• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
It seemed that they truly had found a common ground through their love for the ocean, Caterina being genuinely pleased when Riccardo seemed to understand what she meant as she tried to describe the ocean. As usual his words described the ocean in ways that warmed her heart, easily giving the ocean a personality of it's own. Humanizing it. Never before had she met someone who was so good with words, who could put so much passion into a simple description. "You almost sound like you're describing a woman." Caterina spoke softly, a grin lining her lips. Surely by now he knew that women too could be forces of nature.

Another thing they seemed to have in common was their love for the sunset and how it reflected over the ocean, Riccardo surprising her with an offer that she would never refuse. "You don't have to ask me twice, I'd love to. It's the perfect end to a day." Caterina explained, her eyes meeting his briefly as he finally made his move and grabbed her hand. He'd been inching towards it, gently brushing his hand against hers while he waited for a reaction. She may have pulled away otherwise but this time she was placated by the thoughts of the sunset. "Should it become our thing?" Caterina questioned, stepping close and tilting her head to look up at him.

"Normally I try to make sure to watch the sun as it sets over the ocean but.. I suppose I could share that moment with you." Her thoughts drifted back to his vivid descriptions and she looked to his hands, studying them thoughtfully. "Do you paint or anything?" She questioned, wondering if he had other hobbies aside from sailing the open ocean.

"Perhaps I was," he said, in response to Caterina's suggestion that he might be speaking of a woman. "But very well. Tomorrow night, we will go watch the sunset together. Perhaps we could do so from the view of a little boat, the waves gently rocking us." He suddenly laughed at this. "Caterina, if only that could have been our wedding instead--you would not think half so poorly of me as you do, I think."

Even saying that, though, he knew he was going to have to clean his act up and make the reparations he'd promised. And after all of that, she could still be a demon. She would just be a demon who also happened to love the sea. How bad could even such a demon be, though? He knew of wives in marriages like these who went mad due to their husbands' proclivities, so perhaps in the long term Caterina would at least be some sort of blessing, even if it meant he didn't have to sacrifice being out at sea, or just being around the water. A small kindling of hope also had him wondering if just maybe, she really did understand it the way he did. Her words seemed to confirm that... Was it really just the botched wedding that was making her so hostile? Had he thrown away a good wife along with their wedding?

"Do I do anything else? Well sure, after all it does eventually get too cold to sail here in Genoa," he said, chuckling. "I'm a little bit of a chef, you see. I know I'm not supposed to help in the kitchen, but once I caught a sea bass that I was determined to eat. The maids in the kitchen helped me, of course, but I still remember the flavor of that sea bass, and have been chasing it ever since every time I get a chance to cook. Just something else about the sea I love, I suppose. What about you, Caterina? I must admit I don't know what women such as yourself do in your free time. My own sisters even are reluctant to give away that information."

Had she truly caught him while he was trying to describe somebody? Her eyes flickered to his, searching to see if he truly was describing a woman in the way he had spoken so passionately of the ocean and how to handle her. There would never be any other way to look at the ocean now, not after the way that he had so thoroughly described it. Excitement bubbled within her chest as the two made plans to go watch the sunset from boat, promising the best possible view of the beautiful moment. "If that had been our wedding, that would have been the most perfect wedding that anybody could ask for." She would have loved to have a beach wedding, to be able to feel the comforting waves of the ocean. But alas, Genoa had other traditions.

His hobbies were intriguing to her, she was mildly curious to see where her husband would scamper off to after an afternoon dealing with her sharp tongue. What he would seek for comfort during the bad days. A brow rose as he said that he of all people was a bit of a chef, Caterina clearly not seeing it as a possibility. But again, he was full of surprises it seemed. This husband of hers was ever the mystery and she debated the possibility that he could successfully make an edible dish, let alone a delicious one. He didn't seem the type to brag, he was soft and sweet. But the idea of him helping around the kitchen or with other chores really didn't surprise her in the slightest.

Next he turned that loaded question on her and a small smile formed on her lips as she began to give him further insight to who she was. "I like to make jewelry. And there's something oddly comforting about basket weaving. I'm typically not a patient person but I could sit there for hours at a time making baskets." Caterina explained with a small shrug. She hadn't been able to wear any of her own jewelry, her parents insisting that she had to wear the highest quality jewelry for such a high profile wedding. The jewelry had hardly mattered today.

