• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love: Draft Three

Isabel
I knew Amelia missed Texas and as much as I wished she could move back, I knew right now that may have not been an option. D.C. was the best place to thrive and build up careers, which is what I knew Amelia and Jayden needed right now. It was amazing to know they were growing together, but I also knew they were waiting for the day the family of two went to a family of three with the addition of Lincoln. Maybe with the addition they'll move back to Texas. No, Isabel. Stop that!

"Texas is as good as ever. I'm really nervous about the rodeo but everything else is going well. Corpus is still treating Amanda right. She's still at the house and most importantly, the kids are doing good too. Dallas is as lively as ever and I think it misses the two of you. Y'all should come and visit sometime. You know my apartment is always open for y'all. Dawson's too, although he's never really there anymore." I said with a teasing laugh, a smile tugging at my lips. "How’s Lincoln doing? When was the last time y’all went to see him?"

Last edited:
Amelia
Looking over to Isabel I smirked. "Dawson's not home because he's at your home," I replied. It was a friendly, not-so-obvious jab at the news she told me earlier. I missed teasing her directly. I lived for it. She was an easy one to mess with. When she mentioned Lincoln though, I felt my heart slow its excited rhythm. I miss him so much. I wish he was here. "Yeah, how's Lincoln doing?" I asked Jayden curiously. I didn't know the answer to that question myself and I wanted to know just as much as Isabel did. I hadn't seen him in over two months and the thought alone made my heart continue to ache. In the last three weeks Jayden hadn't made a trip to see his son and I hoped it wasn't because of me, but I knew more than likely I was the cause. "You saw him for his last game, right?" I asked. I remembered Lincoln mentioning it when I came home.

"He said Jayden didn't yell at anyone this time," I said to Isabel in a giggle to fill her in.

Giving my attention back to Jayden I asked him the important question both Lincoln and I wanted an answer to.

"Have you talked to Tory about letting him come up here?"

I needed an answer because I did plan to take a trip to Texas with Isabel for the rodeo, I already told her I would and I was excited to witness Dawson's reaction when he found out he was going to be a dad. Not only that though, I knew it was time to head back to work soon and I didn't want to request any more time off of work than I had to once i returned because of my hiatus. I still had a job, I didn't want to lose it due to my incompetence to making it a priority.

Jayden
When Isabel mentioned Lincoln, I was instantly drawn into my thoughts. I missed my son with my entire heart, but I hadn't gone to see him in three weeks. I did facetime him whenever I got the chance, but it wasn't the same. He wanted Amelia and I to go see him soon, but I wasn't sure if Amelia had made plans with Isabel already. I smiled though, and answered the questions Amelia asked. I knew deep down, she needed her last question to be answered. Tory and I had been talking about that a lot lately. I wanted to move him coming to be with Amelia and I up. I was getting tired of the going to see him once a month. Tired of missing more and more of his life. I should have been there for him from the start, not when he turned old enough to say he wanted to come home with me. That wasn't going to happen, however, but Tory and I did agree that he could come to D.C.

"I did see his last game and ya know, he's right, my love. I didn't yell at all which took a lot of restraint but I managed." I told Amelia with a smile, sipping my own beverage before I answered the most important question that needed it. "Tory and I managed to talk out all the details but yes, I did talk to her about letting him come up here. She liked the idea, and Lincoln himself is so excited to come. We didn't decide on a date because I wasn't sure if you had made with the lovely Texan sitting with us but once we have a date set, he'll be here."

Isabel
It was refreshing to hear Lincoln was doing well and it was also good to know Jayden was still going to see his soon monthly. Amelia's teasing, however, was subtle but I got the hint. Yes, Dawson hadn't been at his own apartment in awhile because lately he had been at mine. I knew, however, this wasn't what she was hinting to. Horrible, Amelia. Smiling, I nodded when Jayden finished talking. "Well I did invite Amelia to the rodeo next week. She's tagging along. You can too if you want. I'm sure Dawson would love to see you. When can I meet your little one?"

Amelia
"You don't have to make your plans with Lincoln revolve around me. We've talked about this," I reminded Jayden gently. Throughout our whole relationship, I wanted Jayden to make his son the priority. I don't want to be put before him. He doesn't deserve that. "You pick dates that work best for you and I'll work around them." Finishing our meal I smiled at Isabel asking when she could meet Lincoln. Of course, I wanted her to because he was a big part of my bigger picture now. "I'm sure you'll see him best friend, Jayden's talked about taking him to one of Dawson's shows. He's so precious though. a real spitting image of his dad."

With Lincoln's visit settled and the three of us full, we parted ways with Jayden again. When he walked away I couldn't help but admire him in his uniform for a second and appreciate the fact that he was mine. Waiters aren't my type. I joked to myself before I drove Isabel and I back to the apartment, It was a long day for the two of us and even though it was fun, I was exhausted, I knew better to think I would sleep though, when the darkness fell, my anxiety would too. Chances were that I was going to stay up and wait for Jayden before I fell asleep. I wasn't going to make Isabel stay up because she made the flight up here to see me and travel days were always the most draining.

"So what did you think of D.C.? Was it as horrible as you imagined it to be., best friend?" This wasn't her fist trip here since I moved here, but it was the first time I gave her the touristy experience everyone came here for.

Shedding some layers of clothes I plopped onto the couch and laid my head back, waiting for Isabel to join me. When she picked up my press credentials out of my purse when I set it on the end table, I cringed. "I hate that picture of me," I said in honest disgust. I was rarely happy with how pictures of me turned out. Here comes that conversation you were trying to avoid, Amelia. Ahhh. Here goes nothing I guess.

Isabel
Once we arrived back to the apartment, I was quick to strip myself of my coat. I wasn't one for too much warmth and everyone knew that. Sighing softly, I placed it on the coat rack by the door before walking over towards the couch. "I loved D.C. honestly. I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did but I do. The Newseum was probably the best part but I am biased." I told her with a giggle, looking at the press credentials that were in her purse. I was quick to pull it out, smiling as I looked at the picture. I loved the picture of her, even though she hated it. Rolling my eyes, I looked at Amelia before I released a sigh. "Oh please, I like this picture of you. You don't look horrible and I would have told you if you did."

She knew that was the truth. I would have told her without a doubt if I thought she looked horrible. What I was thinking about in the moment, however, was not how precious Amelia looked in this picture. She looked happy here. What happened to you, Amelia? Sighing, I plopped down next to my best friend, leaning my head against her shoulder while the press pass laid in my lap. "Best friend, I get you may not want to talk about this, but I need to know. What happened?" I asked her, picking up my head so I could look at her with a gentle expression. "I just want to get a better understanding on why you took vacation this long. Neither of us have before. I want to help you because I'm the only other person who can understand. That's a positive about both of us being journalists." I tried to lighten the mood with that, but I knew no matter what I did, the mood was going to continue plummeting.

Amelia
I thought you'd never ask. I thought taking a deep breath at Isabel's curiosity. Where do I even start? Despite only being a year older than Isabel and being in the same career, I still had the strong instinct to protect her from my demons because she was family. But with her it was a little different. I knew sheltering her from my work wasn't going to work because she was a journalist.

"I know you want to help, but best friend, there's no easy way to tell you I watched brainwashed children younger than your nieces murder their own family members and destroy their villages. It was, despicable. I wish I could unseen it, but I can't. It was just awful. I don't sleep at night because I'm paranoid I'll hear machine gun fire or another grown man will come and try to beat me. One of them found out I was a journalist and attacked me until I gave him an empty memory card to get him to stop and that's when I decided it was time to pull away. I know I need to go back, but I wish there was something more I could do for those poor kids and their families." By now I was tearing up, I couldn't help it, this was the most horrific assignment I took so far in my career. "I shouldn't have done this story but now I don't have a choice. I have to finish what I started. I just can't even open the videos and pictures to edit them because I don't want to relive it but I need to stop being a sensitive coward and just finish it. My editor's being patient, but I know he's not going to wait forever, if I can't do what he hired me to do, he'll find someone else who can. I just--- I don't think I can handle crisis reporting anymore, I know it's important," I admitted through heavy, gasping tears, "But after losing a baby the way I did, I can't watch another child die at the hands of a murderer. I can't. I just--- can't."

I didn't break down to Jayden like this because I didn't want to anger him by bringing up the miscarriage and my past with Nick. I knew there was more than just resentment there. Jayden hated that I was ever with Nick in the first place. I couldn't blame him, which is why I just kept it to myself.

You're a horrible mother for letting that happen. You knew you shouldn't have gone over there to see Nick.

"It just reminds me it was m-my f-fault. I sh-shouldn't have did what I-I did. I-I'm sorry." In my eyes, my fear of becoming a terrible mother came true the day I didn't do everything I could to protect the child I knew I was carrying. Isabel told me not to see Nick after she watched him try to choke me in my kitchen on a separate occasion. You should have listened.

"I should have listened to y-you and I can't t-take it back," I whispered helplessly. It took three weeks, but I finally broke from the tough facade I placed myself in.

