• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern After The War: A Post-Apocalyptic RP

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Viv
"Save your thanks for Riley. She's the one responsible for letting you stay here." The turk couldn't help but scoff. She didn't mean to be rude, but group survival wasn't exactly her preferred means. Had she had things her way none of these strangers would be here, but Viv chose to say nothing of the sort. Instead she followed Kashnir, sitting down beside him, drawing her knees to her chest.
"Well Luci, you guessed right. I do already know that." She could only frown at this. Did he mean something more by it? "Don't worry, I have my eyes on both of you. Make one slip up, act suspicious, and I will feed you to those sand hornets myself. That goes for both of you."
"I'm not here to be a jerk, I just want to keep my cousin and myself safe and alive." Viv paused for a moment. Stirring the coals of the fire with a nearby stick. "Riley's just a good person, and I'm not. She wants to try and save everyone she can, cried her eyes out when she lost that kid to the hornet venom. Thinks it's her responsibility to help other people or something. Riles has always been like that though, since before the war. I try and keep an eye on her, I don't know if she'd have made it on her own."
"What about you, Luci? You got anyone left that you care about?"

Lucifer 'Lu' Kashnir
Kashnir.png
Listening to Viv, Lu nodding along to what she was saying. He would agree with many of her points; including her threat if he tried anything. Lu thought about both Viv's and Riley's way of doing things and he felt he could relate to both. During his time in Ireland, spending so much of tour alongside with British forces; he learnt a thing or two from them. 'Controlled Aggression; the ability to switch off and on the kill drive in a moment's notice. Considering he wasn't being kept prisoner or had a knife at his throat, Lu felt he could put his guard down but always took notice of the situation at hand. Glancing at her sitting next to him, he reaches with a over small wooden bowl and places it in front of her. Taking a ladle from his satchel bag, Lu spoons in several scoops of the chilli and finally finishes with a plastic spoon being laid next to the bowl. "My husband is waiting for me to return north.. naturally, I do not want to keep him waiting." He casually winks in Viv's direction, like a naughty teenager coming out of the closet. "I presume you and Miss Riley are close in terms of family?.. I haven't spoken to my siblings in over a decade.."

As he does the serving, he occasionally looks around and lowers his voice.
"I won't lie to you Miss Viv, I have little intention of staying here for long; possibly a month or so depending on the weather. You have nothing to worry about in terms of me 'trying' something.. I come from a group in the north called the 'Remnants.' We mostly consist of military and goverment folks... We have the intention of forming a goverment once more and bringing order to the chaos. you know, making the country great again... now, Miss Viv.. after telling you this; do you consider me to be even more of a enemy?... What do I have to gain here by trying to destroy your settlement?.. if anything.. I hope more people would band together.. like packs of bison..." A sly grin would form across his face, a hidden part of Lu would reveal itself. A dark, twisted soul that wants nothing more than order and is will to take his chances to make it happen.

He gestures to the bowl and turns his attitude back to normal, as if he never said anything at all. "I offer you this meal as a sign that i'm not up to no good.."

Viv
Ah, a husband. So that's why he wanted to go north even though everyone knew that's where most of the atomic bombs were dropped and where most of the fallout had settled. Viv thinks for a moment, considering the idea. "I always wanted to get married, though I'm more a lady-lover myself. Never found anyone to settle down with though but who knows, maybe I will eventully in this dirt bowl. As for Riley... Well, she's practically my sister. See, my mom married her uncle after my baba died. Riley's parents never were too keen on looking after, whether it was because they were too busy or didn't care we never knew. She used to get dumped on my step-dad while they worked, so we pretty much got raised together."

