• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Brett
"I think I can do that for ya, sounds easy enough. What do you want to know, Isabel?" Here we go, the same ten questions. How do you feel about tonight's run? What are you hoping for next run? What do you do to train to make it the eight seconds? Do you ever feel like your life is in danger? How does it feel to be in the championship running again this year? What do you have to say about the atmosphere tonight? What does it feel like to beat the clock? What bull is your favorite to ride? What about your opponent's performance tonight? Where are you headed next? It was also so repetitive, it bored me. But after hearing Isabel's story, I braced myself for it because if anyone earned it, she sure as hell did.

Dawson
"I'm not lying! Her camera is broke and she was devasted so I did what anyone should do and I offered to fix what I broke. She can take it or leave it, I tried. At least she's walking away with her life tonight. But you do have a type, she just doesn't exist in Texas. Maybe you should go back home to find her? I think you'd have better luck there. You don't want any of the ones who want me, they don't want me, they want the money, Jayden," I replied matter of factly. Finishing the pint, I tipped the bartender, extending my hand to Jayden in farewell.

"Thanks for coming, Jay. I hope ya enjoyed it. Drive safe."

Isabel
When I promised Brett I wasn't going to be like all the other reporters, I meant it. I truly wanted to be able to tell his story, who he was and not just his riding persona. I could tell by his expression, he was expecting me to ask the same questions all the other men before me did but I didn't know this sport well enough to ask and understand that. "I want to know more about you, Brett. Do you mind if I record the interview?" I asked him, turning on my recorder when he did before opening my notepad. "Why did you start riding?" I wanted to know everything, from beginning to end. I didn't want to take up too much of his time but I did want to get this story right.

After asking a few more questions, I was blown away with how much Brett shared with me. He was an amazing person, not just a rider, and I think he deserved for the whole world to know that about him. I could tell he began enjoying answering my questions which blew my mind because he did not seem too thrilled with all the other vultures previously interviewing him. I was almost sad that the interview was over.

"Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview, Brett. I look forward to writing this story." I said with a bright smile, putting away my recorder along with my notepad. Holding out my hand, I shook Brett's once again. "I hope to be back here and covering another ride. You keep doing big things, Covington." I told him softly before walking away. Overall, being here covering the rodeo was one hell of an experience and I wanted to cover one again.

Making my way back to Amelia, I hugged her tightly, sighing contently before I pulled away. "Thank you for coming with me. I know I gave you one hell of a scare and I'm sorry. I won't be so reckless again. Are ya ready to head out?" I asked her, handing her back her camera bag before taking mine from her, sighing when I realized it was broken. Well, I guess it was time for some new gear anyways. Opening my hand, I looked at the number written neatly on it. Dawson Covington was unlike any man I had ever met before but I was not going to contact him about replacing what he broke. I could handle that myself, even if it wasn't really in budget right now. Well, you have enough lenses to last. You just need a new camera body.

Brett
To say I was taken aback by Isabel's interviewing tactic wouldn't have been enough to describe the shock that began to overwhelm me. Her poise and sophistication proved I was right to respect her from the get-go. Her first question was one i hadn't heard since I started riding at 17. Even though I answered it in the past. that was before I had the insight I did now and it was a refreshing reflection point. So I answered it, without thinking to filter myself, at the time, because of how she composed herself, I forgot why she was here.

I told her the whole story, about being born into the riding scene and wanting to follow in my cousin Dawson's footsteps because he was older than me and I never had a brother, I looked up to him as one. Watching Dawson ride, made me feel empowered that I could be as courageous and heroic as he seemed in a saddle. Of course, because our childhood was a constant competition between us, I had to one up my cousin even in his sport. He rode horses in a saddle, so I was going to ride bulls bareback. It wasn't that I had something to prove, I just considered the whole thing a game. Riding was just as much a part of me as I assumed journalism was for her, but I knew better than to assume.

By the end of the interview, seeing her so excited to know me just a little bit better was like a breath of fresh air.

"I look forward to seeing ya, Isabel," I replied in a friendly wave. At the last second though, I decided not to hold my tongue about Dawson's saving her.

"Hey, Isabel, I can tell you don't know much about the Covingtons but I can tell you Dawson isn't like the rest of us. What happened on the fence, happened because he really is a good guy, he just has a tough exterior because he needs it. "

Amelia
After watching Isabel almost get impaled and trampled to death, I couldn't stand to even be in the building. I knew she needed to finish her assignment and as long as I was there, she wouldn't finish it the way she needed to, too worried about how I would react. Since we came in one car, I just stood at the exit, waiting for Isabel the entire time. To me, it wasn't a hassle.

Because I left early into the rodeo, I had to wait a few hours and by the time Isabel reappeared I was starving and I could go for another drink, this time a round of shots sounded best.

"You don't have to apologize, you have to do what you have to do. I'll just stay behind next time." Sighing, I smiled. "So how did your first rodeo treat ya? Did you get what you needed? Don't worry about the camera, consider it your early birthday present. I ordered it while I was waiting."

Isabel
Hearing Amelia say she ordered my camera while she was waiting is what brought me back to reality. I was stuck in my thoughts about Dawson and about what Brett said. It made me want to know more about him but I knew that wasn't possible. That was flat out crazy. Looking to Amelia in shock, I shook my head before laughing. "Of course you ordered it for me. You're crazy, Best Friend. I would've gotten it. That's two thousand dollars you didn't have to spend." I told her, shaking my head as I wrapped my arm through her and walked out towards my car with her by my side.

"I think my first rodeo was pretty damn amazing. The interview with Brett has me itching to write this story now so I'm looking forward to that. Despite my camera breaking, I want to come back and cover another one again." I said matter-of-factly, thinking about everything that occurred. From the environment, to the people, to Dawson and Brett, I wanted to be in all of it again. "I don't know about you though, I'm starving." Laughing, I let Amelia go as I unlocked my Fiat, getting inside and quickly turning on the heater.

When Amelia and I arrived to the steakhouse we agreed on, I sat on the side of the booth where I could see everyone. That was always my preference. The minute our waiter came to take our drink order, I was quick to order a strawberry margarita, needing some alcohol since all I could think about was what Brett said about his cousin. It blew my mind how much the bull rider looked up to the mystery man that saved my life today. If he really was different than his family, I wanted to know his story too.

Coming back to reality, I realized I was staring at the number on my hand, thinking about him and Amelia caught me in my act. Biting my lip, I let out a playful giggle. "Okay okay, sure he was cocky as hell and broke my camera, there was still some charm to him that I can't stop thinking about." I admitted to her, shaking my head. "But I'm not looking for anything. I'll just let him know him replacing the camera isn't needed then move on with my life." I added firmly. I wasn't ready to commit to a relationship right now. I was too busy focusing on myself.

Amelia
"When are you going to let go of the idea that I have to do anything for you? You needed it and you're too stubborn to ever tell me what you want for your birthday so I took the chance when I saw it. I was thinking about it anyways, the mishap just gave me a reason to."

At the steakhouse, I ordered my second margarita of day. Deciding early on on my order of chicken fajitas, I sipped my drink contently, now full recovered from the rodeo incident. "Isabel," I called out to her knowing full well why she was zoned out by the way her gaze was stuck on her hand, just as it had been on his eyes both times she encountered Dawson today.

"Mhm, sure, good luck getting me to believe that bogus defense." It was then, I remembered her asking me about the Covingtons. Oh shit.

Blinking, I nearly choked on my sugar rim as I set the glass down. "Earlier, you asked about the Covingtons, right?" When she nodded, I bit my lip, shaking my head. "Only you, Isabel, only you." I knew she wouldn't understand.

"Only you would find and fall for a man who is part of one of the wealthiest in North Texas and not have any idea who he was."

Isabel
I wasn't entirely sure what Amelia knew about the Covingtons that I didn't but it must have been major considering her reaction to it. When she said only I would do something, I didn't quite get what she meant. What the hell do you know that's so important about the Covingtons?

When Amelia revealed to me who they were, I was shook. I had never heard of them, not their wealth status, nor the fact that the whole shing-ding at the stockyards belonged to them. Now that I knew Dawson came from money, him wanting to replace what he broke made sense. He could afford it. I did have to give props to Dawson though. He didn't flaunt his money around. He didn't act entitled to anything because he had more money than I ever would in my life. The only bad thing about this is the fact that I fell for those hazel eyes and cocky personality. He def has enough attention from girls. He doesn't need any from me.

