• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Anabasis ||| An Interest Check

GStheGM

Scribe
Anabasis; a meta-roleplay where you play a character who is in turn playing a character in a virtual reality game on a roleplay server.
-------------------------------------------------
That is the pitch as simplified as I can make it.

In a bit more detail; I'd like to run a game where people take the role of gamers operating their in-game avatars during the early days of a new full-dive style virtual reality game experience called Anabasis, which is in the canon of the rp a fully realized video-game with a plot about humankind waking up millenia in the future after having been saved from elimination by a benevolent overseer race and having to work for that species in order to afford upkeep on the new human homeworld and be outfitted with the gear necessary to deal with other extraterrestrial threats. The game itself will be the setting and your main interaction with the world will not be playing as your character, but as their avatar.

The game will have several playable classes that I've done quick writeups for and kit loadouts which will effect your character's avatar's equipment and basic abilities, but you will be free to roleplay utilizing it in unique and interesting ways and we can talk about progression/special abilities ooc of the sort they would get when they leveled up. The story will be broken up into separate quests and raids and the like, with loot handed out after each. There will also be in-game achievements and titles your characters can earn by taking on certain hidden/difficult/main story quests, as well as some silly little ooc achievements and titles I'll award roleplayers for awesome roleplay moments if people are interested in that sort of thing.

The reason I wanted to stage this as a roleplay within a roleplay is so that the core game elements could consist of combat and epic quests and danger; without actually risking the lives and livelihoods of the characters. This would allow for avatars to fight tooth and nail for their lives in titanic struggles, but also for loss to be a teaching tool rather than a failure, and for more mundane threats such as stress, caffiene crash, family members interrupting in the midst of raid calls, internet drop and other such things that people deal with on the daily to be the real looming threats.

So... yeah.

Let me know here if anyone is interested and if so I'll post up an OOC soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Absolutely. I have never been more down for a new rp.
Idea Idea My dude, cmon.

@Idea My dude, cmon.
Mhhhmmm.... I'm a little worried about the cyberpunk and multiverse labels, since I hate crossover RPs and punks in general... But the description itself doesn't seem to have much of that and I generally enjoy VRMMO RPs if they are minimally well-thought out, so I'll give it a chance, treat it as research in part, for my own in the works.

Mhhhmmm.... I'm a little worried about the cyberpunk and multiverse labels, since I hate crossover RPs and punks in general... But the description itself doesn't seem to have much of that and I generally enjoy VRMMO RPs if they are minimally well-thought out, so I'll give it a chance, treat it as research in part, for my own in the works.
That's basically exactly what I thought you'd say lol. Still can't want for your VRMMORP.

Absolutely. I have never been more down for a new rp.

I thank you for the positive response as well as for the referral. I'm glad you're interested.

Thank you for giving it an attempt. I wouldn't worry too much about the labels. They actually aren't a perfect descriptor of what I have planned, simply the nearest tag I could find to what I am actually going for, and apparently this site demands you do add them, so as this is my first interest check here I just went for it.

There are some elements from cyberpunk sources in terms of some of the themes, but it can more simply be described simply as 'sci-fi'.

As for the multiverse; I added that in as a bit of an afterthought. It isn't actually referring to crossovers, per-say, but rather the 'real' and 'game' universe in which the roleplay will take place.

If either of you has any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to share them.

Can you provide some examples of the playable classes? I wanna start brainstorming a possible avatar and player as soon as I can.

Thank you for giving it an attempt. I wouldn't worry too much about the labels. They actually aren't a perfect descriptor of what I have planned, simply the nearest tag I could find to what I am actually going for, and apparently this site demands you do add them, so as this is my first interest check here I just went for it.

There are some elements from cyberpunk sources in terms of some of the themes, but it can more simply be described simply as 'sci-fi'.

As for the multiverse; I added that in as a bit of an afterthought. It isn't actually referring to crossovers, per-say, but rather the 'real' and 'game' universe in which the roleplay will take place.
I see. The multiverse one is a little misleading, but got it. Looking forward to what you've got in store bud!

Ah, before I forget though, better make sure I can work with the logistics.
-What will be the post requirements?
-are there any restrictions regarding characters?
-what faceclaim types will be allowed?

and just for the heck of it
-will there be a discord OOC or will everything be in threads?

