• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love: Draft Three

Isabel
The following morning, I woke up, smiling when I looked out the window to see the sun coming in through it. It was a sign that all storms had broken and left, meaning it was a sunny day here in Dallas.

When Dawson left to go grab the both of us breakfast along with my hospital bag, I felt determined to build a bond with our son. I knew I was just overreacting. I had a tendency to do so but all I wanted was that connection.

Thanking the nurse when she handed me Mateo, I held my son close, admiring how handsome he was the entire time. Dawson was right when he said you could get lost in time when looking at him. Time seemed to stop as I stared into those beautiful green eyes, admiring him and the fact that we were so blessed to have him. Sighing contently, I laughed quietly when he fell back asleep. I decided to make myself comfortable and lay back, setting him on my chest while I watched HGTV.

I was thankful Dawson allowed my son and I to be left alone during this time before those who loved him began to bombard the room, trying to get to hold Mateo. I knew I was going to play full momma bear the minute our family members arrived. After the rough day I had giving birth to the greatest blessing I ever received.

Hearing the door open, I looked over and smiled at Dawson, immediately smelling the Earl Grey tea. "Mm, all my favorites." I said with a wide grin, letting him take Mateo and place him in his bed. "You are amazing, ya know that?" I asked him, leaning forward to kiss him lovingly. "Thank you for breakfast. When is everyone going to start coming?" I wasn't too thrilled about it, but I knew it was going to happen. The only person I wanted here meeting Mateo was Amelia, but I knew with a room full of Covington's she wouldn't intrude. I really wish they wouldn't have made shit awkward. I wasn't even sure what family was coming first. I could only imagine trying to fit the Covington's and my family in one room. That would be too chaotic for me to handle right now.

Dawson
When I returned to the sight of my son laying peacefully on his mother's chest, I had to stop and take a picture. It was precious. Walking in quietly careful not to wake the sleeping infant, I took him gently in my arms while Isabel ate her breakfast.

"They'll be here later. Don't worry about it, my love. I'm only letting my parents and sister come up. I politely asked everyone else to wait until they're invited to see him."

My family was far from small and I knew the thought of having our son around that many people after just being born stressed Isabel out. Plus, someone was coming in with her family I knew she would want to spend the morning with. I just wanted her to eat her breakfast first.

Amelia
Some might call me crazy for what I would do for my best friend, but the truth was I didn't care. Isabel was family so every decision I ever made about her was because she meant that much to me. Some may say, I should have waited until she brought Mateo home and was invited to come and see him, but I just couldn't wait. As soon as Dawson called to tell me she was in labor, Jayden and I headed straight for the airport, taking the first flight out to Dallas we could get. The flight didn't leave until nine that night and by then Dawson was already sending me pictures of my precious nephew that made me cry in the terminal. He looked just like his mom and when Dawson told me his name, I fell deeper in love with my best friend's son. In my eyes, as his honorary aunt, he was perfect.

Dawson told me the labor was rough on Isabel and that she lost a lot of blood but everything would be okay. Knowing she needed time to recover and enjoy her son, Jayden and I agreed to not come to his our nephew until the following morning with Isabel's family. I knew they wouldn't mind my visit, instead, they looked forward to it. If anything I was thankful for Jayden. The minute I told him I had to leave, rather than tell me I should reconsider at least waiting until morning, he packed our bags and paid for our tickets.

After a safe flight to Dallas, I texted Dawson we arrived and Isabel's mom that I would meet them in the morning to meet the baby we all couldn't wait to get our hands on. Jayden and I got a hotel for the night where we slept until the next morning.

While waiting on the go ahead text from Dawson, Jayden and I went to breakfast, where I had to downplay my hunger because he still didn't know about my pregnancy and I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep it hidden. I was four months now and starting the show, the bump was starting to pop out and I could feel the baby's flutters. Unlike Isabel, morning sickness for me was pretty nonexistent the first trimester, if anything I was just overly exhausted and moody, but Jayden never questioned it much. Now I was constantly hungry and trying to hide my weird cravings was almost impossible. Whenever one came to mind I made an excuse to leave and ate it while I was out before I came home. I knew had to tell him soon. I didn't plan to hold it off this long, but whenever I tried to tell him, he was in a rush or too stressed for me to want to bring it up. Maybe today? I thought. I'm so tired of not being able to tuck my shirts into my cute jeans and I just want to eat my guacamole in peace.

Affter breakfast, I left still hungry, drinking water to try and fill my stomach, the two of us went to the store to pick something up to bring baby Mateo and his parents. Deciding on the perfect gift to match his anchor blanket I already bought him a few months ago, I giggled when Dawson sent the okay text for everyone to come up.

Wanting to give Isabel's family their own time, Jayden and I didn't hurry to meet him but we did arrive an hour later. Putting on our visitor badges, we followed Dawson up to the room after giving him hugs. I was elated to see the pride in his face to show me his son. I was happy for him. As usual, Bel didn't know I was here, but that was about to change.

Following Dawson in the room, I hid my face behind the bouquet of sunflowers wrapped in a blue ribbon, the blanket on my arm. Moving the face away I smiled at Isabel and waited for her to notice me while she watched her mom take fawn over her new grandbaby. When she saw me, I ran over to hug her setting the gifts aside so I could hug her tightly, careful not to hurt her.

"You're a glowing mom," I whispered for only her to hear. "I'm so proud of you."

Last edited:
Isabel
I wasn't at all expecting to see Amelia come and meet Mateo now that he was born. I knew she was keeping a distance from me because of the Covington's. The only person I absolutely wanted in my room, meeting mine and Dawson's son was my best friend. She was there for me through everything, helped me through my stress and panic attacks even though she was miles away. When she came into the room, I was more than shocked. I didn't know what to say when she followed Dawson into the room and hid behind the bouquet of sunflowers.

I hugged Amelia tightly, trying to fight back the tears because she was here. "You're here. I love you. I'm so glad you're here. I didn't want you to come months later because you deserve to meet Mateo now." I whispered gently, letting her go when my mother offered to hand off Mateo to my best friend. "Mateo, that's your Aunt Amelia and Uncle Jayden. I can tell you from the moment you were conceived, they have loved you. They will always love you and I will always have to fight your Aunt for you." Laughing, I looked over at Dawson and motioned him over, leaning up to whisper to him.

"Thank you for letting her come." Smiling, I pulled away before kissing him gently before I took his hand, watching the people who make me the happiest admire my son. "Look at them. Mateo's going to be so loved, Dawson and he hasn't even met your family yet."

Amelia
Holding Isabel I didn't let go until she did. I miss you. Being here was enough to make me want to ugly cry, I blamed my off balance hormones but kept my tears to myself.

"Of course I'm here. I wouldn't miss it for the world." Hugging her again, I grin at Jayden when he said his hellos, admiring the baby from a distance, eagerly waiting for my turn. When Isabel's mom handed him to me, I fell in love. He's so precious. Seeing his angelic face made me actually start to cry while I sat in the chair next to Isabel with him in my arms.

"Hi handsome boy. You're so precious," I whispered. My nephew literally took my breath away. Holding him closer to me, I took in his sweet baby smell. "I'll give you whatever you want when your parents say no," I teased, laughing at Isabel when she glared at me. Admiring the baby for awhile I stroked his cheeks, laughing when Jayden inched closer to get his turn. He was itching to hold Mateo just as much as I was.

"Can I help you, Jay?" I teased. When he asked for the baby I nodded. "Okay, I guess." Handing Mateo off to his uncle I watched Jayden admire him. Taking a picture of the two because the sight was too sweet to forget.

"What do you think Uncle Jayden? Do you think he's cute?" Laughing at Jayden's cheesy response I shook my head. Seeing Jayden with baby Mateo set in my own reality. In a few months, Jayden would be holding our baby. Our baby.

"Do you think his baby cousin will be as cute?"

