Anime & Manga Anime You Feel Strongly About?

AnimeGenork

The Duck Overlord
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I know sometimes when I watch Fairy Tail I get this surge of emotion I can't quite explain. Something about Natsu's inspiring speeches and Lucy's loyalty to the guild always manage to make me feel things I don't think I'll ever feel from something in real life.

There are also the animes that I will defend to the end of my days, like Digimon. Rat on me all you want for liking it, but it will forever be my favorite anime and my universe. I also tend to get defensive about Fairy Tail, or at least about its themes. The animes I really love mean something to me, so ratting on them sometimes feels like a personal insult. (It probably shouldn't, but I get a little too attached....)

How about you all? Is there a specific anime that causes these type of feelings and reactions?

Oh most definitely. There are entire genres that make want to defend them, though that is less because of them and more because of the shitty way they are treated, though in a sense that might fit this category. However, three specific ones really come to mind regarding this topic: "Re:creators", "Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku" and "Date a Live".

"Re:creators" has become my favorite anime, as in, ever. Premise-wise, it's basically an anime about characters being brought form their world into our own, but the show is so much more than that. If I had to put it in a short manner, I'd say, it's a story about stories, their writers, and storytelling itself. This anime is overflowing with creativity, it's extremely intelligent in all of it's writing and plays with a meta in sometimes mindblowing ways. It has deep writing, themes and characters, each developed extensively and at a fitting pace. The worldbuilding and mechanics are magnificent, yet it does have one flaw, and that it's exposition seems to kill the pacing. And that one little thing appearantly killed it for 70% of the people. It's not even that bad, even if this was in fact supposed to be an action show, but it wasn't, the whole thing was about exploring it's characters, premise and message, yet because people came in expecting it to be all fight scenes or something, it doesn't get th credit it deserves for the masterful writing. Oh and let's not forget the sheer production value of it either.

"Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku" AKA "Magical Girl Raising Project" is often called a "Madoka clone" or a "gore fest for no reason", and I simply find those comments to be of unwarranted harshness and pretentiousness. Because literallly everything that is dakr and also in the magical girl genre is called a madoka clone nowadays which is a really superficial line of thinking. However, moreso than just covering great writing standards, like an assortment of different and well-developed characters, consistent story-writing, creative magic and so on, the show also knew how to play your expectations, it took them and used it to build tension. That's classic horror material right there. Failed or succeeding, the idea is there, the effort and mechanic is there and more than that just can't be asked.

"Date a Live" is a show whom I love, not quite as a guilty pleasure, but not quite for the same kind of intellectual reasons as the other two. If there is a reason for why I get so fired up about it, it's because it's on my top ten anime out of just how much I love watching it and can watch it several times in a row without getting bored... the great comedy and cute characters, the lovely animation, nice music, decent story.... all of it mashes up in a way even I find a bit surprising, but I adore. And yet, it keeps getting shit from people just because it has the formula of a harem anime. People think that somehow justifies saying all of that writing and quality is crap, which is about as stupid as an argument about the quality of something can get.

There are more whom I also defend, like "Digimon" (like the original poster), "Action Heroine Cherry Fruits", one of the few anime to actually cause me to cry, "dog and scissors" with it's bold premise, "highschool DxD" with it's shockingly proper plot (and no I don't mean "plot", though it has plenty of that too), "mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha" (franchise) for the amazing world-building, "Kotoura-san" and the art of the firts episode, "Rakudai kishi no Cavalry" , "Tokyo Ghoul", "My teen romantic comedy is wrong as a expected" and a vast portion of the harem anime genre, to name a few, but those three are the main ones.

"Re:creators" has become my favorite anime, as in, ever. Premise-wise, it's basically an anime about characters being brought form their world into our own, but the show is so much more than that. If I had to put it in a short manner, I'd say, it's a story about stories, their writers, and storytelling itself. This anime is overflowing with creativity, it's extremely intelligent in all of it's writing and plays with a meta in sometimes mindblowing ways. It has deep writing, themes and characters, each developed extensively and at a fitting pace. The worldbuilding and mechanics are magnificent, yet it does have one flaw, and that it's exposition seems to kill the pacing. And that one little thing appearantly killed it for 70% of the people. It's not even that bad, even if this was in fact supposed to be an action show, but it wasn't, the whole thing was about exploring it's characters, premise and message, yet because people came in expecting it to be all fight scenes or something, it doesn't get th credit it deserves for the masterful writing. Oh and let's not forget the sheer production value of it either.

You know, I've been hearing mixed things about this anime and was thinking about watching it, and with you recommending it, I'm definitely considering it. Its whole premise on its story being about the nature of stories themselves in such a meta way immediately reminds me of Umineko When They Cry (the visual novels, not the anime), which is something I'd highly recommend even though I have yet to even finish its classic predecessor series, Higurashi When They Cry (which actually has a good anime series in this case), which I'd also recommend.
Idea Idea

You know, I've been hearing mixed things about this anime and was thinking about watching it, and with you recommending it, I'm definitely considering it. Its whole premise on its story being about the nature of stories themselves in such a meta way immediately reminds me of Umineko When They Cry (the visual novels, not the anime), which is something I'd highly recommend even though I have yet to even finish its classic predecessor series, Higurashi When They Cry (which actually has a good anime series in this case), which I'd also recommend.
Idea Idea
Convincing a person to watch re:creators...

