Video Games Any games that you think are Overrated?

Reppingnothing201

Representing the people who aren't represented!
I'd have to start this off with saying that I feel that both of the destiny games are overrated. They seem like fun games until you realize that destiny 1 is basically the same thing with all its levels, plus the story is nonexistent unless you want to GO ONLINE and READ about the story. Destiny 2 fixes the nonexistent story and replaces it with a bland story that a ton of people are saying is "Mind Blowing" plus they add MICROTRANSACTIONS! I'll say that if you're opting to put micro transactions in your game. Make it just for skins and cosmetics that look cool. DONT MAKE IT SO THAT "if you pay for this it'll give you a cool down boost to all skills" or making it so that it unlocks weapons that are better then the ones you have. That is also the reason why so many people hate battlefront 2. If you want a better rpg shooter. Try any of the Borderlands games. They're not linear, they have good stories. And they don't have micro transactions.

I think the old Pokemon games, specifically Gen 1, are overrated. Most of the love for these games coasts on the nostalgia fans have for it. For many fans, it was their first Pokemon game or even their first video game in childhood. However, most people eventually grow out of other forms of media meant for kids, like TV shows and books.

Pokemon Red and Blue are bad games. They had a minimal story, hardly any characterization, and the games were just an excuse for Nintendo to sell merchandise and become more popular in America, since Zelda was too niche. Following the success of the Mario series as an example, with the 151 Pokemon, Nintendo earned thousands by selling unique cards, toys, accessories, card/board games, and clothing. The TV series served as a catalyst for the sales of these products - it was catchy, colorful, and spooned to young children for 20 minutes when they came home from school, finished dinner, or had completed their homework. In the eyes of Nintendo, Pokemon simply served to turn a profit - a job it performed very well. In fact, Nintendo simply exploited older fans' nostalgia be remaking Red & Blue into Firered and Leafgreen, and the tradition would continue through Gold & Silver (Heartgold and Souksilver) and Ruby & Sapphire (ARuby and ΩSapphire).

Can you really blame Nintendo for driving the series into the ground? No, because they are a business that aims to appeal to their largest demographic: teenagers and young adults who grew up playing the older games (Gen 1, 2, & 3). But with any other form of media, not all old games are good, or were ever even made to be good. However, I believe that we should stop placing these games on a pedestal and saying they are better than newer games on the market simply because of nostalgia.

I think the old Pokemon games, specifically Gen 1, are overrated. Most of the love for these games coasts on the nostalgia fans have for it. For many fans, it was their first Pokemon game or even their first video game in childhood. However, most people eventually grow out of other forms of media meant for kids, like TV shows and books.

Pokemon Red and Blue are bad games. They had a minimal story, hardly any characterization, and the games were just an excuse for Nintendo to sell merchandise and become more popular in America, since Zelda was too niche. Following the success of the Mario series as an example, with the 151 Pokemon, Nintendo earned thousands by selling unique cards, toys, accessories, card/board games, and clothing. The TV series served as a catalyst for the sales of these products - it was catchy, colorful, and spooned to young children for 20 minutes when they came home from school, finished dinner, or had completed their homework. In the eyes of Nintendo, Pokemon simply served to turn a profit - a job it performed very well. In fact, Nintendo simply exploited older fans' nostalgia be remaking Red & Blue into Firered and Leafgreen, and the tradition would continue through Gold & Silver (Heartgold and Souksilver) and Ruby & Sapphire (ARuby and ΩSapphire).

Can you really blame Nintendo for driving the series into the ground? No, because they are a business that aims to appeal to their largest demographic: teenagers and young adults who grew up playing the older games (Gen 1, 2, & 3). But with any other form of media, not all old games are good, or were ever even made to be good. However, I believe that we should stop placing these games on a pedestal and saying they are better than newer games on the market simply because of nostalgia.
I hated gen 1 but playing the remakes are kind of fun. Gen 1 was broken though and looking back on it. Aged horribly

I hated gen 1 but playing the remakes are kind of fun. Gen 1 was broken though and looking back on it. Aged horribly

I honestly do not put Gen 1 on a high note for another reason. Gen 1’s fanbase used to be elitists and would shit on the new generations because they were “running out of ideas”. I am not saying every person who thinks the first generation was their favourite generation does not like the newer games. I am just saying that the Pokémon community can be elitist to a certain generation at times. But it’s mostly gone (except for Gen 4 elitism, that’s not likely to dissipate for a long time especially because of the popularity of the main game and the generation’s spin-off games).