Riccardo was intrigued by her explanation of her own hobbies. He'd not paid much attention to the activities the women of Genoa often pursued--he still had much of his own world to explore, something he planned to do even with Caterina as his wife. Still, he felt it couldn't hurt to at least ask about her jewelry making. In fact... it was giving him an idea.

"Say, Caterina. I would love to see you make jewelry sometime. I'm sure you know a lot about it," he said. He was concealing, of course, the plan he was concocting to make money. Jewelry could sell for quite a lot of money if it was good. Even if they didn't make their own, he could learn a lot from her about jewelry itself and what was valuable, and what wasn't. And that could just be their way into making enough money in time for him to repay the debt he'd incurred. He could see it all in his head: the stalls, the sun beating down on them as they made money hand over fist selling her creations, or whatever they could get their hands on... It wasn't a foolproof plan, but it was a start. It was something. And he would take all the hope he could get, right about now.

Content with her answer, his eyes turned to the night sky. "Well, Caterina... I hope that you won't take tonight too much to heart. I will try to be a better husband to you."

He felt nervous again as he thought about what was coming next, as the dances seemed to be coming to an end. Which meant that it would be time to head back home soon. Which, as he suddenly remembered, was where they would be expected to...

Oh no. Anything but that. Not with her. I'm not ready yet. Even if she is beautiful.

He was, of course, worried about the consummation that was expected, which he had no idea how to broach, but he knew it was coming.

"It looks like the festivities are ending," he said, the anxiety almost audible in his voice. "I... suppose we should head back home... to my home, I mean. Where we'll... well..."

He couldn't even say it. This was going to be a disaster. He just knew it.

There was a look of genuine surprise on her features as he expressed interest in her hobbies, especially her jewelry making and she looked to him to see if he was actually serious. Did he truly intend to sit with her while she made whatever her heart desired? "Are you sure?" She wasn't used to people taking an interest in the things she liked, after all - she had worked hard to make the perfect necklace only to be told it wouldn't be fitting for her wedding. But he soon filled her with a new inspiration, a new emotion crossing her delicate features. "I want to make something that reminds me of the ocean." Why it had taken her this long, she didn't know. But after the way Riccardo had described the ocean to her, she was determined to match that with her jewelry. To personify the ocean perfectly as he did.

Their disasterous wedding day was finally coming to an end and other responsibilities loomed over the couple, neither one particularly looking forward to it but knowing it was required. She swallowed hard, trying to pull herself together as she let him lead her to her new home. Neither one would speak of what was to come next.

---

The next morning she woke early, dark hair framing her features as she sat up in Riccardo's bed. Her eyes took time to adjust to the brightly lit room, Caterina studying her surroundings quietly and taking in everything that had been concealed in the darkness during the previous night. He had described his home to her to the best of his abilities but of course, in the day time she was truly getting to see it. One thing she didn't miss was the absence of her husband, his side of the bed being pleasantly empty. Normally she may have taken the time to sprawl out and take the bed for herself but instead Caterina had other ideas.

She rose out of the bed slowly, stretching her body and putting on a blue dress that had been laid out for her. Thankfully on this dress, the shoulder was intact. She was in the process of brushing out her hair when the door opened slowly, Riccardo peeking his head in before entering with a delightful sight. A large tray of assorted fruits and meats was presented to her, Caterina moving to sit in the bed with him. "I'm not a morning person, but this isn't a bad start." She mused, snatching a grape and popping it into her mouth.

It was preposterous to think that fate could have brought them together in a positive way after the disaster that was their wedding, but Riccardo nonetheless felt a certain attraction to Caterina as she described what she wanted her next jewelry project to be: I want to make something that reminds me of the ocean. It touched him in a way a woman hadn't ever before, making his heart feel weak as she described what he thought must have been the most beautiful piece of jewelry there could be.

"I would like to see that," he said sincerely. He looked at her with a new fascination, as if some other woman were buried beneath the hellion he'd accompanied all day and he was just starting to see glimmers of her. Then again, maybe the stress of the day was finally taking its toll and Riccardo was hallucinating that his wife wasn't in fact a demon from the pits of hell itself.

