• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Isabel
I was enjoying all the attention I was receiving from all the boys in my life. I always said I didn't like when people bought me gifts but I loved being spoiled by the right people. Plus, being here after spending a weekend in the valley over the border and in the U.S. was more than something I craved. Everything I saw while out on assignment always made me grateful for the life I was given. I wanted to continue being the voice for those who needed it but these assignments were slowly becoming harder to face.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I smiled gently at all the men, sitting down on the couch after Dawson took the gifts from me so I could give Apollo the attention he wanted. My pupper was getting pretty up their in age but he was the best dog I could ever ask for and he loved Mateo. That was always a plus.

Scratching behind the Maltipoos ear, I looked over at my boyfriend and son while they continued what they were doing before I came in. I savored the scene.

"Laredo treated me well, Amor. There's no asses that you have to kick. The food reminded me of home and the people were ever so friendly. The story went smoother than most but my hearts break for my sources. I'm almost done with the story. I just have to make some final adjustments to the story itself and then edit the photos and it should run soon." Change the subject. "How was your weekend? The shows still as good as ever? I was thinking of making it out to the one here with Mateo next week since I'll be in town."

Dawson
"They've been alright, I don't think they've been the same since we lost our beloved photographer, but if you want to come, I'll set the tickets aside. Let me know if you want to bring anyone else or if it's just going to be the two of you. What do you want for dinner, love?" I asked before Mateo interrupted with his need for his mother's attention. Crawling into her lap and wrapping his arms around her neck while he gave her his own kisses.

Mateo
"I missed you, momma! Pwlease don't leave again! I missed you soooo much like, this much! Holding out his arms as far as they would go, the toddler erupted in giggles "Let's play with truck, mama por favor! Running for his toy box the toddler pulled out his favorite race track and the two cars it came with. "You can have this one, they go super fast! See!" Setting the red car at the top of the track Mateo let go and watched excitedly as it raced down the spiral-shaped track Dawson created for him. "See Mama See! Your turn."
Amelia
After lunch, Jayden and little Bel were still out, so I had the house to myself. Taking off my heels by the door, I greeted both Liberty and Roo as they skidded down the hall to greet me.

"Hello babies, are you taking good care of the house?" I asked cheerfully, walking into the living room with them trailing at my feet. Taking off my jacket, I Iaid it over the couch, setting my purse on the couch next to it.

Sighing contently, I had just begun to process what I just finished doing and I couldn't break the giddy grin from my face.

You're back in the game. You're allowed to be excited about it.

Turning on the TV I opened my Spotify and played my old college playlist, singing the lyrics to 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton while twirling into the kitchen where I started making lemon cookies from scratch.

Isabel
I rolled my eyes playfully when Dawson mentioned the shows not being the same since I was no longer around to photograph the shows. That was a time we hardly spoke about, mainly because of what actually happened. As much as I knew that was beyond unethical, I still didn't regret it because I was able to get my wonderful boyfriend and son out of it. Smiling at Dawson, I was going to respond before my son quickly found his way into my lap like he usually did. He wanted my attention and I was going to give it to him because I knew he hated when I was gone.

"Osito, calmate. I'll play with you, go grab everything," I told him after receiving his abundance of kisses and while he ran off, I smiled at Dawson. "I'll ask Amelia if her and Bel want to go so I'll get back to you on that. As for dinner, I don't really know. Surprise me?"

After responding to Dawson, I smiled at my son and took the car he offered me before kneeling down on the floor to race mine against his. "I can't have the red one, Mateo? It's my favorite color." I guilt tripped my son after his car won the first round. I laughed shortly after though because he was quick to deny my request. He really is mine and Dawsons son.

"Is there anything you're craving for dinner, Osito?" I asked him to see if he could offer any ideas.

"No, Momma. I'll eat anything!" He said excitedly with an infectious giggle before he got my attention back on our current race.

"Can you make me some sangria though?" I called out to Dawson while racing Mateo. Eventually, his laughs and squeals filled the room because I now had him in my lap giving his kisses all over his face and neck in a playful manner.

Jayden
I was enjoying my lunch date with my daughter, especially because she and I hadn't been spending much time together. She loved being with her mom most of the time but today I was glad Isabel took Amelia out because my wife deserved that and I was going to spend this time with my daughter. We went to her favorite restaurant, one that she said had the best chicken tenders in all of Dallas, emphasis on all. Now, since I knew Amelia took the offer with the Dallas Morning News (courtesy of Isabel), I decided Bel and I could go pick out a congratulations gift for her.

"This one Daddy!" Bel said excitedly while she stared through a glass showcase full of jewelry. I knew Amelia wasn't the biggest fan but she deserved another pair of earring considering Bel lost the only simple and real pair my wife had and wore every now and then.

"Okay Love Bug. We'll take those ones for mommy then."

When we arrived home, Bel was quick to run inside and hand over the congratulations gift to her mother. She was stopped by Liberty and Roo first and I couldn't help but laugh when my daughter shooed them away in an annoyed manner. When I was greeted with the smell of lemon, I hummed contentedly, my mouth watering instantly at the thought of Amelia making cookies. I loved when she baked, even if it didn't happen often.

Little Bel
The minute we got home, I ran straight through the dorm and into the kitchen where I found my mom, hugging her knees while I laughed. I missed spending the day with my mom but it was still fun being with dad! He took me to my favorite restaurant that had the best chicken strips and milkshakes! I was just happy to be home with mom and give her the pretty earrings we picked out for her~

"Hi Mommy! I missed you!" I said with a bright smile. Looking at the oven curiously, I saw cookies inside them. "Are you baking?! What are you making?! Can I have some?!"

