• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love: Draft Three

Amelia
Picking up my phone at the familar tone of the vibration, I sighed at Isabel's second text, quick to open up the thread to reply. She doesn't need this right now. As much as I wanted to surprise her with her baby shower in a few weeks, I knew right now, she needed to know I had something under control so she would calm down, at least a little.

"Those damn Thunder Birds! I hope your pilot gets to healing quickly. You need to breath though, love. More is ready than you think. It was going to be a surprise, but Mom and I planned your shower. I'll be flying to Dallas to steal ya on your next weekend off in two weeks to go home. Everyone important is coming and I already bought most of what you picked out with me. Mom got the rest. I'll take you to get a dress when I come. (Pink sparkling heart emoji). Jayden's ready for it to be over so he can have the hall closet back. (Laughing emoji). I promise the little stud will have everything he needs. (Heart eye emoji). Okay?"

Sending the text, I lifted my hand from Jayden's hand, kissing his cheeks before I kissed his lips lovingly, sighing at the the ringing of his work phone. "Jayden," I whispered kissing him again, brushing his forehead with my fingers. "You have to get up," I whispered moving to his neck, giggling when he finally lifted his head.

"The outside world needs you," I whispered, not wanting to wake Lincoln. It was almost midnight. I don't want you to go. I liked you where you were. I just wanted Jayden for the night, but I knew our fresh engament wasn't an excuse enough to stay behind. It's not fair. Before he could get up, I pulled him back towards me. "Don't leave yet," I pouted, pulling him into one last sweet kiss before he went back to reality. Biting my lip when he pulled away, I sighed to signal my displeasure that he had to leave me. "Be careful, I got Lincoln."

Last edited:
Isabel
When Amelia's messaged popped up on my screen again, I smiled gently, going straight to the thread so I could see what she said. I absolutely needed her right now and when I read that she and my mom already planned my shower, I couldn't stop the tears from falling down my cheeks. That meant so much to me in a time where I was spiraling because I didn't think I had everything together. I should've known Amelia and my mom were plotting something though.

"I should have known you and mom were planning something. I love y'all so much and I'm so grateful to have y'all. By chance, did you invite Dawson's family? They did offer to host the baby shower first and I just don't want things to get messy with his family... Tell Jayden I'm sorry for you overspending and will compensate him for taking over y'all's closet! I'm still slightly stressed but not so much. We haven't talked about living arrangements... I don't know, Amelia. This is a lot to think about so late in my pregnancy. (exhausted emoji)."

After hitting send, I looked up from my computer screen when I heard movement, noticing Dawson was awake from his slumber and watching me. "Hi love, are you in pain? I can call your nurse." I said softly, setting one hand on my stomach as I smiled at my pilot. "What's going through your head, Six?" I asked, enjoying the dim yet relaxing lighting the mood provided through the window. I put the blinds up because the lights from downtown brought me lots of comfort right now. I wanted the night to go well, not be one that would send me spiraling if Dawson was going to be awake. "Got any names in mind for our son?"

Jayden
Feeling Amelia kiss me is what brought me out of my slumber, and I released a groan so she knew how unpleasant going made me feel. Picking my head up, I smiled at my fiancée, kissing her lovingly before I pulled away to get ready. When my work phone rang again, I knew why she was waking me up. "Mm, I suppose they do. I should go get dressed." I said softly, kissing Amelia one last time so I could go change in the room. Chuckling, I took her hands in mine, kissing them gently. "I'll be safe. You text me if you need anything." Walking away, I went to change before coming back out, smiling at the look I received from Amelia. Grabbing my work phone, I kissed Amelia one last time, cupping the back of her neck in my hand. "Mm, when I come back home, be ready to be more than relaxed." With that, I kissed behind her ear, then left knowing she was hot and bothered.

Washington D.C.
Amelia
In attempt to help Jayden wake up, I rubbed his back gently, while he kissed me in return. Biting my lip to keep the groan from escaping my vocal cords, I watched him vanish to our room to change into his uniform and say goodbye to a sleeping Lincoln. While he was gone, I replied to Isabel. I was concerned for her, I knew how she harbored her stress when she got like this and I didn't want it to endanger her or my nephew. How had Dawson not arranged this yet? The thought irked me. This wasn't something Isabel needed to be worried about with her last trimester approaching. "Damn it, Dawson." I trusted you with her. You're making me regret it.

Before I could reply, Jayden reappeared in full uniform, wearing a smirk on his face. He put on the white one on purpose. Damn you. He knew the white uniform is the one that turned me on the most. "I hate you," I mumbled under my breath before he kissed me, leaving me searching for a breath You can't leave me like this. My cheeks turning hot when I heard what he said.

"Hurry home then." Smirking at him as he left, locking the door behind him, I went back to watching Dateline and finishing the last sip of my wine before I replied to my best friend. I was upset because I didn't want her to feel this way. I wanted her to be taken care of, but since that horrific night in Dallas I kept my distance from the Covingtons to her shower, but if it's what she wanted I would make it happen.

"Send me the addresses and I'll send the Covingtons their invites. Don't stress too much please, I'll handle as much as I can."

When Jayden came home I was going to ask him to have a talk with Dawson about his intentions before I let my anger get the best of me and i acted irrationally. I was not going to let Isabel be less than taken care of, but I wasn't going to express my frustration about her situation to her because it was the last thing she needed. She valued my opinion too much to not let it affect her mood. If I had to come to Texas before the shower I would, but I knew Isabel would be too stubborn to ask. I missed her and I hated myself for letting Dawson's family be the reason I hadn't been back since. I was ashamed to even show my face in Dallas, but my best friend came first. Despite knowing how stubborn she was, I asked anyway, hoping, for once, she would give in if she needed me,

"Do you want me to come to Dallas?"

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
The surging sting in my hands jolted me out of my medicated sleep but knowing Isabel was here, I withheld my noises of discomfort. When she looked up at me, I let go the breath I was using to keep my teeth clenched. I heard her ask me if I was in pain. Hell yes and I don't want to talk right now. Pressing the button for the nurse, I let go of the tension in my body, trying to catch a breath before I spoke.

"I haven't thought of any names, love, do you have any?" Compulsively I wanted to squirm from the pain but I resisted it, starting to sweat. It didn't feel like my pain was easing any and I was growing naturally impatient with it.

"What ones do you like? Do you want him to have a middle name?" I asked as a tease, considering she didn't have one herself.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
I should have known Amelia and my mother didn't send the Covington's their invitation to the shower. How could I expect them to when Dawson's entire family viewed Amelia as a distasteful woman when that was far from the truth. They were judging her and I couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand knowing they were the reason my best friend was staying away from Dallas. It hurt knowing the Covington's couldn't accept the only other important person in my life.

Smiling, I listened to Dawson when he responded to me. I shook my head when he asked if I thought of any names and when he teased me about giving our son a middle name, I rolled my eyes with a gentle laugh before I sighed. "Hm, let's brainstorm names?" I asked him softly, getting my laptop and making a note in my notepad. Before we started brainstorming, I shared the note with Dawson so even when we weren't together, we could think until we found the right one. "And yes, I would like for our son to have a middle name. Do you mind if it's a Hispanic name? I would really like his middle name to be Mateo." I told Dawson gently, looking over at the nurse who came in to help soothe Dawson's pain. I couldn't even imagine the pain he was in right now and I only wished I could take it all away.