Isabel
Oh my god. Amelia's telling Jayden. Oh my gosh! Did he even catch on? Words could not describe how over the moon I was because my best friend was finally telling her fiancé she was pregnant. Jayden was finally going to know about his child growing inside of Amelia's stomach. This child was definitely a miracle in my eyes. Amelia was now four months, no longer in the first trimester, which means the chances of miscarriage were low to none. That's why Amelia is telling him now. Jayden, did you even hear her?!

"Congrats you happy couple. I can't wait to meet my niece or nephew." I said excitedly, holding Mateo close, rocking him to sleep so he wasn't grumpy when his other family decided to come and see him. "So Jay, by your tears I can tell you're more than excited for your child. I just want to let you know, good luck trying to get your child back from me once he or she is born." Laughing when Amelia rolled her eyes, I smiled again.

Jayden
"I think he's the cutest." I responded to my fiancée, continuing to look down at my nephew. It made me so excited to know Isabel and Dawson finally had a family of their own. Mateo was going to be so loved by his parents and everyone else. "He looks just like you, Isabel, except his eyes. Those he definitely gets from Dawson." I told the happy couple, keeping Mateo in my arms close against me as his eyes scanned the entire room full of people who loved him.

When I heard Amelia ask if Mateo's baby cousin will be as cute, I was confused at first. Looking over at her, I blinked but when I noticed her slight belly, I gasped, handing Mateo back to his mother before I walked closer to Amelia, putting my hands against her belly as I fought back tears. "You're pregnant?" I asked, biting my lip as it began to quiver. I was more than happy knowing Amelia and I are having a child together. "How far are you?" I didn't move away from Amelia as everyone said their congratulations to the both of us. I smiled when Dawson came over and took us into a hug. This was one of he best moments of my life. I met my nephew and now I found out I was having a child of my own.

Amelia
Now that the secret was out to the person who mattered most, I relaxed. When he looked at me completely perplexed, I bit my lip, resting a gentle hand over the secret I was keeping, watching his eyes go wide, I nodded, giggling nervously while he ran Mateo back to his mother and over to me. His reaction was a precious as I imagined it. Seeing the huge tears come over his eyes while he tried to grasp the news, I had to catch my own breath. I only hoped he would still be as excited when he realized how long I kept the baby news from him. Putting my hand over his, I took a deep breath, to try and get him to feel the life I was growing.

Seeing the amazement in his eyes as he tried to keep himself together, I ran my fingers through his hair before Dawson took both of us into a hug. I was thankful for the love in this room.

"Four months. Are you mad?" I asked in a nervous whisper, pulling out my phone to show him the sonograms he missed. "See," I said passing him the phone.

Jayden
"Am I mad? Of course I'm not, Amelia. We're having a baby." I whispered softly, kissing her gently before I pulled away so that I could look at the sonograms I missed. Maybe another person would have been upset that their significant other waited four months to tell them about the baby but I knew Amelia did so with good intentions. Considering what she went through in the past with Nick, I knew she was just trying to protect me from the high chance of her having a miscarriage. She didn't have to but I understood why she kept me out of the loop until now.

"Our baby is growing inside of you. Wow." I whispered softly, chuckling when Isabel's mom asked to see the sonograms. Handing her the phone, I held Amelia in my arms, my hands resting on her stomach where she was slightly showing. How did you not notice, Acciolli? You oblivious fool. I was more than excited with the news of yet another critter on the way, but this meant Amelia and I had some things to talk about before our child made way into the world. Hopefully I don't stress her out like Dawson did with Isabel.

“Linc is going to be so happy when he finds out.” I whispered to Amelia while everyone else took in the sonograms and Mateo. It was a lovely morning spent with the right people and I was sad when the time came for families to switch. I knew Isabel wanted Amelia to stay all day but Amelia wasn’t up for that. She didn’t want to be where she wasn’t allowed, especially with the Covington’s. I had told Dawson it was unfair that his family treated Amelia the way they were and he said he talked to them. All I could do was let it go.

Amelia
Seeing Jayden continue to cope with his disbelief about our child only made me appreciate this baby more. When I found out about the pregnancy, my doctor tried to warn me, letting me know there was less than a fifty percent chance the baby would make it past the first trimester, but intuition told me this is what I prayed for.

Now in the second trimester, the baby was a little underweight, but other than that, after running all the tests for any health condition, he or she was healthy.

Now that Jayden knew he was going to be a father for the second time around, I was eager to pick his brain about his thoughts. What are you thinking about right now? When he mentioned Lincoln, my despondency was inevitable . I was fearful given the circumstance, that Lincoln would resent his younger sibling or his mom's family for not being as a part of his dad's life as his brother or sister. I worried with a baby on the way, Jayden's visits withe Lincoln would become fewer in the next couple months as an unfortunate consquence of our seperation. The last thing I wanted was for Lincoln to feel isolated and displaced. But the reality was Jayden was bulding a life that his son should be a part of, but instead, he was being treated like a guest. I'm so sorry Linc. I didn't mean for it to happen this way.

Squeezing Jayden's hand, I knew a difficult conversation was in the near future, but for now, I had another difficult one to have with my best friend. My goodbye.

As fast as I came to meet my nephew I was leaving again. I knew by the look on Isabel's face when I stood up to leave with her parents, she didn't want me to go, but I had to. Jayden had work the next morning and the Convington's deserved a chance to meet their newest memeber without a distasteful woman in their presence.

Hugging Isabel, I wasn't surprised when the two of us started crying. Pulling away from her, I sar next to her on the bed, her free hand in mine.

"Hey, no crying, there's no need to be sad, best friend, today is about all the people who love Mateo. Okay? I'll be back, I promise." Hugging her again, I took the baby from her arm, careful not to wake him, kissing his forehead while he slept.

"You're so precious, love. One day you'll knoe how lucky you are to have the mommy you do. She's pretty amazing, Always be sweet to her beause you're an anchor now too," I whispered, holding Mateo's tiny hand before handing him back to Isabel, handing her the beaded braclet with an anchor charm I picked out for her son.

"For when he's older. I love both of you," I whispered one last time before I left the room with my arm around Jayden. Leaving never got easier.

Last edited:
Isabel
Goodbye's were never easy for me when it came to Amelia. I knew when we left each other, it wasn't the end. We would always visit whenever we could but Amelia had been keeping a distance from Texas, which meant she rarely came to see me ever since what happened at the rodeo. Because of Dawson's family and their fixed perception of Amelia, she and I have grown distant and I hated it. I hated knowing they were the reason and they didn't even care.

I couldn't stop myself from crying. I didn't know when Amelia and I would see each other again, especially because she was pregnant and reaching the point of not being able to travel. Shaking my head, I hugged Amelia tight, trying to compose myself before Mateo's other family came to meet him.

"I know you will be, just not as soon as I would hope." I whispered to Amelia, letting her take Mateo into her arms, admiring him before she handed me the bracelet. "It's perfect." I told her gently, putting the bracelet on for now, taking Mateo back into my arms, weakly giving a smile when Amelia and Jayden left. "Say bye to you Aunt and Uncle, Mateo." I whispered to him, holding his hand in mine, waving it before releasing a deep sigh.

When the Covington's arrived, the smile on my face was as fake as it could get, but no one seemed to notice. That was a good thing. You know damn well Dawson sees through your façade. I know he did but I couldn't keep being civil when they were the reason Amelia and I were growing distant. We were so far apart already, this distance of hardly visiting wasn't needed. If anything, it just added more stress and anxiety into every day. I was the best at overthinking and I did it best when it concerned Amelia.

"He's precious, Isabel." I heard Shelly tell me as she held Mateo in her arms. Smiling at her, I thanked her. "I'm really glad he got his fathers eyes." I said with a giggle, taking Dawson's hand in my own so I could give it a squeeze. I didn't do it for reassurance. I did it because I needed him to now deep inside I was spiraling. I didn't know how much longer I could keep up with this façade.

