Aegis Roleplay Manual

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
aegis_header.png

Roleplay Manual

Welcome to Aegis: Training Facility 108! This thread is the Roleplay Manual, which condenses all information about the story within a single thread for easy navigation. Please make sure to read this manual all the way through at least once while you're here in the roleplay, as it answers a lot of questions.

Table of Contents:

Last edited by a moderator:
I
Navigating the Roleplay

For those unfamiliar with RpNation or its Hosted Project feature, Aegis is set up like a miniature forum within the site. There are four forums in the Main section: There are four sections in Aegis:

Main Forum
This is where all roleplay threads go, such as the main thread, missions (also known as side plots), and other in-character events. No thread is created in here without the GM’s permission.

Out of Character
This is where all non-roleplay threads go, such as this roleplay manual, discussion threads, announcements, and polls. New player introductions are posted here as well.

Character Sheets
All profiles for characters are posted here. New characters are posted in here as a new thread, and are critiqued in the Character Critique thread, or on the Discord server. A GM will let the player know when their character has been approved. Characters that have died or their players have left the RP, will have their sheets soft-deleted by the GM or roleplay moderators.

Help Desk
This is currently a dead forum. Do not post in this forum. PM welian for questions about the RP, or for mission applications.

I
Rules and Regulations

By joining this roleplay, you agree to follow these rules, and understand that I can and will invoke my rights as Game Master to remove anyone who blatantly disregards them.

Game Master Rights
As owner and main GM of this roleplay, I hereby expressly reserve the right to remove anyone from this roleplay for any reason. I will especially remove you if you happen to be making the roleplay experience unpleasant for other people, are being unfair to others, or just drop off the face of the planet.

These rules are subject to modification as the roleplay continues, however, I will make an effort to announce when the rules have been updated.

General Guidelines
Don't be a dick to other players. This means that you should be mindful of when and where you use sarcasm, and that you should strive to be upfront with your fellow players when you disagree with something. I will not allow resentment and passive aggressive behaviors to fester in Aegis, for that's how a roleplay is destroyed.

Read everything in the thread you're in. This includes posts that aren’t directly relevant to your character, because an event may be happening twenty feet away that may be important to react to.

I will do my best to make sure that new players are given an opening to the RP, but after that it’s on you to get involved and keep your character active. Passive and reactionary characters are going to have a bad time unless you put in the effort to toss them into the fray and get them involved. I cannot help you if no one seems to notice your character, you'll have to speak up for yourself and take the initiative in moving them around.

Joining and Leaving
New players wishing to join Aegis have to go through an approval process. That approval process is highly rigorous and involves pressing the "Join This Group" button that appears on the main page of this Hosted Project. You'll probably be accepted, barring anything anything blatantly cringey, trollish, or rude in your post history.

Once you're approved, you can begin working on your first character. New players are expected to submit a character within a week or so of being approved, however, things happen and we GMs don’t mind giving extensions so long as you’re upfront and honest.

Details on character creation are in a separate post of the Manual. However, there are two key details to keep in mind - every player begins with six character creation points (CCP) and every player's first character will be a student attending the facility.

If, for any reason, you would like to drop the roleplay, please send me a message or let us know in the OOC thread so that we can work out how to write away your character. Although it's not required, it would be appreciated if you let us know why you're leaving. Players who notify me when they leave the roleplay are permitted to rejoin Aegis at a later date. Players who abandon ship without a word will not be allowed to rejoin Aegis.

Inactivity
With over forty players (the size of a small business!), I can't afford to let a few people hold up the rest of the group. Therefore, the following rules have been put in place:

If you have not posted in-character in one week, any player waiting on you is permitted to skip over you to continue the scene.

If I have not heard from you in four weeks (no messages or activity), I will send you an official PM stating that you have been dropped from the roleplay due to inactivity. You will not be allowed to rejoin the roleplay.

If you are unable to be active, but make the effort to get in contact with me to let me know, your inactivity will be forgiven. You might be dropped from the roleplay, but you will be allowed to rejoin at a later date.

Posting
This roleplay is what I’d like to called "lazy" Detailed. It means your writing must be technically accurate, with a margin of error related to how inebriated you are on a given night. Technically accurate means that your posts are in English, use full sentences, have been run through the spellchecker, has correct punctuations, and is (more or less) grammatically correct.

