Other Anyone part of the lgbt community?

I find it hard being a lesbian. My family cut me out of their lives because I'm lesbian. So now I feel nervous saying it. Even here.

See my point?

This type of segregation concerning sexual orientations don't really support overall equality. It tends to curtain off the intermingling of respective, varied communities. It immediately tries to classify people who don't exactly share the trials and tribulations of the community he's butting in on as trolls. Freaks of nature. Inhumane entities. It's disruptive, and massively evil.

Straight people don't have pride events or typically aren't included in gay events because they've never needed to be (historically the "allies" part of lgbt was meant to be for closeted people so they could have reasonable denial even if they still participated, and in parade events and such they needed funding and help from anyone who was willing to give it). The first parade was the Stonewall Riot, and in the past gay and trans people have had to fight to not be arrested or killed for existing. During the aids crisis many people were refused help and left to die- the government had an active part in those deaths. A lot of people still are in situations where it would be literally dangerous to their livelihood to come out- children are beaten, kicked out, etc by their parents and it can still be a dangerous situation for adults- just look at the pulse shooting. Even if it's illegal it still happens. People are still trying to make gay marriage illegal again, conversion therapy isn't illegal in most states.

Like Pine said, online or lgbt groups are often one of the few places people can be and express themselves safely. A lot of gay people struggle to feel any pride at all because of the way society sees us or the way we've been raised.

This isn't about this thread specifically, since it doesn't really apply, but it's not segregation to have lgbt only spaces/events/groups when a lot of people literally need them. A lot of lgbt groups are focused on the unique problems lgbt people have, and providing resources. It's not like we've closed ourselves off from the rest of society or decided that straight people were somehow lower people?

I know you're mostly just joking around, but there's people who genuinely believe what you're saying, so it's not surprising that after hearing these things said by people who are absolutely serious, a lot people would just assume you're also being serious. Especially when your posts come off as bait-y (which I don't think you don't know.)

And find guttural satisfaction by labelling outsiders as trolls?

to further what sathanas said, you weren't called a troll for being heterosexual. you were called a troll because your post was irrelevant to the topic of this thread. two other people have posted as straight cisgender people, but neither of them were "labeled" as an "outsider" because their posts directly stated their experience interacting with people in the lgbt community, a.k.a. the topic of this thread. i'm sure you're aware of this, though.

Yo, I'm a panromantic asexual trans dude so I'm in no matter how you look at it! Hello!

I'm also apparently the LGBT rep here....or I was...I haven't really been doing my duties

Ace! Possibly aro too since I don't really care about getting a relationship. The last thing might also be awkwardness though... But I'm sure about the ace part.

C r y s t a l s C r y s t a l s
I don't think so, personally. I think your sexuality always stays with you, and doesn't change. But you can figure out you're not what you thought you were. so you can't say you "were once" bi. Personally I feel like you either still are, or thought you might have been but figured out this was not the case.

For example: I dated a guy once, thought I loved him but was in a lot of doubt. When he dumped me out of nowhere saying he no longer had feelings for me, I was over it in two days. Before dating him, I didn't care. While dating him everything felt weird and not the way it was "supposed to be". After him I still don't care. Trying to date was, for me, a way to figure out it's not my thing. Perhaps it's the same for you? (In my case it may just have been that in hindsight the guy was a terrible person, and I am just a very awkward ace instead of aro/ace)

I don't mean to be concending or disrespectful in any way, so I hope this wasn't taken as such. Just sharing my experience and thoughts on (changing) sexuality.

C r y s t a l s C r y s t a l s
I don't think so, personally. I think your sexuality always stays with you, and doesn't change. But you can figure out you're not what you thought you were. so you can't say you "were once" bi. Personally I feel like you either still are, or thought you might have been but figured out this was not the case.

For example: I dated a guy once, thought I loved him but was in a lot of doubt. When he dumped me out of nowhere saying he no longer had feelings for me, I was over it in two days. Before dating him, I didn't care. While dating him everything felt weird and not the way it was "supposed to be". After him I still don't care. Trying to date was, for me, a way to figure out it's not my thing. Perhaps it's the same for you? (In my case it may just have been that in hindsight the guy was a terrible person, and I am just a very awkward ace instead of aro/ace)

I don't mean to be concending or disrespectful in any way, so I hope this wasn't taken as such. Just sharing my experience and thoughts on (changing) sexuality.
it's fine, that's how people have explained it to me, but when I post about it I just have a hard time explaining it myself so I just put I once was bisexual or I once had feelings for Either gender.

I didn't mean to offend anyone . my friend called it questioning my sexuality or Bi-curious? idk personally.

Questioning or bi-curious could very well be it too, yeah.

