Other Any MUNers out here?

Garnet

3 foxes in a trench coat
My MUN journey its well on its way buut I still have a lot to learn
Just wondering how many of you guys do it too, if so;
- Why do you do it? For fun? Academically?
- How long?
- Where have you been, which conferences?

I was in my high school MUN for 3 years from sophmore to senior year. The one I was in only went to the Middle Tennessee Conference, which was always fun, being able to argue against hundreds of other students about governmental policies and international politics. It was quite an experience for me, since I originally intended to join in because my friends were in it, but the research and the problem solving was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

I was in my high school MUN for 3 years from sophmore to senior year. The one I was in only went to the Middle Tennessee Conference, which was always fun, being able to argue against hundreds of other students about governmental policies and international politics. It was quite an experience for me, since I originally intended to join in because my friends were in it, but the research and the problem solving was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

That's really cool! I feel like people don't get how fun MUN is until they actually try it, I honestly wish I had joined sooner. But I'd really like to know, was the Middle Tennessee Conference very formal (were there joke resolutions or were the chairs strict about laughing)? Is it a common thing in America (never met an American MUNer but I assume it would be, considering the headquarters is based there.)

That's really cool! I feel like people don't get how fun MUN is until they actually try it, I honestly wish I had joined sooner. But I'd really like to know, was the Middle Tennessee Conference very formal (were there joke resolutions or were the chairs strict about laughing)? Is it a common thing in America (never met an American MUNer but I assume it would be, considering the headquarters is based there.)
MUN is very common in the US. The style of the conferences really depend on region. I know that there are conferences that love to make lots of jokes, some where declaring war leads to a strategic conference of allies and enemies, and some that takes itself very seriously. The one I was in takes itself somewhat seriously, since it’s 2 nights at embassy suites and costs quite a bit to attend.

There are definitely joke resolutions, but they quickly get filtered out in the first rounds. But when a joke resolution makes it to the Caucasus and General Assembly’s, you better be prepared to the greatest series of debates, arguments, and rhetoric that high schoolers in ranked high schools can deploy. People have spent their meals during the conference researching and coming up with ways to strike down resolutions. Some teams form alliances for rivalries.

My personal favorite resolution was when North Korea made a resolution looking for humanitarian aid, and as an aside during the prelims, joked about nuking everyone. What pursues was the greatest series of debates and diplomatic allying ever, as the security council spent the entire conference debating on how to deal with it, the ICJ was trying to push a newly made resolution on war crimes against humanity, the general assembly spent 3 sessions trying to push the resolution through, all the while France was threatening Bageuttes and Britain was threatening Scones against the Korean Peninsula.

On the other hand, there was these two speakers that would always debate each other on every resolution, and it was beautiful. The fight between South Korea and Egypt 2. They both used the same mic because of their seating arrangement in the general assembly, so we came to call that mic “the Right-side Flaming Mic of Blue General Assembly.” Even when the chair tried to make it so that they can’t speak anymore, ppl started to yield their time to the two speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back