An SAO-Like RPVRMMORPGRP

If You Do, Why Do You Enjoy Playing MMORPGS?

• The Social Aspect

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • The Challenge

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • The Classes and Skills

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • The Adventure & Story

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Admittedly, if you look into it, SAO had a solid ground for a good show. The episodes that show them trying to settle into a standardised life whilst struggling with being separated from the world, and especially the Sleeping Knights saga, had very good dialogue and story telling, and ultimately the show, because of it's pandering and bad cliches, poorly exercised the fact that they spent a full year in that game, watching friends and loved ones die, not knowing if they were truly lost, either going mad and believing it all a lie, or struggling to cope with the fact that they had lost people. Knowing that with every floor their numbers dropped more and more as well.

No, there was definitely solid potential, but it was squandered on the exact issues you laid out.

I mean, holy shit, I can't believe that in 5 months, they haven't made it past the 2nd floor. Bullshit

Aren't these MMORPG PLAYERS, for crying out loud? Why aren't they fucking grinding and buffing their levels up instead of complaining about the beta-tester. 

I think, for a MMORPG, SAO sucks in terms of game design as well.

But, anyway, I'm sort of interested in joining this RP.

I mean, holy shit, I can't believe that in 5 months, they haven't made it past the 2nd floor. Bullshit

Aren't these MMORPG PLAYERS, for crying out loud? Why aren't they fucking grinding and buffing their levels up instead of complaining about the beta-tester. 

I think, for a MMORPG, SAO sucks in terms of game design as well.

But, anyway, I'm sort of interested in joining this RP.

Because as soon as people started dying and not respawning, it stopped being a MMORPG. SAO wasn't about being stuck in a game, it was about having a game become your reality.

If you spawn in Battlefield with a SMAW, SMG and sidearm, you'll go fuck shite up, die, then repeat. If you get dropped in a real life warzone with a SMAW, SMG and sidearm and you're just a kid trying to play a game, but now it's real life with real consequences.

Which is another thing, a large number of people in game were kids. Look at how many children had logged in with their parents, or just by themselves and what have you. The orphanages and all that jazz?

They weren't just game avatars, it was very much life or death, and that is a whole lot different than a video game.

So... Looking at this, I'm both interested and repelled. The former because I love technology-based RP's that aren't Mecha (because I'm not huge on Mecha, though I don't really mind them at all and have had fun with Mecha stuff before), and the latter because I don't think I could contain myself and thus would start an ideapocalypse which would leave myself and many others in pieces.

Instantly repelled from this RP! Bye-bye, Kalin! :P

Really though, I think I'll stay if only to quell my subconscious desire to start an ideapocalypse, because I really wish lay ruin to a world with naught but ideas, only for the world to be reborn anew from the flames of passion which had burned the world in the first place. That, and torment White some more ^~^

I'm seeing that this is going to be somewhat realistic.

Mainly with characters that represent how gamers really are.

Not that: "Let's all work together for a common goal!"-Bull in SAO.

I do have some ideas for this, and I'd be happy to help! \(◉ᗜ◉)/

Because as soon as people started dying and not respawning, it stopped being a MMORPG. SAO wasn't about being stuck in a game, it was about having a game become your reality.

If you spawn in Battlefield with a SMAW, SMG and sidearm, you'll go fuck shite up, die, then repeat. If you get dropped in a real life warzone with a SMAW, SMG and sidearm and you're just a kid trying to play a game, but now it's real life with real consequences.

Which is another thing, a large number of people in game were kids. Look at how many children had logged in with their parents, or just by themselves and what have you. The orphanages and all that jazz?

They weren't just game avatars, it was very much life or death, and that is a whole lot different than a video game.

Holy shit. Grinding. Do you understand what grinding is? And second of all, this is a MMORPG, not a FPS. They battle against mobs and all that shit.  ENEMIES RESPAWN. KILL THEM and you get motherfucking XP. 

In a shitty bootleg World of Warcraft MMORPG, players managed to get to level motherfucking 70 within 28 hours. 

One month and these ten thousand dipshits who have been trapped in the games can't get past the first floor. Hell, they haven't even found it. 