This feeling would only grow as they went home for the evening, to spend their first night together, an experience Riccardo was mortified of being a part of, and even thought of leaving Genoa in the night to save himself... even if only for a fleeting moment. His papa was counting on him, now, and he would at least try to make his family proud, even if he himself were to be miserable as a consequence...

---

Awaking with Caterina was a strange experience, having never slept in the same bed with another person his entire life. His bed was certainly large enough, but fear of touching her made the space seem much smaller than it actually was. He thought that maybe he could give them a better start to the day by bringing her breakfast. She may not have been royalty, per se, but he suspected that she may have appreciated being treated as such. So, he snuck out the door to his bedroom and made his way downstairs to the dining area and kitchens. Fresh fruit and some meats would be good, he thought.

As he was about to reach the kitchen, though, he was ambushed by his own mother, Rosa.

"Good morning, Riccardo dear," she said, with a tone that sent chills through Riccardo's spine like never before.

"Good morning, mamma."

"So, how did last night go?"

He couldn't hide the shock and shame of his own mother asking him such a question. "Well, mamma, I uh, I mean, we..." he stopped, clearing his throat. "We are husband and wife." He was content to leave it at that. "Where is papà?"

"Hmph. He left early this morning on 'business,'" she said. "He is as cryptic as you are. No details for his dear Rosa about that business, oh no, only that it is very important..." she said, closing her eyes in disdain. "You should take better care of your Caterina than your papà takes care of me. Unlike me, I think that woman will do something to you if you keep ruining things for her."

Rosa cackled, as if her joke about Caterina's behavior was something to laugh at. Alas, Riccardo was not nearly as amused.

"That's good advice, mamma, thank you."

"That's good of you to mind your own mother, dear. Now, I'm off to find whatever 'business' it is your father is up to..." With that, she left the room, exposing the kitchen and its various foods to Riccardo, who darted into the room and started gathering a plate of goods for his blushing bride. Well, he thought, she would be blushing if her face wasn't quite so red from all the anger instead. Pleased with his assortment, he made his way back to his room, slowly entering the room to see Caterina was now awake, and brushing her hair from the look of it.

"My darling, I've brought us something to eat to start the day," he said. She hopped back into the bed naturally, but as she did so Riccardo couldn't help but think of the night before, and wondered if her thoughts were also trailing back to what had occurred. It seemed almost like a dream, but at the same time a nightmare, that he was finding impossible to describe even in his own head, let alone if he were to actually speak to her about it. Still, he thought maybe he could try again today. Everything depended on the sunset, he thought. So, for now, he scooched close in the bed to Caterina with the tray of food, allowing her to pick what she wanted before finding something of his own.

"You look.. radiant, today," he said, trying to break the ice as she mentioned not being a morning person. "I hope you didn't find my bed too uncomfortable to sleep on, at least. Once we get done eating, I'd like to tell you about my plans for the day. For now, I'd like to talk about..." he said, stopping. "..Actually, never mind. It's nothing." He then took a bite of an apple, hoping she would drop it and move on, but worried he'd already said too much to avoid causing another confrontation of sorts...

Green eyes studied the assortment of foods that Riccardo had chosen for them, taking in each and every option while he spoke of trying to find something good for them to start their day. Her next choice was an apple, Caterina focusing mainly on the fruits and leaving the meat for her husband as he struggled to start conversation with her. She was perfectly content to sit and eat in silence but it seemed he had other plans in mind. She lifted her eyes from the tray to him as he complimented her before asking how she had slept.

"I slept fine." Caterina spoke, keeping it short and to the point. His bed hadn't been an issue nor had his presence been, even if it had been an adjustment at first to get used to sharing the bed with him. She paused as he suggested they talk about something before changing his mind and instead concealed his thoughts once more. "What is it?" She questioned, giving an inquisitive tilt of her head and locking her eyes on his. He seemed to take his time with that apple as if it would save him from giving her the answers that she desired and for the sake of enjoying a peaceful breakfast she decided to let it go. For now.

"What of your plans for the day?" She questioned, wondering what all he had in mind and what he expected of her. She wanted to take a tour of his home, to learn more about it and to find the places that she could go to for comfort. To hopefully find a spot where she could work her jewelry and basket weaving in relative peace.

