Abandoned By Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having set up his equipment and stowing most of his gear, X'oreen picks up packet that Eovard had given him. Twisting on his cot, he lays a series of small maps out on in a circle. He rotates the pieces, so he can try and lock them into his mind. "Never know when you'll have to do a hasty retreat or back pedal away from danger." As he is studying, he cant help but admire the quality of the workmanship. "Eovard and his partners hired quality mapmakers. Wonder who they used?" He scans both the old and new copies but doesn't see any maker's mark or symbol. As he scan through again, he notices that the lower levels are very incomplete and unfinished. "Unfortunate, but curious. This section of map appears to be 10-15 years old. Wonder what caused to them to hold off....why wouldn't they have reclaimed or explored it by now." carefully packing all of the maps and sketches back up, he returns them to Eovard's hut. "I'm going to need a small travel table and a few lanterns in the next few days if you want me to start updating those along with creating new ones. Have a good night and I'll see you in the morn."

Last edited:
Closing the folder, Loyd stands up and starts to clear the table. "Hes an asshole alright. But it isnt the only thing about him. Gotta give him time to learn. Plus he has good intentions, hopefully." Loyd bids the others goodnight, and after putting away the mess from the table, heads to the Councilmans tent.

Orthion sees the cleric approaching and moves off into the back of his tent for a second, grabbing a bottle of wine and two glasses. Placing the glasses on the table he gestures to the empty seat. "Mr Digger, I am glad you came. Please take a seat. Do you drink wine? I have brought a few good bottles from my estate but drinking alone can be a little morose." He pours Loyd a glass of wine first, then himself and stands by the desk. Loyd would be able to see that the tent is almost completely empty, no servants or retainers at all. There is a writing desk with some papers orderly stacked on it, a small painting of an elven man and a few bottles of ink. In the back of the tent there is a small bookshelf, a single chair and a small wine rack. Orthion gives the man a hint of a smile, finally some acceptable company, and crosses his arms. "So, the plans?"

Loyd stands in the entrance of the tent shocked. His mouth opens and closes many times as he watches the elven man set everything up. When he is finally spoken to he almost jumps out of his skin. He slowly walks up to the desk, sitting down he grabs the wine glass. "Ive never had wine before." He admits. Placing the folder down, he takes a sip. His face pinches at the taste. "Im sure ill like it eventually." He smiles, though he seems uncomfortable. He clears his throat loudly. "Theres a couple of things that are new to me. Only a few of them are seen as bad, in a way." He opens up the first plan he noticed. "The explosives used are 1.5 times more than the amount normally used." He flips the the next page. "The supports used in the mine are spaced out the same as a normal mine but each one is reinforced with different materials. while normally itd be wood reinforcements, these are wood with iron struts." He continues, "The mine splits off into three branches, which is very unusual and is often a last resort unless the company says to branch out and start searching for something." He flips near the end. "There are 3 different points where they state a shipment of dynamite has been completely used up, despite the amounts used not adding up." He looks up at Orthion. "And the pay for workers is twice the normal amount." Loyd takes another sip of wine, his reaction less severe than before. "The only problems I see concerns the dynamite. Everything has at least some good reasons I could see. The supports means they are more safe. The branching out just means they are probably looking for something possibly. And the extra pay is just nice." He takes a deep breath when he finishes, his whole body upright and rigid. He takes a gulp of the wine.

Last edited:
Orthion raises an eyebrow at the never having wine comment, and then slightly shrugs. Humans were strange mayflies in the world, wine took a long time to mature and they barely had any to give. He listens to the man talk, nodding as he does so. He has an impressive amount of knowledge for someone so very young, the dedication to learn that in a short amount of time is definitely something to note. He frowns when the dynamite is mentioned, a slight amount of annoyance at the inconsistency. He would have to send it to Megali, she would be able to run the numbers and see if his investment was being moved elsewhere. "Good, very thorough. You know your mines Mr Digger. However I am not here for mines, they are inconsequential to me. Do not worry about the dynamite though, I will have it looked into." He stops for a second and quickly writes a note on a sheet of paper before turning back to Loyd. "What I am interested in is exploration and new discoveries. Like this." He points to the note saying that one branch had been closed. "I will be taking that adventuring party down tomorrow. I would like you alongside me. We will need a team, I will let you select that. You have shown good judgment so far, please just make sure they are capable. I cannot abide a lack of ability or effort." He nods, business completed and takes a sip of wine. "Anyone you select will, of course, be suitably compensated by my estate I will see to that." Orthion allows himself a small smile.