The author does not understand how the real world works. Even one week would have been enough for people to accept their situation.

Unless Kayaba Akhiko managed to choose the fucking 'Magikarps' of the gene pool that is the entirety of humanity, I'm fairly certain they would have cleared the first floor in the first month.

Again, this is either proof that the author has no idea how humanity works, Kayaba managed to target people who don't know how to play videogames or Kayaba is a shitty game designer. 

These people are the worst MMO players ever. Unless MMO players in this universe are old-school nostalgic backward assholes who hiss at the sight of VRMMORPG technology.

Because, fuck, you need to resculpture the shitty pile of shitty shit shit that is SAO if you want. 

And fuck, I have more to complain about this shit.

- WHY DOESN'T THAT ASSHOLE IN THE 2nd episode, when he's dying, accept a health potion. YOU HAVE OPTIONS, DUDE. DRAMA FOR THE SAKE OF Motherfucking drama. OMG WHY? 

- Sister-brother creepy shit fuck incest. GOd fucking dammit, why? 

SAO needs to be written by a different author and needs to be completely different from the original product because there is absolutely no redemption in this show aside from the badass music, okay visuals and a fucking teaspoon of good character dialogue. 

Some things i would add.

- Add all the class trees. Steal everything from Log Horizon because the author of that knows his MMO realism shit.

- Exploits.

- Unique Skills. Get rid of them or either, lock it down by stat ratios.

All I have at the moment. 

I can't stop laughing, despite you going a bit far with that response.

I get the distaste for the show, but I don;t think he understands psychology. Or mob mentality. Which is also psychology. 

Or that the game stopped being a game and started being reality.

Or that I know RPGs aren't firt person shooters and that the example was solid. I'm also not too worried about it and have a better use of my time finishing an awesome collab post.

Holy shit. Grinding. Do you understand what grinding is? And second of all, this is a MMORPG, not a FPS. They battle against mobs and all that shit.  ENEMIES RESPAWN. KILL THEM and you get motherfucking XP. 

In a shitty bootleg World of Warcraft MMORPG, players managed to get to level motherfucking 70 within 28 hours. 

One month and these ten thousand dipshits who have been trapped in the games can't get past the first floor. Hell, they haven't even found it. 

The author does not understand how the real world works. Even one week would have been enough for people to accept their situation.

Unless Kayaba Akhiko managed to choose the fucking 'Magikarps' of the gene pool that is the entirety of humanity, I'm fairly certain they would have cleared the first floor in the first month.

Again, this is either proof that the author has no idea how humanity works, Kayaba managed to target people who don't know how to play videogames or Kayaba is a shitty game designer. 

These people are the worst MMO players ever. Unless MMO players in this universe are old-school nostalgic backward assholes who hiss at the sight of VRMMORPG technology.

Because, fuck, you need to resculpture the shitty pile of shitty shit shit that is SAO if you want. 

And fuck, I have more to complain about this shit.

- WHY DOESN'T THAT ASSHOLE IN THE 2nd episode, when he's dying, accept a health potion. YOU HAVE OPTIONS, DUDE. DRAMA FOR THE SAKE OF Motherfucking drama. OMG WHY? 

- Sister-brother creepy shit fuck incest. GOd fucking dammit, why? 

SAO needs to be written by a different author and needs to be completely different from the original product because there is absolutely no redemption in this show aside from the badass music, okay visuals and a fucking teaspoon of good character dialogue. 

Some things i would add.

- Add all the class trees. Steal everything from Log Horizon because the author of that knows his MMO realism shit.

- Exploits.

- Unique Skills. Get rid of them or either, lock it down by stat ratios.

All I have at the moment. 

Let's see here... This is A, the first VRMMO ever in their universe... B, the difficulty of the game is probably the equivalent to 24/7 hard mode boss fighting in Dark Souls, emphasized by how difficult it was for BETA TESTERS to get through the game... C, it's realistic as fuck for the players, whom are probably 90% used to point and click with a mouse or controller... I'd say the majority of their earlier time was spent figuring out how to fucking move properly in the game with how confusing it would be to be controlling another body with your mind, plus the way skills work, etc.

