Tech Apple vs Android

Apple Or Android?

• Total voters

flame1125

Computer Geek 001
Hey, today a few of my friends had this big argument over whether Apple is better or Android. I voted for the latter as I like how android is more flexible. I am not just leaving this so people will feel embarrassed or angry when replying to this, that was just my opinion. So what's yours???? Use either the poll or the comments to fight it out, and I will be joining you until there is a final decision.

Below is my opinion and my opinion only. Do not take it as anything other than opinion. This is not fact.

I personally prefer Android devices, due to the extensive customization (with AND without root) and the ability to craft my mobile device to MY NEEDS.

The ease of use of Apple devices has always been a big 'selling point' to people, but I find such a structured setup to be stifling. I would rather have the 'freedom' to be able to mess something up and figure out how to fix it, rather than be unable to completely bork something at all.

Just my two cents!

TL;DR: Android works for me. YMMV

I like android, but I've been given a iphone in the aftermath of my previous phone breaking.

And besides some minor annoyances that I can't change, and the fact that jailbreaking has been blocked on the OS version it came with, and that it's refusing to activate on my number for some god forsaken reason, I actually don't mind it much, the UI isn't bad, and I'll admit it is pretty smooth.

Is there an option for equal affection towards both operating systems?

I have fond feelings for Apple. My first music player was from Apple. Consequently, a lot of my media is tied up in iTunes. And, currently, most of my devices are from Apple. Since Apple and Android don't necessarily like to play nicely... Sticking with Apple products is just easier. I don't have to jump through hoops or hold rituals to beg the technology gods for (mercy) help.

But I did have an Android phone--briefly--and I liked it just fine. It was a nice phone. And the cameras on Android phones are fantastic. I was shocked when Apple kept the 8MP camera on the iPhone 6. Especially since Android boasts 16MP camera.

I also used to work with Android tablets, and I enjoyed the flexibility. Not to mention, Android kicks up less of a fuss when I hook it up to the PC.

Regardless, though, Apple and Android both offer great products.

Yes! Yes! Owen Hunter! You have thrown a beautiful gem into the General discussion. (<3).

I love Android, but loathe it. I hate Apple, but envy it.

Apple makes some sweet stuff. They have a great brand behind them. If you get something from Apple, you know you have quality, will get help if it malfunctions, and get to be with the in-group. Their devices really feel special. From purchasing it, to opening it, to holding it in your hands. Yet with all the clout Apple has, they are very tight. As Grin said, not as much customization and things users can do to change-up how their device works. (Why doesn't the iPhone have a real "back button?" So annoying.)

Android is open. Haha. That's all I can really say. Their devices can do the weirdest things, and have the oddest options...>.> (Airview on the Galaxy Phone??)

Android is super cool, but all the big names do stuff for Apple first. Sometimes even Apple only. *Shrugs*

If they made an Apploid device, I'd buy it in a heart-beat!

I could say apple but then android has a lot of advantages that apple fail to show.. so both or cool...

Android

They run good Emulators, plus they can download music, and don't need iTunes to do it

I've never liked Apple for those reasons. I'm sure it has it's uses

Up until the iPhone 6, I was so anti-apple it wasn't even funny. 3 years ago me would punch current me for selling out. Punch away former-self.

Androids were always cheaper and I could make them look the way I wanted and all of the huge tech advances we impressive. BUT, then Android started to slow in their development. There is virtually no difference between a Galaxy 4 and a Galaxy 5 other than cosmetics. That was a bummer when my 4 started acting up and then got ran over by a car (long story). So I went shopping.

I could never justify getting an iphone for these reasons: the camera sucked, the versatility was awful, and it was so much more expensive than anything else. Then I looked at the iphone that was going to be released in 4 days and found they had really improved. The camera is AWESOME! And the new os is actually very customizable (not as much as an android, but every time i tried to do something cool with them, it just slowed down my phone anyway). And finally, Galaxy phones are now just as expensive as iphones so what was the point. I decided to give it a try, because what did I have to lose.

I like apple because of their customer service, I can always get it fixed if it breaks. But to be honest, I have not had a single problem with connectivity or structure. I actually love my phone.

I used to have an Android way back when and had so many problems with it, even within a year of purchasing. Then I got the iPhone 4S and have officially had it for 3 years with little to no issues. I don't know how the newer Androids vs. iPhones are, but when I bought mine, Apple was definitely a more reliable product in my opinion.

