Anime & Manga Anime recommendations please

Sunstone

This sentence is false.
so, I've been looking for a truly immersive anime for some time (ever since my little pony friendship is magic filled up the spot in my life that anime had once) and I've decided to ask the local weebs and causal anime fans here.
Some of my favorite anime:
  • 1 Death note
  • 2 attack on Titan, supER immersive and intriguing world with an occasional sense of humor and well developed characters along with a sense of mystery and fear.
  • 3 the first half of first season as SAO (it set up this awesome world with super high stakes and then poured acid on my face with filler, a bullshit romance, and then... A near rape encounter with our main female character.)
That should be about enough information for you guys to give me some advice. Give me and answer as soon as possible please!​

Last edited:
Toradora!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Danganronpa: The Animation are some of my favourites.

Mirai Nikki is pretty similar to Death Note in its premise (a teenage protagonist given an unusual supernatural tool in an otherwise ordinary world and the moral dilemmas, mind games, and fights for survival that ensue). I haven't watched Death Note though, so I couldn't tell you how the two shows compare in terms of quality. What I can tell you is that Mirai Nikki is a great show that I enjoyed throughout. It never got boring to me, though it is at its best only when the main female character is on-screen (though she gets a lot of screen time, so that's fine).

The story is about twelve people who are given Future Diaries by a god-like figure named Deus, which allow them to predict the future, but only to a certain extent (for example, one diary predicts only what will happen in the holder's surroundings or future surroundings, one predicts possible ways for the holder to escape a situation, and so on. Each diary is different). Deus is slowly dying, and so has to pick a new person to fill the mantle of God. The Future Diary owners are told to kill each other, and the last one alive becomes God.

In your post, you mention not liking how SAO turned out and note a "near rape encounter" as one of the issues. You're not too specific about that, so I'm not sure what the exact problem with that was. Did it just seem out-of-place and not like it belonged in the show? Was it poorly handled? There's rape in Mirai Nikki (if I can remember correctly, rape comes up on two separate occasions), but it serves a purpose in the story and isn't there just for the sake of being there or for "upping the stakes," and it doesn't really feel out-of-place since the show is overall pretty dark.

If you're just generally averse to rape in media though (as in it makes you really unbearably uncomfortable no matter what), then it might be best to skip out on this show.

Mirai Nikki is pretty similar to Death Note in its premise (a teenage protagonist given an unusual supernatural tool in an otherwise ordinary world and the moral dilemmas, mind games, and fights for survival that ensue). I haven't watched Death Note though, so I couldn't tell you how the two shows compare in terms of quality. What I can tell you is that Mirai Nikki is a great show that I enjoyed throughout. It never got boring to me, though it is at its best only when the main female character is on-screen (though she gets a lot of screen time, so that's fine).

The story is about twelve people who are given Future Diaries by a god-like figure named Deus, which allow them to predict the future, but only to a certain extent (for example, one diary predicts only what will happen in the holder's surroundings or future surroundings, one predicts possible ways for the holder to escape a situation, and so on. Each diary is different). Deus is slowly dying, and so has to pick a new person to fill the mantle of God. The Future Diary owners are told to kill each other, and the last one alive becomes God.

In your post, you mention not liking how SAO turned out and note a "near rape encounter" as one of the issues. You're not too specific about that, so I'm not sure what the exact problem with that was. Did it just seem out-of-place and not like it belonged in the show? Was it poorly handled? There's rape in Mirai Nikki (if I can remember correctly, rape comes up on two separate occasions), but it serves a purpose in the story and isn't there just for the sake of being there or for "upping the stakes," and it doesn't really feel out-of-place since the show is overall pretty dark.

If you're just generally averse to rape in media though (as in it makes you really unbearably uncomfortable no matter what), then it might be best to skip out on this show.
I was just saying it seemed like an unless bastardization of the chaarcter and it felt like something that belongs in a sick twisted hentai, not a show about the matrix 2.0.

I would recommend "A certain magical index" whenever you have time to watch anime.

I'd recommend Your Lie In April because it's super immersive and you get so attached to the characters right off the bat.

Danganronpa is one of my favorites

Assassination classroom is my number one favorite though <3 I recommend it to everyone! It is about a group of students who have been outcasted at their school as the worst class and used as a threat to ensure the other students don't fall behind in their studies. Well the class gets a new teacher who they have to kill by graduation otherwise, the world will explode.

Black Cat is a good one as well though it isn't known to much, at least not in my groups.

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon? is also a pretty good one. It is kinda like SAO in the whole dungeon and monster kind of way

the 2011 run of Hunter X Hunter is good for entertainment. It's a decent mix of humor, fighting, 'magic' and adventure. The characters are forced to grow due to circumstances, so you see personalities shift, change, and mature, sometimes for better and other times for worse.

One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist
Dragon Ball... All of them, even the world-hated GT (I liked GT though)

I've watched all of those, and since they're so blown up in terms of how pop culture goes for anime they lost their immersion for me.