I loved when mom baked! She made the best cookies and cakes and she did it all from scratch! It was one of my favorite things to help her with. I just liked eating the batter.

Jayden
I laughed softly at my daughters eagerness over the fact that her mother was baking. I wasn't the only one who enjoyed whatever Amelia whipped up and since she didn't have much time to bake with her already busy schedule, it was a rarity we all came to enjoy. Walking up behind Amelia, I wrapped my arms around her waist after Bel let her mother go and became more fascinated by what was baking in the oven. Kissing Amelia's neck gently, I smiled at her before kissing her again.

"Hi Vix, we missed ya. How was lunch with Isabel?" I asked her before releasing her and reached over to the platter that already had cookies made, snatching one and eating it with a playful grin. "These taste lovely."

"Daddy!" Little Bel said when she realized what I stole. "I asked for one first!" Chuckling, I grabbed another and handed it over to my daughter, shaking my head when she quickly said thank you and ran off, taking the gift bag with her. Well, I guess we'll give that to Amelia later.

"Congratulations by the way. Isabel told me you took it. I'm so proud of you." I added. "Bel and I got you a congratulations gift but she ran off with it."

The ever so attentive Liberty and Roo made their way into the kitchen then, wanting attention. I chuckled at the two again but I rubbed the back of their ears before giving them one of their treats and watched them run off to play with Bel. It was like having three children at once with Bel and two dogs.

Dawson
"I suppose I can do that," I replied heading off to the kitchen. Returning a few minutes later with Isabel's drink in hand. "For you, my love," By now Mateo was already bored of his race track and moved on to playing with Apollo who didn't seem too interested but played along so Mateo wouldn't continue to pester him.

"When's your next day off, love. I want to steal you away for the day. Do something we haven't done in a while if that's okay with you. I want to make it up to you after the last couple of weeks."

Amelia
Giggling at the sound of my daughter's boots pound against the floor. Wrapping my arm around her when she latched onto herself onto me.

"Hi, Baby Girl. I missed you too. Did you have fun with daddy?" Turning toward Jayden, I rolled my eyes playfully when he kissed me on the neck. He knew I hated that when we weren't alone. I could tell within the first three minutes of my daughter being home she reached her sugar capacity and it was only a matter of time before she had a meltdown and crashed.

"No more sugar!" I exclaimed before she ran off with the dogs at her heels.

Turning back toward Jayden, I sighed. "You didn't have to do that but thank you. How was lunch?"

Isabel
It felt good to be home with my boys, even more so because the minute I walked in Dawson was taking care of everything. It was odd but I was going to soak it in and take it as far as I could. Maybe I can get some action tonight.

Taking the drink from Dawson, I thanked him while I continued relaxing on our couch, sipping the red sangria and humming contently. I was more than appreciative he knew how to make drinks the way I liked them. My interest was piqued however when he asked me about my next day off. We hadn't spent a day together in quite sometime but now I was giddy and couldn't wait.

"My next day off is Thursday. Why love? What did you have in mind?" I asked him curiously, sipping on the glass of sangria again. "Are we talking like a day getaway? Who's going to watch Mateo?"

Jayden
"Of course we did, Amelia plus Bel was more than excited to help me pick it out," I said with a chuckle, stealing another cookie for myself before letting Amelia finish baking. "Lunch was great. We went to her favorite spot for her chicken tenders and then I may have taken her to Val's Cheesecake where we shared one. She's very sugar spiked right now, sorry about that."

Finishing off the lemon cookie, I smiled contently. "The cookies are great like always. What did you and Isabel go eat after all? Let Bel and I take you out for dinner later?"

Dawson
"More like a night getaway, but we can turn it into an all day thing if you're into that. My mom said she would watch Mateo for the day, He's excited to get to spend the day with his grandparents. My dad wants to get him his own horse soon that he can grow into, but I told him he would have to take that up with you at the next family dinner. So are we on for Thursday?"

Amelia
"Well then you can deal with her when she doesn't take her nap today," I replied gently before I stole a kiss on the lips. "We went to our usual spot but I was just going to cook something since you already took her out for the day, I don't want the princess getting used to it. It sounds to me like her dad has spoiled her enough today. But if you want to take over chef duties, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'll keep my fingers crossed your phone doesn't ring."

Isabel
A night getaway? Interesante. I couldn't possibly figure out what or why Dawson wanted to go out on Thursday but I wasn't opposed to the idea. Considering I thought we were drifting, I felt like this was the best time for us to be alone and with each other so we could possibly rekindle what we had going.

"We don't have to love, I was just asking. A night getaway is fine. Do I get a hint on what we're doing?" I asked too hopeful, knowing he wouldn't say a single thing. But when I realized Dawson said his father wanted to get Mateo a horse to grow into, my anxiety immediately spiked up as I envisioned that. Biting my lip, I shook my head. "I don't think I'm ready for Mateo to do that. Not yet, I just- I don't know," I said with a worried voice but calmed my nerves. "But it is something we can discuss. As for Thursday, yes, I'm all yours."

Jayden
I grinned at Amelia when she stole a quick kiss from me before continuing what she was doing. I let out a sheepish chuckle as I thought about the hell Isabel was going to raise when it came time for her nap and she wasn't for it. That was definitely my fault considering all the sugar I let her consume today. Whoops. She def has you wrapped around her little finger.