Now that they were eating, having survived their first night together, Riccardo was ready to reveal his initial plan for making the money they needed not to be exiled. He would, however, need to convince Caterina of that plan in the first place. He didn't really know why he was hesitating so much, especially when he'd been confident about taking her home to his bed in the first place despite their wedding. Perhaps it was the looming threat of exile, the face of her father, stern and unforgiving, knowing that he would make good on his word and send them both to that island together. And all for a wedding, of all things. It dawned on Riccardo: what kind of man did that to his own daughter? Certainly something to discuss later with Caterina, he thought.

"Well, mi amore, we have a busy few weeks ahead of us if we're going to make the money we need to stay in Genoa. Thankfully, you have a skill we can use to get there. You can make your jewelry, and I can sell it during the day for a few hours. That's at least a start, and who knows, maybe it will make us even more money than we could hope."

Optimism was his only shield at a time like this. It wasn't in his nature to give up easily and he wanted to prove to Caterina that he really was a husband she could be proud of. Even, of course, if only for his sheer tenacity.

"At least... if that's alright with you. If not, we'll have to come up with something else." He took a bite of one of the sausages, taking the time to properly chew and swallow before continuing. "After all, your jewelry is precious to me, just as you are. In fact, I hate my own idea, yet I think we must do it. Very little else would make us so much money in such a short time."

He knew he was putting a lot of pressure on her suddenly, yet he hoped she would accept, even if it was just to save her own skin. The next few weeks would prove to be difficult indeed, but perhaps if they could at least work together on making the money, then they at least had a chance, however slim.

"Well? What do you think? Can we sell your jewelry?"

A serious look crossed his face as he mulled over his plans, or rather their plans. She was surprised to see him so serious, though soon she understood why as he told her that they would need to find a way to make money sooner than later. What she didn't expect was for him to suggest that her jewelry be the way to do that, Caterina looking at him with wide eyes. He had never seen her jewelry, didn't know anything about it and here he was - putting his faith in her that it could make them the money they needed to stay in Genoa and not be sent away into exile.

She fell into an uneasy silence, her nerves working through her as she tried to figure out just how much jewelry would need to be made and how much time the two of them had. This wasn't at all what she had expected him to discuss, and even now she was wondering if she had heard him correctly. "I... I think you should at least see my jewelry before you make such a decision." Caterina spoke hesitantly, hoping that it would live up to the standards he was suddenly putting onto it.

"Let me craft something for you so that you can see my work for yourself. And then you can decide if it is worth selling from there." Caterina finally decided, grabbing a piece of sausage and nibbling on it. He was certainly asking for a lot of her but she had promised him that she would do whatever she could to make sure he succeeded in fulfilling the deal he had made. Lest they both be sent away to exile.

Riccardo couldn't help but nod to her as she explained her concerns about his idea. It was only homemade jewelry, after all, but he had faith in her that they could at least do something with it. That is, unless Caterina had some hidden talent for jewelry-making that she was simply being humble about. She was right, though, and he would just have to see an example of her work.

"Well, it was just an idea. But, you're right. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself."

He wondered, though, how far ahead of himself he could really get considering that he didn't have time to waste when it came to making the money they needed. He leaned back for a moment, putting his hands behind his head and just staring to the other side of his room. He started to think out loud.

"I often fish when I'm with my friends out on the sea. Selling fish hardly seems like it would make enough money to pay for a wedding ceremony though, not to mention the necklace I promised. Maybe... maybe I could go trading with my papa, too. After all, such a thing should run in my blood, no? Maybe I could do that while you make jewelry during the day, then in the evening, we sell?"

He turned to her again, offering a smile. "I would have liked to spend a lot more time with my new wife, but I think for now this may just be how we have to live. Yet... if I find you at my bedside every night--at least, when you aren't staying with your family--I think that it is something I could bear."

He now took a bite of a small piece of bread, taking care not to get crumbs in the bed. He was strangely mournful that already there would be some conflict in the two of them seeing each other, but then, he also hadn't had to work a day in his life, and now that he was a man in the more... traditional... sense of the word, he thought it was time to perhaps step up to the challenge. Or, at least something like that...