Isabel
I wasn't prepared for everything Amelia told me. I knew, however, that I was the only one who would really understand what she was going through. I didn't know what happened while she was in Africa, but now I knew why she was taking such a long vacation. Now I knew what she was thinking and what I needed to do to help her through all of this.

I was quick to take my best friend into a tight embrace. This was one way to let her know that I wasn't going anywhere and reassure her that I would always be there. I held her, letting her cry and breakdown before I offered her my words of comfort, though I knew they may not do anything. For all I know, they could just be spoken words with no meaning, but I hoped she would know that was not the case.

"Amelia, I love you. I'm sorry you went through all of that. I don't blame you for how long you've been distancing yourself from it. You know as well as I do this needs to be finished, but Melia, I'll be here every step of the way. I know you don't want to relive that moment. You don't have to do it alone. I can be here with you. I don't have to watch, but you can have my presence. I would do that if it allowed you to not fall back into what you felt there." By now I was rubbing her arm, my eyes closed as I tried to catch a breath for the both of us.

"Now, please do not let the miscarriage prevent you from moving forward. I know it hurts, best friend. I know you blame yourself but please, breathe. You're going to be okay love. What happened is not your fault. You're going to be okay. I'll be here, forever and always. You know Jayden will be there too. Now, you have a wonderful niece or nephew to help you on your hardest days. You have our love and support. Is there anything I can do right now?" I asked her gently, putting her hand against my heart so she could calm down.

Amelia
You're not supposed to worry about me. Pull yourself, together, Amelia. Taking a deep breath, I shook my head, "I'll be okay," I said softly, though I knew it didn't sound convincing. Just get it over with. Getting up, I reached for Isabel's hand and led her to my room. I was still concentrating on breathing when I went looking for the memory cards I mailed to my editor when I was in Africa and he returned to me when I returned home safely. Pulling them out of the back of the drawer I through them in and out of the sealed envelope, I grabbed the laptop and a set of headphones because I really didn't want Isabel to hear the raw footage before I edited it. I knew I had hours of work ahead of me, but i was going to push through it so the thought of child soldiers would stop haunting me.

"Let's get this over with," I declared in a dreadful tone before I took over Jayden's side of the bed, giving Isabel my own.

The truth was, I had been working on this on and off since I returned home but I only ever did when I was completely alone and it was only for small amounts of time before I decided I couldn't handle it anymore but tonight was going to be the night I put it all behind me.

With Isabel pulling out her own project to work on, I couldn't help but smile, something about us working separately but in the comfort of each other's presence was calming to me.

Hours passed and while I knew Isabel was still with me, I had been in my own world for awhile now. When I had a vision things always seemed to fall into place in how I wanted a story to be told and I had a horrible habit of not stopping to do anything until I was done By the early morning hours before dawn, I looked over to my best friend curled into the blankets asleep. I didn't enter reality again, until I looked up, nearly jumping when I saw Jayden looking into the room, staring at me. What time is it? Looking at the clock on my laptop I saw it was almost seven in the morning. Jayden's shift was over.

When he inched closer, I glared at him, embarrassed he frightened me. "Don't just stand there and stare at me like that! You scared me!" I exclaimed in a whisper, not wanting to wake Isabel who looked to be peacefully asleep. I knew Jayden probably wanted to do the same after almost 24 hours of patroling the nation's capital.

Removing the headphones from my ears and saving my work, I was satisfied. I just had to go back and fix a few transitions and finish some subtitles. Some minor edits.

"I can wake her if you want to go to sleep," I whispered. "How was the night shift? Did you miss it?"

Last edited:
Jayden
By the time I arrived home, I was beyond exhausted. I took the double shift because I knew Amelia and Isabel needed the time alone. I also needed to pick up more night shifts since I stopped doing them when Amelia came back from Africa. I didn't mind taking the day shifts when she came back because I knew she needed me and I needed to be there for her. Taking the day shifts and this double shift was worth it and I knew it was when I came home and saw Amelia on her laptop, headphones in, going into her own world as she worked on her latest assignment. I knew it was hard for her to even attempt to touch the videos and photos, and now that she had, I watched her at the doorframe, admiring her work away. Oh Amelia, you're as amazing as ever.

Chuckling, I walked over to her, my gaze never leaving hers. I was tired, but it went away when I was standing in front of her, smiling brightly. "No no, she's fine. Let her sleep." I told her gently, taking her hands into my own. "Mm, as exciting and boring as always. I did miss it, though. We both know I'm more of a night owl." Leaning in I kissed her lovingly, pulling away with a content sigh. "I proud of you. You finally finished the assignment and I couldn't be anymore proud of you than I am now." I kissed her again before walking to the closet where I took off my belt. badge, and wallet, then walked to the bathroom so I could shower.

The Following Weekend: Dallas, TX
Isabel
The time had finally arrived for the Fort Worth rodeo. I wasn't as thrilled for it as I thought I would be, but maybe it was because I knew Dawson was riding. I still hadn't really come to terms with being accepting of it, but maybe seeing him in action, like him with flying, would help reassure me that it was all going to be okay. Today was going to be a good day though, because despite my fear of Dawson riding, the secret was finally going to be known. With Amelia's help, along with Dawson's family, the reveal was planned and I just knew he was going to be blown away. I could only hope his reaction was a positive one.

As I was getting dressed in my room, I felt someone staring and I knew who that someone was. Turning around, I smiled gently at the only man who held my heart. "Hi there, Cowboy. Ready for the rodeo? Shouldn't you be heading there now?" I asked him with a curious expression, walking towards him as I finished putting on my sleeveless red blouse. I opted to wear blue jean shorts because I wanted everyone to see the new boots I recently just bought. I leaned up to kiss him gently before I released a gentle sigh. "How do I look? Do I scream fake country?" I asked with a giggle before walking towards my vanity, sitting down so that I could brush my hair. I grabbed my phone and realized the time. Amelia probably hadn't woken up yet. It was only seven in the morning but I was up because I wanted to grab some breakfast. "I think I'll let Amelia sleep a little longer. It's still a little early."

Last edited:
Dawson
It was the morning of the rodeo and I was excited to get the opportunity to ride again, the thrill, but mostly I was nervous. My last name gave away the fact that I spent my life on the backs of horses, and when I used to ride frequently it was no secret I was the rider to beat. But things change. Since joining the Navy and becoming a pilot, riding fell on the back burner, making me stiffer than I liked to admit. I had a name to live up to after years of building it up and I was terrified it was all going to crumble tonight. It seemed silly, I knew, but as much as I tried to deny it, I was a Covington and damn proud of it.

The only thing that excited me about tonight was the woman I would have cheering me on. As much as I knew Isabel was hesitant to accept this part of my life that was once the most important thing to me as a teenager, I was still eager her to show her this side of me. It was another part of life I wanted her to be excited to share with me but I understood some things took warming up to. When Amelia told me she would attend in effort to ease Isabel's nerves I happily welcomed her and Jayden back to Texas. I hoped if Isabel saw our friends enjoying their time, she would too.

It was early in the morning but I was ready to get the day started. My nerves kicked in and I felt the unsettling feeling in my stomach, but I swallowed the nerves and put a smile on my face as I walked into the bedroom where Isabel was getting ready. God, you're so beautiful. What did I do to deserve you?

"I don't know if I'll ever be ready, love, but I think you look cute, very southern. Did you just get those boots? I like 'em." Taking Isabel into a hug I kissed her head before we pulled away, before she could let go completely is when I went for her lips. They always tasted sweet.

Smiling at the mention of Amelia, I shook my head with a mischevious smirk. "Amelia's awake, but she's not here." Amelia was up to something and I was the only one who knew because she asked me if it was okay to do, of course, I agreed in half a heartbeat without any hesitation. "She has a surprise for Jayden and they went to go get it. We're meeting them for breakfast after."

I knew Jayden would be thrilled for what Amelia planned for him once he realized what it was, or rather who.

Amelia
"Do you know where we're going yet?" I asked Jayden in a giggle while I continued to drive the two of us to his mystery destination. I didn't give Jayden much an explanation before we left, I just told him to get in the rental car because I had a surprise for him. It was a big surprise too, one I had to keep to myself for a week.

The truth was we were headed for the airport, not to go home, but because after sneakily making arrangements with Tory I paid to fly Lincoln to Texas for the rodeo as a surprise for his dad and then he would fly home with us to D.C. where he would spend his summer with us. For now, I was keeping Jayden guessing. I knew he had no idea.

Isabel
Dawson was sweet whenever he complimented me. His compliments were always the sweetest but I was worried about him. He didn't know if he was ready for the rodeo, which made me worried. When we went out to the ranch this past week, I could tell he wasn't happy with how he was doing. I'm sure he was more stiff than he would have liked to admit, and I know he built a name for himself. Keeping that name was going to be difficult with out stiff he was, but I believed in him. He was going to be just fine.