After that, well, it doesn't really matter how long your post is. Two or three paragraphs would be awesome, more is cool too, a single paragraph is alright so long as it's something to respond to. Basically, look at what I'm posting. If you are posting pretty much the same amount as I am, you're fine. And I'm lazy.

Your posts should be labeled with the name of your character at the top as well as their location, and I’d like you to tag people when you’re responding directly to them. Aegis is a hectic roleplay and tagging helps people see your post.

Metagaming, Godmodding, Powerplaying, and Auto-hitting
In this kind of roleplay setting, it's very easy to accidentally slip into metagaming, godmodding and other forms of powerplaying. Some explanation on these forbidden behaviors:

Metagaming is using out-of-character information from chatrooms and profiles in an in-character post that your character would not plausibly have access to. Do not do this. If you can’t explain how your character knows it, they don't get to know it. Normally this isn't an issue, but it's something I wanted to cover in a roleplay where telepathy is a perfectly valid power, and espionage makes up a good chunk of the story.​
Godmodding is playing a character to be omnipotent in some fashion. If you find yourself saying "My character could never be beaten by [blank]," then you're most likely godmodding without even realizing it.​
Powerplaying is when a character is always the most powerful or competent person in the room. Powerplaying is awful, because it turns into a pissing contest of who's stronger, faster, or edgier than everyone else. It does not contribute to the story nor character development in any fashion.​
Auto-hitting is when a player assumes that their attack landed or some other action was successful, and don't bother to give the other roleplayer a fair chance to respond. Auto-hitters will be asked to revise or delete their post, and the scene will be paused until they do so. Players should instead leave the end of any attacks open, and allow their opponent to decide the result.​
Auto-dodging is an equally infuriating phenomenon, where no matter what is thrown at a character, they seem to always escape relatively unscathed. It completely sucks the joy out of the game when other players never get a chance to feel victorious or as though their actions have lasting impact. Don't be a dick. Let your character get hit at least half the time.​

All of these things are forbidden for this roleplay. They are bad roleplay etiquette and detract from the experience for other roleplayers. Remember, you must always ask other players out-of-character for permission to do anything affecting their characters. You are never allowed to control or dictate the actions of another character without their player's permission.

Random background characters (not NPCs, as NPCs are technically the GM's characters) are acceptable targets for such actions, as are your own characters. Other players’ characters (even NPC characters) are not. Always ask first, and if they say no, do not beg them to change their mind.

I
Plot Overview

In accordance with the Super Identification and Limiter Protocol Act of 2019, any American citizen known or discovered to have the A6G23 gene, or “super” gene, must be tested for the possibility of possessing transhuman abilities (henceforth called “superpowers”).

Should the subject test positive for superpowers, they must immediately report to their nearest Commonwealth office to be ranked - a process in which the subject must display their superhuman abilities to their fullest capabilities, and are then assigned a rank based on the scope and scale of said abilities. The individual must then attend federally mandated training for controlling their powers. If their powers are deemed dangerous to the public, additional safety measures may be taken. These measures may include location tracking, regular surveillance, armed bodyguards, solitary confinement, involuntary stasis, execution, or any combination thereof.

These laws ensure that supers can safely interact with normal society on a daily basis. All citizens with powers are strongly advised to attend this training even if their powers are not considered destructive or dangerous.
Once an individual’s status as a super is made official, all government documents such as passports, and licenses will be updated with their rank. This can be found as a black circle containing one of the following letters: D, C, B, A, or S. They will be assigned a limiter, an electronic device that dampens the expression of one’s superpower to an effective D rank.

A subject is no longer required to wear a limiter if certain conditions are met:

• The subject is over the age of eighteen (18), and;
  • They have attended and received a certificate of completion from a government-authorized superpower training program, and;
  • The limiter has been worn for a full calendar year, and;
  • No high-strain incidents have been recorded during this period, which indicates sufficient control of powers over a long period of time, and;
  • The subject is not S Rank. S Ranks are the most powerful and dangerous of supers, and therefore cannot be left unsupervised.
Commonwealth also offers supers a unique opportunity: the “Blue Card”. First established in 1996, the Blue Card is the mark of a federally approved vigilante. Should a super choose to apply, they must complete a series of physical and psychological examinations, and other relevant training procedures. If approved, the applicant will be issued a Blue Card that indicates their vigilante status. This allows them to assist law enforcement, make arrests, and gives them the legal responsibility of reporting to an emergency scene, state laws and local ordinances permitting. The Blue Card may be revoked if the holder fails to show up for mandatory retraining or is found guilty of criminal activity.

