Advice/Help Advice for an aspiring GM

SpectrumCrow

Roleplay Type(s)
I have a couple small ideas for fandom centered group RPs, but I have no clue where to begin as I've never ran a roleplay before! Any advice is appreciated! I know I should come up with a basic plot before anything, but that's about all I've got. Some may be slice of life while others more story/adventure driven, so advice for both would be very helpful.

Thank you all in advance! c:

1. Set aside time to monitor the roleplay. Being a GM is a bit like being a manager, your job is not to supervise and keep things on track. So if you aren’t one to feel comfortable talking to people when they break rules or get unruly, get a mod who can do it for you. A mod can also help keep an eye on the thread when your away doing IRL stuff.

2. Come up with clear expectation for the following ;
- how often players post
- what kind of characters are allowed
- consequences for being a dick or breaking the rules
- what happens when people ghost

3. Post Schedules
So groups deal a lot with having different schedules. You don’t want only two people who post once an hour to over take your story. So make a specific window when people are allowed to post.

Some GMs have a post order so like Player A posts, then Player B posts, than Player C and so on.

Others will do post groups. Ask your players what their time zone is and when they’re available to post. Then put people with similar availability in groups that all post at the same time. And just make sure all groups have the chance to post for eqch scene before time skipping

(Continues)

4. Inactive Players
So if a person is going to be gone for awhile (or simply stops posting) you need a policy to deal with this that is clearly displayed when people join.

When I did groups I had players post once a week. If a player was gone for two weeks they would get a heads up. If they didn’t respond in about three days their character was written out of the action by me. (if someone knew they were gonna be gone I just asked them to write their character out of the action before they left)

5. Time Skip/Mini Missions
So to keep a roleplay moving forward you need to come up with a schedule for time skips. You can alter this based on how active your players are but I started out time skipping every week (when players posted once a week).

I would post in the OOC a few days before I skipped forward.

Now how I planned time skip is I would break the narrative into mini missions.

So if it’s a set plot line I would break it into connecting steps. If it’s slice of life I would come up with activities for players to do.

Don't post elaborate scenes unless its to set up ambience. Players don't like reading in media res battle scenes that they can't interact with and will most likely skip them.

You lost me at Fandom. But look, this is the easiest form of RP to create and run. All the work is done for you. There's already a following and established canon.

It's hard to mess it up unless you don't know the source material intimately.

You lost me at Fandom. But look, this is the easiest form of RP to create and run. All the work is done for you. There's already a following and established canon.

It's hard to mess it up unless you don't know the source material intimately.
How does having prestablished lore make it easier unless you have no respect for the source material? Also how does canon lore help with making an rp unless you're literally following a series step by step?

+1 to having clear rules and expectations. Super important!

A really good GM is just a really good leader which I think plays heavily into how many roleplays sink vs swim. The worst GMs from memory let players walk all over them without interjection. It leads to confusion and discouragement, which inevitably kills the game. So just talk to people directly if you have questions or criticism. Put your foot down against backpacking -- when people try to talk for you -- and when your rules are broken, especially regarding activity if you have a clear "deadline" for posts. Having an place where people can express ideas before executing would also help.

Honestly, GM-ing without a posse is kind of an image game. I would play the nice guy until you need to get assertive. Don't snark at weird ideas or come across as strict through your rules. Be concise too.

I would also suggest making any and all of your supporting characters well-rounded and memorable. From my little GM-ing experience, people adored NPCs. They honestly carried my shitty games, haha. Don't just have "The Headmaster," "The Drill Sergeant," "The Contractor." Avoid cliches wherever you can; give each one dialogue ticks, preferences, biases, and unique flaws. Flavor and engaging writing is a must as a GM.

*And before I pass out, clarify where and, in some ways, how the rp is starting during the interest-gaining/character-making phase. Vast majority of the time, players are going to expect a humble, "we-meet-in-a-tavern" start, so if you're going to immediately make their characters the sole survivors of a plane crash within your first post... foreshadow that.

Mercer's a really good DM; this "GM Tips" series covers tabletop DM-ing but I think the ideas on player-characters and narrative-writing can apply to any type of rp.

Last edited:
How does having prestablished lore make it easier unless you have no respect for the source material? Also how does canon lore help with making an rp unless you're literally following a series step by step?

Because it has already been created and established for you... You don't have to sit down and create something from nothing. You don't have to package that something up in order to sell it, because it already has a body of fans who already know the Who, What, When, Where and Why.

It's easier to have established canon, because it's already established... No seriously, it's ready-made for you. Respect for it is secondary to the fact that someone has done all of your developmental work ahead of time. And there are hundreds of thousands of others who know that same canon and understand it.

How is a fandom RP not the easiest project you can possibly do? Perhaps try explaining why it's harder than creating and selling something from scratch??

If I was to start a Star Wars, [Disney's] Marvel, or Pokemon RP tomorrow, I would have my pick of players. All of whom would be inherently more invested in that concept than any of my own projects. These are universes people are already in love with. They already want to be a part of it.

All you have to do is not be a cringelord about the plot concept, and you're golden.

