• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy An Alchemist and a Maid

AeroTempest

Appreciator of midriffs
Roleplay Type(s)
Bella GladstoneBellaGladstone.jpg
Mentions: NimbusWing NimbusWing

"La la la la." a song without any particular lyrics was being sung by a rather small and unassuming young woman with brown hair and red eyes, she didn't look like much besides the usual merchant of sorts, dressed in a presentable outfit consisting of a brown vest and a mostly brown with white ruffles skirt that paired with her white button up shirt and a ruffled cravat that would leave a positive impression on mostly anyone who would meet her, nothing overly fancy but nevertheless the appearance of a respectable shopkeeper, her bags laid by her side as she was down upon her knees on a wide open floor in the back of her store where she did her work.

Her work being alchemy and the current task she was performing was drawing a transmutation circle as she got her various supplies ready to perform the task of equivalent exchange, to change these materials into something of equivalent value. As she finished her circle she pushed her hands down upon it and opened her eyes with fierce determination as the materials then changed into something else, but before the dust could settle, said new material was volatile and exploded in a small cloud of dust and sending the small woman sliding back a little onto her bottom. "Drat! That's the third time this week! Oh Bella will your luck ever change!" Said the girl to herself alone as she groaned and leaned back as she lamented her failures that were rather common to one Bella Gladstone, an aspiring alchemist who had spent much of her childhood as a pathetically sickly girl until her dabbling in alchemy led to one day where a mishmash of various materials got caught up in a ritual and managed to cure her of her illness, the event that would serve as the catalyst to her attempts to recreate it as well as expand her knowledge and skillset to become a truly great alchemist. Some would call her desperate even and they would perhaps be right but Bella was undeterred, Gladstone Apothecary would one day be a great destination for all alchemists instead of a house mistaken for a mere residential home every time her shoddily made sign blew away in the wind.

"I just hope Geevee gets here soon...." Bella said as she looked towards her door, having expected the arrival of her friend Genevieve or "Geevee" as she called her affectionately, a maid who's stoic nature was unflappable and created many rumors about her being some sort of undead, or a golem created by Bella when she was young given the loyalty of the woman to her. All of course were untrue but they persisted anyways.

Genevieve HopewellWQ7c6g9.jpg

Almost is if she was mentally linked with the alchemist who had underwent yet another unfortunate case of events regarding her research, the woman and good friend of which Bella often referred to as 'Geevee' had entered the store, tinkling bells echoing in the front to signal that one had made their entrance in spite of the wooden 'Store Closed' sign that hung by the door. When one often came across Genevieve, she was without a doubt every bit the firm and dutiful maid one would have expected as they gazed upon her, dressed in head to toe in her traditional maid uniform of a dress with long puffed sleeved, a skirt that had extended just up to her ankles, and a neat white apron with a small amount of frills. Nothing too flashy, but she fit the role to an absolute T.

At this point of time, she had just returned from an outing towards the local markets in order to purchase food and supplies for the week, two baskets filled with the goods she fairly acquired carried gently. As she pushed open the door and walked inside with her heeled shoes gently striking the floor with a resounding 'click, click, click', it was at the moment that she heard the sudden mention of her name; or rather, the nickname she was granted by the woman she sought to take care of. Geevee. It wasn't something she was too fond of, but it made Bella happy, and that was more than enough for her to accept it. It could have been worse either way. It was at that point that she treaded through the front of the store, weaving through potions, vials, ambelics and other pieces of the store's stock, before she found herself inside Bella's researching grounds, in which she witnessed the dazed alchemist on her bottom, with yet another attempt to create something backfired. Quickly she whipped straight into action, setting the baskets aside.

"Bella." She responded flatly as she swiftly but cautiously moved her way around the mess that was made to reach the woman she served, extending a hand outwards so she could help Bella up from the ground. "I see that you've been continuing on with your research... and I assume that the results are not as we have hoped?"