Nerirel watches Loyd leave, surprised that someone else knew undercommon here. She then stiffens up as the two people at the table look at her. “There isn’t much to say, I find the underdark interesting enough that I want to go down into its depths and explore it. And as for my plans tonight, I’ll probably turn in whenever everybody else disperses.”

“I’d ask you what interests you so much about the Underdark, buuut you mentioned wanting to us to continue our conversations, so...” Rhys shrugs awkwardly, turning his head away from Nerirel. Nonetheless, he keeps looking at the wood elf from the corner of his eye. When he speaks next, he’s speaking casually and in Elvish. He doesn’t look at Nerirel, even though he addresses her. <“You’re welcome join me on my adventure to find some entertainment before bedtime tonight, if you want. No pressure though!”>

"Well the mines are important, dont want any rocks falling ontop of us." He chuckles awkwardly. "I know some people who could help. But I cant guarantee they will be the most pleasing to interact with. But at least they wont be idiots. And can do their job." Loyd looks around, "I should be off, uh. Nice picture." Loyd stands up, drinking the last bit of wine. He waves goodbye, hesitating at the flap of the tent before exiting.

Walking out back to his camp area, Loyd sighs. Looking over at the ones still conversing at the tables he rejoins them. "So, uh... how would yall feel about working with the councilman? Like in a group for exploring in the mines and all." He braces himself for any response.

Rhys looks up as Loyd return. “My dear miner friend, how was your appointment with the councilman? Did he suitably insult you?” He raises an eyebrow at Loyd’s question, before sitting up straight. He tilts his head, looking at Loyd. “Me? You are joking, right?” He laughs a little, clearly disbelieving. “Did you miss the part where I said I’m trying to lay low? Or my appropriate disdain for a guy like that?”

"Well he actually complimented me more than anything." Loyd sighs, "And its not like your name will be spread everywhere when you work with him. And i guess he said that he will give us extra pay? And he isnt as bad as you think he is."

“How surprising. Are we sure that wasn’t someone in disguise? He doesn’t strike me as the type to have kind words for anything but himself. You know-“ and now, he straightens up and puts on a pompuous voice. “I am councilman Orty Dicknius Blah-Blah, I am handsome and good and better than everyone.”

Rhys considers Loyd’s offer for a bit. His brow scrunches up as he thinks— his teeth gnaw on his lower lip. After a moment he shrugs, smile sly and full of mischief. “Sure, why not? I’ll do it for the ‘reward’.”

Last edited:
"Promise me you wont do any pranks. It isnt safe in a mining environment and could easily lead to death unexpectedly." Loyd looks at Rhys seriously, his voice deeper and more articulate than normal.

Rhys puts on his most scandalized face and puts his hand against his heart. “Dear friend miner, how could you? You have broken my heart. Do I really seem like the sort of scoundrel that would play pranks on a highly esteemed politician?”

He drops his unconvincing impression of scandalizes innocence moments later, leaning on the table. “Buuut I guess you’re right.” He sighs, like it pains him to continue talking. “Artificer’s honor, I won’t play any dangerous tricks on him.” He pauses. “I do hope you’re making the guy swear the same kind of stuff.”

Carmen giggles at Rhys's impression of the councilman, but settles down when Loyd turns in her direction. "Well, if you guys are game for it then so am I. Maybe he'll make a better third impression. Besides," she adds, knocking back her mug of ale and licking her lips, "a little extra pay would be nice. Navigation gear is expensive, so I'll need a few pay stubs before I can show off my real talents -- but I don't know if you all feel the same," she shrugs, her eyes flicking curiously over the rest of the group, but especially Nerirel.

Orthion watches the human leave with a strange look on his face. He looks back to the painting on his desk and frowns slightly. 'Tavorian? Why was he looking at that painting of my disappointment of a son?' He moves to the writing desk and pens 3 letters. The 1st to Megali, asking her to look into the finances and the dynamite issue. The 2nd goes to his son, now that the dutsy little human had put him in his mind. The 3rd is to Eovard. He gets the attention of one of the camp runners and gives him the letters, instructing the one to Eovard goes first then the others are posted immediately. He gives the runner 3 gold for the task and then retires for the night, contemplating the day to come and the best way to move forward.

Nerirel considers the fact that agreeing to this would mean spending time with a bunch of people she barely knew in a closed quarters situation. She also thought about how dangerous the underdark was, and how she didn't have the strength to take it all on by herself, as much as it frustrated her to admit. Nerirel sighs before looking away. "I suppose I could join you all, you will need my knowledge of the things we will find down there." She looks around the camp at the bunches of people still around. "I would like to leave as soon as possible, It's a little too crowded around here...."

