Other Age Limits on Partners

Revna Eris

Overachiever
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Okay so I'm not bashing anyone who does this, I can DEFINITELY see reasons why someone would do it. It's more likely to have maturity over a certain age or some topics are extremely dark and maybe thought that only certain people can handle it, or it just might be personal preference. Again I'm not bashing on or hating anyone who does this because I can see myself probably doing it one day for personal reasons. However, on this site, there are rules that keep age from being an issue for the most part.

So I just have to ask, if you have an age limit why do you have it? (Since I can't hear voice/intended tone in text I may take something the wrong way if that happens I apologize.)

I do have my own age limit as well, which is why I'm not judging anyone who does, I'm just genuinely curious.

In my previous RPs, no one worried about the ages of others, we kind of just met up and started roleplaying. I can see why some might want to roleplay with people only over a certain age, maybe with some more serious topics. I've also seen a few people (not on here so far) that roleplay only with boys/girls, which I don't really understand because gender shouldn't really be a problem (again, this could just be personal preference but I just don't get it).

The gender thing is actually more likely what they're more experienced with and they might worry about messing up a different role than they're used to. One of the reasons I typically stick with same-sex pairings. I don't have to worry as much about messing up the role.

The thing about serious topics is that (and this is frustrating) most people my age (in my class) ignore serious topics. They all act like children and seem to think bad behaviors don't have consequences. We're 15-18-year-olds in my class. Some 15-year-olds are more mature than some 18-year-olds one of the reasons I don't like hearing people say "teenagers aren't as mature as adults". It's said a lot more often than you'd think... I hear it too often.

So to start off with I am almost thirty years old. I also roleplay exclusively 1x1s. So I can't speak to people significantly younger than me and their reasons for having age limits. And if age limits exist in groups I can't speak to the reasoning for that.

Another thing I'd like to start off with is dispelling the myth that age limits have anything to do with maturity or writing ability. Of the people I have spoken to directly about the subject, both in person and in the thread above, the general consensus is that age limits have more to do with life experience, ethical comfort, and ( in my case specifically ) scheduling.

The majority of people who make age limits are not doing so because they think that any individual who is below their age limit is too immature to roleplay with them. They are also not doing it because they think that anyone under their age limit is a bad roleplayer.

Typically speaking if someone is trying to weed out immature roleplayers they'll use something like :
  • No drama please
  • No excessive text talk please
  • If you try to get me to change my rules I won't roleplay with you
They won't be using an age limit for that purpose or at least not primarily for that purpose.

Now that I've gone over why people DONT use age limits let's go over a little bit of why they do.

Reason 1. Similar Life Experience.
Some times people ask to roleplay with people who are their own age or near to it because they are more comfortable talking about people in a similar state.

If Becky is in her mid twenties and just getting married and buying her first house it will be kind of awkward for her to talk to Susie who is a sophmore in high school and getting ready to go to band camp.

This is usually the case with people who like to make friends with their partners and thus feel awkward when they don't have enough in common to really hold in depth conversations out of character.

Reason 2 : Moral / Ethical Concerns
This was brought up in the linked thread but it echoes the thoughts a few of my old partners have had. This objection has to do with the idea that they feel as older individuals ( usually in their mid to late twenties, but sometimes in their later teens ) that it is inappropriate to talk to a minor over the internet.

This is sometimes tied to people who roleplay more mature themes they are simply uncomfortable talking with a child about. For instance : domestic violence, rape, mental illness, excessive gore, etc.

This is sometimes just because they know that parents feel uncomfortable with their children talking to adults over the internet and so they wish to respect said parents wishes.

Reason 3 : Scheduling
So the fact of the matter is teenagers are going to have very different schedules than adults or even college students. I have run into this a lot in my own roleplay searches. I'll start a roleplay with someone still in school ( college or high school ) and we are never on at the same time. They're usually busy when I'm home and when they're free I'm at work.