Thank you friend!
I love you hug SAO.GIF

As you could tell by my new profile picture, Made In Abyss is probably the best anime of this year which is crazy considering we've had a streak of incredible shows come out season after season but this one takes the cake imo. Firstly it has incredible art in addition to add to its also incredibly fluid animation and gut wrenchingly realistic animarion. The attention to detail brings this entire world to life in a way that really hasn't been done before. Each panoramic shot has meaning and they don't just exist in a vacuum like other shows do in order to create their settings but they are purposefully set to bring the world of the abyss to life, from the Town of Orth hanging at the precipice of the great pit to Idofront, the lone base standing at one of the deepest sections of the abyss. The art sets an eery yet awe inspiring tone for the series and adds more to the source material while simultaneously staying true to it. It draws you into the unknown lore pf the abyss, and it makes the audience feel in the shoes of the characters we are watching as we too want to learn more about it and go on the journey of discovery with them.

Then comes the story and characters who ended up being wonderfully developed. Where we see a young adventurer and protagonist in Riko first innocent and optimisitic fight against all odds in a dangerous world thats pretty much out to kill her. Yet despite all that she trudges on towards her dream of surpassing her mother who was supposedly a legendary "Delver" in their world. Riko keeps this innocence and free spirit but over time you see it mature and grow as she does throughout the series. Not to mention the supporting cast who are a combination of both static and infinitely complex characters who add so much to Riko's Odyssey to the bottom of the unknown abyss.

I'd want to go on more but I'd be spoiling it. This anime is definitely worth the watch all the way from beginning to end.

Phew, I have a lot. The one I feel the strongest about is Berserk. If you don't know about it, the basic premise is that it's about a tortured swordsman named Guts on a quest for revenge agains his former best friend Griffith. At first, it's like Game of Thrones, with it showing that the heroes of old were actually selfish monsters who took what they want. After some...stuff happens, it transitions into more of a Lovecraftian revenge story, with Guts facing demons of incomprehensible power, with some of the most horrific minster designs I've ever seen. Berserk is very dark, often times nihilistic in it's view of a world controlled by a calloused, uncaring god simply fulfilling it's purpose. But at the same time, there's hope. Guts is basically the human spirit given human form. Everything bad that could happen to someone has happened to him. He's been raped, beaten, abandoned, manipulated and betrayed, yet he moves onward. No matter how many people he sees die, and how bleak it may seem, he keeps going. That's why I love Berserk.

Honestly, when I watch either "Uta no Prince Sama" or "Blue Exorcist" I just feel really liberated.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is everything I want in a series and more.
Stein's;Gate isn't bad either.
Obligatory Fate/Zero mention because I want to show that I can also be tough, dark and brooding.

Of course there are anime that I just LOVE. Like every anime though, every show has its downsides. Naruto will always be very close to my heart, and I really loved most of the beginning. But Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Wolf's Rain are a few more that I have strong feelings toward.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is everything I want in a series and more.
Stein's;Gate isn't bad either.
Obligatory Fate/Zero mention because I want to show that I can also be tough, dark and brooding.

Have you watched Fate Stay Night: Unlimitrd Blade Works yet? Because thats pretty much the direct sequel and its still incredible in terms of quality and keeping the same tone from Zero. Also Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel movie trilogy is coming out with the first film beginning its premiere run in the US and its been out in Japan since Summer.

Higurashi probably fits the bill. I will never claim it is the best anime ever, or that the animation is impeccable, anything like that. That said it is still one of my favorite anime hands down and one I've watched several times through without losing interest in it. I especially enjoy watching it with new people who don't know what it is and enjoying the mix of emotions they get watching it. Nothing funnier than a buddy going "WTF!" while one of Higurashi's more choice scenes are on the screen.

And no, I do not acknowledge anything beyond season two. It didn't happen. Season two wrapped everything up and nothing else was made. (except maybe that Quarantine movie, that was alright.)

Hunter x Hunter (2011) makes me feel really pumped and positive. I have rewatched the Hunter Exam arc multiple times for various reasons, and enjoyed it every single time, even though I know what happens next. The art is perfect for that. Even things that bored me my first time through have gotten better, and things that didn't have stayed great. I freaking love it.

Fruits Basket

My first anime.

It shows a kindhearted girl who seeks to make other people happy. Despite all the hardships she faced herself- she longs to see other people happier. A lot of the characters have happy dispositions but have faced several dark and dangerous trials in life and a whole bunch of them manage to get through it. I adore Momiji who was cursed so his Mother's memory of him had to be erased but he still found the reason to smile and be happy for her new life. Yuki seems like a perfectly happy and popular guys but finds himself at a distance from other people- finding a person who he feels comfortable with and wants to protect truly makes me feel happy. Kyo too with his tough exterior is not exempted from the hardship because of the curse he has. Each one of them living each day and making the most of it

When I first watched Angel Beats, I thought it was going to be like any other anime. But it wasn't. I found it very enjoyable until the end in which it made me cry. I would have never expected an ending so sad from an anime like it. Another anime that hit me pretty hard was Akame Ga Kill. Probably because my favorite character died later in the series in an amazing way.

Lull in the Sea and Your Name are masterpieces, Land of the Lustrous is too beautiful along with Ancient Magus Bride. My Hero Academia is so explosive along with Re:Creators. All of them I highly recommend!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back