Besides, your argument on them beating the first floor within a month is refuted not only by how difficult it would be just to adjust to movement in that world, but also by the fact that things did pick up a heavy pace later on where they were clearing floors left and right, half the players were first-time video game players or otherwise casual players whom were also susceptible to being traumatized, and the fact that it's a huge free-roam planet in the shape of a floating castle, with the pillar maze which had the boss room hidden within it probably, in comparison to real-world size, as wide as half of Asia.

Not to mention the fact that mobs, as stated in episode one, were very scarce in comparison to the player number, which is the reason why Kirito headed out ahead of others to get the farm off of the mobs on the way to the next town.

Which, in this case, Pequeno's first-person shooter example really does work. Do you think a person holding a wooden sword and beating up a foam doll would be just as comfortable holding a real sword, being put in a life-or-death match with some mace-wielding lizard-man, knowing very well that death was completely possible? I think just about anyone without real experience with a blade- and even many with- would be scared to death by such an event their first dozen times. Even if you practice something over and over, it's always going to be far more intense when doing the real thing; especially if you go from not actually wielding the blade to suddenly having the weapon replacing the controller, and the motion of the sticks being the physical motions of your body.

Now while I have said all of this, I in the end do have to agree, SAO was nowhere near Log Horizon in quality. However, SAO did at least have realistic aspects in a sense. In fact, the anime did a really poor job compared to the original LN. I rather enjoyed reading the LN, especially considering that the person who made the LN was far more creative and open-minded than the creator of the anime. Though the LN was in first-person POV with Kirito, which was something that did bother me greatly for a while, considering I've been a writer for the past six years, even if just as a hobby.

Let's see here... This is A, the first VRMMO ever in their universe... B, the difficulty of the game is probably the equivalent to 24/7 hard mode boss fighting in Dark Souls, emphasized by how difficult it was for BETA TESTERS to get through the game... C, it's realistic as fuck for the players, whom are probably 90% used to point and click with a mouse or controller... I'd say the majority of their earlier time was spent figuring out how to fucking move properly in the game with how confusing it would be to be controlling another body with your mind, plus the way skills work, etc.

True, it is the first VRMMO ever in the universe. Point B is refuted by the fact that in the first floor, the only asshole who died was the guy who charged in recklessly like a stupid son of a bitch out of group formation. Point C, the Nerve Gear is goddamned magic. If I remember correctly, you triggered your abilities and the game compensated for you. Hell, it's even shown when Kirito loses against his sword-wielding sister or something like that, even after fighting in the game for like a bajillion hours. Second of all, if the majority of the time was spent figuring out how to move, then, how come we never see a instant of that happening in the anime? Hell, people were fucking walking around and all that shit. Regardless, it was only the skills that needed figuring out and even those got mastered by some people instantaneously. 

It's just pure bad writing why they haven't managed to find the first floor yet. 

Besides, your argument on them beating the first floor within a month is refuted not only by how difficult it would be just to adjust to movement in that world, but also by the fact that things did pick up a heavy pace later on where they were clearing floors left and right, half the players were first-time video game players or otherwise casual players whom were also susceptible to being traumatized, and the fact that it's a huge free-roam planet in the shape of a floating castle, with the pillar maze which had the boss room hidden within it probably, in comparison to real-world size, as wide as half of Asia.

Then, why don't the other half tutor the other half? Jesus christ, I'm surprised we never see a instant of that on the show. Send the lower level players out into the kiddie fields to grind up Magikarps or something like that. 

" Alright, guys, you're not high level enough so you're going to go kill X amount of these fucking useless things until you hit level X"

Not to mention the fact that mobs, as stated in episode one, were very scarce in comparison to the player number, which is the reason why Kirito headed out ahead of others to get the farm off of the mobs on the way to the next town.

While we're on the tangent of how gamers would realistically act, how come he doesn't join a motherfucking group at the start?.  I mean, he does join a group, the Black Cats ( AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT EPISODE.) People always join groups in MMOs because you'll get swamped if you do. Kirito goes solo for most of the time and he never suffers any fucking consequences for his actions. And again, if this is in the light novel, I only watched the anime and we never see Kirito properly farming shit. Literally. He only goes for events and all that crap.