Now I don't necessarily mind this too much because I mostly roleplay at a slow pace but for people who want more rapid responses this can be a big problem when there is a big age gap.

In Closing

Personally I don't have age limits myself because the things I want to roleplay are all pretty "kid friendly" so to speak. I don't do romance and most of my roleplays are either YA fandom based or focused on friendship/family/adventure. I am also pretty laid back about roleplay speed so it doesn't bother me too much if someone takes a long time to reply because of school or what not.

That being the case I do notice that my partners tend to be at least eighteen/nineteen or older usually. I think this is because the fandoms I'm predominately interested in are usually things the 18 - 25 age range are interested in. My original ideas might get a slightly younger audience sometimes but it's pretty rare.

So maybe I'm just not into whatever you hip young kids are talkin' about nowadays.

So to start off with I am almost thirty years old. I also roleplay exclusively 1x1s. So I can't speak to people significantly younger than me and their reasons for having age limits. And if age limits exist in groups I can't speak to the reasoning for that.

Another thing I'd like to start off with is dispelling the myth that age limits have anything to do with maturity or writing ability. Of the people I have spoken to directly about the subject, both in person and in the thread above, the general consensus is that age limits have more to do with life experience, ethical comfort, and ( in my case specifically ) scheduling.

The majority of people who make age limits are not doing so because they think that any individual who is below their age limit is too immature to roleplay with them. They are also not doing it because they think that anyone under their age limit is a bad roleplayer.

Typically speaking if someone is trying to weed out immature roleplayers they'll use something like :
  • No drama please
  • No excessive text talk please
  • If you try to get me to change my rules I won't roleplay with you
They won't be using an age limit for that purpose or at least not primarily for that purpose.

Now that I've gone over why people DONT use age limits let's go over a little bit of why they do.

Reason 1. Similar Life Experience.
Some times people ask to roleplay with people who are their own age or near to it because they are more comfortable talking about people in a similar state.

If Becky is in her mid twenties and just getting married and buying her first house it will be kind of awkward for her to talk to Susie who is a sophmore in high school and getting ready to go to band camp.

This is usually the case with people who like to make friends with their partners and thus feel awkward when they don't have enough in common to really hold in depth conversations out of character.

Reason 2 : Moral / Ethical Concerns
This was brought up in the linked thread but it echoes the thoughts a few of my old partners have had. This objection has to do with the idea that they feel as older individuals ( usually in their mid to late twenties, but sometimes in their later teens ) that it is inappropriate to talk to a minor over the internet.

This is sometimes tied to people who roleplay more mature themes they are simply uncomfortable talking with a child about. For instance : domestic violence, rape, mental illness, excessive gore, etc.

This is sometimes just because they know that parents feel uncomfortable with their children talking to adults over the internet and so they wish to respect said parents wishes.

Reason 3 : Scheduling
So the fact of the matter is teenagers are going to have very different schedules than adults or even college students. I have run into this a lot in my own roleplay searches. I'll start a roleplay with someone still in school ( college or high school ) and we are never on at the same time. They're usually busy when I'm home and when they're free I'm at work.

Now I don't necessarily mind this too much because I mostly roleplay at a slow pace but for people who want more rapid responses this can be a big problem when there is a big age gap.

In Closing

Personally I don't have age limits myself because the things I want to roleplay are all pretty "kid friendly" so to speak. I don't do romance and most of my roleplays are either YA fandom based or focused on friendship/family/adventure. I am also pretty laid back about roleplay speed so it doesn't bother me too much if someone takes a long time to reply because of school or what not.

That being the case I do notice that my partners tend to be at least eighteen/nineteen or older usually. I think this is because the fandoms I'm predominately interested in are usually things the 18 - 25 age range are interested in. My original ideas might get a slightly younger audience sometimes but it's pretty rare.

So maybe I'm just not into whatever you hip young kids are talkin' about nowadays.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me in a very organized manner, I respect you even more than I already did.

What I am about to say is not to try to disprove what you are saying, but just to tell it from my own side and how I see it. I am not meaning to offend anyone.