In spite of her lack of emotion, it was clear that she had a firm care for the clumsy woman who stood before her. A lot of said clumsiness she knew amounted from Bella's bedridden state during her illness several years ago - which was at that time she went from a simple and quiet maid-for-hire at the Servant's Guild to a full-time caretaker for Bella. Over that course of time, she became a trusted friend to Bella and the rest of her family, tending to Bella's health while performing a great deal of chores including but not limited to the cooking and cleaning. Serving the Gladstone family became her life and she was more than pleased to do it.

And even with Bella's miraculous curing of her illness, Genevieve's work failed to slow down. Not that she wanted it to anyways.

She pulled Bella up with a quiet "Umph." before she gave a quick once-over to her mistress to see if she was really ok. "I see. Mess aside, you look unharmed by your experiment. Wonderful." Her stone-cold expression remained despite the good news she discovered. Smiling was just something that didn't come naturally to her. "If you're feeling any symptoms, such as a headache or a fever, then please let me know. I'll see it to you that we take you to the family doctor as soon as possible."

Genevieve then moved over towards a small alcove in the room containing some of her cleaning equipment, in which she pulled out her trusty broom, gliding to the mess and examining it before she effortlessly began to sweep parts of the ash covered floor into a pile with great efficiency.

"I would also like to inform you that our weekly shopping has been done. Everything has been kept in line with the budget that you have set and we still have money to spare for the store. Aside from that, I would recommend that you perhaps take a break from said work as I clean this room for you. A simple stroll outside will do you wonders - it will improve your leg strength and give you the opportunity to meet our new neighbors. They must be wondering what the commotion is here now that we've recently opened this store."

Mentions: NimbusWing NimbusWing
"But Geeveeeee!" Bella basically whined as her closest friend, who was also her maid picked her up and set her upright after her little lab incident and with a pout on her face she turned to face her maid pal with a face that was turning a light pink with embarrassment and flustering. "Do I really have to? I'm here to run the business, not necessarily to make idle chit chat with people outside the field. They couldn't possibly be interested in a girl like me running a shop like this could they?" She asked as she turned her face downwards with a light sigh before she felt her own feet return to the ground, her flats making gentle clacking noises as she began to walk about her store with a fret.

"T-thanks for picking me up though Geevee and I do greatly appreciate you cleaning up this entire mess too." She said more bashfully and more gratefully as she walked gently around, regaining her balance as she fixed her appearance. "I know I should go out more to improve my condition even further but I just can't put my mind at ease so easily until I figure out exactly how I cured myself. It was a total fluke and I must know how to do it purposely!" Bella said as her voice picked up in noise and intensity as she grinned widely at her stoic servant. "Besides Geevee, have you really gotten to known anyone yourself? I know it's hard for you to express yourself and I'm one of the only people who can seem to even read you at all but it wouldn't hurt if you got out there too." Bella said with a cheeky smirk as she went back to rearranging her vials to prepare for her next experiment.

"Just one more experiment Geevee? Then maybe I'll go out for a bit on a walk..." She pleaded as she searched through her tomes before removing one and opening it to read, she truly seemed to be stalling for as much time as she could get to avoid dragging herself away from her alchemy and the raw research potential she was only beginning to grasp.[/side]

Genevieve was midway through her sweeping when she had heard the sudden child-like whining from Bella upon listening to her advice to get out into the sun and into the wide open world. It wasn't the first time that she recalled Bella acting like this - sometimes when feeding her dinner, sometimes when even going as far as to choose her clothing for the day - but it was clear as to Genevieve as to why Bella was acting like this right now. Bella always was the sheltered young lady, partially because of her now-cured illness. It was not something she was used to.

"I'm afraid becoming the alchemist you wish to truly be will result in more than just you running a simple store and performing experiments, Bella." Genevieve firmly stated at first, slowing down her sweeping as she watched Bella pace back and forth nervously. It was true that Bella wasn't necessarily acting like the professional businesswoman and accomplished alchemist that Genevieve thought that she could eventually be... but as much as Genevieve wanted to help her friend out, she couldn't just force Bella out into the world and learn the hard way. She was still too inexperienced, still too fragile... or so Genevieve had thought.