"I'm not entirely sure if I'm sold with his name." Dawson's cousin, best friend to Josie, said.

"Oh? Why's that?" I asked her, trying not to grind my teeth together in irriation.

"I just feel like his name doesn't fit with the rest of us Covington's."

"I think it does. He does have the Covington last name."

"Mm, I just don't like it. I think Asher or Liam would've fit better."

I had to hold myself back from pulling the race card, from mentioning how close-minded his cousin was. I knew she was just saying this to get under my skin, so I grin and bared the rest of the Covington visit, wanting them all to leave and Amelia to come back. I wanted Mateo surrounded by the unconditional love.

When everyone left, I saw the look Dawson gave me. All I could do was sigh as I handed him Mateo to put him in his bed. "I really don't want to argue right now, Dawson." I whispered softly, watching him closely as he laid Mateo down. When he asked what my problem with his family was now, I didn't want to say anything but I knew deep down, I needed to tell him the truth.

"I can't stand them constantly judging Amelia, viewing her only as the woman who caused havoc because of what happened at the rodeo. We proved Josie got her drunk by putting Bailey's in her coffee, but it wasn't enough. She's a saint in your family's eyes and I can't stand it. Amelia doesn't visit as much anymore because she doesn't want to upset your family with her presence. It's ridiculous. I wish everyone would just get along and I wish all your cousins would accept me for who I am like Brett does."

OOC: Sorry for the late reply y'all I was too sick to even talk to my best friend. :closedeyescryingfrown:
Dawson
When Amelia left I recognized the heartbreak in Isabel's expression, and as usual, I felt helpless about it. I knew for as long as the two had spent their friendship apart, with babies and husbands now soon to be in their full picture, their visits and their friendship was becoming exceptionally difficult to maintain. I also knew, with my family's outstanding grudge against Amelia for her behavior at the rodeo, Isabel wasn't too thrilled with them and the idea they were pushing her best friend farther away from her. While I understood why Isabel was frustrated, I was frustrated with her for making the difficulties in her friendship with Amelia one-sided. Amelia was a grown woman, who if she wanted to see her best friend as often as they were used to, she was stubborn enough to not let anyone stop her. when she visited she didn't have to go to the ranch. I didn't understand why she was keeping as much as a distance as she was.

"My love, if you want to fix things with Amelia, you should talk out with her whatever you're feeling. She should know she is welcome here and she doesn't have to be around my family if what happened months ago still bothers her. I understand why you're frustrated, they should let it go, but so should she. She wants to be the bigger person so she shouldn't stoop to their level, and no one said she only had to come to Texas. You're free to go visit her in D.C. whenever you want. I'm not keeping you here by any means. I know she's important to you, and I understand you want everyone to get along, but the people you're trying to put all the blame on are my family, so I have a right to defend them too, Isabel. You have to realize that maybe the two of you just can't handle the distance between you anymore with the lives you're building. I'm not saying its true and you're going to lose her, I'm saying the two of you need to talk it out before you do."

I knew the truth about her best friend was hard for Isabel to hear, but I knew she needed to hear it.

Amelia
After leaving Isabel and Mateo, Jayden and I went to lunch at our go-to Italian restaurant in Dallas before we headed for the airport back to D.C. While he checked his work phone I looked on to him nervously. He hadn't said much since we left and I was anticipating the things we needed to discuss. Sipping my tea, I smiled at him when he put the phone away.

"What's going on now?" I asked curiously. I assumed someone asked Jayden to pick up a job. When the waiter approached with our bread I smiled at him, thanking him politely before I dug into the sliced loaf. I was scary hungry. Folding the heavy napkin in my lap, I listened to what Jayden had to say about work while I dipped my bread in the olive oil and herb mixture. "You've just become so popular, officer," I teased. happy when my salad son followed.

Isabel
“How can she feel welcome here if your family can’t stand her? You don’t know Amelia like I do. You don’t know what she’s gone through. Amelia not coming he often enough is because she doesn’t want to intrude, Dawson. I get you think it’s so easy for her to not be around your family but if we’re going to be a family, if we get married, it won’t be that easy. Who was at my baby shower? She was, my family, and guess what Dawson, your family too. How can we ever host holidays and parties if this is going to continue happening? Does Amelia feel guilty about what happened? Yes, she does. Does she want to move past this? Yes. Ya know who has shown no effort in moving past this? Your family. You can take a horse to the water but you can’t make it drink it, Dawson. So ya know what? Okay, I’ll talk it out with her and I get you’re irritated and upset because this involves your family but am I not family to you? Am I just the title I currently have in this relationship? Your girlfriend who happens to be the mother of your child? I thought I was way more than that but it’s whatever.” Towards the end, I heard my voice cracking. At this point, I didn’t even want to be in the same vicinity as Dawson. Feeling the tears stream down my face, I looked away from my pilot, the man I wanted to build a life with. Right now, my feelings were all over the place. I knew I loved him but this fight hurt more than it should and maybe it was because of my hormones. If I could leave the room, trust me, I would’ve.

Wiping the tears away, I let the silence in the room consume my entire mood. I didn’t want to say anything anymore and I didn’t like the awkward tension. I decided to turn in the tv, letting it be white noise in the background.

Jayden
Smiling at Amelia after looking at my work phone, I told her about Luke needing to take tomorrow off because his wife just went into labor. “Basically, he asked if I can pick up his beat an let Susana take mine. I told him I didn’t mind. His beat has more action.” I told her with a wink, smiling gently before I grabbed the bread, ripping a piece so I could dunk it in the herb and oil mixture so I could eat it. “I have become popular I suppose. How are you feeling? Was your first trimester hard?” I asked her curiously, not sure if she suffered from horrible morning sickness. I wasn’t upset that she kept this a secret for four months. I understood. Now she and I could look forward with little negative thoughts. “I’m going to every appointment starting now, by the way. You can’t stop me.” Chuckling, I grabbed her hand in mine, messing with the ring in her finger that reminded me she was going to be my wife. “You look stunning, Future Wife.” I said softly.

Dawson
Not wanting to let my anger get the best of me, I took a deep breath, letting Isabel say her peace. I didn't want to argue but it was obvious neither of us could let go of our frustration regarding the family tension. You don't know that I want you to be more than what you claim to be by now. You're making this so hard on me. I love you so much it hurts when you pull that card.

"You know you're more than that to me and it's not fair for you to try to make it seem otherwise. You're asking me to choose between you and them, Isabel. I know Amelia is your best friend, I get it, you love her and the two of you were inseparable. Before me and Jayden happened, it was you two against the world and I'm sorry that it's not that way anymore. Amelia is lucky to have you to defend her so passionately. But just as you can say you're not family to me and I put my family first, but I can just as easily say that you do the same for Amelia. You're not defending me to her this way. Don't make this just about me. I don't want to fight with you, I love you, we just had our son, Isabel. You think this is how I want to spend his first day with you? I'm sorry, but you have to understand the picture that you and Amelia made for your future is different now that you have families of your own and you're living in different places. I know you want her to come to all our family gatherings and you want everyone to get along, but Amor, did you ever think about the time she doesn't come because she has her family with Jayden and they have their sides as well. As long as our friends live elsewhere, there is going to be a distance because life is busy now, that's just how it is. You can't have the best of both worlds the way you pictured it, it's just not realistic. I'm sorry, I really am.
"

Amelia
"The only thing that was really horrible about it was that you didn't know. The secret killed me." Keeping the baby a secret from Jayden was a big risk. I knew there was a chance that he would leave for work and never come back, not knowing about the son or daughter he was blessed with, just like with Lincoln, except, with his second child, he would never get the chance to be a part of their life. I prayed every time he left into the dangerous night, this wasn't true. I hoped now that he knew, he would be more cautious out on the streets. The thought of more action made me anxious, but I didn't want Jayden to feel like I was guilt tripping him. I understood the risks of his career and I wasn't going to ask him to change for me because i knew he was equally respectful of my career and its risks.