Addressing your first point it typically does make sense that it is harder to bond OOC if you are not in the same age range due to lack of common interest and experiences to discuss. However, a lot of my friends are, believe it or not, 18 or older. This is because almost everyone in my classes acts immature and overall annoying in my own opinion. (We're Sophomores, prom does not exist in the real world for Freshmen and Sophomores. Focus on class not on complaining about your mom blocking a guy from school on your facebook.)

Addressing your second point, I can see why someone would feel uncomfortable with it. However, some teenagers are not going to stray away from dark topics. (Again speaking personally not for all teenagers) I've been through some things, terrible things, and teenagers may be child-like but are not children. I know you probably didn't mean it like that, but something I know I dislike is being treated like and called a child because I then feel looked down upon.

Addressing your third point like you said scheduling conflicts really come down to how the two partners feel about response times. I'm not in public school so I don't know what it's like to worry about things like that but I can definitely see the issues.

Now, the reason I respect the decision, but do get slightly disappointed when I see 18+ is because I see a lot of this on stuff that is right up my alley. While it doesn't mean I'm being targeted as childish as it may seem my mind goes to the conclusion that I'm just not a good enough writer or partner even if that's not the reason 18+ was put up as a general rule for that person. (Yes I do have self-esteem issues. I'm half working on it)

The only age limit that I understand as being any good for a public context on a roleplay site is the generic "18+" as liability for mature themes and content. Smutting with someone under 18, for example, will get you in serious shit in some countries if known. That said, beyond that (and even including), I don't see the point, as it's absurdly easy to lie about your age.

Well I think the thing to remember is again age limits aren't personal attacks on teenagers. They are about a personal preference for an individual.

Ex. I don't like student x teacher relationship. I think they are immoral and creepy.

I once got into this huge argument with someone who said that was narrow minded and prudish because relationships between adults and teachers could be beautiful and special and just like any relationship.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's still a preference for ME.

I am not saying that no one can make a student x teacher roleplay. Or even that anyone who does make a student x teacher roleplay is a bad person.

I am only saying that I personally will not do student x teacher relationships.

It's the same thing with age limits.

No one is saying that all teenagers a monolithe and thus are exactly the same and have the same experiences.

No one is saying that teenagers shouldn't roleplay whatever they want to roleplay.

All people are saying is that - Hey I don't like to roleplay with teenagers for X reasons.

I'm aware, my emotional reactions are just very sporadic and sometimes I don't even understand them. The bottom line for me is it's disappointing but I respect the decision and even have a couple age limits of my own (with exceptions)

My reasons, I'm sure, will come across as fairly selfish. I generally like my partners to be 18+ which is similar to my own age, partially because of literacy and associated factors - people not being able to write properly is a huge thing for me, and it's even worse if the interest check was well written, yet the posts themselves are riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. While I can appreciate it's about the content of the post as well, as a general rule of thumb, I find that if someone spells poorly, the content is also pretty lacklustre. I find that 'younger' people just aren't up to the standards I have, something gleaned from years of experience, not to mention the fact I was once 13.

As someone mentioned above, life experience is also a factor; I'm not saying that I've been through everything, but I've heard about or seen things that a teenager won't have, or have a greater understanding of whatever. I suppose this comes from spending a lot of time talking to people online over video game comms and Discord, where you meet a lot of very opinionated kids who only see one side and don't have the ability to recognise multiple facets of something. I like RP to have a bit of depth to it, and if someone can't see certain factors, then this doesn't happen.

The above is also illustrated in time constraints. I'd be lying if I said I was super busy, but sometimes I don't want to reply within 10 minutes of a response, or can't for whatever reason. There was someone on the forums last week who was wondering why they couldn't get responses to 1x1's when they wanted the partner to be online for 8 hours solid, from when this kid finished school till 11pm their time. That's ridiculous, and someone who's 18 realises that. Hopefully. I realise that it isn't a widespread issue, but it's been enough of one for me that it's a factor working for the age limit.