Enter Aegis, the Association for the Education, Guidance, and Instruction for Supers. Founded in 2026 by former agents of Commonwealth, Aegis is an organization that seeks to organize and regulate training and safety programs for supers - especially those interested in the public service of vigilantism. Six years ago, in 2034, Aegis bought a foreclosed shipyard east of Baltimore, and converted it into a training facility - Facility 108.

This facility is now one of the multiple Commonwealth-approved locations in the nation where supers may receive guidance on controlling their powers, suppressing them in public, and take courses for their Blue Card, such as first aid, CPR training, and making citizens’ arrests.

Due to Facility 108’s proximity to the nation’s capital and the headquarters of Commonwealth, as well as its location in the Northeast Corridor, a large number of supers pass through the facility’s doors. A large number of supers pass through Facility 108’s doors, due to the population of Baltimore and the relative proximity to the nation’s capital where the headquarters of Commonwealth is located.

Some are adults who stay only a few months to receive their Blue Card. Most are teenagers who are bused in from local schools, forced to attend this “extracurricular activity” in the form of a two-hour class every weekday afternoon. This is when the facility is at its busiest, although there are certainly other classes at earlier and later times, for college students and adults.

I
Facility 108

Aegis Training Facility 108 is located in a former shipyard just east of Baltimore city limits. Although most of the old buildings have long since been gutted or razed, traces of the shipyard remain - rusted rail lines, empty dry docks, and a few cranes continue to be maintained and periodically used.

In the center of the complex is the aptly-named Main Building, a plain two-story brick box. On the first floor of Main is, of course, the main office – the den of the hawk-eyed secretary. This is also where the facility director’s office is located, as well as a small board room for meetings with instructors.

Further down the hallway is the library. It’s a bit small, and the books are mostly related to history, politics, and superpowers – however, there are several tables and chairs for studying, and dark corners for illicit encounters.

The last major part of the first floor (unless you count the broom closet or the boiler room) is the cafeteria, the kingdom of lukewarm soup and soggy sandwiches. Its only redeeming quality is the coffee vending machine.

The second floor of Main is classrooms – plain classrooms, with cinderblock walls, cheap tables and plastic chairs. Unlike normal classrooms, however, there is a panic button by each door, and a chemical shower in the corner. Clearly, accidents happen even in the most innocuous of settings.

Along the east side of the complex, overlooking the harbor, is the gymnasium. Some people call it Hell. They aren’t wrong. The gym is little more than a warehouse, storing the ashes of incinerated hopes, dreams, and self-esteem. It also has the training tools for the more… hands-on courses at Aegis. Students are not allowed in the gym unsupervised, unless they want to end up at…

The clinic. The smallest of the three buildings on campus, and the source of many ominous moans during off-hours. Oh, sure, it’s normal enough when you go in – a waiting room, the nurse’s desk, a big first aid kit mounted on the wall, and a mini-fridge for medicine, with a pair of cots and a full bathroom in the back. But it’s underground that you have to be weary of: the containment cells. The last resort for those absolutely unable to control themselves.

You don’t want to end up there. It only ends badly.

Maps
Main Building, First Floor

1w0HuZ_xml9obgjUYUvuWvxK6vJZKPKhPbuJTY7SnxrmMOi2be9ynYTjuBHKa3M8XoNwLNPo10M5lAdRNMbo5NGFIbJjQN3gJGH9zVRKEWeE299UHUfZMqPQBmAaeZE40ybEnUC4

Main Building, Second Floor

WXRzSBk9tYc_qd3LhJecjFWSq9DFlJvDThy__Z4ezyc3sO1fQewLKhNOh5xJPF3x0rQXk09tb01DI3sKo_NB6dD55htlC2AWctBdknOwX0NhF4WwzMvS_yGXlwa55fhV_glU4XGU

Gymnasium

duZnxlLRgssW1W9fj9iNuU6T_05WcL93A4mhfkxbYDmheYCsRYOdcXhiowMOFgqc4s8N9OJX5-iefdT_dUMEIHJkAbq7ZbW4TVoB0WWs1XKAzePuEKYhmsT7fu_NI0FzS2C_H4fh

Classes
Facility 108 offers eight basic courses for SILPA compliance training. Every super who passes through Facility 108 must pass each course before they are considered compliant with federal laws. Not every student, however, will need to take every class. Some may be considered non-applicable based on the nature of that student's power. On the other hand, some students may need to take a particular course several times over before the Facility considers them to have acceptable levels of self-control.

