• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Among Monsters

heysappho

Teifling Rogue
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
In a place where the monsters that go bump in the night are also the ones that buy groceries and drive around in the day, Not much is too out of the ordinary. Blackcoast is a small nestled city, that really prefers to stay out of all the paper's except it's own. The local pub is where the live music plays every weekend, and where during the day business lunches and everyday hangouts take place. The residences are known as quirky to anyone passing through, human or not. Monsters keep their identies to themselves, not hidden. Humans and monsters live under agreement as they have for millennia. Don't eat us, we don't make a big deal of the popularity of blood banks.

Welcome to Blackcoast; population 20,000. .

Blackcoast is mostly surrounded by woodland, but still connected to surrounding larger cities for access to colleges, large business, ectect. There's a small beach and a marina, home to some fishing boat slips, where a lot of the fresh seafood comes in for the resturants and citizens. The Carter Pub sits in the downtown, by some small businesses and parks.

((This will be a long one to get the ball rolling.))

Ashton hugged her Father goodbye, just before she headed down the stairwell to her work, the bar. An apron with a few pockets was being tied around her waist, just as her younger brother came careening through the door.

"Police are here, wanna see you and dad!" he said, obviously worried. He was a tad bit of a trouble maker, so no matter what he was sketchy around police.

"Alright, go tell dad and ill see him down there. Be quiet. We have customers."

She elbowed the door open and pushed through, grabbing a rag off of the rack and wiping the counter down. On the other side, was a pair of police men, a deputy and a cadet with their badges sparkling and on the counter.

"Water for the on the clock men?" she asked, already pouring them two mugs. It was common practice for them to have a beer or two even while on the job, but if they were here on business it was better to not do anything out of line.

"Ms. Aryes, you were working here late last night correct?" Said the eldest, as the younger trainee took notes.

"Yessir. I closed up around 3 or four am. You know how the Friday night crowd is."

"How busy was it last night?" The younger spoke up. He must've been briefed.

"Not too bad. Enough that I didn't get my damn break but nothing too exciting happened. May I ask what this is about?"

There wasn't any worth waiting for her father. She wanted to know what was going on, and what their bar had to do with it.

"There was a body found, a few miles away this morning. Had a bar receipt from here on there, says they checked at about 1am. Could be you or one of the others were the last to see them. We just wanna ask a few questions about what may have happened last night."

"Got a photo I can see?" Ashton asked. She must've checked at least fifty people last night A time isn't gonna get them anywhere.

A photo was slid face down across the counter, obvious that it was to be kept from prying eyes. Ashton lifted it up in a cupped hand, just taking a second to catch the features. The poor soul was missing their eyes. But the dyed hair was enough of a indicator of who it was.

"Left alone around when you said. Ordered a rare burger and a pint of Guinness. Had an accent, I remember her cause I tried to hit on her. She was waiting for her boyfriend who never showed." Ashton said. The girl was gorgeous, and its a damn same she went like that. The color had been drained from her face, almost to be as pale as the girl in the photo's. "Said her name was Elizabeth... It's a shame. She had amazing grey eyes."

"I'm sorry miss, but we had to ask. Thank you for the name and info, we'll get back to you if we need anything else." Said the deputy. "That's what everyone else said about her eyes too..."

With that they left a five dollar tip on the counter, probably more of an apology since the water is free. Through the door they went, just as Mr Aryes came down the stairs.

"Sorry I'm late honey, had to finish cleaning up the spilled milk. What's going on?"

"They found a body. It was the white haired girl from last night."

Pughilug entered the bar. He was still in his janitor uniform from work, and covered in dirt and mop water. "Scotch on the rocks." He said with a deep gravely voice while sitting down on a stool in front of the girl. He tossed his backpack onto the table and pulled out his textbook on the History of European Law, along with a notebook and pen. The book was large and looked like it would break it half just from lifting the cover. He flipped through the pages and began to write as he waited for his drink.

@ayezombie

"Coming right up." She said, taking a moment to glance at the book. Ashton jumped when the ice hit the bottom of the cup, the sound jsut etching her nerve. She must still be on edge.

She poured the man his drink and pushed it to the side on a cork circle, not wanting to let any water damage his books.

