Area 51. (Main IC RP)

She looked around the room and swallowed a little. God... she hoped not. Five people? That didn't even seem possible out of how many millions of people must live between those cities?

Liza made a face as he offered an idea. "Good point... no one's been puking right? I think that's a symptom." She asked looking around at the group. She didn't know much about radiation sickness, but she read a On The Beach about the wait for the end of the world from nuclear fallout, in her last english course in college and it'd gone over the symptoms. Whether that was accurate or just the book, how would she know? Could be, although she hope not. Still, Liza remembered the rushed wave of heated air that seemed to hit before the rest of the shocks happened.

The girl who'd been standing with her seemed paler to her, and walked away from the two. If she needed to be alone, Liza would understand. "At least we're not alone against whatever is going on," She said to the dark haired boy. He seemed like he had a good head on him, and that would be important for them to all have if they were going to figure this all out. "I'm Liza," She said, crossing her arms and shrugging lightly towards him. There were at least some other people in the same boat as her. but Liza was distracted by the suddenly overwhelming smell of salt. It was out of nowhere. Salt wasn't that strong of a smell unless you were near an ocean, but it was suddenly in the room and hadn't been before.

Her head turned around questioningly but she couldn't place it, or why she could smell it so strongly. She heard the girl in the corner say very loudly that she was an idiot. Liza looked down, and then back up as the girl curled up tighter into herself. If she were saying something so loud she must not really want to be alone. Liza sighed and glanced once at the boy before she gestured 'one minute' with her finger. @Shadow

She walked over towards the girl and crouched down, usure if this was a good thing to do... they were complete strangers. But, they were all taken and held here with no real knowledge of what was going on, and she was sure every one of these people must have been through exactly what she just had been. "Hey," She called softly, but kept her hands on her knees. "This is freakin' crazy, and hard" She muttered, unsure of what to say. "I get it, I just... watched my best friend get crushed by a building," She said thickly and pushed past it. Her father, Pax, her only family, they were probably dead too. "But it's not any of our faults, it all happened in a split second. We gotta try and hold it together and make sure we're not in more danger now," Liza didn't know if this would make the matter worse, but she wanted to at least try something. When she'd always been glad when someone came and comforted her. Maybe she wasn't doing that, she didn't know how this girl was, but at least she wouldn't be alone. Or think this was her fault. @I n t e l l i g e n c e

Last edited by a moderator:
"...." Aislinn looked up at Eliza with a raised eyebrow. For a second, she didn't quite understand what she was talking about. But after a few more minutes of listening, she realized that Eliza was just talking about the entire situation. Giving a half hearted shrug, Aislinn forced a nod, 

"yeah.... Yeah thanks..." She gave a small smile and stretched. All at once a wave of nausea rolled over Aislinn and she gulped covering her mouth and taking deep breaths. As she did this she felt a small tug at her gut, and thinking that it'd help, she clenched her gut and closed her eyes. After a little bit, Aislinn's hand began to get strangely warmer as she continued to clench her gut. Opening her eyes and lifting up her hand, Aislinn's eyes widened in horror as a small flame flickered back and fourth across her hand. Unclenching her gut, Aislinn watched at the flame seemed to melt into her hand and disappear leaving nothing  but a small smoke trail, spiraling across her palm. 

Rebel David

View attachment 236357

"Miami was wiped out too?" She asked with a cocked eyebrow. "Didn't know that. Oh, and I'm from New York," Rebel said, taking a sip if her drink that she had quickly grabbed while Alex was asking questions. "Last one from New York too. Which I heard a few of the grunts saying should be impossible. I was real close to whatever flattened the city, so I should be dead." 

"As to what's going on,no little robot explained, but isn't it obvious? We're in the start of some Sci-Fi horror movie. Secert government base, special survivors, nobody telling us what the hell is going on. Not to mention, the military is fucking every where." The young woman aid this with a scoff, "Ridiculous huh?" She muttered, before actually noticing the other people as well. "See, now there's five of us." @Jefferson

As she stretched she took the chance to stand up and get out of her personal space. She thanked her, whether it was helpful or not... she'd tried at least. 

Liza frowned as the girl's face pinched and she suddenly swallowed and covered her mouth.

Panic leapt in her throat and her head snapped over her shoulder to the boy at the table. Her thoughts on the radiation conversation. Her first instinct was to dart away to not be near someone who was sick, but you couldn't catch radiation sickness. Besides, if that's what it was... they probably all had it. 