I'm not sure what kind of anime you are really into, but given the shows you listed above here's my roster (there's no specific order except for Darker Than Black, if you haven't seen it, you should watch it first. As well as Cowboy Bebop, the show not the movie, but I'm assuming this is probably one you've already crossed off your list):

1. Darker Than Black

2. Series Experiment Lain

3. Ergo Proxy

4. Elfen Lied

5. Big O - (It is pretty dated. It was a bigger hit with western audiences, you'll understand why immediately after you watch it.)

6. Haibane Renmei

7. Claymore

8. Guilty Crown

9. Monster

10. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

11. Witch Hunter Robin

12. Paprika (it's a movie, but if you want to go on a mindtrip, I recommend it)

13. Noir

14. Noragami

I second Hunter x Hunter. Some people have a hard time getting past the first few episodes, but when it gets deep, it gets real deep.

I really loved Blood+, it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I've always meant to rewatch.

I also really love Fullmetal Alchemist. In my opinion, it's hyped for a reason. Being immersed in it (and not it's fandom/the hype train scooting on behind it) is really easy once you get going. You've said you've seen it before, though, so, meh.

Samurai Champloo, Kiseijuu/Parasyte was amazing and, OH MY GOD. Boku dake ga Inai Machi (ERASED) !

I loved that anime so, so much.

I just wrapped up Chihayafuru. Aside from having a lot of content(50 ep of the anime,180 chapter manga,two live action feature films) Its one of the best character dramas I've seen in the medium. Every character even the side ones are three dimensional. The kartua matches are tense experiences. It's a rare sports show that gets everything right.

If you're looking for well-realized settings, Tiger and Bunny might be worth a look. It's a superhero anime where all the heroes are sponsored by different companies much like how athletes are in our world. I don't know if that'd detract from the immersion or not but it felt pretty realistic when I watched it because I was basically like 'well if superheroes were real it could very well go like that'.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is worth a try too. It's a lengthy sci-fi series about an interstellar war with a very expansive scope. Tons and tons of characters, all sorts of political machinations going on, that kind of thing. There are even entire episodes of the show dedicated to explaining the history of the setting as an in-universe documentary that one of the characters watches.

I'm a Halo fanboy, so obv. Halo Legends has to come in.
I'm feeling nice, so I'll link it.

Mirai Nikki or Hunter x Hunter (2011 or 1999)
You should watch the first few minutes of the first episode of SAO II so you can imagine it's a cooler, gritty version of SAO where people are really at stake and there's a maybe cool villain on the loose.
Then not watch any more ever :grinningteeth:

I want to try and watch Tokyo Ghoul, so maybe you'll be interested in that. Maybe.

Spoiler, but no, there is not rape in Mirai Nikki from what I can remember. Just watched it a month ago. I only remember one thing that could even approach it tho.
And it is out of place, poorly handled, just there for upping the stakes, and shouldn't have been a thing.
The first HALF OF AN EPISODE is someone getting sexually harassed. It's not covered by clever cinematography or anything (This is SAO), it's you staring at it. It's disgusting.
In Mirai Nikki they just imply that it is about to happen, but it doesn't end up happening. Even if it did, it would have been the equivalent of what Marvel does when they kill someone brutally (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy, man gets head smashed in with hammer, and they cut away so we don't see it, though we do see the blood from it)

Don't mind my poor explanations of them ^^' Strapped for time.

Shows
Outlaw Star - Sci-fi/Fantasy with space ships, aliens, and stuff!
Code Geass - ex-prince with mind control seeking revenge
Your Lie in April - a beautiful, well-developed, and immersive and emotional story
Wolf's Rain - wolves that can transform into humans (not werewolves, it's complicated) are searching for paradise as there is no peace and happiness for their kind thanks to humanity
Guilty Crown - I saw this a looong time ago... can't remember the main plot, but I remember that it was pretty kick ass!
Zoids - I prefer the original, it surrounds gigantic kick ass ligers... similar to Gundam in my opinion
Devil is a Part-Timer - instead of going down to Georgia, the Devil gets stuck on Earth and gets to work like a human
Kaichou Wa Maid-sama! - a student council president is a maid when she's not at school (students aren't allowed to have jobs while being all student-y or something, can't remember)
Wolf and Spice - a wolf goddess and a farmer guy sell spices
One-Punch Man - this poor guy becomes so strong and bad ass to the point where no being can match up to his power (the struggle is real)... and he's never recognized
Death Parade - when you die, you must play a game to determine if you will go to heaven or hell

Movies
Wolf Children - a story of a woman and werewolf and their children (don't wanna spoil this one)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzamiya - this poor guy gets dragged around by this girl who has a rather wild and powerful imagination (fantasy, has a show and book with it)
I'll assume you've seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro... etc... if not, disgraceful. Even if you don't prefer them, they must be watched at least once.

Actual penetration is not shown, but does happen to Number 6 and the female Number 7. It's a fairly major plot point for both of those characters.
7 didn't, but came close, I'm pretty sure. 6 did ye my bad. But again, point stands, they didn't show anything. Unlike SAO where you only see, you watch the whole process. And not only do you watch the whole process, you watch it for half an episode (around 10 minutes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back