I noted that Amelia wasn't opposed to me taking over dinner duties so I was going to do just that. As much as I would much rather take the girls out for dinner, I knew Amelia was right and I understood why she didn't like doing that so much with Bel. We had talked about it in the past and I completely respected my wife for wanting to make sure our child grew up more than humble and not spoiled.

"Okay then I'll handle dinner. Are there any special requests that you would like for me to whip up tonight?" I asked her softly before grabbing a water from the fridge and chugging half of it quickly. I sighed softly when she made a remark about my phone ringing. I wished it didn't myself. "I know love. Hopefully I'll have the night to spend with you but lets not think about that. Let's just enjoy the night."

Amelia
"I wouldn't count on it. You haven't been home past eight in two weeks. I just want you to myself," I whispered, kissing his jaw this time before our daughter called me away. "Surprise me for dinner. But make sure some vegetable is present, I'm sure our daughter hasn't had any today."

Much to my embarrassment, I turned into that mother. But it was to compensate for all the motherly things I lacked as a child. I wanted my daughter to have the opposite childhood from what I had, while still raising her to be a decent human being who cared for all walks of life, even those different from her.

A few hours later, Jayden started his mission of finishing dinner and I was curled up on the couch with our daughter in the couch blanket while we watched the live version of Beauty and the Beast. Little Bel had her apple juice and me my wine, and Liberty and Roo laid out our feet. I was fully engrossed in the movie until Liberty lifting her head and scampered off to Jayden on the other side of the room, now dressed in full uniform.

"Nooooooooo" I protested playfully, whining at the sight. I really was hoping Jayden would get off free just for tonight.

Well, there went my plans for after Bel went to bed.

Jayden
The phone rang right after I had finished making our dinner which consisted of chicken breasts, broccoli and rice. I liked to eat my chicken with Cream of Chicken but considering I was just called into work, I knew I wasn't going to have time to eat anything. I let out a deep sigh as I walked to the room to get dressed, walking back out in full uniform, kneeling when Liberty made her way over to me so I could put on her vest. She was a more than well-trained K-9 and knew it was our time to go even if the both of us didn't want to.

"I know, Vix, I don't want to go just as much as you don't want me to," I said softly, smiling when Bel finally looked at us and began to pout herself. "I just finished dinner, it's all on the stove. I'll see y'all when I get back from work."

I gave Bel a kiss on the forehead and leaned over to give Amelia a gentle and loving kiss on her lips. I was really hoping I would've been able to spend the night with Amelia. I need a vacation with my Vixen.

"I love you. If you soak the pans I'll wash them when I get back," With that, I stood up and called out to Lib, hooking her leash to her collar and leading her out of the house and to our SUV.

I don't want to go into work.

Officer Stevenson
"Acciolli, glad you're here, we need the dog to search the residence, the suspect is a well-known dealer in the area and we need to pick up anything we missed. It should be an exciting evening for ya. Whatever you can find is fair game for the prosecution so be as thorough as possible, the longer we can put this guy away the less of a headache he'll be for all of us."

As a commanding officer, I knew to expect risks any time we entered a situation like this, but tonight I expected it to be a quick in and out after Acciolli and Liberty investigating the scene for any other telling evidence, and with how eager Liberty was to get to work, I knew she wouldn't take long, She was one of the fastest detectors in the unit and I knew her handler took pride in her stamina.

Keeping the scene secure, with my lights flashing, I waited impatiently with the rest of the officers standing watch for the two to reappear, her excited yelps echoing into the front yard. In less than 20 minutes I got word they reached the back of the house, but two minutes later, I got word again that Acciolli discovered a suspect hiding in a built-in crawl space. In response, Liberty went crazy, causing the suspect to take off on foot.

With Acciolli taking pursuit, I took off in the south direction the suspect was heading to catch him off guard, but by the time I made it, Acciolli had already let Liberty off the leash and commanded her to attack when the suspect refused to stop. Liberty's vicious barks were enough to make anyone's eardrums ring but clamp of her jaw on human flesh accompanied by a scream made me flinch. It was when I was running toward the two, watching Acciolli make his way over as well to release his partner when I witnessed something horrific happen.

In an effort to break free from Liberty's bite and fight off Acciolli when he went to reach for the suspect, the accused, wielded a knife in Jayden's direction and as any good K9 would, Liberty protected her handler by letting go of her prey from his pants and attempted to bote his hand, and in defense the suspect turned the knife on her, stabbing her straight on near the chest. Her yelps of pain and terror were enough to make Acciolli visibly jump from his skin.

Shining the flashlight on Liberty, I already saw the blood crusting her fur. Calling in the fallen K9, I knelt beside her while Jayden continued to detain the man he now had beef with.

"it's okay, girl," I whispered before backup followed. Tonight just turned into a long night for all of us.

Jayden
When I got the call to go into work, I was just expecting to go in with Lib and do a usual walk through. I wasn't surprised when they asked me and my partner to do the sweep because Liberty was the best one around in the department and I was always so proud of her when she sniffed something out. I also think it had to do with her own excitement when she did. I didn't like to brag but we were the best of the best in my not so humble opinion but I wasn't expecting for my number one partner to be hurt in the line of duty.

Red was the only color I saw the minute the stupid ass perp took out his knife and tried to stab me, but instead stabbing Liberty. I couldn't hold back the anger that was boiling inside of me. Hearing Stevenson call in the fallen K9, I couldn't keep my emotions in control. I couldn't fathom the thought of losing her. I couldn't picture going home without her, her not playing with Bel or annoying Roo, and her protecting our family. I just couldn't so while Stevenson tended to my K-9, I was quick to cuff the perp and maybe apply some pressure to his back on accident. I apologized when he yelled about it, but I ignored him and got up shortly after and made my way to Lib.