Which, in this case, Pequeno's first-person shooter example really does work. Do you think a person holding a wooden sword and beating up a foam doll would be just as comfortable holding a real sword, being put in a life-or-death match with some mace-wielding lizard-man, knowing very well that death was completely possible? I think just about anyone without real experience with a blade- and even many with- would be scared to death by such an event their first dozen times. Even if you practice something over and over, it's always going to be far more intense when doing the real thing; especially if you go from not actually wielding the blade to suddenly having the weapon replacing the controller, and the motion of the sticks being the physical motions of your body.

First of all, the Nerve Gear compensates and acts out the skills for them. Second of all, I did always wonder about this in the anime why we don't see more examples of this. Sure, we see it in Klein. And the thing I don't understand is how Player Killing ever occured in this VRMMO or scenario if this is supposed to be more like reality.

Overall, even trying to explain the massive, glaring plot holes in SAO is a exercise for me and I'm still not shaken by the fact that it's a bad anime at heart. All of these can be explained that Kayaba is a fucking shitty game designer at heart. Literally. 

EDIT

And do not get me started on Chapter motherfucking 16.5. So lewd, otaku, shitty, fuck all, motherfucking, oh jesus christ, shit material that will literally make you go. 

Also, this is not meant that I disagree with your points. I can actually see the logic in some of them and I respect that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
True, it is the first VRMMO ever in the universe. Point B is refuted by the fact that in the first floor, the only asshole who died was the guy who charged in recklessly like a stupid son of a bitch out of group formation. Point C, the Nerve Gear is goddamned magic. If I remember correctly, you triggered your abilities and the game compensated for you. Hell, it's even shown when Kirito loses against his sword-wielding sister or something like that, even after fighting in the game for like a bajillion hours. Second of all, if the majority of the time was spent figuring out how to move, then, how come we never see a instant of that happening in the anime? Hell, people were fucking walking around and all that shit. Regardless, it was only the skills that needed figuring out and even those got mastered by some people instantaneously. 

It's just pure bad writing why they haven't managed to find the first floor yet. 

Then, why don't the other half tutor the other half? Jesus christ, I'm surprised we never see a instant of that on the show. Send the lower level players out into the kiddie fields to grind up Magikarps or something like that. 

" Alright, guys, you're not high level enough so you're going to go kill X amount of these fucking useless things until you hit level X"

While we're on the tangent of how gamers would realistically act, how come he doesn't join a motherfucking group at the start?.  I mean, he does join a group, the Black Cats ( AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT EPISODE.) People always join groups in MMOs because you'll get swamped if you do. Kirito goes solo for most of the time and he never suffers any fucking consequences for his actions. And again, if this is in the light novel, I only watched the anime and we never see Kirito properly farming shit. Literally. He only goes for events and all that crap.

First of all, the Nerve Gear compensates and acts out the skills for them. Second of all, I did always wonder about this in the anime why we don't see more examples of this. Sure, we see it in Klein. And the thing I don't understand is how Player Killing ever occured in this VRMMO or scenario if this is supposed to be more like reality.

Overall, even trying to explain the massive, glaring plot holes in SAO is a exercise for me and I'm still not shaken by the fact that it's a bad anime at heart. All of these can be explained that Kayaba is a fucking shitty game designer at heart. Literally. 

EDIT

And do not get me started on Chapter motherfucking 16.5. So lewd, otaku, shitty, fuck all, motherfucking, oh jesus christ, shit material that will literally make you go. 

You're about to pick the wrong person to debate there mate...

You're about to pick the wrong person to debate there mate...

Did I do something wrong? 

EDIT

Now, that I look at it a bit more, Kayaba did really design this game for a mass-slaughter fest.

First of all, dark-souls esque difficulty.

Second of all, people need to do real world things in order to do real world things. Like if you want to heal yourself, you literally have to drink all of the potion. Wouldn't it be easier to program something that reads your thoughts simultaneously and gives you what you need? It would be a chore. Fast. 

Third of all, the user interface is godawful.

Fourth of all, lack of classes means all of you players gonna be getting up close with the enemy. There's no healers, no mages, no archers, not really any specialised classes geared towards jumping away and shooting any mobs. 