The age restriction is also a bit of a boundary, making me unwilling to talk about certain things because of inappropriate-ness. Sometimes RP gets dark, and I'm unwilling to talk about murder of something with a kid - while I suppose it isn't illegal in itself, it's weird and could be seen as not far off some dodgy stuff.

Speaking of which, I find kids are into weird stuff these days. You see an awful lot of teacher x student stuff, which is a bit strange: anyone, without having read or knowing about Freud, can see it is, to quote Geeking, 'creepy'.

That being said, I mostly go to other people for roleplays. If I see them put stuff like 'I'm 15', then I'll more often than not click off, for reasons stated above.

On a less common note, sometimes I end up talking to people on a regular basis outside of RP, and if it's a kid, that's less likely to happen. My sense of humour is fairly dark, I'm quite crude, I'm not very tolerant, and kids tend to talk about stuff I have little to no interest in.

All my reasons are pretty selfish, but at the end of the day, I'm here for me, which isn't to say that I'm not bothered about any partners or groups I have going, but I'm going to be more selective about those partners and groups.

My reasons, I'm sure, will come across as fairly selfish. I generally like my partners to be 18+ which is similar to my own age, partially because of literacy and associated factors - people not being able to write properly is a huge thing for me, and it's even worse if the interest check was well written, yet the posts themselves are riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. While I can appreciate it's about the content of the post as well, as a general rule of thumb, I find that if someone spells poorly, the content is also pretty lacklustre. I find that 'younger' people just aren't up to the standards I have, something gleaned from years of experience, not to mention the fact I was once 13.

As someone mentioned above, life experience is also a factor; I'm not saying that I've been through everything, but I've heard about or seen things that a teenager won't have, or have a greater understanding of whatever. I suppose this comes from spending a lot of time talking to people online over video game comms and Discord, where you meet a lot of very opinionated kids who only see one side and don't have the ability to recognise multiple facets of something. I like RP to have a bit of depth to it, and if someone can't see certain factors, then this doesn't happen.

The above is also illustrated in time constraints. I'd be lying if I said I was super busy, but sometimes I don't want to reply within 10 minutes of a response, or can't for whatever reason. There was someone on the forums last week who was wondering why they couldn't get responses to 1x1's when they wanted the partner to be online for 8 hours solid, from when this kid finished school till 11pm their time. That's ridiculous, and someone who's 18 realises that. Hopefully. I realise that it isn't a widespread issue, but it's been enough of one for me that it's a factor working for the age limit.

The age restriction is also a bit of a boundary, making me unwilling to talk about certain things because of inappropriate-ness. Sometimes RP gets dark, and I'm unwilling to talk about murder of something with a kid - while I suppose it isn't illegal in itself, it's weird and could be seen as not far off some dodgy stuff.

Speaking of which, I find kids are into weird stuff these days. You see an awful lot of teacher x student stuff, which is a bit strange: anyone, without having read or knowing about Freud, can see it is, to quote Geeking, 'creepy'.

That being said, I mostly go to other people for roleplays. If I see them put stuff like 'I'm 15', then I'll more often than not click off, for reasons stated above.

On a less common note, sometimes I end up talking to people on a regular basis outside of RP, and if it's a kid, that's less likely to happen. My sense of humour is fairly dark, I'm quite crude, I'm not very tolerant, and kids tend to talk about stuff I have little to no interest in.

All my reasons are pretty selfish, but at the end of the day, I'm here for me, which isn't to say that I'm not bothered about any partners or groups I have going, but I'm going to be more selective about those partners and groups.