"Work, homework, sleep, repeat. I know that drill."

Pughilug carefully grabbed the drink as not to break the glass. He took a swig and smiled up at the girl. "You know your stuff. Barely have time to eat sometimes. Only reason I'm here is because this month I decided instead of paying my electricity bill, I got food for the month. The struggle is real." He raised his glass and took another drink before he looked back down at the book. "I noticed you said homework. I assume you attend school as well?" He looked up at her and squinted trying to decipher her age, "High school or college?"

Iva waited in front of Fuzzy the local pet store in Blackcoast. It's and easy and well paying job. The store didn't get too much attention, and that's how she liked it. Occasionally there were the few shoppers who came in to get a new cage for their rabbit, or a couple mice to feed their snake, if it was real busy a family or two would come in looking for a new family pet. They only got enough costumers to keep them in business, witch was good because she didn't like the attention. It's 20 minutes before opening, and she's been standing there since 10:50. She was usually earlier the Freddy, the owner of the store, but he was never this late, unless he was at the bar. She had to pick him up there a couple times since she was employed, he's a real fan of Gin and can't seem to get enough of it. Her best was that he was there, and it's not too far of a walk from the store.

She looked through the window of the store one last time before walking across the street and around the corner to the bar. She slowly pushed the door open, and her big ruby eyes wondered the bar looking to see if Mr. Freddy was there.

"In that case, that's on the house." She said, putting the five dollar tip she recieved from the cops before into the register.

"College. Took a year off, now I've just been taking biology and history for the credits. Not sure what I want to do yet. How about you Lawyer?" She commented. Since he came in here with a book on law, that would probably end up being his new nickname.

A girl walked in, so Ashton wiped off a seat for her

Pughilug chuckled as he flipped his page. "Well, you guessed it. I hope to be a lawyer someday. Ever since I graduated high school, I've been dedicated every day and night to it. A couple more years and I'll have my pre-law degree then I have to find a good law school to enter. I'm sure you'll figure it out one day. I sometimes regret knowing what I want to do. I lost out on the chase, the excitement of deciding on a major."

Lyric stood outside a bar, debating on whether on not to go in. She wasn't sure exactly if they would allow her in, she was underage afterall. However if she wasn't looking for drinks then maybe they would. Truly, all she needed was somewhere to sit for a hour or two and then she would move on, like she always did. She took a deep breath and reached for the doorhandle. Through the glass windows of the door she could see several figures seated at the bar. After several moments she pushed the doors open and steped into the bar. She slunk through the shadows and towards and empty seat in the corner and sat.

"Trust me, for an indecisive person it's much more nerve racking than exciting." She laughed, wiping down another side of the counter. Ashton sauntered down the way to the girl sitting in the corner and threw the rag over her shoulder.

"Can I getcha anything?" She asked, pouring a glass of water for the girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iva looked around the room but didn't see any sight of her curly, red headed boss. 'That's odd, maybe he had stopped by earlier and headed home?' she thought to herself . It wasn't until a costumer walked in behind her that she realized she had been standing by the door for quiet a while. She mumbled an apology and took a seat at the bar, she would ask the bartender if she had saw him earlier today.

Lyric raised an eyebrow at the bar tender, but quickly let it fall. "A coke please." She murmered, running hand through her tangled hair. She reached for the glass of water and took a small sip before returning her gaze to the bar's walls.

A quick grab of a glass and a shot from one of the nozzles under the counter filled Lyric up an order of a coke. "Lemme know if you need anything Hun." She said with a smile, trying to shake off her earlier encounter. Turning to the girl who had just sat down Ashton grabbed another glass.

"Thanks," Lyric muttered, she set the glass of water back on the countertop. She studied the bartender for a moment, she seemed shaken. Perhaps something had happened earlier. "Is everything ok?" She asked quietly, before leaniing back and taking a drink of her coke.

Pughilug smiled down at his book. This girl was incredibly nice. She was also breathtaking. He decided right then he might visit this bar a little more often. Now, supreme courts. Judges, pbbbt pbbbt blah blah blah He thought to himself. He looked at the bartender from the corner of his eye. An orc like me probably isn't her type, but I'd still like to talk to her some more.