As I brushed out my hair, I kept an eye on Dawson who was now sitting on my bed. When he mentioned my boots, I looked down at them and moved my foot back and forth. "Yeah, these are new. I'm glad ya like them." Finishing up my hair, I became curious when he mentioned Amelia wasn't here. I don't know where she went and now my curiosity was getting the best of me. "She went somewhere? Where exactly?" I asked him, knowing he knew with that grin on his face. I turned around and pushed my curls back. "You now something, Dawson Nicolas Covington. What are you keeping from me?"

I knew Dawson knew what Amelia was up to and now I wanted to know. I was glad we were going to get breakfast, though. I was starving. As I stared at my cowboy from the ottoman by my vanity, I couldn't help but bite my lip. He looked more than handsome in his get up. Such a handsome man. I don't know how I managed to get you all to myself, Dawson. Smiling at him, I got up, walked over to him before I straddled him by sitting on his lap. "So, Cowboy, did I tell you how amazing you look dressed like this? All the girls are going to be all over you, but maybe they won't. Are ya still stiff? Maybe I can help relax you." By now, my hands were wrapped around his neck, and before I knew it, I was kissing his lips with a bright smile.

Jayden
Being back in Dallas was refreshing. I missed it here and it felt good to be back. I wasn't entirely sure where Amelia was taking me when she woke me up so early. I obliged to her request, getting dressed so she could take me to pick up whatever surprise she got me. I didn't know what it was or why she decided to do this, but I was looking forward to finding out what this surprise was.

As we continued driving, I became even more nervous about where she was taking me. I didn't deserve this woman, but I knew this surprise had to be major if she woke up this early. Trust me, the love of my life was not a morning person. Don't you know how she's addicted to coffee? Trust me, you never want to be around if she hasn't had any. "No, I haven't figured out where we're going. What's this surprise, Amelia? Why did we have to pick it up so early?" Oh, did I not mention I'm not a morning person either.

When we got closer to our destination, I felt my heart beating quick and hard against my chest. I knew where we were heading now. There was no other place we could be heading. What's at the airport, Amelia? "Amelia, why are we going to the airport? What surprise could possibly be there waiting for me?" I don't think I was ready for her surprise, because when we got down and went to the gates, I gasped when I saw him. I was so overjoyed I could cry, but I pushed back those tears.

"Dad! Amelia!" Is what I heard my son say and I watched him turn and thank the flight attendant before he ran in mine and Amelia's direction. She fly Lincoln out to be with us. I couldn't believe it but I wasn't against it. I missed him so much. Catching him, I hugged him tightly, kissing the top of his head before I released a chuckle. "Hey there bud. I'm glad you're here." Setting him down, I watched him hug Amelia just as tight, taking her hand in his after all the hugging. "I'm glad too! I miss you and Amelia! She flew me here and I'm excited to be in Texas. All my friends told me there's a bunch of horses!" I chuckled at my son before I took his other hand, walking with him and Amelia to baggage claim. I let Lincoln run off to grab his bag before I pulled Amelia close against me, smiling when I heard her giggle. You're absolutely perfect. "Thank you, Amelia. I really mean that. I wasn't expecting this." I whispered, kissing her more than lovingly to show my appreciation. "I think he's going to have a great weekend with us."

Dawson
"If I told you your best friend might have to kill me. She wanted it to be a surprise for you too. My lips are sealed," I teased before I watched Isabel get up and make her way over to me. What are you up to? I'm in trouble. I know by the look on your face. You know I can't say no to you. Letting her straddle my lap, I wrapped my arms around her, holding her close to me. When her lips met mine I did anything but object, instead, I only pulled her closer towards me while I returned her kisses. Looking into her eyes, I smiled at her, taking her hand and rubbing it with my thumb gently. You're right, I'm relaxed now.

"I'll be okay, even if tonight ends horribly and no one wants to see my face in the ring again, the only girl I want will still leave with me," I said in a chuckle before I kissed her neck playfully. "Are you going to be okay?" I asked her in genuine concern about tonight. I really didn't want her to dread the occasion. Amelia, Jayden and Lincoln were all going to be there but I knew that might not be adequate enough to cure her nerves about my own well being.

Amelia
Still on the way to the airport, I couldn't keep myself from being giggly with excitement about what today would entail. "Quit being grouchy. I did this because I love you," I said teasingly reaching over to cup his face at a stop before I kissed his cheeks. "We're going to get food with Isabel and Dawson after this so cheer up, buttercup."

Once we were closer to the airport and Jayden realized where we were going. I thought by then he would put the pieces together about what we were doing but when he didn't I just started laughing again. Really Jayden? "I guess you're about to find out huh?"

Parking the car in the garage I took Jayden's hand and led him to Lincoln's gate after we got our passes to retrieve him. As we waited, my nerves began to take over, I was excited for Lincoln to be here, but I worried Jayden would take it the wrong way and think I overstepped him as Lincoln's father by not telling him what I was doing, but after everything Jayden did for me since I returned from Africa, I wanted to do this one thing for him because he deserved it. I was grateful when Tory agreed to let Jayden have his son for not only the weekend but the summer as well.

Watching the passengers of the plane walk off the plane and into the airport my grin widened when I watched the flight attendant bring Lincoln to his father before the two embraced each other. I knew the trip from Chicago to Dallas this early in the morning would be rough for a nine-year-old boy, especially this early in the morning, but seeing Lincoln run for his father, it made all my worrying for him worth it.

"Lincoln!" I exclaimed when he ran towards me I immediately picked him up and squeezed him as hard as I knew his body could take. "I missed you!" I said happily, kissing his cheeks to embarrass him. I didn't want to let him go. I was relieved to know he was safe and loved in a country where he would actually have a protected childhood.

"Yes, there are lots of horses here, we're going to go see some later. Are you excited? Have you ever seen a horse before?" I asked Lincoln curiously while we walked to baggage to retrieve his things. In this moment, holding his hand, I was content.

Helping him grab his bags, I looked up to Jayden with a smile. I know you didn't expect this. That was the point. What I wasn't expecting was the kiss Jayden gave me. Wow. That was nice. Before I pulled away from his hug, I giggled as I had been all morning.

"I'm glad you're happy about it because he's coming home with us for the summer," I confessed squeezing his hand before I turned my attention back to Lincoln who was in a hurry to leave the airport and explore this great state that he had never been to.

"Hey Linc, are you hungry? We're going to get breakfast. What do you want?" I asked him sweetly while I watched him take Jayden's hand with his free one as I led the three of us back to the car.

Last edited:
Isabel
"Who's to say I'll leave with you even if you do horrible? That could ruin my rep you know." I told his teasingly, giggling excitingly so that he knew I was only joking. No matter how Dawson did, I was always going to be supportive, but I had faith that my cowboy would do just fine. He was going to kick ass. When he asked me if I was going to be okay, I didn't know what to say. I don't know. Will Josie be there? Of course she will be. Of course, that's what I wanted to say, but I refrained from even bringing her up. I didn't want to ruin the mood, or the day. Today he was going to find out about our blessing and I couldn't wait for that. "I think I will be. I'm still nervous but I think after seeing you do your thing, I'll be more comfortable with it." I told him truthfully, hoping I didn't say anything that would upset him. "When are we heading over to the rodeo?" I asked him softly, laying my head against his shoulder before I released a content sigh. "Are we going to the ranch first?"

When I heard Dawson's phone ring, I sighed and let him look to see who texted. When he said it was Jayden telling them where to meet, I laid in my bed and pouted. "Do we have to leave right now? We're closer than they are. I was enjoying our time together before I have to give you away to your adoring fans at the rodeo." I said with a teasing wink, giggling non-stop.

Jayden
Seeing Amelia and Lincoln together truly made me happy. This feeling of completeness is what I have been wanting for awhile now. The both of them are my family and I wanted our family to be together already. Having him for the summer was going to be amazing. It was going to give me that complete feeling knowing the two most important people of my life would be under the same roof, even if just for three months or so. "He's staying for the summer? You, Amelia Carson, are amazing and I love you with every fiber of my being." I whispered to her gently, kissing her cheek before I took Linc's luggage from her, following them both out of the airport because my son was eager to explore a whole new state.

"Mm, I want pancakes!" I heard Lincoln tell Amelia when she asked him what he wanted for breakfast. I knew we were meeting Isabel and Dawson for breakfast so I pulled out my phone to text Dawson, asking him if they were okay with the diner downtown. I know Linc's favorite for pancakes were IHop but the diner was more homey and local. I wanted him to really get the DFW experience.

When at the car, I smiled as I watched Lincoln get in as quick as possible with Amelia's help. Seeing them both together made my heart beat hard against my chest. This is what I always wanted and I would always be grateful Amelia made this happen, even if for a temporary time. With Lincoln in the car, I pulled Amelia close to me again. "I really mean it when I say thank you, Amelia. Having the both of you together makes me really happy so thank you." I kissed her once more, before I opened her door for her and walked over to the drivers seat, driving us to our destination. "I already told Isabel and Dawson where to met us. Is the diner downtown okay with you?" I asked her, taking her hand in mine while I drove away from the airport, the both of us listening to Lincoln tell us how school was and how baseball went.