She crouched back down and looked at the girl guiltily, knowing if that's what it was she was probably going to die... She watched almost dumbfounded as the girls hand caught on fire.  After a second the realization hit her. Liza let out a short, loud shout and fell backwards onto the floor, the shock making her lose her balance.

She stared but it was already gone. She'd think she was hallucinating but the other girl looked stunned to.

"What the hell was that!?" She gasped for words, searching the girls face as she scrambled off the ground where she'd fallen back. 

Survivor meeting room.

Alex was about to respond when he noticed the girl in the other side of the rooms arm burst into flame for a second. 

"Tha fu.." he started but the massive floor to ceiling television flashed on showing a man in his late fourties. 

IMG_1088.PNG

"Hello and my condolences for your losses. The rest of the world feels just about as horrible as I'd imagine you do at the moment." The man on the screen says. "My name is Joseph Argus and as of five hours ago I became the acting president of the United States. My first Act as president was to find out what happened, upon finding out that there were survivors I immediately instituted the program you find yourself in." He seems to actually be looking at them showing that this was no pre recorded speech. " Now I'm gonna be frank with you, each of you have a radiation signature matching the meteor from your respective cities. Scientist theorize that it can have extreme effects on your DNA, but it's harmful to others. You will be kept here monitored constantly until we can find a way for you to interact with people safely again." He ashes the cigar he was holding before continuing. "If you work with us and report any changes in your condition this can all be over quickly and we can find a better use for the five of you than sitting around in a bunker." He stood waiting for the questions that were sure to come.

The Reaserch Breifing Room.

Once the other scientists arrived Foust floated to the center of the table. 

"Good day my friends, Before we begin I would like to fill you in on recent developments. The radiation signals of the subjects seems to be syncing up with one another and stabilizing...I predict that the theorized metamorphosis will be complete within three hours, at which point the radiation should dissipate and the survivors will be safe for interaction we should discuss preparations for the procedures to come." The small robot then bowed and floated back to its chair. Looking at doctor Ferdinand for approval.

This was the acting president? The President and Vice President must have been in D.C too. He was a political figure of some sort, she recognized him at least so she knew it wasn't a hoax. But wasn't the White House really safe, had a bunker and everything? She knew that was rumors and movies talking... but maybe it had just come on too quickly for even them.

"Usually you sign up for programs." She called, a frown pulling down her face as she looked accusingly at the man on the screen. 

Any other comments she had got cut off as he went on and said they were all radiated. Dammit.... Liza didn't feel sick though! She swallowed and glanced around at each of them. Her devastation quickly replaced the suspicion towards all this.

"Wh-what sort of effects?" She asked, her eyes jumping up again and staring firmly. "Don't sugar coat it, how long until we're dead?" She snapped. Safe to interact with... people died from severe radiation poisoning but usually it wasn't something you could catch... none of this added up.

Kieran was a bit surprised when one of the girls seemed to be contemplating his idea of the meteors being radioactive. "I haven't seen anyone throw up...." He said, pausing slightly to gauge his own state of health. He didn't feel nauseous, although he still had a knot in his chest. That was probably just because of nervousness, though.

"Kieran. Nice to meet you." He said with a grin when Liza introduced herself. It was nice of her to say that none of them were alone. While they were all still strangers, they had just been through similar tragic events. Hopefully that would help them bond a faster they would under normal circumstances.

He nodded slightly when Liza followed the other girl to the farthest corner. He watched them in concern, wondering if he should try to help. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at comforting people that he didn't know, so he should probably just leave it to Liza. He jumped slightly when the girl's hand began flaming for no apparent reason. But he didn't have much time to question it as the screen suddenly came to life. 

He listened quietly, trying to figure out what 'extreme effects on your DNA' meant. The man's condolences weren't exactly encouraging either. Denial probably wasn't the best route, but he refused to accept that his parents were dead. He also didn't like the idea that he was stuck here until some random person in a suit decided he could leave. However, if he really was at their mercy it would be best if he didn't try to piss them off. So he stood quietly, waiting to see what questions the others would ask.

Captain Gerhardt looked at Faust, his expression remained neutral. He finally spoke, his volume was mild and yet his voice seemed to carry across the entire room.
   "Before I was deployed, I was inoculated against radiation poisoning. It will protect against high levels of radiation contact for about an hour at a time. If contact needs to be made sooner, I am available to do so."
As he spoke, he looked at each of the Scientist's in turn.   