Eh, just a random thought. 

Perhaps you could drop SAO and look into a smaller but more open plot.  Like the variant CrossCode uses.  

Crosscode TL;DR: Humanity has found a distant planet and would like to explore it. They create a 'game' around it and people create an avatar made from programmable matter, which they use like a game character to explore said planet. The actual discoveries surrounding an ancient civilization form the plotline, although most players believe this to be the game-made plot. 

Unless this is a straight up fandom. 

@Ghoti

It will be somewhat realistic =P. Hard to explain so early in the process.

@Borkus Lazorus

Lol. I see you hated SAO. But this is not a hate-SAO thread xD

@Eye of Nowhere

No this is not a straight up Fandom! It actually doesn't tie much in with SAO's plot at all. It only shares the VReality and MMO characteristics. Crosscode's plot-line seems interesting, though it wouldn't fit with the direction I'd like to see this one go. A plot like that wouldn't allow me to have classes, skills, and "monster zones" like in standard MMO games. It's difficult to realistically map out how we'd have an MMO-like setting, but headway is being made. The MMO setting/take is something I do not want to drop.

@Eye of Nowhere

No this is not a straight up Fandom! It actually doesn't tie much in with SAO's plot at all. It only shares the VReality and MMO characteristics. Crosscode's plot-line seems interesting, though it wouldn't fit with the direction I'd like to see this one go. A plot like that wouldn't allow me to have classes, skills, and "monster zones" like in standard MMO games. It's difficult to realistically map out how we'd have an MMO-like setting, but headway is being made. The MMO setting/take is something I do not want to drop.

Well, crosscode has all that in their plot too.  How would you like to see this evolve?  The discussions so far seem to only pertain to SAO. I don't really understand what you or the others want to accomplish (so far)

Well, crosscode has all that in their plot too.  How would you like to see this evolve?  The discussions so far seem to only pertain to SAO. I don't really understand what you or the others want to accomplish (so far)

At its end, a mish-mash of things. Paying a little homage to the MMO experience, building a cohesive adventure, with light-hearted and silly elements sprinkled throughout. SAO is simply inspiration for the light-hearted side of this. One piece of the whole puzzle.

As for the final direction, not sure honestly. An MMORP is hard to design so I'm splitting in steps. Step 1 is getting a decent core to the story and class mechanics. If that goes well, I'll go to Step 2 and overhaul the story. So right now I can't give you a good answer. It's not my focus =/

Class mechanics, you say? Well, that can be a tough one. I suppose you have two basic options. Either you use a dice-system or you don't.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  But, that would means you have to use an existing system or develop a rudementary one yourself.  I suppose the former is easier.  Doing it freeform needs some explanations on how skills work and what can counter/avoid these skills, as well as more management of combat by the GM.  As funky as RP combat can get, it also can drag on for quite some time, which poses a risk if not everyone's involved.  The story can stall, leading to drop-outs.  Then again, it IS an MMO and people can log out.  So writing people out of the story temporarily or permanently isn't a big issue here.  

In terms of a core-story:  Have you thought of somehing already or is everything still open for debate?

As for classes:  I suppose the basics will always be included, as well as some sort of thematic classes.  There will be something akin to a warrior, a mage, a rogue and a priest?  Or perhaps you could use the classless systems which let players evolve certain types of skills?

EDIT

Also, this is not meant that I disagree with your points. I can actually see the logic in some of them and I respect that. 

Okay, let me first start out by saying that...

Chapter 16.5 wasn't written alongside the rest of the story. It was written after the story itself was complete, and so it's completely irrelevant to the actual light novel; though it was written by the author, so... Yeah...

Still off-topic in this though, so I'll direct back to topic with first saying, I see the logic in many of your points as well, and so I hope you don't take offense to me trying to shut that logic out with my own; it's been a while since I've had a battle of logic this good. Plus, only when different forms of logic clash, does the truth come out of it. Otherwise, we'd both be sitting with our own logic, which I'm positive would in the end leave us both somewhere half right, half wrong about things because of only having our interpretations.

