• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Agents Temporalis VRMMORPG Signups and OOC

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club

Premise
Agents Temporalis: A genre-bending, full-dive VMMORPG where the players are part of a special group of soldier. The Agents Temporalis, a taskforce created to protect the timeline from the time-travelling Temporals, an alien race hoping to colonize Aurastia for themselves. The Temporals travel into the past to change history to weaken the Aurans in the war that is happening in the current time. And so the agents complete quests (in standard MMO fashion) that protect and put history right to keep the balance as it is.

The Players will be a small group of friends who play the game together, knowing each other in RL. Even though it is an MMO, each player or group has their own instance of each would, with the Nexus being the place to meet, group, and trade.

Times

Bronze Age (Ancient Rome )
Feudal Age (Medieval Europe)
Powder Age (Colonial America)
Steam Age (Industrial Revolution)
Network Age (Modern Times)
Cyber Age (Cyberpunk [Matrix/Robocop Tech])
Ascension Age (Medium-tech Sci Fi)
Nexus (High-tech Sci Fi)

Combat/Mechanics
During all direct combat scenarios and actions against the enemy will have overall structure from me but the details will be up to the players (i.e. I'll write something like "you can kill three guys, or two and strike at the mini boss" or the such, and allow the player to improvise how he kills them). If players would like to take some sort of direct action not offered, simply run it by me in I'll give you the possible results of that action.

All enemies you must post strikes, bolded attack attempts for, rather than outright killing them unless stated otherwise. Your characters can also take wounds. Wounds will be emoted by me in combat posts, and will be bolded like strikes.

Gambits
are high-risk, high-reward maneuvers that can turn the tide of battle if successful, or seriously hinder you is they don't work.

The players accept quests from the nexus to gain rewards and experience, as well as advance the story. Or, once level five is reached, the party can go into a specific time and area to do dungeon, grind for loot, etc. The party would be allowed 3 deaths a mission/hunting trip before being kicked out and penalized with the fourth.

Loot is in the form of crafting materials, which every character gets one copy when it is picked up, except for rare loot which will be distributed by the players. Weapon and armor upgrades will be crafted between missions and/or game sessions, made from loot and handled OOC.

Equipment/Classes
Most types of weapons, including swords, axes, bows, guns, polearms, etc.
Armors From fastest to Strongest: Speed Armor, Flight Armor, Fight Armor, Tank Armor

The look of the equipment will be chosen by the player {For swords: [Feudal Style (European Longsword)" "Feudal Style (Asian Katana)" "Sci-Fi Style (Plasma Blade)" Etc.]} in order to personalize the character, the skin being the same no matter what time they go into. The weapon and armor stats would be influenced by which materials are used to create it.

Each player will have two 2 weapon sets and a secondary. However, you will be locked to 1 set for the first ten levels.

Each set has 2 hands. So for a ranged class with 2 sets, you can take a rapid-fire weapon and a precise weapon, or a close-ranged gun and dual pistols, or dual pistols and a explosive weapon, or a pistol and armshield, and a rapid fire weapon...

Also, depending on the subclass you choose (unlocked at level 10) you will begin to gain skills and such that will make certain types of weapons better choices.

Frontline (Causes most damage) [Fight Armor]
Tank (Can take most damage) [Tank Armor]
Ranged (Causes most precisely damage & best crit. hitter) [Flight Armor]
Supporter (Healing & Buffs) [Speed Armor]

And each class will branch in 2 talent trees.

Frontline into full-attack DPS (dual-wield or two-handed) or Cavalry (gets a battle-mount)
Tank into Mobile Fortress (1H weapon + Tower Shield; or Tower Shield two-handed) or Balanced (1H weapon + Shield)
Ranged into Gunner (Bow & Arrow, automatic weapons, etc.) or Destroyer (Crossbow, Missiles, Sniper Rifles, etc.)
Supporter into Bio-Engineer (heals ppl, also has poison stuff and stim-packs) or Robotics (set up automated turrets, other traps and use other technologies such as mobile stealth fields, shield generators, etc.)

How Leveling works-

When you Level (Generated purely by narrative) You gain 1 point. For the first 10 levels you only have the base class tree, unlocking the sub-class trees at Level 10.

You can spend your single point on any of the talents (Active Skills) or traits (Passive Bonuses) that I come up with. The trees will evolve based on your actions and skills, So, in theory, two characters will not get the same trees, even though they are both Ranged classes.

Also, the more you spend on a tree, the better the choices will be for that tree.

