• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Adrift and Afloat, a Pokémon Adventure

PerilousAbyss

Infectious Eldrazi
Olivia and her companions were absolutely exhausted by the time they arrived at Alto Mare. They'd been traveling all day with little to no rest or breaks, and even the hardiest of adventurers would have been winded by the sheer amount of walking they'd done. She refused to keep her Pokemon in Pokeballs, and as such her Aron and Gible were just as drained as she was. "We finally made it, guys..." She said with a heavy sigh of relief as the traveling party staggered into the coffee shop. The air conditioning of the cafe returned life to the weary travelers, and the cool air filling their lungs felt like a worthy reward for their efforts that day.

The itinerant photographer let her hair loose before tying it back up as she approached the counter to place her order. Looking over the menu before settling on a simple iced coffee for herself and some frozen berries for her companions in order to help tackle the heat. The three seated themselves at a table in the corner as they awaited their order to be completed, Agatha laying down at Olivia's feet and Garland sitting in the chair opposite her like a small child would.

Last edited:
Entrance-to-the-Pokemon-Cafe-1024x768.jpg

Day 1

Jun was up and about in her room: it was the second day of her journey and she... hadn't really journeyed beyond Alto Mare. In fact, yesterday, the first day of her journey, she got so distracted by all the Pokemon she saw that, even though she visited lots of the City that she hadn't seen before, she ended up going back to sleep at her house anyways. But well, today was a new day and she hoped to explore more and maybe stay over at a Pokemon center or something.

She packed her belongings in her blue backpack—which consisted of a big book on Pokemon peculiarities, and her own notebooks—, and went out through the café, waving to her mothers as she passed by the counter. But... she stopped midways when she saw a Gible sitting in one chair to her left, at a table that was on a corner near the counter. She crouched to match the Gible's eye-height adn stayed still for a moment, looking intently at the Gible. Xiu, one of her mothers, noticed this. "Jun, don't bother the clients... or at least make some conversation, don't just stare at her Gible!" She said in not an angry tone but a sarcastic and funny way, and then she threw a coffee bean towards Jun, which hit her lightly in her head. Liling—Jun's other mother—when right away to scold Xiu, who was laughing loudly.

"Uhh, I was just thinking, did you know that Gibles have a notch in their dorsal fin when they are male, but none when they are female, and that you will find it difficult to find two matching fins, but more difficult will it be to find a female Gible with a fin, it's a rare sight." She told at the girl whom she was now looking at, the girl was seated opposite to the Gible. And Jun was touching hew own chin with her hand, unconsciously. Meanwhile, Xiu had almost finished preparing the customer's order, but she waited a bit, since she saw her daughter was making a friend of the customer, or so she hoped.

Last edited:
Olivia laughed softly at the cafe proprietor's comments, though her attention quickly turned to the blue-haired girl approaching her table. Was she a cafe worker? Probably not. She was dressed like someone who was about to set out on a journey, and had a look of excitement about her that a coffee shop worker would rarely have for a normal day of work.

"No kidding? Never would have noticed that." Olivia's eyes widened a bit as Jun told her about the Gible facts she knew, looking genuinely impressed with her knowledge of Pokemon details. She was never the type to pay attention to stuff like that, so it was always pretty interesting to talk with someone who did.

She reached forward to gently rub Garland's fin before reaching down and softly tracing a knuckle over Agatha's metallic head. She looked up at Jun with an energetic smile and decided to introduce herself in hopes of potentially making an even temporary travel companion. "I'm Olivia. This town of yours is super nice. Really comfy atmosphere to it."

green-tea-and-iced-coffee-on-wood-table-picture-id523173338
Jun turned her gaze now to the Aron as the girl caressed her. Aron has no easily noticeable gender differences, so it was hard to tell if it was male or female, only a trained expert could be sure, which was what Jun hoped to be. As of now, the only thing she could do was guess based on a hunch. She was thinking about it, looking at the Aron, when she was interrupted by the girl, who presented herself. And only now did Jun noticed that the girl had nice purple hair, tied in a bun, and that, from what she could see, she was quite athletic. And she had freckles, too. She had a camera around her neck, was she a photographer? It'd be nice to travel with a photographer, though Jun. She was wearing a tank top, it looked good on her, and there were some loose dangles of hair on her forehead and... "Ah! Oh, yes." She was took by surprise, she had gotten lost in the girl's face. Seems like Pokemon wasn't the only thing she liked to analyse. Well, in fact, she looked at everything with the aim of observing it, just instinctively. She wasn't sure what she'd said, anyways, she mentioned town, maybe she meant the city? She said, Alivia, right? "I'm Jun! Nice to meet you, Alivia!" And she held out her hand. That's how one was supposed to act in these kinds of situations, right?