Seeing the bowl in front of her Viv realized it'd been a while since she had eaten, and her stomach growled in anticipation. She decided not to turn down the kind gesture and set to work eating the chili. With his confession she raised an eyebrow, but wasn't exactly startled by it. A government, huh? "Doesn't matter much to me, honestly. Government or no government we're all kinda screwed at the moment. 'Sides, people aren't animals. Maybe Riley would like the idea of having a government again to help bring structure and law or whatever but me? I don't give a shit. All I care about is that Riley and I don't die to the fallout of some miserable war our old government started." She shoveled another spoonful of chili in her mouth, looking Kashnir up and down again, but not much different than before. "Don't care who you are, either you help out around here or we kick you out. Rules still apply, you're not gonna be above them just cause you got all these noble goals in your little head."

"Though, if you get this little 'government' of yours together and you can pull us out of this mess, my opinion just might change. I'd kill to live in an actual home with working water and power again, and to get out of this blasted southern heat."

Lucifer 'Lu' Kashnir
Kashnir.png

"Lady-lover?.." Lu gives Viv and short stare before breaking out into laughter; "Haven't heard it called that before.." Rubbing his left eye and grinning like a child, he pats her on the shoulder in a attempt to reassurance her of his good intentions. "I can understand your desire to protect your family, most primary mammals have such instincts." Lu spoke like a biology teacher giving a lecture on group psychology. "Wolves value their pack-members... even those that are low ranking, maimed or sick. For when the time comes; social standing or hidden agendas can be put to one side." He glances around, looking for the pink haired woman as he continued to speak. "The Remnants already have the situation in Seattle somewhat controlled.. though it has meant several... 'incidents' occuring.." 'Incidents'... what a top-hat word to use to describe the true extent of what was truely happening up in the north. Mass killings of entire populations to make the other feel that little more safe and in power. Lu thought back to when he was at home within a Remnant camp and overheard conversations between several security guards. "The kid threw a rock so I threw something back". The guards chuckled amongst themselves as one of them playfully taps his rifle; gesturing the act he had commited moments ago. Concerned about what was truely happening, Lu's husband; John stepped from out of their small kitchen and stood by Lu whilst continuing to dry a plate with a towel.

"Does it not bother you that the Council has ordered another area to be cleansed? How many survivors are going to be killed before we can live in peace?.. a peace that has had little meaning to these... armed thugs." John glares out of the window of their small, modest white house at the several armed guards making patrols within the camp. Lu pondered the questions before him and didn't take it overly seriously.

"No, I don't... truefully said, I wish the entire state be wiped clean of these abominations, beggars, low-lifes... whatever you call them.." He did not care for those 'fortunate' enough to have been born or accepted into the Remnants. Those that had survived the war by scavenging, banditry or even hiding away in public shelters were of little concern to him. Rubbing his nose and standing up, Lu holds out his arms, beckons John over whom reluctantly does so and the two embrace one another. Seeking a chance, Lu whispers into John's ear.

"Sometimes we have to make the ultimate choice. Do we let everyone have a piece of this world and risk it plunging back into chaos once more?... or do what we can to control the evil, the unknown and the masses in order to keep the world safe?" Giving John a slight squeeze and a peck on the neck, Lu releases him and places his cap upon his head. "I've been summoned to the Council; something to do with our scouts in Mexico.. I can only presume it's just my turn to do some footwork outside the city.. I'll return before anything is offical of course.." He winks at his husband before stepping out and heading through the busy yet clean streets of New Seattle.

Looking at Viv now, Lu felt his work in the south was going to be a far more interesting adventure than he had first thought. He gives her a short smile before standing up and dusting his trousers of any sand. "I believe the Remnants have big plans for the country.. homes, safety.. like our country once was. It will take time of course.." Giving Viv a final nod, he decides to take a small walk around the camp to get his bearings. "I'll be back in a few.. hopefully i'll bump into Miss Riley"

Riley and Viv
Viv had only waved him off, content to eating by the fire on her own. Kashnir had given her some things to think about, and she hadn't considered a new government yet. Hopefully it would work out better than the last one. Whatever he hoped to accomplish with this remnant group, Viv hoped he'd do a damn good job of it. Otherwise they'd up in a very similar situation yet again. The thought made a rather uneasy feeling start to bubble up in her stomach.