Can you provide some examples of the playable classes? I wanna start brainstorming a possible avatar and player as soon as I can.

Of course.
The classes are presented as compulsory jobs aboard the satellite, in the mythos of the game, so don't mind it if some of their titles sound a bit underwhelming.
I assure you I'm putting effort in to make them all unique and capable in their own right.

I'm in the middle of doing full write-ups for them, but I'll give you the cliffsnotes versions...

PEST CONTROL

Manage the pest population of nearby asteroids and planets utilizing a wide range of traps and chemical weapons to hunt, catch, and kill everything from Space Rats to Hulking Lucinite Trogs in your exciting new role of EXTERMINATOR.
A CC or 'Crowd Control' class used for laying down traps and debuffs on enemy mobs, and dealing limited Caustic damage in a zone.

If just controlling the pest population isn't enough, maybe take a try at controlling the pests themselves using a collection of breaking-edge technology and behavior-altering chemicals to tame a new brood of infinitely more interesting pets to replace all the guard-dogs, cats, and koalas lost when your world exploded as a HANDLER.
Plays as a typical tamer DPS class, with abilities centered around commanding, buffing and taking control of various alien creatures dealing a wide variety of damage types.

SECURITY

The Anabasis is a dangerous place, space even more so. We of Malach can't maintain the peace on our own. Wield Malachian armor, energy weaponry, and authority as you police the satellite, and the surrounding star system in your new role as a PEACEKEEPER
A straightforward DPS/Tank class built for putting down threats as soon as they arise, or holding the line against them depending on if you spec into skills tied to armor or weaponry. Has decent potential in melee or ranged combat and is good at utilizing weapons and equipment dealing Energy damage.

If you're a bit more brain than brawn access your very own Malachian Console and utilize a range of roving cameras and droids to deal justice at a distance as a SURVEYOR
A CC or Support summoner. Command varying pieces of tech through the use of a console and keep yourself in the back-line out of direct danger while being of aid to the whole crew by buffing and providing cover from afar. Low damage potential.

MEDICINE

Want to help your fellow man, as well as any other sapient species with a positive attitude towards you? Distribute chemical and technological restoratives to heal and improve those you care about as a MENDER
Support class all the way, utilizing buffs and restorative skills packaged as various forms of tech and advanced chemicals. Low damage potential, but highly valued.

If you want to earn your keep without much effort perhaps a job imbibing, ingesting, and being inoculated with experimental medicines and chemicals, so we can check if they are safe for public consumption, is for you. Do nothing, or possibly mutate into a Lucin-devouring rage monster, as a SUBJECT
Difficult to use Berserker class centered around self-maintained buffs and a temporary rage state that makes them hard to hurt while depleting other resources.

ENGINEERING

Utilize state of the art quick-patch technology to fix busted machines and repair downed defense systems on the fly, as well as modding their own gear and repairing that of allies on the fly as a REPAIRMAN
Support/Tank class capable of buffing ally armor and weaponry, bringing defenses on the map into play and keeping themselves in the fight despite what gets thrown at them.

Willing to pit your mind against the best and brightest Malach has to offer? Merge human innovation with superior technology to create new and improved walls, weapons, and what-have-yous as a TINKER
A Zoner and Control class who is capable of creating map obstacles, hazards, and high-yield single-use weaponry on the fly for themselves or their allies. Good at defending an area, or an individual, or just bullying the opposition.

RESOURCE COLLECTION

Even as advanced as the Anabasis is it hasn't quite reached the level of perpetual energy. The ship needs fuel, and the best source can be found in green crystals called Orilorite; you could join these valued members of society, pick up your Fraction Hammer and try your hand at the life of a MINER
A slow, but powerful Nuker and Zoner capable of creating terrain hazards and dealing devastating damage in short bursts, but unable to take similar punishment.

As much as the ship needs fuel, so too do it's people. Utilize high-tech sensors to uncover hidden water and food sources(Loot), and make use of enhanced growth fertilizer to rapidly produce food, and plants of varying utility as an AGRONOMIST
A CC and Support class who makes thorn-traps, summons oxygen-rich trees to prevent Oxygen loss, and makes it easier to find map resources among other things.