While all of this happened, Xiu had brought over the iced coffee and the frozen berries, as well as as iced matcha tea, one of Jun's favourite, and settled them on the table, trying not to interrupt. She also brought a seat over to where Jun was, since Jun was still crouching awkwardly. Jun was accustomed to crouching, since it was easier to observe Pokemon from the ground like that. Liling smiled on the back. Both of them were happy that her daughter was making a friend, which wasn't easy for her, or she didn't seem to pay much attention to those things, rather, focusing more on studying Pokemon.

Olivia thanked Xiu for bringing her order to where she was seated before resuming her conversation with Jun. "It's nice to meet you too. You look like you're about to start traveling, yeah?" She asked as she tossed a few berries to her Gible so he could catch each one in his large, toothy mouth. He snapped eagerly, smiling as he chomped down on each berry tossed his way. The other half of the berries went to her Aron, her attention not leaving Jun even as she reached down to feed her steel-type companion. The semi-reptilian Pokemon happily gobbled her lunch up, nuzzling against Olivia's leg once she'd finished eating.

She always liked seeing prospective adventurers about to set out on their first expeditions with their Pokemon. She remembered how exhilarating it was to first step foot outside of her home town and never look back. It was an experience she felt that everyone should have at least once in their lives.

"Ah, yes!" Jun answered right away. Oh, and how could she forget to release Shui and Raijin. Her Wooper and her Mareep. She thought for the night it'd be good if they got a really good rest inside their Pokeballs, but honestly she'd missed them when sleeping, but didn't want to bother them at the middle of the night. She usually walked along with them, anyways. She fished the two balls from her belt and unleashed them. "Woop, woop!" Shui cried out. Raijin just stood to her side, but Shui was brought over to Jun's head by Jun herself: it was her favourite spot. Then she sat on the chair her mother had brought for her and drank a bit of the iced tea.

It was a bit hard for her to make conversation, but finally she just went with the easiest thread. "Oh, these here are Shui," she pointed to the Wooper in her head, "and Raijin," she looked down at the Mareep. "Are you on a jouney too?"

Olivia's enthused expression turned to a beaming smile once Jun had released her Pokemon from their capsule-sized residences. The way she picked her Wooper up and put them on her head was arguably the cutest thing she'd ever seen. She already got the impression that Jun was someone who genuinely cared for and loved her Pokemon, and that was the kind of person she knew for a fact she could get along with.

She reached forward and extended a hand to softly nuzzle Raijin's cheek with her thumb, making certain not to fall out of her chair as she did so. "Yeah, I'm on the road. What gave it away?" She asked with a soft laugh as she sat back upright and tied her hair up a bit neater than it previously was. "I've been traveling for a few years now. Hoenn's nice and all, but the big city's pretty constricting. Nothing like this place is, that's for sure." She laughed again and slammed her iced coffee in one go before somewhat noisily exhaling the residual cool air from her mouth.

Jun seeped once more her iced matcha tea. "That sounds fun. I've never been to other regions, but Alto Mare, the city of canals, isn't constricting at all. And about that, well, your camera and your physique gave it away, certainly." Xiu, who was eavesdropping from her place at the counter, couldn't help but laugh at Jun's remark. She totally hadn't gotten the nuance, and she was so shameless when she spoke... it did remind her of herself, and she felt happy for that, since Jun could be rather blunt and tactless, so not many people tended to stick with being friends with her.

Raijin, meanwhile, at Olivia's touch, hid behind Jun. Jun didn't notice. It was because Raijin wasn't exactly accustomed to human contact, and she only wanted it from Jun for now, but even so, Raijin didn't show that too much, even though she was envious of how Shui seemed to be Jun's favourite, and she was her first Pokemon too, or at least that's how Raijin saw it. But at that moment, too, Shui went down to the table and turned her cheek to face Olivia. It seemed she wanted a caress, too.