Meanwhile Riley had taken to sorting out the medical supplies the strangers had brought over. Wyatt and Walker, whoever their boss was they seemed to be an alright sort, but Riley didn't like that they hadn't shown their own face and merely sent out a pair of lackeys. Didn't seem right to her, but the supplies they had sent certainly would make a difference in the camp. There was water too, fresh, clean water and even some clothing. Most importantly there were things like disinfectant, bandages, Potassium Iodide, Prussian Blue, and DTPA, all of which were vital for treating radiation sickness. Sadly, there wasn't any anti-venom of any kind inside, but such a thing was hard to come by. Riley could make it herself, and she had considered the thought, but she didn't exactly have the resources to make any.

It was in the little makeshift office Riley had set up (really it was just a few screens surrounding a desk, some crates, and a pair of bedrolls) sorting through these new supplies that Kashnir found her. "You must be the one Viv found, or one of them? There was another man earlier, but I didn't really have time to talk. I do now though, if you'd like to." Riley spoke before he could, looking up at him with her dark blue eyes. "Are you sick? Hurt? I can patch you up. Don't worry I went to a real medical school before the bombs fell." She assured him kindly, already moving to set out an examination kit on the desk. She gave the chair next to her a friendly pat, seemingly inviting him to sit. "Just don't tell me you got stung by one of those sand hornets."

Cross jerked back from the sudden shotgun blast, but not bothering to draw his pistol. Little bit too ambitious to assume he could hit a fist sized hornet flying erratically through the air at him. Instead, he pulled the now empty pack off of his back and swung it like a fishing net when the hornet got close, trapping it in the thick canvas, and crushing it under his boot through the bag. Picking it up, he looked at the brown sludge and chunks of hornet gleaming from the outside of the bag, and with a look of disgust, shouldered it. "Wonder if that doctor lady knows how to make antivenom. Maybe we could try capturing some and have her conscripted to make some. Now that would be a hot item to sell." They continued to the compound, and upon reaching the gate, entered. Roux wasn't there to greet them, but they dropped their bags (including the one now dirty with hornet goop) off with sinclair.

"Let me go put my gear down and grab a drink. After that I'll find Roux and meet you in the meeting room" Walker said. With that he went to his quarters and set his bag down and set his shotgun by his bed in its normal home. He then sat down on his bed just long enough to grab an old jar of moonshine that him and some other ranch workers brewed up before the bombs fell. "Damn shame I'm down to the last jar" he muttered to himself. He then knew what his next two projects for the Cost-Co building would be; riging up a way to catch rain water on the roof, then figuring out someway to build a stil. He took a long sip from the jar then replacex the lid and slip it back into it's hiding place. He then got up to go find Roux, when he finally found her he said "Hey, Cross and I are back from the bridge, I told him to meet us in the meeting room. Let's head that way." They then made their way to meet Cross.

Wiley couldn’t help but be a little bit offended by “Viv”. He was sure that she had just had a bad day, and wasn’t actually a mean person. He wasn’t sure exactly where the garden was, but he looked around for it and in about thirty seconds he found it. Wiley opened the saddlebag he possessed and picked out a bag of seeds he had found once. It was a bag full of strawberry seeds. He took it out of his bag to discover there was a small hole in it, and he estimated about half of the seeds were gone. He nodded and looked up to the sky, “Have I done something wrong to you?”

He paused for a second and made his way over to a side of the garden and made a couple of holes, putting strawberry seeds in them. Wiley then though about whether or not they would be okay with him planting more plants, but decided that they probably wouldn’t care. He looked over his work and felt a strong sense of pride.

Roux and Sinclaire
Roux was working on cleaning her rifle when Walker found her, though she opted to finish that up once she'd heard the report. She was rather eager to hear how things went, who they were dealing with and all that. So she followed him there, hopping up onto her usual spot on the counter. No cigars or whiskey this time, this meeting was mostly business. "So? How'd it go?"
Immediately she was going through the list of questions she'd built up in her head over the past day or so. "How well armed are they? They a threat or a soft target? Are they worth doing business with? Any real defenses? And are they suspicious? Go, on tell me everything."

