Chitchat Am I the only who's enjoying "social distancing" a.k.a. chilling at home? #justcoronathings

Aeryn

aspiring adventurer
For students and/or people working from home:

Am I the only who's been enjoying social distancing/isolation/self-quarantine?

My (delayed) school semester just started today and we're doing online classes. I've also been doing part-time intern work from home for the past two weeks. And I tutor from home as well. I know most people are hating having to stay home for a long period of time, but I personally enjoy it. Is that weird?

Maybe it's because I'm an introvert? But for me personally I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros:
  • Can sleep in because I don't have to get ready in the morning (put on make up, get dressed, etc.)
  • Don't have to waste time and energy (and money!) commuting to school/work
  • Don't have to see people I don't want to see
  • Can take Youtube/Netflix/Anime breaks whenever I want (okay this one's kinda dangerous)
  • Have more time to read and write
  • Have time to revisit old hobbies (drawing, making art, etc.)
Cons:
  • Less productive work-wise
  • Can't pay attention on Zoom
  • Lack of physical activity makes me feel like a slug sometimes (I used to play basketball weekly)
I do still see my friends once a week, so I guess it's not complete isolation (we meet up at a friend's house to play Switch lmao). But that's more than enough face-to-face interaction for me. I don't really feel lonely because the people I care about are just a text away. Also, the hoarding of groceries (and toilet paper lol) is not a problem at all where I'm at, even though we have one of the highest number of cases worldwide (outside of China). So perhaps that's also why I don't feel as stressed out? The thing that sucks most for me is just not being able to play basketball (or any other fun sports). But other than that, I honestly love chilling at home all the time.

Is it just me? Does anyone else feel the same way? Fellow introverts, perhaps?

Last edited:
Well, Some people can agree with this. Although Some are stuck in their homes until further notice, they still have to work, even my dad. He said that police and military might still be in job, maybe not (I wasn't listening properly). Lets just hope we can do something that doesn't involve going out and driving. And be sure st stay safe.

Well, Some people can agree with this. Although Some are stuck in their homes until further notice, they still have to work, even my dad. He said that police and military might still be in job, maybe not (I wasn't listening properly). Lets just hope we can do something that doesn't involve going out and driving. And be sure st stay safe.
Yeah, I meant to address people who are stuck working/learning from home. Most people seem to not like it, but I'm personally enjoying it.

But yeah, it does suck for people who can't do their jobs from home. Although I think it's safer in general for those people as well since a lot people are at home (there are less crowds, etc.). If you or your family have to leave the house, definitely be sure to stay safe as well!

Man, I wish I could self-isolate, lol. I’m an introvert too, but due to work I am almost never home. I wouldn’t mind staying home for a month since I’m a natural homebody, and I was looking forward to at least that bright side in all of this, but like so many others I can’t afford it ):

You’re so lucky to be able to make some income from home.

Man, I wish I could self-isolate, lol. I’m an introvert too, but due to work I am almost never home. I wouldn’t mind staying home for a month since I’m a natural homebody, and I was looking forward to at least that bright side in all of this, but like so many others I can’t afford it ):

You’re so lucky to be able to make some income from home.
Ahhh that really sucks :( Please stay safe, especially if you have to interact with a lot of people.

I am lucky to be able to work from home. Really grateful for that.

I think some companies/the government where I'm at are still paying people to just stay home and not come into work. A sort of paid leave kind of thing? Are they not doing that where you're at?

I too am greatly enjoying working from home five days a week. But I can tell that the extroverts are NOT OK. We have a daily call over skype with the dev team at work and the extroverts are complaining more and more that they feel highly uncomfortable. They're showing signs of desperation and some even spend entire days on skype talking to eachother. Must be a hard time for them.

Meanwhile:
  • I am not disturbed by said extroverts at work who come annoy me at my desk and distract me from tasks
  • I can play videogames during lunchbreak
  • I don't waste 2.5 hours a day commuting
  • It's nice outside so I can shoot my bow in my backyard after work ( I start at 6am now when I would usually leave the house and finish around 4pm :) )

Con:
  • I tend to lose all concept of time and I forget what day it is today.

I too am greatly enjoying working from home five days a week. But I can tell that the extroverts are NOT OK. We have a daily call over skype with the dev team at work and the extroverts are complaining more and more that they feel highly uncomfortable. They're showing signs of desperation and some even spend entire days on skype talking to eachother. Must be a hard time for them.