Looking at mine and Amelia's thread, I responded to her while the nurse tended to Dawson.

"I would love it if you would come to Dallas. I really miss you." I told her before I sent yet another text. "I wish everything wasn't so stressful. I wish Dawson and I discussed all the details sooner... I really don't want to have two of everything because Dawson and I aren't living together, you know? I don't know what to do, Amelia but please, I'll work everything out. Just focus on the shower and coming to see me, please?"

Thanking the nurse, I stood up and walked to Dawson's bed side when she walked out. I ran my hand through his hair before I let out a deep sigh. "I love you, Dawson Nicholas Covington. You mean the absolute world to me and I'm so glad you didn't get a worse injury." I said softly, brushing his hair out of his face, kissing his forehead softly. "I don't know what I did to deserve you."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
Getting Isabel's return text I was shocked how quickly she accepted my invitation. She must really need me. Sighing, I got up from the couch, turning the TV in the living room off, putting Dallas in his puppy cage for the night so e wouldn't destroy anything while I was asleep. Putting the wine glasses in the sink I replied over the sink before I trotted off to bed to curl up with Lincoln on Jayden's side of the bed. Since he wasn't here I was going to take advantage of the little boy who stole my heart.

"I'll talk to Jayden in the morning and see when I can come your way. I promise it won't be long. Do you need anything else?"

Quietly walking into the room I let Jade follow at my heels to take her usual place at the foot of the bed. Seeing Lincoln peacefully asleep curled up in the comforter on Jayden's pillow, I smiled, it was a heartwarming sight. Leaning over him, I kissed his forehead before I gently laid beside him, rubbing his back the same way I did Jayden while I watched him sleep until fell asleep myself.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
"I'm the one who doesn't deserve you. You don't have to stay here, I know it's uncomfortable and I'd rather you sleep. You need it." I really wished she would go home, that's why I called Brett instead of her. Though I was glad she was here, I didn't want to cause her discomfort. I also didn't want her to see just how much pain I was in.

"I'm sorry about date night. I'll make it up to you, I promise." I'll make everything up to you soon. I know we're running out of time. I should be a better provider. "Go home and get some rest, I'll be here in the morning for you to come back to. Bring breakfast?"

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
"No, just you. Maybe bring Jayden and Lincoln with you? Get some sleep though. I love you (black heart emoji)."

Looking down at my phone after sending the text, I smiled gently before I looked back up at Dawson, putting my phone in my side pocket. I don't want to leave you. Shaking my head, I continued to run my hands through his hair before I released a sigh, meeting his gaze with my own dark brown eyes. His hazel eyes were absolutely captivating and I would always love them. Looking at them always made my heart skip a beat.

"I'd rather stay here with you than go back home, Amor." Unless you don't want me here. I could be suffocating you. Oh my god I hope I'm not. Gosh, Anes. "Don't even worry about date night, I know you'll make it up to me. I'm just glad nothing more happened. I'll go out and get us breakfast in the morning when I wake up but I'm staying."

Hearing him release a sigh is what made my heart drop. He doesn't want you here. Just leave, dammit. Biting my lip, I tried fighting back my tears before I pulled away. "I'll um, I'll just go home. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything through the night, okay?" I told him gently, kissing his cheek before grabbing my bag in a rush to leave. I left my laptop open, showing apartment options that I had been looking at on the recliner, not realizing I did. I just wanted to get out of the room that seemed to be suffocating me, causing me to spiral.

Once I was home, I threw my bag on the couch, kicking off my shoes before I walked to my room, smiling when Apollo jumped up on the bed to join me. I fell asleep with my Maltipoo curled into a ball on Dawson's side, me lying on my side as I rubbed my stomach, thinking of names to soothe me into sleep. I wish everything wasn't how it was. I wish everything was planned out. I wish I wasn't suffocating Dawson. How did I mess up? We were fine this morning...

Amelia

In the morning, when Jayden woke me the same way I woke him the night before, I pushed him away playfully, not wanting to wake Lincoln. Looking at the clock it was only 7 a.m. When he went for my neck and whispered for me to be quiet while he picked me up and carried me out of the room I knew right where the morning was going. Geez, I don't even get a hello? I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to tease him.

"What? You think because you put a ring on my finger you can have me whenever you want?" That's why he wore the white uniform, don't play dumb, Amelia. Ahhh, the white uniform, he knew i could never say no.

I left for Texas two days later, the same day Lincoln flew back to his Aunt Tory in Chicago, I decided since Isabel's baby shower was in three weeks, I would just stay the whole time rather than just flying back and forth. After talking to her mom after adding the other half of the family, we all agreed to push it back a week to make up for the extra people.

It was a productive three weeks. Jayden talked some damn sense into Dawson and he bought a small house for the two of them to call home until they got married and bought a bigger house to call home. I knew Dawson was planning to propose, he just didn't want her to think it was because they were having a baby together. I respected him for that, but I still wished he didn't wait so long to gove her a home to nest in. I did my best to ease her restlessness, helped her finish the registry and started on baby boy's nursery. The two of us trying to put a crib together was a sight to see, that was for sure. I wasn't too worried about baby's room, I knew after the shower everything would come together. I was just happy to help. It put me more at ease to see my best friend start to relax and become excited over her son's fast approaching arrival.

The three weeks I got to spend with my best friend made up for all the time we spent apart during her pregnancy and my relationship with Jayden. But today was her shower day and I was upset to know our time together was coming to an end. I was flying home the next morning. I knew Jayden missed me and I hated that he spent so much time alone, but I loved him eternally for giving me this time with my Texas family.

I wasn't too worried about today because Isabel's mom and I planned it pretty meticulously. Everything looked how we envisioned it, as over the top as it was, and Isabel was happy to see everyone coming together for her. Seeing her greet everyone while I finished a few last minute things, laughing at her mom taking pictures of me running around like an insane woman, I didn't feel my nerves until I saw the Covingtons start to roll in. Part of me wished they wouldn't show, but I knew that was wrong of me. If anything, I should have been touched that they came to show their love to Dawson's son but I was still worried they would say something about what happened that night in Dallas. From what I knew they were incredibly notorious for holding a grudge. I really didn't want that to be the reason my best friend couldn't have her one day to be excited about becoming a mother without her stress. Plus, I had something to give her that I hadn't originally planned. I hoped she was okay with it.

To my relief, the party was a success and the Covington's were being civil, even thanking me for everything I put into this. I was confused as to why they thought I wouldn't go all out for Isabel. Oh right, because I'm a distasteful woman who can't hold liquor she was force-fed . When the time came for gifts I did my duty of placing all her gifts in front of her, I laughed when she made me pick which ones for her to open. I handed her a few for bait, wanting to catch her off guard, before I gave her the one I wanted her to open. Handing it to her I sat next to her, folding my dress underneath me. "You have to read the tag on his one first!" I exclaimed grabbing her hand before she could eagerly open what was inside. "What does it say?" I asked her in fake curiosity.