"Good day my friends, Before we begin I would like to fill you in on recent developments. The radiation signals of the subjects seems to be syncing up with one another and stabilizing...I predict that the theorized metamorphosis will be complete within three hours, at which point the radiation should dissipate and the survivors will be safe for interaction we should discuss preparations for the procedures to come." The small robot then bowed and floated back to its chair. Looking at doctor Ferdinand for approval.

"Yep! Very good Foust!" Ozzy said, before gently patting the cute robot on its head.

"As well as monitoring the radiation levels within the chamber, we shall be splitting the lab team up into two teams! One will be monitoring the pieces and substances from the meteorites that were left at the ground zero points. Then, the other team will be monitoring the vitals of the survivors to try and record this metamorphosis, as our little robot buddy put it."

Survivor meeting room.

Alex was about to respond when he noticed the girl in the other side of the rooms arm burst into flame for a second. 

"Tha fu.." he started but the massive floor to ceiling television flashed on showing a man in his late fourties. 

"Hello and my condolences for your losses. The rest of the world feels just about as horrible as I'd imagine you do at the moment." The man on the screen says. "My name is Joseph Argus and as of five hours ago I became the acting president of the United States. My first Act as president was to find out what happened, upon finding out that there were survivors I immediately instituted the program you find yourself in." He seems to actually be looking at them showing that this was no pre recorded speech. " Now I'm gonna be frank with you, each of you have a radiation signature matching the meteor from your respective cities. Scientist theorize that it can have extreme effects on your DNA, but it's harmful to others. You will be kept here monitored constantly until we can find a way for you to interact with people safely again." He ashes the cigar he was holding before continuing. "If you work with us and report any changes in your condition this can all be over quickly and we can find a better use for the five of you than sitting around in a bunker." He stood waiting for the questions that were sure to come.

"Better use?" Aislinn scoffed quietly and smirked, "Probably something like forcing us into the military as secret weapons." she grumbled and continued to watch the video. Standing up, Aislinn wobbled slightly, but placed a firm hand on the wall close by. She still had a small hint of nausea, but Aislinn refused to have such a small thing hold her back. Inching closer to the rest of the group, Aislinn would watch the video screen, before glancing around the rest of the group nervously wondering if any of them had seen her unusual flame episode. I wonder if any of them can do extremely weird things... she thought silently and continued to glance around the room with a confused and suspicious look. then again, who am I to look at them suspiciously, I legit had my entire hand on fire and was fine with it. Aislinn reached up and stroked her chin, deep in thought as she looked back up at the screen, and continued staring at it even after silence filled the room. 

Sitka watched attentively as Foust explained the scenario. Those poor people... radiated, and now possibly mutated? Whatever the outcome, it wasn't natural and if there were anywhere in the world that could help them... Sitka truly believed it was here. "What a strange form of radiation," He muttered, more to himself than the others. Still he looked down at his files and shook his head. They were sadly very scantily clad of information. He'd studied a lot on radiation's effect on people and simply the hostile environment of space with his time both in school and at NASA. But for all the human race had managed to gather and understand... there was ten times that information out there waiting to be discovered. Sitka didn't envy these people.

He turned to Ferdinand as he spoke of their plan and nodded along. "Where would you like me sir?" He asked, looking at the sheets again. "I would likely prove more useful studying the meteorite samples," Honestly that was where his expertise was, not in the biological side of things. As it was, these were going to be unpredictable and new sorts of results, whatever interaction it was having with their bodies to have not started to kill them. Or that they were possibly alive, as well.

Rebel David

View attachment 236357

"Why the fuck do you look like a Metal Gear villain?" Rebel asked, completely blowing off everything else he had just said."Cause, I don't know about everyone else here, but I don't t really want to be a part of soem diabolical plan to rule the world or some shit." Rebel crossed her arms, showing a small wince as she did though it pained her shoulder a bit. She wanted to add something else, but decided what she had said was good enough, and continued to glare at the man on the screen. She wasn't the most trusting in the best of times, so, seeing as how she just lost fucking everyone she cared about and nearly died, you should see how she'd be a bit snappy.

@Jefferson

Aislinn would chuckle in agreement at Rebel's comment and glance up at the screen, just waiting for the President's response to the girl's sarcastic response. Her brown eyes flitted around the room at everyone else around the room, watching their expressions change. 

Aislinn moved closer and Liza felt better with her bad Kieran next to her. The more of a group they were, weren't they better off? 

