Fall Contest 2020 Announcing The RpN Fall Contest

FaithWynters

The Cuppycakecreep
Supporter
Witchshark.png
A huge thank you to AEONmeteorite AEONmeteorite for the awesome Witchy Staff-chan art. <3

Hello, Lovelies!

I hope this announcement finds all of you well. I know things have been pretty difficult lately in the world for numerous reasons, Covid-19 being the most obvious. Like most of you, the staff has been stuck at home and we've been working on a multitude of updates to the site that will start coming to fruition soon. Those include major site updates, BBCode, styles, features, tools, and more. One of these items was merchandise which has been very well received by the community <3.

One goal of the staff is to have quarterly contests. Each quarter of every year will be different! There are many holidays and themes to be had! When exactly do we plan on starting this tradition? Right now!

I'm pleased to announce The RpNation Fall Contest! Our goal with every contest is to make each one different from either type (prose, art poems, etc.) to format and everything in between! To kick off this tradition, the Fall Contest will offer both writing and art submission options!

The RpN Fall ContestAs mentioned above, this year's contest will have both options for art and writing submissions. The way to participate is simple. The submission rules for both art and writing are the same: select a category and choose a minimum of three elements from the list below that will be included in your piece. Each category will have one winner from both art and writing. Additionally, there will be two user's choice winners for a total of 18 winners overall. Each winner will receive a badge specific to their category. Those will be showcased at a later date. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post below :). You can only win once, but you are allowed to submit in multiple categories and in both art and writing. We ask that you keep writing submissions to prose (we've already got plans for a poetry-only contest! ~Pinkie swear~) and under 7500 words. A User's Choice Poll will open at the end of the contest and we will explain any rules and the time frame for voting then.

We encourage you to utilize our newest tool Etherpad when crafting your entries for the contest and let us know what ya think! You can find the announcement for Etherpads here.
Again, if you have any questions, feel free to post them below.

Happy Writing!
~ <3 Faith

Official RpN Fall Contest Rules
  • Contest Duration
    • Begins: October 1st
    • Ends: October 31st (11:59 pm EST)
  • Entry Requirements
    • Must fall within one of the categories
    • Must have no less than three elements utilized within the work
      • To select multiple when creating your thread, hold Ctrl + Click your 3+ selections
    • Must be no more than 7500 words
    • If writing it must be prose (no poetry)
    • Entries must be submitted and appropriately labeled within the Fall Contest Forum.
Category (Pick one)
  • Slice of Life
  • Fandom
  • Fantasy
  • Horror
  • Comedy
  • Romance
  • Sci-fi
  • General
Elements (Pick a minimum of three)
A knock on the door
A laughing river
A shift in power
A sudden fall
Acceptance
Addiction
Adventure
Alone in a storm
Ambition
Amusement
Anxiety
Autumn leaves
Betrayal
Broken Promises
Burning bridges
Celebration
Change
Chaos vs order
Color
Coming of age
Cooking
Courage
Death
Defiance
Desire to escape
Desperation
Destruction
Effects from the past
Equality
Family
Fear of failure
Festival
Firsts
Foreboding
Fortune
Frenemies
Friendship
Greed as a downfall
Green fingers
Grief
Happy ending
Hope
Immortality
Justice
Loneliness
Longing
Loss
Loss of innocence
Lost love
Madness
Man vs nature
Man vs Self
Marshmallows
Martial arts
Meaning of Home
Mercy
Modernized fairy tales
Morality vs Ethics
Mountain Mist
Music
Mystery
New Relationships
Nostalgia
Pain
Past and future
Perseverance
Pets
Power
Redemption
Reincarnation
Resolution to an old problem
Revenge
Rivalry
Rural life
Scarcity
Seafarer's journal
Secrets
Selfishness
Simple pleasures
Smiling at a funeral
Space
Start and end the same
Supernatural
Technology
Temptation
Tense
The beauty of simplicity
The dangers of ignorance
The journey not the destination
The monster under the bed
Tragic ending
Transformation
Treasure
Truth
Unlocking something
Unrequited love
Video Games
Weird text messages
Whispers
Witching circle

Last edited:
Man, I chose an awesome time to come back and check out what's happening on this site.
This looks like a fun contest!