Collateral Damage and You

This course is about environmental awareness – minimizing the impact of your powers on the area around you, and preventing the destruction of public and private property.​
Emotional Composure
Many powers are affected by the emotional state of the user. This training course emphasizes keeping your emotions in check and maintaining a calm emotional composure in stressful situations.​
Mental Discipline
Concentration and focus are key components of mentally-controlled powers. Students will train in ignoring distractions, improving analytical skills, and controlling their mental ability.​
Physical Discipline
This training course encourages students to test and explore the limits of their physical abilities - and then never approach them again. Improper use of force can easily kill or maim a civilian.​
Political Powers
A history course that covers modern history's attitude toward supers, and current legislation, issues, and events that involve supers and their political status.​
How Not to Kill
A self-defense course that focuses mainly on defusing situations and subduing opponents without ever actually having to use one's powers. Sometimes powers get used anyways.​
First Aid Training
Widely considered to be the most normal of all Aegis courses. A standard first aid training course, with a little more focus on topics such as brainwashing, impalement, reattaching severed limbs, and delivering babies in taxi cabs.​
Community Service
All Aegis students - not just those interested in obtaining a Blue Card - must complete several hours of community service. These excursions are an opportunity for students to practice their powers in the ‘real world’ for the public good, without causing too much damage.​

Class Schedule
On workdays, there are three sessions of class offered. The morning session runs from 9 to 11am. The afternoon session runs from 3 to 5pm. The evening session runs from 7 to 9pm. On Saturdays, a long morning session is run from 10am to 2pm. There are no class sessions offered on Sunday.

Last edited:
I
World Setting

Welcome to the United States of America. The year is 2040. Humans with unusual abilities have existed since history has been recorded – witches, warlocks, prophets, shamans, figures of legendary strength and fortitude peppered throughout history were, more likely than not, what we would now call supers. These supers are not as rare as we once thought, either.

Approximately one tenth of the entire human population carries a gene that, if expressed properly, will allow that person to develop powers. Even before Gregor Mendel came along with his fancy pea plants and “genetics” hocus pocus, this phenomenon had been studied for centuries throughout the world by those wishing to understand the nature of these powers and the deeper mysteries of the universe – and by those who saw great potential for magnificent profits and power.

In the twentieth century, there were massive movements for equal rights for all sorts of minorities – a smaller one, though no less important to the people it involved, was for the rights of supers. As you might have expected, they had their own issues.

They wanted society to be aware that yes, they were people with extraordinary abilities, but they were people all the same: people that weren’t obligated to use their powers in any particular way, people who sometimes needed extra accommodations even though they weren’t disabled, people who were often falsely accused of things because of their powers, people who wanted to be treated like normal people despite their extraordinary abilities.

The Rise and Fall of Commonwealth

An organized push for super’s rights led to the creation of a federal government agency called Commonwealth in the 1980s. Their mission was simple and well-intentioned – register all supers within the United States, stay in contact with them, and help them keep their powers under control.

In the mid-90s, Commonwealth created the Blue Card system as a workaround against illegal vigilantism. Adult supers were invited to sign up and participate in this “legal vigilantism” program. They could register under an alias and be granted special citizen’s arrest privileges if they vowed to work for Commonwealth under an extended contract.

With this policy, Commonwealth slowly morphed into a law enforcement agency for super-related crime, and throughout the next thirty years, it became of a jack-of-all trades division – legislators saw it far easier to just assign anything remotely super-related to Commonwealth, since they already had the database and the on-hand experience to deal with such things. It wasn’t a bad arrangement – many supers considered Commonwealth a safe ally, with steady employment for those with powers, which kept them from working in traditional environments.

However, after the Great Recession of 2008, Commonwealth’s budget shrank as more money went to overseas military operations. The then-director, codenamed Librarian, deemed it necessary to bring in money himself. He authorized medical and genetic research within Commonwealth’s own walls, negotiated with other research labs around the country, and somewhat commercialized the sanctioned vigilantes by setting up dues and license fees.