MAINTENANCE

It isn't only animals, asteroids, and aliens that threaten life as we know it. Speaking earnestly; the Children of Sol are not yet prepared for life among the stars as their immune systems aren't evolved enough to handle most extraterrestrial germs and contagions. That's where we put humanity's best and brightest to the test; utilizing high grade hazmat suits and Armageddon grade cleansers the remainder of Sol's surviving populace is kept safe by those humble heroes who hold the title of JANITOR
DPS class who deals Caustic damage and is especially good at taking down enemies that deal Infection.

Fighting contagion after the fact isn't the only method, though. Strong men and women are needed to eradicate the growing number of Lucin corpses before they rot. These honorable souls bear the name CREMATIONIST
Tank class good for preventing mob respawn and dealing Thermal damage at varying ranges.

I see. The multiverse one is a little misleading, but got it. Looking forward to what you've got in store bud!

Ah, before I forget though, better make sure I can work with the logistics.

-What will be the post requirements?
-are there any restrictions regarding characters?
-what faceclaim types will be allowed?
-will there be a discord OOC or will everything be in threads?

Yeah; sorry about that. I'll try and be more clear with such things in the future and not pick tags that are open to interpretation/confusion.

Post Requirements: Post requirements are fairly lax. I'm not going to demand you write a book every time it is your turn to reply.
That said; I'm not a big fan of one or two-sentence posts.
I'd say two-three decently constructed and well-thought-out paragraphs of moderate length minumum. Enough that you get the point of what you wish to say across and give enough detail for others to actually have something to reply to.
I don't know if I am under or over-shooting the average around here as I've only looked through about three dozen roleplays on this site thus far.

Character Restrictions: Your characters and their avatars are human. The game is still in the early phases and while there are some plans to make other alien races playable they haven't been implemented yet.
Furthermore the games t.o.s. requires players be at least thirteen years of age to make an account, though that effects the avatar more than the character as you can be a kid who lied about their age on the purchase site, or an oldtimer trying out a new hobby with your grandchildren anything between.

Faceclaims: We didn't actually do face-claims much on the sites I've come from, so I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I'll open this up to the interested players and simply ask what they want.

Discord: I have discord and if people want me to make an OOC channel for this group I will do so once my phone is charged.

Of course.
The classes are presented as compulsory jobs aboard the satellite, in the mythos of the game, so don't mind it if some of their titles sound a bit underwhelming.
I assure you I'm putting effort in to make them all unique and capable in their own right.

I'm in the middle of doing full write-ups for them, but I'll give you the cliffsnotes versions...

PEST CONTROL

Manage the pest population of nearby asteroids and planets utilizing a wide range of traps and chemical weapons to hunt, catch, and kill everything from Space Rats to Hulking Lucinite Trogs in your exciting new role of EXTERMINATOR.
A CC or 'Crowd Control' class used for laying down traps and debuffs on enemy mobs, and dealing limited Caustic damage in a zone.

If just controlling the pest population isn't enough, maybe take a try at controlling the pests themselves using a collection of breaking-edge technology and behavior-altering chemicals to tame a new brood of infinitely more interesting pets to replace all the guard-dogs, cats, and koalas lost when your world exploded as a HANDLER.
Plays as a typical tamer DPS class, with abilities centered around commanding, buffing and taking control of various alien creatures dealing a wide variety of damage types.

SECURITY

The Anabasis is a dangerous place, space even more so. We of Malach can't maintain the peace on our own. Wield Malachian armor, energy weaponry, and authority as you police the satellite, and the surrounding star system in your new role as a PEACEKEEPER
A straightforward DPS/Tank class built for putting down threats as soon as they arise, or holding the line against them depending on if you spec into skills tied to armor or weaponry. Has decent potential in melee or ranged combat and is good at utilizing weapons and equipment dealing Energy damage.

If you're a bit more brain than brawn access your very own Malachian Console and utilize a range of roving cameras and droids to deal justice at a distance as a SURVEYOR
A CC or Support summoner. Command varying pieces of tech through the use of a console and keep yourself in the back-line out of direct danger while being of aid to the whole crew by buffing and providing cover from afar. Low damage potential.