Meanwhile:
  • I am not disturbed by said extroverts at work who come annoy me at my desk and distract me from tasks
  • I can play videogames during lunchbreak
  • I don't waste 2.5 hours a day commuting
  • It's nice outside so I can shoot my bow in my backyard after work ( I start at 6am now when I would usually leave the house and finish around 4pm :) )

Con:
  • I tend to lose all concept of time and I forget what day it is today.
Yayyy, finally someone can relate xD

What video games do you play? I sometimes play League during lunch break lmao.

And that's so cool! I really wanna try archery. Planning to go to an archery cafe (yes we have that here, it's legit) once this corona shit goes away. I wish I had a backyard :( I practically live on my bed and I think I've gained 5kgs in the last 2 weeks.

Am I the only who's been enjoying social distancing/isolation/self-quarantine?
No different than the rest of the years of my life. I go to work I go home, everything is delivered that can be delivered, except food don't trust delivery freaks to that.

Yayyy, finally someone can relate xD

What video games do you play? I sometimes play League during lunch break lmao.

And that's so cool! I really wanna try archery. Planning to go to an archery cafe (yes we have that here, it's legit) once this corona shit goes away. I wish I had a backyard :( I practically live on my bed and I think I've gained 5kgs in the last 2 weeks.
Archery is a nice and very underrated sport. Of course you shouldn't drink too much while shooting a bow.

There's definitely some benefit to working from home, I've been lucky enough to do this on and off for various reasons the past year due to a change in job duties. I find that being away from the stressful office environment has made me MORE productive depending on the task and also allows me to be able to problem solve more effectively. The constant interruptions from co-workers and everyone else's phone conversations really adds up to a lot of distractions in the office.

I have been catching up on little projects around the house and random DIY vehicle maintenance during all this isolation stuff so it hasn't been all bad. Definitely don't like not being able to go to the gym but I've been replacing that with walks/hikes so it hasn't been a total loss.

Last edited:
Definitely, one has to plan some physical activity every day. I do half an hour of warmup exercices and then spend an hour or two shooting my bow, 100-200 arrows a day to train my back muscles. Very important if you have to sit behind a computer all day long.

one has to plan some physical activity every day.

I would have to say holing-up consuming the constant flow of negative news while binge watching Netflix and chugging coffee would be a recipe for a bad time during this pandemic lol. What I'm saying is absolutely get some exercise, no matter what it is, definitely agree there.
EDIT: In fact, I better put this dang coffee down and turn the news off! Lmao

The organization I work at is pretty small and the office is really quiet, so there weren't many distractions and I was able to work productively. Also I'm an intern who just got hired a month ago so I definitely felt the need to focus and work efficiently in the office with my supervisors around 😂 It's kinda hard to be as productive when no one's keeping me accountable like that at home. I end up working at a slower pace.

Walks, hikes, and archery sound so good 😫 I've been meaning to go biking with a couple of friends but it's been quite cold and windy lately... Should get a little warmer starting this weekend though so hopefully I can bike then!

The organization I work at is pretty small and the office is really quiet, so there weren't many distractions and I was able to work productively. Also I'm an intern who just got hired a month ago so I definitely felt the need to focus and work efficiently in the office with my supervisors around 😂 It's kinda hard to be as productive when no one's keeping me accountable like that at home. I end up working at a slower pace.

Walks, hikes, and archery sound so good 😫 I've been meaning to go biking with a couple of friends but it's been quite cold and windy lately... Should get a little warmer starting this weekend though so hopefully I can bike then!
I live in Michigan and the weather is a constant pain in the a$$. I go for a morning walk then by the time I get home from work and want to do stuff it's cold windy and raining, can't wait for some consistent nice days lol

Personally, while I miss the outdoors (I used to hang out a lot on the beach park), it's starting to dawn on me I needed this as I was really burnt out. I'd been working two jobs (one of them 60+ hours a week) in addition to helping at family's restaurant over the weekend till they can hire people.

Nope. Introversion is the story of my life too.
Yet, you can be productive, exercise, etc without leaving. Not doing so is just your decision.

The mere act of socializing online is productive in this instance more than ever, because everyone who would cringe at the lifestyle is now crying in their bedroom for the same reasons. It boosts morale, in a state of nothing and losing everything slowly yet painfully. Introverts were the first, and a number knows that quite well. Even if they ain't naturally made. Get rid of that, ya done boy. Though in this instance, the introvert is not greatly affected regardless.