Dawson
"Yes, love, we have to go," I whispered leaning over her and giving her another kiss on the lips. "We have to get a table for all of us and then we're going to the ranch. It'll all make sense when you know, c'mon." Taking her hand I led her to the car, the two of us making our way to the diner Jayden and Amelia agreed on. As one of Jayden's closest friends, meeting his son was going to be an exciting moment for me. All Jayden did since Lincoln came into his life was talk about him and I wanted to meet the little boy who filled the void in Jayden's heart that never needed to exist. It was also a defining moment in Jayden and Amelia's relationship, in the beginning, it was easy to see Jayden was in love with Amelia, but I often questioned Amelia's intentions with Jayden when she wasn't sure what she wanted. Her flying Jayden's son in to see him and spend the weekend with his closest friends reassured me that Amelia was the right pick for Jayden and I prayed after today, he still felt she was the remarkable woman he talked about spending the rest of his life with if he was lucky enough to win her over after all the shitty relationships she was in before she gave Jayden the chance to prove himself to her.

Amelia
"Jayden, stop thanking me, I wanted him to be here too. He's supposed to be here with you, with us. I love you both." Hugging him before we got into the car, hearing Lincoln ramble about school and baseball warmed my heart. His presence was a gift to me. "I'm okay with that," I said happily with a nod.

"Lincoln, do you remember Dawson and Isabel? " I asked curiously. Jayden and I talked about our best friends to Lincoln on occasion but I didn't expect him to remember well enough to recall.

"Dawson is your dad's best friend, he flies the planes and my best friend is a journalist like me. She takes pictures. They're coming to breakfast with us, is that okay?" I asked. "We're going to spend the weekend with them. We're going to watch Dawson ride some horses later but he's going to show you some after breakfast. He has a lot. Are you excited?"

Isabel
Sighing, I knew Dawson was right. There was nothing I could do to convince him to stay here longer. I was nervous for more than one reason today but I hope Dawson didn't catch onto the second reason: the reveal. I let him take my hand and walk me out of my apartment and to the car where we began toe drive to the diner Amelia and Jayden had chosen. I didn't know why going to breakfast would put everything in perspective for me, but I took Dawson's word for it.

When we were in the car, I softly sang along to the songs playing while looking out my window and looking at the city that stole my heart during college and now the city I called home. Work slowed down again, and I wasn't too thrilled about it. I considered a change despite how much I loved the DMN. Working there was always the goal, but it would always be just short-term. I looked over to Dawson when I heard him call my name. "Yes?" I asked him curiously, taking his hand in my own before I gave it a squeeze. I could see in his eyes he was still concerned about the rodeo and myself. "Amor, I promise everything will be okay. I'm actually excited for it. I swear. Just breathe. I also believe you'll do great. I know you're stiffer than you would like, but you can do it. Riding is a part of who you are. Don't let these rookies come in a scare ya."

Lincoln
Being in Texas was a new to me. I have never been here before, but I was excited to get to see what Dallas was all about! I was also happy to be with my dad and Amelia. I really missed Amelia at my last game, but I knew she had work and I understood. I looked out of the window with wide, excited eyes and took in all the different scenery here compared to Chicago. My attention was pulled to Amelia when she began talking to me.

"Yes, I do! I'm excited to meet them so I don't mind at all, Melia. Does Dawson really have a lot of horses? Why does he? My friend said they're hard to take care of." I responded, smiling at my dad through the rearview mirror. I was excited to spend the weekend here. "How is Isabel, Melia? Has she been okay?"

Amelia
"He really does, I promise. He has a lot because his mom and dad keep them as pets and he goes back to visit them. They are hard to take care of, but it's Dawson's family's job to take care of them, so they're really good at it. Your friends really know a lot about horses, huh? We'll have to take pictures of you with them so you can show them when you go back to school." Anyone else more than likely would have gotten impatiently annoyed with a nine-year-old's abundance of curious questions. but being a journalist, his curiosity to understand a reality he wasn't accustomed to struck a personal cord with me. I loved Lincoln's want for knowledge so I took all his questions in stride. It melted my heart when he asked about Isabel. He didn't know my best friend but he felt the need to include her in the conversation because he was a sweet boy who knew she meant a lot to me so in turn, he wanted her to mean a lot to him too.

"Yes hun, she's good. She doesn't know you're here but she'll be excited to see you. All your daddy does is talk about you when you're not here. She knows a lot about you, I promise."

OCC: "Your best friend knows about me?"

When we arrived at the diner, I noticed Dawson's truck and was quick to lead the two boys I came with inside. It was a long morning to survive without a single cup of coffee and i was ready to give into my caffeine craving. Once inside I waited patiently to make my way through the crowd at the door to make it to the table Dawson and Isabel were already comfortably seated at. I hoped Isabel was still feeling okay. I knew she was nervous about today for more than reason. The good news was, I had the surprise for Dawson under control and it was all ready, his mom texted me this morning to show me what she put together and I was pumped for both he and Isabel to see it, it was adorable.

Once we found a space to squeeze by, the three of us made our way to the Texan couple, but I stopped to admire a moment between the two northern boys who stole my heart. As we were walking, Lincoln kept his grip on his father's hand and looked up to him curiously.

"Dad, why do all these people talk funny?"

Isabel
When Dawson and I arrived, I didn't see the rental car that Amelia and Jayden had gotten. I smiled as I let Dawson take my hand and lead me inside where we grabbed a table for all of us. When Dawson told the hostess our party was for five, I was curious as to who else would be joining us. I didn't know for sure who else was joining us but I wasn't about to fall into my thoughts, overthinking pretty much everything. When we were shown to our table, I happily held a conversation with him up until I saw Amelia walk in. I smiled when I saw her, but when I saw the little boy I gasped. Lincoln!

"Hey there precious boy! I'm so glad you got to come visit us!" I told him happily when the family arrived. I knew deep down this had to be Amelia's doing, which means Jayden was more than happy with her. It warmed my heart to know the three of them were being the true family they were meant to be.

Jayden
I was more than happy to have my son here, and I knew being here in the great state of Texas was going to be quite the adventure. I enjoyed having him here, with Amelia and I. Everything felt so right, so in place and I never wanted him to leave us again. I wanted him to permanently be with us for the rest of his time growing up. This. This is my family. I love you both with all my heart.

When we began walking to the table, I kept a strong hold on Lincoln's hand so that we didn't lose him in the big crowd of people. The talking among the others in the restaurant proved how southern everyone here down really was. When I heard the question he asked, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at it. Oh boy. Good luck explaining this one, Jay. "They don't talk funny, Linc. They have what is known as an accent. We have one too. We just talk differently than they do. It sounds funny to you just because you're not used to it." I explained gently, hoping he understood before we made it to the table and smiled when Isabel welcomed Lincoln excitedly.

Lincoln
"Hi Isabel!" I said excitedly, going to give Amelia's best friend a great big hug. After telling her hi, I went over to Dawson and did the same. "Dawson! You're my dads best friend, right?" I asked, smiling brightly when he nodded. "I'm glad! Was my dad ever mean to you? I'll get after him if he was!" I laughed when Dawson did, but I walked to the chair between my dad and Amelia so I could be in between them. I wish I could stay here forever.

Amelia
Seeing Jayden and Lincoln was enough to touch my heart, but seeing Lincoln and Isabel brought me a bizarre sense of pride. I wasn't sure in this moment why I felt this way, but seeing the two of them interact with each other so happily, made it all feel real. I knew then I made the right decision in bringing Lincoln to spend the weekend with all of us. This is too sweet to let go of. Aren't you glad you didn't run from Jayden in fear of stepping in as a mother? Sitting Lincoln in between me and Jayden I smiled over to Isabel, letting her know everything was going as planned without having to say a word. I got it. Breathe.

Watching Lincoln talk with Jayden and Dawson, I looked over with a genuine smile, for the first time in a long time, I had this feeling of satisfaction and as I sat here, looking to my best friend with nothing but a sweet smile, I knew this feeling was happiness and I hoped it wasn't temporary.

"How are you?" I asked her while the boys had their own conversation across the table. I wondered if my question would set her off the wrong way. I wanted her to enjoy the weekend just as much as I knew the rest of us were going to, but Isabel had a way of letting her nerves ruin her mood completely. I knew she was nervous for Dawson and I knew she was anxious to tell him soon, they too would be a family of three. But I also knew people are what set her mood off the most and I knew Josie was going to be at the rodeo tonight. Isabel hated Josie, and in turn, so did I. I didn't want a woman who was relentlessly trying to tear Dawson apart from my best friend ruin such a precious moment between them. I wasn't going to have it. I wasn't going to draw attention to the fact Josie was going to be there, but if I had to, I would put the girl in her place the way Isabel was afraid to, not wanting to upset Dawson. When it came to Isabel's well being, I didn't care in the slightest if it upset Dawson if I defended my best friend by belittling his. She's the mother of his child. It's time he realizes any friend who doesn't accept Isabel isn't a friend.