"I'm not surprised I didn't know that. I never looked into the stockyards or rodeos, let alone tried to figure out the wealthiest families in North Texas. That's just not my thing but now everything makes sense. Everyone was staring at us when he saved me and I knew those stares weren't ones of shock or gratefulness that I was saved. It was because of him, because of his status when in that scene." Shaking my head, I let out a light giggle, sighing softly. "Now I really can't pursue anything more. No man like him would want anything to do with me." Brett said he wasn't like their family... Does that mean I did have a chance? No no no, not gonna happen. "Plus, I don't need anyone right now. I'm still young and a whole lotta life to live." I told my best friend with a laugh, taking a sip of my margarita. I wanted to text him. I wanted to get to know him, not because of the money, but because of Brett saying he was different. What're you really like, Dawson?

Amelia
Though the weekend with Isabel started out hectic, it ended on a good note. After the rodeo, she stayed over another night and we spent all of sunday exploring Dallas before we hunkered down in my living room to get back to work.

It was Monday morning now and that meant going back to the reality of my professional life. I expected it to be another hectic day in the newsroom with the holidays inching closer. Leaving the apartment at my usual time in the morning, i headed out for my daily coffee stop, paying it forward again as I always did. I thanked Lindsey and ran out towards the newsroom. Tomorrow was deadline day for one of the videos i took over and that meant a lot had to get done in the next 12 hours to meet it.

Pulling out my phone before I forgot like I had a horrible habit of doing, I texted Isabel good morning.

"Good morning, other half. I booked our flights for Thanksgiving last night. Have a good day at work! Mine is going to be loco as usual. How did your Covington story turn out? (Smirking emoji)."

Isabel
The weekend turned out as I hoped it would. Despite the rocky start, Amelia and I were still able to enjoy our escape from reality. I stayed over yet another night and enjoyed exploring all of Dallas with her on Sunday, documenting it as usual with lots of pictures. It was a great weekend and I wasn't entirely ready to go back into work.

I spent all of Sunday night working on my Covington story. It was originally supposed to be a basic coverage of the rodeo as a whole but once I sat down with Melissa and told her what I found out, I just knew I needed to make this a feature story. Brett deserved it and honestly, it turned out just as I hoped it would. I submitted it, the story already live on the website and soon-to-be published in this weeks paper copy.

On Monday morning, I opted not to go to the newsroom considering my editor already gave me my next assignment. It wasn't anything major, just a local assignment of an event taking place at the ice skating rink in the Galleria tomorrow. Naturally, I took Monday as an extra day of rest and relaxation before Amelia and I headed out to Florida for her family's favorite holiday. I was more than excited to be celebrating it with them.

Making my usual cup of Earl Grey, I stared at my laptop, opening a text thread between Dawson Covington and I. I didn't get Brett's contact information like I should have and I wish I had it so I could send him the link to the story. The only way to get to him was through his cousin and I was dreading doing so. What do I even say to hazel eyes? I typed out multiple trial runs, deleting them because I hated the way they sounded before I finally settled on one.

"Morning Dawson, it's Isabel. I wanted to thank you for offering to replace my camera but I've already taken care of it. Also, would you mind passing this story on to Brett? I would really appreciate it if you did. I forgot to get his contact information after I interviewed him. Thanks a bunch!"

Hitting send, I immediately regretted sending him anything but the deed was done. It's not like you were asking him on a date. Relax Anes. Dunking my tea bag in and out of the hot water in my anchor mug, I heard a chime from my computer, knowing it was Amelia right off the bat. Smiling, I opened our thread, reading what she had to say before rolling my eyes.

"Morning! I decided to take today as an extra off day (shrug emoji). My next assignment isn't until tomorrow anyways-- I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving! Thank you so much for getting my ticket. If you must know, the story came out great. I'll send you a link in the next message." Hitting send, I sent the first message, followed by the link to the story and one more text. "Also, I texted Dawson.... kms."

Jayden
I wasn't one for day shifts but that's all I was being assigned lately. It wasn't like I could argue. I loved what I did for a living. Knowing I was protecting people always reassured me that I made the right career path and not once did I regret going straight into the force after high school. My goal was to move to D.C. at some point. I wanted to make my way up the ranks and hopefully become chief there. The city stole my heart the first time I ever visited it and living there was always something I wanted.

I went through my usual morning routine, waking up, showering, brushing my teeth and drinking a glass of water before I got dressed in uniform and left for my shift. Before going into the department, I stopped by my usual café for coffee. Saying good morning to Lindsey, I ordered my usual, looking at her confused when she told me my drink was already paid for in advance by the customer ahead of me. She did it again. Just who are you? "Oh really? Any chance you'll tell me who she is today?" I asked the barista, sighing when she said no. I knew Lindsey wouldn't actually tell me, especially if the mystery woman asked her not to. "Here," I said softly, handing over a five dollar bill. "Her next cup is on me."

As I waited for my cup of coffee, I sat at one of the tables, pulling out my phone as I bit the inside of my cheek. I wanted to tell my best friend about this mystery woman but I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to just yet, so instead, I texted him something else.

"Has the photographer shot you a text yet? Bet you're just waiting for her to."

Amelia
Parking in my usual parking spot, I ran from my car to the newsroom considering it started pouring and I didn't have an umbrella. Great, now I'm going to have wet feet all day, The one day I tried to wear heels. Ugh. I can already tell how today is going to go. Doing my best to leap over the puddles, it proved to be an obstacle.

By the time I made it inside my hair resembled a wet mop and my tapered pants were soaked up to my calves. It was a sight to see. I already decided I wasn't going to stay here as long as I hoped, but the good thing about my work was that it was pretty portable.

Taking off my jacket, I slipped off my soaked heels and pushed them under my desk, wrapping my jacket around my lap, I unpacked my bag, praying my laptop was still living. Please, please, please.

Before I had an anxiety attack over losing everything, I texted Isabel back.

"Well, at least one of us is having an exciting day. I'm already over mine. But you caved?! How come? Was he too good looking to forget?"

Slamming the phone on my desk, I had to hold back my scream when the Macbook didn't turn on. Of course not. Tomorrow is deadline day and I didn't export my changes to the desktop. This is when panic began to set in.

Lindsey
"Now why would I tell you who the mystery woman is? She's a customer, meaning customer barista confidentiality," I replied while getting Jayden's usual, a black coffee with just two sugars. Handing it to him, I took the five-dollar bill.

"I'll pass it on, officer, thanks for paying it forward. Have a good day!" I shouted back with a friendly wave as I watched the officer leave, still wondering about Amelia and who she was. Maybe, when the time was right, I would tell Jayden what he needed to know, but for now, it was just fun to tease him when Amelia was just being kind. She had no way of knowing Jayden came in at the same time, ten minutes after she departed and considering how early it was, there hadn't been a customer in between them every time she came in.

Fort Worth,Texas
Dawson
Now that the rodeo was over, I only had a few more days back at home on the ranch before I had to head back to the base for work. Right now, I was enjoying my morning coffee under the giant oak tree I grew up climbing as lookout to see how far out dad and Uncle Tom were in the pasture with the horses when Brett and I would sneak out after dinner time to sneak a ride in the opposite pasture. It became so much a part of our summer routine when the sun was out to play longer that the summer after Dad got me my first pocket knife for my birthday, I carved Brett and I's initials into the tree to officially claim it as our own.

Over a decade later, the tree has been retired as a lookout and became my favorite spot to perch in the morning, watching the horses graze in the distant since sunrise. This was my spot of peace before I took on the overwhelming reality of the world.

Nursing my coffee, I thought about how I needed to put a swing here so I didn't have to stain my pants in dirt whenever I sat here. I was thinking about what color I would paint it when I heard my phone ring twice in my pocket, disturbing my peace.

"What do y'all want?" I mumbled taking my phone out of my pocket to see who needed my attention.

The first message was from an unmarked number, piquing my interest wondering who it was. Opening the thread, I read the message and couldn't help but chuckle. "Isabel huh?"

I probably should have given my reply more thought before I sent it, but a peculiar excitement overcame me that she actually reached out to me, even if it was just to say she didn't need my help. Something told me that was just the kind of woman she was and I got a kick out of it.

Good mornin' Isabel I'll be sure to pass on the message to Brett thank ya I'm sorry about your camera again I'm glad it was taken care of"

Next was Jayden.

"Ya know for a Yankee who claims to be a southerner now you're still an ass like the rest of em yankees I ain't waiting for nothing"

Last edited:
Isabel
I was going through the many emails I get sent a day, seeing if any of them were important or just spam. My phone was buzzing a lot this morning and that's how I knew it was a busy news day. Everyone at the DMN was on slack, sending message after message. I wish I could mute them for a day but I can't. If I muted the app, I would miss out on a lot of the stories everyone is working on today. Not only that but I was nosy and loved seeing what was going on with breaking news everyday.

