Other All the Musicals

moss

somewhere it's raining
Fellow musical-lovers, inquiring minds (just me really) want to know:

1. What is your favorite musical? Live, filmed, crowd-sourced Tik Tok production—all fair game.
2. What is your favorite musical number to belt? By yourself in private, with your friends, at unsuspecting passersby...
3. What musical do you most want to see? Or most want to see adapted?

By way of introduction, I go by Moss. I'm a new member, long-time lurker, and aspirational roleplayer. Also (and more relevantly):
1. Favorite show was an intimate production of In the Heights.
2. Favorite song to belt is "Guns and Ships" from Hamilton. I just can't not.
3. Would love to see Anastasia. Would love to see Nightmare Before Christmas adapted.

What about that Bridgerton musical, eh?

1. my favorite musical of all time is definitely natasha, pierre, and the great comet of 1812. it's just soooooo gorgeous and i find so much comfort in relistening to it
2. an even mix of, "carnaval del barrio" from in the heights (i just Have to yell when they sing "alza la bandera, la bandera cubana!" cuban pride ftw), the prologue of the great comet of 1812 cause its such a fun introduction, and "the room where it happens" from hamilton
3. i would die a thousand deaths to be able to see the great comet of 1812 in person. personally i think the movie thoroughbreds could be an awesome musical, and maybe scott pilgrim vs the world for that fun funky punk/garage music mixed w video game stylishness.

low fidelity low fidelity Hi, welcome! I'd love to see The Great Comet as well. The Tony's performance was so entertaining, I expect the show would be amazing. Scott Pilgrim is a wild idea for a musical! It gives me Be More Chill vibes. That could be super fun.

I was really looking forward to Moulin Rouge, pre-pandemic. I'm not sure how far it got before Broadway had to shut down, but that's one I'm keeping my eye on as well.

Ok, so musicals I’ve seen theater productions of include “Be More Chill”, “The Count of Monte Christo” (German version), “Legally Blonde”, “Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, “The Book of Mormon”, “The Sound of Music” (watched this one when I was very very young though), “Death Note” (musical version, I think I watched the Japanese one) and “Dear Evan Hansen” and I think there was one more. Also seen a number of movie musicals like “Les Miserables”, “The Muppets Christmas Carol” and that one Sweeney Todd movie (among others).

I absolutely love musicals. I think song is such an emotionally resonating way of communicating, and so much can be packed into it that it can work as a transition for pretty much anything. Furthermore, some songs are so cleverly written or framed, it’s mind blowing.

It’s very hard for me to pick favorites here (especially as I don’t entirely remember every musical) but gun to my head “Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde” is probably my favorite. I really feel it presents sides of the story not well fleshed out even in the original book and it’s songs are both very emotionally resonating and thematically smart. The other two up-and-runners for me, “Book of Mormon” and “The Count of Monte Christo” each have a few things that leave me wanting. The first is extremely funny, but the songs didn’t particular stick with me. The second, on top of me missing out on a lot of certainly interesting stuff due to being unable to find a version in a language I speak, also had a pretty rushed finale much like most adaptations of the novel).

As for my favorites songs I think those would either be “Every Day a Little Death” or “This Man is Dead” from Count of Monte Cristo or “Where is the Justice” from the Death Note musical.

Edit: Forgot to add my reasons for not picking Count of Monte Cristo as my favorite. So...there they are now.

Last edited:
Idea Idea Hello! I know, picking a favorite musical is tough. There's almost always something great in every show, even if it's not the music. I'm not familiar with Jekyll and Hyde, but it sounds cool. I absolutely agree, using music and song is such an effective method of storytelling. And they're memorable!

I'm not familiar with Jekyll and Hyde, but it sounds cool.

Are you familiar with the story of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde or should I give you the premise?

I absolutely agree, using music and song is such an effective method of storytelling. And they're memorable!

Indeed, well, most of the time. Like I said perhaps one of my biggest gripes with the Book of Mormon is that I can barely remember any of the songs. I think tragedies probably have an advantage in terms of musicals as it’s simpler to make a deep emotional song in a tragic tone than a comedic one.

Favorite musical: Phantom of the Opera. I have the 25th Anniversary edition on DVD and the original Broadway cast CD. Plus, I have the poster. I get a kick out of the Overture scene in the Joel Schumacher version where everything becomes colorized.

Song: Phantom of the Opera. I've got the one from the CD and two others, one of which is the Nightwish version, in my playlist. I will admit that every time I hear Memory, I tear up. Same thing when I hear Angela Lansbury sing Beauty and the Beast.

Adaptation: They've made musicals out of practically anything. I would love a musical based on Star Trek TOS and a real musical based on Planet of the Apes. Although the subject matter might be too dark for a musical, it'd be interesting to see if someone could make a musical out of Nightmare on Elm Street.

Idea Idea I'm familiar with the story, just not the musical, but thanks for offering to explain. Interesting thought on the memorability of songs in tragedies. I agree that they may have greater emotional impact, but I'd also say upbeat, boppy songs in less dramatic shows are just as memorable.

Pokeking Pokeking Welcome to the thread! I'm a fan of Phantom too. It's one of my favorite musicals to play on the piano. The dun dun dun dun dun intro to "Phantom of the Opera" is such good hype music. Gave me such a thrill when I saw it live. Have you ever seen Love Never Dies? Wow, a Nightmare on Elm Street musical sounds fascinating. I'd love to see someone pull off horror as a musical. Is it even possible to incorporate that brand of horror in a musical?