Jayden and I talked about this and he agreed he wouldn't hesitate to step in either. Josie was going to have a rude awakening if she even tried to run anything tonight. But I wasn't going to let her childish nature ruin the rest of the day. I was excited for this breakfast and for Lincoln to see the ranch.

"I need a coffee," I said to Isabel with a laugh, watching the boys now do a word search with Lincoln while the waiter came to take our drink orders. Thank God.

Isabel
I found it precious and comforting to see how well Dawson interacted with Lincoln. It calmed some of my anxiety about our future together. We were expecting a child of our own, not that he knew that, so seeing him play games and hold a conversation with the little boy warmed my heart. I just knew he was going to be an amazing father, and I couldn't wait to see another part of him grow. I saw him grow over the year we have been together, but I looked forward to seeing him grow even more. I knew neither of us was going anywhere. We were meant to spent the rest of our lives together.

When Amelia asked me how I was, I smiled sheepishly so that without using words, she knew I was very much anxious about the endeavors today, and for more than one reason. It was actually very overwhelming and was now causing a slight pounding in the back of my head. A migraine is the last thing I need. "I'm okay. Head hurts a little but I think it's because I haven't eaten anything. Ready for the rodeo. What about you? I see your morning was eventful. He's a precious little boy." I told her with a bright expression. I meant what I said about Lincoln. I just met him but he had this glow about him and it made me so happy to see Amelia and Jayden together with him.

"I need some tea, honestly. Maybe Earl Grey if they have it." I said, looking over to the boys but releasing a content sigh when our waiter came to take our drink order. I was quick to order some hot tea. They didn't have Earl Grey specifically and I didn't expect them to. When our waiter left after the boys ordered, I smiled at Amelia when she gave me that look. I knew she was worried about me for more than one reason, and it wasn't because of the reveal. It was because of Josie, the woman I had become to dislike more than anything.

"I promise I'll be okay. What can she honestly say that she hasn't already?" I asked her in a whisper, careful to make sure Dawson didn't overhear. "It'll be okay. I'm going to support my cowboy and most importantly to enjoy the event with a few of the people I love most."

Amelia
There's a lot she could say but it doesn't mean I'll let her. Enjoying the breakfast with the clan, I enjoyed the opportunity to catch up with my best friend and to be with the people who brought so much joy into both of our lives. That would be one of the last peaceful moments between us before everything turned further upside down than I anticipated.

To say the least, Josie was the decline in my climatic drunken night. I wish I blacked out so I wouldn't have to remember it, but unfortunately, I wasn't inebriated enough to completely forget the worst night of my life. It all came back to me in flashes, breaking me each time. I wish it never happened. I wish I could take it all back.

When I woke up the next morning, I remembered I was now in this hotel room by myself by the ominous silence that filled the room, but the silence was filled by the unmistakable thudding in my skull. Jayden's gone and you're more than hungover. Jayden. I wished he believed me. I thought he trusted me.

The Night Before
Dawson
Riding isn't like riding a bicycle. It didn't all come back with muscle memory. My calves were nothing like they used to be. We were only a minute into the ride and I could already feel the familiar ache in my legs. My tolerance for rough riding was once again nonexistent.

Come on Covington, give it all you got. You didn't come here to lose to some rookies. Concentrating on the ride, I didn't notice part of the hellfire that was about to occur.

Josie
The rodeo was a night Texans from all overlooked forward to. It was tradition to come and watch a Covington take the belt, and with word that Dawson would be returning to reclaim his title for the family, I knew it would be the perfect night to settle the feud between me and his preppy Dallas girl. Truth was, she wasn't even classy enough to be from Dallas, she was a south Texan, too embarrassed to admit it, she claimed Dallas to as her home. Who could blame her though? Those South Texans are a nasty breed.

For the last year, my future was endangered. See, you don't just "date a Connington" boy. His parents pick you to be brought into the family lineage, Dawson's parents picked me. It was no secret when Dawson returned from his phase in the Navy, we would get married and start the family I was promised together, and then she showed up.

Isabel, the unimpressive journalist from south Texas who had no idea about what it would mean to carry the Covington name. She wasn't someone a Covington would be with, but somehow, she swooned Dawson, how was beyond me, but she did and I was furious.

The fury only worsened when I overheard Dawson, talk about marrying her. Why would you want to?

I loved Dawson so much that I didn't want to do anything to hurt him, meaning, I would have to accept that Dawson was no longer a part of my picture. He and Isabel were going to have our picture-perfect life together. But I wasn't going to just live with it. I wanted Isabel to know the anger she dealt me.

Good thing my mom taught me to keep your friends close and your enemies closer, A plus is knowing your enemy's soft spot, and Isabel's, well that was easy, it was Amelia.

I decided if I couldn't have my picture perfect life with Dawson, Amelia would have to lose hers as an expense, maybe her best friend if I got that lucky.

It wasn't hard really, give that girl enough Bailey's in her coffee at the ranch brunch and she'll admit to anything while everyone else is out gasping at the ranch. In her nearly drunken state, she mistook me for Isabel and started talking about this guy, Eric, she used to date and how she didn't want to tell Jayden, but he was still persistent in seeing her, but she did nothing but refuse. Interesting.

From personal knowledge, I knew there was a solid six months in Jayden and Amelia's relationship where they lived separately, Jayden in Dallas and Amelia in D.C. Perfect for an affair.

Tonight a surprise visitor would be attending the rodeo, his name is Eric.

As Dawson's name was called and he skidded into the circle, I watched the senator make his way to his love, a bouquet of her favorite flowers in hand. The whole scene was romantic. He came to surprise Amelia about the flowers she talked about never getting and pulled her into a deep kiss when she was already four shots deep. Watching her kiss him back made me giggle endlessly. She had no idea.

When Jayden questioned it, Eric had intimate pictures of her to prove their "relationship" was real.

Going to the bar, I ordered a beer and made sure to walk by the scene at its climax.

"Stop living this double life when you know I'm the one you want!" Eric pleaded, nearly crying. "Come home, Amelia, please. He's not good for you! That's why we spent last night together."

Isabel
There was a lot of damage that Josie could do. I knew there was but I never really believed she would do anything. That was a total lie. I should've known damn well the damage she could and did cause.

Let's just say I was in my apartment, Lincoln asleep in the guest room but Amelia was at a hotel with Jayden. I didn't know how the hell Eric showed up or why he did, but I knew she was too drunk to even process that it was him. I knew Amelia didn't intentionally do anything with Eric like Jayden thought, but if Jayden really didn't trust Amelia, he didn't deserve her. I would have never thought Josie was the reason Eric was in Texas, but thanks to Lincoln mentioning he saw Josie with a man before everything happened, I knew damn well how he was here and I felt horrible because of it.

So, ya want to know what happened last night? I assure you it was nothing like y'all thought it would be. There was no romance, no spark, no congratulations about me being pregnant. The reason was simple. Josie fucked it all up for me. She ruined what Dawson and I had and now I felt like a shit person because I was ultimately the reason Amelia and Jayden were going to be separated. None of this would've happened if I never met Dawson, and now as I sat on my porch, letting the rain soak everything I was wearing, I wished I never did meet him. That thought was too short lived, however, because I heard the sliding door open. When I looked back I saw the one and only Cowboy I loved. I sighed and looked away quickly, rubbing my stomach as I looked out at the skyline. "Lincoln's still asleep so please don't be too loud. Why are you here?"

Jayden
Everything that happened last night was something I wish didn't happen. From Amelia kissing Eric, to Isabel getting physical with Josie, despite her being pregnant, to me leaving the rodeo when Isabel did, driving to the hotel Amelia was at. When I walked in, my blood began to boil, but that was because I walked in on Eric stripping Amelia of her clothes. I stopped myself from leaving in anger because I knew what Isabel said was true, and the only thing that confirmed her statements was when I heard Amelia telling Eric to stop/

I was able to get a key to the hotel room easily. Waving my badge in people's face was enough to get them to do what I needed. I was quick to pull Eric off of the woman I loved, throwing him against the wall in disgust. "Leave. My. Girlfriend. The. Fuck. Alone. I believe she told you to stop. I would get lost before I call the chief, who still happens to be a very close friend of mine." With Eric gone, I sighed as I sat on the bed and took Amelia into my arms. Despite the state she was in, she was shaking. I didn't know what she was thinking but I held her throughout the night, letting her cry as she began to realize what she did. "Shhh, just sleep."

In the morning, I walked back in from the balcony to find Amelia awake and groaning. She probably had the worst hangover ever. "Here, take this." I told her gently, handing her a pain reliever and some orange juice I had gotten through room service. I slowly sat next to her, sighing softly as the silence lingered. I didn't know what to say, but all I could hear was Isabel in the back of my head. Isabel's right, Jayden. You should believe Amelia. "You should eat breakfast. We won't leave until you're sobered up and we work through this because Isabel's right. I know everything that happened wasn't intentional. I trust you, Amelia and I'm glad I was able to come and stop Eric before he went all the way. Once you're sobered up and we talk, we'll go back to Isabel's. I know she's going to need you." You have no idea how much she's going to need you. Wait until you find out what she thinks happened.