It sounds like your experiences have scarred you. To me, it sounds like you're making assumptions about teenagers, and calling us kids isn't going to make us feel more mature. You're discussing this with a 15-year-old who watches crime shows, studies forensics, and listens to/reads/writes dark pieces of fiction a lot. Yes, teenagers are into weird things, but... I honestly don't know anyone personally in MY age group who thinks like that. At all. You keep saying "someone who's 18" and that's basically also making assumptions that most 18-year-olds aren't going to act like a child. I usually talk to people older than me I grew up around adults, not people in my own age group. Some of the adults I have met are the most childish people. Seriously. Not all teenagers innocent, most kids are innocent. There are teenagers who have been through a lot. (I'm not going to say I'm one of them because I know my life could've been much worse)

By putting up that 18+ sign it honestly is basically saying "because of my past experiences I'm not going to give you a chance". Isn't that unfair? I'm not trying to make you change your opinion. I'm just telling you what I think on the matter.

In my own personal opinion, I agree. Your reasons sound very selfish and you also said "I'm here for me" if you're looking for a long-term roleplay partner do remember they're going to want things too. Being flexible even in the slightest and compromising can go a long way. However, what works for you works. You do you.

(None of the above was intended to be disrespectful while writing this the tone meant to be conveyed is calm and collected I am not snapping or arguing. The above is just my general opinion and observation of what was said.)

I'd think 'scarred' is a bit much, but I get what you're saying. As for my putting 'people who are 18', it was just an arbitrary number; the usual age restriction in 18, so I used that. It gives more of a distinction than child and adult.

But essentially yes, I'm being selective on the roleplays I pick up based off of past experiences, and I think to an extent, everyone does, whether they admit it or not. We all have preconceived notions and schemas, and anyone who says they go into anything with a completely open mind... I'd probably raise an eyebrow. But if I put an interest check, with 18+, and someone younger expressed interest (assuming they didn't just pretend they were 18 or whatever), I'd take a stab at it, on the basis that they think they 'meet reauirements', so I might as well see what they do.

I can accept that some kids go through tough times or whatever, and are more mature than others of a similar age, but that's very much the exception than the rule.

That and I'd prefer to RP with people my age: we know similar things, they will get certain references, and I know what I can say and not say to a certain degree. At the end of the day, it's personal choice, and while I can admit to meeting some genuinely nice kids who I've had a laugh with, once again, it's the exception rather than the rule.

I'd think 'scarred' is a bit much, but I get what you're saying. As for my putting 'people who are 18', it was just an arbitrary number; the usual age restriction in 18, so I used that. It gives more of a distinction than child and adult.

But essentially yes, I'm being selective on the roleplays I pick up based off of past experiences, and I think to an extent, everyone does, whether they admit it or not. We all have preconceived notions and schemas, and anyone who says they go into anything with a completely open mind... I'd probably raise an eyebrow. But if I put an interest check, with 18+, and someone younger expressed interest (assuming they didn't just pretend they were 18 or whatever), I'd take a stab at it, on the basis that they think they 'meet reauirements', so I might as well see what they do.

I can accept that some kids go through tough times or whatever, and are more mature than others of a similar age, but that's very much the exception than the rule.

That and I'd prefer to RP with people my age: we know similar things, they will get certain references, and I know what I can say and not say to a certain degree. At the end of the day, it's personal choice, and while I can admit to meeting some genuinely nice kids who I've had a laugh with, once again, it's the exception rather than the rule.

Thank you for clarifying and responding.

I also think what Kozilek Kozilek was trying to say is that teenagers tend to be less objective than adults.

Like teenagers tend to take things much more personally than adults to.

I have seen two threads about age limits. Both were started by teenagers. Both wanted to know why people had these limits and how they came up with these "arbitrary" rules. ( I know you haven't said that but other people have )

Here's the thing. You don't see adults doing the same.

You don't see adults going around complaining when someone doesn't roleplay with only a specific gender. Or when THEY don't meet an age limit.

Which can happen. Some people only roleplay with 21 +. Some people only roleplay with people that are like within their age range.

But you don't see twenty year olds moaning about how unfair is that some people only roleplay with people that are old enough to drink in America.

Or even older people complaining about how it's not fair that younger kids don't want to roleplay with them.

Because adults are more objective. They don't take it personally and just shrug and move on if a partner doesn't work out.