Do we have to list what topics we chose before the entry for writing?
When you create the thread in the contest forum, you need to use the Prefix of the genre you pick and the topics should be listed as tags.

Thank you. Um, could you explain how you do that please? I am, uh, new here...

It's easy!

1. Go to the submission forum: Fall Contest 2020 Submissions

2. Click on Post Thread button
post thread.png

3. Select the Genre you want to submit your entry to (this is a Prefix)
prefix.png

4. When you're ready to post the thread don't forget to select the elements.
You need to select 3. To do that on PC, use the Ctrl button + click on the one you need from the list. On mobile it's a long tap I believe.
elements.png

And when you're done, hit Post thread!

It's easy!

1. Go to the submission forum: Fall Contest 2020 Submissions

2. Click on Post Thread button
View attachment 788225

3. Select the Genre you want to submit your entry to (this is a Prefix)
View attachment 788226

4. When you're ready to post the thread don't forget to select the elements.
You need to select 3. To do that on PC, use the Ctrl button + click on the one you need from the list. On mobile it's a long tap I believe.
View attachment 788227

And when you're done, hit Post thread!
Thank you! Sorry I don't have PMs yet.

Hmmm, this sounds fun to do. 🤔
Might have to use the generator because, I'm indecisive as heck

Nice job for the person who planned this 💜

shuffles deck of character backstories I can finally flesh out in greater detail

I really wish for more time in a day to do thus, but in case I actually manage, might I ask if there's a word minimum for it? I wanted to try something vignette-style rather than a fully fleshed-out story.

I really wish for more time in a day to do thus, but in case I actually manage, might I ask if there's a word minimum for it? I wanted to try something vignette-style rather than a fully fleshed-out story.
No word minimums! With such a wide range of writing styles on the site, we didn't want to exclude anyone from being able to participate!

just figured you guys would want to know that romance tag says 'romanace' lol..

okay okay okay, so this is tempting but i do have one question:
are we allowed to do fancy things with aesthetics? i've discovered that it sort of helps me get my creative juices flowing if i do a little title page thingy with some kind of gif & lyrics or whatever to go along with some of my stories and plot. is that allowed?

okay okay okay, so this is tempting but i do have one question:
are we allowed to do fancy things with aesthetics? i've discovered that it sort of helps me get my creative juices flowing if i do a little title page thingy with some kind of gif & lyrics or whatever to go along with some of my stories and plot. is that allowed?
It's not disallowed, but it won't be judged on the aesthetics of the post. Also, it really must be readable, so things like small fonts (which are popular) would be something I'd just suggest to avoid, but that's just a suggestion.

It's not disallowed, but it won't be judged on the aesthetics of the post. Also, it really must be readable, so things like small fonts (which are popular) would be something I'd just suggest to avoid, but that's just a suggestion.

that's perfectly fine :') I wasn't planning on using a small font for it anyway, and the title page aesthetic is just for me, of course. thank you!!!

Candycorn.png
Another huge thank you to AEONmeteorite AEONmeteorite for Sweet Tooth Staff-chan <3
Like the spoopy art? It's available on Creation Nation!

Hello again, Lovelies!

I hope your October has been spooktacular so far. 🎃 As Halloween grows closer, we wanted to showcase the badges that our wonderful artists peritwinkle peritwinkle and Daisie Daisie have made for each of the categories within the contest! As a reminder, we'll be giving out one badge in each category to both a winning writer and an artist. (We are accepting art in this contest and would love to see more of it submitted!)

There have already been so many awesome entries, but there's still time if you haven't entered yet or you've got more ideas up your sleeves to submit! The contest ends on October 31st at 11:59PM EST so just don't be late!

As always, if y'all have any questions or comments, feel free to post them below. I'm interested to hear how folks have been liking Etherpads so far. 🦈

Happy Writing!
~ Faith <3

drm.png

Comedy

rtro.png

Fandom

Untitled-4.png

Fantasy

StaffChanBadgePNG.png

General

dagger.png

Horror

4.png

Romance

alien.png

Sci-Fi

pizza.png

Slice of Life
thth.png

User's Choice
(We'll send out information after the above winners are announced on how you can participate in choosing your favorite entry from the contest!)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back