I agree that they may have greater emotional impact, but I'd also say upbeat, boppy songs in less dramatic shows are just as memorable.

Can be? Absolutely. Are? I think that's more debatable. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but the impression I get is that in 100 songs that are remembered maybe 10% are simply upbeat or comical, and you can bump that to 15-20% if there's some underlying tone of tragic irony or the sort to that song. Part of it I imagine is just due to the nature of comedy, as all comedy is based on some form of tragedy, but I also feel that in matters of plot relevance of a character experience that truly sticks to the audience a low is just a lot easier to make successful than a high.

Phantom was the first musical I ever saw. I've heard of Love Never Dies, but I don't have any interest. I've read the original novel by Gaston Leroux and it'd be nice if someone made a film version that is more based on the novel than previous versions.

Interesting thing about Nightmare, is that Robert Englund who played Freddy was in a non musical version of Phantom that was more horror oriented.

Idea Idea Valid perspective. It seems to me you remember the more dramatic and tragic songs best. I should clarify that I am only speaking for myself when I say boppy, upbeat songs are just as memorable. To me, they are, no question. But to others, I absolutely believe that may not be the case. For me, I remember the more musical songs best, the ones with a lovely melody or catchy rhythm regardless of the tone or content of the song. Context makes it meaningful, but (again, for me) that doesn't make it memorable. It's so interesting to see what aspects of musical numbers we each gravitate toward.

Anyone else interested in chiming in? What are the most memorable musical songs, in your opinion? Additionally, does watching the live performance affect how well you remember the songs?

Pokeking Pokeking Oh gosh, I completely understand. I saw Love Never Dies (got free tickets so figured why not?) and wow. I walked away thinking it was as if Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote sequel fanfiction to Phantom. I'm sure there are folks who really enjoy it. The Coney Island costumes/set pieces were cool, but it was not for me!

Cool! I love fun facts. And I can totally imagine a horror play of Phantom. A horror musical though... still puzzling over that one.

Les Miserables is great but it makes me cry. I like wicked and Jesus Christ Superstar. The King & I as well as Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The original cats was good. I'm not sure how I feel about the new one. Phantom of the opera is a classic. I'm a huge fan of musicals. hope to see one on Broadway someday.

LuvDragon LuvDragon Hi! Les Mis makes me cry too. So so much. Are you a fan of any newer musicals? Just curious, nothing wrong with the slightly older ones!

Basic bitch COMING THROUGH! I love Hamilton, like a lot, listened to it for like 2 years daily and memorized it! XD My favorite song to belt is Non-Stop and Satisfied (many others too, but these two were my go to had to memorize first!) As for other stuff I haven't much enjoyed many other musicals, Heathers was fun enough but I only care for 2 songs . . . Hamilton just sorta slaps musically, like I really am into it, so if I had to say I wouldn't say anything in particular to adapt but many more musicals with songs like Hamilton! XD

Edit: Oh man I haven't seen Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat since I was a child!!!! XD

AnnJam AnnJam What up! Hamilton is awesome. Right there with you. I love that it mixes music genres you don't often hear in Broadway with a majority Black/POC cast you don't often see on Broadway to tell the story of a bunch of old white dudes. (I don't think there has been Native representation in the cast yet. I can imagine this is a story some Native folx wouldn't want to have a part in telling though.) If you haven't given Lin-Manuel Miranda's first musical (In the Heights) a listen, I'd highly recommend it. Lot of heart in that one.

It’s very hard for me to pick favorites here (especially as I don’t entirely remember every musical) but gun to my head “Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde” is probably my favorite.

ooo. someone who also loves Jekyll and Hyde~

My other favorite is Beauty and the Beast. It was the first high school production I was in and what made me fall in love with theatre. Oh and Little Shop of Horrors is also fantastic.

I will belt Bring on the Men from Jekyll and Hyde

When Broadway opens up again, I'm definitely going to see Hadestown

nohbdy nohbdy Welcome! Wow, I wish my high school did Beauty and the Beast. What was your role? I like Little Shop too. The MJ Rodriguez and George Salazar performance of "Suddenly Seymour" is so good! (I did not see them live, just the video on YouTube.) Oh, Hadestown is on my list as well. "Wedding Song" is my favorite from that soundtrack so far. Do you have a favorite?

Heyo I’m sil

my favourite musical is probably Hamilton its made me more interesting in history and has left the greatest impact on me so I’m proud to be a basic bitch

ive not actually watched the musical yet but there’s a song called confrontation in Jekyll and Hyde found it from tik tok and I love belting Hyde’s bit in the shower lol

i definitely would love to see Hamilton in person or Jekyll and hyde cause I love the insanity in that

1. My favorite musical (at the moment) is Beetlejuice.
2. My favorite musical number is Say My Name or That Beautiful Sound (both of which come from Beetlejuice the musical)
3. I would love to see Beetlejuice, Six, Rent, or Hamilton in person

1. Oh I could list my favorite musicals for hours, but I'd say my top favorites are Beetlejuice, Hamilton, Rent, Mean Girls, Six, Wicked, Waitress, and Heathers.(though I haven't seen most of those) Also Spamalot lol
2. Favorite song to sing? Like That Mystic Writer That Mystic Writer said Say My Name and That Beautiful Sound are both high up on my list, maybe next to She Used to Be Mine from Waitress, and Helpless from Hamilton.
3. I would love to see any of the previously mentioned musicals, also though I've never listened to the soundtrack of Le Mis I've heard people talk about it and would love to see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back