The other girl who'd been off to the side with the guy eating all the food, started to snap at the guy. She frowned and glanced to the side to Kieran. Liza for her frustration and some of it, not the video game or the ruling the world bit, but just the fear of being shoved here.

Even so, it wouldn't be smart for them to piss this guy off. 

"Listen, I'm sure you can get why we're all a little hesitant, being brought here with no information or choice after all we just witnessed."

Kieran winced slightly at one of the girls' cussing. Personally, he wouldn't have minded, but the massive man on the other side of the screen didn't seem like a good person to speak so freely around. He returned Liza's glance, forehead furrowed in concern. His attention snapped back to the screen as he tried to catch any hint as to what the man's reaction would be. Hopefully he was fully prepared for the cussing, sass, and sarcastic comments that a group of traumatized teenagers was likely to bring to the situation.

"We need to define a course of action for the next coming weeks. I do not know if you have a plan for these young people yet but the sooner we get a set schedule in place, the sooner they'll know what to expect and the more likely they are to cooperate." 
Captain Gerhardt said, looking at the scientists around the room. 
  "They are already worried and scared, they are going to be hostile for the first little bit. These individuals have abilities the likes of which we have never seen before. Right now, they are untrained and prone to losing their tempers. I am confident that even if they lose control, I can put them down but only because they are not trained yet. However, I doubt that anyone else without extensive combat training would be able to do so. That makes them a risk to all of you. We need to set our priorities and decide what we value above what. First and foremost, I want to hear everyone in this room say out loud that these are people, not test subjects. We are here to help them, not experiment not on them."

@FarFlungDreamer

@Safety Hammer

@Doctor Nope

"We need to define a course of action for the next coming weeks. I do not know if you have a plan for these young people yet but the sooner we get a set schedule in place, the sooner they'll know what to expect and the more likely they are to cooperate." 
Captain Gerhardt said, looking at the scientists around the room. 
  "They are already worried and scared, they are going to be hostile for the first little bit. These individuals have abilities the likes of which we have never seen before. Right now, they are untrained and prone to losing their tempers. I am confident that even if they lose control, I can put them down but only because they are not trained yet. However, I doubt that anyone else without extensive combat training would be able to do so. That makes them a risk to all of you. We need to set our priorities and decide what we value above what. First and foremost, I want to hear everyone in this room say out loud that these are people, not test subjects. We are here to help them, not experiment not on them."

@FarFlungDreamer

@Safety Hammer

@Doctor Nope

"Sir, I feel that you are misconstruing the message of our President." Dr. Ferdinand said, getting rather serious. He did not approve of the captain's attitude.

"I have executive orders from The General to not only observe behavior and health, but put them through psychological and physical testing. As chief scientist in this operation, I answer only to the General and The President. Do not confuse my words with ones of distaste and disgust. I only hold pity and love in my heart for these poor souls. But I will not have my feelings get in the way of my work. As should you, Captain. These survivors are both people and test subjects. And unless you have The General tell me otherwise, no opinion shall change."

"My job is to train them and teach them control, nothing more, nothing less. However, from past experiences, I have learned first hand what happens when someone is treated as a subject first and a person second. Make no mistake, I understand that you have a job to do but as do I. That is all that I have left to say on that subject. Let us move on."
Captain Gerhardt replied, his tone remaining matter of fact as it had been before.

"Now, now," He spoke sternly, and took a puff from his cigar. "I want you all to understand that you're only being held here to ensure your own safety and the safety of others. No one's being used a weapon, no one is ruling the world, and this isn't a program. Nor will any of you be kept here against your will after you've cleared... think of it as a quarantine. You'll be provided with everything to keep you comfortable. You're all citizens of the United States, and have rights, but we can't allow anyone to be hurt by this unknown radiation, including yourselves. I'm sure none of you want that. @Shadow

Secondly, we've never seen this sort of radiation, and it doesn't appear to be killing any of you. In fact, as I said, it's receded since the time you've all been gathered from your cities. The very best from around the country have been brought on to help you all. Again, if you work with them to help yourselves, this will all be over quickly."

@Jefferson

@I n t e l l i g e n c e

@Shadow

@FireMaiden

Liza looked around at the group and felt herself calm slightly. Maybe they'd jumped the gun on this place. Maybe they hadn't and they were right to be worried. But something happened, clearly... and maybe she needed to stay in this place at least long enough to figure out what happened. If they did as they said... she'd be able to go after that and be able to find her Dad. If not... then she'd deal with it when she met that bridge. Besides it was the acting president wasn't it? That had to be worth something.                                           

"Fair enough," She said to the man on the screen. "You said there's people to help us?"