Now that she had voiced her concerns it seemed that he was seeing reason or at least a little bit more reason, finally acknowledging that he needed to see the quality of her work before he could even consider selling it. "Don't get me wrong, I will still do my best to produce fine quality jewelry to help you. I'll do whatever I can to make sure that you succeed - that we get through this. I just don't want you to put all of your faith in me and to be disappointed when it's not what you thought it was." Caterina explained, noting the sudden change in his demeanor. He had been hopeful before but now he seemed to be reserved as he continued brain-storming his options.

"I'll make a bracelet today while you go and talk business with your papa." She spoke, knowing that they had a strict timeline to not only make a decision but to get product and sales going. "We are still going to see the sunset on the ocean tonight, yes? And what of a tour? I'd love to see more of your home." Caterina was shy with her requests, hoping that he had left at least a little bit of time for her. She would need proper inspiration for her work and a good place to work from as well.

She was surprised as he mentioned the new timing constraints that would no doubt apply to them, her eyes scanning over his features to see if he was genuine with the fact that he would miss her during the daytime hours when they both would be busy. She wouldn't mind the solace and time to work in peace but she supposed now that she was getting to know Riccardo she wouldn't mind his presence. So long as he wasn't getting in her way or disturbing her work.

If he were to cause a mishap while she was in the midst of making a bracelet she very well may kill him, use his teeth for part of the bracelet.

His answer to his first thought was simple and reassuring. "Well, regardless of the quality of your jewelry, you will still be my wife. And we will not go to Corsica." His tone was confident, adamant even. "I have faith in you." He rubbed her back softly.

"I'll make a bracelet today while you go and talk business with your papa."

"I think that sounds like a good plan. Although..." he said, stroking his chin. "No, we shouldn't. We need to work today. I just... well, I know we were going to see the sunset. That much we will do. And I think I will take you on a tour of the Aldini estate as well, as soon as we are done with our food here," he said, smiling.

In a few minutes, they would clear the little tray of breakfast, and Riccardo would get out of bed. He'd offer to help Caterina up, but thought she would likely get up herself before he could get to the other side of the bed. His mind occasionally wandered to their first night spent together, but he tried to stay focused on what they were going to do next. He gave her time to get dressed, checking himself in the mirror quickly to make sure he wasn't looking obscene in some way, and ended up adjusting his shirt a little to get a better fit. However, another thought crossed his mind.

"Hey, Caterina... I was thinking, and we should probably bathe."

He really hoped she wouldn't take it personally, but he could at the very least smell himself, and thought it might be a welcome recommendation. "I can have the maids run some water and prepare some fresh clothes for us, too. I can go first, if you like," he said. "Or, you can go first so you aren't stuck waiting. What do you say?"

It was uplifting to see how much faith he had in her, something that she hardly thought she deserved after the previous day's stress and conflict between the pair but here he was, assuring her that everything would be okay. No matter what, she would still be his wife and they would find a way to make things work. She paused at the sudden physical contact between them, green eyes meeting his briefly as she thought back to their night together. She had enjoyed his touch then but now she didn't wish for any form of contact, even if it was meant to be soothing.

A thoughtful look crossed his features as he debated the day's plans, they only had so much time and they needed to figure out their finances sooner rather than later. No, we shouldn't. For a moment anger started to swell within her as she feared that he was going to cancel the plans that they were both looking forward to. Relief washed over her as he changed his tune, insisting that they would still find a way to see the sunset together and to take their tour. She hadn't seen much of the estate the night before, only seeing what the moon light and the candle light allowed but Riccardo had described it in such a perfect manner that it left her wanting to see more.

She worked on finishing her breakfast, trying to sample a few different parts of the assorted foods on the tray before there was nothing left. She watched as Riccardo moved to observe himself, pausing at his next suggestion. They both certainly did need a bath and she was fond of baths anyways. She would take one whether she needed one or not. "I'd like to go first." Caterina spoke, leaving little room for discussion. "At some point I'll need to go home... to my family estate." She corrected herself, finding it odd that this was now her home. "I'll need to collect my supplies and I'll likely give you a list of things to collect for me while you're out and about today as well, if it's okay with you."

Things were tense and uneasy between them once more as she realized that they really didn't know how to interact with one another. The only source of bonding had been over the ocean and their bonding time was going to be limited while they both scrambled to find a way to obtain the money that Riccardo owed.