I was pulled away from my emails when I saw the small banner pop up in the corner of my laptop screen. Reading what Amelia said, I shook my head with a laugh, opening out thread to text back quickly.

"Do you need anything? What happened? And mm yeah, I did. Mainly because I'm a clutz and forgot to get Brett's contact info, so I asked the cocky cowboy to please send the story to Brett for me. That's why, not because of how unforgettable he is."

After I hit send, I bit my lip as I thought about Dawson. He was unlike anyone I've meet and that's what intrigued me. I wanted to know more but I couldn't allow myself to do it. I couldn't think of being anything with him and that was nobody's fault but my own. Here's why. Commitment scares me. I've learned that my independent personality bites me in the ass sometimes. The thought of being anything with anyone sends me into an instant panic, causing me to think about how terribly wrong everything could turn out, thus leading to me turning down every relationship any man has ever wanted to start with me. I guess it's a defense mechanism. I don't want to get hurt. Who does?

Hearing another ding pulled me out from my thoughts and gosh darn it, I couldn't help the stupid smile that spread from cheek to cheek at the sigh of his name. I now had Dawson Covington saved in my contacts and he's all I've been thinking of since the damn rodeo. I hate how such a simple reply sent butterflies through my stomach. I hate the feeling he gave me.

"Don't even worry about the camera. They can always be replaced. It was time for some new gear anyways. Thanks for saving me, by the way. I mean it with no sass."

I sent it, reading over it again and quickly hating what I said. I was quick to go back to Amelia and I's text thread.

"Sos, his good looks have too much power over me. Why am I so afraid of relationships again? It's a curse."

Jayden
I knew Lindsey was getting a kick out of not telling me who the mystery woman was. I wasn't looking to court her, just wanted to say thank you in person but I guess the only thing I could do to do so was by paying her drink forward.

After leaving the café, I sipped my coffee contently, relishing the flavor of drinking it straight black. A lot of people gave me a hard time for doing so but I didn't care. I learned from my dad to drink it like this and it's always stuck. I should call the old man soon.

When I left Chicago, the only person I left behind was my dad. Growing up it was always just the old man and me. My mother passed away when I was eight from breast cancer. She was diagnosed when I was three and fought as long and hard she could. She always told dad she wanted to see me grow up but the disease won and took her from me. She fought one hell of a battle for five years but nobody should have to see their mother like I did. I loved her, always would.

Losing her was reason enough for me to want to leave Chicago. Everywhere I went, everyone I met, looked at me with that sympathetic look that I didn't need. My mom died when I was young, yes, but that didn't define who I was. I wasn't some poor boy that needed guidance. I had my dad and that's all I needed after mom died. My dad and I got closer, he was around more, leaving his job as a mechanic for something that would bring in more money for us. He traded in overalls for a business suit. My dad knew how to clean up but mom loved him for who he was. Dad loved working with his hands, not working an eight to five office job but he did have a business degree and a way with numbers.

When I heard my phone go off, I just arrived at the station, reaching into the back seat for my umbrella as the rain began to come down hard. Once I had it, I looked at my phone, chuckling at how quick Dawson was to defend himself.

"Can't fully leave behind the yankee in me, Cowboy. We both know you want her to. I can only imagine the stupid grin on your face when she does."

Amelia
Catching a breath, I pushed my laptop aside, trying not to think about all the files I just lost because I didn't need to break into tears in my place of employment. Breathe. Part of this career is knowing how to think on your feet and handle these situations. You can do it, Amelia. Looking at the time, I had a little more than 24 hours before my deadline.

Refiguring a plan in my head, I got up from the desk and packed up just as quickly as I came. Grabbing my phone I replied to Isabel.

"Well, I need a new laptop, the rain killed mine and I have a day to finish what I was working on. Do you still have the copy of what I airdropped you? I'm going home to change and go replace my baby. (Crying face emoji)

Seeing her next reply made me smirk. I knew why she was holding back, and as much as I could relate to giving up your independence to be with someone if anyone would know how to balance it, it would be Isabel. Me on the other hand, not so much. It wasn't as easy to let go when everything you have was earned on your own. I was oblivious to any man who ever wanted my attention if any ever had because I had a tough guard to break through and I wasn't looking for anyone to complete me. I was complete on my own and after years of not being my complete self, holding back for others now was my prime time to be me for me. I didn't want a man to interfere with the plans I was still working towards for myself, not now at least.

That goes without saying I have had a few "relationships" in the past, but they weren't relationships. They were flings sprung out of boredom and loneliness. I realized these weren't my best moments to admit, but we all have them.

With that phase of my life at an end, right now, all I wanted was to continue to focus on myself and the career I was building after working nearly to death to achieve it. Even if it meant losing my laptop to the rain, I was still happy with where I was at in life and that's the first time I can say that in awhile. Perhaps, since Isabel and I became friends, but I tried not to think about it. That was a downward spiral I didn't need to fall into right now.

"Aha, so he is unforgettable. You know you can't lie to your best friend. Do you want to come with me and get lunch after or was the weekend with me enough for you?"

Dawson
In between waiting for a reply from Jayden and or Isabel I decided i would paint the swing robin egg blue. It would complement the faded oak and make it pop.

"I'll get working on it today," I whispered, thinking aloud was a horrible habit of mine, but I felt it kept me responsible for whatever I felt needed to be done at the time. If I didn't say it out loud, I didn't feel as responsible for the task at hand.

After sharing a brief message with Isabel, I didn't expect her reply back, our business was done. Her camera was taken care of and I would pass her message on to Brett. I didn't do it without making a mental note to read whatever it was she sent though, I was curious how anyone could find Brett interesting enough to write a whole story about him.

But then she replied.

Half shocked, I read the message, quick to reply, getting up from underneath the oak tree.

"Stop thanking me, the last thing we needed was a human fatality it's no good for business, Anes but I hoped ya learned a rider isn't worth dying for their egos are already big enough if ya couldn't tell."

My reply to Jayden was just as cocky. For lack of better term of course. I hated that word, I never felt like it fit me, but I didn't stay in school long enough to learn a better word to replace it with. I suppose I could have in high school but I never paid attention in English class.

"You say that now, but we can only hope we can get rid of the Yankee syndrome the best we can. Too bad ya missed that grin though."

Isabel
I was getting food for Apollo, singing along to the music I had playing from my laptop when I heard the familiar notification alerting me that Amelia had replied. I dumped the dog food in Apollo's bowl before walking back towards the counter where my laptop and cup of tea sat. Grabbing the handle to my mug, I sipped some more tea as I read Amelia's reply, instantly feeling horrible that her laptop died because of the rain. Looks like we both lost something.

"Yes, I still have the copy you Airdropped me. When you need it just let me know. I'm sorry your laptop died. Good luck on buying a new one. Let me know how it goes!"

Sipping some more tea, I watched the screen as those three dots turned into another text from her. I rolled my eyes for the countless time this morning before I smiled, thinking about Dawson again. Ugh, I need to stop doing that.

"Okay yes, he's unforgettable and I wish we could get to know each other more but no thank you (crossing arms emoji) The thought alone scares the hell out of me. Lunch sounds good. Where do ya wanna go? You know I will never get tired of hanging out with you"

After I replied to Amelia's text is when Dawson's came in. That was quick. As I read it, I scrunched my nose in displeasure at his lack of punctuation but I couldn't say anything. I hardly used any myself.

"Mm, so I was saved because being impaled would have been bad for business? What a shame. Here I thought you were a true southern gentleman," I hoped he caught that I was just pulling his leg, "Mm, I wouldn't say some aren't worth dying for. Sutton was a real sweetheart and Brett was a gentleman once I broke past that rider persona. He seems to really appreciate having you in his life. I think it's sweet. I look forward to riding the fence again, Cowboy"

After sending my reply just as quick as he sent his, I sighed contently, finishing off my tea, setting the mug in my sink before grabbing my glass water bottle with cut up fruit in it. I loved detox water so much. Looking at the time, I knew I had enough time to go for a run but the rain hitting my balcony window made me want to stay a home and continue getting better at yoga. Yoga it is. I walked into my room, changing into my athletic wear before I set out my mat and stretched before I switched the music to Frank Sinatra and began my workout, my phone beside me, waiting for Amelia or Dawson's response.