And all she would say in turn was: "And when you're ready, I will be there to help you as is my duty as your maid."

But that was until she heard Bella's comment about how she hadn't really known anybody else either. She struggled to make an emotive response. Her eyebrows adjusted subtly, almost in a bit of regretful agreement. It was true, she was but a woman in a world where others didn't seem to know - or even bother - about who she was. It just came with the job of a maid. Her life was put into the devotion of another, and she very simply didn't have the time to do so. And even if she did, it wasn't like people were going to bother. Bella was clumsy when it came to many a task, but she spoke without much of a problem. Genevieve, on the other hand, knew it all too well that she found it difficult to express herself as a person.

She could speak to others and perform what tasks she could do with no issue. That was expected. But outside of her job, Genevieve felt as if she was like a magically-sealed research tome. Difficult to unlock, and difficult to even understand. And she failed to see why she was like this.

And in a slightly unexpected action - at least to those who knew Genevieve - she suddenly released a quiet sigh, giving in to Bella's desperate demands. "... So be it. I'll accompany you with your experiment and assist you with what you will require. One more experiment. And what will it be this time?"

"Oh wow! A sigh! You're not usually this expressive Geevee, it's always fun to see you express.. well something. I can read you most of the time anyways but y'know what I mean." Bella said with a cheerful smile on her face and a slight sing song to her tone as she said the last few words of her sentence before she turned around and pulled out her tome and opened it to a page of runes that she had learned to decipher. "I'm going to try to exchange a large quantity of dirt and wood into a small amount of metal. It isn't much but hopefully I'll.... and yeah I know this is kind of forbidden but transmutate something into gold! I'm not gonna use it or anything!" She said as she threw her hands up and waved them in a worried panic to try to discourage Genevieve from panicking... Even though the maid would never express that much emotion. "Just y'know to see if I can.. I hear it's a very difficult thing to do."

With this said Bella began to unload various supplies from her bags and from her cupboards and place them in a heap before she took out a piece of chalk and drew a circle around them once more as she focused deeply and placed her hands down as soon her heap of supplies began disappearing and in its place small pieces of copper and tin formed instead. "It didn't blow up this time! Exchange done!" She said with a cheerful grin as she went to take Genevieve's hands. "You see that Geevee! I did it!" With absolute joy and happiness in her voice, she even began to twirl, almost trying to lead Genevieve into a dance before she stumbled a bit. "My bad Gee.. Forgot I had two left feet for a moment."

With a yawn and a sigh Bella would raise her hands above her head and look out to her door wistfully. "You know maybe you're right though. I've been cooped up in here for a while. What's the point of having my health back if I'm still as much a shut in as I was before. At least before was because I didn't have a choice but I don't really have an excuse anymore. Maybe we could go see your sister or something down at the tavern." Bella suggested as she put her hands together. "And if we go to see her then maybe I can talk to the guys in the guild about getting me some more supplies! Hard to get anyone to agree to it, maybe I'll have to start doing my own adventures..." She said with a pout as she crossed her arms. "Can't be helped. C'mon Geevee!"

It was bad enough that Genevieve gave in to Bella's demands yet again to perform yet another one of her dangerous alchemy experiments. The young woman who quickly went to her work before her was certainly ambitious in her field, to say the least. As if the fact that she had cured herself from her illness brought a confidence high that only created intrigue as to how she could replicate it. But for the maid who for the most part spent a lot of her life under simplicity and hard work over the rapidly expanding world of the Magical - and Alchemical - Arts, Genevieve couldn't help but to feel like topics like these were absolutely alien to her. She couldn't make sense out of some of these ideas and how they worked. How does a large pile of dirt and wood turn itself into metal ore? What causes these small explosions in the first place? There was a level of uncertainty Genevieve felt when it came to Bella and her alchemy, as much as she went along with it.

Where Bella's strengths came from the curiosity of the unknown as well as intrigue from her wild discoveries, Genevieve's was from a straightforward foundation of loyalty and perseverance. If Bella was to need help, she would assist. She couldn't turn her back on her, especially now. Bella's needs and desires were her life.