Some way into their talking Sinclaire pushed his way into the meeting room, clutching an old cloth bag. "Boss, they can't keep doing this! I don't even know what this and I don't want to know anymore." This only made the redhead put her face in her hands, not pleased with the sight of the sludge inside the bag or Sinclaire's interruption.

"Whatever that gunk is, and whichever of you two did that- Clean the bag yourself next time. And Sinclaire-" She snapped to glare at the man with a severe lack of spine. "Don't interrupt reports again. Now, go." The once upset, now scared, quartermaster swallowed hard, giving a nervous laugh and a glance around the room. He said nothing else, and merely left with his head down, though he did drop the bag on his way out, clearly not content to clean it himself. "Who did it? Fess up and clean that bag after this. It's disgusting."

Cross grinned guiltily, "That'd be me. I'd like to see you shoot one of those Hornets out of the air without a shotgun. I'll clean the bag." He didn't mind, just glad he didn't need to cut off a limb from a sting. "Speaking of, those hornets are apparently pretty common around here and they have a doctor. Maybe we could get a good relationship going and see about producing an antivenom. Not just for ourselfs but something like that would sell like hotcakes. Anyway, it's a group of about a dozen from what I can guess, not much more, didn't see all of them. Have a doctor like I said. And they have some guns, looked like the leader, this massive Amazon woman, Turkish I think, was prettty protective of the doctor. They've started to grow some plants and are willing to trade produce if we can supply water for their growth. They had clay chips and some other supplies for us. Gave em a radio, I'll call in to see if it's working ok for them later. But all in all if we had to, they went hostile, they have good cover but simply don't have the resources to mount any kind of attack." Cross thought for a moment, not sure if there was anything he missed. "Anything to add Tex?"

Wiley found a good spot to pitch his tent, it wasn’t huge but it was enough for him to sleep in and roll around. He sat cross legged inside his tent and got out his bible and sighed. It had been a while since he last opened this book, but now it felt right to. He opened it and poured over the texts, he read some out loud and smiled at the familiarity of the stories. He prayed for a better tommorow and he thanked for the home he had found. Wiley stopped and wondered what the next day had in store, it might be a good day, or a bad day, but either way he would be happy

He got out a cracked mirror and looked at himself, his hair had became more scraggly and long. He ran his finger over a small scar on his cheek and remembered how it happened. He had been scavenging for materials in a home that appeared abandoned, and someone came out of the shadows and tried to stab him in the head. Wiley dodged and took the blade against his cheek instead, and ran far away from that place.

He thought of his life before, he had a good life, he had finally become the priest of his church. He had a steady income, and things were going well with his fiance, and they planned to be wed six months after this whole mess happened. Wiley stopped and pulled something from the very bottom of his bag, it was a snub nosed revolver that he hoped he would never have to use. He put it back at the bottom of the bag, closed his eyes and went to the world of sleep.

Walker chuckled a little as Wyatt recounted the hornet run-in. Once his friend finished the report and asked if he had anything to add he added one more thing. "About those crops they're growing, I told them that as long as you were okay with it I was willing to take a small crew out there and build up some decent walls and fortifications for them if they could keep a steady supply of the crops coming our way, and I already have an idea for collecting enough water to supply both us and them. I can talk to Sinclaire about the little details of it. Of course I would finish up the walls here and get that water collection system up and going before I started working on their stuff." Walker explained. A slight grin grew on his face as he remembered one other small detail. "Oh yea, one other thing.. Wyatt here thinks that Riley, their doctor, "has the hots for me." Interesting little girl, she is.. She was about your size but more frail, and had short pink hair. If that does turn out to be the case, it could be an even biggrr step into the door between our groups."

