• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Advanced partner for non-traditional Fantasy.

Obsidianserpent

Hello everyone. I love fantasy, but I tire of the genre's hackneyed tropes such as elves, dragons, dwarves etc. I'd like to design an original fantasy that is very dark and macabre, with humans being the only mortal 'race' (there will be different ethnic groups). The story will be driven by humanities struggle against the divine. I have a tentative plot in mind, that could be tweaked to fit a variety of cultural settings. I should also mention that this would be a light magic RP (comparable more so to Game of Thrones than D&D). Magic is a real and powerful force in the world, but it's rare and poorly misunderstood by most. Aesthetically, the RP will closely resemble the culture it's set in.

The plot would begin with our characters meeting at the docks of a once prominent city state. An insidious blight afflicts the crop of the region. The highborn have sealed themselves within the imperial district, and have managed to avoid starvation through some inexplicable means. Meanwhile, the merchant and slum districts have fallen into chaos, with two rival thieves guilds vying for control of the city and its remaining rations. Bodies line the streets, and those who remain face the daily threat of starvation or death at the hand of a renegade thug. A powerful Skin Walker and hermit from the wilderness believes the plague to be supernatural in origin. Abhorring any otherworldly intervention into human affairs, he has recruited warriors from across the region to assist him in retrieving a powerful artifact of divination known as the "Oracle's Eye", which may aid in the discovery of the famine's origin.

I would play the Skin Walker; an individual with an innate sensitivity to the spirit world, and the ability to possess and control the minds of animals. I would also be able to enter the spirit world directly through the performance of various rituals during certain astrological events. Skin Walkers are believed to be spirits of the old religion made flesh incarnate. They are rare, and often persecuted by the dominant religions of the world. I'd also play a second character, likely a female recruit. I'm still designing her concept.

Here are the cultural settings I'm currently considering for this plot.

New_Ruins.jpg
Pablo_Palomeque_Concept_Art_DESERT_SUNSETnew.jpg
Jungle_temple_web4_new.jpg

39de8b508e58b79c83c64afd22583455new.jpg
Hellraid_2014new.jpg
fall_of_gods_h_2015new.jpg

Here's a sample of my RP style:

It was an unusually stormy night, even for the jungles of Kehjistan. The Mage Zoltun Kulle approached the three Soul Stones which stood in the center of the intricate pentagram which had been carefully etched upon the ground. The stones emitted a subtle energy that sent a chill down Kulle's spine. It was a sensation he'd grown familiar with; understanding the stones had become an addiction of sorts. Never before had he come across artifacts of such incredible power. He yearned to uncover their secrets. A stone which could trap the essences of both angels and demons; with such a tool, humanity could finally rise against the forces of heaven and hell, and unlock the power of the Nephalem. Indeed, with a sufficient knowledge of the stone's properties, he could perhaps create a new and more powerful artifact, capable of trapping multiple demonic and angelic souls within a single stone. Such an experiment would be costly however, and Kulle had spent several months slaving away in quiet study, tirelessly investigating the mysterious stones.

A grin spread across his face as he stretched forth his hand and began to recite the incantation. The pentagram upon the ground began to light up in flames. Kulle pulled a sharp dagger from his belt, and slid it across the palm of his hand, letting blood upon the three stones below. The blood sizzled as it came in contact with the surface of the stones, emitting plumes of smoke. The wind began to steadily increase, before eventually tearing apart the small jungle shack in which he resided. The rain and wind beat against Kulle's skin, as smoke continued to rise from the vibrating stones. Kulle took a deep breath, before extending his hand once more. Suddenly, the stones began to rise from the ground. The red, yellow and blue artifacts began to glow, before emitting a tremendous pulse of energy. Kulle quickly muttered an incantation, transmuting arcane energy into a thin but resilient field of force. While the magical shield absorbed some of the force, the film of energy quickly dissolved from the impact of the shock wave, knocking Kulle off is feet and shredding the nearby plants and vegetation.

Kulle's face filled with anger and disappointment. He'd tried hundreds of arcane experiments, and while he'd learned much about the stones' capabilities, he'd yet to unlock the true secrets of their creation. To uncover the secrets of the Soul Stones was to discover the recipe to immortality.

Footsteps could be heard in the distance. A Horadrim Acolyte, clad in brown robes approached Kulle, who was struggling to regain his footing. "Brother Kulle..." "What!?" Kulle quickly snapped, clearly frustrated. "The recruits have arrived....they await your instruction at the docks...". Kulle snarled, pulling himself to his feet with the aid of his large ornate battle staff. "Very well...I'll be there shortly..." Kulle muttered. His Horadric brother bowed slightly, before retreating into the jungle thicket. Kulle picked up the Soul Stones and placed them within a Horadric Cube before locking it magically, ensuring their safety. His experiment had failed but Kulle was determined to keep trying. He could give up now, not when he was so close to a breakthrough. But his work could wait for the time being. With another invocation he opened up a shifting portal to the docks. As he stepped through the swirling vortex, he couldn't help but wonder what to expect from his new recruits. Kulle had selected some of the most skilled combatants in Sanctuary. Still, the task before them was daunting, and the stakes were incredibly high. He could only hope that he'd chosen wisely...

I'm looking for a partner who takes RPing as seriously as I do. I'm looking to write an incredible story with a literate, creative partner who posts well thought out content. Below is a sample of my writing. PM me a writing sample if this interests you; I think it could be a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings! I really, really dig the concept and I would love to roleplay with you, however I can't start a conversation with you because my post count hasn't exceeded 10 posts yet and I haven't been here for 24 hours. If you start a conversation with me, though, I will gladly send you a RP sample from another site so you can gauge my skills!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back