Fellow introvert here. It's almost three weeks since our quarantine and as someone who's currently working from home...IT SUCKS.

For the things I appreciate, I like not having to fake being busy for 8 hours if I finish all my quota early. No need to keep glancing over my shoulder and I can actually play music while I work. I also like not having to be social with the team as much. I like my teammates and I'm functional enough to overcome the usual introvert's problems of conducting themselves in public. But I am a very private individual and water-cooler talk often start drifting into personal topics. Not too concerned with productivity either. (Seriously. I wish corporate would retire that word and never use it again) Lastly, no need to commute in hellish Philippine traffic.

But! I get no all-day AC at home which is hell in a tropical country. I can turn mine on but that would jack up my electricity bill. My Internet is very slow so I get everything done in the morning and come the afternoon, everything slows to a crawl. Feedback and follow-ups can be tricky as well.

Lastly, I technically still live with my family (I pay the rent and water and some groceries) and they're also stuck at home. So we're like, four people, three with remote work and one with online classes, all sharing the same shitty WiFi connection with only one desktop (albeit a really great desktop) to handle all of it. Fortunately, online classes are currently suspended while my parents do not get that much work so I can usually hog the PC to myself. But when they need to check in or accomplish something then I usually have to step aside.

My dad also likes to keep the news blasting 24/7 either on radio or on TV which sucks. I get having to stay updated on the recent progress on the quarantine and the virus. However, obsessing over every detail regarding this situation does not help anyone's mental health. He literally blows up whenever he sees something he doesn't like on the news. He's at the point where he's picking fights with strangers on social media when he enters discussions on the government's actions. Ironically, I do not get moments of silence at home compared to the office.

I think I might appreciate a work-from-home arrangement more if I have my own place with my own gear. Right now, I have neither of those things so working from home is a lot more trouble than it's worth. Maybe not even that. The good thing about working in an office for me is that I have clear boundaries on work and rest. Office=work, house=rest. I have never been asked to bring home work when I clock out (though I had done unpaid overtime in order to meet deadlines).

I'm sure this arrangement helps a lot of people and hopefully, more organizations consider it in the future. As for me, I think I'll just keep coming to the office for work.

I'm loving it. I'm not really an introvert. I mean, I socialize with people online. If anything, I'm a homebody but I'm quite social.

The whole "isolation" bit is getting to me just a little. It's not so much the fact that I have to stay home. I mean, I do that all the time, anyway. But it's more so to do with the fact that I'm finding myself all caught up on shows and with very little interest in wanting to start new ones. So I guess I'm more bored than anything. I don't work, so it's definitely weird for me. 😂

Alright. I need to get this off my chest...

This whole thing, for me, has felt EXACTLY like (I kid you not):

-I found a genie.
-Rubbed their lamp.
-Released said Genie.

And made a wish.

"I wish I could have some time off of work! I'm so tired of the teacher being a bitter old bat waiting retirement in 4 years and yelling at me because she's miserable! I just want some mental health time away from her AND give me some time to work on some art!"

Genie: LOL OK. 😂

I wanted (I dare say NEEDED) some 'me' time where I wasn't treated like a janitor made out of garbage and, uh...

Then THIS ALL HAPPENED...

And...

Yeah...

The lesson I take from this is: DON'T MAKE WISHES! DOOOOOON'T MAKE WISHES!!! 😱😰

(also wash your hands and definitely stay safe and practice social distancing because seriously you don't know what or who will get you sick!!)

P.S: I also DO like the spare time I have to draw even if my wallet is suffering a little for it with a lack of paycheck... 😅

My mom has to stay at home because of her job. She's using an old desktop computer for her work since she can't handle sitting on the couch during her work hours. She's ready to get out of the house even if it's just to go grocery shopping after a few days.

Personally, I still get to go out because I work at a grocery store. I haven't gotten shut it which in a way, I'm glad about since I am moving pretty soon.

I just want this to be all over and done with, which I'm sure everyone else does too.

While I'm an introvert, I still like people while I'm not completely drained, so it's a little sad to me. However, I can't be completely upset because as many here have said, I can do what I want when I want to. So for the most part, I'm enjoying it like most other introverts.

I thought I would enjoy the extra time, but honestly not being able to go to school, work, or hang out with friends other than on Discord has gotten to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back