Olivia wasn't about to turn down an opportunity to give another Pokemon some well-deserved loving, and she happily obliged in rubbing the Wooper's cheek. She didn't seem to be bothered at all by Jun's blunt comments, knowing full well just how much like a typical vagabond she tended to look. She even got a kick out of Jun's commentary, judging from how she was laughing.

"I guess you're right about that! So where are you headed first?" She asked as she took the tray with her drink glass and the berry plates on it over to the counter, thanking Liling and Xiu for such a lovely, refreshing snack. Once she'd finished paying for her order she returned to the table where she was previously seated in order to continue her conversation with Jun. "I don't really have a destination right now, so I might just tag along with you for a little while. If that's cool, that is."

Shui was happy and promptly started doing little hops, which Jun knew it was so that she carried her again to her head, and so she did. Meanwhile, Olivia took her tray to the counter. Jun didn't know why Olivia was laughing, since she had been totally honestly, and she really like her physique, she seemed strong, but she relaxed and thought about what she had asked. Where was she headed? Nowhere in particular, right? First, to the Johto coastline, at least. Since Alto Mare was a city between the islands of eastern Hoenn and Johto's southwestern coast, it'd be logical to travel to any of these two. And she hadn't explored her home-region as a whole yet, so there was really only one option.

"We could wander around Alto Mare for a bit and then visit Cianwood City, and uhm, of course you're more than welcome to travel with me." Jun inadvertently blushed for a second, but then gained her composure and went on, "There's tales of Lugia being sighted there and stuff, so..." And now she had gotten a bit nervous, fiddling with her hands on the hem of her shirt. Shui played with her false cat ears, and Raijin stood behind her still.

"And I can lend you my fishing rods, if you girls wanna--" exclaimed Xiu from the counter, Liling promptly went to shut her up with a kiss. "Huh..." There weren't many people over at the café, but the few regulars who were got a kick out of it; not unusual for Xiu, though. It made the ambient a bit more fun, too, or so she thought.

Her eyes brightened a bit at Jun gave her the go-ahead to come with. Wandering around was fun and all, but it tended to get a little boring after a while without a consistent conversational partner. It didn't hurt that Jun was pretty cute too. The mention of Lugia sightings was incredibly exciting as well, as Olivia had yet to see a Legendary Pokemon in person on her travels, and the experience was one she had definitely been looking forward to since the day she left home.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go find Lugia!" Olivia proclaimed quite noisily as she quickly stood up from her chair and went to sling her sizable travel bag onto her back. Agatha was startled a bit by the noise and sudden movements, visibly jumping in response to the commotion. Garland on the other hand seemed just as eager and excited as his trainer was as he hopped down from his seat.

"Oh!" Jun was startled for a second there. That had been pretty sudden. But she liked that Olivia seemed very excited for the journey with her. Olivia's beaming face as she grabbed ahold of her bag was priceless, she was really cute, Jun thought at that moment. She didn't even pay attention to her mom's words.

"Sure enough!" Jun said as she adjusted her glasses. "Mom, I'll set off with Alivia here, alright?" "Way to go, Jun!" Jun wasn't exactly sure what her mom meant, she just grabbed her backpack and waved at them as she waited for Olivia and her Pokemon. Raijin didn't seem too excited, but Shui was visibly excited.

"Let's go, then, Alivia?" She smiled at Olivia.

"Hell yeah!" Olivia grinned and nodded before she and her companions burst out through the café's door with seemingly all the energy in the world. Despite how exhausted she and her Pokemon were when they first arrived in Alto Mere less than an hour before, the prospects of a new adventure coupled with the tasty snacks prepared by Jun's parents had revitalized them completely.

As soon as they stepped outside, they revelled in the partly cloudy sunlight as well as the cool breeze billowing off of the canals. Olivia reached into her bag and rummaged around a bit in search for a map, though she was unsuccessful in her endeavor. "Hey, Jun, where do we head to get to Cianwood?" She asked, having abandoned the hunt for her map once she'd snagged her sunglasses from its depths instead.