Skills will be given per character, at a choice of three picks per level, given in OOC. Cool downs and effects will be handled by me.

About Damage to bodies IRL and IG:

IG body Damage: The virtual body feels it, but no damage or pain gets transferred IRL
IG Severed limbs and such: What happens is the divegear locks down any waves going to that arm, and doesn't transfer them. Therefore, no moving a non-existent arm
IRL body Damage: The game comes up with a warning stating that your body is compromised, and gives you an emergency logout option, saving what loot you got from the mission and getting you out quick

Despite all the rules, this is not a serious RP. It is somewhat comedic, for fun, with ability to meta in the game, and plan stuff for the game in the RL scenes.

OOC Rules:
  1. Follow RPN rules
  2. Above all else, respect each other
  3. Please refrain from discussing Politics and Religion and other similar 'hot topics'. I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, but the arguments it can cause are something I dislike.
  4. GM has final say, but please feel free to ask questions or point out mistakes I may have made.
  5. Have fun!

Last edited:
MythyDW MythyDW
in regards to the character's age for their game avatar, what exactly do you mean by age? In game character's age or the literal age of the avatar (like when it was created)? Can you just say general terms like "child age" or "early twenties" for the in game character's age?

Just going to ask for a few clarifications before I finish and send in my CS. ='D

Even though it is an MMO, each player or group has their own instance of each would, with the Nexus being the place to meet, group, and trade.
By this, do you mean that every one must start out in an era separate from another character, or are multiple (of our characters) allowed to be in the Cyber Era and so on? Also, is the final part of that sentence supposed to indicate that the Nexus is the one "era" that we aren't allowed to really call "home base" since it's a general area for meet ups and trade?

In the CS, you mention that you wish for us to describe our character's equipment, weapon, secondary weapon, etc. Do we just make up random names for these (e.g. Trainee's Rusty Spear), or is simply showing or describing what it looks like and what kind of weapon it is sufficient?

Finally, in terms of IGNs, does Agents Temporalis have any particular character limits? For example are hyphens allowed? Spaces? Special characters?

MythyDW MythyDW
in regards to the character's age for their game avatar, what exactly do you mean by age? In game character's age or the literal age of the avatar (like when it was created)? Can you just say general terms like "child age" or "early twenties" for the in game character's age?
You can give a general age, yes. I would recommend though keeping to young adult/adult age. Or perhaps older, child age strikes me as iffy ;)

By this, do you mean that every one must start out in an era separate from another character, or are multiple (of our characters) allowed to be in the Cyber Era and so on? Also, is the final part of that sentence supposed to indicate that the Nexus is the one "era" that we aren't allowed to really call "home base" since it's a general area for meet ups and trade?
The Nexus is the 'present' era where crafting, shopping, trade and other player things are - including portals to player/group bases and the quest portal. All Characters start at the Nexus as they are present day warriors. The eras are instanced which means that each player or group gets it all to themselves without needing to worry about other players. Like a game I once played names "Vindictus".

In the CS, you mention that you wish for us to describe our character's equipment, weapon, secondary weapon, etc. Do we just make up random names for these (e.g. Trainee's Rusty Spear), or is simply showing or describing what it looks like and what kind of weapon it is sufficient?

If you want you can give them names like that. Which may not actually be a bad idea. However, the loot system is more where you get materials and such rather than items yourselves, where then you craft and make better your items. So you only really need to show/describe the looks and what kind they are as the visuals can stay the same.

And loot, for example.. common materials everyone gets a copy from the fight, more rare materials need to be distributed by the team.

Unless! You all would prefer to get actual gear as loot. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Also did that make sense?

Finally, in terms of IGNs, does Agents Temporalis have any particular character limits? For example are hyphens allowed? Spaces? Special characters?
Spaces are allowed for sure. Generally my thought is to name the characters like actual people. Keep the username type stuff to the usernames (I normally do that in MMOs so I may be biased.

Does that all make sense and help?

The Nexus is the 'present' era where crafting, shopping, trade and other player things are - including portals to player/group bases and the quest portal. All Characters start at the Nexus as they are present day warriors. The eras are instanced which means that each player or group gets it all to themselves without needing to worry about other players. Like a game I once played names "Vindictus".
Is this in reference to how the "main character" travels back into the past in Season 2? @x@;;

If you want you can give them names like that. Which may not actually be a bad idea. However, the loot system is more where you get materials and such rather than items yourselves, where then you craft and make better your items. So you only really need to show/describe the looks and what kind they are as the visuals can stay the same.