Laughing at his insistence to be involved, I nodded. "I want you to come but your flattery isn't needed." Continuing to sip my tea I watched the man I loved admire me in silence, looking up at him, I knew he would notice my blushing cheeks. Biting my lip, I made eye contact, not letting go of his hand. "What are you thinking about?" I knew he needed time to comprehend the news, but now that it was out, we needed to make decisions that would affect our lives together. I was still primarily concerned about Lincoln, but I had no idea that Jayden was thinking about more than I suspected.

Isabel
I didn't feel like fighting with Dawson either. This argument wasn't how I wanted to spend the first day with our son together but it was happening. Let's just say, the minute Dawson threw in my face the distance was always going to be there with our friends, even more now that Amelia and I were starting our lives with our significant others and a family, was not something I wanted to hear with my hormones all out of place. I bit my lip, busting it open from how hard I was biting down on it. I didn't want to cry but I felt it. I didn't need for Dawson to tell me this because I already knew about it. It was an elephant in the room I usually ignored, but now that he brought it up, I couldn't stop myself from crying. Ugly crying. He's right, ya know. Y'all are going to grow so distance now. What you and Amelia only ever dreamed of was never going to happen. I'm alone.

Bringing my knees against my chest, I buried my face between them and cried. I tried not to cry so loud for fear of waking up Mateo but failed. This was my breaking point over mine and Amelia's friendship. "Just shut up, Dawson." I said harshly between my cries, a little more harsh than intended. I could feel my chest start getting tight while the room seemed to get smaller and smaller. Looking up, my eyes were fixed on the walls, feeling as if they were closing in and about to crush me. I was having an anxiety attack and my asthma also decided to kick my ass. Gasping for air, I didn't utter a word, my eyes doe-like as they stayed focused on the walls. I hugged myself tight, flinching away when Dawson tried to touch me. You're the last person I want near me right now. Amelia. I want Amelia. Why can't you just stop defending your family and let me keep my best friend! I couldn't say anything that was on my mind. I refused to let Dawson help me. Feeling my body growing weak, I heard Mateo's cries from a distance. Now, everything was spinning and before I could even catch a breath, I saw my nurse run in, asking me something before my body felt heavy and I passed out.

"We're going to give her some more fluids, Mr. Covington. I assure you she'll be alright. Has she been diagnosed medically for anxiety or depression? Is she on medication for it? Or was this just a spur of the moment thing for y'all? I understand sometimes a new mother's hormones are completely out of balance so maybe that's what caused this."

Jayden
"Did it now? Don't worry about it too much, my love. I understand why you didn't mention it from the beginning." I told Amelia lovingly, smiling as I continued to hold her hand in mine, not wanting to let it go. I was glad that she seemed to be in a rather chipper mood right now. Considering we just left from seeing Isabel and meeting Mateo. I knew the goodbyes were always hard for the two of them, especially now with all the extra distance for more than one reason.

What am I thinking about? Us.
Noticing the blush on Amelia's cheeks, I smiled brightly. I loved her so much and building a family with her made my heart soar with happiness. This woman, the future mother to my child and wife, was the only woman to ever make me weak in the knees. She was stunning beyond compare, smart, caring and compassionate. She was everything, MY everything.

"I'm just thinking about us. Our little blessing that's on the way, getting Linc to live with us sooner, how stunning you look. You're definitely glowing, mom-to-be. Most importantly, I'm think about how much I really want to make you my wife already. I am impatiently waiting for the day you walk down the aisle in you stunning gown, taking my breath away and making me cry before we say yes to committing the rest of our lives to one another. You're it for me, Amelia. You're my life and knowing we have another life growing inside of you makes me so happy. I can't wait to face the future head on with you. So that's what I'm thinking of, Melia. I love you."

Amelia
The glow is sweat, Jayden. I'm always sweating. "Stop it, I'm really sensitive right now and you're going to make me cry," I whispered, feeling them come on but pushed them away the best I could. Damn it. Taking a deep breath, I wiped my dripping eye with the napkin and laughed at how ridiculous I must have looked. "I love you, too," I replied sincerely before I heard my phone go off. Pulling it out of my purse, I didn't recognize the number but I knew it was a Dallas number by the area code. Answering it on a whim, my emotion quickly altered to concern. Something's wrong with Isabel. Panic. I never could stop it, when I knew something was wrong with my anchor, I always threw myself into overdrive and there was no coming back from it until I knew she was out of harm's way.

Isabel's on call nurse called me to let me know of a situation I wasn't expecting, she called me because when we were on our own, just the two of us, just starting out in the field we agreed to put each other as a medical emergency contact so if there ever came a circumstance, we would have validation to be present through any dire medical interventions. Because neither of us were married yet, I still remained as her primary contact.

"Hello, Miss Carson, I'm a nurse here at Medical City I'm calling because it says in her file you're Miss Anes emergency contact. I just wanted to know if you knew anything about her medical history that could help us. She had an episode and lost consciousness. The doctor thinks it was a panic attack but she wants to know if she has any other medical conditions that could have caused this. We asked her boyfriend but he can't give us any answers."

Livid.

"I can be there in ten minutes. But she does have asthma and this isn't her first panic attack," When the nurse asked me all her medical questions I gave straight answers while I threw some money on the table and grabbed my purse to walk out, not surprised when Jayden followed at my heels. When I hung up the phone, I handed him the keys.

"You need to drive me back to the damn hospital and talk some fucking sense into your best friend because he just threw mine into a panic attack and he's pissing me the fuck off, Jayden! She just had their baby! I trusted him with her!!"

Jayden spent the whole car ride trying to calm me down, but it was useless. I was beyond angry because I had a hunch I knew what happened shortly after I left. "Jayden, all I need you to do is to teach him how to respect her or I'll make sure she leaves his sorry ass. I'm over him and his family's childish games. That's not a name I want Isabel to take if it means she has to be belittled the rest of her life for not condoning to their ridiculous expectations. Dawson's truly an asshole and I don't know why you would ever want to be friends with someone who doesn't stick up for the woman he's supposed to love or the people she considers family! Both of you are beyond stupid if you think you or the kids we have with you are going to keep us away from each other!" I exclaimed before I ran inside, not waiting for him to follow.

Meeting the doctor at the desk I answered all her questions, running into the room after, meeting eye contact with the one human I didn't want to see. "Put the baby down and leave, now." When Dawson tried to interject, I threw my stuff in the chair and adamantly repeated myself. "Put the baby down and leave now or I swear to God, Dawson Covington this will be the last time I ever sit in the same room with you peacefully. Leave. You can't help her, you obviously know nothing and you hate me so why the hell would you want to stay? I thought I could trust you with her but you sure as hell proved me the fuck wrong. I don't even want to look at you." If we weren't in a hospital I would beat the shit out of you. When he continued to argue and the baby started to cry again, I lowered my voice, but only for my nephew's sake. "Leave before Jayden comes up here and makes you leave."

When Jayden did show to escort his piece of shit friend out of the room, I took Mateo calmed him down.

"Hey now, little one, it's okay now. I got you." I whispered, humming to him softly. When he quieted I smiled as he rested his gaze on me. "It's a tough first day for you, little one. I'm sorry. I know your mommy didn't want it to be like this." While I waited for Isabel to wake up, the nurse came in with a bottle for Mateo after she told me he still hadn't learned to latch properly. You poor thing, you're having the record's worst first day.