But teenagers tend to get much more defensive and take it as personal attack.

I believe that is what Koz was trying to illustrate when they talked about "different life experiences"

( if i'm off base do let me know. but i think that is what you were trying to get at )

I also think what Kozilek Kozilek was trying to say is that teenagers tend to be less objective than adults.

Like teenagers tend to take things much more personally than adults to.

I have seen two threads about age limits. Both were started by teenagers. Both wanted to know why people had these limits and how they came up with these "arbitrary" rules. ( I know you haven't said that but other people have )

Here's the thing. You don't see adults doing the same.

You don't see adults going around complaining when someone doesn't roleplay with only a specific gender. Or when THEY don't meet an age limit.

Which can happen. Some people only roleplay with 21 +. Some people only roleplay with people that are like within their age range.

But you don't see twenty year olds moaning about how unfair is that some people only roleplay with people that are old enough to drink in America.

Or even older people complaining about how it's not fair that younger kids don't want to roleplay with them.

Because adults are more objective. They don't take it personally and just shrug and move on if a partner doesn't work out.

But teenagers tend to get much more defensive and take it as personal attack.

I believe that is what Koz was trying to illustrate when they talked about "different life experiences"

( if i'm off base do let me know. but i think that is what you were trying to get at )

Actually, I was just curious on the 18+ thing. Depending on how my day is going will kind of better predict how I'll take things. Also remember that while there are age limits and such, if an 18-year-old has their eye on two roleplays one 18+ and one 21+ and they're both good, the 18-year-old still has options whereas anyone younger wouldn't. In fact, 18-year-olds have more options than younger teenagers.

Teenagers (in my situation at least) are used to having to be defensive. It's the first instinct for teenagers in my type of situation. Also, note other places on the internet exist, and there are adults that take things too literally too much of the time (just pointing it out).

Also, remember at the end of the day, everyone has negative and positive opinions not just neutral ones. Adults probably do complain but just don't say anything about it. Keep in mind that, (in my English class at least) we're constantly being taught to "look for explicit and implicit meaning in work of writing" so they're teaching us to read into things too deeply when there might be nothing to read into at all.

Actually, I was just curious on the 18+ thing. Depending on how my day is going will kind of better predict how I'll take things. Also remember that while there are age limits and such, if an 18-year-old has their eye on two roleplays one 18+ and one 21+ and they're both good, the 18-year-old still has options whereas anyone younger wouldn't. In fact, 18-year-olds have more options than younger teenagers.

Teenagers (in my situation at least) are used to having to be defensive. It's the first instinct for teenagers in my type of situation. Also, note other places on the internet exist, and there are adults that take things too literally too much of the time (just pointing it out).

Also, remember at the end of the day, everyone has negative and positive opinions not just neutral ones. Adults probably do complain but just don't say anything about it. Keep in mind that, (in my English class at least) we're constantly being taught to "look for explicit and implicit meaning in work of writing" so they're teaching us to read into things too deeply when there might be nothing to read into at all.

I was simply talking about the idea of different life experiences and using the age limit to make the point as it pertains to the subject at hand.

But if you need a different example fair enough.

Say someone said they don't roleplay with people who are 25 +. Or they only roleplay with people who are 18 - 21. Furthermore they say anyone over twenty five who is roleplayer is a pedo weirdo and ought to be watched around young children.

Like I am not going to internalize that as an attack on all thirty something roleplayers. Or even all roleplayers over the age of twenty five. I am not going to get angry or offended. I am not going to make a thread titled ; Why Roleplaying Over Twenty Five Does NOT make You A Pedo.

I am going to shrug and move on. I am going to accept that these people have reasons for their rules and it has nothing to do with me.

And like 99% of mature adults will do the same. The remaining 1% are giant children that live to throw hissy fits anyway.

And that is the difference really.

And adult does not internalize general statements as attacks on them or their contemporaries. They honestly don't care. If someone in a hobby they enjoy doesn't want to roleplay with them. Or several someones in a hobby they enjoy doesn't want to roleplay with them than it's not the end of the world.

