• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Absolutely UnBEARable!

Sagacity

A tabletop, Fantasy-based realm in which bears are sentient and desire control over a human civilization in order to survive. Involves my first time trying to make a good-enough system to do RPGs with, including but not limited to: starting point loadouts, stat checks, various types of guards and their individual stats and, finally, various endings based on creativity.

It's not your stereotypical Fantasy RPG in which there are NPCs that give you quests, instead this RPG's plot is completely player-driven, AKA players decide how they want to do things, when they want to do things and where they want to do things. In other words, aside from the set rules, dice rolls, and set events, players have complete control over how their adventure plays out.

There are many Bear Species as well, which double as Classes. Each bear species has a specific role assigned based on the existing Class their species was based on. I've utilized all bear species and remade them as Warriors, Paladins, Rogues, Guardians, etc.

In case you couldn't tell from the name of this Roleplay, it's based around bears. Why bears, you ask? I'll tell you later. All PCs will be bears, including you. You're a bear. You come from a forest just outside a human civilization. It's green and brown, mostly because it's a forest. I'll tell you something else. The forest you live in is filled with bears of all kinds, and they're separated not by species, but by Classes. Each bear represents a Class, Grizzly bears for example are Warriors, or 'Barbarians', though they uphold civilized standards.

However, the bears stand united as a single species, uncaring of the differences in species. Much like the filthy humans have different races, so do the bears. They coexist as a single bear species, when in reality they are divided by abilities, split into 'Camps' based on their racial traits. Therefore, bears engaging in inter-species breeding in this forest is rare, if not impossible. Mixed bears have been seen, with weakened racial traits of the races of both their parents. They're known as 'half-breeds', and, as I've said, are rare.

One day, your elder council - made up of elders of every bear species - informed you of the threat the humans posed to the forest. Deforestation, pollution and poaching would cause the bears to lose their home and their lives along with it. To counter this, the council decided upon a single solution - to take over the human civilization in any way possible. Using the abilities of the bears, a select group of individuals working together in a 'party' would take over the human civilization to avoid/prevent the oncoming thread. They know they have to succeed, otherwise they will fall, and so will all the other bears in the forest.

How they try to take over the civilization, on the other hand, is up to you. Customize your party of bear species based on your idea, as some combination of bear species are better suited for some plans more than others, and may fail completely at the task at hand. How will you win this game? It's up to you, use your creativity in ways unimaginable to others.

Sidenote: It is possible to fail, just a heads up.

If players express interest in this, I'll create the main thread with the system and such. System is new, so bear (unintended pun but fine) with me if there are any flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to need to specify your system to some degree - the type of dice, core conflict or task resolution mechanic, anything innovative you might be doing?

That said, it really sounds to me like you're inexperienced in the field. That's not a bad thing, but developing a system is incredibly difficult and time-consuming. I'm not saying don't, but there are professionally designed systems out there that can run an idea like this or, if you plan on forging ahead, can at least teach you something useful to inform your own design. I can make some recommendations, if you'd be interested.

I'd also encourage you to join some of the other traditional RPGs on the site to get a feel for using different systems. I know of very few on here that fit the unfortunate D&D stereotype.

Idea seems like a giggle. Reminds me of Kobolds Ate My Baby or other RPGs you'd play over a few pints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grey said:
You're going to need to specify your system to some degree - the type of dice, core conflict or task resolution mechanic, anything innovative you might be doing?
That said, it really sounds to me like you're inexperienced in the field. That's not a bad thing, but developing a system is incredibly difficult and time-consuming. I'm not saying don't, but there are professionally designed systems out there that can run an idea like this or, if you plan on forging ahead, can at least teach you something useful to inform your own design. I can make some recommendations, if you'd be interested.

I'd also encourage you to join some of the other traditional RPGs on the site to get a feel for using different systems. I know of very few on here that fit the unfortunate D&D stereotype.

Idea seems like a giggle. Reminds me of Kobolds Ate My Baby or other RPGs you'd play over a few pints.
hmm, in that case I may or may not be using Free-Form's system of combat for now. I'll keep a few parts of my original idea, and maybe change it later on if it's broken or does not work.

Glad that two of you are interested, though! I intend for this to be a one-shot kind of game, nothing special. Just for shits and giggles, really.

Oh, sorry, I'm not actually interested in playing - it looks like a fun idea but I have way too much else to do right now. I just drop into threads like this to offer useful advice.

Hadn't actually seen that system before. Looks perfectly functional for the purpose.

You may also be amused by this: http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Drunken_Bear_Fighter.pdf

Once played bear race in skyrim, mod, pretty much felt like the dovabear videos.

How active would players need to be?

Sohisohi said:
Once played bear race in skyrim, mod, pretty much felt like the dovabear videos.
How active would players need to be?
I guess, if I had to say, post at least once per 3 or 4 days. I don't intend for this to take very long, just a short little campaign for fun.

Sagacity said:
Each bear represents a Class, Grizzly bears for example are Warriors, or 'Barbarians', though they uphold civilized standards.
I think you mean Barbearian. Also I'm incredibly interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back