Anime & Manga Anime: Post your Anime Pet Peeves!

Lady Amaranthine

So if you are an anime fan, well you will hit that pet peeve from wanting more eps or the long wait between seasons, to them breaking away from the manga in a bad way. This is a chance for you to post/share these Pet Peeves!

Major pet peeve: A rushed anime that doesn't take the time to expand more on characters. This is especially noted with antagonists and supporting characters, sometimes elsewise.

It's a pet peeve of mine when there is a very long season and they don't even kiss till the LAST episode, if even, and they been trying to get together since episode 1, but 'random funny happen-stance' just keeps it from happening. I enjoy it and it ticks me off at the same time. >_<;;

My pet peeve is when you try out a new anime that looks promising. Cool art, interesting premise, original setting, and the characters are all one dimensional tropes. I'm really sick of the same tropes all the time in anime, as though its not possible to write characters that don't fit neatly in the exact same little boxes. It's led to me being extremely picky with new anime series.

Double points if one of the tropes in question is "girl who has a crush on her big brother" because that is just icky and why is it even a thing?! D:

Excessively happy, or incredibly energetic, protagonists.

Ironically, I enjoy Black Clover.

Excessively happy, or incredibly energetic, protagonists.

Ironically, I enjoy Black Clover.

I don't mind those kinds of protags but if they are overused, they can be the most annoying characters. I like more down-to-earth types honestly.

Ookay...pet peeve in animes for me. I am okay with the girls being showy or somewhat...bodacious and voluptuous.. but when you can tell it probably just because the people writing/ drawing the characters, it's either them or fans, want certain parts (bosom) bigger or smaller (waist) its annoying. Or if they just make the girl okay with being felt up, accidental or not, and she's just all bashful. Just more fan biased stories and its annoying. Taking away from what can be more focused into the story.
Example, I loved Nami the way she was in the beginning of OP and now she's all breast. Don't get me wrong her character is still awesome, but its ridiculous.
Another example is that clutz in Fire force who apparently falls all the time or whatever and suddenly all her clothes just get ripped off...like >> can we get back to the story....
I've got plenty more...felt good to vent a little. Thanks

• Titles that are entire sentences. It's really awkward asking someone, "Hey, have you seen 'I'm a demon in a school for demon hunters'?
  • The gentrification of high fantasy and its associated tropes.
  • Everything being self-indulgent but not overtly lewd. It's all "obvious harem set-up but everyone is oblivious" and "setting up outrageous scenes to justify the characters getting naked" and everyone's favorite, "comparing breast sizes in the hot spring". I want my balanced gender ratios back, dammit.
  • The lack of meaningful character interactions. Everything is gags now.
Konosuba isn't bad, from what I've heard, but I feel like it's responsible for several of these trends and I probably wouldn't hesitate to prevent it from airing if I could go back in time.

When there is 'end of Season 1' with unfinished plot lines and Season 2 never happens.

When there is 'end of Season 1' with unfinished plot lines and Season 2 never happens.
There was an anime a few years ago called Nanbaka that had two seasons back-to-back and ended the second right before the fight with the arc villain. I've seen neither hide nor hair of it since.

Oblivious protags. Like, just why? Is it a story thing? Surely you can come up with a legitimate reason for them not noticing a key event, person, etc. It makes them look like a lobotomite. Even then, a lobotomized character would probably be more interesting.

"Fan" service. Properly more so known as "Hyper sexuality service." Worst case I can currently remember up for it is Rosario + Vampire. Mein Gott. I mean originally for titles I saw it as alright, but now its goddamned frequent. Is it like this for other types? Technical exceptions are like one piece nami in terms of just appearance I guess. But the moment a character gets at any level of exposed, the great irkening shall cometh forth unless its a necessary result for a story. IE redressing into a super suit or something. Just doing it because, irks me.

Let's see... Another would have to be copy and paste tropes with not even a single thing altered about it. Just because the last time it was seen was five years ago, does not mean its back to being new again!

Even though I love this stuff, I suppose randomized gibbing, yeeting, and dismember/disembowelment for no reason. Its one thing if it is a main villain if there is one, or if the character is known for it or insane, but it is another if you just tear someone's spine out just because you got bored.

Not as big of an issue, but because of how analytical I am, sometimes I get irked by characters or gored entities with more blood than their body could hold, even if all the bones, organs, etc were replaced with nothing but blood itself. Other times I want it. So whatever.

And finally overdone shock values. A character being injured, killed, how an event is super dramatic and gets one upped for no reason five seconds later, etc.

Don't currently have anymore but that.

Anime used to be great because it presented everything from silly stories to serious ones in an animated format. Now anime is just anime for being anime.

Me: :o that girl punched her crush?

Normie: why did she do that?

Me: because thats what your waifu does in anime

Besides the exaggerated violence in some rom-com animes, I have one gripe. I dislike animes that basically ignore the relevance of other characters. These are the ones that have only the main cast get something done or have any real impact in the entire world. While of course I would like to have the main characters be the primary focus, it can sometimes get annoying. For example, if an interesting, capable cast of side characters is introduced, but they do absolutely nothing. No relevance. They're just there as filler and get little to no development.

You know the scenes where characters act all chuuni and stuff?

That's when I pause the show, pace around, continue, pause, repeat.

Grimdark magical girl deconstructions. You will never be Puella Magi Madoka Magica, stop trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back