"You're so handsome, Mateo. I'm sorry about your crazy dad but I can tell you your mom is pretty amazing. She'll love you more than anyone in the world and keep all your secrets. I can promise you, you'll be in a sport by the time you can walk and she'll expect a lot out of you, but that's only because she loves you. Never be afraid to ask for help, because she'll come to your rescue in half a heartbeat. She'll take you on some pretty cool adventures, better than riding horses, she's the best cook. You might think her taking your pictures all the time is annoying, but you'll appreciate it when you have kids of your own. She'll give you everything she can offer you and when you're old enough, she'll be your best friend and I would know she's stellar at that too." Even if your dad doesn't think so.

I wanted Mateo to have his dad in his life, but not if it meant it caused Isabel more harm than good and I refused to let her settle. I wasn't sure in this moment If Dawson was right for her, but when I did, if I had to, there would be no holding back.

Jayden
I knew Amelia didn't want me to follow her into the room Isabel was in, but I also knew my best friend. He was a Texan, a proud one just like Isabel, and he was going to do all he could to stay in the room with his son and girlfriend, a girl who in this moment he didn't deserve to have. I knew I needed to be in the room so I could get him out and I was right. When I walked in, I walked in to yelling between Dawson and Amelia. They were being loud and the minute I heard Mateo start crying, I walked over to Dawson and grabbed his arm, pulling him out of the room. "Dawson enough, let's go." I told him, walking away from the room to a bench outside the hospital. Sighing, I leaned against my knees, putting my face in my hands before I even began tearing my best friend apart. Someone needed to because this, him being the way he was, needed to change.

"The hell, Dawson. What the hell were you thinking sending Isabel into a panic attack like that? She just gave birth to your son, Covington. Yours and her fucking son." Now, I was livid. I could feel the anger in me building the more I sat next to my best friend. "Right now, I'm telling you this as your best friend and fiancé to Isabel's, you're going to blow it. The life you wanted with Isabel, the family, that picture perfect future that you always talk about with the two of you watching your kids play at the ranch, all of that is going to go straight down the drain if you keep going the way you are. Amelia isn't just her best friend, Dawson. It's obvious you haven't realized that and it's a damn shame because even I have come to realize Isabel is more than just a best friend to Amelia. Those two were, are and always will be inseparable and nothing, not you nor I, not the children we have with them, will keep them apart. They are going to do all it takes to be around and you can't stop that. So yes, Isabel's pissed with your family, and she has a fucking right to be. Just like you're upset with Isabel for being mad at your family, Isabel can be mad with you about yours because Amelia is family, Dawson. They're sisters. They're glued to the hip. This, you and your family, isn't going to tear them apart. You need to be a fucking man, Covington. You need to get over yourself, grow some balls, and confront your family about this childish shit. Isabel won't lter herself settle and we both know Amelia nor I will let her too. Right now, your family can't come to terms that Isabel is different. They can't wrap around their head that she is not her ethnicity, she is not her career, she is not where she's from or that she lives here, in Dallas. She is so much more but your close-minded family can't comprehend that. Now, I will give credit to where it's due because your sister loves Isabel, and so does your parents. They know her for who she is, and so does Brett but that's not enough. How could you possibly want Isabel to take your last name when that family can't stand her? Sadly, you let it happen too. You defend your family with Isabel and that's sad, because Isabel should be your family too. Just months ago you said she was the woman you wanted to marry, the woman you wanted to make family, but right now you're treating her like she's something less. You need to decide what you're going to do to fix this, and if you don't, then be prepared to lose her. There's nothing I can do to help you but you need to make up your mind. I'm heading back inside to check on Amelia but then I'll leave. You should keep a distance until tomorrow."

Dawson
This is the biggest shit show. Getting into a screaming match with Amelia was not my proudest moment nor does it help my case. What have you done, Dawson? Pacing back and forth at the bench while Jayden ridiculed me, I kept my hands in my pockets to keep myself from throwing him against the bench he was sitting on. You think you're a better man than me? You spent a year chasing a woman that wanted nothing to do with you. Who are you to tell me how to treat a woman? You're not a saint.

"Jayden, I could beat them with my bare hands and try to get them to love Amelia, but it doesn't mean they will. Once their minds are made up there's no changing them. I wish it wasn't that way, I don't have anything against, Amelia, you know that, and I sure as hell didn't mean to send Isabel into a panic. I just know as long as they are apart, it's only going to get harder when life gets busier. It's not just them anymore and we have to be included in their equation, sisters or not. I will do my best to fix this, but I can't promise things will turn out how we all want it to. All the important people love and support both of them for who they are. Amelia is always welcomed here. I wouldn't expect her to come home with you today after what happened."

In a heavy sigh, I looked up to my best friend. "We have strong women," I said in a shake of the head, taking my dear friend into a hug before he walked off to go check on the women we both loved while I sat on the bench with my hands clasped together to pray that this would all turn out how it was designed to.

The Following Day: Dallas, Texas
Isabel
After waking up from my anxiety attack yesterday, I didn't want to talk much about it or anything I was thinking of, not even with Amelia. I was exhausted, I was feeling more than one emotion and all I wanted was for everything to end up how it should.

Waking up the next morning, all I heard was Mateo's crying. I was quick to act with my mom instincts, taking him out of his bed while I held him and shushed him. Smiling at Amelia, I grabbed Mateo's hand and waved his hand as he began to calm down. "Say good morning to Tia Amelia, Mateo." I said softly, kissing his cheeks before I laid him against my chest, patting his back softly so that he could begin to fall asleep. "Thank you for staying, Best Friend. We both know Dawson is going to be here today. Are you going to be okay?" I asked, focusing on what lied ahead instead of focusing on what happened yesterday. I wanted to forget it happened but I knew that was never going to be the case.

After getting Mateo to fall asleep against me, I smiled down at him, only focusing on my son. It was for his sake and my sanity that Dawson and I worked this out. I loved that man so much it made my heart ache. I've never felt this way about anyone before and I knew deep inside I never wanted to lose him. If we couldn't make this work though, I was going to be okay, You're a strong woman, Isabel. If it doesn't work out you'll survive.

Hearing a knock on the door, I took a deep breath, knowing the person on the other side of the door was Dawson. Looking over at Amelia, I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, feeling my heart begin to pound against my chest. Smiling at him softly, I tried to let him know that he was welcomed back despite what occurred. "Hey." Was all I could get myself to say, looking back down at Mateo, kissing his head softly. "Mateo, daddy's here." I whispered to him, smiling before I looked over at Amelia and noticed she was now standing. "Did Jayden go home? Can you buy me cfa pleaseeeee?" I asked her, giggling excitedly when she gave in and agreed. "Take my card. Amelia, take my card!" I exclaimed. I knew better than to think she would even touch my debit card.

After Amelia left, the room fell deadly quiet. Biting my lip, I looked down at Mateo before I looked and met Dawson's gaze again. "You know I love you, right?" I said softly, continuing to pat Mateo as he slept so I had something to do. "And I don't want to argue anymore. I just want to be able to understand where you're coming from. I'm sorry for being so set on what I had planned before you and Mateo came into my life. I'm adjusting and it's just hard knowing this distance will always be there again unless Amelia and I are in the same city. I also shouldn't really care what your cousins think about me but it's hard." I didn't want to talk his ear off, which was likely because of the emotions I was feeling. "And most importantly, I'm sorry for asking what I am to you. I know I'm more than just your girlfriend. Yesterday was just rough and the hormones are so out of balance. It's so annoying."

Washington D.C.
Jayden
I was able to get home last night at a decent time. After checking on the two strong women, I headed straight for the airport. The minute I got home, I went to bed I was completely exhausted after the day and I needed to get some sleep before I went into work the following morning. I was more than excited to take Luke's beat but I knew I was going to have to tone down the action. With a child on the way and my commitment becoming much more serious with Amelia was more than enough of a reason to lay low at work. I had my family to think about, plus I was going to work on getting Lincoln here with us.

I woke up around five in the morning, getting dressed and ready for my shift. I made myself a cup of coffee, black just like always and drank it before heading into work. Once I was there, I hung out at my desk for awhile before I got started on patrolling for the day. The beat Luke had was the downtown area. It seemed like something was always happening downtown which is why I looked forward to my shift today.