Roux
The suggestion of building fortifications for the refugees seemed like a fool's errand to her, but if he thought it would help Roux would give the go ahead. "Fine, but they have to chip in on the materials it takes to build that kind of stuff. That shit doesn't grow on trees, and this isn't a charity. The produce sounds nice though, so I'll put you in charge of this project. Take whoever you need and Sinclaire will see to your supplies, but again, they gotta chip in too."
The last detail caught Roux by surprise. The hots...? What could have happened for him to think that? "The hots?" Roux repeated, trying to keep a straight face. "Listen Walker, my boy, if you wanna get busy that's fine, but do it on your off time. I'm not paying you to lay pipe with a doctor. But hey, that's your business!" She hopped down from the counter, arms folded with a sharp, but friendly laugh. "Good job, though. Seems like we have a business deal, and a budding relationship."

Walker gave a laugh as well as Roux got off the counter. "I dont know about a budding relationship or anything, im just saying it could be beneficial to the group. Plus it was Wyatt that originally suggested that out in the field. I figure if one of their main honchos has a fancy for me then we can use that to our advantage. Maybe get a better side of trades in the future... You know stuff like that. As far as them giving supplies for the wall, they have plenty of reckage from that bridge for me to build the whole thing without uaing up any of our resources." Walker scratched his beard for a second before continuing. "I could even make a weak spot or two in it, incase things ever get hostile between us."

Roux
"Oof! And I thought I was cold!" Roux flashed a red-lipped grin, letting out a hearty laugh and she gave him a friendly slap on the arm. "Playing with the innocent affections of a young lady! I couldn't have thought of anything so absolutely cruel. You really are a man after my own heart." That really had the wheels turning, and it gave the woman a brilliant idea.
"Tell you what, why don't you take your pretty little self over there tonight and do some sweet talking? See if that little doctor knows anything useful, especially about anti-venom. That would set us up until the world is done ending and then some. Wyatt has the right idea there, so if you can make it work I'll see what I can scrounge up for you in terms of liquor, maybe some dip. I know you like that stuff." Roux knew what cards to play, she never put her bets on the wrong man, so she'd just have to make sure he wouldn't disappoint. Would it be hard to find dip and liquor in this mess of a crumbling town? Sure but it'd be worth it if they could get a nice little deal with that antivenom going.
"Speaking of Wyatt-" Roux turned sharply toward the man, barking more orders his way. "Once you've scrubbed that bag you can scrub yourself. Make sure the water's cold."

Walker smiled at what Roux said. "Now you're talkin'. If something does end up working out between me and the Doc then I honestly won't mind, I'm just a very broad and opportunistic thinker. I like to keep my options and possibilies plentiful and open. I'll grab my gear and head back out there now so I have plenty of daylight left." He then went to his quarters and gathered his gear back up and slung his ever reliable shotgun on his shoulder. On his way out he stopped by Sinclaire to tell him something. "Hey bud, we're mighty sorry bout that bag 'o bug. Anyways I need you to do some research for me if you can. I have an idea for collecting water, but I have no clue about possible radiation affects on rain or if we would need to filter it somehow. I figure you're a good bit smarter than me when it comes to scientific knowledge so that's why I came to you. I'm heading back outside, could be a couple days before I get back, not exactly sure. Whenever I do get back here I'll catch up with you and we can hammer out the details for our water collection." With that out of the way Walker started his journey back over to the refugees at the bridge.

"Fine, but you can't stop me from using lukewarm water." He sauntered out of the room without waiting for a response. Kicking the bag in the air and catching it. He went out and hosed it off and was able to brush off the larger chunks, careful to avoid the remnants of the stinger, not wanting to rush that antivenom. Then he went to his room and stripped of his filthy clothes and walked to the staff showers, naked as was his custom. Seemed to work fine with the only lady around last time, in some respects, with the exception of losing a few pints of blood. Making it to the showers he did take a cold shower, more so to save energy, and put on some sweats and a t shirt and went to the yard. He would need to shower again after working out but hey, that one could be hot.