They will either focus on the people who WILL roleplay with them or move on to a different hobby.

I was simply talking about the idea of different life experiences and using the age limit to make the point as it pertains to the subject at hand.

But if you need a different example fair enough.

Say someone said they don't roleplay with people who are 25 +. Or they only roleplay with people who are 18 - 21. Furthermore they say anyone over twenty five who is roleplayer is a pedo weirdo and ought to be watched around young children.

Like I am not going to internalize that as an attack on all thirty something roleplayers. Or even all roleplayers over the age of twenty five. I am not going to get angry or offended. I am not going to make a thread titled ; Why Roleplaying Over Twenty Five Does NOT make You A Pedo.

I am going to shrug and move on. I am going to accept that these people have reasons for their rules and it has nothing to do with me.

And like 99% of mature adults will do the same. The remaining 1% are giant children that live to throw hissy fits anyway.

And that is the difference really.

And adult does not internalize general statements as attacks on them or their contemporaries. They honestly don't care. If someone in a hobby they enjoy doesn't want to roleplay with them. Or several someones in a hobby they enjoy doesn't want to roleplay with them than it's not the end of the world.

They will either focus on the people who WILL roleplay with them or move on to a different hobby.

Yes but (and I'm not being rude or disrespectful or saying you didn't get my point) what the point of this is (for me) is to understand why some people do it because I'm genuinely curious. I'm not complaining about it entirely, I just want to understand and then make my own points. Have a thoughtful discussion. I see the point you're making about teenagers taking things to heart, and how it can deter older roleplayers.

Yes but (and I'm not being rude or disrespectful or saying you didn't get my point) what the point of this is (for me) is to understand why some people do it because I'm genuinely curious. I'm not complaining about it entirely, I just want to understand and then make my own points. Have a thoughtful discussion. I see the point you're making about teenagers taking things to heart, and how it can deter older roleplayers.

Yeah I think in part it's in the way your responding. Like I am using general examples pulled from multiple experiences with roleplayers who partner with me or just friends I have in the 18 + age bracket.

Personally I don't actually have an age limit nor do I need one. My interests tend to be "Things That Were Popular When I Was In High School" OR super platonic / general stuff.

Which means that while I tend to end up with people close to my age it's more because I roleplay things people close to my age know exist not because I set out to deliberately turn away people who are younger.

But I have had friends who do feel strongly about this stuff and I am just relaying their reasonings for it.

Sorry if it's come across as if I'm attacking you. I am just trying to basically say that no one is trying to be down on teenagers they're just saying - hey sometimes when you get older your interests change. it's no biggie honestly. one day you too will be old and your interests will change.

Yeah I think in part it's in the way your responding. Like I am using general examples pulled from multiple experiences with roleplayers who partner with me or just friends I have in the 18 + age bracket.

Personally I don't actually have an age limit nor do I need one. My interests tend to be "Things That Were Popular When I Was In High School" OR super platonic / general stuff.

Which means that while I tend to end up with people close to my age it's more because I roleplay things people close to my age know exist not because I set out to deliberately turn away people who are younger.

But I have had friends who do feel strongly about this stuff and I am just relaying their reasonings for it.

Sorry if it's come across as if I'm attacking you. I am just trying to basically say that no one is trying to be down on teenagers they're just saying - hey sometimes when you get older your interests change. it's no biggie honestly. one day you too will be old and your interests will change.

Not at all, I know you aren't attacking me in any way. I appreciate you remaining cool-headed about this and not losing patience with me.

For me, I would like to have my rp's for 18+ just because the more...interesting monsters/enemy ideas I have in mind are a little not so family friendly, pg-13 monsters/enemies.