It was not the worst move ever, nor the best. The Librarian’s new policies did increase income for the agency and its operations, but it also became widely regarded as the beginning of the end of Commonwealth. In 2015, there was a schism within the agency. Many internal investigations were conducted, several people were fired, and the co-director, codenamed Red, left Commonwealth. He disappeared completely not long after, along with many other former agents.

In addition to this fiasco, previously classified documents were anonymously released to the world, and they revealed that the Librarian had been pushing for massive research and ethically dubious genetic experiments. Much of the information was redacted and blacked out, but the horrific details were still there – pipe dreams that flew in the face of ethics, with phrases such as: “artificial supers”, “parasitic symbiosis with enigma energy”, “reversal of entropy”, “extraterrestrial colonization”, and, perhaps worst of all in the eyes of Americans, was “exclusive, scientific trade deals with Russia”.

The Rapture Incident

In 2018, while Commonwealth was wading through the toxic dump of their own dirty laundry, a domestic terrorist group attacked their headquarters in the nation’s capital. Bleeding money, resources, trust, and literal blood, Commonwealth was unable to defend themselves from the bombing and subsequent raid by Rapture, a terrorist organization. The only thing they could boast was a surprisingly low body count (it helped a hospital was next door), and that most damage was collateral in nature. However, many key files were found to be missing from the labs, with their backups destroyed or stolen.

The threat of domestic warfare was just enough for Commonwealth to cling to life, as Rapture continued to undo them at every turn, right down to subduing and capturing one of their own illegal experiments that had run amok in the heart of DC. The defeat was systemic, calculated, and ruthless – and when Rapture finally broke into the secret laboratories of Commonwealth and freed the all the test subjects, it was the final nail in a twisted, broken coffin. Specifically, the Librarian’s coffin. His body was never found.

Victorious, Rapture disappeared into the night. They became one of the greatest mysteries of the modern world, an anti-establishment, anti-corruption band of paramilitary heroes. Unless you were the establishment, in which case they were ruthless, bloodthirsty terrorists, who desecrated American values of justice, peaceful transitions of power, and nearly unraveled the country for something that could have been solved much more efficiently if it were brought before, say, a proper court of law.

A Second Chance

After the defeat of Commonwealth, the remains of the agency were purged. There was precisely one reason, and one reason only that Commonwealth wasn’t completely dissolved: Congress passed a bill called SILPA, or the “Super Identification and Limiter Protocol Act”. Commonwealth was the only agency with an even remotely comprehensive understanding of how many supers there were in the country, how their powers worked, and how to locate them.

For almost a decade, Commonwealth acted as a skeleton agency, a puppet of Congress as SILPA rolled out and almost all supers were made to wear limiters that would artificially dampen their powers in public spaces. Additionally, as part of the bill, supers were made to take part in federally mandated training courses to prove that they would not be a danger to other civilians. Several private contractors were hired to help meet this goal, setting up training courses in private facilities and issuing certificates of safety and Blue Cards on behalf of Commonwealth.

The Beginning of Aegis

One such contractor was a company founded by ex-Commonwealth employees. It was called the Association for the Education, Guidance, and Instruction of Supers, shortened to and named after the Aegis, the mysterious protective artifact from the Iliad.

What the founders of Aegis lacked in educational experience and business training, they more than made up for with field experience and intimate familiarity with the inner machinations of the government. Aegis thus developed a reputation for producing bold and skillful, if undisciplined, vigilantes. Eventually, reality hit the organization, and Aegis was sold to a wealthy businessman named Gergo Elek. With Mr. Elek’s business skills and bountiful patronage, Aegis slowly became a decently large company with several facilities established across the East Coast where supers attain SILPA compliance. Our story takes place in one of these very facilities – Aegis Training Facility 108 (the 108th facility), located in Baltimore, Maryland.

Commonwealth’s Renaissance

Approximately ten years after SILPA was passed, Congress reluctantly relinquished control of the Commonwealth agency. They chose a hardened federal cop to lead it, a bull-headed and stone-faced woman named Scarlet Chernov. The powers of the Commonwealth director are laughable now, but it continues to be the only agency that’s even remotely capable of deploying a semi-competent team to neutralize a rogue super. And, as always, the Blue Card system continues lumbering on, allowing supers to try to prove that they aren’t dangerous weapons of mass destruction after all.