"We got to get her to the Vet, Stevenson. She's gotta make it," I said in a hurried breath, reaching over and rubbing her head while I smiled sadly at her. I can't lose ya, Lib. Hearing her whimpers when we made eye contact broke me. "Shhh, it's okay, girl. You'll be alright Lib. I'll make damn sure of it."

Officer Stevenson
"It's getting late but we'll call one in, it'll be okay, Acciolli. We gotta stop the bleeding," I said before I watched Acciolli strip himself of his uniform before he used his white undershirt as a makeshift bandage for now. It was soaked in Liberty's blood in minutes but luckily, emergency services arrived shortly after.
Amelia
I found it odd that Jayden and Liberty hadn't returned by morning, but I didn't question it too much. I figured if anything, the two got called into a double shift. Usually, though, Jayden called me when this happened so I could find someone else to watch our daughter while I went to work.

Maybe he got too busy.

Sighing softly, I let it go. I was just going to have to take Bel into work. Getting her up and feeding making her breakfast, my worry for Jayden only grew. My gut told me something was wrong, but I didn't want to panic our daughter. When he called right after we finished breakfast I sent Bel off to pick her own outfit. This was exciting for her because it was the first time I let her, so she ran off without any hesitation.

Answering the phone as soon as she was out of earshot, this time I stayed calm for Jayden's sake.

"Good morning, Blue Eyes. Is everything okay?"

Jayden
The night was a long one, not only physically but emotionally and mentally. It was a lot of unknown for most of the night about Liberty's outcome due to how dead center the asshole stabbed her in the chest. I was told the minute we got to the vet Libs chances were fifty-fifty and after spending most of the night and morning in the waiting room, I was exhausted in every sense of the word. When I realized how late it was into the morning, I knew I was going to be worrying Amelia since I hadn't called her yet.

Pulling out my phone from my pocket, I decided to call her really quick but that's when the nurse came out to let me know that Lib was going to be alright, my partner just needed lots of rest. I nodded in agreement, not trying to tire the German Shephard out after what she just endured. After I got the good news, I called Amelia before I walked to the room Liberty was in to see her and take her home.

"Good morning, Vix. Everything's better now. Lib and I got into some trouble last night. We were racing a perp and when I was about to arrest him, he pulled out a knife and Lib took the stabbing. The vet just got done stitching her up and let me know she'll be good to go soon. She's going to need lots of rest and time to heal but she's going to be okay," I released a deep sigh of relief I hadn't realized I was holding. "I'm sorry we didn't make it in time for our morning switch. How's Bel? Are you taking her to work with you? I'll pick her up if you want."

Amelia
When I heard his voice on the other end, I could tell Jayden was past exhausted. But what I mistook for a double shift was actually one of Jayden's worst nightmares. My heart broke for him even though he was keeping his composure for now. Now it was my time to step in and help him nurse Liberty back to health. As much as she was a working police dog, she was still part of our family. My stomach turned to knots for her just as it would if Jayden was the one to get injured last night.

"Bel's fine, Jayden, don't worry about her. I'll take her with me. You worry about bringing Liberty home, You both need sleep. We'll figure out how to break all of this to Bel later. Are you sure you're alright? Do you need anything? How long did they say she would be out of patrol for? I can stay home if you want, I'm putting in my notice anyway."

Whatever Jayden needed to help him through this, I was willing to do. I knew whatever happened, he took this personally and more than likely, Liberty was just trying to protect him as she was trained to do.

Jayden
How quick Amelia was to offer any form of help in a time like this was more than touching. Her caring nature is one of the many reasons I fell in love with her. At this point in the morning, I wasn't going to disagree that Liberty and I needed sleep. My body was craving it and I knew the moment we got home, the K9 would be quick to curl into a ball and sleep herself. Taking care of her was going to be a bit time consuming but I was going to do everything it took to bring her back to full health.

When Amelia mentioned coming up with a way to tell Bel what happened, I released a deep sigh. I didn't know how to explain this to our daughter but she needed to understand that Liberty wasn't going to be able to play as much or as rough as before.

"I'm alright, you don't have to stay home, Vix. We'll be okay and all we're going to do is sleep so it's okay. Go to work and then we'll see you and Bel after, okay?" I said softly, releasing a yawn. "The vet said Liberty would be out of patrol for at least a month. They think she'll heal quick and I'm hoping for the same."

Amelia
"Well, that's one way to get some time off. I'll see you later. I love you the most." Hanging up the phone, I ran off to help Bel finished getting ready so I wasn't late for a busy day in the office.
After spending only a half day working on my multiple projects while I entertained Bel with coloring pages and movies, we ran a few errands before we returned home. Picking up everything Jayden needed to take care of Liberty and keep her secluded, and I also picked up the fried chicken from the restaurant we had our first lunch together. It was still one of Jayden's favorite places to go.

Walking through the door, I helped Bel take off her many layers before I discarded my own.

"We have to be quiet love, daddy might be sleeping still," I whispered. On the way home, I explained gently that Liberty got hurt at work last night and we would have to be gentle with her and listen to Jayden when it came to approaching the working dog. As I expected, Bel agreed, aiming to please her dad Taking her hand, we walked into my bedroom where I found Jayden still asleep. Letting our daughter curl up next to him, I went to find Liberty.

Discovering her in the guest bedroom, I made my way to her slowly toward her, I laid beside her on the floor, petting head tenderly.