Last edited:
One advice to being a godmodder, is just to make sure people follow the rules and not be a bit of a total.. Bitch...
Another word of advice is to be patient when you post, even though there might be people watching the thread, they might not say anything
Last word, never take the plot and make huge plot holes out of it. Plot holes is when there are smaller plots tied up to the bigger plot, try to keep it down to at least one plot at a time

Because it has already been created and established for you... You don't have to sit down and create something from nothing. You don't have to package that something up in order to sell it, because it already has a body of fans who already know the Who, What, When, Where and Why.

It's easier to have established canon, because it's already established... No seriously, it's ready-made for you. Respect for it is secondary to the fact that someone has done all of your developmental work ahead of time. And there are hundreds of thousands of others who know that same canon and understand it.

How is a fandom RP not the easiest project you can possibly do? Perhaps try explaining why it's harder than creating and selling something from scratch??

If I was to start a Star Wars, [Disney's] Marvel, or Pokemon RP tomorrow, I would have my pick of players. All of whom would be inherently more invested in that concept than any of my own projects. These are universes people are already in love with. They already want to be a part of it.

All you have to do is not be a cringelord about the plot concept, and you're golden.

Because fandom does not mean you are using the pre-establishes information.

For instance I regularly do Harry Potter roleplays and unless your literally just doing “Students go to Hogwarts OR OCs fight Voldemort” you are going to have to do some degree of world building to flesh out your plot.

No one is saying it’s not hard to make something up from scratch. They’re just saying that assuming any roleplay is a walk in the park is condescending. Because unless your doing the bare minimum in terms of world building/plot creation than you are going to have to put a lot of work in regardless of whether it’s fandom or original.

Regardless, it's Harry Potter. You probably still use a lot of the canon and lore. Otherwise, you'd just create something, right? Why commit to Harry Potter then turn around and say, "But we're not really using Harry Potter material for this." That makes no sense.

So instead of creating a world with magic, you use H.P.'s world and magic. Things like spells, the patronus, houses of magic, all of that is ready-made for you, and most people showing interest in a Potter RP, will have a firm grasp on it already in place.

You're not getting what I'm saying, at all.

How is that supposed to help this op make a plot for his players thats engaging and rewarding?

Regardless, it's Harry Potter. You probably still use a lot of the canon and lore. Otherwise, you'd just create something, right? Why commit to Harry Potter then turn around and say, "But we're not really using Harry Potter material for this." That makes no sense.

So instead of creating a world with magic, you use H.P.'s world and magic. Things like spells, the patronus, houses of magic, all of that is ready-made for you, and most people showing interest in a Potter RP, will have a firm grasp on it already in place.

You're not getting what I'm saying, at all.

All roleplays take work. I have done original groups and I have done fandom groups. And I can assure you they take the exact same amount of work and luck.

For that matter the things that made them successful worked in both cases.

How is that supposed to help this op make a plot for his players thats engaging and rewarding?

Not what I was speaking to.

All roleplays take work. I have done original groups and I have done fandom groups. And I can assure you they take the exact same amount of work and luck.

For that matter the things that made them successful worked in both cases.

Yes. And on that scale of work, Fandoms take the least amount.

Let me put this in a way anyone can understand.

Fandom RPs are the easiest to recruit for, and maintain interest in because it's a FANDOM.

Agree to disagree, it's 2020. Reality is subjective.

Fandom RPs are the easiest to recruit for, and maintain interest in because it's a FANDOM.

You're right, shouting always helps people understand and agree with your point. 🤷‍♀️

I beg to differ, I honestly don't shout, yet they take the frigging point...
(My opinion, which honestly no one cares...;-; )

I disagree. Respect for the fandom and meeting everyone's expectations is what makes it pretty diffucult. I dont care about your fluff when it doesnt address my point.

Again as someone who actually does do fandom role plays I can assure you they aren’t any easier than original role plays to get off the ground. That’s not my opinion that’s reality.

Not all fandoms are equally popular. Even among popular fandoms not all storylines are equally popular. So no it’s not “easier” to recruit and maintain interest just because you set your roleplay in an established world.

The two most successful role plays I have been in where an X-men roleplay and an Original Animal hybrid roleplay.

The thing that made the two role plays last for years wasn’t that one was in an established universe and one wasn’t.

It was actually a system of time skipping and keeping the story progressing each time players dropped out rather than letting the story die.

If you don't care about my fluff, don't quote and respond to it?

You all misunderstand MY point because you're leaping to defend something that was never under attack to begin with. But the fact you felt the need to draw swords says everything.

Alright, can we all agree that one advice of being a gm is don't fight with the rpers?

Alright, can we all agree that one advice of being a gm is don't fight with the rpers?

ooh you gotta be careful with that I hated pushover GMers when I did group. I literally had someone kick me out TWICE because the other players bullied them into getting rid of me.

In my mind you absolutely got to put your foot down and make sure no one bullies the other players.

And if that means getting into an argument with the bully than so be it.

Now that said being a unrelenting asshole to everyone who doesn’t worship you is not the way to go either.

It’s like being a good manager, you have to strike the balance between being approachable/helpful and firm/decisive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back