MEDICINE

Want to help your fellow man, as well as any other sapient species with a positive attitude towards you? Distribute chemical and technological restoratives to heal and improve those you care about as a MENDER
Support class all the way, utilizing buffs and restorative skills packaged as various forms of tech and advanced chemicals. Low damage potential, but highly valued.

If you want to earn your keep without much effort perhaps a job imbibing, ingesting, and being inoculated with experimental medicines and chemicals, so we can check if they are safe for public consumption, is for you. Do nothing, or possibly mutate into a Lucin-devouring rage monster, as a SUBJECT
Difficult to use Berserker class centered around self-maintained buffs and a temporary rage state that makes them hard to hurt while depleting other resources.

ENGINEERING

Utilize state of the art quick-patch technology to fix busted machines and repair downed defense systems on the fly, as well as modding their own gear and repairing that of allies on the fly as a REPAIRMAN
Support/Tank class capable of buffing ally armor and weaponry, bringing defenses on the map into play and keeping themselves in the fight despite what gets thrown at them.

Willing to pit your mind against the best and brightest Malach has to offer? Merge human innovation with superior technology to create new and improved walls, weapons, and what-have-yous as a TINKER
A Zoner and Control class who is capable of creating map obstacles, hazards, and high-yield single-use weaponry on the fly for themselves or their allies. Good at defending an area, or an individual, or just bullying the opposition.

RESOURCE COLLECTION

Even as advanced as the Anabasis is it hasn't quite reached the level of perpetual energy. The ship needs fuel, and the best source can be found in green crystals called Orilorite; you could join these valued members of society, pick up your Fraction Hammer and try your hand at the life of a MINER
A slow, but powerful Nuker and Zoner capable of creating terrain hazards and dealing devastating damage in short bursts, but unable to take similar punishment.

As much as the ship needs fuel, so too do it's people. Utilize high-tech sensors to uncover hidden water and food sources(Loot), and make use of enhanced growth fertilizer to rapidly produce food, and plants of varying utility as an AGRONOMIST
A CC and Support class who makes thorn-traps, summons oxygen-rich trees to prevent Oxygen loss, and makes it easier to find map resources among other things.

MAINTENANCE

It isn't only animals, asteroids, and aliens that threaten life as we know it. Speaking earnestly; the Children of Sol are not yet prepared for life among the stars as their immune systems aren't evolved enough to handle most extraterrestrial germs and contagions. That's where we put humanity's best and brightest to the test; utilizing high grade hazmat suits and Armageddon grade cleansers the remainder of Sol's surviving populace is kept safe by those humble heroes who hold the title of JANITOR
DPS class who deals Caustic damage and is especially good at taking down enemies that deal Infection.

Fighting contagion after the fact isn't the only method, though. Strong men and women are needed to eradicate the growing number of Lucin corpses before they rot. These honorable souls bear the name CREMATIONIST
Tank class good for preventing mob respawn and dealing Thermal damage at varying ranges.

Yeah; sorry about that. I'll try and be more clear with such things in the future and not pick tags that are open to interpretation/confusion.

Post Requirements: Post requirements are fairly lax. I'm not going to demand you write a book every time it is your turn to reply.
That said; I'm not a big fan of one or two-sentence posts.
I'd say two-three decently constructed and well-thought-out paragraphs of moderate length minumum. Enough that you get the point of what you wish to say across and give enough detail for others to actually have something to reply to.
I don't know if I am under or over-shooting the average around here as I've only looked through about three dozen roleplays on this site thus far.

Character Restrictions: Your characters and their avatars are human. The game is still in the early phases and while there are some plans to make other alien races playable they haven't been implemented yet.
Furthermore the games t.o.s. requires players be at least thirteen years of age to make an account, though that effects the avatar more than the character as you can be a kid who lied about their age on the purchase site, or an oldtimer trying out a new hobby with your grandchildren anything between.

Faceclaims: We didn't actually do face-claims much on the sites I've come from, so I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I'll open this up to the interested players and simply ask what they want.