"Hey, girl, I'm glad you're here. Thanks for saving our guy. I'll take good care of you, I promise."

Jayden
When I felt the slightest dip into the bed, I was quick to open my eyes and she what it was, not surprised when I found my daughter curled up against me while she tried to sleep. I stayed still, not moving an inch while I let her find her slumber and after about five minutes, I kissed her forehead and left the bed to find my wife. I had a feeling she was with our pupper.

I leaned against the frame of the guest room while I watched the big German Shephard act so meek and gentle with Amelia who was petting the top of her head while laying beside her. It was a touching sight to see and knowing Liberty was well taken care of was more than reassuring. I chuckled when Liberty was quick to see me and acknowledge my presence by standing on all her fours, but I was quick to shake my head and motioned for her to lay back down.

"Rest, Lib. You're okay. We'll be off of work for awhile so no need to be so quick to leave," I said softly, walking over towards the two before I sat down on the floor to join them, leaning over Amelia and kissing her softly. "Hi, Love. How was work? I hope Bel didn't give you too much trouble." I still felt pretty bad that our daughter had to tag along with her mother today when it was usually my job to watch her when the sun was shinning. Last night was just a wild one and when Amelia said it was okay for Liberty and me to come home, I didn't fight it because I was exhausted. I was afraid I was going to lose my partner and that's a feeling no one ever wants to go through.

"I can cook us something for lunch if you want, or we can order take out."

Amelia
"There's food on the kitchen table, I just didn't want to wake you," I replied sleepily myself, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him closer and kissing his cheeks. "I miss you. Are you sure you're okay? I bought a crate and new bed to put her in so we can keep her away from Roo and her rough house partner. Whatever else you think she needs we can go get it. She'll be okay, Jay, At least you know she knows what she's trained to do. I know it makes me feel better about sending you out into the streets every night " I reassured him before I kissed him again. "I love you."

Jayden
I fell into Amelia when she pulled me closer, smiling gently at the kisses she gave me. I loved this woman with all my heart and it's a scary thought to think if Liberty hadn't jumped in the way, I would've been the one stabbed, even if that's still what I preferred, I knew it would've wrecked Amelia. Shaking my head, I kissed her lovingly again before pulling away.

"I love you too, Vix. I swear I'm okay. I was just a little shaken up but it'll be alright. Thanks for buying her a new bed and crate. I genuinely appreciate it. We can brainstorm other things to buy but I think you also need some sleep." I lifted her up into my arms then, walking back to our room where I laid her next to our sleeping daughter. "I'll be in the living room if you need me," I whispered sweetly before walking out of the room and to the kitchen so I could eat the food Amelia brought home with her.

Thursday
Isabel
A day off all to myself was rare but I knew I was going to soak it all in and cherish it before I was whisked away from reality for a bit to spend some time with my beloved pilot. After feeling like we were slowly starting to drift, it was refreshing to know he wanted to take today for ourselves. I thought we both could use it and the butterflies I used to feel before were back today as I laid in our bed and stared out the skylight in our room. These windows were one of the selling points of this house for me since I was an avid stargazer and storm watcher. Plus the natural lighting it brought into the house was always perfect for in the moment pictures.

It was a cloudy day, not one where we would see much rain but enough to keep the temperatures at a blistering forty degrees. It was my favorite time of the year and I loved layering up when I went out and decorating for the many holidays that fell back-to-back. I like to call winter my thriving season.

Watching the clouds drift over the house, I fell into the silence of the house and relaxation consuming my mind for once. With Mateo at the ranch, I was able to sleep in and not here a single cry, banging sound or yelling. The silence made me miss him just a bit but I knew he was having fun with his grandparents.

Closing my eyes, I focused on relaxing until it was interrupted with a ding. Amelia. Smiling, I reached over for my phone and saw the usual good morning texts she and I would send to each other. I was quick to reply.

"Good morning! How's Liberty? Are you enjoying having your man around the house now? (smirking face emoji)."

After hitting send, I noticed a text from Dawson. Opening our thread, I smiled again.

"Morning, Amor. Te amo tambien. How's work? When are you getting off?" I sent the text, biting my lip before I was quick to send another. "Do I get to know what we're doing today?"

Dawson
Today was the day I had been thinking about since I screwed up the first time. I never liked to acknowledge that day, but it did still haunt me for everything I did wrong, including the insults I directed at Amelia in my own jealous insecurity. This time, however, I wanted everything to go right this time around, and in my heart, the first step was setting things right with Amelia. I knew now, she was more than just what I pictured a best friend to be. Before, my jealousy stemmed from the idea that a best friend was someone Isabel spent all her free time with in college, "bonding" over countless bottles of wine and hard liquor, and reckless nights out on the town, and when they weren't spending their nights out, I for sure thought they were gossiping about whoever, wherever they decided to go to lunch or dinner that day. Going to get their nails done discussing the career they shared. I saw their friendship for face value. None of what I saw them partake in together was particularly meaningful, so I didn't want to understand why Amelia was such an important pillar in Isabel's life. The truth was, I was a victim of seeing what they wanted everyone else to see. They played their bond off like it was naturally seamless and easy like they never had anything to disagree about and the time they spent together was only for laughs and careless spontaneity. I knew now, there was much more to the two's dynamic than they were willing to air out to the world, and over time, as I bore witness to all the things Amelia was willing to do in a second's notice to keep Isabel happy and healthy, I realized my respect and appreciation for her was immense.