A moment such as this however... she didn't know what she could do. For once, Bella was the one completely in control, and as she unpacked her natural ingredients for the transmutation, it was that one word that silently sounded off in Genevieve's head as she kept her broom on hand. Forbidden. By what did she mean by that? Genevieve could only feel more tense as she witnessed the green glow of magic from Bella's fingertips as she focused her energies upon the transmutation... before the only thing left were the prerequisite blacksmithing materials to barely even smelt a decent amount of bronze. It only created more questions around Genevieve's head, which lasted for a few seconds until she suddenly found herself with her victorious master, a sudden victim to her infectious joy as she was encouraged to dance along.

So she did.

While far from a woman who really exposed herself to enough of the world's higher cultures to know what some of the classier dances ladies moved to were, Genevieve's nimble dexterity rendered her somewhat more than capable of keeping up with Bella's own unfocused but nonetheless beautiful movements... but it was a little clear that even through her movements were precise, there wasn't much passion, much emotion. It was almost as if she was an automaton made to dance perfectly, but without the heart that made a dancer a dancer in the first place. Nevertheless, she continued her own dance alongside her friend, up until Bella's clumsiness yet again got the better of her.

"Hm. Congratulations, Lady Gladstone." She applauded, giving a quiet clap and a bow towards Bella. "A successful experiment as well as a dance. I never would have expected both to happen in such a short amount of time." Genevieve then once more picked up her trusty broom, sweeping the dusty remnants of the experiment into another pile carefully in hope that she wouldn't end up causing an accident. She was more than content to stay at home and hold down the fort as Bella went on her stroll; she had enough absolute trust that she could make it back in one piece. But that was up until she was encouraged to accompany her that threw 'Geevee' off guard yet again. Today really was just a day of unexpected surprises for her, wasn't it?

"You... wish for me to join you on your stroll?" Genevieve responded before she looked down at the mess she still had to clean up. Then there was also the clutter of alchemical equipment still in the store... it was obvious nature for the maid to want things spick and span, especially since she was to help represent Gladstone Apothecary. Yet she couldn't bear resistance to Bella's demands. Especially with. "And to see Mina Hopewell... so be it. I believe there are more efficient things I could be doing at time but if you wish it."

Thus, setting her broom aside, she kept a straight face as a bit of disappointment sunk into her heart for what was a currently unfinished job as a maid, before she turned to Bella and bowed.

"Let us go. And do mind the store's stock on the way out."

"Mina Hopewell.. Why are you referring to your own sister by her full name? Always so formal Geevee! I know that being all stoic and what not is your thing but... You know what no, even if I told you you'd only do it BECAUSE I told you." Bella said with a sigh as she walked out with her maid friend in tow. "It is my store, I'll even help you clean later when we get back. We just need to get out of here for now, otherwise I never will." Bella said sheepishly as she rubbed the back of her head and chucked awkwardly as she locked the door behind her after the two had left and then gave a light stretch and tilting her head back and forth. "Thanks for reminding me at least Gee. I know I whine a bit but you've got a really solid head on your shoulders and you keep me straight. I fear you're busier now than when I was bedridden! You're not the type to complain I know but you can always tell me Gee." She said with a genuine smile.

"I think we should go introduce the both of ourselves to members of the guild when we get down there. I think we'd cover more ground that way in networking. More people we know, the more people we can get supplies from." Bella said with a proud hum as she put her hands on her hips and strutted forward a little before stopping herself short of stepping on a branch that would've most definitely swung up and hit her. "Will I ever have the sort of grace you or any of those really pretty ladies I've seen around do?" She said with a sad sigh as she returned to walking as she did, occasionally picking her skirt up with her hands so she could better look at her feet and avoid any unwanted surprises. "Tavern's just ahead Geevee!" She announced as she pointed to the building, a humble but still imposing inn of sorts with the crest of the Adventurer's Guild upon it and she soon scurried towards the door. "You can always find the most fascinating adventurers here. Some of them think I'm cute apparently and take pity on me.. I wish they wouldn't but it does have its advantages in getting them to do fetch quests for me hehehehe." She chuckled with a blush upon her face.