Jayden
I didn't get around to reading Dawson's response just yet. The minute I walked into the station, I knew today was going to be busy. There was already one car accident on I-30 heading towards Fort Worth. Rainy days always meant more accidents since people didn't know how to drive. I topped off my cup of joe, throwing away the paper cup in the trash can before getting assigned my usual beat. I headed out of the station, going to my patrol car before I took off.

When I was in the car, I read what Dawson said, chuckling at it. So the photographer did text him. Interesting.

"I take it she texted you then? You sir attract all sort of women and I have a strong feeling she's not like the others. Be smart, Dawson."

After responding to my best friend, I took off for patrolling, hoping today went smoothly. I never liked pulling people over when it was raining but it always seemed like I had to do so the most when it did. Like I said, people don't know how to freaking drive.

Amelia
The rest of the morning was spent in the Apple store, replacing and attempting to back up my files and of course buying a new skin for my new laptop considering my other one also got warped by the rainwater, making it smell stale. Disgusting. Two hours and too much money later, I was all set. I decided because it was still raining. to put the MacBook Air back in the box it came in for now. While waiting for my files to be recovered, Isabel and I agreed to meet at an Italian restaurant, As much as I looked forward to this lunch, the journalist in me couldn't help but be constantly reminded of the time that was ticking.

I understand why people grow naturally curious as to why in the hell I would choose to put myself in a career that revolves around constant deadlines with how I handled stress. The truth being, as much as I complain about the anxiety the stress gives me, I don't know how to live without it. Weird, I know, but as my mentor in college used to tell me, the only people who understand journalists crazy antics are other journalists, so you'll just have to believe me when I tell you I thrive under constant stress.

Remembering the umbrella this time around, I clutched it close to my body as I made my way inside for lunch. I also changed into my running shoes to keep my feet dry. Wet feet had always been one of my pet peeves.

I knew Isabel was already here because i parked next to her and she was pretty easy to find too, considering there weren't many people out for lunch on an early Monday afternoon and her black hair was always pretty recognizable.

"I made it!" I declared dramatically sliding into the booth, pretending to catch a breath for dramatic effect. "My savings is now nonexistent, but I made it. So let's talk about that cowboy. Why are ya being a chicken? Since when do guys scare you?" I teased, scrunching my nose as I looked up from the drink menu.

Meanwhile...
Lisa
12:34 p.m
.​
Being an emergency dispatcher, you never know what kinds of calls you're going to receive when you walk into work. We're trained to be exceptional under pressure and to repress emotion while on a tough call. Given the nature of the job, very few people have the mental capacity to handle it. One call you could be handling a jokester, another you could be giving instructions on how to deliver a baby or give CPR before medical help can arrive, but the kind of calls I hated the most just came through. A child in danger.

When I answered, the call, the panic immediately called me into action. There was nothing like a mother in despair over her child's well being and being a mother myself, my motherly instinct kicked in.

"9-1-1 What's the emergency?"

I could tell my the tone of the individual's voice she was a female but her panicked sobbing made it difficult to understand her, so I had to calm her down.

"Ma'am, I need you to breathe and tell me what's going on so I can help you, what do you need? What's going on?'

What she had to say next, gave me cringing chills.

M-my s-son, he's n-not-ttt b-breathing. Help please! Please help! I was taking him to the emergency room but it's raining and I can't get out of the traffic!"

Tracking her location, I continued to talk her through the unimaginable for a mother.

"He's not breathing?'

"No!"

"Do you know CPR?, Ma'am? What's your name?"

"W-Wendy."

"Okay, Wendy, I got an officer coming for you, he's less than a minute away. Stay on the phone until he gets there, okay? What happened? How old is your son?

"He's two I don't know what happened! You have to send help please!"

"Help is on the way," I replied calmly, sending out the call for the closest officer to pick up after I checked the patrolling officers' locations. "He said he's running towards you now. Can you see him?"

Isabel
The morning went by pretty slow after Amelia and agreed to go eat at our usual Italian restaurant. I didn't do much after my yoga session. I just focused on cleaning up my website to pass the time.

When it was finally time for me to get ready, I went to my room, looking through the big selection of clothes in my closet. I wasn't entirely sure what to wear but I knew I wanted to wear my rain boots. After settling on something, I grabbed my umbrella and purse, saying my goodbyes to Apollo before I left.

I arrived to the restaurant on time for once. That was a shocker to me. I walked in and sat at the usual booth, looking over the drink menu because I felt like drinking a glass of wine with my meal. Settling on a blush, I ordered it, waiting for Amelia to show and when she did, I laughed softly at her over exaggeration, shaking my head when she instantly started the conversation about Dawson. Here we go.

"So kind of you to join me, Best Friend," Laughing, I smiled at her when she sat across from me, "I'm part of the reason you're savings in now nonexistent, I'm sorry." I said sheepishly, thanking our waitress when she brought my glass of wine. I sipped on it slowly, sighing before I answered Amelia's question regarding Dawson and me being scared.

"You know better than anyone why I'm being a chicken. He's hot as hell, one-of-a-kind and I'm not his type, nor am I ready for a relationship. I always get scared though. Thinking about having a future with someone drives me into a self-inflicted panic, you know that. So, I've come to the conclusion that I can't have anything with the cowboy because I can't take on that anxiety right now."

Jayden
I was doing the usual patrol in my beat, listening to the classic rock station as I headed for the main access road, lost in my thoughts. I was thinking about my mother, as I usually did in rainy days. I missed her more than anything in the world and I would do anything to see her one last time. I thought about the good times we had together, her going out of the house to be at my baseball games even though I knew deep down she was weak and fragile. I was a child then. I was selfish and wanted her all to myself. I wanted her to be at all my events despite knowing she was sick. Sometimes I felt as though I pushed her too hard but she never showed it. She just kept that genuine smile on her face through it all, not letting the disease define her.

I didn't hear dispatch paging me until the third time Lisa did so. Shaking my head, I brought myself out of my thoughts, responding her, waiting to hear what she had to say. The call she received were ones I always dreaded. A child in despair. Whenever I got calls revolving around children, I took them personally, knowing I technically wasn't supposed to. Ever since I lost my mother, I took it upon myself to ensure other children were safe and living a beautiful life, one unlike what mine was. Children always tugged at my heart.

I responded to the call quickly, already on the access road but stuck in traffic myself. I let Lisa know I was going to run out and get to them. I knew it would be faster if I did because this traffic wasn't going to clear up anytime soon. Leaving my patrol car on the emergency lane, I got out, running as fast as I could to the child who needed help.

I knocked on the window when I got to the car, moving aside when the mother acknowledged me. Opening the back door, I immediately saw her son non-responsive. I went into a panic but I needed to remain calm for Wendy.

"Wendy, I'm Officer Acciolli, I'm here to help as best as I can until medical attention can make their way here. Everything will be alright, ma'am."

I knew I was giving her false hope if her son didn't start breathing again. This was always a risk but I was going to do everything in my power to ensure her son would make it out of this alive.

"What's your sons name?" I asked her, taking him out of his car seat, laying him out along the seat. I started compression, getting about thirty in every two minutes. I made sure nothing was blocking his pathway and when the compressions didn't seem to be working, I began giving him two breaths. Please don't be too late.

I was doing this for what felt like hours, all while trying to keep Wendy from losing her sanity. As I did another two breaths for the countless time, I felt and heard breathing coming from Jared. Thank god. I was quick to lay out an extra shirt I had in my patrol car beside him, quickly turning him to his side when he began to throw up. This was normal considering all the pressure he just had against his chest. He's going to be okay.

When Jared was able to catch a breath, I smiled at the two year old when he looked at me. "Hi Jared, I'm Officer Acciolli, I came to help you and your mother. Can you sit up?" I asked him, slowly helping him sit up when he got the energy to do so. I grabbed the shirt, tying it up so none of the throw up got on his mother's seats.

Amelia
"You know, no one overthinks things more than I do, but you're for sure a close second, my friend. If you like him there's no harm in flirting." Shrugging my shoulders casually, I set down the wine selection, deciding I didn't need it with the full day's work I had ahead of me. Don't think about it. This is your moment of normalcy before you go into overdrive. Don't waste it.

I knew my comment about flirting would throw Isabel off because I was usually reserved and restrained from making that kind of comment. "What? I'm just being honest. If ya can't beat him play the game, for fun. It doesn't have to lead to anything serious. If anything you'd be teaching him there's more than the kind he's used to. Explore the man, you're young and if he hurts you, I'll kick his ass. He has enough money to reconstruct it. But there's no harm in testing the waters, it teaches you what you want in 'the one' if he isn't it."