What the world didn't see were the times when Isabel was frantic or so lost in her own head, she felt unreachable, but with a gentle tone and the patience that outlasted any Covington, Amelia offered her ear and never left until she was for certain Isabel was okay. No one saw all the times she canceled her own plans without question to help with whatever Isabel needed or her, or all the food she dropped off to make sure Mateo ate even if his mother had a long day. All the times she offered advice when Isabel was lost on what decision was right for her, or for our family, but the most telling memory I'll never forget was when Amelia comforted Mateo in her arms while his mother was fighting for her life. Amelia was Isabel's reinforcement and I knew, I could never amount to half of what Amelia did to keep Isabel sane, which is why I needed her to know, I was wrong before. I needed her because, without her, I would be on my own in ensuring both Isabel and Mateo knew they were loved, and as much as I knew I was capable to do that on my own, we worked better as a team.

For this to go right, I needed Amelia's approval and reassurance, this is what Isabel wanted before I went through with it tonight.

I arrived at the cafe Anelia and I agreed to meet at half an hour before the agreed meeting time to reflect on what I wanted to say, hoping I would say it the right way.

This whole thing seems a little stupid, Covington. You did ask her parents and they approved. But Amelia deserves to be asked too. It's the least you could do and it proves your own friendship with her has come full circle.

When I asked Amelia to meet me here, I told her it was about Isabel and asked her not to bring it up to her best friend. I didn't say anything more. I knew the vagueness of the situation would worry her, but also unlike before, I didn't need her making Isabel suspicious, she was already onto me as it was.

Tapping my knuckles on the table, I stood, taking a sip of my water to clear my dry throat before I greeted Amelia in a friendly embrace.

"Hey," I whispered softly, shaking my head with half a grin when she asked what was wrong.

"Nothing's wrong Isabel is fine, we're fine, as far as I know anyway. You would know more than me," I teased before I invited her to sit.

"Breakfast is on me this morning. Thanks for meeting me."

Rolling my eyes at Amelia pick up on my nervous ticks, I laughed when she asked what I was up to.

"I just wanted to talk."

"About what?" she asked suspiciously, putting her purse to the side.

"I have to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"Okay, well, I asked you here, because, I think it's time, Isabel and I take the next step. If that's what she wants. But again, you would know more than I do, so I would appreciate your insight, please."

Her laugh caught me off guard, and I felt my heart rise into my throat.

"What's so funny?" I asked, hands shaking, choking on my own words as I reached for my water again.

"If you're asking me if Isabel wants to marry you, excuse the language, but the answer is absofuckinglutely. In fact, if you don't ask her, I might go insane. She's so impatient when it comes to those things."

"Really?"

"Dawson, do I have to remind you that you live together and you have a son? It's kinda expected at this point."

"I know I know, I just--"

"You just don't want her to say no again."

"Wow, how'd ya know?" I asked darting eye contact to play with the salt shaker.

"My amazing intuition," she answered sarcastically before I released a heavy sigh. "I love her, Amelia, and I don't plan for us to ever not be together She's it for me, her and Mateo, but I don't want her to feel like I'm pressuring her into taking my last name, it's kind of a loaded one, ya know? And I know she has her differences with Covington tradition, but I'm willing to let those go if it means she won't be afraid of the commitment. I already sold the house on the ranch," I confessed, grinning once more at her shock. "It was time to let it go. I won't need it and Brett was always envious of it anyway, so it's a win-win, really. So you really think I have a chance this time?"

"I think, if you don't ask her, you're stupid,"

"Do you ever know how to sugarcoat anything? God, how does Jayden put up with you?"

"Are you kidding me, Dawson? You're with the most impatient, short-tempered, loud woman I know and my directness hurts you. You poor thing."

"Ouch."

"I'm only kidding! I'm happy for both of you. I promise you're not making the wrong decision."

"Then I guess I'll have to take your word for it and just go for it. But I wanted to say something else, too."

"Yes?"

"I love you, Amelia and everything you do for my family."

"Dawson, stop!"

"No, I need to say this to get it off my chest and you deserve to hear it. I was wrong to ever consider you a temporary person in Isabel's life who I felt was only coming between us. I know now that you were only looking out for Isabel's best interest and I promise, I'll never come between that, but I also want you to know, you did an amazing job taking care of your best friend when she felt like no one else was, but now we're a team and I want you to trust that she is also safe and take care of with me. I know she needs you and I also know I wouldn't have changed my stubborn entitled attitude to win her back if you hadn't been the one to stand up for her. If I'm going to ask her to marry me, I also need to know that we have your approval."

After some silence to compose herself, I bit my lip when Amelia spoke again, my heart racing into my eardrums.

"Thank you," She whispered almost inaudibly. "This means a lot to me and I want you to know if I had to trust anyone else with one of the most important people in my life, it would be you. She deserves that. You have my approval."

"Thank you, Melia."

After a heartfelt breakfast with Amelia, I was left to finish prepping things for later tonight, but before I could drive away, I had to reply to Isabel's text, laughing at how clueless she was at least pretending to be.

"Absolutely not. It would ruin all my fun. I'll be home as soon as I finish inspections. But don't get your hopes up, Whiskey, it's nothing too fancy."

Amelia
I cried the whole way home, and when I walked through the door, I smiled at Jayden, who took notice of my red and puffy eyes. When he took me into a comforting embrace, I giggled excitedly causing him deep confusion.

"I'm not sad, just happy, really, really happy. Dawson's going to ask Isabel to marry him tonight and he wanted to know if that's what Isabel wanted and if I approved. Of course, I said yes to both. It's about time," I whispered. "Our best friends are getting married, Jay. Isabel is going to be a Covington!" I exclaimed in an almost squeal, letting of him for a moment to answer Isabel's reply to my good morning text I sent out of routine after leaving breakfast with Dawson.