And loot, for example.. common materials everyone gets a copy from the fight, more rare materials need to be distributed by the team.

Unless! You all would prefer to get actual gear as loot. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Also did that make sense?
I think I'd be fine with the typical system in games where you can get equipment/weapons both as drops and via crafting, but the ones available by crafting are superior? Also, I was only putting that name there as an example, since I wasn't feeling very creative. It doesn't necessarily reflect the "style" of the names I had in mind, so sorry about not clarifying that. ^ ^;;
Okie dokie tho!

Spaces are allowed for sure. Generally my thought is to name the characters like actual people. Keep the username type stuff to the usernames (I normally do that in MMOs so I may be biased.

Does that all make sense and help?
Ahhhh, alright tyty. Also I generally do the same (unless the name is for the purpose of a meme), so I understand. >w>b

Is this in reference to how the "main character" travels back into the past in Season 2? @x@;;
I have no clue, never played that far XD

I just mean that groups can play the whole game together without needing to wait for bosses or mobs to spawn. Also allows a more open and narrative experience.

It's a very high-tech VMMORPG :3

I think I'd be fine with the typical system in games where you can get equipment/weapons both as drops and via crafting, but the ones available by crafting are superior?
If that's the consensus we can do that, though everyone can craft their gear, but only what is possible for them to use.

Currently slugging along with my CS and kms over rendering pictures but I'm working! But I do have another question. I don't really understand what you mean by the sets and secondary weapons? Could you elaborate on the concept a little more?

Well the second weapon set is meant to allow Characters the ability to have basically two fighting styles. Let's say you have a ranged who wields a sniper from level 1-10, when you level up maybe you take a pair of pistol or a pistol and a small buckler-esque shield for more close combat, away from the main combat style you were probably developing with the traits and talents before.

In the same vein the secondary weapon is an attempt to give that same ranged character a melee weapon, albeit generally weaker. At the same time it gives a tank, frontline, or support that uses melee weapons a weaker ranged option for when getting into the fray is impossible or impractical.

Does that help a little? I'm just about to bed down so I hope it makes sense.

Hope you don't mind all these clarifications and questions! We're trying to make the best characters possible. o/

So by second weapon hand + secondary weapon set, is it like GW2's mechanic? When I read the entire "until level 10" thing that was the first thing that came to mind.

I'm afraid I didn't understand your explanation of the instances and stuff so I'd like some further clarification if I understood it correctly. A simple yes/no to each section would suffice. ; w ; If the answer is no, could you kindly expand on the subject?

1. Nexus is the 'present' era and where everyone technically comes from.
2. Each 'era'/'time' is like a new map, having materials specific to it.
3. It's possible to mix and match equipment from various 'times', since each 'era' is simply a large dungeon and not a real starting point.
4. Whenever a new 'group' enters an 'era', they create a new instance which means they won't meet other players or fight over world events.

And finally, what would be the more primitive version (ala Bronze to powder) of the support role, since the examples given are fairly high-tech? c:

Another question came to mind. Is there PvP, and if so, is there a certain pay2win aspect to it? lowkey has a character concept related to it

Last edited:
So by second weapon hand + secondary weapon set, is it like GW2's mechanic? When I read the entire "until level 10" thing that was the first thing that came to mind
Well the secondary weapon you will always have. And sadly I am not too familiar with GW2 but if what I am thinking you mean is what you mean, then yes ><

1. Nexus is the 'present' era and where everyone technically comes from.
Yes. It is also like the main city where auction house, merchants, stuff like that are.

2. Each 'era'/'time' is like a new map, having materials specific to it.
Yes. Also I feel I should say that the Temporals have many different forms and can disguise themselves as NPCs only to attack you later on in the quest. There are also era-specific enemies and Temporals.

3. It's possible to mix and match equipment from various 'times', since each 'era' is simply a large dungeon and not a real starting point.
Yes and no. Generally the gear will change to fit the main aesthetic motif of your character. So say you have a cyber-age motif character and find a weapon with better stats in the Bronze era, the weapon will change to fit the cyber-age aesthetic while keeping the same stats. Only difference will be, like, legendary loot.

Also I should say that, even though players can always see another player's character for what they really look like, to NPC's they all seem to be warriors of that time period.

4. Whenever a new 'group' enters an 'era', they create a new instance which means they won't meet other players or fight over world events.
Pretty much, yes. There is little to no interaction with other players when the group is in an Era on quest or hunting trip. Allows for a unique and group-tailored narrative questing experience. The world reacts to what quests you do and how to do them.