The tag read:

To: Baby Covington

Inside was a frame to put a future picture with "Cousins" engraved on it with a note taped to the back.

"Hi cousin!

I hope we can be best friends just like our mommies are! I can't wait to meet you! See you in August.:closed eyes open smile:"

I hadn't told the news yet, but it only seemed right to tell Isabel first she did the same for me.

Last edited:
Dallas, Texas
Isabel
I was so thrilled with how well the baby shower was going. I couldn't have asked for anything better and as I sat there, opening everyone's gifts, I knew deep down in my heart that my son was going to be loved by so many people. The amount of love in the room was enough to take my breath away, but nothing took my breath away more than opening the next present Amelia handed me.

I looked at the tag, reading it to myself like Amelia told me to. What I saw made my heart drop and I couldn't contain the emotions I felt inside from coming out. She's pregnant. Amelia's pregnant. Gasping to catch my breath, I looked over at Amelia with tears running down my face. I didn't even bother reading out what the tag said. "You're pregnant?" I asked her with a cracking voice, quick to pull her into a hug as I tried to wipe my tears. Getting this news was the best present I could have asked for, not only for me but for my son as well. He wasn't going to grow up alone now that he had his cousin as well.

After opening the rest of the presents, I said goodbye to the people that were leaving. I made my way over to Amelia quickly, pulling her into yet another tight hug. "I really can't believe you're pregnant! Does Jayden know? Are we planning a way to tell him because I already have some ideas." I rambled quickly, squealing it excitement before I felt a twinge of pain from my back. I groaned when I did, reassuring my mother who was quick to come to my aid that I was going to be alright.

This day, the entire shower was amazing, and I stayed behind to help my mother and Amelia help clean everything. I ignored their banter as they tried to get me to go home. I refused to leave back to my apartment knowing this place needed to be cleaned. When I heard the door open, I glanced over and smiled at Jayden and Dawson walking in. I knew mom had called them to help take all the gifts to my apartment. I gave Dawson a gentle kiss, smiling when he placed his hand on my stomach. "Okay, now, let's load up all of this into the car."

I let the men handle the gifts, walking over to Amelia. "So, thank you for this, all of it. I'm really glad with how everything turned out. Let's go to dinner tonight? I want to celebrate. Mom and dad can watch Lincoln for us. Let's do a double date." I practically begged Amelia for this. I really needed some time out with Dawson and Amelia, so a date night for all of us sounded perfect.

Amelia
I knew telling Isabel my unexpected news in such a large public setting was a risk when I had yet to tell Jayden. But the truth was I was afraid to tell Jayden. Not because I was concerned he wouldn't want the baby. I knew despite him comforting and reassuring me about the impossibility of our own children was okay, I knew he wanted children. He missed the first eight years of Lincoln's life and he regretted it. He felt like he missed out on most of the important firsts in his son's life and he wanted another chance to experience fatherhood. He wanted Lincoln to have siblings, but he accepted that I could not give him the one thing he craved because he loved me. When I found out, I cried because the guilt I felt for failing Jayden was let go. The best thing about it was we weren't trying, so when I told him I knew he would be head over heels about the news. But I was still afraid to tell him because I didn't want to get his hopes up about the possibility if something were to happen early on. I was afraid of another miscarriage. I didn't want him to go through that agonizing grief after he watched me go through it the first time and he himself thinking the same of Lincoln until he walked back into Jayden's life.

I had to tell Isabel though. I didn't want to go through this alone, no matter what happened, I could depend on my best friend. Seeing her reaction I let myself feel excited for the first time. This is real. This is happening. Accepting her hug, I held her while she succumbed to her shock. "Don't cry! You'll make me cry!" I said into her shoulder, smiling when she let me go, wiping the threatening tears from my eyes. It was a special moment. One I was relieved we could experience together in person and not through a phone screen.

At the end of the shower when she made her way back over to me to hug me, I gave in a second time. "Shhh!" I exclaimed nervously, it was still weird for me to hear. You're pregnant. "I I um, haven't told Jayden. I don't want to yet," I whispered while I helped clean everything up. "You're the only one who knows, well you and all the people who were here I guess, but I don't want Jayden to know, please," I whispered again, giving her my hand when she groaned in pain.

When I heard the door open and I saw Dawson walk in, I smiled at him, but my expression quickly changed when I saw Jayden walk in behind him. When we made eye contact, his smile was instant, but now I was nervous. I didn't want anyone to slip to him what they knew.

"What are you doing here?" I asked gently, trying to hide my nerves from his unexpected appearance. "You couldn't wait until the morning to see me?" I teased, giving him a hug before I let him go help Dawson pack the cars with Baby Convington's things. Looking over to Isabel I rolled my eyes when she thanked me for the day.

"Stop it, it was my pleasure. I missed Mom," I teased before biting my lip at her request. Lincoln's here too. Yikes. I definitely didn't want to tell Lincoln yet. Suddenly I was overcome with stress. I didn't have a choice, I had to tell Jayden our news before he found out from Dawson. Damn it.

Coming out of heavy thought I nodded at Isabel. "Yeah, we can go. Where do you want to eat?" I asked while I helped carry things out to my car, now that Dawson's truck was full. When Jayden came up behind me and picked me up in his arms, I gasped out of instinctual panic. At my panicked yelp he set me right back to my feet. "Don't touch me!" I wished I could have taken it back as soon as I said it, but I was just being over-protective.

Turning to face him I hugged him before apologizing. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. You just scared me. You know I scare easy."

Isabel
I knew with how Amelia tensed at the sight of Jayden and Lincoln, she began to stress over the announcement she just made. I was quick to tell my mom and sister not to say a word about Amelia being pregnant. They agreed and continued to clean up the hall where everything took place.

I wasn't sure where I wanted to go eat dinner with Amelia and Jayden but I knew Dawson would help brainstorm some places when I told him we were going to grab dinner with our other friends. Smiling excitedly, I nodded. "I'm not sure where to eat but I'll ask Dawson, or we can talk about it at the apartment when we leave." I suggested, going over to Dawson so that I could continue helping him put everything in his truck. Once it was full, I put some of the items in my car and Amelia's.

When I heard Amelia tell Jayden to put her down, everyone fell silent and looked at her and Jayden. I bit my lip and felt horrible that she was this stressed so I cleared my throat and got everyone to help finish up. "Hey Linc, come help me out in the hall, okay?" I asked him and smiled when he followed, happy to help us sweep and clean the tables.

Jayden
I laughed softly when I heard Amelia ask if I couldn't wait to see her until tomorrow. Truth be told, I had a surprise for her. We weren't going home tomorrow but she didn't know about that until we were in the airport, going to 'D.C.'. "Mm, you're right. I couldn't wait until tomorrow and Linc couldn't wait until the next break." I said with a laugh, kissing her gently before I pulled away and began helping Dawson load up the gifts into the truck.

When I saw Amelia come outside, I let her put what she was carrying in her arms before I moved behind her and picked her up with a chuckle. I became worried though when I heard her yell for me to not touch her. Something was wrong. She never usually cared if I did this. If anything, she always went into a giggling fit that was music to my ears. Setting her down, I just stared at her as everything fell silent. When everyone else left, I kicked the rocks under my shoe before sighing.