Riccardo nodded as Caterina revealed her plans. "Yes, that's good. I'll go and check on something while you do that, and meet you back here, in the lobby or dining room. I am eager to see what you have for us, and, of course, to see your beautiful work." He gave her a quick smile. "I'll go have the maids run a bath for you. I'll be back in a moment."

He left the room, then quickly walked back in, giving her a fast kiss on her lips, deep and passionate. Then, he left again, with nary so much as a word about it. He walked quickly through the halls, yet he couldn't help but think of his conversation this morning with his mother. What was his father doing that was so important that his dear mother was left behind every morning? Was that the life that lay in store for him as he, too became a merchant? Never seeing his wife? Never seeing the ocean? Spending all day checking lists and wares? He'd sigh, if he weren't walking so quickly. In a moment, he reached the maids' quarters and told them of their new task. Then, he was walking back again, and so too were his thoughts. And what about Caterina, anyway? She seemed much more cooperative now--perhaps he had redeemed himself, although the biggest work was yet to be done. But he was determined not to fail, and that she would have a second chance at the wedding, and this time he wouldn't mess up.

Finally, he was back at his room. "Caterina, my dear wife, the baths should be ready for you shortly. I will take you to them. The maids have some fresh clothes for you, too. Apparently, my mother was prepared and bought you some things. Well, shall we go?" He asked, then shortly leading her down the hall.

Along the way, he asked a question, his voice quiet and doubtful. "Do you think we can really do it?"

A look of genuine confusion was directed at Riccardo as he rattled off all of their possible meeting areas as if she knew her way around the Aldini estate already. What was he hoping for? For her to get lost so they may never see one another again? Caterina found herself thinking that it wasn't such a horrible fate - living in a large estate and never having to see your husband. She watched him leave, soon turning to examine her new living quarters now that daylight was helping to illuminate them.

She wasn't expecting Riccardo to return so soon or to be so brave as he kissed her with a boldness that she would have never expected of him after the previous day's events. Caterina's face warmed as she looked at him in shock, watching him walk away once more without a single word about it. Of course she knew that the man who struggled with yesterday's ongoing events wasn't the man that she was to face for the rest of her days. No. He had made sure to prove himself to her and would continue to do so and that was something that made her want to fight at his side. To help him make this marriage a success.

Caterina was dwelling in her thoughts once more as he returned once more, nodding as he gave her the news that her bath was ready as were some fresh clothes. His mother had been kind enough to buy her new clothing, something that was somehow surprising to her. "Is the shoulder intact?" She mused, the hint of a playful smile lining her lips as she walked through the estate with him. She paused at his next question, that smile immediately fading as she picked up on the doubt in his voice.

"If you look at it with the feelings you're displaying in your voice right now, we don't stand a chance." Caterina spoke, her voice stern as she glared at him. "Papa always said that the second we start to let doubt manifest that it will only ensure our failure." Her voice lowered at the mention of her father, her eyes casting away from him briefly. "We can do it. We will find a way."

Now that she had eaten and was coming to her senses, it seemed that Caterina was back to being herself for the time being. He wondered quietly if perhaps all he needed was to keep Caterina in a perpetually sleepy state, such that she might show him a little more mercy than she had otherwise. He shrugged off the thought, knowing that perhaps the only way to gain his wife's respect was to make good on his word. And to do that, he would need to make money. A lot of it. Quickly.

As always, his wife's sharp wit surprised him. However, this time her words were filled with wisdom instead of their typical biting sarcasm. "...Right. There's a way, and we just need to find it." He nodded, his eyes full of determination. After all, they had a plan for the day. "There's hope, so long as the sun is rising and we have each other."

With that, he left her to bathe. In the meantime, he checked some of his belongings in his room, trying to see if there was anything he could pawn off. Unfortunately, there wasn't much beyond his own clothes, and if he needed to sell those, then the situation was dire indeed. Still, it was something to keep in mind. Fine doublets and dress clothes could fetch at least a decent price. Maybe even enough to buy Caterina the new jewelry he'd promised, a necklace or a bracelet. Of course, he had yet to see her own jewelry-making skills; perhaps he merely needed to buy the components, rather than the finished product.

No, that won't do. I can't make her work for her own gift.

Enough time had passed by now though that he thought perhaps Caterina might be finished, so he headed back to the baths. Perhaps it was because he was distracted, but when he arrived he haphazardly opened the door to the baths themselves, not thinking to ask twice to see if she was even done first...