Wendy
The day Jared was born was the happiest moment of my life. Before he was born other mothers tried their best to describe what the feeling would be like when I first laid my eyes on his precious face, but it wasn't until I saw him I understood how indescribable the feeling was. Before I was Jared's mother I couldn't fathom loving another human being as much as I loved my son. I was oblivious that such a love even existed and with every day that passed, the love I had for him only flourished with age. Now that I had that kind of love to give, I couldn't imagine my life without my son and it wasn't until I watched Officer Acciolli tend to my near lifeless son that I had to grip the horrific reality that my son was not promised to me for the rest of my life.

As I failed to keep myself composed, watching Jared receive CPR by an officer who was half standing in a downpour to save his life, I was reminded of the day I brought my son into the world, the deep-rooted love, but now I began to understand the grief of a mother's loss was almost as strong as the love she carried. The unsettling feeling rumbled in a low pit of my stomach, the uncontrollable screams that abducted my breath from my lungs was a symptom of my fearful quaking. I can't lose my son, please don't let this be his end. Please, God.

I hadn't realized in my despair I was pleading to Officer Acciolli and not just to myself.

"Please, please, please, help him!'

"Is he breathing? Is he breathing?"

The seconds felt like separate lifetimes and I couldn't take it for much longer. I wasn't even understanding why this happened. Toddlers don't just quit breathing from a fever. I felt completely helpless to my son, relying on a stranger to save him.

As the silence from Jared persisted, my pleas only became more demanding.

"You have to do something else! It's not working!"

Then I heard it. The gasp that brought my son back to me. All I wanted to do was hold him like he was just born again because that's the best comparison I could give.

"Jared! Oh my God, Jared!"

Jumping from the driver's seat to my son, I sat next to Jared while the officer who saved his life continued to examine him. My tears were now ones of joy and shock this man revived my life as a mother. Looking over towards him, taking my baby in my arms when he was let go, I said the only thing I could in this moment no matter how inadequate it was.

"Thank you."

Isabel
I was shook when Amelia told me there was no harm in flirting with the cowboy that seemed to consume my thoughts. I considered flirting, maybe just seeing where it would lead, but the thought of it leading anywhere but good makes me sick. I wasn't even sure if Dawson would play the game with me. He never responded to my text. Maybe he took it the wrong way. I had to hold back the groan that threatened to leave my mouth as I listened to Amelia, putting my face in my hands before I shook my head, letting my hands drop back down against the table as I looked at Amelia.

"I cannot believe you, Amelia Carson, just told me it was okay to the test the waters. Are you really my best friend right now?" I asked her teasingly with a laugh, sipping more of my merlot before I bit my lip. "I wouldn't be opposed to flirting with him but I really don't think he would be into that. I'm just the crazy woman he saved from being impaled. The only reason I got his number was because he wanted to replace what he broke. He doesn't need to so that should be the end of it." I shrugged, biting my lip hoping that wasn't the case. I never had a strong confidence in myself, so I automatically thought no man ever found me attractive, despite being in relationships before. "I don't know. We'll just see what happens I guess."

Jayden
The outcome that occurred was one I didn't think would happen. I told Wendy her son would be alright in hopes of calming her down, to reassure myself that the little boy could make it, but I knew the chances of reviving him were slim and it made me sick. I always dreaded calls like this. I wasn't a father, I didn't know what it was like to have children but I knew what it was like to have a parent taken away, especially your mother. I knew was grief felt like and I couldn't imagine how much worse Wendy's would have been if her son didn't start breathing again.

I moved out of the way, the upper half of my body now in the pouring rain, my chest rising and falling at a rapid pace as I tried to calm myself down. The adrenaline had kicked in as it always did with a child in despair but now Jared was okay. Breathe. I watched Wendy jump from the front seat to the back, holding her son as he began to cry from his throat hurting and fever, hugging his mom closely. I watched the two embrace each other, thankful the two of them would be okay. When Wendy looked at me, I knew she was struggling to find the words to thank me. She didn't needed to thank me. I was doing what I know I was meant to do in this world. I helped someone who needed it. I smiled gently at her before nodding. "No need to thank me. The medics are making their way through traffic since it seems to be flowing a bit more. They want to examine Jared and make sure he's alright." I told her gently. I wanted to move my car closer but I knew I shouldn't leave the mother and son alone after what they endured until the medics arrived, so I stayed, waiting outside the car, watching as traffic moved and the rain continued hitting against my skin.

I heard the sirens approaching, noticing the blue and red lights as the ambulance made their way through traffic to us. When they did, I left Wendy and Jared in their care, going to move my car and redirect traffic accordingly. A couple more minutes passed and I had no idea what the medics told Wendy but when Eric walked over, I asked. "How's Jared? Is he going to be alright?"

Amelia
Hearing Isabel trying to talk herself out of her interest in Dawson, I couldn't help but laugh. This was one of her habits whenever she was afraid to get close to someone. It made me wonder what went through her head when we became as close as we did, but I never bothered to ask. I figured if it came up, she would tell me the juicy details if she wanted to. Now that I was a part of her life in such a significant way. I didn't really care how we got here.

"Bel, love, stop playing dumb now. You know if he wanted to fix your camera, he would have just given you the money to replace it, or ask for an address to send it to, not give you his number. Perhaps he was just trying to be nice, but you gotta know that wasn't his only intention. He's a man. Isabel. They aren't hard to figure out. Us on the other hand, good luck," I said in a playful sigh before I sipped my sweet tea, giggling at my own joke.

Catching her glare, I felt my expression go wide. "What? I know, your best friend found her way around men, shocking huh? Look, all I'm saying, is sometimes people are worth the risk, you just have to follow your gut and know when those people show up. If he's not it, then he isn't let it go. But if he is and you're ignoring it because you're scared, that's pretty dumb because you don't get a second chance to find people like that."

While I enjoyed my lunch with Isabel, I was quickly drawn back into the nonstop nature of the news cycle. While replacing my laptop and having lunch, I missed the opportunity to cover a breaking news event and I was kicking myself for it because in a matter of a few hours, it went viral.

A local Dallas PD officer ran through the downpour on the interstate to save a two-year-old boy's life. Those were the kind of stories that tugged at my heartstrings, they were why I did what I did, but the fact that it got so much media attention felt like a slap in the face from myself. Breaking News was my beat for the AP and the one time it produced something exciting, I wasn't the first to cover it. Well, this sucks ass. I really needed that. Thanks, universe. Could this day get any worse? Aha, I'm just kidding universe, please don't show me how much worse it can get.

Sending the story to Isabel in a text, I vented my obvious frustration.

"Are you kidding me? Why? (Smacking myself in the face emoji). "

"This is officially the worst day in a while. Catch me crying in a corner later, oh wait, I can't because i have to finish this dumb video that cost me a reputation. Ahahahahahahahha."

Isabel
I wanted to believe Amelia was right when she said there was more to Dawson giving me his number than simply paying for my camera. I really did but it just wasn't possible and I had nobody to blame but myself for that. Lunch with Amelia was a good time to meet up before we both had to go separate ways so she could finish her video. I knew what it felt like to be pressured the way she was. God always seemed to play tricks right before an assignment was due, causing us to lose our sanity but we still managed to get the job done.

Now that I was back in the comfort of my apartment, I sat on my couch, turning on the TV to watch the next Hallmark movie that was coming on. I loved the movies that showed during this time of year. It wasn't quite the Countdown to Christmas yet but it was going to be the minute Thanksgiving passed. That only meant I would be in my couch every chance I could get, sinking in it as I watched movie after movie, even if I've already seen a few.

When Amelia texted me, I was comtemplating what I wanted to do tonight. I wasn't sure if I wanted to cook dinner or go out with some colleagues from work. They had mentioned wanting to hit up a new bar and club and I wasn't opposed to the idea. I learned both could definitely be my scene, maybe because I knew how to adapt well to different environments. Mm, the bar sounds nice.

Looking at my phone, I opened Amelia's text, reading the headline for the story she sent. I knew she was more than likely beating herself up and I felt horrible. She should've been able to go out and cover that story but sadly she had to stay in an Apple store and try to restore what she almost lost because of the rain. Biting my lip, I responded quickly.

"Mm, no ma'am, not allowed. I can go over with some dinner and a brand new bottle of wine to prevent you from crying, or we can hold it off as a celebratory get together for when you finish that story. I'm here if ya need me. Don't hesitate to call."

After texting Amelia, I backed out of our text thread, biting my lip when I saw Dawson's name right under hers. Sighing, I locked my phone, setting it aside before I laid out on my couch, deciding on taking a nap before I go out, whether at the bar or Amelia's house tonight.