I really like to think it's super advanced XD

what would be the more primitive version (ala Bronze to powder) of the support role, since the examples given are fairly high-tech?
That one is pretty tough to answer. It's partially up to the player, how they want to do the aesthetic and motif. However a Bio-Engineer I could see being a shaman, using magic and potions and such, and Robotics more of a summoner, using spirits and the like. Powder I could see being similar to just battlefield medics or people who lay down trenches and gun emplacements., Generally I feel every class can be figured out, just might take some creativity and some talking together.

Another question came to mind. Is there PvP, and if so, is there a certain pay2win aspect to it?
I have not thought about PvP. There could be an Arena or possibly some sort of way for players to invade and fight during a hunting trip. Unless the hunting trips should auto-allow multiple players and groups. Maybe all of those.

But I don't think there's P2W as much as any game cannot have it. The only bonus your beta testers will get is a special title "Chrono Trigger" and the out-of-game experience from playing the beta. Otherwise if all depends on your skill, level, and gear. Probably in that order.

Hope you don't mind all these clarifications and questions! We're trying to make the best characters possible. o/
I don't mind at all! I'm glad I can help and just hope that all of this makes sense! I'm rather a fan of OOC questions and especially just chatting and having fun in the OOC as well. :D

But yes I hope that all made sense.

Yes, very much so!

Ahh, for the p2w thing, I was thinking something like buying shop gear or getting boosts that increase drop rates and stuff, making it easier to craft harder items, rather than direct stat boosts.

edit:
oh, so does that mean each character would be confined to a certain era aesthetic? If so, how is that defined? o:

fluticasone fluticasone

I mean, perhaps there could be boosts like that, but they would be buyable from shops in the game and for in-game currency. Not a premium currency from real money.

I feel like I had another thing to say but I'm drawing a blank

I mean you have to buy the game. But after that no microtransations. Is my thought.

(Actually didn't see your edit till now) Yeah, each character is made to look like they came from a certain era, as well as their gear. That and the look of their abilities basically makes up the aesthetic. Unless a piecemeal armor and weapon system is wanted by most, that's the original thought.

fluticasone fluticasone

Ahh. Damn, my character concept was about a guy who just enjoyed aesthetics a lot so he was essentially a giant whale. not because he was particularly competitive, but simply because pretty things in games often meant microtransactions.

357733839012888586.png

I'll need to scrap him in this case then.

Whale?

What exactly do you want from the pretty things? I'm confused, what was your concept really?

Whale is slang for someone who spends money on microtransations in a game, usually on a very ridiculous scale (think more than 100 USD per month on a game). In most games with microtransactions such as freemium MMORPG's, better stats and 'prettier' items are often strictly cash shop/premium currency based.

Since the roleplay wasn't meant to be serious, I was thinking of a character who's very bad with money and spends it all on mobile gacha and the microtransactions in the various games he plays. While he's competitive, he's not really after winning - if it's not pretty, he won't spend money on it. He's very obsessed with appearances and will take the cash route if it's available to make his character pretty in game.

I mean, there could in theory be a way to change the look of items. -thinks- I don't know. The best way that that this would work would be have a cash shop for aesthetic items to attach to gear to make look different.. -thinks-

So cash shop would be strictly aesthetics with no bearing to actual gameplay? That could work! They could even sell stuff like particle effects? magical girl it up with rainbow sparkles lololol

Yeah. Maybe extra particle effects from/during abilities or so. But yeah I think that would work, depending on how we implement it in the RP and your character

Nano Nano My plan was to have all armor be just one part. So the chest, legs, gauntlets, etc (including jetpack/wings perhaps for flight armor) is just one item. Only armor thing that may be a different item would be helm. However then we could introduce a Diablo 3-esque transmog system. That is, be able to tweak and tinker the various parts to make them look just how they want during character creation and maybe even after equipping new armor if different armor looks the same.

If that all makes sense

Nano Nano My plan was to have all armor be just one part. So the chest, legs, gauntlets, etc (including jetpack/wings perhaps for flight armor) is just one item. Only armor thing that may be a different item would be helm. However then we could introduce a Diablo 3-esque transmog system. That is, be able to tweak and tinker the various parts to make them look just how they want during character creation and maybe even after equipping new armor if different armor looks the same.

If that all makes sense
Noticed something about that (in the era section?) in the overview, hence the deleted post >.<;;

Oh, by the way, my thought for combat is that it would be mostly narrative with a d20 roll to influence what happens. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back