The Night Before

Isabel
Everything regarding the announcement was set and ready to go. It would happen after Dawson finished riding, and hopefully he would win. I was hoping he did so that he could be over the moon about both the win and the newest addition to our family. I was excited for it, but even if I couldn't drink, I promised to spend my time with Amelia who did want to drink.

Knowing Amelia was drunk, I had texted Jayden asking him if he could come and take her home. I knew it would be best if she didn't stay after the announcement because of the state she was in, but I also knew she wanted to stay for the reveal. I wanted her to stay too, considering she was a major part of the planning, but what actually occurred before I could even make it out to the pin was something that didn't make sense until the most innocent child helped make everything make sense.

Before I could drag Amelia over to the ring, I noticed someone that made my blood grow cold. The fuck is he doing here? Eric, Amelia's ex-boyfriend, was here at the rodeo, eyeing my best friend like if she was some piece of meat. Maybe it was because of the hormones, but I grew angry. I didn't know what he was planning to do but I knew it wasn't going to be good. That's why when it all unfolded, all I could see was the color red, and the only person that was able to stop me was Brett, Dawson's cousin.

Eric kissed Amelia, and because of the state Amelia was in, she kissed back. I felt panic soar through me because I wasn't sure what to do, but my heart dropped when I looked over and caught a glance of Jayden. He saw. Fuck. I saw the fury in Jayden's eyes, and when I heard what Eric had to say, I rolled my eyes. He was bullshitting, I knew that, even despite the fucking pictures he had to prove he and Amelia were in a "relationship". In the heat of the moment, I lost Amelia and Eric. The only person standing next to me was Jayden. I knew he was hurt in many ways. I didn't know how to help, all I could do was reassure him Amelia and Eric had been broken up before Jayden and Amelia tried to be together again.

"Jayden you have to trust me. Amelia is drunk, and I know that doesn't excuse her behavior, but please. I know she would never do this. I know this wasn't intentional. I don't know how or why Eric is here but he's lying. Amelia tells me everything! I wouldn't let her have two relationships going on at once. You know her. You know she wouldn't do this." Thankfully, Jayden was able to calm down and believe me, but we lost sight of Amelia. I didn't know where she was but I did remember I had her location. "Okay, now that you're calmer, please go find her. Please. I don't know where she's going or who she's with but I'm worried she's with Eric. I don't even want to know what he has planned if she is."

Jayden agreed to go save Amelia from Eric. We went back to where Lincoln was, with Dawson's parents, since the younger family members stayed there, he had kids to play with. We stayed there for a bit, and the reveal was about to happen shortly. I would've been there for when it did but I was too angry when Lincoln gave me a revelation to even care about it. He waved at Josie when she walked over, which threw me off because I never introduced them before and I knew Dawson didn't either. Squatting down, I whispered to Lincoln, asking him how he knew her. What he said made everything make sense. "I saw her talking to Amelia when we were at the ranch! She seemed really nice. Amelia was giggling a lot so their conversation must have been really nice. Plus, when I went over to talk to Amelia, she gave me a lollipop! I like her."

Excusing myself, I asked Josie if we could talk in private for a moment. I didn't care that Dawson's parents heard me because right now, I was too pissed to give a damn. When she agreed, she should've known that was a big mistake, because I wasn't going to hold back.

Once we were alone is when everything started to blur out for me. "You're a bitch! I know damn well you're the reason Eric was here. Amelia and Eric have not been together since they broke up and I know this because I'm her best friend!" I pushed her and she pushed back. I pushed back harder and didn't care.

"You can't prove shit, Isabel." I heard her hiss. That's when I pushed her against the wall, wanting to cause more damage but I was pulled away by muscular arms. Fuck. It's Dawson. It was in fact not Dawson, it was Brett, his cousin. I could hear him trying to get me to stop and calm down but I couldn't. Brett and I had become super close over the year of Dawson and I dating. I know he was here to protect Josie from me.

"I swear to god, you're a fucked up bitch, Josie! Lincoln told me you were talking to Amelia today. I know her well enough to know she was drunk way before we got here. She told you about Eric and now you used that against her!"

"Isabel, calm down. You can't prove that." I heard Brett say but it only fueled my furry.

"No, I can and I will. Fuck you, Josie!" Brett continued to pull me away but who I saw next made my heart drop. I saw Dawson from a distance but I wasn't sure how much he saw. I gasped when we made eye contact, getting out of Brett's hold before I walked back to Jayden and Lincoln. Before I could, I saw the only man who held my heart the way he did rush to Josie, looking over her. I caught a glimpse of her over exaggerating her injuries, but after that I didn't care to see anymore. Of course he went to check on her first. Fuck him. Fuck everyone. I wish Dawson and I never met. I was sure Dawson saw the reveal but I didn't care. I didn't care about anything anymore.

I left the rodeo as soon as I could. I left with Lincoln holding my hand, avoiding Dawson as we walked to my car. When we got in, I had to keep my composure. Jayden went to the hotel Amelia was at to protect her while Lincoln and I went back to my apartment. After that nothing else happened. No call from Dawson, no text. Nothing from Jayden either. I simply put Lincoln to bed then went to my own room, crying silently as I felt my world falling apart. I lost Dawson. I was pregnant. I came to terms I was going to be a single mom but I blamed myself for everything that happened tonight. If Dawson and I had never met, Josie wouldn't have been trying to tear us apart. Jayden and Amelia wouldn't be in the situation they were if I hadn't met him.

I wish I could go back in time and warn myself. With that thought, I fell asleep in a dark sleep.

Last edited:
Amelia
Groaning, I shielded my flushed face from the penetrating sunlight with the duvet, letting myself wallow in my misery by letting a few tears fall. I knew last night was bad, but I was about to discover just how much of a nightmare it was for everyone involved. Assuming I was alone, I gasped when I heard Jayden's voice and felt his presence over me. You're here. Why? I didn't remember much of last night at this point, I just had a feeling the two of us were not on good terms. but I was too lost in myself to recollect why. I wanted to refuse his efforts to take care of me, I knew if I was upset with him I must have had a reason, meaning I should have kept my angry front towards him, but I was in too much pain to be stubborn. Groaning again, I slowly sat up, shielding my face with my free hand while I took the medication from Jayden with another. That's when it set in something horrendous had to occur if Jayden was taking care of me despite the fact we were fighting. You don't deserve him, stupid.

Once I took whatever it was, he gave me, I laid back down again, my eyes closed, I focused on my breathing and got a faint taste of what I knew to be my own vomit in the back of my throat. That's when I remembered the part of the night I spent on the cold bathroom floor with Jayden hunched over me, making sure I didn't choke while I laid over the toilet almost projectile vomiting everything that was in my stomach that day. Oh God. The memory was almost enough to make me throw up again, but my weak body told me I had nothing left to give.

Feeling the guilt eat at me, I was about to profusely apologize to Jayden for whatever the hell I did to upset him, by my one memory, he had every right to be angry with me. But he filled the silence first and I really wish he hadn't.

Hearing Isabel begged him to trust me wasn't enough to cause concern, she always defended me, even when she shouldn't. What sent my stomach into my throat, making me start throwing up the water I assumed Jayden had me drinking all night, was what he said next.

I know everything that happened wasn't intentional. I trust you, Amelia and I'm glad I was able to come and stop Eric before he went all the way. Once you're sobered up and we talk, we'll go back to Isabel's. I know she's going to need you.

Eric? Why the fuck was he talking about Eric? What did he mean we almost went all the way? Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

That's when the memory came back to me. Me pinned against the wall pleading for him to stop, me far too drunk for him to take seriously, What I perceived to be adamant refusals to him were child-like no's that could be disregarded as he continued to play with me. But how in the hell did he get here? I thought as I struggled to catch my breath, the blankets now soaked in regurgitated water and stomach bile. Just the thought of that man touching me, made me physically sick. In the middle of my gagging, I began to cry helplessly at the thought of how last night could have gone so wrong. It was supposed to be a fun night, Isabel was making the announcement she and Dawson were going to be parents, there should have been no drinking involved, Why would I drink if Isabel couldn't? I didn't have the answer but I sure as hell was paying for it now. Throwing myself into a panic, I was relieved when I felt Jayden pick me up and carry me to the shower where the hot water soaked my skin while I looked at him helplessly. In my tears, I said the only thing I could think to say right now, even though I knew it wasn't enough.

"I'm so sorry, Jayden."

Now, feeling completely weak and worthless, all I wanted was what I didn't deserve, Jayden's comfort, but I knew better than to expect it after everything I put him through. I never wanted to drink again.