"I have no reason to complain." The dutiful maid said in response, as she weaved across the store stock before she pushed open the door of the Apothecary, holding it for Bella to leave before she would close it and lock the door with their house key. Just for a brief second she'd look over at the wooden 'Closed' sign that hung idly, before she turned her attention back over towards the woman she took care of.

"Your health and safety is of my utmost importance, after all. I would rather you be out here connecting with others than you are bedridden and ill. Hopefully this venture will reveal itself as a fruitful experience for you, especially when we head towards the Adventurer's Guild. As for the tavern..." Her mind wandered over towards that of her more emotional, flirty elder sister; Mina Hopewell. The thought of such a woman didn't seem to visibly faze Genevieve as one would have expected, but she always found her to be a little... odd and confusing. "I fail to see the point. Alcohol is far from something I appreciate for reasons that you should be aware of by now, and the atmosphere bears itself a stench of violence and depression. I've heard bar fights frequent inns and taverns during my experience cleaning up several of these locales. Never have I fallen victim to one, but I've often been called in so I may clean up their mess."

It was at that point that Genevieve came to a sudden realization; she was talking perhaps a bit too much about her past. Quickly rectifying her mistakes, her walking became a sudden standstill in order for her to bow towards Bella apologetically. "My sincere apologies. It appears that I may have divulged a bit of the information of my experiences prior to my employment. Your time spent should not be with me explaining my past. It is your story, and I am here to serve. Now, let us carry on."

"Regarding the Adventurer's Guild, however. Rest assured that I know for a fact that you will be up to speed with your peers and friends with enough physical therapy. I haven't the knowledge on what your relationship truly is like with the Guild having not ventured there for your chores yet, but if you insist that they may directly supply you with the ingredients you need rather than letting me handle the requests for you, then I will place my trust in you that you can handle this task."

Bella GladstoneBellaGladstone.jpg Location:Guild's Tavern

Bella let out a mighty sigh and a little pout as she tilted her head back towards her usually tight lipped and stoic friend before walking up to her and shaking her very gently. "Oh c'mon Geevee you never talk about past or anything! That was more I've heard from your doings and adventures then I've heard in the last few months! I wish you would talk to me about your life a bit more Gee. You're a lot more interesting than you realize and I could listen to the sound of your voice for a long time.. It's really oddly pleasant and soothing." She said with a small smile before she opened the door to the tavern and went to be seated, drawing looks from the various adventurers as Bella had gained something of a reputation for being someone who was very eager to ask for a favor but not very wealthy in terms of what she could pay for adventurers, rendering her something of a joke among the Guild as they began whispering about Bella and her silly ways.

As she sat down she was soon met by the bartender of the tavern, a woman who looked similar to Genevieve with steel blue hair that was kept in a short ponytail and earrings upon her ears that swung back and forth as she moved behind her counter.
"Well well well if it isn't lil Bella. You drag my wet blanket of a sister out here too? Good to see you again Gee. No piss, vomit or blood for you to clean up... Yet but I'll let you know if we need your skills for it." She said with a hearty and teasing chuckle. "As for you Bella, you might have to start getting out there yourself. Adventurers may have been charitable or found you cute the first few times but until your business starts getting some serious coin coming in.. You're not gonna get anyone worth a damn to do your little fetch quests."

With a sad but understanding look in her eyes, Bella nodded as she looked to the bartender. "Yeah I'm aware Mina... I'm willing to leave town but it's always been Gee who nagged me not to. I usually trust her word because heavens know she's the reasonable one but... Yeah. Geevee I'm going to head out later! You wanna come with?"