When I woke up two hours later, I yawned, rubbing the fresh sleep out of my eyes before I sat up and stretched, going to the Spotify app on my tv, playing some country music as I got up and grabbed my laptop, checking my email. I was trying to see if the event coordinator sent me the schedule of the event but I hadn't seen anything yet. Opening Amelia's text thread, I texted her again.

"Hope the video is going good. I fell asleep but I'm up now (smiling face emoji)."

Amelia
At this point I just wanted the day to be over and meet the deadline so I wouldn't lose my job. Despite Isabel's empathy I couldn't let go of the fact I missed such an amazing story. As much as I wanted to break away from breaking news, I would have loved the chance to get the officer's perspective of his heroic action, at a different angle than it was covered. Of course, the reporter who replaced me at the AP painted him as a heroic officer because that's what he was, but she should have known that the officer wouldn't consider himself a hero because of his passion for his career. I could tell by the bystander videos that were taken that the man had a compassion for children, while he was saving Jared, it was obvious to me he was unable to hold back his emotion in such a trying emergency and I wanted to understand his personal connection. If I would have picked him the right way, it would have taken the story to the next level and now that I would possibly never know why he reacted so emotionally, it was going to drive me insane.

As much as I tried to forget about the story I missed, every time I attempted to refocus on the continuing agriculture disaster brought on my the worse drought in years. It was leaving farmers out of business and niches of people hungry. As far as I was concerned, the hunger epidemic would always be newsworthy.

Catching a breath, I cupped my face in frustration, feeling a tension headache arising. Setting the laptop aside, I took the time to notice Isabel wanting my attention. I'm glad one of us is having a relaxing day.

"Good morning, Sleepy Beauty. It's going, but I don't know how good it is. No need to come to my rescue, I'll be alright on my own. I've been holding ya captive for the past few days. Go have fun with your less stressed out friends! Love you."

Isabel
When I read Amelia's text, I let out a gentle sigh as I shook my head. I always disliked when Amelia told me to go hang out with my other friends and that was never her fault. It was one of my own insecurities and she understood that. Opening up the text on my phone, I responded her as quickly as I could before responding to my co-workers that had been blowing up my phone while I was sleeping.

"If you say so. I got a pizza on the way for ya because I need you to eat something. Barbecue chicken is what I chose. Enjoy it and let me know if I need to come over with a bottle of wine later because you know I will!"

After I responded to Amelia, I texted back my colleagues, letting them know I would meet them for dinner before we headed out to the newest bar in the city for the night then the club. I knew it was a Monday but we were never ones to wait until the weekend to try out a new place in town. We had to get the scoop for ourselves anyways.

Getting up from the couch, I walked to my room, getting for a night out before I went back on assignment tomorrow. I decided on something simple yet cute and after I finished getting ready I met up with everyone at the restaurant they chose, ordering a margarita to start the night. I had to watch my count, not wanting to go too far to where I would be cruda.

Dinner went rather well, we all talked and joked, enjoying each others company but when we hit up the bar, we sat in a booth together and took in the scene. It was a really nice bar, located in the heart of Dallas so I knew the owner would have no trouble keeping business up. The drinks were really good too and worth what I was paying. There was more than enough alcohol in them.

"So Isabel, tell us about the rodeo. How did it go? It was your first one ever right?" I heard Bethany ask. I instantly thought of Dawson, his beautiful hazel eyes and shook my head. Horrible.

"It went pretty smooth, honestly," Until you almost got impaled. "The people there are the sweetest and the riding is thrilling. I want to cover another one but I'm not sure if I ever will." I explained.

"Did you meet any of the Covington's? I've heard there some of the sweetest people despite their wealth."

"Well, I met Brett and Dawson Covington. Brett was a real sweetheart, very passionate about what he does. I wrote my story on him because he deserved it. All the other vultures asked the same annoying ten questions so he needed something fresh."

"And Dawson?"

I couldn't help the stupid smile that spread across my face when Beth brought him up. You're so charmed it's ridiculous. So as we sat drinking our concoctions, I explained how I met the cowboy, how I climbed the fence and he pulled me off, breaking my camera in the process. Everyone thought it was such a fascinating story but I ignored their teasing with a rolling of my eyes.

"Y'all shut up." I said, taking a sip of the whiskey I ordered, enjoying the burn the amber liquid gave me as it trailed down my throat.

Amelia
I wasn't surprised when Isabel actually went out with her group of work friends. Over the last few weeks, she had been itching to enter the bar scene and I just wasn't in the mood to go. I never really liked the bar scene and after how my last time at the bar ended, I knew I wouldn't have the desire to go back for fun.

"You didn't have to do that but enjoy your night."

Knowing Isabel would be preoccupied the rest of the evening I set down the phone and got lost in my work.

The following morning I woke up in a jolt when I was brought of my comatose state by the sun breaking through the bent blinds I never bothered to replace. It's morning. You fell asleep out here.

Groaning, I wiped the sleep from eyes before moving the laptop off my lap and onto the coffee table. I couldn't remember what time I fell asleep, but I vaguely remembered finishing the edits but I couldn't remember if I sent it off to my editor.

"I need coffee," I mumbled to myself getting up from the couch to stretch out my jello legs on the way to the kitchen. Looking at the clock on the oven it was 9:30 meaning I couldn't have slept longer than five hours, but that was normal running time for me lately.

Picking out a mug from my massive collection, I picked my usual Folgers K-cup and pressed the brew button. "Yes, please," I whispered prancing back to the living room for my laptop and dead phone to work while I waited. But first, I had to check my thread with Isabel to see if she made it home alright. Not wanting to wake her after a night out, I satisfied myself with checking her location I was not prepared to see her anywhere but her apartment. Instead, I found her the last place I imagined.. Over her picture, I saw nothing but green but in the green was a name.

"Covington Ranch."

Gasping, I laughed.

"This bitch," I whispered furiously typing her a message, not caring if i woke her now.

"I SEE YOU. What are you doing?! I NEED the tea when you come home. Get it, girllllllllll Love you!!!"

Isabel
Last night was wild. When my coworkers asked about the Covington's, I happily obliged and told them what they wanted to know. I let them know Brett was an absolute sweetheart and Dawson was definitely something. I was expecting them to tease me when I told them how Dawson and I met. What I wasn't expecting was the man of the hour to show up out of the blue and finish my sentence. Right before I could tell them he broke my camera, Dawson Covington did so himself and I was taken aback by his presence. I remember clearing my throat, heat rushing to my cheeks and making them blush. Why the hell are you here?

"Guys, meet Dawson Covington." I told my co-workers, watching them happily greet the cowboy. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I wanted to know why the hell he was here, why the hell he decided to walk over? Surely there was a reason but he wasn't giving anything away, and I couldn't stop admiring how good he looked in his jeans, buttoned down flannel that was tucked it and the boots. Dear lord, the cowboy get up does wonders.

"We'll go ahead and give y'all some time alone." I heard Beth say before she and the others got up and walked to the dance floor. I was still in awe of the man standing at the end of the table. Get a grip. I cleared my throat again before I addressed him, motioning for him to sit in the empty side of the booth. We talked, we laughed, we drank. I drank way too much and I know I did because we ended up on the small dance floor, dancing together with laughs filling the air as we did. He was breathtaking. His cologne filling my nostrils. He was gentle as we danced and when we finished, our gazes were glued to one another. That's when everything went downhill. That's when we kissed, and let me tell you, it was passionate, hot and heavy, all while being so freaking magical. He was taking my heart one day at a time and before I knew it, we left the bar together in his truck, leaving my fiat behind because I was way past being able to drive myself home. I never expected what happened to happen.

Where we ended up wasn't somewhere I was expecting but I didn't protest. We drove the forty-five minutes to Fort Worth, specifically to the Covington Ranch. Dawson had mentioned he was spending his last couple of free days here before he had to head back to the base. We didn't get into the specifics of what he did but I was intrigued to say the least. I didn't peg him being military but knowing he was attracted me to him even more. It's because of the damn uniform.

While in the main living room of the house, Dawson did his best to sober me up while we talked about meaningless things, at least I think they were. I didn't remember much of what we spoke about but I do remember sobering up after an hour or so. When I did is when the atmosphere changed because I saw the look in his eyes and I knew I was returning it. I wanted to do so much more than just talk for the rest of the night. I wanted my lips on his again. I wanted to cuddle against him, feel his body against mine. You shouldn't be thinking like that, Isabel.

It only took seconds before I was off the couch, sauntering over towards him as I let my black curly hair down from the bun it was holding itself in. I remember licking my lips as I inched closer and once I was finally sitting in his lap, I let out that stupid playful smile. The stupid one that spread across my face every time I thought about him. The one only he caused.