Jun went out the café as Raijin followed behind and Shui still was atop her head. She looked back and waved at her moms a few times before turning outwards and looking at Jun again. The sunlight and the outside really did fit her a lot, thought Jun as she got out her sunglasses.

"If I'm not mistaken, we got to head northwest and take a boat there that gets us to Cianwood," she said as she pointed to the air a few times, as if searching for the map in her head.

The canals of Alto Mare were full of Pidgey fluttering about, as well as some Yanma and Murkrow. Some passed over Jun's head as Shui tried to lick them but to no avail. In the water canals, some Chinchou made their way through the water slowly. The sea breeze had a very strong odor, enveloping all the city. "So come this way, Alivia! And did you know, Alto Mare is famous for its Pidgey, which thankfully aren't Spearow, since these tend to get angry way more easily," she laughed wholheartedly as she walked on.

Olivia sent her a toothy grin as she walked on the very edge of the canal with Garland, the two of them balancing precariously like Olympic gymnasts. "I'm glad they're smart enough to leave us alone. You two'd rough 'em up easily." She spoke confidently as she addressed her Aron and Gible, attempting to bolster Agatha's self-confidence while also feeding Garland's ego a bit.

"I'm really glad this place is by the coast, Jun. Just the sight of the sea's really comforting. Reminds me of home," Olivia said as she stepped away from the edge of the canal and scooped Garland up in her arms so he wouldn't fall in the water. Her Gible was pretty heavy, but she was more than able to hold him for a little while before setting him back down.

Jun watched as Olivia walked on the edge of tha canals. Normally, she would be worried, but Olivia seemed to keep her balance perfectly fine, and it wasn't to Jun's surprise. Olivia really did seem very athletic, compared to Jun who was more of a book-worm, or, well, just a Pokemon observator.

Jun walked along the street near Olivia and her Pokemon, and with Raijin to her side. "Ah, so you finally scooped down," she giggled, "didn't doubt you for a sec, tho... and where are you from, Alivia? Did they have canals like here too?" she said, genuinely wondering if that was true. She hadn't heard of any other canal cities in Hoenn. Next, she was gonna ask her if her Aron was male or female, she had kept the doubt inside herself for a while now.

Olivia laughed softly and nodded, nestling her hands in the pockets of her cargo shorts as she looked back at Jun. "Not canals, but plenty of marinas and a ton of coastline. It's a pretty common thing back home." She explained. The muscle memory and reflexes which allowed her to not fall into the water had been honed throughout her childhood and early teens. Garland rarely feared anything at all, especially not something as harmless as water, but her team's rock-type was absolutely petrified by her weakness to water.

"You're trying to be some kind of Poke-scientist, yeah?" She asked, having pieced her conclusion together from her intensive knowledge of Pokemon in addition to her overall bookish appearance. She tended not to encounter too many scholarly types as she roamed the world, for those weren't usually the people to venture out into the unknown and explore. It was interesting interacting with someone whose experiences were so different from her own.

"That's interesting, I'd like to visit sometime." she said looking at Olivia. Different places and ways of looking at the world, shaped by one's childhood, also were of interest to Jun.

"Huh, did you notice?" she blushed a bit. Guess I've been talking too much. "But, yeah, I want to be a Professor, but a field one! Observing Pokemon is so interesting to me, and maybe teaching some people in the future would be nice, too. But I still got a long way to go. For example, I can't guess what gender your Aron is, no matter how much I try, ah, and what do you want to do, Alivia?" she waited expectantly for the answer, her voice gave off that she was genuinely interested in knowing Olivia's answer, since she had never met someone like her before, as she looked at her face, noticing some little purple locks of hair that were carried by the wind. She felt the strange need to touch them.

Olivia brushed a few stray purple coils back behind her ear as she crouched down to Agatha's level, gently rubbing her chrome head with her palm. "She's female, I'm pretty sure. That's what Professor Cypress told me, at least." She explained with a warm smile, looking back up at Jun as she spoke. Professor Cypress was quite well-known for her studies on water-type Pokemon, namely focusing on hypotheses as to why that's the most common type by such a large margin.