So far, Facility 108 has not been helping with that image.

Present Day

Advancements in technology, frequently led by hyper-intelligent supers, has led to a modern American society in which cybernetics are feasible, albeit expensive, solutions for prosthetic limbs. The once-underground transhuman movement has become quite popular, with many “normies” feeling that elective cybernetic enhancements are the only way to level the playing field between normal human beings, and supers. The fields of robotics and artificial intelligence have made leaps and bounds, with multiple universities and corporations putting forth experimental androids for testing.

After twenty years of SILPA, the super registration system seems to be working well. The name “Commonwealth” still leaves a bad taste in many people’s mouths, but the current administration is keen on turning over a new leaf by way of an aggressive public outreach program. This would highlight how safe and sane medical studies featuring super-powered volunteers contribute to scientific progressive across multiple fields of study. They also show how supers are unique individuals with unique abilities that help make society a brighter place. The Director personally finds the ad campaign to be vomit-inducing, and much prefers her latest pet project of quietly tracking former Rapture rebels.

Of great concern to the super community, however, is a rising trend in anti-super sentiment, which is possibly inspired by Commonwealth’s historic unpopularity. The face of this trend seems to be a wanna-be domestic terrorist group called the Knights of Raguel. Unlike Rapture, however, they indiscriminately target any supers. They lead occasionally-successful social media brigades, howling about the status quo and proper society being destroyed by supers. No one took them seriously until the Knights drew first blood at Owens Mill Mall.
Official Episode Synopses

The following blog entries are official synopses of the roleplay by episode. New players are not expected to read the entire thing, scrolling to the TL;DR at the bottom of each post is sufficient.

I
Mechanics

At this point in time, the only dice-like mechanics Aegis has is the character creation stat system, which is not used for combat. All combat in the roleplay is typed out free-form, which means that it’s of utmost importance to communicate with your fellow players. In the event of a dispute that cannot be resolved quickly, the GMs will step in and use the character stats to make a decision for the players.

Aside from that, there are a few basic rules to keep in mind regarding powers and how they work (which will be further elaborated upon in the Character Creation section).

Genetics determine if a character has powers. Artificial powers do not (successfully) exist in this setting. If they do not have the super gene, they will never develop superpowers. Even if they do have the gene, it may not activate. Many people go their entire lives without realizing they could have powers.

Both nature and nurture play into what kind of superpowers will develop. It’s unlikely for the same exact superpower to present in multiple members of a family, though an entire family of supers will generally have the same broad type of powers. A person’s powers will be influenced by their lifestyle. Particularly intense events (life events, accidents, betrayals, hallucinogenics) will likely have the largest effect on what kind of power develops. Unfortunately, this means a striking number of supers whose powers activated due to a singular event may also have some degree of PTSD related to their powers.

Stats are not recognized in-character. They are an out-of-character mechanism for keeping overpowered characters in check and preventing

Ranks are an in-character mechanism. They are canonically assigned by Commonwealth when a super has been identified and brought in for testing. A super’s rank is based on a combination of factors, including raw destructive potential, expanse of the ability, degree of control, and disruption to the super’s own health and well-being.

Restricted Superpowers

Technically speaking, this universe is a lot like comic books - every kind of superpower imaginable could exist! But this is a roleplay, and a game, and that means I need to keep things fair and balanced which unfortunately means nerfing a lot of cool stuff. The following specific superpowers are prohibited or restricted:

Resurrection: Death is permanent in this roleplay. Although, Jesus was a super in this setting and raised Lazarus from the dead, and Rasputin is still laughing his immortal ass off somewhere, we don’t get to play the likes of them in this story (see the above point about balancing the roleplay and keeping the field fair).

Necromancy: When used like resurrection, necromancy is a prohibited power. However, exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis, if the GMs feel that you’ve outlined proper limitations (such as how many bodies the character can control and for how long, and how sentient they are).

Altering Reality: Any powers affecting reality on a large scale are prohibited. Exceptions can be made for small-scale powers that only affect the user or nearby people, such as temporary dimensions, or affecting probability.

Altering Time: Too many irons in the fire. No.