When she hugged me, I simply nodded, pulling away so I could look at her. "Yeah, yeah you're right. Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. It's okay."

I walked back inside after, helping Dawson load up the last few things before we all agreed to meet at Isabel's apartment. Kissing Amelia's forehead, I smiled gently at her. "Linc wants to go with you, is that alright? I'll meet y'all at the apartment."

Amelia
I felt horrible for my reaction but it was automatic. Great now there's an awkward tension. Sighing, I watched Jayden walk back inside to help Dawson. Today was going so well. Just breathe, Amelia. When everything was packed and we all agreed to meet at Isabel's I rested an arm on Jayden's when he kissed my forehead to further my apology. Nodding in agreement, I let him go.

"He can come with us," I said before he ran over and I gave him a tight hug, picking him up in my arms, kissing his face all over to embarrass him. "I missed you!" I exclaimed through his laughs before I set him back to his feet to get into the car. When he asked if we could stop to get cake pops I agreed without any hesitation. I didn't know what Jayden was going to do for his dinner, but, I was going to bend him of his rules a little tonight.

When we all arrived back at the apartment I smiled when the men walked in. "Good, you're here, now one of y'all can be decisive and tell us where we're going to eat," I said in an exaggerated yawn before Apollo made himself comfortable in my lap where I pet him gently, trying to stay awake while we discussed our dinner options. As usual, I could care less, just waiting for a decision to be made.

Isabel
Amelia and I agreed to let Jayden and Dawson decide where we go for dinner tonight. I was looking forward to the double date with some of the most important people in my life but I couldn't wait to sleep. My son had been giving me the hardest time lately by constantly moving around and kicking my stomach. At night, I could hardly sleep because of how much pain he put me in. Last night, if it wasn't for Dawson's back rub, I don't think I could have relaxed enough to finally sleep.

"Yeah, Amelia and I decided that we will let you guys pick where to go tonight. I don't really care where we go." I said after Amelia, walking to the kitchen so I could grab my detox water out of the fridge to drink. Sipping on it, I walked back to the living room where everyone was, smiling as Linc made himself comfortable on the floor while he watched videos on my iPad. I wasn't sure if we needed to feed Lincoln before we left but I knew my parents would more likely take him out for dinner and a movie. They always did and I knew Lincoln would enjoy that.

Sitting next to Amelia on the couch, I smiled softly before I put my head back, closing my eyes to try and relax while the men discussed places to go. Before I knew where they picked, I felt completely relaxed. I eventually laid out on the couch, deciding to take a nap since there was still enough time before we left for dinner.

When I woke up, I found myself in my room. Yawning, I slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. Smiling when Dawson walked in, I grabbed my phone to check and see if there was anything important I missed at work. "Did y'all decide on a restaurant?" I asked him softly, yawning once again. "Did mom and dad come to get Lincoln? I didn't even hear my phone ring when mom called me." I noticed my mother texted me telling me she and my dad were on the way for Lincoln and I assumed when I didn't respond is when she called me three times. “Has your family said anything about the baby shower? Did they hate it? I know your mom and sister didn’t, which is all that matters but I can’t help and wonder why everyone else dislikes me so much.”

Last edited:
Dawson
Before Jayden and I could make a decision on where to take the ladies to dinner, they were both sprawled out on their separate ends of the couch, curled into the blankets they left out here the night before. After seeing how uncomfortable Isabel was getting at night, I didn’t want to disturb her. She needed her rest and she barely let go to let herself have it. Hoping she would sleep for awhile, I picked her up gently and carried her to her room before I tucked her to bed, breathing a sigh of relief when she didn’t wake. Kissing her forward, I rested a gentle hand on her belly. “Let your momma sleep, son,” I whispered walking out of the room to let my love sleep peacefully.

While the girls slept Jayden and I decided to order in, we decided on wings because the girls couldn’t say no, it was a safe option. While we waited for our food, Jayden held Amelia in his lap on the couch, watching a movie that was on tv. I was starting to get sucked in myself when I got a text message from my sister after I asked her about the baby shower and was shocked by her reply.

“It was cute! Amelia did a cute job! I’m sure she’ll do a great job at her own shower with her own little one on the way. I’m sure Isabel’s excited. Her reaction was precious.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked perplexed looking over to Jayden and biting my lip, I made an excuse to go to Isabel’s and I’s room when my sister told me Amelia was pregnant.

Luckily, I didn’t have to wake Isabel, because she was already awake. I didn’t know how to ask her what I wanted to because I didn’t want Jayden to hear, in case he didn’t know, so I just said it.

“Amelia’s pregnant?” I whispered faintly in my own disbelief. I needed to know this wasn’t another dramatic antic from my family. “Is this a joke?”

Last edited:
Isabel
Hearing what Dawson asked me, as quietly as he possibly could, is what forced me completely out of my sleep. I wasn’t sure who told him but then I remembered how I reacted at the shower. Anyone who was there now knew Amelia was pregnant which meant Dawson’s family knew as well. I really hope no one mentions this to Josie. Looking through the door, I made sure Jayden wasn’t anywhere he could hear my response. Amelia wanted to be the one to tell him and we had to respect that.

“Yes, she is but shh. She wants to tell Jayden herself so please tell your family not to say anything?” I said in a whisper, smiling when I saw Dawson’s happy expression. I knew it was because he was happy for Jayden and Amelia. Jayden always wanted more children and now that Amelia was pregnant, we all knew he would be over the moon once he knew. “And I am ready for our son to be out of my stomach. This nap was the longest I’ve been able to sleep in awhile. Have you picked your name idea yet?” I knew it may have seemed like I was pushing for a name but that’s because I was still internally spiraling here and there. I let Dawson decide where we moved because he wanted to take that on, and I trusted him enough to trust his decision but he hadn’t mentioned anything about it which worried me. We also didn’t haven’t picked a name, which was also important and then there was the DMN and what I was going to do when my son was born. As much as I wanted to stay at the DMN, I knew freelancing was an option.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I took Dawson’s hands in my own, giving them a squeeze. It was my sign to him that I was spiraling internally. After a panic scare with this stress, I agreed to tell him whenever I fell victim to my thoughts, even if I never really wanted to talk about it. When he mentioned wings for dinner, my mouth watered and my stomach growled. “Wings sound amazing. Did y’all get them from Wing Stop?” I could only hope they did and when I heard my phone go off, I reached over to grab it, reading the email from my editors. Another local assignment... Lovely.

Dawson
At the confirmation of the news I wanted to bust out of the bedroom and go congratulate my friend because I knew what this would mean to him, but I kept my excitement contained because it was Amelia's right to tell Jayden the news.

"I'll do my best to keep the secret, but you know they have big mouths. She didn't tell him first?" I asked confused as to why she wouldn't. She had nothing to be afraid of, Jayden was the biggest softy, his love for Amelia had no bounds, so bringing a child of their own only made sense. Does she not want a family? They already have Linc though so that doesn't make sense. Pushing my curiosity about Amelia's secrecy aside, I grinned when the subject turned to my own son.