She was genuinely a little stumped when she asked what she wanted to do, Olivia herself even unsure of what her higher aspirations were. "To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I guess finding that out's one of the reasons I'm traveling in the first place." She shrugged as she stood back up and blew a bothersome hair to the side and off of her eyes.

"Ah, I think I've heard Cypress's name around quite a bit. At least it was mentioned in some magazines, I want to meet them for sure!" said Jun beaming, reciprocating Olivia's smile, and caressing Shui who stood atop her head still.

"Ah, I see..." she got a bit down for a moment, but then perked up and went, "but, hey... let's go look for that answer together! You've got a leading professor on your side now!" she said cheerfully, looking straight into Olivia's eyes. Honestly, Jun liked Olivia's company so far, it was fun being around her, and she really wanted to help her. She wasn't sure still when to make contact, though, so for now she kept a bit of a distance. "Woop, woop!!" Shui was excited, too. Raijin didn't seem to care a bit, but inside she was really glad.

Olivia was having an absolute blast walking to Cianwood with Jun, presently enjoying her company and conversation decidedly more than any of the other people she'd traveled with. "I'll be counting on your expertise, Professor Jun!" She spoke earnestly and enthusiastically like usual, clearly seeing her potential and drive to become exactly the kind of professor she wanted to become.

"You ever have a Pokemon battle?" Olivia asked as the pair stepped past the limits of the town and onto the first route of their collective journey. The concrete streets and canals of the city were soon replaced with dirt trails and wooded canopies. The chittering and scurrying of a number of wild Pokemon could be heard as they set foot on the route's path. Their journey had officially begun.

She bowed a little, as a reverence. "I'll be trying my best!" She was stoked at having been called a Professor.

As the road became dirtier and the canals lead way to dirt and a more natural environment, Jun wondered if they were going to find Lugia after all. "Ah, I don't think I've ever had one, hum, apart from Raijin trying to battle anyone she sees... but it's definitely something I have to do for my Pokemon study! Do you battle often, Alivia?"

Olivia wasn't exactly surprised that Jun wasn't much of a battler, but she was definitely intrigued. Battling was an integral part of traveling the world, as there were all too many cocky trainers eager to prove their strength to passersby. "It's a pretty common thing for me, yeah. Garland and Agatha both quite like it." She beamed, looking down at her hardy companions before returning her attention to Jun.

"It's pretty easy if you're close with your Pokemon. If you just trust in their strength and encourage them, they won't lose." She explained, clearly viewing battles as more than just physical competition. They were also tests of wills, of bonds, and of resolve.

"Ah, I see, I see... that's interesting..." Jun muttered as she pulled out her journal and wrote what Olivia had said. It may have seemed that she was disinterested from her tone of voice, but she was actually very engaged. She had also jotted down some things about Olivia, and her Pokemon's pecularities, it was just interesting to her! Every detail mattered. She wouldn't even hide it if asked, embarassment was not in her dictionary, and she didn't understand much of social rules of conduct or whatever.

Jun also started to look around, the scenery was a bit more jungle-like and precarious. This part of the city wasn't one that Jun visited so much, but there were many Pokemon around, many hidden. An slakoth just lazying around, Feebas and Barboach on the water, she thought she saw a Corphish over by the water, and she knew there were sure to be Luvdisc on the water, too. Mostly Johto Pokemon, it seemed. Not very far from where they were, she could divise some boats, so there was the coast, and their ticket to Cianwood Town.

"Oh, there are the boats, Alivia," she pointed ahead of them, with her notebook and pen still in her hand, and she put the palm of her left hand on Olivia's right shoulder. There seemed to be some suspicious men around the boat, harassing the owner, who was an old man. Jun didn't seem to notice, though.

Olivia let out a sigh of exasperation and sent a scowl to the weirdos harrassing the boat owner. She'd seen their type before, scoundrels who used intimidation to get what they wanted from those weaker than them. Cowards like that really made her mad. "I'll be right back, Jun. I'm gonna try and make those weirdos leave that old guy alone."

She sent her blue-haired friend a confident grin in an attempt to reassure her before gritting her teeth and walking over to the boat. "Don't you assholes have something better to do than bother this old guy? Get the hell out of here!" She shouted, glaring fiercely at the thugs as her Pokemon followed suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back