Pulling out my phone, I opened mine and Amelia's text thread, sending her the usual good morning text while also checking up on her and Isabel.

"Good morning, Beautiful (red heart emoji). I just got to work. How are you and Isabel? Did Dawson stop by?"

Dallas, Texas
Amelia
Like any family member would, I stayed with Isabel and Mateo so they weren't alone after such a climatic feud. Of course, while I stayed without a second thought, I harbored resentment that I was the one here, in this horribly stiff chair to spend the night when it should have been Dawson. I didn't regret anything I said to him during our confrontation, he needed to stand up for my best friend and treat her nothing less than she deserved, especially now that they had a family, now wasn't the time to let it all fall apart. But like his family, I was beginning to believe Dawson was no better than the rest of the Convington's and was too set in his outdated southern ways to teach his kin to respect Isabel. I sure as hell wasn't going to continue to let them walk all over me. I made my mistake and owned up to it months ago, I understood there was no taking it back, but I damn sure wasn't going to let one slip up degrade me to the point of not being respected in the manner I worked my ass off to earn. I wasn't one to say I was better than anyone, but the Covington's hadn't lived much of a life compared to the one I lived.

In the morning, I gave up trying to sleep when dawn illuminated through the windows, wincing at how uncomfortable I was. Admitting defeat through a sigh, I opened my eyes and shot up from the chair, not being able to stand it anymore. I brushed myself off, grinning at the sight of both Isabel and Mateo still asleep. Perfect. Slipping out of the room, I went to find a coffee, knowing it would probably be horrible, but I was desperate. When I returned to the room, I sat against the window and read the news on my phone, drinking my bitter bean water until I heard Isabel wake up shortly after Mateo began fussing for her.

Watching her console her son, I giggled when she made him say good morning.

"Good morning, to you both. I'm glad y'all slept." Setting the phone and coffee on the table I sighed at Isabel's mention of Dawson returning. I know he is but we both know I'm too over protective to let yesterday go. This will not happen again. You can't let him off easy, Isabel.

"Stop making this about me, Isabel. I'm fine." Finishing my less than par cup of coffee, I bit my lip when she took my hand and Dawson walked into the room. Don't expect me to say shit when I already said everything I needed to. Often when I considered someone to be on my bad side, which was never a place to be, considering how much it takes to make it there, and it was rare to ever come back. I just shut them out completely. Not saying a word to Dawson, I turned back to my phone in the corner until Isabel strategically made an excuse for me to leave. Ahh, she knows me so well.

"Okay," I replied softly, grabbing my purse from the chair and walking out without even acknowledging Dawson's existence.

When Jayden texted me, I already ordered Isabel's breakfast and was waiting for it at the pickup counter. I didn't get anything for myself because I was still too angry to even think about eating and nothing from Chik-Fil-A sounded appealing. I decided I would decide on something in the airport because I already made the decision to go home today. I wasn't needed here as long as Dawson decided he was going ot be the man he was supposed to be, hopefully, it lasted more than a day.

"I shouldn't have even stayed. She's pretending like nothing happened and of course he showed up. I'll be home later tonight."

Hitting send I picked up the bag and walked back to the car, hitting the steering wheel in frustration before I broke down and cried. I knew I had to do it here, because it Isabel found out, it wouldn't solve anything. You shouldn't have even come in the first place and none of this would have happened. The truth was, I was tired of coming back here to try and make it work with Dawson's family only to be disappointed each time, It was emotionally exhausting, and I knew no matter how hard I tried, nothing was going to change and I knew, with the heart my best friend had, she would forgive Dawson, she probably already had, because he meant that much to her. I couldn't blame her though. Dawson for the most part, treated her right. He was the love of her life.

Washington D.C.
Jayden
When I felt my phone vibrate again, I was still in the office, playing a game with Valadez. What game? Paper basketball. It's what Valadez and I usually did before everyone else working the morning shift showed up and we got started on patrolling our beats. "Acciolli goes for the win, and makes it in!" I said with a laugh, standing in one corner of the room while the trash can, aka our net, was on the opposite side of the room.

When Valadez made a paper ball to start his turn, I pulled out my phone, reading what Amelia told me before I sighed. I knew the way Isabel was just acting like nothing happened yesterday was her way of wanting to forget about it. Amelia, the most protective person I've met, didn't like the fact that Isabel just wanted to move past it. I loved my fiancee, and I understood why she was frustrated, but Isabel wasn't one to keep arguing. Especially not with the man she loved.

"Hey now, don't be so negative, Nelly. We both know Isabel needed you there. You were the only one who knew what to do in that moment. You know Isabel acting like nothing happened was inevitable. She doesn't like arguing with anyone that makes her really happy. I'll see you tonight. Want tacos for dinner?"

Hitting send, I put the phone back in my pocket, making another paper ball for my turn, throwing the ball and hitting Susanna in the process. We all laughed, sat down and waited for the Chief who walked in on time. Thanking him for our coffee, we all got ready for the day. I grabbed my patrol car keys and head out to the car, sipping on my second cup of coffee for the day. Once in the car, I turned on the music, setting the station to the usual classic rock. Singing along, I put the car in drive and headed out to the beat I was covering for the day.

Dallas, Texas
Amelia
Lifting my head from the steering wheel, I looked down at my lap to see Jayden texted me back. You're not helping, Jayden. That's the last thing you should say to your pregnant girlfriend.

"This is about more than Dawson being childish, Jay. Make whatever you want."

On the drive back to the hospital, I thought about too much. I thought about my friendship with Isabel and about how it never was what either of us hoped it would be one day in the future if we were patient. There was always something else that came first. Even when I was living in Dallas, there was work, and she was into the college scene with her college friends on Fry Street. When I moved to D.C. it was the insecurity of distance again and now it was the Covingtons' disapproval of my presence. I would never get to have Isabel in the way I imagined when I used to dream about best friends were. We would never live in the same place and spontaneously take road trips, or travel across the world for a wine tour, we would never take our kids to Disney together and they wouldn't grow up to be best friends themselves. It just wasn't meant to be that way and I had to accept that. I would just continue to be the visiting friend who kept her distance and not cross boundaries I wasn't permitted to. You're immature for thinking that the two of you would ever be that close when life is just too crazy.

Composing myself before I walked back into the hospital and up to Isabel's room, I continued to ignore Dawson. I was afraid id I tried to speak to him I would be the one to blow it out of proportion again.

"Do you need anything else before I go home?" I asked, in my usual tone of voice. I knew Isabel and the baby were getting discharged today to go home and that was definitely something that should be just between the family of three.

Last edited:
Dallas, Texas
Isabel
When Amelia walked back in, I smiled at her brightly, taking the chick-fil-a bag from her happily. "Thank you." I said gently, opening up the bag as my stomach began to growl. I was happy she was here. Honestly, I didn't want her to leave at all because the more I though about it, the more I knew Dawson was right. What Amelia and I waned for us and our kids was unrealistic as long as we lived apart. We couldn't go on spontaneous trips together during the day, go taste wine or have fun holidays and vacation with our kids. It hurt knowing that and I felt like I failed Amelia as a best friend once more. I kept putting so many other things before her, it wouldn't be a surprise if I lost her. You're shit, Anes.

"You're going home? Do you have to?" I asked her softly, trying to shake off my thoughts and hold back my tears. I wanted Amelia to stay here forever. When she told me she had to leave, I knew she did. She and Jayden had their own lives in D.C. They were creating a family and I couldn't be selfish by trying to keep Amelia to myself forever. That wasn't fair to Jayden. "I'm fine." I said, smiling weakly to mask my true feelings. "I love you. Send me your flight number so I can get the updates and let me know when you get home?" I asked her softly, hugging her tightly before she left, not wanting to let go. "I don't want you to leave." I whispered softly before I let her go. "I love you, Best Friend."