"He'll come when he's ready, amor and he'll have his perfect name. We can't just call him baby for the rest of his life," I teased. "We'll have to find a name that matches his middle name. When she asked for our son to have a name tied to her Hispanic heritage I agreed. I thought it was important for our son to know and be proud of where he came from. I wasn't going to deny him half of his heritage,

"I haven't really settled on a name because I'd have to meet him to know if it fits. We have a few options to choose from though." Hugging Isabel I laughed at her questioning where I ordered dinner. "Yes of course. Where else would I think to order from? It should be here soon."

DFW International Airport
Jayden
I was glad Amelia was able to enjoy her time in Texas with Isabel. They both needed it and deserved to be together considering how long they went being apart. The next morning, after the girls said their goodbyes, I drove Amelia, Lincoln and I to the airport. When we arrived, I helped Lincoln check his baggage before I did the same with Amelia. She didn't know where our plane was going, and she wouldn't know until I gave her the airplane ticket. Smiling brightly at my world, I got the tickets after we were checked-in and walked over to them. "Here you go." I said, handing the both of them their ticket stubs. The city on them was not D.C., in fact, they all said Chicago. When Amelia looked at me confused, I smiled brightly. "I hope you don't mind the change of plans. I would love to show you around Chicago while I have the time off." I told her gently, taking her hand in mine as we walked to our gate. Thankfully we didn't have to go to a different terminal.

"Do y'all want to get some Whataburger before we leave Texas? It's going to be awhile until we can have it again."

The Covington Home, Dallas TX
After Amelia left with Lincoln and Jayden, I decided to stay up despite how early it was. I thankfully wasn't expected to go in today, only because it was a sorting and culling day from the assignment I did last week. Going to the kitchen, I made my cup of Earl Grey, smiling as I read one of the many newspapers I was subscribed to on my iPad.

Looking through the stories, I sat out on the patio, enjoying the cool day that was given to us. I already missed Amelia and wished she didn't have to go but I knew she had to. Switching from local news, I went more national and global, captivated by the stories. Hearing one of the wooden planks creak, I looked back and smiled gently at the only man I loved, dressed in his uniform. "Morning, Amor." I said gently, "Be safe at work today, please?" Leaning up, I kissed him lovingly, smiling when he placed his hand against my belly. Our son was quick to kick against it which caused me to giggle. "I have an appointment today, just a check up. If you can't make it it's okay."

(Y'all avoid this airport at all costs).
Amelia
As always, leaving Texas wasn't easy. I hated leaving my best friend behind, I cried every time. I was especially melancholy about having to leave because I knew with Isabel unable to fly, I more than likely wouldn't see her again until her baby boy was born. The thought made my heart flutter. The next time I saw Isabel she was going to be somebody's mother. Before I left, I of course, teased her about the baby becoming her new best friend, but I was excited to meet him. Part of me wished he would hurry up and decide he was ready so I could meet him, but I knew the longer he waited, the healthier he would be, and with my sister, Brooke being a pediatric nurse, I knew first-borns were notorious for being late.

Trying to keep myself from crying at the thought of leaving Bel behind, I took Lincoln's hand while Jayden printed our boarding passes. When he handed me mine and it matched Lincoln's destination I was confused. I thought we were going home. When Jayden explained I just smiled, kissing his cheek.

"I don't mind at all, but I didn't pack for this and I bet it's cold." Giving him my other free hand the three of us walked to our gate, Lincoln ecstatic that we were going home with him.

Laughing at Jayden's question I shook my head "That's rookie mistake number one.Your last meal in Texas shouldn't be Whataburger. Isabel did that to me once. It was cruel." (*Whispers in Hamilton's voice*: That's true) But Buenos Noches, cockroaches forever.)

Biting my lip, I looked up to Jayden, still holding his hand and Lincoln's. "I want pancakes." I knew Lincoln wouldn't care because he ate them all the time, but I was never really a fan of breakfast foods but I was in a breakfast mood.
Dallas, Texas
Dawson
When I woke in the morning I knew our guests departed because of how quiet it was. Like Isabel, part of me wished our friends didn't have to go home, but I knew they would have to go back to their routine eventually, Today, I wasn't too thrilled to go back to mine. It was my first day back on the base since my injury and I was nervous to return. Getting dressed I shook off my nerves and walked out into the living room to find Isabel. Admiring her from a distance, I chuckled to myself at the sight of boxes and gift bags all over the living room. It was setting in that our son was coming. I can't wait to meet you, son.

Greeting Isabel with a morning kiss I brought my hand to her belly to say a good morning to our son too. It was part of our routine. Feeling him kick against my hand, I laughed to match Isabel's. "He's already stronger than Brett." Pouring my coffee into a travel mug, I looked over to Isabel, glaring at her for thinking I would let her go to her appointment by herself.

"I'll be there. What time?"

Last edited:
(Don't listen to her. I love this airport.)
Jayden
"You want breakfast? That's not something I hear everyday but I'm not opposed to it. Let's eat breakfast. I believe there's an iHop (refuse to call it iHob.) here." Taking Amelia's hand in my own again, I led her to the shuttle that would take us to terminal E where the IHOP was located. I laughed softly when Lincoln became excited by simply riding the shuttle. "Are you enjoying this, Linc?" I asked as every part of the airport went by in a flash due to how fast the shuttle was going.

"I'm excited because you and mommy are going to Chicago with me!" I heard Lincoln say with nothing but joy. It was precious that he was so excited for us to go with him. I knew he wanted to show Amelia around Chicago just as much as I did.

"I'm excited too, Linc. Maybe we can go see grandpa?" I asked, not saying we would because I would only go if Amelia wasn't uncomfortable with the idea.

When we got to the terminal we needed, I made sure Amelia and Linc got out before I did. Meeting them, I smiled as I took Amelia's hand and Linc took mine. "Alright, let's find this IHOP." Walking around the terminal, I led the two toward the IHOP, walking inside once we found it to grab a booth. Sitting down, I thanked the waitress who brought us our menus and asked for our drink order. I ordered a coffee and let Lincoln order chocolate milk. That was his favorite drink and the only way he would ever drink milk.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
Smiling at Dawson, I should have known better than to think he wouldn't show up to my appointment. He hadn't missed a single one. Even when he was out of town for a show he was there via FaceTime. It was comforting having him there. It helped reassure me that I wasn't in this alone and I never would be.

"Why are you so mean to Brett? What did he ever do to you?" I asked him while shaking my head, sighing a bit dramatic before I laughed, looking up at him and smiled. "It's at one. I'll meet you there then. Be safe? If your hands start hurting, please don't get in the plane to fly. Promise me. Take it easy." I didn't want Dawson to over work himself on his first day back. He just finished recovering from the burns on his hands. According to the doctor, his hands healed nicely which was refreshing to hear. I was more than thankful my pilot was no longer in excruciating pain.

"Te amo." I said to Dawson before he left, kissing him lovingly before he left for work. When he did, I continued to read the news, sitting out on the patio on such a cool day. The slight breeze was wonderful and the buzzing of life from the city was always the perfect white noise to have when I was working.