Movement in a VRMMO is completely different than movement in real life. Even if the actions are the same and merely replications of what your physical body is trying to do, there's a lot to deal with figuring out. Just because you can walk in both worlds, doesn't mean you can instantly parkour and whatnot in the new world. That still takes a lot of time to adjust to, especially considering that you actually feel the weight of your armor and weapon, as well as game physics are going to differ from real-life physics; even if only slightly, it'll still feel different to a person. That's why Klein had so much difficulty with everything he was doing until Kirito taught him.

As for abilities; even if they were like 'magic', I highly doubt everyone just simply knew how to activate them. If you observe the launch day, there's practically nobody outside of the starting town doing any fighting yet, as they're not even used to complex movement yet, nor do they really know how to activate skills since it's a mental thing.

As for the instant mastery of skills by some, not actually something that happened. Those who knew how to use skills were solely the Beta Testers. Plus, all the above points are emphasized by the beta testers; Kirito explained just how hard the game actually was, and how they only made it to floor 10 after numerous months of beta testing.

As for instances in the anime... It's the freakin' anime, they skipped literally 90% of what the Light Novel was. In fact, the anime did show it with Klein, being trained by Kirito. However no Beta Testers were able to do the same and teach people, because the whole mob mentality and bandwagon effect had the normal players hating on beta players and thinking they were abandoning the normal players. Which would explain things taking a bit longer for everyone else to figure things out.

There were limits to the mobs. Once cleared out completely, mobs would very rarely spawn in. Plus, the mobs were a bit dangerous to new players, whom couldn't figure things out quickly on their own. It's already hard enough to figure out how to activate something with your mind when you're used to having to actually move to do something, so even if one half figured it out for themselves, it's still just as hard to teach the other half as it is for that half to figure it out themselves. There were no kiddie fields either, Klein got his ass handed to him on a silver platter by a level one mob called a boar. That's not a kiddie field for a level one player.

Plus, I don't think most of the players would actually want to keep leveling when they fear the idea of death. The more you fight, the more likely you are to die. It's human nature to fear death; so much so, a person could drop all hopes of overcoming something if death is a factor.

Kirito wouldn't really join one because first of all, he's a Beta Tester; people hate Beta Testers, so it'd do him no good to place himself where people could find that out and start hating on him for it, such as they did after the first boss fight.

As for the farming stuff, the Light Novel goes into detail on some of the fighting Kirito does outside of events and boss fights. So once again, the anime has only about 10% of what's in the Light Novels, with the anime's ratio of novel material to crap on-the-spot material 40% to 60%. Probably even more toward crap on-the-spot if you ask other people.

As for guilds, he only ever joins two, which are the Black Cats and KoB, so I would say it's sort of unrealistic there in one sense, but at the same time, it's not unheard of for a play to go solo in an MMO and be up there at the top twenty list of players, right? Especially when he still fights alongside people, just not 24/7 like guilds do. He farms solo, that's really it.

The game was meant to be realistic. But the thing is, not everybody's going to blindly believe someone, even if they're the game's creator. Many people are going to become deranged, traumatized, become psychotic from the situation, etc., and start believing it's all just a dream, or that there isn't any real death in the game, and so will kill other players trying to play it like a normal MMO in order to compensate for the fact they're actually trapped in a death game. That's how PKing came to be, people went insane from the circumstances and eventually used killing others as a way to alleviate their fear of themselves dying through feeling stronger; in some cases, even feeling superior to the game itself.

As for acting the skills out, the game doesn't actually do that. The game gives aid in performing the skills, but the players still go through the motions. The players still feel the actions, and to a degree, feel the pain due to mentally expecting it. This, although I hate to admit, is actually something the anime portrays well in the anime at one point. Particularly in the Gleam Eyes fight, when Kirito's combo is interrupted by him getting hit. He had to put in the effort to keep the combo going, as shown by his grimace displaying the stress his mind felt from the actions he was making; a replacement to the physical stress his mind was expecting of as if it were the physical world.

Did I do something wrong? 

EDIT

Now, that I look at it a bit more, Kayaba did really design this game for a mass-slaughter fest.

First of all, dark-souls esque difficulty.

