Other AMA - Ask me (Someone irrelevant on this website) literally anything!

Does intent matter?
These sorts of questions that deal with ethics and morals, AKA Human Sciences, don't really have concrete answers. It is all up to the person whose personality and beliefs are shaped by the environment they grew up in. In my opinion, intent matters from circumstance to circumstance. When you are dealing with a person in a 1 on 1 case, intent does matter. Whether it is what you are saying to your friend, what you are doing, etc. what you intend on doing is to be understood by both parties and is more important. But when it comes to a societal setting, dealing with many people, then intent does not matter at all. What you do/say matters. If you say the "N word" for instance, even if you do use it in the most analytical/least racist way possible, you still said the word and there are people who will rip your face off for doing so, despite your intentions. In an ideal world, intent should matter in society but unfortunately, it does not. Intent should not be the only thing that matters. Ultimately, the most important thing that decides how much anything matters is context. Context gives us background, it sets the stage and gives us variables which we can use to come to a logical/well informed conclusion. As logical as it can get with how illogical we are as a species. Context is everything and without it, I think that asking questions like "does intent matter" or "is it okay to commit murder" dont get us anywhere.

Ate minovsky particle beams light-like or not, in terms of a projectile weapon? In short, does a minvosky beam travel at the speed of light or not?

Ate minovsky particle beams light-like or not, in terms of a projectile weapon? In short, does a minvosky beam travel at the speed of light or not?
Minovsky particles have near zero mass. Keyword being "near". An entity with mass cannot travel at the speed of light.

Why are people so obsessed with the idea of antimatter being used as a power or propulsion source, when it's only realistic purposes is as a super powerful bomb that can omly be efficiently used in specific circumstances?

Why are people so obsessed with the idea of antimatter being used as a power or propulsion source, when it's only realistic purposes is as a super powerful bomb that can omly be efficiently used in specific circumstances?
Well its just used for fuel in Star Trek but if we are talking about our world then there is no "realistic" purpose for antimatter. In our entire history of tinkering with particle accelerators we've managed to create mere nanograms of antimatter. Millions and billions of dollars worth of research. Worth our time? Yes. Will it give us a new weapon/fuel source? Don't think so. We don't even know why there isn't any antimatter found in our observable galaxy as far as I am aware. Antimatter is great for understanding physics and how the universe works, not much for anything else.

But many science fiction stories use antimatter as general purpose weapons, fuel, and power sources. Why is your google jutsu weak?

But many science fiction stories use antimatter as general purpose weapons, fuel, and power sources. Why is your google jutsu weak?
Well its just used for fuel in Star Trek but if we are talking about our world then there is no "realistic" purpose for antimatter. In our entire history of tinkering with particle accelerators we've managed to create mere nanograms of antimatter. Millions and billions of dollars worth of research. Worth our time? Yes. Will it give us a new weapon/fuel source? Don't think so. We don't even know why there isn't any antimatter found in our observable galaxy as far as I am aware. Antimatter is great for understanding physics and how the universe works, not much for anything else.

That didnt answer my question!
Its fucking sci-fi. Antimatter sounds like an epic name for anything so people writing sci-fi films can just throw it everywhere. Star trek used it so now everyone's doing it. Also, Antimatter IS used in sci fi for weapons of mass destruction.

Nani wa sode sho desu wara nai jutsu ko hamarabe yamato nada weriko oppan kiritsugu kitsune onmyodo sushi yamete?

What's your advice on dealing with annoying attention seeking people?
There are 2 approaches.
Approach 1) Ignore them. They will eventually go away/find someone else they can suck attention off of.
My favourite approach is to just crush them while calling them out on it. You can infer a lot from the way people seek attention/interact with others/things they believe in which can lead you to exploitable insecurities they have. I don't do this as much anymore though.

Why do you, personally, use the internet?
1)Entertainment(Videos, films, tv shows, things to read, video games)
2)Study(PDFs and ebooks, instructional videos, accessing the material my professors put up online.)
those two categories are as general as it can get. im happy to delve into specifics

1)Entertainment(Videos, films, tv shows, things to read, video games)
2)Study(PDFs and ebooks, instructional videos, accessing the material my professors put up online.)
those two categories are as general as it can get. im happy to delve into specifics
Do you prefer to read on a screen or from a book?

Do you prefer to read on a screen or from a book?
Screen. I kinda find that I'm in the minority and I can understand why people need physical books to study but for me, I find that if you screw with a book, you can't quite undo it and that IMMEDIATELY degrades the worth/quality of the book. It also makes it hard to distribute. Like write notes on it, highlight things, etc. You can do things like these on PDFs without sacrificing anything. This way is also great if you want to share your notes with your friends.
I also prefer screens for recreational reading. I do most of my book reading(for fun) on my phone while on the bus or something. I always have my phone with me which makes it a lot easier to open it up rather than fumble around with a clunky book(especially difficult when you have to carry things).

I'm not gonna say that screens are the superior way but I get the feeling that, with how fast everything is getting digitalized, books are going to become obsolete in 10 or so years. I forsee some company designing a touchscreen tablet device that can easily be mass produced and sold at a ridiculously cheap price which would replace books at most schools. Imagine lugging 5 books with you for a day of school in addition to their respective copybooks, OR bringing along a single, small tablet instead of those books. Maybe the copybooks will be necessary as the students still gotta get used to writing.

This would be the beginning of the "end" for books. And by "end" I mean books will just be used as collector's items and we'll look at them, sort of how we look at old cd players or whatever.

Went on a bit of a tangent there. whatever imma just keep it in.

Screen. I kinda find that I'm in the minority and I can understand why people need physical books to study but for me, I find that if you screw with a book, you can't quite undo it and that IMMEDIATELY degrades the worth/quality of the book. It also makes it hard to distribute. Like write notes on it, highlight things, etc. You can do things like these on PDFs without sacrificing anything. This way is also great if you want to share your notes with your friends.
I also prefer screens for recreational reading. I do most of my book reading(for fun) on my phone while on the bus or something. I always have my phone with me which makes it a lot easier to open it up rather than fumble around with a clunky book(especially difficult when you have to carry things).

I'm not gonna say that screens are the superior way but I get the feeling that, with how fast everything is getting digitalized, books are going to become obsolete in 10 or so years. I forsee some company designing a touchscreen tablet device that can easily be mass produced and sold at a ridiculously cheap price which would replace books at most schools. Imagine lugging 5 books with you for a day of school in addition to their respective copybooks, OR bringing along a single, small tablet instead of those books. Maybe the copybooks will be necessary as the students still gotta get used to writing.

This would be the beginning of the "end" for books. And by "end" I mean books will just be used as collector's items and we'll look at them, sort of how we look at old cd players or whatever.

Went on a bit of a tangent there. whatever imma just keep it in.
You have a very clear vision of how society is moulding into technology and I completely understand where you're coming from. I believe the same and it's sad seeing others accepting it's going to happen, but then again, what can we do, ya know?

You have a very clear vision of how society is moulding into technology and I completely understand where you're coming from. I believe the same and it's sad seeing others accepting it's going to happen, but then again, what can we do, ya know?
I wouldn't call it sad. The less people have to deal with, the more time they can spend thinking. More people thinking=more ideas. Mode ideas=more progress. And from a purely progress based standpoint, this is good. Its best to just accept it at this point so that you can understand and evolve WITH society so that it doesn't leave you behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back