I kissed him. I kissed him as hard and passionately as I could, reigniting what I felt when he kissed me back at the bar. I wanted more even though I knew I shouldn't but I couldn't hold back. With his arms wrapped around my waist, mine around his neck, fingers running through his hair, everything felt so right. Being here with him, kissing him, felt so freaking right. I hadn't felt that with any guy before and I didn't want it to end. I know he didn't either because before I knew it, he picked me up, walking up to his room while I let out a squeal and a playful laugh. From there, things progressed beautifully and I didn't think I was going to regret what we did. I was wrong.

The Next Morning

Fort Worth, Texas
Isabel
Hearing light rain pattering against the window was the best way I could ever wake up. I loved the rain and how calm it made me. Letting out a yawn, I turned from my side to my back, stretching out my body before I opened my eyes. I feel sore. I woke up in a place I wasn't familiar with, wrapped up in a navy comforter, fully naked underneath. The room was massive, especially the window that extended from the floor to the roof. I bet it allowed so much natural light in but the sun was covered by clouds, just how I liked. It was another rainy day and I was looking forward to it. I feel sore. What the hell happened last night? I sat up, keeping myself wrapped in the blanket for warmth. I felt my head begin pounding, knowing instantly I was hungover. I feel like shit. That's when I remembered everything from the night before. Fuck.

Groaning, I rubbed my face with my hands, shaking my head as I tried to get a grip. Okay, y'all hooked up, so what? People have hookups from a bar all the time. I wanted to believe myself when I said this was just a hookup but I knew it wasn't. It had so much meaning that I didn't want right now. It was meaning and emotions that sent me into a straight panic. Where's my phone? I need to talk to Amelia. Looking around the room, I spotted nothing. I didn’t see my purse or clothes and my anxiety kicked in even more. Chill out. You’re fine. You had casual, meaningless sex with the cowboy. Nothing’s gonna come out of this. It just can’t. I’m too focused on work right now and I still have so much I wanted to do before I gave up some of my independence for a man. Dawson’s worth it though and I knew he was but what about all the what if’s? What if none of this works out and I’m a wreck? What if he genuinely hurts me? Or what if he finds out I’m not good enough and leaves?

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a knock on the door. My eyes met gorgeous hazel ones and I instantly calmed down. What the hell? That never happens. Biting my lip, I cleared my throat, not knowing what to say.

"Mornin'." Was all that managed to escape my lips. Real smooth, Anes.

Last edited:
Last night…
Dawson
After spending my moments of peace talking with Isabel and Jayden, my phone became a second priority when I noticed just how much needed to be tended to on the ranch. With the winter season approaching, my parents needed more hands than they had and after being raised here, I couldn’t just pretend to be a visitor.

A common misconception for anyone who knew me assumed because I had a fortunate upbringing, I never had to experience hard labor. That was a joke. Yes, we came from old money, but my father, being the man he was, never used the wealth as an excuse to not put me to work. I grew up beside the ranch hands learning how to muck stalls and load hay barrels. As much as I hated it growing up, I appreciated it now because I understood the values of hard work and respect. It was a humbling experience, and I knew when the time came, I knew I wanted to take a page from my dad’s book and teach my children the same.

Spending the morning taking on my usual chores and then some, I did all that I could do before the brisk winds picked up and the storm that over casted Dallas most of the morning peaked its ugly eye to Fort Worth.

That’s when Jayden called to tell me about saving the little boy and asked me to go out for drinks with him later because he needed a moment to come back to earth. Of course, I agreed. Both because I never turned down a good drink and Jayden, well, I hate to call him out and say he’s a softy, but he isn’t exactly the toughest guy around, even though his gym routine paints a different picture for the ladies. I knew after what occurred today and how fast it blew up, he needed someone he could trust when he let his emotions get the best of him.

After Jayden’s shift ended we met at our usual bar spot when I came to Dallas. After a few beers, I was able to loosen my friend’s strings, but on the low, like everyone else, I admired Jayden’s actions for saving a life. As much as I pulled his leg for wearing his heart on his sleeve, I couldn’t say I made as much of an impact on a daily basis as he did.

After paying for our drinks, I hugged my friend in a quick farewell, as he wanted to head to the gym to run off the rest of his steam with whatever he did, I didn’t gym, the ranch was enough.

It was when I turned to leave myself that I saw Isabel. At first, I thought I was hallucinating, but her laugh drew me in. It’s her.

Like I said, I’m not a softy like Jay, I can’t say that I’m the type of man that believes in fate or love at first sight; it all seems a little far-fetched if you ask me, but I do believe I would have been a fool if I let her walk away a second time without letting her know who I really was and not who everyone pictured me to be.

After reading her story about Brett, I was blown away. From behind the scenes, I truly thought the woman was insane for jumping a fence to catch a picture, but actually seeing the picture gave me a new perspective. Isabel wasn’t aimlessly insane, the woman was insanely talented. After being a witness to her craft without appreciating it, this was my shot to make up for it.

Approaching the table, I heard her telling the story of how we ran into each other and I had to hold back a chuckle. Oh man, maybe this is fate? What were the odds of walking up to that? I wasn’t sure, but I did know the odds of me making my introduction out of it. 10 0ut of 10.

“And then we collided, not so gracefully I might add, the camera had seen its better days and that was sadly its last.”

After a somewhat awkward silence and seeing Isabel become speechless, I did my best to mend the situation in true southern gentlemen fashion.

“Sorry for interrupting, how are y’all tonight? Having fun?” I asked politely, holding out a hand to everyone once Isabel introduced me to her group of friends.

Once they all scattered to avoid me, for a second, I regretted walking over here, thinking I just ruined Isabel’s night like I had in our first encounter. You’re really bad at being smooth with her, Covington.

“Uhh, sorry for making them leave, I just thought I saw you over here and, actually, I don’t even know. I wasn’t thinking. I just saw you and didn’t think much past that.”

You sound like Jayden.

“Can I buy you a drink?”

When she laughed and invited me to join her I didn’t feel so much like a fool.

That’s how I learned her drink and ended up making a joke about it the rest of the night by only calling her Whiskey. I never pegged a woman like her to be a whiskey drinker, but being a Covington, I also knew better to assume anything about her.

The conversations we had at the bar, they were smooth, she was easy to talk to and after a few drinks, completely open.

We talked about her being from South Texas and why she moved to the north. She conveyed to me how hard she worked to get where she was after the upbringing she had, and much like I had with Jayden saving a child today, I found her determination inspiring. Even though my parents did their best to teach me what it meant to work for success, I always had their means to fall back on if I struggled. Isabel didn’t have a safety net and hearing her talk about her struggles, made me appreciate her for what she did even more, because she earned it through nothing but herself. I couldn’t say the same.

Her story was compelling and sparked an excitement to be with her that I never felt before.

Looking into her eyes, I couldn’t help but get lost in them before a subtle courage overcame me.

“Do you want to dance with me?”

I knew there had to be a stupid grin on my face and I was embarrassed about it, but I knew I wouldn’t regret where this was going.

With one hand holding hers and the other supporting her back, I got lost in her eyes again, Neon Moon playing over the speakers. Holding her felt right and I couldn’t help my own drunken whispering while we clumsily swayed together.

“I just wanted you to know, I could care less about the business. I saved you because you needed saving,” I whispered before we both laughed at my cliché confession.

“I didn’t want you to get hurt.”

I didn’t think I would notice how cute you were.

Twirling her carefully, not wanting to fall over, I pulled her closer towards me than before when she returned.

In a moment of drunken passion, I let go of her back bringing my hand to her face, I kissed her, tasting the whiskey on her lips.

When I took her home, it was only supposed to be to keep an eye on her until the morning, but my gentlemen intentions didn’t last when she came onto me.

After sitting with her for over an hour, holding her hand, I listened to her tell me things I knew tomorrow she wouldn’t want me to know while making sure she drank water. She told me I was different, that no man charmed her the way I had and it made her feel something she was afraid to feel. That was when I let go of her and moved across the room. She was still drunk and I didn’t want her to think I was taking advantage of her, but what I couldn’t understand is why the men in her past would want to when she was the type of woman she was.

As much as I knew after one drunken night together, Isabel was still a mystery to me.

Looking onto her, I thought her exhaustion was setting in, smiling in her direction I felt adrenaline take over when she got up from the couch, making her way towards me, her hair falling in front of me before she sat herself on top of me.

What did I get myself into? Lord, help me.