"Just a long morning. Had some coppers come in and ask about last nights crowd." She shrugged, not wanting to put off any issues.

"Just an interesting encounter." She said with a smile, before she wiped out a few glasses. Steam still gathered on them from having just been washed by the boys in the back, but at this point her hands were calloused enough that the heat barely bothered her. She had people to serve.

((If you haven't seen yet, check the ooc tab > :) ))

"Really?" Lyric hummed softly and took another sip of her drink. She watched the bartender another few moments before something occurered to her. "I don't want to bother you, but I don't suppose you have any job openings?" Surly if the cops were involved it could mean that those involved in her own clan's murder could be in town. Even if they weren't she felt obliged to stay, if only long enough to see where the case went. She would need an income and a place to live and this seemed to be a good start.

"Actually, yeah. The reason I'm working the bar alone is cause my aunt left for school." She said, grabbing an apron from under the counter.

"I've been dying for someone to come in curious." Ashton knew her father wouldn't care about her hiring someone on. That task was usually left to her or her uncles anyways as her father ran the business and took care of his charges.

Lyric took one last drink of her coke before standing and reaching for the apron. "Awesome, how about I help out tonight and we figure out the details later." She let a small smile slip onto her face. She unfolded the apron and pulled it on over her clothes. She was excited to see where this town would go, until it was nessicary for her to move on. Hopefully she would have some time before they caught up to her.

"Sounds like a plan." Ashton listen up a wooden slap on hinges and let the girl to thenothernside.

"First comes first. I'm Ashton Aryes, local succubis who always puts a little magic into her drinks." She said with a wink. "Our job is to clean, serve, and kick anyone out who's acting like a mess."

Ashton held her hand out to shake.

"You'll fit in just fine."

Lyric let out a small laugh, "I'm Lyric Evans, a siren, and I'll do my best. I doubt I'll have much trouble with the men, they can't resist me" She said with a small wink. She shook the others girls hand and stepped behind the bar.

"Look at us, the sultry pair rocking our magic." Ashton laughed. Having two gals behind the bar that literally specialize in attraction? Oh yeah, this should get exciting.

One of her regulars came in, and Ashton immediantly grabbed a box from under the counter. Under the main counter where the customers sat, there was another extending one where she mixed drinks and added her "secret ingredient".

The man coming in now was old, and a mute. She had only ever learned enough sign language to say greetings, but the old worker would write to her on a note pad. He had to be one of the town's oldest residents.

In her box she pulled out a few small vials of herbs, and took a pinch of each into a grinding bowl. Some mint, ginger, and nutmeg tia quick Malsala. The man often had stomach aches because of his meds, nothing a little of her father's teachings couldn't help.

She ground up the powder and sprinkled it in a glass of water, and sat it in front of him.

"Hello"Ashton smiled.

He looked a little troubled, and just shot her a grin before taking out an old journal. He began to write, not seemingly for anyone. Just to record events.

Lyric yawned and picked up a cleaning rag. It wasn't her first bar job, but she wasn't sure of what exactly her job would be. Until a customer needed her attention she figured she could at least clean up abit and then see what she could do. She leaned forward and scrubbed lightly at the counter focusing on the small stains and sticky spots. Once finished with her area she picked up her old water and coke glasses and moved to clean them. Once it was finished she turn and observed the patrons with a small, satified smile. This would make for a nice passtime while it lasts.

Francesca was rolling slowly down the ramp leading to the library. Her shift had just ended and initially she had planned to go home but a co-worker told her to try out a bar not too far away. She was a little nervous to but it couldn't hurt. Apparently the people were friendly and the drinks were good. Though she doubted she would get anything too strong, she was such a lightweight when it came to drinks. Still she rolled her chair along the sidewalk, following the directions she had been given until eventually she spotted the bar. Okay... Lets try this out Franny. She thought as she rolled up to the door. After a bit of trouble getting it open she managed to roll in and looked around. She really was starting to wish she wasn't trying this alone for her first time.

"Gotcha covered." Ashton said, picking up one of the bar stools and moving it to another spot. This left an area open for the girl to come sit with the rest.

"What's your poison?" She asked, shooting her a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back