Viv
Viv had just gotten back to guarding when she saw him. One of those burly guys Riley had been talking to, and she groaned inwardly seeing he was already back. By the time he got to the camp she was there waiting to greet him, tree-trimmer-spear in hand. "Back already? Sorry, I didn't realize you'd been given an open invitation to just stroll into our fucking home." This whole thing stunk to her, like a dead animal in the heat. She was ready to hit him with some friendly threats, but then it occurred to her. If they were going to be selling them supplies, maybe she shouldn't have a knife at their throats.
They needed a steady trade partner, and as much as Viv hated it they needed a reliable place to buy supplies like water, clothes, and ammo. They'd be screwed without it, but there had to be some kind of precautions here.
"Look, if you're here to do more business then just don't cause any trouble. Riley's at her desk. Sitting over there behind a screen by some bedrolls. She's not armed, so you're not about to be either if you want in there. Leave your gun where I can see it." Viv looked him dead in the eyes, her brows knitting together to form lines of worry across her forehead. "I need to know I can trust you to do your business with civility." It was a lie, Riley was armed. Though, the former athlete wondered if she could even pull the trigger without crying. For her own sake, Viv hoped she could. If her gut was right, and these thugs couldn't be trusted, then Riley would have to pull that trigger eventually.

As Walker arrived at the bridge, the woman who yelled at Riley walked out to greet him. It was a ruff greeting, if you could call it such, but he listened to what she said and understood where she was coming from. He knew she just wanted to keep her people safe. Walker unslung his shotgun, and slowly unloaded all the shells from it so as not to surprise anyone. He then handed the gun over to the woman. "You can keep it with you while I'm here if it makes you feel better. I don't think we were ever properly introduced. I'm Walker." He said and examined his surroundings. "You'd be correct in guessing I came here about our deal earlier. I guess I'll go ahead and go see Riley. I know our two groups just met hours ago, but you can believe me when I say I mean no harm to anyone here." Walker then walked over to where Riley was at her desk. He hesitated before going through the screen. "Hey Riley, its Walker here. I came back out to discuss some more details for our arrangement."

Riley
It came as a surprise to hear his voice again, and Riley looked up to see that it was indeed Walker who’d wandered over. “Oh! Hello, sorry I was just talking to Kashnir over here. Actually-“ she turned to man she had previously been talking to, offering an apologetic look. “Can we talk more later? I have to take care of some business real quick.”
Once Kashnir had left Riley gestured to the seat next to her, offering for him to sit down. “Here, you must be tired. Sit down and we can get to it.”
“What about the arrangement did you want to discuss?” She smiled at him, her face hopeful and excited. “While you’re here; I wanted to let you know I can see that you heal up just fine if you end up getting injured.”
While they spoke the pink-haired woman pulled a notebook from her desk, scribbling out notes and what not.

Walker sat down and removed his hat setting it to the side. He ran his fingers through his short hair before he continued. "Thank you, I appreciate that. Always nice to know someone will patch you up if something goes sideways." He then opened up his bag and grabbed a bottle of water and took a sip. "You'd be correct in saying I'm tired. It ain't exactly a walk in the park between here and where my group is. Even had a run in with two of those sand hornets earlier. Got one with my shotgun and my parter took out the other'n, I've had more tiring days though so its nothing new." He said studying Riley. She was easy on the eyes and had pretty blue eyes herself. This might turn out pretty good he thought to himself. "So as far as business, my boss back home has put me in charge of arranging anything concerning that wall I mentioned earlier. My understanding is that we provide water for the crops, anf get a share of them in return, and once I finish my projects back home I'll come build yall up a wall here to keep yall safe so that we can continue to trade and so on and so forth. Now I've been coming up with a plan to collect water from rain, I ain't started it yet but I have a smart fella back home looking into some research for me and once I get back with him I should have it done in a couple days. I image maybe a week give or take a day from tomorrow. Does all that sound fair?"

