Other Are you left-handed, right-handed, ambidextrous, or cross-hand dominant?

Are you left-handed, right-handed, ambidextrous, or cross-hand dominate?

• Left-Handed

• Right-Handed

• Ambidextrous

• Cross-Hand Dominant

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Story-time.

I used to identify as being left-handed because I write and draw with my left hand. However, I am able to use my right hand as well with things that lefties are supposed to find difficult or even impossible to use, things such as scissors and can openers.

This doesn't actually make me left-handed, but instead I am cross-hand dominant. (Side joke, now when people see me write and ask if I am left handed, I can tell them "No, I am cross-hand dominant." and get confused looks.)

So, before you vote, here is some information:

Right-handed
- You basically do everything with your right hand. Write, draw, use scissors, throw a ball, use a can opener, etc.

Left-handed
- You basically do everything with your left hand. Write, draw, use scissors, throw a ball, use a can opener, etc.

Ambidextrous
- You can use both hands equally well with the same tasks. This means you can write well with both hands, throw a ball, and so on. FYI only 1% of the population is ambidextrous.

Cross-Hand Dominant
- You prefer or favor different hands for different tasks. Such as writing with your left hand and using a mouse with your right. Or Throwing with your right hand, and holding a mug with your left.

So, where you do fall on this list?

Teh Dergon is Cross-hand dominant too, apperently. I write and use a mouse with my right hand, but tend to type mostly with my left, open doors and such with my left, etc.
Me has learn a thang 'bout mahself :D :p

Last edited:
I am mostly left handed, but I can use my right hand for some things because of a severe injury to my left arm and wrist in my teenage years. So I can clean myself, eat, open doors, and do other simple necessities equally well with both hands. However, my handwriting is far stronger with my left hand and my right hand is far more coordinated with musical instruments.

Right handed :3 I can do very few things with my left. I get jealous of people that can use scissors with their left hand x3 they make it look so easy...

Left-handed. How anyone can possibly use scissors normally or hold a pencil with ease in their right hand is beyond me. Even holding a spoon and using it is difficult. It's like I only have true control with my left, and it kind of sucks.

Ah, well. Being a leftie has its perks too. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm left handed, but my hand dexterity is crap anyway. I can barely write, and I can't use scissors to save my life.

Don't worry, I couldn't write cursive until I was 10 and my right hand still gets tired after writing maybe 10 words.
Left-handed. How anyone can possibly use scissors normally or hold a pencil with ease in their right hand is beyond me. Even holding a spoon and using it is difficult. It's like I only have true control with my left, and it kind of sucks.

Ah, well. Being a leftie has its perks too. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I can *sort of* use a pair of scissors with my right hand. Not very well though.

I hated that left sided injury. I removed the wrap and splint as soon as I had most of my range of motion back.

You would be very wrong. :p But I might have to learn sometime soon because I'm getting artist's hand (carpal tunnel) in my right hand lol

just found out that i'm actually cross dominant!
i write on my right & smash opponents in ping pong with my left :coolshades:

Right handed but I want to learn to throw a frisbee ok with my left hand
(and my right hand ssh)

That way during ultimate frisbee I can mess up defenders who are covering me.

I guess I'm cross hand dominant since I use my left hand primarily but I instinctively use my right hand for other things like a mouse or bowling. The more you know.

I feel like that "cross-hand dominant" thing leaves leeway for way too much interpretation, cause I mean, so long as we have two hands humans beings will use them both. There are always gonna be thing you do with your not dominant hand because you are busy with the other or because a particular product is made to be used with a particular hand or because media influenced you. So I feel like the defintion should be made more specific.

In any case, right-hand man here

I feel like that "cross-hand dominant" thing leaves leeway for way too much interpretation, cause I mean, so long as we have two hands humans beings will use them both. There are always gonna be thing you do with your not dominant hand because you are busy with the other or because a particular product is made to be used with a particular hand or because media influenced you. So I feel like the defintion should be made more specific.

In any case, right-hand man here
There are varying statistics about how common being cross-hand dominant is. I read one article stating it was 1% population (like being ambidextrous) while another states it's about 35%. I'm honestly personally leaning more towards it being more common because I myself as a left-handed writer, learned to use right-handed items. However, I never found it difficult to learn to use right-handed items, I just could never train myself to write with my right-hand very well. Though for a short period of time in my life I was able to write with both hands equally well until I was no longer being forced to write with my right hand.

There isn't any good definition for cross-hand dominant and most scholarly articles and study don't focus on really defining it beyond the way I've written it in the OP. Instead they go over things like how being cross-hand dominant relates to mental and health issues as well as why people have x-dominant hand or are mixed handed.

There are varying statistics about how common being cross-hand dominant is. I read one article stating it was 1% population (like being ambidextrous) while another states it's about 35%. I'm honestly personally leaning more towards it being more common because I myself as a left-handed writer, learned to use right-handed items. However, I never found it difficult to learn to use right-handed items, I just could never train myself to write with my right-hand very well. Though for a short period of time in my life I was able to write with both hands equally well until I was no longer being forced to write with my right hand.

There isn't any good definition for cross-hand dominant and most scholarly articles and study don't focus on really defining it beyond the way I've written it in the OP. Instead they go over things like how being cross-hand dominant relates to mental and health issues as well as why people have x-dominant hand or are mixed handed.
It's really sounding a lot like some of those studies made for the headlines. I'm not saying the concept doesn't exist at all, but there are a lot of made-up concepts nowadayss that just have no scientific basis and this is sounding more like one of them the more I hear about it

I'm left-handed, but I can use my right hand reliably as well. I guess it's because most things in the world are optimized with right-handed people in mind, so I just sort of adapted to it. I still prefer my left hand, though.

It's really sounding a lot like some of those studies made for the headlines. I'm not saying the concept doesn't exist at all, but there are a lot of made-up concepts nowadayss that just have no scientific basis and this is sounding more like one of them the more I hear about it
If it was just like one research paper - sure - I'd say it was for sensationalism. Honestly, I think being cross-dominant is mostly just left-handed people adapting to use items designed to be used for the right hand. I wonder... if being ambidextrous also comes with the same potential issues as being mixed-handed. >_>

Wow. I didn't realize "cross hand dominant" was a thing.
For the longest time I was left-handed, until I realized my off-hand was not nearly as useless as most other people's.
I assumed I was ambidexterous, but I don't just use either hand for everything (if that makes sense).
I do most things that require precision with my left hand - like eating, writing, knitting.
I do most things that require strength with my right hand - like sports, using the can opener, etc.
But I hold babies with my left hand. I cut with my right hand.
I also *can* write with my right hand. And both at once, actually.

How are Cross Dominance and Learning Disabilities Linked?
I actually just found this article which I find interesting. They theorize that cross-dominance is often related to imbalance brain function :O

Last edited by a moderator:
That moment you realize twenty-something votes in and you're still the only ambidextrous person to have voted. Brilliance comes with loneliness, I suppose.

That moment you realize twenty-something votes in and you're still the only ambidextrous person to have voted. Brilliance comes with loneliness, I suppose.
You are the 1% :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back