With Amelia leaving, I tried to compose myself with Dawson in the room. I didn't want to hear say I told you so. That was the last thing I needed. Crying quietly, I wiped my tears, releasing a sigh before I looked at Dawson who was holding Mateo. "We get to go home today. Are y'all excited?" I asked the two men in my life with a content smile. "Because I am more than ready to go home."

Dallas, Texas
Amelia
"Yes, I have to go," I said softly, pretending like this was just another basic farewell. But when she hugged me and practically begged me to stay as a last-ditch effort, I knew she must have been on to me. Stay strong, Amelia. Don't give in. Pulling away, I hoisted my purse strap back on my shoulder and smiled at her request. "Of course, enjoy being home, Mom. I'll see you later." I don't know how much later. "I love you too." Letting go of her hand, I walked out, wiping my tears as I walked down the lonely halls and drove to the airport to take the next flight out. I used to love the Lone Star state and now I can't stand being here. It's sad. I had a feeling this would be the last time I would be in Texas for awhile if ever again.
Dawson
I knew Amelia was purposefully avoiding me because she was still angry with me, but I didn't acknowledge it because I knew that woman was a firecracker when she was angry and the last thing I needed was Jayden to come back here just to kick my ass for his own satisfaction. Letting her leave, I kept my son against my chest and decided not to talk it out with Isabel right now because she was still uneasy, especially when Amelia didn't press the idea of staying. It wasn't like her to walk away when Isabel asked her to stay, she usually walked away with hesitation in her step and tears in her eyes. Taking a deep breath, I smiled when Isabel turned to me, trying to ignore the temptation to wipe her wet cheeks with my thumbs.

"Of course we're ready to go home. Mateo is a little hesitant because he doesn't know how good he has it there," I teased, walking him over to his mother. I knew he would be a good source of comfort to her right now.

"The nurse said she's getting your discharge papers ready, I'll pack your stuff and you dress him." We were both avoiding the elephant in the room because neither of us knew what was going to happen with Amelia.
8:00 P.M. The same day
Washington D.C.
Amelia
Walking through the door of the apartment, I threw my keys on the end table next to the door and rolled my suitcase inside, shutting the door behind me, not surprised to hear Jade and Dallas come to greet me. Hearing Jayden's footsteps I just sighed and shrugged when we made eye contact. I did what I could.

"Hi," I greeted gently, his gaze alone was enough to calm me down. Walking over to him, I didn't let him say anything before I wrapped my arms around him and didn 't let go. I need you. Resting my head on his shoulder I took in his cologne, comforted by the moment. You shouldn't have let me stay behind. "I love you," I whispered into his shirt, still not letting go, trying not to break down into tears again. I wished I could stay like this the rest of the night.

Washington D.C.
Jayden
Hearing the front door open to the apartment along with paws pounding against the floor, I knew Amelia just arrived home. Just by the texts she and I sent alone, I knew there was a slim chance she was ever stepping foot back in Texas, which sucked, because I wanted to move back someday. D.C. wasn't the place to raise a family and Amelia understood that. I also wanted Isabel and Amelia to have that future they wanted. The one where distance never existed again.

When I met Amelia's gaze, I smiled softly, opening my arms as she walked over towards me. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I held her close, kissing the top of her head, letting the silence take over the room. "I love you too, Amelia." I whispered, rubbing her back to offer some fort of comfort. "Let's watch something?" I asked, leading her to the room where I laid with her against my chest, running my hands through her hair, hoping to lull her to sleep. I wasn't sure what was in store for us but I knew Isabel and Amelia weren't at their best.

Four Months Later: Dallas, Texas
Isabel
Four months had passed since the day Mateo and I got to go home. Mateo was growing how he should. According to his doctor, he was the healthiest a four month baby could be. That was good to hear considering Mateo and I never had to have that special bonding moment. He never learned how to latch and drank nothing but formula. Amelia and I kept in touch but it wasn't like before. It was more just checking in than actually being concerned and I hated it. I tried my hardest to start a conversation, but once our usual FaceTime calls became non-existent, I knew what was happening. She was never going to come back to Dallas.

I left Mateo with Shelly because I was going to work today. When I walked into the Dallas Morning News, I wasn't expecting it to be the last time. I was let go today and after reassurance from my editor that it wasn't my fault, I didn't know what to say or do. I did, however, know who I wanted to talk to but she and I, we weren't on good speaking terms. Walking out of the magnificent office that was my start, my goal, I walked across the street to Main Street Park and sat on a bench, putting my face in my hands. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. You lost everything.

Making the drive home, I walked into the apartment, thankful Dawson wasn't home from work. All I could think to do was numb the pain right now, so I walked straight to the kitchen, grabbing my bottle of Riesling before I took off my heels, walking to the patio. Sitting outside, the warm air touching my skin, I took a swig straight from the bottle, looking out at the view from where I was sitting. The view wasn't as great as my previous apartment. I wanted to stay in downtown Dallas but Dawson and I agreed to move uptown. It was quieter here, full of people with more money than I would ever make in my lifetime. I didn't fit here but I couldn't ignore the fact that it was indeed the best part of the city to have Mateo in.

After drinking half of the bottle, I couldn't keep myself in control. I was in tears before I knew it, crying over the fact that I no longer had a job. I didn't have enough stories to even try getting a job at another company. Who would ever want a photographer who only made the front page one the entire time she was at the DMN? I wasn't in any way where I wanted to be right now. I always saw myself becoming well-known before I started freelancing. By now I thought Amelia and I would have a started planning the Straight Scoop. Right now, I didn't even have her in my life. Right now, I felt like a failure, a nobody. Nothing could pull me out of this mood and I tried shaking this mood away before Dawson came home but it wasn't possible. He wasn't going to know what to do with me. He's never seen me so broken before. I never thought I would be this broken again.

Walking back inside, I put the now empty wine bottle on the counter, sitting in the kitchen with another one in my hand while I sat against the cabinets. When I heard the front door unlock and open, I didn't move from where I was. I was glued to this spot. I was stuck in this mood. I was at another lowest of lows in my life. Looking up when Dawson walked into the kitchen, I smiled weakly, taking another sip from the bottle of wine before I released a fake giggle. "Hi." I said, accompanied with a bubbly laugh. I was drunk on wine which was always better than being drunk on hard liquor. "Give it back." I said, pulling the wine bottle closer to me when Dawson tried taking it away. It was my comfort. I needed it. Giggling, I began to ramble.

"I hate where I'm at right now. You shouldn't be here. You've never seen me like this and I never wanted you to. I got let go today, ya know. They made cuts in the staff to manage their money better so I got cut. I was told I'm still young and have my entire career ahead of me but ya know what? Who the hell would even hire me? I only made the front page one time out of the four years I was at the DMN. I can't freelance. I'm not big enough to do that. I suck. I always knew I would never make it as a photojournalist." Laughing sarcastically, I sighed and put my head back against the cabinet. "Ya know what else made today so shitty? Amelia's now eight months pregnant. Ya know who hasn't been included in shit? Me but I get it, I can't be upset. I knew the day she left when we took Mateo home, I knew she was never going to come back. I knew out friendship was going to grow apart and it sucks. We should've been so strong right now. I should be in D.C. with her, getting ready for the arrival of the baby. I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl." Scoffing, I sighed again. "I didn't even fight for her. I didn't stand up for her with you. I just acted like nothing happened but you know what? It fucking did, Dawson. It happened and I forgave you so quickly. Of course I did, I love you so much how could I not? Amelia's never going to come back to Dallas. Everything we ever dreamed of went to shit so yeah, you were right Dawson. What I wanted for my best friend and I wasn't realistic. Wanting our kids to grow up together, taking family vacations together, letting her host Thanksgiving while I hosted Christmas, the spontaneous trips across the world, the trips to Disney with the kids, and even The Straight Scoop. All of it was so fucking unrealistic. I lost her. I have nothing. I'm broken."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
Intuition told me the day I left Isabel at the hospital I needed to step away. I was too attached to her, it was childish of me to expect her to stand up to Dawson when they just had a son together. I realized that was my most embarrassing flaw, but I wanted her to make the effort to mend it. Typically, I was the one who rushed into alleviate tension because the thought of her being upset or angry at my expense gave me crippling anxiety so I forgave her, even when at times, I should have backed away to make her own up to her wrongs too. This was the first time I stuck to my guns, as bad as I wanted to apologize, I wanted to prove to everyone we were as close as I thought. I thought she would fight for me, but she didn't. She never tried to make much of a conversation, when I stopped making Facetime calls they became nonexistence and she never showed up to my door either. I often thought about her and if I was the one who forced the friendship and expected her to play her role perfectly. I wondered where everything went wrong and if I ever really meant anything to her or if I just filled a void when she was lonely.