"Caterina, my wife, I have some good news," he said, as he walked in.

Knowing that her husband had his doubts about whether or not they could make the money in time troubled her but she was determined not to let it show, if the both of them started giving into their fears then they were certainly doomed. She wasn't even sure how much they needed to make or the deadline in which they had to meet, all she knew was that they were in debt and owed money. After her lecture it seemed that Riccardo had changed his tune, once more back to being optimistic and swearing that he could do anything with her at his side. Did he truly believe in her that much? Or did he just happen to believe that he could do anything with her at his side because she wouldn't accept his failure?

They were at the baths now and she turned to make sure that he was leaving for good this time and that he wouldn't come rushing back in whilst she was undressing herself or washing herself. Green eyes stayed glued to the door, watching as it closed behind Riccardo before turning her attention to the bath that was waiting for her. Another wary look was cast over her shoulder towards the door behind her, once again making sure that there would be no intrusions before she slid out of the dress that she had found waiting on her. She carefully folded it and set it aside before approaching and climbing into the warm water that the tub provided. A breath of relief sounded from her and she took her time in washing herself, deciding that she would take a few much needed moments to herself.

This entire arrangement had gone south much faster than she could have ever expected. Publicly shamed and embarrassed by her husband, immediate debt, and no sure-fire way to fix any of it. Riccardo was still timid around her and understandably so after she had made her position and feelings clear but she was starting to see a backbone developing within him - a newfound determination. She was pulled from her thoughts as the door peeked open, Caterina grasping for her towel and covering herself with it in the tub.

"Out." She snapped, sinking further down into the tub and holding the towel over herself. She would certainly need a new towel after this but her main concern was throwing her clueless husband out of the bathing room. Once Riccardo was gone she rose out of the tub and held the soaking wet towel to herself, seeing one other dry towel in the room - likely meant for Riccardo. Caterina snatched it from the rack where it was lying in wait, drying herself hurriedly and sliding into the green dress that his mother had bought for her.

Once she was adequately dressed she carried the damp towel out to Riccardo, shoving it against his chest none too gently and glancing down at him. "If you had been patient and waited your turn I wouldn't have had to use your towel. Knock next time." She huffed, regarding him with one last glare before heading back to their room so that she could wait on him to finish his bath.

He wasn't sure what he was expecting when he barged into the bathroom without so much as a knock, but in hindsight, he likely could have predicted this outcome if he'd had even an ounce more foresight. Riccardo quickly turned away at the brief sight of his bathing wife, pondering to himself that this was far too similar to Actaeon and Diana, and he prepared himself to be changed into a stag to be run down by the Aldini family dog. As he quickly closed the door behind him, he braced himself for that potential transformation, only to discover to his relief that he had not married the goddess, and that his death would probably come to him in some other way than a terrible transformation. He reminded himself not to eat anything Caterina gave to him, at least for a while, since that would probably be the closest thing to a divine punishment she could wreak on him...

He waited what felt like an eternity until finally Caterina emerged, wet towel in hand, forcing it into Riccardo's hands with her familiar fury. Riccardo sheepishly apologized, "I'm sorry, my love, I simply was excited about something I discovered. I suppose I should tell you, seeing as I ruined your bath for it..." He rubbed the back of his head. It felt like his wedding all over again. "I have a lot of dress clothes... doublets, and things like that, some with gems even, that I could sell to help pay for things. I was thinking I'd sell them alongside your jewelry. Which, by the way, I can't wait to see," he said, going for an easy compliment in the hopes it might appease her anger, though he strongly suspected it would not.

"Uh, anyway, I'd like to give you that tour, once I have time for my own bath. If you like, you could pester the maids in the kitchens if you're looking for something to eat. There's also the balcony in my room, if you'd like to take a look at that. Oh, and the gardens on the ground floor. They're beautiful this time of year, if you like admiring such things. Wherever you go, I'll find you there." He gave her a real smile, knowing she was probably still furious, and then went into the bathroom, sheepishly shutting the door behind him.

As he stripped and dipped into the bath, which blessedly was still warm, he slunk down and stared out the window at Genoa. It was a world of opportunity, or, at least so it seemed. And perhaps he and Caterina were about to go make their mark on it, if he could only stop invoking her anger every few hours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back