Loyd smiles, genuinely this time, "Im glad to have all of you join me. Gods know I cant take that man all by myself. And im mostly here for money, so no hard feelings Carmen." He nods in understanding at the wood-elf. "We should be leaving in the morning. And i suggest you at least try and get use to it. Its always crowded in this type of work." He stands up again. "Sorry to leave on such a short notice, but i have another to ask and then its time to sleep. Have a good night." Loyd waves goodbye, walking back over to his small 'camp'. Seeing the tiefling he stops just besides the man.

"Good eve Loyd. I hope your meeting with the Councilman went well? I won't lie to you. I still think he is arrogant and self-righteous with motives that we may not understand and shouldn't underestimate. However, I know i haven't earned your trust yet." His tail swishing, and rubbing the back of his neck, X'or works to continue speaking. "My antics were stupid and risky, this is no place for either. I spent about an hour and a half reviewing the maps. You need to be careful. That one tunnel hasnt been properly explored and updated in months if not longer. Critters dont allow a vacuum like that to stay for long." Looking up at the night sky, and not at the cleric, he pauses for a moment before continuing. "Im not good with apologies, but be careful. Your gonna need to keep those eyes constantly moving. You should get some rest as they should be announcing the crews shortly." Talking quietly he continued "Eovard docked me a 1/2 day pay for that prank today. Looking back on it, i guess it is better than getting booted off the site." Extending his hand to the cleric/miner "thank you."

Loyd stands there a moment, his mouth opening and closes, as if he doesnt know what to say. He nods at the thanks. "It certainly is, better than you being kicked out." He thinks back to the conversation with Orthion, with the tunnel. "Listen, the councilman has asked me to, gather a group of individuals that can help him explore a tunnel. Most likely the one your talking about. I was wondering if you would like to accompany me and the others. Think of it as a trust exercise?"

"If you'll have me, then yes. Something tells me that that shaft is going to cause a lot of sleepless nights and worry. I wont try to tell you your job. Keeping my eyes open and knowing what is happening has been a matter of life and death for the last ten years, don't see it changing anytime soon. I'll have your back." Looking up at the stars one last time he then turned back to Loyd. "best be getting some sleep foreman."

The human yawns, his shoulders slacking as his tiredness sets in. "Great to have you then. You better get some sleep as well." He goes to walk to his 'camp', but hesitates. "Foreman? Listen, I aint no foreman. Just doing as im told." Loyd wags a finger at X'or half-heartedly. He sighs, looking up at the night sky as well. "Night." As soon as Loyd lays down, a soft snoring can be heard from his lips.

"Night!" Carmen calls, waving Loyd off as he heads into camp. After a moment, she stretches and stands too. "Well, I'm not calling it quits just yet. There's still plenty of people here to meet, and I've never needed much sleep." She flashes Nerirel a big smile. "Good to have you on board, anyway! Guess we won't be totally lost down there, huh?"

As the night passed on, people would still come through the gates occasionally, Eovard could be seen greeting nearly every group that came through, getting more and more tired as time passed. The smell of cooking kicked up around 4 am and occasionally a distant yelled insult could be heard from one of the half-orc head chefs. 6 am was morning wakeup call and as everyone left their tents, they were hit by the cool early autumn air and the distant light of the sun just reaching over the makeshift walls. Artisans could be seen setting up in the distance, one end of the wall held two dwarven men with a portable forge setting up a smithy. A while down there was someone starting to build something, the camp was coming to life.

As X'oreen exits his tent, he spots a box of the supplies he asked for sitting on top of an architect's table with a hand-scrawled note on the top Sorry I couldn't stay to chat, it was very busy tonight, hoping you and the rest of the cartographers can do some good work, Cheers - Eovard

Breakfast went similarly to dinner last night with servings although there was a distinct lack of Ale. Each person was also given a bag for lunch, and once everyone was settled, A halfling man, noticeably older than Eovard came into the tent with two guards on either side of him, he wore the clothes of a noble who spent little time outside of his office and he had the same air about him "Alright, listen up. There will be two groups of six for exploring, everyone else will be put into a mining group of twenty with four members of the security team and someone to map out your path. This is the easiest way of splitting you all up and if you have any problem with it you can go to the complaint department. The only currently put together group knows who they are, don't expect to be able to choose who you're thrown in with unless you've paid us for that right." The older halfling leaves without another word, his speech was delivered with the enthusiasm expected of an old man who had to come from his busy job to help out with something he didn't see the point of.

Halfway through the meal A tall, slender human whom you all recognize from the day before enters the tent "Hello everyone, I'm Rhett, I'm the foreman here and I wanted to let you know that you've got about 30 minutes left to get all your business done topside, come to me when you're ready and I'll tell you your groups and assignments" he sat down at a table near the front and began looking over papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back