"Hold on," I whispered, kissing Jayden's cheek. "I have to reply or she'll think something's up."

"Liberty's been better, she has a small infection but we're taking care of it, and I don't know what you're insinuating about Jayden being home. We have a toddler lol. But yes, he's a lot of help and I'm glad he's taking a break from the streets. I think he was starting to burn out. All is good here. How about you?"

Isabel
I was still curled into a ball under the grey covers of mine and Dawson's bed when both my boyfriend and best friend responded to my texts. I was more than thankful to have them both in my life and opening my messaging app, I went to mine and Dawson's thread first, groaning when he yet again refused to tell me anything about our plans tonight. He even added in that it wasn't going to be anything too fancy and that sort of bummed me out. I was looking forward to dressing up for the matter.

"Nothing too fancy? What a bummer. And to think I thought you knew I loved being extra. (tongue sticking out emoji)" I replied to Dawson with a chuckled before I got out of bed and threw on one of Dawson's long sleeved button down shirts, buttoning it all the way up before I left my room and walked out to the kitchen, making my first iced mocha for the day.

After that, I texted Amelia back.

"Awe no, the poor pupper! I hope she gets to feeling better soon. I also think Jayden needed sometime off the streets. I would say everything is going well here. Dawson apparently has a night getaway planned for us so Mateo's at the ranch with his grandparents. I'm irked Dawson refuses to give me the slightest hint about what we're doing tonight."

When my first cup of mocha was finished, I sat in the living room and watched TV to kill the time, becoming impatient as time seemed to move by slowly. When I had nothing else to distract me, I grabbed my laptop, made a second cup of mocha and sat at the kitchen island, going through some work emails and our Slack page to see what needed to be done tomorrow at work. Even on your day off you work. Ridiculous.

I Hearing keys rattle outside the front door, I knew Dawson had gotten off work. I didn't move from the kitchen because I was now making my third cup of mocha, waiting for the espresso to stop brewing before I moved the cup and added milk and ice to it, closing the cup with it's lid and moving the straw around to stir it. Taking a sip of it, I turned and leaned against the counter when Dawson made his way over to me. Smiling at him, I sipped more mocha out of my straw.

"Hi, Amor. How was work?" I asked him sweetly, smiling at him before I walked back over to the other side of the island and sat down in the chair I was at all day, looking back at my computer which had some pictures up on it that I was culling through from my photographers for an event coverage story. "What is the attire for tonight since you said it wasn't too fancy?"

Dawson
"I was only pulling your leg, Isabel. Tonight, it's only the best for you and for you that means taking you to the most upscale place in downtown Dallas for the evening. I should have told you to pack an overnight bag sooner. But your outfit for the evening has been hiding in the guest bedroom, why don't you go find it? We still have some time, so if you don't like it we can go find a replacement. But that also depends on how long you take to get ready," I teased before filled the gap between us, kissing her forehead.

"Hey, what's this? I thought we agreed there was no working today, Whiskey. You're almost hopeless," I whispered into her ear before I slammed the laptop shut. "You're clocking out for the day, let's go. We have a full evening planned, unless, you want me to call off the whole thing so you can edit and we can do this another time?" It's up to you, but I really was hoping to get you all to myself."

Isabel
I was intrigued when Dawson told me my outfit for the evening had been hiding in the guest bedroom. That was a perfect spot for him to keep all his gifts a secret because I hardly went in there. I wanted to know what exactly he bought for the occasion, but when he slammed my laptop shut, I pouted when I looked at him and shook my head.

"What else was I supposed to do all day with you and work and Mateo at the ranch?" I asked while I wrapped my legs around his waist and pulled him closer, wrapping my arms around his neck to before kissing him softly. "Of course I want to spend the night with you. I won't touch my laptop for the rest of the day, I swear. Now, what could you have possibly bought me to wear for tonight?"

Untangling myself from the pilot, I stood up and pushed my chair in, grabbing my Starbucks cup with homemade mocha before walking to the guest bedroom. When I saw the black zipper bag, my curiosity increased. Unzipping it, I gasped as I saw the gold dress inside. Giggling excitedly, I moved it to the bed and touched the fabric, messing with the sleeves before moving down to the slit on the thigh. I'm going to look good in this.

Looking up at Dawson, I ran over to him excitedly and threw myself onto him, laughing when he caught me. I kissed him lovingly again before pulling away.

"What a stunning dress, Six. You have good taste. I should let you pick out my outfits more often," I teased, releasing another bubbly giggle. "What is the occasion for such an extravagant dress and a chance to be at the most upscale place in Dallas?" I knew Dawson wouldn't spill a single hint and I couldn't wait for the night to come. "I'll start getting ready soon. You said I would need an overnight bag right? I'll go pack right now."

I ran off to our room then, immediately grabbing a small duffle bag from my side of our walk-in closet before I began packing. I had a tendency to overpack but I never knew what I wanted to wear the next day.

Dawson
Chuckling as Isabel ran off, I wiped the sweat from my palms. Calm down, if she catches your nerves she'll know what's up. Taking a deep breath, I checked my pocket out of habit to make sure the ring was still there. I had been carrying it around since Mateo and I picked it out because I couldn't think of a good enough hiding spot where Isabel wouldn't stumble upon it and ruin the whole scene I had spent the last three months planning. This time, I wanted the whole thing to scream Isabel and I hoped this wasn't a flop.