I'm just going to share my thoughts again from the previous thread made about age limits on roleplays here:
I think the biggest reason some people over the age of 18 who set age limits and prefer not to rp with people under the age of 18 is a morality thing. Certain people just don't feel comfortable interacting with minors on the internet, even if it is in a safe and moderated environment. They might not want to be at the other end of the line if an angry parent were to find out their child was interacting with adult strangers over the internet, particularly if they were writing questionable content. Which I think is entirely reasonable! Though I see no problem with someone older writing with a minor as long as they know what is appropriate and what's not, I understand why some people simply wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.
Again, I don't think someone setting an age limit like 18 or 21 necessarily says that person believes anyone younger than that age is immature. More likely, that person simply feels uncomfortable interacting with people younger than that over the internet. It's perfectly fine for you to have your own feelings and opinions on the matter. As an example: some people would think it's inappropriate for a 20-year old college student to hang out with 17 and 18-year olds that are still in high school, while others would find that perfectly fine. Different people have different opinions on what is appropriate and what isn't. Compared to some of the other places I find roleplays, the adult population of RPN is very lenient in their willingness to roleplay with others under 18.

So I'll preface this by saying I don't look down on anyone who has an age limit (not saying anyone here does, not pointing fingers, just making a statement) because to an extent I understand. With the whole romance thing, yes there are places where you can get into trouble RPing romance with a minor if you're of age. Maturity, non-family friendly ideas, I get it.

I'm 26. Do I have an age limit? No. Because I know of at least one person (on this site, actually) who is around 14 and can write better than some published authors. She paints this incredible picture with her characters, and it's always a pleasure to read her posts.

I have been through alot of shit in my life. I was nine when my father died, I've lost a baby, I've lost a fiance. I've had friends come and go, people stab me in the back. People love to make assumptions about age = maturity when it doesn't mean that. You don't turn eighteen and all of a sudden become this mature adult. In the eyes of the law (at least here in the states) 18 makes you legal, yes, but not mature. I roleplay for fun, and I don't roleplay smut (which I know isn't allowed here on RPN anyway) so I don't particularly care how old you are, as long as you can write. Make me excited to read your posts! Write and create a beautiful story with me!

As a teenager, I was in a dark place. I used writing and roleplaying as an escape (to a point, still do, though I'm much better off mentally). It would suck if I saw someone with an age limit of, say, 18 and I was only 17. I might bitch about it, but eventually I'd either find something else or turn of age. I do see adults bitching about genders and shit, because everyone has something that pisses them off or irks them, adult or minor. For the most part, yeah, adults are more mature than teens because teens are still developing. But I know that when I was a teen, I was a little bit mature beyond my years because life sucker punched me and I had to be.

Obviously that doesn't go for everyone. Mostly just talking about myself, my own experiences and preferences. I'll most likely never have an age limit, but I judge rather based on how you present yourself and your writing.

And to be clear. No one is saying teenagers can't do certain kinds of roleplays.

If a fifteen year old wants to roleplay a rape fantasy with a student and a teenager that evolves to a domestic violence situation where the student is rescued when a serial killing vigilante eats the teacher. Than I say go for it. Have fun.

I will not be your partner for this roleplay however.

A. Because in general rape/domestic violence/etc are not things I will roleplay period. Regardless of your age.

B. Because I am not comfortable talking about such charged and problematic situations with a teenager I do not know. Hell I wouldn't be comfortable talking about them with a teenager I DO know. I just do not feel it is my place.

That is not a dig at teenagers.

That is not saying they cannot handle those topics or shouldn't want to roleplay them.

Hell I am not even saying they shouldn't roleplay those topics with ADULTS.

I am just saying - This topic makes me uncomfortable. I will not roleplay it with you. Please respect that.

I'm a grown ass adult and one, it makes my uncomfortable to be rping with children (under 17) and two if things get a bit raunchy I might get in trouble considering my day job is working with children.

I'm a grown ass adult and one, it makes my uncomfortable to be rping with children (under 17) and two if things get a bit raunchy I might get in trouble considering my day job is working with children.

Well the raunchy is forbidden on this site at least so you don't have to worry about it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back