Discord: I have discord and if people want me to make an OOC channel for this group I will do so once my phone is charged.
Great! That's pretty much perfect :) (though the game is turning out to be plenty different from what I originally thought...not that's a bad thing :) )

Pretty interested in the Handler, Tinker and Repairman classes (also a little on that berseker one, but less so). Probably going with either Handler or Repairman. Most likely Handler, since I like summoning classes...

Yeah, that's decided, I'm going with Handler.

Great! That's pretty much perfect :) (though the game is turning out to be plenty different from what I originally thought...not that's a bad thing :) )

Yeah, that's decided, I'm going with Handler.
Heh. Glad you don't disapprove.

I look forward to whatever you come up with.

Personally Handler was one of my favorite concepts during the creation of this whole thing because while they're good damage dealers, there is also this rp thought in the back of my head nagging me...

"We must traverse the new star system and answer the impossible question! Which of these new alien creatures will replace the puppy in terms of best household pet?"

"We must traverse the new star system and answer the impossible question! Which of these new alien creatures will replace the puppy in terms of best household pet?"
When you meet a fellow dog person

44f.gif

Personally Handler was one of my favorite concepts during the creation of this whole thing because while they're good damage dealers, there is also this rp thought in the back of my head nagging me...

Never been a really competitive guy, I can take a class even if it's shitty as long as I ain't totally useless. The most important part to me is minions, minions, minions! XD

I'm torn between the Tinker, Cremationist and, to a lesser extent, the Janitor.

Would the Janitor have much tank speccing or is it just more geared to caustic dps and solely counter-infection?

Colour me interested, this looks pretty neat.

On the topic of the classes, I'm a basic bitch so I'd be down to be a Peacekeeper. Can I just ask some questions about the class like how exactly the armour appears? Like is it Iron Man or Anthem style with the armour being a suit that completely encases the user, or in the style of the Guardians (more specifically the Titans) from Destiny where it's just kinda normal armour worn over vital areas except all futuristic looking?

Would the energy weaponry and other armaments be built into the armour, or be separate weapons? In fact would the armour even house built-in weaponry?

Perhaps most important of all; can I fly? (Probably a no but still worth asking I guess)

Yeah if you didn't notice I love me some epic space armour.

On the topic of the classes, I'm a basic bitch so I'd be down to be a Peacekeeper. Can I just ask some questions about the class like how exactly the armour appears? Like is it Iron Man or Anthem style with the armour being a suit that completely encases the user, or in the style of the Guardians (more specifically the Titans) from Destiny where it's just kinda normal armour worn over vital areas except all futuristic looking?

Would the energy weaponry and other armaments be built into the armour, or be separate weapons? In fact would the armour even house built-in weaponry?

Perhaps most important of all; can I fly? (Probably a no but still worth asking I guess)

This is sci-fi. Of course you can fly! xD

Ooo this sounds really cool!! I wouldn’t mind being a mender, I naturally lean towards supporting people tbh

When you meet a fellow dog person

Never been a really competitive guy, I can take a class even if it's shitty as long as I ain't totally useless. The most important part to me is minions, minions, minions! XD
Dogs are the best.

And yes, Handler is the class to play for minions. One of them, at least.

I'm torn between the Tinker, Cremationist and, to a lesser extent, the Janitor.

Would the Janitor have much tank speccing or is it just more geared to caustic dps and solely counter-infection?
Counter-infection is one of its strong-suits, but you can spec tank as a janitor, just takes more effort. It isn't built for it specifically, but with the right armor/modifications you can make it work. There are some spec supporting mods that can allow you to branch out, it is just a matter of putting resources towards them.

I'm still working on everything, so if you want to pitch some variants I'm more than willing to work with people to figure out something players would enjoy. We can work through a Tank-Janitor.

Welcome, Hextremus. Thank you for the positive feedback.

The armor varies a bit dependent on whether the player picks up tank or dps-spec gear as they complete quests and level, or grab up something that is spec-neutral.

So; the answer is yes to all of the above, with your character being more heavily encased/armored up the more they go tank.

The energy weapons are separate, though certain armor can house sub-weapons, shields and other mods as add-ons.

Ooo this sounds really cool!! I wouldn’t mind being a mender, I naturally lean towards supporting people tbh
Nice. Welcome, Feywild. Glad to have you aboard.
Support classes are invaluable, so thanks for picking one.