The hardest part about our fallout was I was left to try and welcome motherhood on my own. It wasn't much of a joy, rather it just constantly gave me overwhelming anxiety. I was terrified. I never pictured myself to be a mother and Isabel was the only one who knew the real reason. I was too afraid of failing. I hated the unknown and I sure as hell knew nothing about how to bring another human being into the world. I hoped and expected that Isabel would be there to walk me through it. The last thing I wanted was to experience any of this without her and it broke my heart that I felt like I didn't have a choice. I felt like she didn't want to be a part of it so I didn't ask her to be.

With little time left to accept that I was about to be someone's mother, I tried everything I could to keep myself distracted. I was sure Jayden thought I had gone crazy, but I had to do something or I would fall victim to my thoughts and most of that time, it meant thinking about my daughter not having Isabel in her life.

As terrified as I was for baby girl's arrival, I was ready for her to find her way out. Carrying an almost full term baby was exhausting. Everything was uncomfortable and she had sent me to the ER a few times for laying so low and causing so much pressure against my pelvic bone. Today was no different. Groaning in displeasure I glared at Jayden across the table while the two of us tried to eat our lunch downtown. I was grumpy. I didn't know why he wanted to come here. It was JULY in D.C. meaning there was thousands of tourists here and it was unbearably hot and if another one of them tried to touch me I was going to scream. But I was trying to be nice, considering it was his birthday and this was his favorite spot.

"You want a baby for your birthday? Because you can have her."

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
Coming home from work the last thing I expected to see is what I ran into. A drunken Isabel cradling her second wine bottle on the floor. What in the hell is going on here? Hearing her giggle I knew she was already inebriated. Throwing my keys on the counter, I rubbed my face impatiently when I noticed our son was gone.

Moving in I tried to take the bottle but she resisted. "Enough, give it to me," I said taking it the second time. "Where's Mateo? Did you leave him with my mom?" I asked, but she ignored my concern for our son and started her predictable drunken ramble while I picked her up off the floor to lay her on the couch. To hear she got fired was a shock, I knew then why she was n this state, and I couldn't blame her because I would have probably done the same if it was me. But before I could reassure her she would find her next endeavor of success with time, her passive aggressiveness turned to me as she began to talk about Amelia. I was equally as shocked here because that wasn't something I heard her talk about in awhile nor did I know her true feelings about the situation because until she got drunk enough to lay it on me, she concealed it and I knew better than to press her.

Going to get her some water, I let her ramble, kissing her forehead when I came back, I put the cup in her hand gently. I knew the last four months without her best friend were hell for her but I also knew she was self inflicting herself with grief over it.

"Amor, you are not broken. You can find a new position. You're a hell of a photographer, and if you want Amelia back, then stop wallowing around day drinking and fight for her now if she means that much to you. You're making this harder on yourself than it needs to be."

Washington D.C.
Jayden
For the past four months, I did everything Amelia needed me to do. I knew she never thought she would go through this pregnancy without Isabel so I wanted to help her as best as I could during it. I knew the love of my life was terrified about what kind of mother she would become. I knew she wanted Isabel there to help her with it but it seemed as though after Amelia left, Isabel didn't want to intrude and never tried to make the effort. That killed Amelia because all she wanted was for the Texan to show her how much she meant to her. Amelia was doubting their friendship now and no matter how many texts I sent Isabel telling her Amelia missed her, nothing made a difference. I myself hadn't spoken to Dawson in about two weeks now. We kept in touch because the girls weren't but the text I received from him today wasn't one I was expecting.

Today was my birthday and all I wanted to do was eat lunch downtown with Amelia. I could tell she wasn't pleased with what I wanted, but she was grinning and bearing. I could tell the tourists and heat were annoying her, along with how many people came up and tried to rub her belly. It was breathtaking for me every time I thought about Amelia being pregnant with our child. Knowing we created another life that was growing inside of my fiancé always took my breath away.

Sitting outside at a table with Amelia is when I got the text from Dawson. He had told me happy birthday in the morning when I assumed he was going to work, but this text wasn't good news at all. Instead, it told me about Isabel being fired and now drowning herself in wine. That wasn't something anyone wanted to come home to. He also added how Isabel finally talked about Amelia, calling herself a fuck up for not even fighting for my fiancée. I knew the day ahead was going to be a rough one for Dawson and the hurt and concern on my face was evident, especially when I heard Amelia talk to me. I ignored what she had said at first, thinking about Isabel and what she must be feeling, wondering if was anything similar to when Amelia was let go at The Post. When Amelia asked who was texting me and if everything was okay, I just looked up with a smile and nodded, pocketing my phone once more. Don't tell her, Jayden. Isabel will tell her if she wants her to know.

"Everything's fine love. I would love a baby for my birthday. Just one more month, Amelia, and our baby girl will be here with us." I said with the brightest smile possible.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
"You're opinion on my photography is biased, Dawson. I'm not one hell of a photographer. What I do, anyone can do it." I knew going into this profession, there were going to be times in my life where I was let go. I knew that but that didn't mean actually being let go didn't hurt. That didn't mean it being fired didn't break my confidence the slightest. It did. This fucking hurt and I didn't want to think about it anymore. I didn't want to talk about it with Dawson because he didn't understand.

"I always make things harder than they need to be. What am I supposed to do? Show up in D.C.? She'd tell me to leave. I can't call her either. Not today at least. It's Jayden's birthday and I don't want to ruin whatever they're doing to celebrate it. I'll be fine. Just need to sleep on this." I said nonchalantly, shrugging my shoulders as I sat up and sipped the water Dawson had given me. When I finished, I set the glass on the table and sighed. "Mateo's with your mom. I dropped him off this morning before I went into work, only to get fired." Releasing a groan, I laid back on the couch and grabbed a pillow, putting it over my face to hide myself from the world. "I can't freelance. I'm not good enough for that. No one would buy my stuff. I could always go back to UNT and teach. I know Mayborn would be more than willing to let me do that. " Going to teach at UNT wasn't something I actually wanted, not right now at least. I knew I could always freelance but like always, I never thought I was good enough. Are you ever going to think you're good enough? That was a question I didn't think I could ever answer.

After laying in the living room in silence, I grabbed my phone and looked at Amelia's location, laughing softly when I realized she and Jayden were downtown in July surrounded by all the tourists. Amelia was eight months now which meant she was probably more than aggravated. I wonder if she's snapped at anyone yet. Thinking about Amelia put me in a good mood for a bit. I knew Jayden made her happy and now that we weren't talking much, I was relieved knowing I could trust the Northerner with her. Building up some courage that probably came from the wine, I sent Amelia a text. I knew she wouldn't have expected it and I didn't go into any details. It was just a simple message.

"Hi, Melia. I hope you're feeling alright. I know the last month of pregnancy is a struggle. I um, I really miss you... Do you think we can talk later? If not I completely understand. Hope Jayden's birthday celebration is going good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back