"The best of the best!" The man on screen assured her and ashed his cigar again. "They'll be in when they can to explain more. I know this is a difficult time but you will have all the help the United States government can give."

Kieran felt himself relaxing slightly as the man on the screen explained more about why they were being kept here. One thing was nagging at him, though. He was certainly not a genius, but the whole 'radiation' thing seemed strange. Wasn't radiation supposed to kill someone within a few hours? And even if it didn't kill them, they should at least be feeling pretty miserable by now, right? Hopefully some of the people that were supposed to help them would be able to explain what the unknown radiation was a little better than the man in the suit could. After all, the man didn't look like a scientist or a doctor, so he probably knew as much about the radiation as they did.

He glanced at the others for a moment, relieved to see that none of them were having complete mental breakdowns or anything. This was a lot to take in right after what they had just been through and he felt a bit shaky himself. Not that he was going to go completely crazy, but it might take him a little while to adjust. Something suddenly occurred to him and he raised his hand cautiously. 

"Um...sir? I was just wondering about our families. I know we are the only survivors from our respective cities, but it might be nice to know for sure...." He said, unable to look up. Hoping that his parents were alive might make him feel better, but it wouldn't help anything to lie to himself.

"Unfortunately son, we're still figuring out the high death tolls... it may take some time to match identities."

Liza looked down, closing her eyes for a second. She... she couldn't help the images that came to mind. Of dead bodies... who knew how, crushed, burned... she just couldn't imagine everyone was dead, though. Maybe there was a chance some of the people they all knew or lived with would be found. These cities must have millions upon millions... how could millions die so quickly? Then again, that's what wiped out entire races in the past, right?

She swallowed the uncomfortable thoughts.

"If you know your family was in one of the affected cities, then on behalf of the entire country, I'm sorry to say, no one has been found or likely will be."

"Can we... try and call other relatives?" She asked, watching carefully. She didn't have any, except for Pax if he didn't get a new burner since she got his number. But the others might... she just wanted to try... her father was out of the city all the time. So was Pax.

"Not from inside the base, I'm afraid," The man spoke. "But as soon as you've all cleared quarantine we will provide any help we can."

"I understand," She muttered, looking down and trying mask any anger. She didn't care if this was some secret base or not... she didn't think it was right they couldn't contact their families. What if someone had parents in another state, and they thought they were dead? Then again... it was a military compound. She glanced around at the others to gauge what they were thinking and then glanced back at the screen. The man seemed distracted and then apparently was satisfied.

"Now, I must go, but the faculty will soon be here to exam you all and help you all."

She sighed as the screen flickered off. It took her a moment, to take in all the information and then she turned to the others. She glanced over at Kieran and sighed. "I'm not even sure what to really think about any of that." Honestly she wasn't, it was all so contradicting... and devastating. But most of all she just wanted to know what was going on with this radiation thing... if they couldn't find out about their families now... and likely none of them had any to go back to, she wanted to know what was happening to her. Liza also wondered if she was going  crazy, because she could swear she could hear footsteps coming from all over, but she couldn't see anyone and they sounded so distant there was no way she would be able to.

@Shadow

"Yes sir," He said to the captain. @ModernRanger Sitka understood, certainly, and while he usually got lost in the science of things... the Captain was correct... it would be irresponsible and downright inhuman to treat them like science. He watched quietly, glancing at the other level six scientist and then to his files. He shuffled them nervously as the two men exchanged a heated debate.

The Captain said to drop it and Doctor Ferdinand seemed the same. So Sitka cleared his throat. "If you'd like, I can get the tests set up, sirs," He addressed them both. The radiation was doing something to them on a biological level. They'd need extensive testing and Sitka knew the premise enough to set it up.

It was then, that Foust spoke up. Sitka looked at him with interest.

"The survivors are in need of further direction. You are inoculated, Captain Gernhard, you should go and explain their schedule to them. Doctor Ferdinand, do you approve?" The little droid questioned with a lull in his vocabulator. He was looking for approval, in his own way, and Sitka chuckled at the AI. In Sitka's opinion, Captain Gernhard seemed more than capable of treating them firmly and also softly enough in such dire circumstances. @Safety Hammer @Doctor Nope @ModernRanger 

Users who are viewing this thread