Second of all, people need to do real world things in order to do real world things. Like if you want to heal yourself, you literally have to drink all of the potion. Wouldn't it be easier to program something that reads your thoughts simultaneously and gives you what you need? It would be a chore. Fast. 

Third of all, the user interface is godawful.

Fourth of all, lack of classes means all of you players gonna be getting up close with the enemy. There's no healers, no mages, no archers, not really any specialised classes geared towards jumping away and shooting any mobs. 

Eh, just a random thought. 

Just noticed this post, lol. Regarding range and classes, the beauty of the classless system is people can actually do both. There are skills for thrown blades.

As for lacking of healers, mages, etc., that's because the entire premise is it's a sword-based game; bladed weapons only, which is why everything is designed with a knight kind of aesthetic, including armor, guild names, weapons themselves...

Also, a point I forgot to mention earlier. In the first month, 2000 players died, not just the one guy from the boss fight. That's where the idea of the high difficulty comes from.

Class mechanics, you say? Well, that can be a tough one. I suppose you have two basic options. Either you use a dice-system or you don't.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  But, that would means you have to use an existing system or develop a rudementary one yourself.  I suppose the former is easier.  Doing it freeform needs some explanations on how skills work and what can counter/avoid these skills, as well as more management of combat by the GM.  As funky as RP combat can get, it also can drag on for quite some time, which poses a risk if not everyone's involved.  The story can stall, leading to drop-outs.  Then again, it IS an MMO and people can log out.  So writing people out of the story temporarily or permanently isn't a big issue here.  

In terms of a core-story:  Have you thought of somehing already or is everything still open for debate?

As for classes:  I suppose the basics will always be included, as well as some sort of thematic classes.  There will be something akin to a warrior, a mage, a rogue and a priest?  Or perhaps you could use the classless systems which let players evolve certain types of skills?

You got it. I thought over Dice Vs. Dice-less and settled on dice. I created a diceless system before that worked but yikes -- took a while to balance, tailor, and make enjoyable. I made a working dice system to an RP before, so I'm very familiar with the advantages and disadvantages! 

I'm swearing off free-form fighting, =P. I've done it, but I don't have the head for working with that anymore xD. The long, drawn out matches is exactly what I'm working on to minimize, or at least make fun. That's the main reason I'd like sounding boards. To go through that process once it's done and tell me what came off as overly technical.

In terms of story, that's already done for the most part.

Classes! No, there won't be the standard basics. This is how I want to make the RP unconventional and a little silly. However the ones there will share similarities to the well known ones. So instead of an Archer, you might have a class that sucks a variety of things up and spits them out. All things going well,  there will be both "class skills" and "common" skills. So different kinds of builds are wanted and encouraged.

Have you done something like this before? You seem very knowledgeable haha.

@Kiyoko Tomoe

Tmoze...

You got it. I thought over Dice Vs. Dice-less and settled on dice. I created a diceless system before that worked but yikes -- took a while to balance, tailor, and make enjoyable. I made a working dice system to an RP before, so I'm very familiar with the advantages and disadvantages! 

I'm swearing off free-form fighting, =P. I've done it, but I don't have the head for working with that anymore xD. The long, drawn out matches is exactly what I'm working on to minimize, or at least make fun. That's the main reason I'd like sounding boards. To go through that process once it's done and tell me what came off as overly technical.

In terms of story, that's already done for the most part.

Classes! No, there won't be the standard basics. This is how I want to make the RP unconventional and a little silly. However the ones there will share similarities to the well known ones. So instead of an Archer, you might have a class that sucks a variety of things up and spits them out. All things going well,  there will be both "class skills" and "common" skills. So different kinds of builds are wanted and encouraged.

Well, if you have need of an additional opinion, feel free to quote, mention or PM me.  I wouldn't wish to intrude too much on others' ideas and creations.  

Have you done something like this before? You seem very knowledgeable haha.

I have. 

Is this still open? I was thinking of making a SAO-ish RP at one point, but...I obviously didn't make one, heh.
I'd totally like to join this, though. :)

Seems interesting. Honestly a little upset that competition pops up this close to the release of my VRMMORPG RP for which I was working on for nearly 15 months, but regardless good luck with your project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back