• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy An RP of Ice and Fire (Players/DM wanted)

El Loco

Hey all! Newb here to the site, but not to forum based RP. I just had an idea that’s not my standard RP fare and I wanted to poke around on other sites to see if there was good activity for it.

I’ve had a hankering for some sword and board slash drama and intrigue type low-fantasy RP where everyone is very mortal, death lurks around every corner, and you might have to make two or three characters throughout the campaign. To that end, I want to set up a Song of Ice and Fire RP loosely based on Green Ronin's SIFRP game.

The gist is that the RP group would collectively generate a House from the ground up- region, lands, history, coat of arms, etc- then we would all create characters that in some way support that House (and, in true GoT style, our own personal vendettas). While I would like to use the games dice mechanic to generate the house and potentially influence character generation just to force-inject some flavor, the game will primarily be text based.

Story wise, this RP could take the theme and run with it in a lot of directions. I have two different introductory one shots and two prebuilt campaigns available to start off the adventure, but there’s room for follow on campaigns and potentially a larger and longer ongoing story of a House if all goes well. Want to settle the score with a rival house? It’s on. Want to seize the throne from another player? Best of luck. Players run things… mostly.

We would need a good DM. Preferably one with good Game of Thrones lore knowledge who likes to knock unruly PCs down a peg- remember, no protagonist is safe in this world. I have a lot of source material that would make the DMs job much easier I think. I could do it worse case scenario, but it’s something I’ve learned I’m not much good at.

Writing expectations wise, I’m not a super advanced RP snob. I’d like more than a sentence or two to go off of for character interaction, but I don’t expect multiple paragraphs every post. Frequency wise, I think once or twice a week for each player is fair enough to keep things moving.

I have the game source books available digitally for anyone with serious interest- beyond the rules that we’ll largely be ignoring, they have a ton of good lore and writing prompts in them. I’ll likely set up a discord once we get a group going.

Hope there’s some interest! RP with you soon!

Summary:
-build our own house
-violence that doesn’t play favorites with PCs
-romance and political intrigue both inside and outside the party
-Murder, probably
-???
-profit

Last edited:
EXAMPLE HOUSE AND LORE BUILDING

Below is an example House that my group generated for a campaign that never really got off the ground. We took turns rolling dice to randomize our Houses lot in life, then built our own lore and characters around the hand we were dealt. This new group would do the same:

House Ironbane of the Rills
Realm: The North
Liege: The Starks

Defense: Castle [Name] sits upon a high stoney hill overlooking the mouth of the Rillwater, where it spills into the Salt Spear. While some regard it as a miserable and drafty old fort, it's twin towers, sizable keep, and salt stained curtain walls (which encompass one of the southernmost Godswoods in the North) have guarded the river from ironborn raiders for centuries. The Salt Spear Tower, a lonely spindle of fortification, crumbling and dilapidated but still formidable, sits upon the opposite bank of the River. (Small Castle, Tower)(40)

Influence: Despite their modest holdings in modern times, House Ironbane is among the oldest Houses in the North, dating back to the arrival of the first men, and have a long and storied history akin to the Starks themselves. Among Northern Lords they command a respect, and are considered contenders for Guardians of the Rills if their houses current fortunes were to improve. (41)

Land: House Ironbane controls both shores of the mouth of the Rillwater River for a league wide and a league deep. The muddy wetlands of the rivers delta and the stony hills of the Rills beyond it offer little in the way of comfort for smallfolk, who mostly settle along the coast, and make patrolling and tending the land difficult. (2 Coastal Hills with a small town,1 Wetland) (43)

Law: Iron Born raiders plague the shores of the hold, pillaging and raping as they go. Bandits scour the hills for unwary travelers, and the rough terrain makes enforcing the rule of law a difficult prospect. (7)

Population: The bulk of House Ironbane's smallfolk occupy the small town of Rillwater Port, which serves traffic upon the Rillwater and traders who don't want to brave the length of the Salt Spear. Fishing combines and tiny bands of sheep herders smaller than hamlets dot the coast and hills. (19)

Power: While poorly funded and small, House Ironbanes forces are trained veterans of the recent rebellions. (1 trained Warship unit, 1 trained Archer unit, 1 trained Garrison)(21)

Wealth: Most of House Ironbane's meager income goes to maintaining its forces and it's single small town, leaving little for excess while the hold struggles to rebuild from the Greyjoy Rebellion. The family has become accustomed to austere living, at least by noble standards. (Godswood) (11)

Founded in the Age of Heroes
Historic events:
1- Infrastructure
2- Victory
3- Decline (Targaryen Rule?)
4- Favor (Roberts Rebellion?)
5- Invasion (Greyjoy Rebellion)
6- Ascent (Siege of Pyke)

Important Characters (to be filled by PCs or NPCs:
NPC Lord [Name]
NPC Lady [Name]
Heir
Heir
Steward:
Master at Arms:
Master of the Stables:
Master of Ships:
Master of the Hunt:
Captains of the Guard:
Sworn Swords:
Other Retainers:

EXAMPLE CHARACTER BUILDING

Character building would work much the same as any other RP- it’s your character, do what you want, so long as it fits the setting. I recommend against investing too much time at start beyond history and starting quirks and skills. Skills checks aren’t going to be used like they are in the rulebooks, they’re just here to give us an idea of what our characters are good at so that nobody is a savant in an inappropriate moment. Qualities, vices, and drawbacks are where the real potential fun is. You can get your character a leg up in the world, but everything comes at a cost… below is an example character- Ser Drake, heir to House Ironbane:

Bio
Ser Drake Ironbane, fifth of his name, Knight of the Saltspear and heir to House Ironbane, is the eldest child of Lord [Name] and Lady [Name]. Ser Drake was raised from an early age to prepare him for Lordship of his family's hold in the Rills. Already a young man when Ned Stark called the North's banners to join Robert's Rebellion, the young Lord was sent to squire for a Knight of House Vance of Atranta in an effort to strengthen the Norths new ties to the Riverlands. He went on to serve in the rear guard at the battle of the Trident, but saw no real action there. Years later, as his families lands were ravaged by Iron Born raiders emboldened by the Greyjoy Rebellion, Drake joined his master at the Siege of Pyke, and followed the likes of Ser Jorah Mormont and the Red Priest Thoros of Myr through the breach alongside Knights from across the Kingdoms. Ser Drake was one of the many Knighted by King Robert himself after the battle. [WIP]

Abilities and Specialties
Fighting: Long Blades
Fighting: Spears* (+1 Vice)
Warfare: Command
Persuasion: Convince
Animal Handling: Ride*(+1 Drawback)

Qualities
Heir
Heirloom* (-1 Destiny Point)
Attractive* (+1 Drawback)

Vices and Drawbacks
Vice: Wrathful
Drawback: Fear
Drawback: Nemesis

Destiny Points

Gear
Valyrian Steel Greatsword, Castle Forged Long Sword, Castle Forged Spear, Scale Armor, Noble Northern Garb, Signet Ring, Mount: Courser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back