(She's crazy. You can't trust people who put ice in their milk & text you when you're in the same room.)
Amelia
Delighted Jayden agreed to my request I kept a grip on his hand. "Yeah, I know but it sounds pleasing, plus it's Linc's favorite," I said in a giggle at our son's insistent nod. His evident excitement to get to spend more time with us just made me wish we didn't have to leave him behind. It was only becoming more of heartbreak each time. He's going to have a sibling and I don't want him to feel left out. He's part of this family too. The thought of Lincoln not being in his sibling's everyday life, broke my heart as a mother to both of them. I wanted the baby to have their older brother who I knew was going to adore his baby brother or sister once he knew he had one on the way. It made me upset but I had to keep it to myself. I wasn't ready to tell my boys yet.

Enjoying my breakfast with them, I let Lincoln draw something for me as usual and was pleasantly surprised when Jayden decided to join in. His artistic talent was nothing less of remarkable and I hated that I rarely watched it come alive in the almost three years I knew him. Watching the two of them I wondered how a fourth family member would fit into our equation, but I tried not to daydream about it too much. I didn't want to get my hopes up just yet.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
"The better question is what didn't Brett do to me growing up? Every bone I've ever broken is because of him. Our son better not be as rough with his cousin as Brett was to me." Putting the lid on my coffee mug, I took a mental note of Isabel's appointment. Laughing at Isabel telling me to take things easy, because ironically she needed to be doing the same thing but I knew better to think when I came home tonight the living room that looked like a baby's Christmas occured would be the same way I left it.

"You should take your own advice. I'm sure our son would appreciate a rest day. Don't you dare lift any of those boxes or you can forget about going to the theater this weekend!"

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
"You can't threaten not to take me to the theater this weekend! That's just mean! I've wanted to see Phantom for awhile now." I pouted as I looked at my boyfriend, giggling when he showered me in kisses. I couldn't take my own advice because I most definitely wanted to fix what looked as if a tornado hit our living room. Teenage me wouldn't have cared much but after spending years of being clean and organized, the slightest change in any room threw me off. "Now go, you're going to be late for work. I'll see you at the appointment." I said, pushing him out of the front door, giving him one last kiss before I shut it, smiling brightly before I rested my back against it, building up the energy to tackle the living room situation.

February 14, Dallas, Texas
Isabel
Today wasn't like any normal day for Dawson and I. Today just so happened to be Valentine's Day. I was now nine months, one week away from my due date. I couldn't tell you how grateful I was for that because my son had been giving me even more problems. He was always moving around, not allowing me to sleep even more than before. Dawson could see the toll this last week was on me and he did everything he possibly could to make it co by smoother. Coming home to warm baths and home cooked food was something I could get used to. It was refreshing and I loved it. Today however, we agreed to go out for Valentine's Day, despite me looking like a watermelon.

I went to work but only stayed as long as I could. My editor understood considering I was so close to my due date and once I made it home, I released a deep breath before I threw myself on the couch, groaning from the amount of pain Mateo was putting me in. Something about this pain felt off but I didn't think much of it, that was until the sharp pains were closer to one another. I was told not to go to the hospital unless they were seven minutes or less apart so I didn't bother to text Dawson.

After attempting to nap was a fail, I slowly stood up, groaning in pain once again. The pain was becoming unbearable, making me reach the point of crying. I didn't want to call Dawson but I knew at this point I needed to. Right when I clicked his name, I felt one sharp pain before I looked at the ground and gasped. My water broke. Shit. Quickly calling Dawson, I felt the contractions become closer together. When he answered, I was in the middle of one.

"Fuck." I said right when Dawson answered, groaning and trying not to cry. As you will learn, I do not have the highest tolerance for pain so these contractions were killing me. "Dawson, Dawson I know we had plans tonight but your son wants to interrupt them. My water just broke and my contractions are really-" I couldn't even finish my sentence before I felt yet another one kick in, almost bringing me to tears. "Dawson, he's coming. I can't drive right now." I said in shallowed breaths, sitting on the couch, putting Dawson on speaker before I began to take deep breaths. I needed to calm down but couldn't find it in me to do so. Is Brett in town? I need someone. I can't do this alone. I wish Amelia was here.

The minutes went by agonizingly slow until Dawson arrived, careful to help me up and to the car. We couldn't get to the hospital fast enough in my opinion, but when we did, the nurses working were quick to get me in a wheelchair, taking me to a room that would be mine until after our son was born. Now in a hospital gown, the contractions subsided after I was given a dosage of pain reliever. They were giving me some time to decide if I wanted an epidural or not but I knew damn well I wanted one. I wasn't going to do this without one. "I want the damn epidural, Dawson." I told him in between my shuttered breaths, laying in the bed as I tried to relax. I just want to sleep. I wanted to sleep but knew that wasn't possible. "Please. I can't handle this pain." I basically cried to Dawson over this pain. I knew Mateo was going to give me a hard time and drag out this labor for as long as he could. I just felt it in my gut.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
The thought of my son being here in a week was beyond nerve-wracking. As his parents, we did our best to prepare for his arrival. Everything was set and ready for him to come, the past few weeks had just been the worst waiting game. I hated it. I was naturally impatient so the idea that I was at my unborn son's will didn't sit well with me. This was especially so because I was the primary witness to what he was putting his mother through in the final weeks of her pregnancy. Her constant discomfort was foreign to me as she naturally prepared to birth our son. He was outgrowing his mother and it was obvious she just wanted him to come. I had never seen my love in so much pain, it made me feel helpless. I knew there wasn't much I could do to ease an anxious mother's pain, but little did I know it was about to get a lot worse.

Isabel and the baby were constantly on my mind. I hated leaving her, in fear that if I did, something would happen and I wouldn't be able to get to her in time. But on this particular morning, I had no choice but to go into work. When I left in the early morning, I promised her I wouldn't be long and when she told me not to rush because she needed to finish some things at her desk at work, I gawked in displeasure. Even at nine months pregnant she couldn't stay away from the newsroom to save her life. I reluctantly agreed, knowing even if I told her to stay home she would sneak out and try to beat me home so I wouldn't know where she'd been.

"Okay, please be careful and call me if you need me." I didn't know walking out of the house when i came back it would be the last time we left our home as just the two of us.

I answered her call on the first ring. Usually, I didn't have my phone with me at work but this was the call I didn't want to miss. The second I answered I felt my heart beat into my throat from nerves. I could hear the pain and distress in Isabel's voice. I knew this had to be it. Our son was coming. Running off the tarmac and for my keys, I tried to talk her through it on the phone while I struggled to gather my own thoughts to make it to her in her time of need.

"Amor, you need to breathe for me, please." I kept my voice calm while I frantically opened the desk drawer for my truck keys and ran out the door. He's coming.

"I'm coming for you right now, Talk to me." Throughout the panicked drive I could tell things were progressing faster than either one of us anticipated and it made me wonder how long she was laboring for before she called me. Making it home in less than twenty minutes I ran inside and tried to pick her up in my arms, but she was already in so much pain that she didn't want to move.

