World Building Alternate 20th Century Worldbuilding for Upcoming Idea

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club
Hey there! So I got Iron Harvest not long ago and have been thinking about trying an RP in a similar world (especially the Diesel-punk mechs and combat suits)

That said, I don't know where to start. I don't want to do 1920+ itself, and I don't want to really bring in Cthulhu or other stuff like I've seen Dust can have. History also isn't my strong suit. So I was looking for some help and advice building before I try an interest check.

I know for sure I want to try keeping it in an earlier point in history, but perhaps a bit more socially progressive. I want mechs and combat suits, as well as standard infantry and maybe some calvary. I don't necessarily want elder gods or similar.

Questions and ideas will help me figure it out more, so I'd love some discussion! Thank you for reading this and I hope to find some help. :)

(I think I'm in the correct forum. If not I apologise.)

1920s were very socially progressive. If you want social progress then you can't get better than 20s-early 30s before fascism hits and screws it all up.

1920s were very socially progressive. If you want social progress then you can't get better than 20s-early 30s before fascism hits and screws it all up.
Can you elaborate a little? I think I understand but I want to make sure I do.

Well I don't have much beyond just the sort of ww2 tech in space sort of thing. Found some art that seemed interesting with View attachment 783408
So what you're meaning is some sort of diesel-punk space expedition or something? Feels... I don't know. Interesting but off.

Can you elaborate a little? I think I understand but I want to make sure I do.

So what you're meaning is some sort of diesel-punk space expedition or something? Feels... I don't know. Interesting but off.
It's what you assume to be, at least in the united states women had just been given the right to vote and people were able to be open about their sexuality etc. And I wasn't implying anything about an expedition, was just throwing around an idea since you asked for them.

Diesel-punk transformers? I don't really know what that would entail, but I'm picturing cars that look a lot like steam trains that turn into robots.

Diesel-punk transformers? I don't really know what that would entail, but I'm picturing cars that look a lot like steam trains that turn into robots.
Sorry, not what I want.

Debating upping the tech somewhat though. Military up to WW2 perhaps, and then add in some extra social technology. As for the plot, just a frontline squad sounds reasonable

Sorry, not what I want.

Debating upping the tech somewhat though. Military up to WW2 perhaps, and then add in some extra social technology. As for the plot, just a frontline squad sounds reasonable
I mean Iron Harvest already has a lot of stuff not present or possible with today's technology so I think it's just up to you if you want to bother changing the year or just expanding what's available.

I mean Iron Harvest already has a lot of stuff not present or possible with today's technology so I think it's just up to you if you want to bother changing the year or just expanding what's available.
That's fair.

So thinking Iron Harvest inspired-tech, more open-field combat like WW2, a touch greater of military and social tech.. I think I know what to do now...

Prolly gonna be a 'fictional' war, or something

marc122 marc122 and I have discussed his OC Zoey and the alternate 20th-century history he came up with that affects her backstory multiple times now. One take away I've gotten from those conversations (and other life experiences) and think you should keep in mind about this stuff (especially if you're bumping the time-frame up to resemble something like WW2), is that conflict absolutely can fuel technological development. Seriously, look into the history of video games. Quite a bit of the stuff that eventually grew into the things we're familiar with has roots in various war-time inventions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back