Buttoning the jacket to my all black suit fit for the evening, I clipped the silver watch around my wrist before I texted Amelia the text she was waiting for.

"It's go time. Are you ready?" In two minutes time, she responded with, "Meet you there. Don't forget to breathe."

Smiling at her response, I slipped my phone in my jacket pocket and went looking for the woman holding up the show she didn't know she was running late to. All she knew was I made reservations for a fine dining dinner for the two of us, and I was taking her somewhere to stay after. It was only a little white lie to tide her over from bombarding me with questions.

"Isabel, love, I'm sure you look amazing," I called running into the room to find her, only to stop dead in my tracks when I was witness to how stunning she was in person. Biting my lip I nodded in my own shock. "And I was right, drop dead gorgeous. Are you ready? I already packed the truck, but I'm starving. Let's go before the traffic turns into a nightmare."

"We're almost there," I reassured her rubbing the back of her hand with my thumb, laughing nervously at her piqued curiosity. Glancing over to her as we turned into the grand estate, I found my voice.

"Have you ever spent the night at a mansion?" I asked, and when she shook her head, I grinned sheepishly. "Well, we are tonight. Our dinner reservations are at the terrace restaurant. Is that okay?" I asked playfully before I hopped out, handing the keys off before I went to help Isabel out.

"Follow me, darling." Taking her hand in my own, I led her into the Rosewood Mansion that now served as an elegant hotel and restaurant. The terrace usually only served breakfast and lunch, but I rented out space for tonight.

"Ladies first." Motioning her onto the elevator, I pressed the button. "I'm still starving," I joked to calm my own nerves. "You think they'll still be food left since we took so long to get here?" Then the elevator door opened.

Now it's really go time. I thought to myself.

Leading her out onto the rooftop terrace that I had decorated for the occasion with an abundance of sunflower and rose petals. lining a pathway with candles and overhanging tealights that directed her toward a rose arch that perfectly framed the skyline of Dallas.

I knew by now, she probably pieced together what we were doing here, but I had to finish it.

"C'mon." Catching a breath once we were standing under the arch, I took her shaking hands in my own before I kissed her forehead tenderly. "I love you, Isabel, and I don't deserve you in the slightest, but now that you're mine, I can't let you go, Hopefully, I do this right this time." Letting go of one of her hands I knelt to one knee and reached in my jacket pocket to reveal the grander of the two rings I had picked out for her. I "Isabel, will you marry me?" I asked, forgetting how to breathe again. I was ready to beg if I had to. "Please?"

Isabel
I didn't know what to expect when it came to what Dawson had planned for the both of us today but I was more than excited for it considering the dress he had bought for the occasion and managed to keep hidden. The dress was definitely a statement piece and I knew I was going to enjoy wearing it, and considering it was so grand, the only shoes that could be worn with it were a pair of my red bottom Louboutin heels. After getting dressed and ensuring everything looked perfect, I let Dawson lead us out to what would end up being a night I would always remember because my pilot knew me so well.

When we arrived at the grand estate, my entire breath was taken away. I couldn't believe I was here, that Dawson and I were at Rosewood Mansion, about to have dinner out on the terrace for just what I assumed to be a night getaway. It was beyond breathtaking and something completely up my alley but when we got down is when all the question started hitting me. Why did Dawson choose such a grand place for a simple night alone? Why would he buy this dress? To fit in? That one was answered when I saw how everyone else in the area was dressed. Okay, that could be a reason. But seriously, all of this? Dawson what the hell are you planning?

My astonishment must have been evident on my face with the amount of people I could feel staring. I couldn't help it. Though this was very much my scene, it didn't mean I always had the luxury to be in it. Most of the time I preferred not to, mainly because I knew financially that it wasn't practical to live in a life like this. I also knew I would lose who I was if I did. You're thinking about too much. Just live in the moment bitch.

Shaking my head, I followed Dawson into the elevator, chuckling when he mentioned he was still starving. "I'll take the blame for us running late but I'm sure they still have food to offer. Stop being so overdramatic." I said teasingly, waiting for us to arrive at the terrace and when we did, I couldn't help but let out a loud gasp as everything came into view. Now I knew what was going on. I knew why Dawson wanted to get away and my heart began beating at the thought. Holy shit. He's going to propose.

"Dawson," I said quietly, now standing underneath the arch that perfectly aligned with the skyline that stole my heart. With shaking hands, I watched Dawson while he took my hands in his own and kissed my forehead. I was in my own mind now, spiraling, but it wasn't like the first time he did this. This time, I wanted this. I wanted to marry the man before him and the reason I was so far in my head is because I couldn't help but think about everything we went through, where we were now, and what I hoped for us to be in the future. We were going to become husband and wife. I was going to marry the only man who has ever successfully stolen my heart, the man I loved more than my own life, the one I had a son with. It was all coming full circle and that realization quickly brought me to tears as he gave me his spill before getting on one knee and revealing the grander of two rings. One more than flashy that I knew would catch a lot of attention and a small, simple one. I knew instantly what that one was for. He got me a ring for when I go on assignments. More tears.

"Six," I said again, tears streaming down my face while as my entire body began to shake. This was actually happening. "Dawson, of course I'll marry you. Yes." I finally said, knowing I made him wait long enough. I wiped away the tears while he stood up and placed the ring on my finger, wrapping my arms around his neck before I played with his hair and leaned in for a loving kiss. When we pulled away, I smiled so bright, giggling like a teenage child. "I love you so much, Six. Thank you, for all of this. This has been perfect."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back