Advice/Help Advice needed for d&d rp.

VideogameRper

I'm a player character in a campaign where all the gods are trying to kill one god. That one god is another player character's deity. The gods wanted my character to kill the other character for awhile but my character couldn't. Also, the gods wouldn't tell my character why they hated the other god or why the other PC had to die besides she worships that god. I'm currently making a shady deal with a mysterious stranger for a machine to disconnect this other PC from her god but this mysterious stranger has more information about the god all gods hate. However, the stranger won't give up the information freely. It wants details about the other PC's that could get them killed. In game my character has wanted to know this information for 5 years but never found out anything. What do I do? She values her friends lives but if the information is worth the risk? Is the one over the many approach better or the many over the one? Help!

That is a tough question, I guess that in the end it boils down to what your character would do so any advice given by other people not familiar with the character isn't worth much.

That said, I personally probably wouldn't take the offer purely to avoid any potential out of character drama.

That is a tough question, I guess that in the end it boils down to what your character would do so any advice given by other people not familiar with the character isn't worth much.

That said, I personally probably wouldn't take the offer purely to avoid any potential out of character drama.
The other player character's are all for the drama! Lol I'm pretty much the only one who is torn about this decision.

Well, then if nobody minds it I'd probably go for it.
This blurb is for other people looking to weigh in as well. For some context, my character has been through multiple class changes. Narratively, she was trying to figure out where she belonged. As for me, I was trying to figure out what I liked as a player, as this campaign was my first. She was initially a bard, the paladin of redemption turned paladin of vengeance and Hexblade warlock, then complete hex warlock, and finally a wild magic barbarian.

My character enjoyed her faith but struggled with finding redeemable qualities in their enemies. She became a vengeance and Hexblade warlock because the party was being sold into slavery. My character worships Bahamut, and that campaign arc was dedicated to killing a warlord of Tiamat. The patron she had as a warlock was a lesser deity under Bahamut's umbrella, a character from a previous campaign. The character was a zealot barbarian before he died.

At the end of that arc, another player character changed their patron/god to another homebrew god from the same previous campaign that the DM created. My character told her patron/god about the switch and the suspicious gifts from the other character's new god. My patron/god wanted my character to kill the other character. My character didn't kill the other character in a five-year time skip. They start working together again after the skip, and the expectation is to kill the other character during their reunion.

My character tries to kill the other character, but I roll garbage. So, taking it as a sign, my character ditches her patron to find a better way. Fast forward, my god returns to my character and pleads to my nature – showing her visions of the future where the world is terrible, and the world is good. The ideal world is with the other character being dead. The lousy world is with the other character being alive. (Hellfire and death)

During these visions, my character agrees to help her god. Later, my character figures out the visions might have been from different timelines, not her immediate future. It was confirmed by the other party members that they might have experienced the same thing, just with different gods approaching them. So, my character confronts her god about this. Bahamut never confirms this, but my character convinced him she would instead turn the other character away from her god. (As a side note, all the other player's love the drama.)

As a last resort, she would kill the other player's character. While talking to her god, she discovers that this homebrew god is an aberration – a cosmic horror eldritch god. It was formally mortal before it found a space horror that made it a god. Bahamut says mortals can't handle 'Truth.' That the 'truth' can drive people insane.

This was the case for this homebrew god. The last time it was in power, it had the entire continent against it. The heroes, kingdoms, and dragons charged against it and waged a horrific war. Here is some direct Q&A from the campaign about this eldritch god:

"How did it come by its powers? It learned enough to find that which should not be found. Did it steal its powers from a god? No, not a god. But an entity or a concept. Something akin to becoming a physical embodiment of an emotion or concept, such as anger or, in its case, hunger. It does not require followers, and a Cleric is unnecessary; for it to demand to be called a friend or at least not a god is strange, but again it's mad. That thing is still mortal, yet its soul is immortal like all living things. It has found a way to curse the universe's rules and laws. Whatever 'Truth' it learned has allowed it to be what it is, a mortal with god-like power--filled with all the flaws and weaknesses of a mortal. Mortals should never know what divinity knows and never wield the power of divinity. Their attachment to the material plane clouds judgment."

Bahamut allowed my character to come in contact with a mysterious stranger with a device to disconnect individuals from their gods. However, upon meeting this stranger, my character discovers it is only for a short time and not indefinitely. She agrees to use the device regardless as she will have time to talk to the other character without her god knowing what they are saying and maybe kill her. My character asked this stranger if they knew anything about the past, and they did. They are playing a game of question for question.

The stranger wants to know intimate details about their party, who they love, and where they live. This information could be sold and used against the party later (However, the stranger's information confirms what I know as a player. So it's legit.)

My question: Why was the war started?

Answer: The god purposefully provoked them all.

Their question: who do you love?

My answer: The party.

My question: What is his original name? - I know the god had a different name than what he calls himself now.

Their answer: Kellsworth, congrats on now being damned. - It was implied anyone who knows the mad god's name would be smited for knowing it.

Their question: Who does another character love?

My answer: their love interest. - their love interest is pretty much insane and loves to explode things. Their mother is also a seer. So, I felt they are pretty much good.

My question: Why did he purposefully provoke the continent into war against him?

Answer: He wanted to kill himself.

Their question: where do you all live?

I have to give this stranger where we live regardless however, should I keep going? As a player, I know why the god wanted to kill himself. He wanted to split himself away from his mortal side which, we as a party have met that character. However, we don't know that was what happened. Is that information worth knowing?

If I keep playing this game, what other questions would be worth asking?

We don't know anything about this gods current motivations but this character didn't know about this god being "alive" again to start.

Advice thoughtful questions would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back