"We have to go, love." Picking her up I held her to my chest, carrying her to the car, saying bye to Apollo on our way out. To my horrified dismay, a thunderstorm began as we pulled out of the driveway.

I knew Isabel was not one for pain but by how she was acting I wasn't even sure if we would make it to the hospital, so when we did, I breathed a sigh of relief. Picking her up again, I carried her inside, happy to see nurses coming to greet us. Now that we made it this far, maybe both of us could catch a breath.

Helping her change, I offered her my hand, surprised by how tight of a grip she had. The nurses gave her a dose of something to try and ease her pain and get her to relax but whatever it was, it wasn't working because she was still in as much pain as when I found her and that was evident when she continued to plead with me about the epidural. Seeing her let out a desperate cry, I felt my stomach turn but remained calm.

"Okay, love, we'll get you one," I whispered nodding to a nurse who came in to check on her. They said her doctor had to check on her before they could give her anything else so I did my best to keep her distracted until then. Getting her to lay on her side to try and ease her pain, I rubbed my thumb across her forehead for comfort, not letting go of her hand while I coached her through it. I hated seeing her in this much pain, but it was equally remarkable to witness such a strong woman bring a life into the world, even when she refused to think she was being strong at all in this moment.

"You're doing so good, amor. The baby will be here soon. I hope he looks like you," I said with a smile, my thumb still stroking her forehead. "Some Valentine's Day present, huh?"

When the doctor came in to clear her for the epidural, we talked through that too and not long after, I started to see her pain start to diminish and her exhaustion set in. In this moment, I was trying to lull her to sleep, knowing she needed to get some sleep before things picked up again. I was hoping if I talked to her softly enough she would close her eyes and sleep. Right now, I was trying to ease her stress about everyone who would be arriving later to meet our son, the sound of his monitors as white noise.

"I already called our parents. Your mom said they'll be here as soon as they can. They left as soon as I called. Your sister is coming with," when she asked about her nieces and nephew I nodded. "Everyone is coming as soon as they can love, you just need to sleep." I knew better to think she was going to as long as she was worried about everyone else. When she asked about Amelia, I realized I hadn't told her best friend. Damn it. But maybe if she talks to her she'll calm down?

"I didn't call her. Do you want to call her or do you want me to?"

Last edited:
Dallas, Texas
Isabel
Taking on this pain without the epidural was something I was greatly opposed to. I couldn't imagine how anyone would want to give birth without one because I would have given up a long time ago. I was thankful for Dawson, the man I loved, because he was able to make it to me in less than twenty minutes, get me to the hospital, and now he was trying to do everything he could to ease the pain for me. It meant a lot and now that I was lying on my side, I bit my lip as the pain eased ever so slightly. I needed the doctor to hurry up and approve the epidural because I was not going to last another minute.

As I laid on my side, the pain eased completely after I was given the epidural. Feeling Dawson continue to rub his thumb across my forehead, I knew what he was trying to do. The pain washed away and when it did, the exhaustion set in. Now, I was fighting my sleep, not wanting to give in. I felt my eyes get heavy and the more my love talked to me, the harder it was to fight my sleep. Listening to him tell me he called everyone, my immediate thought was if he called Amelia. She needed to now just as soon as everyone else.

"I'll call....her." Before I could even call her, I felt all the exhaustion take over, my eyes shutting as I finally began to fall asleep. I didn't sleep long, but it was enough before I woke up in pain again, groaning in pain once more. "It hurts." I told Dawson before he called the nurse who came in and looked me over. I was asleep for three hours, I've been in labor for five and according to the nurse, it was five o'clock in the evening. I was hungry, I was in pain, but most importantly I just wanted my son to be here already.

At eight o'clock, I was being prepped. The contractions were now a minute apart and all I saw happening in the room was nurses and my doctor walking back and forth, getting everything they needed. I gripped Dawson's hand as tight as I possibly could, looking over at him when I was told I could start pushing soon. "I can't do it. It hurts too much. I can't." I began to panic and hyperventilate, shaking my head as my doctor said to push. After fighting myself, I pushed, crying out in pain. It took four pushes, four of them to make me so exhausted and in so much pain that I couldn't keep doing it.

"Just one more, Isabel. One more." I heard the doctor say. At this point I was crying, shaking my head and refusing to push once again. The panic and pain made this impossible to finish but finally, I pushed one last time and heard the screams of my son. Looking at Dawson with exhaustion present, I smiled weakly, giving his hand a small squeeze. "He's here, Amor." I whispered, smiling as the nurse cleaned him before swaddling him. Before I could even see my own son, my eyes got heavy and I was slowly falling unconscious. I didn't know if it was because of the exhaustion or if something else was wrong, but I didn't give it much thought before I blacked out. I didn't even get to see my son.

When I woke up I was in my room, Dawson sitting next to me with our son in his arms. It was the perfect sight to wake up to and I couldn't believe we he was actually here. "What happened?" I asked Dawson, not realizing that I lost too much blood which caused for me to blackout right after I heard our sons screams. "Can I see him?" Slowly sitting up, I tried holding back the tears forming as I looked down at the most handsome boy I could ever ask for. "He has your eyes, Dawson. He's handsome. Did you name him? Did one finally fit?"

Dawson
Once Isabel nodded off to sleep I let myself relax. The thought of her being miserable caused me too withhold all my own tension in my body. I hoped she would get a few hours before she woke again. Calling Amelia, I told her the exciting news and we shared in our excitement. I was grateful that my son had so much love from one person alone and I couldn't wait for him to meet his Aunt Amelia and Uncle Jayden.

After our call I let myself nod off while there was still some peace. I knew it wouldn't last long.

I didn't wake until I heard Isabel calling out to me. I jolted awake hearing the same painful strain in her voice that was there before. Looking out the window, I saw the wind pick up, making the furious rain fall sideways and the lighting crack against the dark Dallas sky.

Getting up from the uncomfortable chair I gave Isabel my hand, kissing her cheek.

"I'll go get a nurse." Wandering off, still half asleep, I found one, sending her to the room, coming back a few moments later with a cup of ice chips to light up Isabel's life for a short while. The woman was obsessed with ice.

The next three hours were touch and go, but when it was happening, on boy, it was happening.

Isabel being the insistent stubborn woman I fell in love with was not being persuaded on the idea that she could make it through this in the slightest. Her refusal despite all the nurses sweet encouragement and bribes was concerning everyone in the room I could feel the tension in the room and I knew I was going to be the only one she would listen to when she was this distraught. I knew I had to do something before she put our son in distress, putting both of them in danger.

"My love, you're almost there, you just have to get through this for a little bit longer. I'm right here. You get to hold our son soon. He wants to see you, You're going to hurt him if you wait. C'mon," I whispered kissing her neck before I squeezed her hand. "You can do it, momma."

When she relented, I let go of the breath I was holding but it didn't last long; because when her pleas continued, I could tell something was wrong. I could see it in her face. When her grip on my hand lessened I panicked, but was soon conflicted when my son's screams distracted me. I saw all the blood and I knew that wasn't normal. Looking down at Isabel, I kept my concern concealed and nodded. "Yes, love, he's here," I said feeling the tears roll down my cheeks from the immense joy that overwhelmed me. The joy was short lived though when I felt my wife's hand go limp in mine. Before I could even process what was happening the doctor was prepping her for a blood transfusion and the nurses were distracting me with my son.

