Tutorial American School System Explained

Sugarnaut

a nightmare to you specifically
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Introduction
Hi friends! So this is basically a breakdown of the American School System as an aid for anyone overseas who's going to encounter this rabbit hole in roleplays. My credentials are I'm American and raised by educators so this stuff was jammed down my throat at an early age. Note that these are my experiences in 2010's California school system all my life but I'll try to add as much nuanced differences as I can find/remember!

Totally use this guide if you plan on making a high school roleplay too!~

Table of Contents
Intro
General School Setup
Academic Year Breakdown
Full Education Timeline
High School Courses and Extracurriculars
Universities
Generic Terminology

Last edited:
Private School vs. Public School
This is extremely political so I'm just gonna be pretty frank about it all.

Private school are schools that do not get government funding and has a (higher) tuition fee. Attending private school can be affordable but you definitely need to pay to get in or get a scholarship of some kind. Most private schools have a specialty, whether it's art, science, or religion. Probably the best example is LaGuardia High School which focuses on the performing arts and has a lengthy list of notable alumni. Usually private schools have their own rules to it's the discretion of your gm on how school systems work. Private schools tend to follow the elementary/middle/high school structure with slight variations in the academic school year.

Public schools are just the opposite, they're government funded. These schools pull kids from the surrounding areas and are actually very strict about this. I had a lot of classmates whose parents lied for their child to attend a "better" school and trek the daily drives for the education.

Both schools are required to do some sort of standardized testing - public schools also get funded based on these test scores but this element is only really important if you're playing staff and faculty and want that element.

The Academic School Year: Trimesters or Semesters
Elementary, Middle, and High schools in the same district all run on the same system, probably due to ease for parents. After high school, the school year is completely based on the university system they are under and even then, every university is different as well.

Most elementary, middle, and high schools go by trimester system.
Many colleges and universities go by a semester or quarter system.

Being held back, moving up a grade, dropping out, graduating early.

Last edited:
Here's a breakdown of events that happens within the month, give or take:
August
Student Orientation, where students pick of their schedules and other essentials​
The new school year starts, usually middle to end of the month.​
Back to School Dance, informal attire​
Club Rush, where clubs promote themselves for new sign ups​
September
Spirit Week, usually the week of Homecoming.​
Homecoming, first dance of the year and usually later in the month or in October​
October
Halloween event​
November
Dia de los Muertos Celebration​
Thanksgiving Break, usually only a week long, on whatever week Thanksgiving is on.​
Thanksgiving, Always the Thursday of the 3rd Week of November.​
December
Winter Formal/Sadie Hawkins Dance​
Winter Break, usually three weeks between December and January​
January
Spring Club Day​
February
Valentines Grams​
Love Week​
March
Spring Spirit Week​
Spring Break, one whole week, usually between in March and April​
April
Culture Week,​
Prom, only Seniors and Juniors attend unless you are their date.​
May
Senior Grad Night, hosted by the school in celebration to graduating seniors​
Graduation​
June
Summer break begins.​
July
Freshman Orientation, this is a separate event for new students.​

Non-specific Events:
Senior Skip Day
All-School Assemblies
Prep Rallies

Last edited:

Ages 0-4: Daycare
I don't believe this is very different from other countries but some kids go to daycare and some don't.
I mostly have this as a section in case it's ever needed.

Ages 4-11: Elementary School
Each group between the line break have their own playgrounds or lunch break.
Kindergarten (Ages 5-6)

1st Grade (Ages 6-7)
2nd Grade (Ages 7-8)
3rd Grade (Ages 8-9)

4th Grade (Ages 9-10)
5th Grade (Ages 10-11)

Ages: 11-14: Middle School
Sometimes, middle schools and elementary schools are together. Sometimes, middle schools and high schools are together.
6th Grade (Ages 11-12)

7th Grade (Ages 12-13)
8th Grade (Ages 13-14)

Ages 14-18: High School
"Lowerclassmen"
9th Grade (Ages 14-15) also called Freshmen.
10th Grade (Ages 15-16) also called Sophomores.

"Upperclassmen"
11th Grade (Ages 16-17) also called Juniors.
12th Grade (Ages 17-18) also called Seniors.

Last edited:
High School Classes (Listed by advancements, if there's only 4 courses, those are geared for each grade)
Math
Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus​
English
World Literature, American Literature, Language Composition, British Literature​
Science
Geology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics​
History
Geography, World History, US History, US Government​
Electives
Will add to this later​

Honors and Advanced Placement courses
Any class above this can have an Honors version- it's just a little more demanding.

Advanced Placement, also known as AP, are classes you take that are even harder than Honors classes for a chance to get college credit. In May, these is a nationwide week where AP student takes these exams. You have to pay for these tests although there is a fee waiver if your family is under a specific tax bracket.

School Sports
FallWinterSpringYear Round
Cross Country Football Golf - Girls Tennis - Girls Volleyball - Girls Water Polo - BoysBasketball - Boys Basketball - Girls Soccer - Boys Soccer - Girls Surf Water Polo - Girls WrestlingBaseball Golf - Boys Lacrosse - Boys Lacrosse - Girls Softball Swim Tennis - Boys Track & Field Volleyball - BoysCheer

School Clubs
Most clubs meet during certain times of the week. Sometimes it's at lunch or after school. There is a teacher sponsor.

Anime Club
Asian American Association
Creative Writing Club
Debate Club
Drama Club
FFA
Film Club
French Club
Jazz Band
Journalism Club
NJROTC
Spanish Club
Yearbook Club

Last edited:
Some College
Text

University and Beyond
Text

Last edited:
General Terms You Might Come Across on your Travels
Adjunct Professor ‐
"Super Senior" - A student who is attending a 4-year school system and is still there after 4 years.
Tenure Professor -

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back