Overwatch is terribly limited given it's popularity. It's older now, but how they got so many players to part with the price of a full AAA game is mind blowing.

Overrated doesn't have to mean bad. I actually still like this game a lot but Ocarina of time for a while was very overrated. Its slow, the story is not as detailed and complex as people like to say it is and certain gameplay elements just did not age well, the overworld is pretty limited and boring once you traveled through it a few times. This would have been fine with me if the fans and nintendo didn't treat the game like pure gold and make the rest of the series copy this formula. Its only recently the games started to go away from this approach. I don't no if this game is still overrated since people are starting to look at it more critically now a days. Games need to be looked at critically for future games to learn and change for the better.

Unpopular opinion incoming......

Personally, I feel the first Dark Souls was and is way overrated on it's biggest selling point, it's difficulty. (I don't know about the later ones as I only beat the first)

As a quick aside, I LOVE the lore of the Souls games and have several friends when enjoy them who will rant on the lore for hours and it is very enjoyable.

However, getting back to it's elements as a 'difficult game' I also want to say that yes, it is difficult. My problem lies in why it's difficult and in my opinion that's not because it's a well designed game. Many people argue the game is 'hard' versus 'punishing' but to me a huge part of the game's difficulty is artificial. One large part of how/where I deviate from others are on some of the moments the game purposely sets up to have you die to something that, until that point, you had no reason to suspect existing. IE: Learning a specific thing is in a specific area that can insta-kill, or lead to you being insta-killed very easily, is not "difficulty" it's memorizing. Which, if you want to argue semantics you can argue that having to remember X thing is there being 'difficult', sure, but as far as a measure of difficulty in that it can be avoided/overcome with sufficient skill or prior practice, it is not.

In short, I think Dark Souls is given too much credit for being a 'hard game' and I associate Dark Souls with QWOP in that the principles are easy, but it's so clunky the game is stupidly hard.

World of Warcraft and call of duty would probably be the main 2 for me. World of Warcraft is too story streamlined now which is silly considering how vast the lore and the world is. And for call of duty it used to be a interesting and some what educational war game . Now it's full of futuristic tech and wall running ?? day glow animal print guns and clothes, bows and arrows and of course dancing x.x

From the outside looking in, Call of Duty is overrated. The gameplay isn't unique anymore, they have lootboxes, and the campaign often has storytelling issues, from what I've seen, completely outside of the freaking ridiculous stuff (the flying train in the newest game).
But the biggest confusion for me is the graphics
See, even a substandard game can fool people into purchasing it if it has good graphics.
But Call of Duty's graphics, from what I've seen, aren't very good at all. Ghosts had graphics that were on par with Halo 3, Infinite Warfare with Reach, and, from what I've seen, CoD WWII is about on the same level as Halo 4. I don't believe it'd be an exaggeration to say it's the fault of the development cycle, but no matter the reason and explanation of why it happened, I think the end result overrated.
Also BFII by EA for the obvious reasons, the disappointing campaign from what I've seen, and the relatively faulty multiplayer modes.
From the inside, anyone who thinks Roblox has merits had better stop a moment. There are very very few good games on the entire platform (after 2-3 years of actively playing on the site, I came across maybe 20-25 total that were genuinely good and weren't Phantom Forces). Honestly, Roblox could be used as a case study for all the things they do wrong. The company itself is mismanaged, the platform is shooting itself in the foot, the player base is made up of two groups; sane people and children, and as Roblox has been doing stupid things, more and more people from the sane player base have been leaving. Not only that, but the terms of service now state you cannot sue them for any reason; in actuality, they've done some shady things to appease their community, such as promising features that would make controversial updates good and not delivering on them. From what I've seen, I genuinely would not be surprised if they removed things people paid real money for and then made lawsuits invalid because they signed the new Terms of Service. I'm not going to sign them in case things go downhill so that I can sue them, but the whole thing is a powder keg of a mess.