Powers that alter or affect other powers: These will be examined on a case-by-case basis. The most common examples are amplifying or dampening someone else’s superpowers. It might not seem like an issue, but it falls under potential godmodding abuse. Only players who demonstrate a history of respecting boundaries and playing fair will be permitted to have these powers.

I
Character Creation

Character Creation Notes
It's suggested that new players begin with a character who has recently grown into their superpower, and/or has trouble controlling it. This gives your first character a solid reason to be at the training facility, interact with other characters there, and explore the world with a fresh sense of discovery as you catch up on current events. If you'd rather not play a student then feel free to bounce ideas around in the OOC thread or in the AEGIS discord channel. It's important for characters to have some kind of tie to the school though, since it is a major plot piece as far as settings go. As an example it would be difficult to incorporate a character who works as a prison guard into the typical scope of occurrences that happen at Facility 108.

The profile code can be found in and copied from the spoiler at the bottom of this post. Once completed make a thread for your character in the Character Sheet Forum with the title being the last name of the character followed by the initial of their first name, all capitalized like so: DANIELS, J. Once that's done post in the Character Critique Thread linking your profile for review. After any suggestions or concerns have been addressed, either through the critique thread or the AEGIS discord channel, you should be all set to go! Please be patient while waiting on reviews though, as we all have lives outside of RPN.

Character Ranks & Stats

In descending order from the strongest to the weakest the ranks are as follows: S > A > B > C > D > E

You're free to make characters of any rank. However, only one S-rank character is allowed per player, and it's preferred that this slot is not used for a new player's first character. Also, as a character's rank increases be mindful of keeping them balanced with power limitations and personal flaws. For the amount of ability stats you can play, with per rank, refer to this helpful chart below. For another point of reference, normal human capabilities fall between the 1-3 range for stats, and E for rank. If you don't want to play a super then the highest any ability stat should be is 3, barring energy which should be a 1. For clarification on what the energy stat is used for, it's to represent creating something from nothing, considered the equivalent of mana from fantasy settings.

Sy2sbsr.png

Limiters: To prevent accidents from occurring supers are typically required to wear devices called limiters, which weaken a person's powers down to D-rank levels. These can be crafted into a variety of aesthetic and practical choices if you're not a fan of the old metal bracelet design. Some supers have watches or jewellery that house their limiters. These should not be items that could fall off by accident, obviously. Limiters have varying levels as well. For every rank above D, a super's limiter gets raised a level to compensate. A C-rank super would have a level 1 limiter, and so on until you reach S-ranks with their level 4 limiters.

Power Creation: Try to avoid powers that lean towards the supernatural in explanation. Suspension of disbelief is a thing here, but for the most part, we're trying to avoid things that have to be explained by excessive hand-waving and magic. Feel free to browse other character sheets for examples of what's been accepted so far, or bounce ideas around with other players for inspiration.

LASTNAME, FIRSTINITIAL (ex: SMITH, B.)

blank_profile_picture_973460_960_720.png
  • Heroism Statistics
    AspectScaleTotal
    Courage▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Altruism▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Order▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Kindness▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Proaction▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Diplomacy▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Composure▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Ability Statistics
    AspectScaleTotal
    Health▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Strength▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Defense▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Agility▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Intelligence▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Willpower▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00
    Energy▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱00

[row][sh]LASTNAME, FIRSTINITIAL (ex: SMITH, B.)[/sh][divide][/divide][row]
[column=span2][IMG]https://s26.postimg.cc/yv8bl4b9l/blank_profile_picture_973460_960_720.png[/IMG][/column][column=span6][Tabs]
[Tab=Stats][column=span4][table=none][tr][th=3]Heroism Statistics[/th][/tr]
[tr][th]Aspect[/th][th]Scale[/th][th]Total[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Courage[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Altruism[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Order[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kindness[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Proaction[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Diplomacy[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Composure[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr][/table]
[/column][column=span4][table=none][tr][th=3]Ability Statistics[/th][/tr]
[tr][th]Aspect[/th][th]Scale[/th][th]Total[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Health[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Strength[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Defense[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Agility[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Intelligence[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Willpower[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Energy[/td][td]▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱[/td][td]00[/td][/tr][/table]
[/column][/Tab]

[Tab=General][B]Full Name[/B]
Bob Frank Smithington III, or something

[B]Nicknames[/B]
Bobby, Frankfurter, B.S.