"That information is none of your concern. My past is irrelevant to you, and will only merely distract you. Now, since we're here." Genevieve would watch as Bella opened the door for her, raising an eyebrow subtly before she'd hold it open herself so that Bella could then pass through. She slowly waited for Bella to then take her seat, noting the few eyes of other tavern patrons that had turned to the clumsy alchemist before she looked back at the person she had took care of. It pained her inside a little to understand that. She was trying so hard and wished to become a woman worth her salt but she always seemed to be so... she hated to say it, but incompetent was a decent description for the current time. She really did want Bella to grow out of such clumsiness, but such work was never to be instant. It was a slow and gradual development.

As she was in the middle of watching her trusted alchemist friend wait for company, it was the familiar voice of another that caught her attention; that of her older sister, Mina Hopewell. She turned almost immediately upon hearing the sound of the bar maiden, staring blankly. It was clear which of the two actually inherited some sort of emotion from their family, because Genevieve without a doubt lacked much to her face aside from her deadpan neutral expression.

"Sister. It's a pleasure to see you again." She merely responded as she remained in her seat, hands on her lap. "Rest assured, I am not here as a request to do another job. I'm instead here for the sake of Bella Gladstone here, as I'm accompanying her in a stroll. She also wished to visit you for reasons unbeknownst to me, however that is none of my business." Turning her head once more towards Bella, she merely nodded, her movements stiff and robotic in a way, but undoubtedly indicative of her nature as a maid. "As a result of her recent recovery from her illness, I've been seeing to her that she goes out and exercises, especially since she will need to network with several of the others around the town. She cannot just stay cooped up indoors like she was when she was sick. She will need to come into contact with new people, and I can not find a better place than this one."

She grew a little observant as she noticed Bella's disappointment. But Genevieve understood why that was the case. "Now, now. You know all too well why I don't wish for you to push yourself too hard. You are still recovering. And if you need me to assist you, you know all too well that you can simply ask me. As for the Adventurer's Guild, I would appreciate the idea of joining you there, but not for now. We have just entered, after all. Let us make ourselves decent in front of our patrons and order something, ok? I'm sure that my sister would not mind at all if we partake in an even business transaction with her."

Bella GladstoneBellaGladstone.jpgLocation:Guild's Tavern

Bella sat down into her seat and sighed wearily while looking downwards after ovehearing the whispers regarding her from the other patrons of the tavern and normally she would've become entirely downtrodden had it not been for Mina, ever the snarky and emotive of the two Hopewell sisters coming over before she forced a smile and looked up towards the saucy tavern maiden. "You know I can handle myself though. You mind getting me some of that mutton? It does smell pretty good today." Bella said with a bit more of a cheerful statement as she put her coins on the table. "I guess I'll get whatever Geevee wants. It's really fun watching her eat because she just does it in the most mechanical way possible. She's all proper lady like when she does too. I think cake might be the only thing that elicits any reaction out of here. Gee will just eat anything with the same expression she always does but I swear she actually smiles when she gets to eat cake."

Mina chuckled as she rolled her eyes and began to write on her notepad. "It's hard to believe we're related really. Sure we look like each other a fair bit but I'm a real smart ass of a woman who actually likes running something as chaotic and degenerate as this here tavern and Geevee... Well she's a maid but yeah you're right Bella. It's like the only thing I think she has a weakness for..." Mina then soon tapped a finger to her chin before she gave a cat like grin at the two women. "Which might actually solve both my problems today, the bakery's been short on their supplies lately and they need someone willing to go make a supply run. I know you got a wagon Bella, they're willing to pay and they'd probably hook you up with a cake for your troubles. Plus it would serve a means to an end for getting the whole networking thing down for a little shut in like you, make a good impression. I can go sign you two up on the board request right now before I make it public."

Bella soon giggled with glee as she looked over to Mina, her face having lit up immensely compared to her gloomy expression a moment ago and her smile was no longer forced but truly genuine. "Ooh! Ooh! Can we Geevee? This an easy one! Even I don't think I could mess it up and besides... free cake! That's like the one thing you indulge in right? It's a win win, maybe I'll be able to use it to buy new supplies and better equipment so we can take on better quests in the future too!" Bella was downright ectastic as she hummed and moved her shoulders back and forth in a sort of sitting down happy dance as her eyes seemed to bore into Genevieve's own cold gaze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back