Flying is limited, but available in certain areas or with certain items off the rip.
Later on WHEN you get a jetpack/flight kit/spaceship/solar skiff/whatever else everyone is interested in in that regard it will become more freely available.

Ooo, solar skiffs sounds really cool~

Okay, how about a tanky close-medium range aoe/dps cremationist? The idea of striding into swathes of enemies and just lighting everything in my vicinity, including myself, in explosive flames sounds very appealing to me.

Okay, how about a tanky close-medium range aoe/dps cremationist? The idea of striding into swathes of enemies and just lighting everything in my vicinity, including myself, in explosive flames sounds very appealing to me.
Ever since that day, the world of the aliens would never be the same. Ever since that day when they grand monument to progress and commerce was taken down by a suicidal flaming maniac, the universe took heed to the threat of terrorism.

7 billion eleven.

Coming to holographic long-term visualizations (otherwise known as space cinemas) near you..

Ooo, solar skiffs sounds really cool~

Solar skiffs are rad. Treasure Planet is horribly underrated.

Cremationist is basically built for what you just described; wading into a wall of super-heated accelerant while burning a swathe through a crowd and shrugging it off. They are tough as nails. Sounds good.

Coming to holographic long-term visualizations (otherwise known as space cinemas) near you..
Nice one.

Is it me or are you making the first letter of every response in Italics for some reason?
Aah; no. That isn't you. That is a very old habit of mine. If it is an issue I can try and remember to not do so... like in this series of sentences, but at this point it is almost automatic.

Flying is limited, but available in certain areas or with certain items off the rip.
Just Hex is fine, fam.

Okay so flying is a thing but only in overworld type areas and with certain rare gear, I'd assume. Limiting flying to hovering in smaller instances, maybe? Mostly cause most game developers wouldn't give a class the capability to just fly past everything in an instant while other classes get left in the dust. Maybe give everyone like lil' speeder bikes so the Peacekeepers could forego those and just have an alternate way of rapid travel...
Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Ooh if we get a spaceship solar skiff whatever thing then we could have space battles! Hell yeah! Maybe allow the Peacekeepers to go out n fly in space defending the ship...

Just Hex is fine, fam.

Okay so flying is a thing but only in overworld type areas and with certain rare gear, I'd assume. Limiting flying to hovering in smaller instances, maybe? Mostly cause most game developers wouldn't give a class the capability to just fly past everything in an instant while other classes get left in the dust. Maybe give everyone like lil' speeder bikes so the Peacekeepers could forego those and just have an alternate way of rapid travel...
Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Ooh if we get a spaceship solar skiff whatever thing then we could have space battles! Hell yeah! Maybe allow the Peacekeepers to go out n fly in space defending the ship...

Not even necessarily RARE gear.
There is some rare gear that would let you fly faster/further.
But no, not rare; just gear you won't have at the start.

Basically something you'll need to be a few levels(3-5) in to unlock.

Like; you can hover/fly in the low grav-overworld hub. Or in places where gravity is down.

But you get an actual means of flight travel after finishing the first little suite of quests, as a reward. Lets you fly near to a planet, satellite or ship, but gets a bit wonky in open-space.

And then a better form off full-on space travel later on so you could feasibly do space battles if that is a thing people want.

Ever since that day, the world of the aliens would never be the same. Ever since that day when they grand monument to progress and commerce was taken down by a suicidal flaming maniac, the universe took heed to the threat of terrorism.

7 billion eleven.

Cremationist figure with explosions behind him flashes into frame, crushing alien scum beneath his flame-retardant boot.

Prepare for... Fahrenheit 10,000.
(Surface temp of the sun btw, also Fahrenheit 451 is a great novel)

Solar skiffs are rad. Treasure Planet is horribly underrated.

Cremationist is basically built for what you just described; wading into a wall of super-heated accelerant while burning a swathe through a crowd and shrugging it off. They are tough as nails. Sounds good.
Then I'm sold, cremationist it is!

Aah; no. That isn't you. That is a very old habit of mine. If it is an issue I can try and remember to not do so... like in this series of sentences, but at this point it is almost automatic.
I find it quite endearing actually. How very unique of you~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back