[B]Codename[/B]
If unassigned, type "N/A"

[B]Gender[/B]
Male, female, or whatever

[B]Age[/B]
Blankity blank years

[B]Rank[/B]
D/C/B/A/S Rank

[B]Limiter[/B]
(In)Active, Level 1/2/3/4

[B]Role[/B]
Student/Teacher/Faculty (Subject taught or faculty position)[/Tab]

[Tab=Appearance][B]Race[/B]
Race/nationality

[B]Hair[/B]
Hair color

[B]Eyes[/B]
Eye color

[B]Height[/B]
Height in feet and inches because this is goddamn 'Murica

[B]Figure[/B]
Description of the character's body type, weight in pounds (optional)

[B]Notes[/B]
Any other physical features worth mentioning, such as tattoos, scars, spiky or flamey bits, etc.[/Tab]

[Tab=Biography][B]Positive Personality Trait[/B]
List a positive personality trait, and a short description (no more than five sentences) of how your character displays this trait.

[B]Neutral Personality Trait[/B]
List a neutral personality trait, and a short description (no more than five sentences) of how your character displays this trait.

[B]Neutral Personality Trait[/B]
List a neutral personality trait, and a short description (no more than five sentences) of how your character displays this trait.

[B]Negative Personality Trait[/B]
List a negative personality trait (aka a character flaw), and a short description (no more than five sentences) of how your character displays this trait.

[B]History[/B]
A concise summary of your character's backstory; ideally focusing on things like how they came into their powers, how their powers have affected their life, why they are attending or are employed at Facility 108 (the Baltimore location, as opposed to some other location), and recent life events.[/Tab]

[Tab=Relationships][B]Other Character's Name[/B]
Description of relationship with said character[/Tab]

[Tab=Superpower][B]Primary Power[/B]
Your characters primary power. If it cannot be described in two short paragraphs, or without linking to the superpower wiki, or without referencing a copyrighted character, it is not simple enough to be acceptable for this roleplay. The best powers for this story are those that can be explained in layman's terms and follow an internally consistent set of rules and limitation.

[LIST]
[*][B]Supporting Power[/B]: Your character may have up to two sub-powers if needed. They are not required, especially if the character already has simple and straightforward powers.

[*][B]Supporting Power[/B]: These powers are passive abilities that supplement the main power - for example, an elemental character being immune to their own element. These abilities must be related to and support the main power.
[/LIST]

[B]Limitations[/B]
List and describe at [I]least[/I] three limits of your character's power, including any 'rules' it follows, such as being ineffective on certain targets or past a certain distance. Use bullet points to keep each limitation clearly separate and organized. Remember, it's just as important to know where a power ends as well as where it begins. You may add as many limitations as you like, but you must not have less than three. [I]Limitations not related to your character's superpower belong in the Skills and Flaws section.[/I]

[LIST]
[*][B]Limit[/B]: Explanation

[/LIST]
[/Tab]

[Tab=Skills and Flaws]A list of non-superpower (mundane) skills and flaws that your character has. Mundane skills include knowledge such as first-aid training, cooking, paleontology, etc. Mundane flaws include physical disabilities, or expanded information on negative personality traits such as gullibility, clumsiness, vanity, etc.

Keep in mind that your character's superpowers might affect some of their normal skills, for example, we all expect hyper-intelligent supers to have more knowledge-related skills in this list than the average character. However, these skills and flaws should all be things that your character could lose their powers, and still retain.

All characters should have at least two skills and two flaws.

[B]Skill[/B]: Description

[B]Skill[/B]: Description

[B]Flaw[/B]: Description

[B]Flaw[/B]: Description
[/Tab]

[Tab=Tools & Weapons]Formerly known as the Augmentations tab, it has now been renamed to Tools and Weapons, and will contain exactly what it says - a running list of tools or weapons that your character carries on them and uses along with/instead of superpowers.

[B]Item[/B]: [[I]Augmentation/Tool/Weapon[/I]] Description

[B]Item[/B]: [[I]Augmentation/Tool/Weapon[/I]] Description

[B]Item[/B]: [[I]Augmentation/Tool/Weapon[/I]] Description[/Tab]

[Tab=Gallery]Although there is now a spot for a character image (since most of you have one), the Gallery tab remains as an area for you to post additional images, theme songs, and so on.[/Tab][/Tabs][/column][/row][/row]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back