Dawson
The whole scene was so chaotic, I still don't know what happened first hand. What I knew about last night was the bits and pieces I was left to put together from other witnesses, and honestly, none of it made sense. It wasn't like Amelia to get completely shit-faced in public, or ever. She was the last person I would have expected to cause a scene. For as long as I knew her, besides avoiding Jayden in the beginning, she was the poster-child for responsibility and morals and I knew better to think she would want to get as blackout drunk after she flew Lincoln out for the rodeo. Something was wrong, but I wasn't sure what it was exactly. This wasn't what the night was supposed to turn into, really, me riding in the rodeo was a setup to ask Isabel to marry me.

I spent a month planning the whole thing, making it believable that I would actually want to ride again after years of leaving the saddle empty. I knew I had to take the plan slow, if I didn't, Isabel would become too suspicious and I wanted to surprise her. Amelia knew that that's why her drunken state was even more perplexing.

What I witnessed on my own was the backend of Isabel's plan before it became insignificant. I saw the pony and the blue and pink balloons, and for a moment, our life together felt so unbelievably right it hurt. She had idea what I myself had planned for the night but seeing her with Josie pinned against a barrel and Brett trying to protect my friend from Isabel's fury, I knew the night had a sudden discourse.

Seeing Josie lay her hands on Isabel is what set me off. Running towards her, I didn't spare my anger for her this time. In the past when the two would argue, my best intentions were to keep things civil between Josie and I, we were friends and I didn't want to ruin that. But that thought went to shit when I saw her try to get violent with the woman who was now carrying my child.

"What in the hell Josie?! Keep your fucking hands off of her! This is childish and it needs to stop. Do you hear me? Get the hell out of here before I remove you myself!" The anger in my voice boomed, the veins on the side of my neck protruded so far out I could feel them pulsating I was pissed. Watching Isabel storm out with Lincoln only made it worse.

I couldn't bring myself to face Isabel again until the next morning because I still didn't understand what all happened and I knew she needed time to let her anger simmer. I didn't even text Jayden to ask his side of the story. I heard from Brett he was pissed because of what Amelia did. I assumed he meant how drunk she got since that's what my mom told me. Though when she did, it pushed me the wrong way when she called Amelia distasteful for her behavior.

One thing I knew for certain, I needed to make things right with Isabel. Especially since Amelia was involved in some way, those two knew how to stick together when it mattered and I feared if Jayden and I didn't play our cards right, somehow, we would lose them both over something we weren't even directly involved in. In short, it was all one giant, heap of southern drama and it was messy.

Stepping out onto Isabel's patio, I felt her words pierce through me but I took it like the Navy man I was. I was trained to conceal emotion in times of distress, though when it came to Isabel, her unhappiness always stirred the pit of my stomach and made me want to drop to my knees. This is love. I thought while I inched closer hesitantly, not caring so much about the spontaneous downpour. I wanted her to know I was sorry, even though I didn't know quite yet what to be sorry for. Taking her hands, I brought her up from the chair, cupping her cheeks with my blistered hands from holding the reins too hard, I kissed her in a way I hoped touched her soul. The kiss felt long, but not long enough in my opinion and when we pulled away, I brought her head to the fold of my arm and squeezed her, not too hard, while I kissed her head.

"I came to congratulate you, momma," I said in a whisper bringing my hand to her stomach. I needed this moment before all hell broke loose. Letting the silence linger for a second, I enjoyed our moment of peace before I had to man up and bring us back to reality.

"And for you to tell me what the hell is going on because I have not the slightest idea and I want to help. Please help me to understand, Isabel."

Jayden
I know I should be mad at Amelia because of everything that occurred. Trust me, I wanted to be. Knowing she kissed Eric back, watching it all, then getting in here before he could go all the way with MY girlfriend was enough to piss me off. Trust me, I was more than pissed, but as I sat on the bed and watched Amelia sleep last night, all before I helped her to the bathroom, holding her hair so I knew she wouldn't choke on her own vomit, I realized my anger stemmed from how much I loved her. Yes, Jayden. You love her. You love this woman with all your heart.

I wasn't sure what was running through Amelia's mind from the moment she woke up, but what I did know is that she was probably thinking pretty negatively about the entire event. I didn't know if she remember much of anything, but despite my anger, I wanted to be there for her through this. I know she needed me, and like Dawson, I realized I could lose Amelia today over something Isabel is set on blaming Josie for. Yes, Josie didn't forced Amelia and Eric to kiss, but I could've stopped her from leaving the rodeo with him. I was just too livid to even think about doing that.

We all messed up in one way or another last night. It was truly something you would see in a daytime drama on TV. It still blew my mind knowing it all happened, but it did and now we had to work through it.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I began to hear Amelia gagging. I was quick to jump up and help her. I always hated seeing her in pain and I knew she needed me. I hated hearing her cry, but seeing her in so much pain physically and mentally sent me into overdrive. I rushed to the bathroom, starting a warm shower for her, before I walked back to the room and picked her up, carrying her to the shower. I slowly and carefully helped her strip out of the clothes she was wearing, smiling gently at her to ease her tension. I wanted her to relax before we talked about anything that happened last night. Once she was stripped all of her clothing, I helped her into the shower, looking at her softly when I heard her apologize. She may have thought it wasn’t enough, but it was. I loved her and in this moment, helping her shower by filling the bath tub with water and soap, having her sit down, I knew I did wholeheartedly.

"Shh, Amelia. It's okay. Are you feeling okay? Do you need anything?" I asked her softly, getting the complimentary soap and lathering it in my hands before I began to wash her hair, smiling as I saw her relax instantly. I didn't want to fight. I wanted to talk this out like adults. I didn't want to lose her. Once I finished washing her hair, I grabbed the shower head and rinsed it out, making sure no soap went into her eyes. When our eyes met, my smile never faded. It was genuine and as I gazed into her beautiful eyes, I realized how intimate this moment was. I want to marry you.

Leaning forward, I cupped her face with my right hand, smiling gently at her as her soaked hair stuck to her face. "You're absolutely beautiful, Amelia." I whispered to her, kissing her with nothing but love and compassion, holding it for as long as we possibly could. In that moment, despite all the fucked up shit that happened last night, I knew I could forgive her. The woman I loved was someone I wanted to marry, and I would.

Isabel
I know I said I wish Dawson and I never met. I know I held so much anger towards him because of Josie, because he was so set on keeping the peace between us instead of putting her in her place. For as long as Dawson and I were together, Josie would be around, and I couldn't see myself living life that way. Lord only knew what his parents thought of Amelia and I now. I probably proved I was one of the worst kinds of South Texans. I proved I didn't deserve the beautiful Covington man that stole my heart.

All of that disappeared the moment I felt his touch, standing when he pulled me up. I felt the blisters in his hands that I could only assume were there because of his ride last night. I didn't even know if he won. I didn't care to know at this point. All I could think about was how close he and I were, now gazing into each others eyes.

I was quick to close my eyes when I felt his lips on mine, pushing back the tears that threatened to fall. The kiss evoked so much emotion that it made my heart ache. This, this I needed. I needed him, Dawson Nicolas Covington, my everything. It wasn't until we pulled away, me now in his comforting arms, did I let the tears fall. I cried silently against his chest as he kissed my head, my right hand overlapping his when he placed his against my stomach. He was congratulating me. Knowing he did caused me to cry even more, but I tried to get myself to stop when he brought us back to reality. I wished we could have stayed like that longer, letting the rain fall against our bodies, the silence doing all the talking, just breathing and being in each others presence so that everything remained peaceful. Life wasn't meant to stay that way, and now that I needed to explain what happened, I wasn't sure how he was going to take it. I could lose him. That moment full of peace and love could very well be our last.

"Thank you, Dawson." I whispered gently, responding to his congratulations. I wish I could've been there to see his reaction. I wish everything would've gone to plan but as long as Josie was in the picture, she would never let Dawson and I be happy. I took what was supposed to be hers. She hated me and wanted me gone. That much I knew.

I released a deep breath before I sat back down, hunching over my knees as the events of last night flashed in my mind. I needed to tell him, no matter how he would react. He needed to know. "A lot happened last night." I began, sitting up straight so that I could look out at the skyline for some form of comfort while I explained everything. So that's what I did. I explained how Amelia got drunk, but she had to have gotten drunk way before the rodeo. I told him that Lincoln mentioned Amelia and Josie had been talking while everyone else was admiring the ranch. I told him how this is what made me believe Eric being here, in Texas at the rodeo, was Josie's doing. If she got Amelia drunk, I knew damn well my best friend probably spilled personal information that Josie shouldn't have known. I explained the events of the rodeo, how Amelia took some shots but I was with her so it was okay, up until Eric showed up with flowers, kissed Amelia and told her to leave Jayden and stop living a double life. How he claimed they spent the night together, but I knew they didn't because Amelia was here, at my apartment, with Jayden and Lincoln watching movies. It all led up to Jayden and I letting Amelia leave with Eric in the chaos of everything, how I went to get Lincoln and how he told me about Josie and Amelia talking when Josie came back. Finally, I ended it with saying I asked to speak to Josie in private, and that's when it got physical because I knew Eric being here had to be her doing.