I wasn’t expecting to end the night with a woman I had no hopes of swooning coming to bed with me, but I couldn’t say I hated our sweaty bodies being intertwined most of the night. The chemistry was undeniable.

The Next Morning…

My first thought when I woke up the following morning was there was a woman in my bed and I wasn’t sure if she would remember how we spent the night. I worried when she put the pieces together the whole thing would end horribly. The last thing I wanted was for Isabel to think all I wanted from her was sex. It just, happened.

Waking before her, I shot out of bed with these thoughts and I knew I had to pull all the stops for her to not call me a sleaze bag. I wasn’t sure what this was, if it was just a one night stand we would both try to pretend never happened or if it would lead to something more, but I needed it to end on a good note either way.

Leaving her to sleep off the hangover I knew would greet her when she came back to reality, I picked up her clothes and put them in the washer, after carefully reading the tags to make sure I didn’t ruin her clothes the same way I did the camera. Next, I found her dead phone on the coffee table and plugged it in in the kitchen while I went to take a quick shower before starting breakfast.

I wasn’t sure what she liked, but I knew she needed food after last night. Going for the usual farmer’s breakfast, I made everything, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, and biscuits and honey, hoping she would like something if not, I would make her something else when she could tell me what she did like.

Starting the coffee, I realized I didn’t know how she liked that either. You don’t know anything about her but you went to bed with her. You are a Covington.

In between all of this, I moved her clothes from the washer to the dryer and looked in the medicine cabinet to find something to cure her inevitable headache. While popping the lid to the aspirin, my hands were shaking. I was nervous.

Too bad you’re not as confident as you were last night.

Finishing breakfast I decided to make her plate with everything on it and carried everything she would need to the room. Here goes nothing.

Knocking on the door before I entered, I pushed the door open with my foot, catching a breath when we locked gazes for an awkward moment about the elephant in the room. I was relieved when she was the one to break the silence.

“Good morning,” I replied, catching the clot in my throat, before setting the plate down next to her and setting the aspirin and water on the nightstand.

“I’m not the best chef around here, but I figured you’d want to eat something. Your clothes on in the dryer, I washed them the way the tags said to, I didn’t want to ruin em’ and your phone is charging in the kitchen,” I commented in a ramble, not knowing what else to say, rubbing my neck in discomfort.

“Um, I put a clean towel in the bathroom for your shower and you can use anything that’s in there and if you don’t like anything that’s here for breakfast, I can make something else. How do you take your coffee?”

Isabel
He's literally the sweetest.

When I woke up and faced the man I went to bed with, I never expected for me to still feel the same rush of excitement I did last night. I wasn't expecting for all of this to still feel so right. I thought once I remembered everything I let slip out of my mouth last night, everything I didn't want him to know, I was going to hate but now as I stared at the cowboy, getting lost in his beautiful hazel eyes, I honestly could tell myself I didn't hate that I told him anything. In fact, I was glad I did. Talking to him was easy.

I also wasn't expecting for Dawson Covington to be such a true and southern gentleman. He made me breakfast, everything he could possibly think of, and it made my stomach growl the moment I smelled it.

I listened to him ramble on, watching him set the breakfast beside me, the water and aspirin on the bedside table. When he explained that he washed my clothes, following the instructions on the tag, I tried not to laugh. I didn't even wash my clothes according to what the tag said. He was trotting the boundaries so carefully and I didn't like it. I wanted everything to go smoothly today, even if I knew once I left, I could never contact him again. Hear me out, he's definitely a man I would enjoy getting to know more but I was afraid to do it. I wasn't trying to get my heart broken yet again because let's be real, all the men I previously dated were shit.

Before I could say anything, he asked how I took my coffee. I didn't want to be rude and tell him I wasn't the biggest fan of it, or that I still wasn't fond of swallowing pills. He was trying so hard to make everything as relaxed as he could despite knowing so little about me. He's making an effort, something that usually doesn't happen.

I motioned him closer, wrapping the comforter closer around me so that it wouldn't fall. When he sat in front of me, I let out a genuine smile, the only one he caused, while I took his hands in mine and rubbed my thumbs on the back of them. Looking at him, I let out a soft giggle.

"Alright Six, first off take a breather, I ain't gonna hurt ya." I began, watching him instantly relax which is what I wanted. I didn't like the tension rising in the room. "I eat just about anything so thank you for the breakfast. I'm impressed you read the tags because I don't even do that but I appreciate it, just like I appreciate everything else you've done for me."

Leaning closer, I kissed his cheek softly, instantly smelling his cologne. It was as intoxicating as ever. Instead of pulling away instantly, I rest my forehead against his shoulder, releasing a gentle breath before I finally pulled back and let go of his hands.

"Also, I don't really drink coffee," I scrunched up my nose, hoping I didn't offend him with what I said as I grabbed the pill and water, trying my hardest to swallow it without looking like a whimp in front of him. Thankfully it all worked out.

"But because such a lovely cowboy made me some, I usually take it with creamer and sugar. There's never too much sugar." I told him gently, pulling the loose thing sheet under the comforter before wrapping myself in it very carefully. "I'm gonna go shower really fast but I promise after I do, I'll come eat. It smells too delicious not to."

With that, I got out of the bed, thin sheet wrapped around me as I walked off to the bathroom, admiring how massive it was. "Wow." I whispered to myself, wishing my bathroom was this big back at my apartment. Letting the sheet fall to the ground, I turned on the shower, admiring how the water fell like rain. Oh my freaking god. The Covington's had pretty much everything I wanted in my own home one day.

After I showered, I walked out realizing I had no clothes. Biting my lip, I kept the towel wrapped around my body with one wrapped around my hair. I opened the door, peaking my head out to see if Dawson was in the room, thankful when I didn't find him. I moved swiftly across the room, grabbing the only thing I could find, one of Dawson's flannels.

As I slowly buttoned up the warm material, I turned around out, catching a lump in my throat when I saw Dawson. How much did he watch? I felt frozen to where I was standing, not sure what to say or do but I managed to pull myself out of it while I smiled.

"Hey. Sorry about stealing one of your shirts but I figured my clothes were still drying and I didn't have anything, plus your clothes are comfortable which is a bonus." I said with a giggle, pulling out the towel from my hair as my black curls fell, instantly scrunching up and framing my face. "So what did you cook for me, Chef?"

Dawson
I wasn't sure what I despised more, the obvious tension in the room, or me reminiscing on the night before in my head and wanting to do it again. I wasn't proud of last night, I was very much ashamed in the aftermath, but I still couldn't say I regretted how we spent the night. This whole thing was ludicrous, as I let her give me permission to occupy my own bed, I took a deep breath when I felt her fingers in between mine as they had been the night before. I wanted to shoot up out of the bed and stand clear across the other side of the room and plead to her I was nothing like this, that I didn't just bring girls home to spend the night with me in the lavish home I had built for me while I was out on my first deployment shortly after enlisting in the Navy, but I wasn't going to, I knew it was a long shot for her to accept my truth as the truth and not some overplayed excuse to make her feel special and less used for her body.

You're a fucking idiot, Dawson.

At her attempt to break the ice the sour taste in my mouth still lingered.

If only you could taste her lips again.

Getting so lost in my temptations I almost forgot what she said when she said it. Coffee, she was talking about coffee.

"Cream and lots of sugar got it, I'll see what I can whip up for ya."

Taking the plate with me, I set it on the island for her to come find after her shower.

Pouring our coffees, I made hers carefully, partly feeling bad I didn't ask her what she preferred instead. I wasn't prepared to have a woman over. Setting it with her breakfast, I sipped my own while looking out the kitchen window wondering how in the hell I let this happen. As much attention I got from the ladies, the cocky demeanor was a facade I used, knowing they only wanted my attention for my looks and the money, but with Isabel I let my guard down, because aside from the one serious girlfriend i had on and off since high school, Isabel didn't want my attention, I wanted hers.

Biting my lip in frustration I set the mug down in a hurry when I heard the dryer finish its cycle. Grabbing Isabel's clothes I hurried back to the room where I was planning to play her clothes out for her to find when she got out of the shower but when I reentered I saw she already had. Stopping in the doorway, not wanting to frighten her that I caught her off guard I watched her button one of my heavy flannels It made me feel weak in the knees.

Catching my voice I smiled at her.

"It's okay, I think it looks better on you anyways. I was just bringing you your clothes if you want them. It's kinda cold out so you can keep the flannel." Setting the clothes on the bed, I just stood there, smiling again when she asked about breakfast.

"There's a little bit of everything, it's in the kitchen if you want it. After I can take you back to your car if you have some place else to be, just let me know."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back