I'd have to agree with Skyrim being one of the most overrated. I've played it extensively and I won't deny it being a fun world to play in, but it's not even close to the definition of an RPG and the least immersive TES title I've experienced to date. The main plot is relatively interesting in its premise, but I don't feel it really has any truly interesting twists or turns beyond the first few steps into the world. The side plots are shallow and disinteresting. The game is also absurdly easy, even in comparison to other titles of the same archetype.

It's pretty, it's fun to play around with, and it has a lot of potential, but it really falls short of what it could have been with a fully-fleshed storyline, expansive side quests (even just to the extent of those in Oblivion), and a difficulty scale that means I'm not falling asleep as I play.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. It's a very overrated game when you look at it purely based on the actual gameplay mechanics. Apart from early-on in matches, most tactics are defined by the RNG of circle placements, which are often game-defining for 85% of the playerbase. It's a game that's fun for a round or two with friends, but doesn't live up to all the hype surrounding it. It's mostly streamer-bait so they can rake up donations for their patreons. On the whole, the game could use some serious improvements to be more skill oriented, such as less circle RNG after the first two, where it just slowly contracts to force players closer together without being too disruptive. At the end of the day, I want to win because I shot the other guys. Not because they dropped dead outside of the magic circle because they were at the fast moving end of it. Along with a mountain of bugfixing and gunplay improvements.

Overwatch, then again I'm not a fan of multiplayer only video games. For honor is an exception though since I love medieval hack and slash styled games.

WoW, most definitely. I dunno, it might be good, but I thought it was one of the most boring MMORPG games I've played. Heck, SMT Online and Shaya were better than that. Not to mention the graphics seem pretty cut and dry and little on the originality scale. No good rewards for work, and nothing really to keep you immersed in the world; it's just grinding the same quests (though that's just why I think MMORPG games, like Elder Scrolls Online for example, are just boring.)

Someone already said this, but I'll say it again— I didn't like Skyrim. Sure it was fun for the first few hours, but whenever I pick it up again it just feels... stale. Like every playthrough is the same. I don't get that feeling from its predecessors.

Hopefully the next Elder Scrolls game Bethesda hands us has more replay value: for me, at least.

Overwatch, Cod, PUBG, League of Legends,... Basically any streamerbait game gets massively overhyped, whilst in reality they're nothing to write home about. Take overwatch, for example. You try to make a pretty bland game more interesting by adding "heroes", only to sell skins for said heroes. The gameplay aspect is pretty much standard shooter mechanics. SAme goes for PUBG. Two maps, with the new map being pretty damn boring. Gameplay revolves more around RNG than anything else and devs make some pretty crap choices, like adding in lag compensation and paid lootboxes. League is... League. The toxic cesspool that's sort of like bad reality TV. Nobody likes it, but everyone watches.

I'm starting to wonder when games will once again revolve around having fun.

PUBG for sure. It gets old quick. I would say Overwatch but the characters are somewhat interesting at times (except Hanzo and Genji)

Lets see

WoW is overrated. Overwatch is a little bit overrared too. Dark Souls series, mass effect series, dragon age series, elder scroll series are all overrated imho. LoL and most MOBA are overrated too. Blade and Soul, Black Desert and many other asian based half-assed translated MMO's are overrated too if the were translated better i might have a better opinion but what is the point playing an RPG when you don't even udnerstand more than 70% of the story because they couldn't translate it properly and just did a loose job so game can be released for all those wallet warriors and grinders.

Final Fantasy 7. I've played every FF before it, most FFs after it, games from every era of videogaming, put a solid 30+ hours into the game trying to find the appeal. And I hate it. The presentation, the bland characters, the story that I only found semi-interesting when it was about Sephiroth or Nanaki. Navigating screens is absolute rubbish because there's trivial objects in the low-res backgrounds you can hardly make out that are somehow impassable or supposedly on a different plane than the one you're on, not helped by whatever camera angles Square decided to use that day always being the least helpful for movement. Then there's the world map, which requires circumnavigating the entire earth every time you need to go anywhere because your vehicles are never as useful as you would think. Then pile in all the pointless quick-time events and minigames the game forces you to do for no reason which never have a good interface and come out of nowhere.

The best part about the game is the combat, which is basically exactly Final Fantasy 6's combat system. The music's great, but I wouldn't give a crappy game credit for Nobuo uematsu's work.

Looking forward to the remake, all it has to do is be a functional game that makes more sense to play to be better than the original.

/rant over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back