Because Isabel lost consciousness, the immediate skin-to-skin contact was left up to me. The nurses told me to take my shirt off and in two minutes my son, who just spent nine months dependent on his mother for comfort and security, was now clinging to me. I felt guilty because it should have been Isabel who had this moment, but in the same breath, I had to admit it was the most remarkable moment of my life and wouldn't have traded it for the world. Instantly at his touch, I knew he was mine to protect and provide for and I knew I would go to the ends of the earth to keep him safe.

In the middle of the chaos of trying to save the woman who meant the world to me, I looked onto her with tears in my eyes, our son in my arms, listening to my heartbeat I was trying to calm, I felt intense love for her. A kind of love I never knew I was capable of feeling towards another human being. This woman gave me a son and I would be indebted to her for the rest of my life for today.

Running hand gently over his full head of hair, I kept him on my chest the blanket he was swaddled in before resting over him while he continued to wail. Besides his eyes, he looked just like his mom.

"Hey now, it's going to be alright, son. Your momma's not going anywhere. She's stronger than both of us," I whispered, smiling when he seemed to calm down at the sound of my voice. "That's the last time I let you hurt her, you hear?." Kissing his forehead, I took in the moment, knowing I wouldn't get the same one twice and I wanted to remember this for the rest of my life.

Isabel's transfusion was a success and after the chaos dimmed, we were moved to her recovery room where I saw the storm finally break and the Dallas skyline light up the room. With my son now swaddled in his blanket, he slept peacefully in the bend in my arm and while I watched over his mother, I admired him, stroking his chubby cheeks with the same thumbs I used to console his mother.

Hearing movement in Isabel's corner of the room, I looked up to her with a prideful grin so wide it made my cheeks hurt.. Getting up, I carried the baby over to her.

"Be careful," I warned helping her sit up gently. "You lost too much blood and had to have a transfusion so it's normal if you feel dizzy. Don't move too much," I whispered, knowing it was useless to explain. The only thing she wanted was her son. I couldn't blame her, he was pretty perfect. Resting his gently in her arms, I kissed her lovingly, I smiled at her praise of the baby boy who opened his eyes at the sound of his mother's voice. Crouching down beside them I nodded at the mention of his name. I knew it would mean the world to her. I wanted our son to be proud of who he was, and know where he came from. He was meant to have a strong name that honored both sides of his family, so it only made sense to honor his mother's wish and surprise her with a tribute to one of the most important people in her life.

"I think his name fits perfectly, Say hello to Mateo Gilbert Convington."

Last edited:
Isabel
Finding out what Dawson decided to name our son took my breath away. It took a second before I was able to breathe again. Gilbert. Mateo GIlbert. Dawson you didn't? Looking down at the little boy with green eyes as bright as his fathers, I smiled brightly, feeling the tears leave my eyes and fall down my cheeks. Knowing Dawson named our son after my grandfather and allowed him to have his Hispanic heritage rooted deep in his name brought me in an immense amount of tears. "Dawson, you didn't." I said softly, holding Mateo even closer against me before I kissed his forehead. "It's perfect. Welcome to the world, Mateo Gilbert Covington." I whispered to my son, smiling as he cooed happily in response. The name really did suit him. It was perfect. All of this was perfect.

Now that I was awake, I knew I should feed him. I always told myself I wanted to breastfeed and that's what I was going to try and do. When the nurse came in to coach me through it, I tried as hard as I could with Mateo but it was futile. He wouldn't latch. Now, I was crying for a different reason. I wasn't crying because of how perfect my son was, or how his father surprised me with the perfect name, I was crying because my son refused to latch, depriving us of an intimate mother and son moment. Biting my quivering lip, I fixed the hospital gown so that it was covering me again, looking down at Mateo as he cried. "Can you make me a bottle please, Amor?" I asked him, hating that I even had to say those words.

After feeding Mateo and putting him to sleep, I let Dawson take him from me to put him in his hospital nursery. Smiling as Mateo slept soundly once laid out, I motioned Dawson over, kissing him lovingly before I heard rain patter against the window. "What a perfect Valentine's Day, don't ya think?" I asked him. "When is everyone getting here? Are your parents coming tomorrow?" Having a room full of people ready to meet Mateo wasn't something I was looking forward to. I was very much selfish and didn't want too many people around our son all at one time. "Can we limit the number of visitors at a time? I don't want to overwhelm him."

I was more exhausted than I was hungry, and when Dawson offered to get me food, I shook my head. "Mm, no thank you. I'm okay. I love you, Dawson Nicholas Covington. You will never understand how much it means to me that you named our son Mateo Gilbert. Having my grandpa's name assures me that he will always watch over our son. Thank you. I couldn't have thought of a better name." I'm sorry we gave him both Hispanic names. We agreed to do one and one but thank you, Six. You just proved how much you really love me and our gift of joy.

Dawson
"Of course I did. I want him to be proud of where he comes from," I whispered, kissing Isabel's cheek while she admired our son. I knew she could get lost staring at him for hours because the same happened to me when I saw him for the first time. Our first moments as a family were just as perfect as I daydreamed about for the past nine months. Mateo in his mother's arms while we looked onto our son with nothing but expressions of pride and love. I hoped as I watched Isabel try to feed our son she would get the intimate moment with him that she was so desperate for, but seeing the baby refuse his mother's feeding, watching her cry in disappointment, my heart broke for her. I knew she would take it harder than she needed to. She was only a mother for a few hours now and already, she ran into the first moment that made her feel unfit and incapable when she was anything but.

When she turned to me for help, I was quick to jump in. Handing her the bottle I kissed her gently. "Don't be so hard on yourself. It's new for him too. Try again later," returning to my uncomfortable chair while she fed Mateo, giving mother and son their space. It was yet another memorable sight to see, even if it wasn't the way Isabel pictured it.

When Mateo was peacefully asleep I carried him back to his own bed, whispering to him while I laid him down gently. "I told you to stop being mean to your mom, you're hurting her feelings be nice. She just wants to take care of you."

Isabel was my next concern. Comforting her I laid beside her, holding her hand. Truth was people were already here but I sent them home for the night. After everything Isabel went through today I didn't want to bring other people into the room for her to stress over.

"They'll come in the morning when I tell them to and I'll only let as many people as you want in. Okay?" Moving her hair out of her face, I sighed at her thanks. "I wouldn't want anyone else watching over him, Amor. Mateo deserves to know about him."

In the morning before the crowd arrived I left Isabel with the baby to go get her some breakfast and the hospital bag I left behind when we were in the rush to get to the hospital. I hoped Isabel wouldn't feel as pressured with me gone and tried to nurse again before completely giving up. Running home I grabbed the bags and her phone charger, making her usual morning tea and then stopping at our favorite breakfast place to pick up our order.

While I was out I sighed at all the texts from everyone to see the baby. I knew everyone was excited but I knew Isabel didn't want to be bombarded with people. Deciding not to answer any of them for now, I returned to Isabel's room to take care of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back