Android all the way.

I absolutely love the customization it offers.

I've had an iPhone 5 shortly after they came out. It was great at that point in time all things considered.

I was unhappy with the limited amount of customization, how you were shackled by having to buy music and ringtones from iTunes, and it was just too simplified for my tastes.

I went from that to a Motorola X, which aside from being able to custom make the shell and some internal features, it wasn't really anything special other than the processing speed being pretty decent.

From there I went to a Samsung Note 4, and now I have a Samsung Note Edge.

I couldn't be happier with my Edge. I truly love it. The edge was weird at first, but I grew to utilize it quite effectively. I can manage to make it do whatever I like, and I'm not shackled to iTunes either.

Android > Apple

honestly? i've used both OSs and i don't understand the hype around android. the system itself is adequate but nothing stoodout to me to be significantly better than apple other than the hipsterness of it.

i'm using a jailbroken iphone 6 plus and i love it. maybe it's the ecosystem of the device or the overall reliability of apple's porducts that i like. i had the iphone 4 for almost 3 years before i got the 6 plus and it was wonderful. the only complaint i had was that the battery was losing it's juice after a while but that's to be expected. graphics are awesomeon the 6 plus and there is tons of support for it now. excuse the gramatical errors, sometimes it's difficult typing on an ipad ;P

Well I''m not biased between the two. I actually love both operating systems. For a year straight I used a Nexus 5 and loved it. Kitkat and Lollipop was amazing. Just a few weeks ago I switch back to an iPhone and and love iOS 8. If I had to pick I would prefer and iPhone but when it goes over to tablets I'll get an android.

All apple products just seem faster to me. They never slow down, or at least I find they don't, no matter how long you've had them. Of course, if they fall on the ground or drop them in water it's going to break, but that's just gadgets (and Apple's need for style over protective hardware /sigh).

Background - I grew up with PC's/Windows and only started using Apple products for the passed few years. I also work in the tech industry, so I work on both OS's a lot. I haven't used much of the newer Andriod devices, but I have seen some friends that do have them, and they are incredibly slow. B

Also, most of these complaints are about customization abd being tied to iTunes for music. Just jailbreak your iOS devices. You get access to that after you break it open.

If you don't want to break your device, there's at least 5 good free music apps that I can name off the top of my head. The one I primarily use is called 'Musify' and it's very good. Of course, it doesn't have everything, but it's a lot like binsearch. It caches the songs you want on your device. Unfortunately it's all stored in the app so you'll have to go through that to get to it. But, it has worldwide music charts you can search though and it's fairly well-organized. Ya gotta think outside the box and take risks sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Immortal Pizza]ANDROID FTW bc Blue and black!
jk LOL But yes, I vote for Android. I just hate apple.

[/QUOTE]
I am sooooo like you!

I prefer androids because, unlike apple that requires you to have an entire account that keeps requesting a password to do anything on a device with only two abilities, Samsung only requires a Gmail; an Email account that currently supplies you with an entire drive that is an easier program than Microsoft office requiring a flash drive, YouTube, an ability to shop online with a shopping list, and so much more.

The correct answer is "they are both terrible". It's true that Android is the least terrible of the two, but it's still awful. Why? None of them are free, or at least truly free.

iOS is a proprietary walled garden that barely lets you truly own your phone, as we already know. iPhones are borderline unusable before being jailbroken, and unless you have Apple everything don't expect the devices to cooperate much. Hell, last time I checked. the only way to extract video filmed with an iPhone's camera was either uploading it to the net or to connect it to an OS X computer.

Android, while technically free and open source, is absolute garbage without Google Apps, which are proprietary spyware programs designed to collect data about every single one of your activities. To make it worse, core AOSP packages are slowly becoming replaced by proprietary Google brand counterparts. If it wasn't because Linux's license forces it to be libre, I bet Google would have made it proprietary long ago.

In other words, Android wins in flexibility, but I would rather shoot myself in the foot before having to use any of these for my personal computing needs.

The only way to make your phone truly free, flexible and usable is to install Gentoo on it. And even then, you will still have to deal with stuff like the proprietary baseband processor.

You should read these articles on the matter. They truly explain very well the topics mentioned before.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/malware-apple.html

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/malware-mobiles.html

"iPhones are borderline unusable after being jailbroken."

Please tell me how my iPhone is unusable while I'm typing this message, texting my pal, and downloading an app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back