And hey, I'm not offended. Just trying to help a fellow member of the rainbow squad out when they seem confused :)

imo when it comes to asexuality/aromanticism, those can be kind of tack-on labels, in a way?? and not necessarily super defining characteristics, because you're kind of breaking things down into different types of attraction. i think someone can be ace/aro while still having aesthetic attractions, queerplatonic relationships, etc. i don't know if i would call that bisexuality, but there also isn't really too many commonly known labels that i can think of so?? like i agree with mororda about attractions being consistent but just something you haven't realized, except with ace/aro labels. like sometimes it really is just a matter of getting older and becoming sexually/romantically interested with people and maybe resolving some potential trauma, or alternatively going through trauma that makes you lose that attraction in people. i don't think it's a bad thing/inaccurate for those kinds of labels to be seen as more fluid, if that makes sense.

sexuality is really complicated- you can date people of the other sex because that's who you're conditioned into thinking you should like, or you might not realize you're attracted to the other sex because of denial, internalized homophobia, or just not realizing; or from being pressured into it, or because you are attracted to them. i personally think it's possible for sexuality to be fluid/change but not something you could force and definitely not something that would happen overnight.

and then there's the difference between types of attraction and varying intensities and i feel like i won't ever have a simple way of explaining what kind of people i'm attracted to loL. although if you asked me a few years ago i would've said i was 100% ace/aro, and i think i still am those things to different degrees, but my experience is so specific and i'm unsure of the details most of the time so it's easiest for me personally to just say "i'm gay" in a general sense

so yeah it's possible to realize you were wrong about your sexuality, and it's also possible to date people and still be aro and/or ace, or to be either ace or aro and bi (or het or gay) at the same time.

but no one can really tell you what you are except yourself, so the only solution is self-reflection, or even deciding you don't care about labels that much

I'm not a member of the LGBT community and often find myself at odds with it.
But I have a serious question:
How can someone be trans and asexual/bisexual/Tumblrsexual at the same time? Trans means that you were a girl/guy and swapped genders with the other. Bisexual means you're kind of both genders, and asexual means you're neither. And I have no idea what Tumblrsexual is.

How can someone be trans and asexual/bisexual/Tumblrsexual at the same time? Trans means that you were a girl/guy and swapped genders with the other. Bisexual means you're kind of both genders, and asexual means you're neither. And I have no idea what Tumblrsexual is.

yeah, as far as i've heard, tumblrsexual isn't a thing lol. trans just has to do with your personal gender identity (i wouldn't really say swapped genders but u know, semantics). but bisexual, asexual, and other sexualities (i.e. heterosexual, homosexual) are labels used to describe who you're attracted to. so basically, gender identity and sexual orientation are pretty separate from each other. gender identity is about your internal sense of self ABOUT yourself, but sexual orientation is about the interactions you have with others. when you're talking about both genders and neither genders, you're thinking of bigender and agender, respectively.

yeah, as far as i've heard, tumblrsexual isn't a thing lol. trans just has to do with your personal gender identity (i wouldn't really say swapped genders but u know, semantics). but bisexual, asexual, and other sexualities (i.e. heterosexual, homosexual) are labels used to describe who you're attracted to. so basically, gender identity and sexual orientation are pretty separate from each other. gender identity is about your internal sense of self ABOUT yourself, but sexual orientation is about the interactions you have with others. when you're talking about both genders and neither genders, you're thinking of bigender and agender, respectively.
Oh mk.

ya in simpler terms

trans = describes that your body and internal gender don't match up

gay/bisexual/het = describes who you're attracted to

aro/ace = describes the level of attraction you experience (usually means none, very little, or rarely)

so technically someone could be all 3 and it wouldn't contradict

Hi, I'm a straight white Christian cisgender conservative male and the embodiment of everything the LGBT community stands against.
Just wanted to say hi.
Hugs for everyone <3

Anyways, how do all of y'all non-heterosexual individuals feel about straight romance (whether RPing it or reading/watching it)?

Depends on how it's written?

I do like romance with gay or trans characters more than straight romance simply because it's exciting to see romantic stories about other people like me, especially if they're realistic and happy stories with good endings. Since most of what I hear about gay love irl is from conservatives and Christians who think we'll go to hell or that we're evil or that any non-straight relationship won't end well. (And for the straight Christians reading this no, I'm not saying this is every Christian, just my family & neighborhood in particular and the church my family goes to.)

I also still like romance with gay or trans characters when it's not a happy ending or necessarily healthy relationship, as long as it's not an annoying stereotype/trope or basically repeating the sentiment that gay relationships never end well/can't last/etc (i.e, written with an anti-gay message/implications.)

I don't mind straight romance either, as long as it's written well or is interesting.

In terms of rp the genders or orientation of characters don't matter to me much. As long as their relationship and its development is interesting, and it's not a forced romance either. I don't really seek purely romance rps but that's just personal preference.

tl;dr: i like any romance as long as it's interesting and the writing's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back