"I get it, it seems like I'm just targeting Josie because of how much we dislike each other, but I stand by what I said last night. I know she did it. I know she did this because she wants us to separate. I get that she's your friend, Dawson. I could never ask you to end your friendship with her but she wants more and it's obvious she does by attacking me with my own weakness, which is Amelia." I didn't dare look at Dawson as I continued. "I get that I'm nothing like everyone from your childhood, She doesn't have to constantly remind me of that every time she sees me. I never grew up on a ranch, I never rode a horse, never bred them either. I'm a South Texan from Corpus Christi, Texas. I'm a journalist, someone who wants to travel the world and tell as many stories as I can for those who can't. I'm different, and I get it. What I want in life scares people." By now, I was crying. "And I get that you just don't date a Covington man. I get your parents chose Josie for you way before I was even in the picture. She reminds me of this every time y'all are together. This, what you and I have, was supposed to be what you and her had, and that's why she's so upset. I never have, and never will care about your last name, you know that. I never cared what being a Covington meant for you because that's not something I care about. I love you for you, Dawson. The man I got to know and love, but I'm sorry I can't make your friends and family happy. I'm sorry I'm not who they wanted you to be with. We can end this. Right here, right now. I'll give you custody of our child. You'll get to see him or her whenever you want. I'm not afraid of raising it alone. I'm strong enough to do it and I will if that's what it comes down to." I had to stop myself from saying anything else. Because of the tears and feeling my heart ache, breaking at the thought of Dawson leaving me, I knew I was just rambling at this point. If he gets mad at you for blaming Josie, that proves he doesn't believe you. If he doesn't believe you, well then just end it all, Anes. You're strong enough to do this alone.

Amelia
When I apologized I didn’t expect anything good to come out of it. Rather, I expected Jayden to leave me here in the shower to soak by myself while he continued to work through his own anger from my poor choices. I was beating myself up over the fact I let myself go to far. Being the woman that I was, I held myself to a higher standard, one near perfection, and as unrealistic as I knew it was, this human moment, made me feel like a complete failure. I couldn’t understand why Jayden didn’t just walk away from it all.

Looking into his eyes, I saw something in them change after I apologized, the blue tint of his pupils seemed to gleam and his tone of voice was softer. He forgave you in one breath. You really don’t deserve this man.

The scene between us had changed drastically in a matter of moments and I didn’t know how to react to his nurturing. It shocked me. I just sat there in silence, counting the number of breaths I took while he lathered and rinsed my stringy dark hair. I heard him ask me something but I was too transfixed on how gentle he was being to pay attention to what he was saying. That’s when our eyes met again, both of us coming back to the same reality if only for a moment to share this second between us.

Hearing him call me beautiful, I wanted to cry but I held it together because I needed to gain my composure. I was a strong woman and I wasn’t going to let one night ruin what I thought of myself. Or at least I was trying.

Jayden had a way of finding me in my worst human moments and making me feel at ease. I didn’t want to believe having a miscarriage, having my apartment almost broken into or getting almost blackout drunk was okay, but the way he handled me at my worst, I didn’t feel as guilty for not being perfect.

When he kissed me I wasn’t thinking and pulled him towards me, but he caught himself before he fell into the tub. Unable to hold back my laugh, I apologized again before I put my head into his chest, my head still throbbing.

“Jayden, I love you, only you. Please believe me. I need you to believe me. You’re the only good thing that’s ever happened to me. I’m sorry,” I pleaded again, breaking down again. I knew we needed to talk about last night, but I didn’t want to, I wanted my apology to be enough and for us to live in these moments of bliss. I wanted to soak in his attention a little longer before I had to make things right with everyone else who was affected by one of the worst nights of my life.

Now, I was in a hotel room that I was going to share with another man who was going to force me to have sex with him, with no clothes because I threw up all over mine, begging the one man I actually loved to forgive me for some things I knew I didn’t even remember, but I knew I probably didn’t want to either. All I knew was, as awful as this was, as long as Jayden was here, everything would be okay.

Dawson

Listening to Isabel, the fury I had towards Josie reignited like a strong ember from a dying flame. There was no way in hell I was going to let anyone make Isabel feel any lesser than what she was. There was no reason for her to feel any less than extraordinary because that’s what she was.

Catching the clot in my throat, I rubbed my eyes before I looked up to the woman I loved. If only you knew I wanted to marry you, not end things with you but now isn’t the time. I want the moment to be special. There’s nothing special about trying to get you to forgive me with a ring. That’s not the story I want to tell our kids.

“What are you talking about end this? We’re not ending this. That’s what she wants. The baby deserves better, and for the record, what makes you different is what I find remarkable about you. You think I want our son to have a mother who doesn’t know what the real world is like? Someone stuck in this centuries-old bubble. No, he’s going to have a badass mom who makes his dad look like a chicken. All I do is ride horses and fly planes. You run across continents like it’s nothing, Saving people from war and famine. You’re incredible, my love, you’re more than any of us could be.”

Leaning in I kissed her forehead, rubbing her cheeks with my thumbs. We treated the rain like it was nonexistent.

“I’ll fix this, okay?” I whispered through the water. “Leave it to me."

Jayden
The moment Amelia and I shared was breath taking. It was so intimate and I never wanted it to end. I prayed it didn't. Smiling gently at the love of my life, I laughed when she practically pulled me into the tub with her. I was able to stop myself from falling all the way in, but when she put her head on my chest, I released a gentle sigh and held her. I listened to her apology, although I wished she would stop apologizing. "You don't need to keep apologizing, Amelia." I whispered to her softly, smiling at her while I pulled away and cupped her face once more, rubbing her cheeks with my thumbs. I'm going to marry you.

What happened next, I didn't stop myself. I knew Lincoln was going to be fine with Isabel. I wanted to savor this time alone with Amelia. I didn't want to go back to reality just yet. "Shh, my love. I believe you. Was I angry at first? Yes, I was, but everything is going to be fine. We can get through this together because I'm not going anywhere, Amelia. You're stuck with me, forever, because I'm going to marry you." I told her with a bright expression, wiping her tears when I saw them fall. "Don't cry, love." I kissed her again full of passion and love until we pulled away again. "Let's spend some time alone, just you and I this summer. I know Isabel wouldn't mind watching Lincoln for us but I think we deserve it, don't you? Tell me where you want to go and I'll make it happen." I meant that with all my heart. A vacation was everything I needed right now. After what happened, I needed time to just be one on one with the woman I loved.

I know Amelia and I have gone through a lot. I don't want anyone else than her. She's the light on my darkest days. She is the only one to ever make me as happy as I am now. She has made the world make sense. She's such a genuine soul, a beautiful one. She has touched so many people, helped so many of them, and knows so much about the world that I am more than thrilled to make her my wife. I want to keep living life with her, raise Lincoln with her. I want to continue showing her how she should and always be treated. I want to be the one she comes to when she's upset or happy. I want to watch her grow and be there every step of the way. That I knew and I can't believe it took this crazy southern drama to prove that to me. I never want to lose you, Amelia.

Isabel
I wasn't expecting Dawson to react the way he did. In honesty, I was shocked. I knew he genuinely meant it when he said he was going to take care of everything. I knew I could trust him, but I think him not wanting to end it all, despite getting into a fight with his best friend. I didn't know what to say, but I was able to smile gently before I nodded in response, releasing a sigh I didn't even know I was holding.

"Thank you, Dawson. I love you. I need you to know that. I'm sorry I pushed Josie. I'm sorry I let her push my buttons enough to cause such a horrible reaction. I'm also sorry if your family finds me distasteful." I whispered softly, biting my lip as I met his stunning hazel eyes. "I want nothing more than for us to live our lives together. I'm sorry the reveal was such a mess. It would've been so much better if all this drama didn't happen." Releasing a laugh, I leaned in to kiss him again, not realizing that I was now sitting in his lap, not caring about anyone around us, or the rain that continued to relentlessly soak us. I didn't even hear the cars honking none stop with the arising traffic. All I could focus on was Dawson and I. This moment that felt so surreal.

Pulling away, my breath was taken away. I rested my forehead against his as I closed my eyes. I was leaned in for a countless kiss, not pulling away until I absolutely had to once more. This time, I pulled away completely and stood up. I was getting cold from the rain. "Care to join me inside or are y'all cleaning up the fair grounds?" I asked him curiously, walking back inside. I went to grab a towel and tossed him one with a smile. "You have some clothes in the room." I told him with a wink, walking to my room so that I could get out of my soaked clothes and change. Once in my room, I was quick to throw off my wet clothes, wrapping the towel around myself and tucking it at the top so it wouldn't fall, with another in my hair to dry it. When I walked out of my closet, I smiled when I saw Dawson. "Do you want a girl or boy?" I asked him curiously, going to my vanity so I could clean my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back