Lucifer 'Lu' Kashnir
Kashnir.png
Rubbing his eyes and yawning, Lu; by sheer luck, managed to bump into Riley at her little medical office. Glancing round one of the screens, he paused and took notice of the vast array of radiation supplies. 'I wonder how many hospitals have missing supplies now?' He smirk for a moment but changed it to a smile upon Riley seeing him. Giving a simple nod, he steps in and takes her offering of a seat. "Yes, I had a lovely visitor named Miss Viv come check up on me whilst I was resting. Not that I minded; she suggested I spoke to you in regards of some work." Listening to her other question, he reaches for his cap and removes it before giving his head a quick rub. "I hit my head earlier whilst travelling through a cave... long story, mind checking the back to see for any bruising?.." Leaning forwards a little, to give Riley a better look, he was caught a little off guard by Walker's sudden appearance and nearly slipped from the chair. Regaining his balance, he stood up and nodded to them both before stepping out. "I'll return in five, a little more exercise never hurt anyone.." He chuckles to himself as he places his cap back on and decides to go visit a new feature of the camp; Wiley's tent. Walking along with his hands in his pockets, Lu pondered about the stranger back at the Medical Office; 'More visitors?.. this place is getting busier by the minute.' Looking up at the bridge above him as he walked, Lu considered how long he truely wished to say here. Sure, being home would be nice but the longer he stayed; the more information he could gather and report back with. Breathing in the fresh air; as fresh as it gets in a wasteland. He hoped that a big juicy report on the Council's desk will net him more active work outside of New Seattle. Grinning at his plan, Lu didn't realise how close he had come to the tent and tripped over a peg, falling flat onto his face. 'Mental note; ask Miss Riley to check for broken nose as well.' Rubbing his face to soothe the pain after connecting face with floor, Lu reorientated himself to the opening of the tent.

"Hey, anyone in here?" Giving the door-flap a tap of his boot as he queries.

Riley
She listened intently to Walker as he spoke, alternating between studying the lines of his face and writing things down in her notebook. “I didn’t realize that was so far. It’s not much, but here- we came across a few of these on a supply run if you’d like one.” Riley pulled open one of the drawers on her desk and fished out a packaged protein bar. She offered it to him with a weak smile, wishing she had more to offer.
As he spoke about the wall, Riley’s gaze fell to the floor. “That sounds great, honestly. I think it will help us both.” She placed a hand on her ribs, remembering one of the groups they’d run into back in San Francisco.
They’d stolen something of hers; a watch. It was stupid of her to try and take it back, instead of the larger guys had grabbed her and bloodied her face. He broke her ribs next. Sometimes they still ached, but otherwise they’d healed up fine. Though, the man who beat her up got his teeth knocked out by Viv.
“I’m really grateful for the friendly faces. We haven’t run into many of those lately.”
“I don’t know how this compares to your home but it is getting dark. The sand hornets get really aggressive if you disturb them at night, and you said it was far. Do you want to sleep here?” She ran a hand through her faded pink curls, half expecting him to say no. “Just be careful about the hornets, yeah? I don’t have the resources to make any antivenom so treating their stings is difficult.”

Walker graciously accepted the protein bar, opened it and took a bite. "Thank ya, its been a minute since I ate something that didnt have a chance of poisoning me." He laughed. He looked out at the sky and noticed that it in fact had started getting dark. "If I ain't too much, I reckon I will stay here the night. I can only imagine what come crawling out once midnight hits." He noticed that she had grabbed her rib as she spoke. "Something wrong with your side?" He asked

Riley
"Yeah, it's not fun being out after dark around here." She agreed with him, a little bit relieved he wouldn't be trying to make it back in the dark.
"Huh?" When Walker pointed it out Riley had been caught up in the conversation and forgotten about the hand she'd placed on her ribs. "Oh, just an old ache. Got a few ribs of mine broken by some thugs some months back. They've healed by now though, just a bit sore every now and then." Part of her wished she had some ice to put on it, but making ice in the desert had so far escaped her. Sure there were ways, but they were all pretty complicated. It wasn't really worth the trouble for an old ache that would pass anyways.
Instead Riley clasped her hands together in her lap, not wanting to play the part of some injured little girl and seem weak. "I know how you feel about the food, we've been stretched thin trying to get our hands on enough clean water to fill our needs. Hard to keep wounds clean with dirty water, and god forbid we use any that's irradiated to clean an open wound."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back