Story A Year of Miracles

StarDust

Cupcake Fairy
Hey there! ive been doing pretty well with my writting so ive decided to start posting up chapters of this story im writing! if you have questions, feel free to PM me! Enjoy~

Chapter 1, A New Year.

Purple curtains flapped with a breeze that crept in through a half opened window. The crisp winter air nipped at the nose of a young girl, causing her unusual amethyst eyes to flutter open. She got out of bed, rubbing at her eyes as she went to close her window, shutting out the refreshing, yet icy air. It was the first day of the New Year, a brand new start. She didn’t have long, so she was going to make the most of it. Her New Years resolution? To spend the rest of her time smiling, and to make others smile. It may have been a childish or even naïve resolution, but she had her reasons.

“Aria, would you like some breakfast dear?” the voice of an older woman rang from the main floor of the small two bedroom house.

“Coming Mariam!” the girl replied.

Aria hurried downstairs, her tussled chestnut brown hair bouncing around her shoulders. The house was filled the smell of maple, and the table was set with plates of pancakes.

“This smells amazing!” Aria said taking in a scene that was not previously common to her.

“Why thank you dear.” A woman in her late 40’s finished setting the table as a man only a few years older walked in. “Tom, you’d best hurry or you might be late.”

“You know I’m never late Mariam.” He kissed her forehead before sitting down. He turned to Aria, who had already seated herself. “Now Aria, you’ve already been registered for classes at the local college under the name Sylvana, our name.” he took a bite of the pancakes. “You’ve got a week before the next semester starts, so I would hope that you take some time to get to know the town since you just arrived here.”

“Thank you Tom, Mariam. It’s kind of you to allow me into your home.” Aria replied with a smile. Tom and Mariam Sylvana were what you could call foster parents even though Aria was 19 and old enough to live on her own. She was to spend the her remaining time living with Tom and Mariam while she started college. She frowned at the thought of the four walls that had once kept her from the life she wanted, and pushed the memories away. “I’m really looking forward to the time I get to spend here”

“And we are glad to have you.” Mariam said as she joined them at the table. The newly formed family ate a cheerful breakfast and worked together on the cleanup. Aria went back upstairs and showered, thinking about everything that was happening around her, and all that would happen in the coming months. As she brushed her hair and prepared for the day she found herself filled with mixed feelings. Her time in this town could be as much of a curse as it was a blessing. She wondered if it would be ok to make connections, even to build relationships with people she might not see for very long. She pushed her negative thoughts away as she headed back downstairs.

She opened the front door and was greeted by the chilly winds of January winter. It was a beautiful day for winter, the sun warm on her face despite the frigid air. Aria walked about town, getting to know her neighborhood as much as she could. A thoughtful expression settled on her face, her breath coming out in white puffs of fog.

Aria was content to walk for long amounts of time, and today was no exception. She had walked all the way from her home on the north side of town, through the more upper class east, the modest southern shopping area, even the park near the town square and the main street shopping area as well. She found herself in the slightly run-down west part of town in the later parts of the afternoon. Her somewhat round-about route through town was ending as she made her way back to her neighbor hood in the north.

Aria checked her watch when she heard her stomach grumble. 3pm already? She let out a tired sigh, and then jumped as she heard crunching in the snow behind her. She turned around as a man tumbled to the icy ground.

“sir, are you ok?” She hurried over, being careful not to slip on the ice.

“Fine now lil’ lady” The man’s eyes were fixed on her as he got up. Aria hesitated when the faint smell of alcohol met her nose. She kept her distance.

“If you’re alright then I had better be on my way.” She said, turning to walk away. The man caught her be the wrist and yanked her around so that she was facing him.

“Now ya wouldn’t leave a poor old man teh fend fer himself?” he slurred, obviously more intoxicated then Aria had originally thought.

“Get off of me you drunken lecher!” she yanked her hand away and turned to run, slipping on the ice. She crashed to the icy cold ground with a thud. She winced at a sharp pain in her hand. She looked to see a shallow cut, bleeding only slightly. By the time her attention shifted back to her situation, the drunken man was upon her once again. His hands groped at her coat, in an attempt to yank it off.

“I said get away!” just as she went to kick his feet out from underneath him, the man was yanked away by another, much younger one.

“Didn’t you hear the girl? Why don’t you go home and sober up you old pervert, before I call the cops!” the young man gave the drunk a shove, and he stumbled off grumbling obscenities.

“Thanks, if I wouldn’t have fallen I’m sure I would’ve been ok, but I still appreciate the help.” Aria smiled as she got up. She let her sleeve fall over her injured hand, figuring she could take care of the cut when she got home. “it’s already this late in the afternoon and people are still drinking for the holiday…this is one reason I hate New Years.”

“Whatever, I was just passing by.” He replied rather coldly.

Aria gave him a curious look. Upon further inspection he was quite attractive and appeared to be around her age. His blonde hair was in a seemingly systematic mess, and his eyes as icy blue as the sky reflected in the frozen puddle beneath their feet.

“Anyway…my name is Aria, I’m new in town.” She gave a polite smile.

“Chase.” the blonde replied bluntly.

“Nice to meet you Chase.” Aria said, stopping as her stomach reminded her of her hunger. “Well, I had better be on my way. I hope to see you around town!” she gave a wave before heading off once again. She glanced over her shoulder to see Chase wandering in the opposite direction. She shrugged, humming a light tune as she made her way home.

January 1st, 2012.

Well this was day 1, and things have already taken an interesting turn. A normal stroll turned into an odd confrontation, which ended with the weirdest type of meeting. I wonder if the rest of the year will be like this.

~End Ch. 1~

Last edited by a moderator:
Ch. 2 Hesitation

Aria groaned as her alarm started to beep. She did a stereotypical roll-and-smack on the snooze button before shifting her feet towards the edge of the bed. She shivered at the ice cold wood as she set her feet on the floor. After a second she perked up a bit, realizing how long her day would be. To wake up this early and be out and about would have most people her age complaining, but she was actually a little happy. She stretched her arms and stifled a yawn as she walked to her dresser. It had been a week since she arrived in town, and it was her first day of classes at the college. After picking out an outfit she showered and stuffed her things into her messenger bag backpack. Aria ran down the stairs, grabbing an apple from the fridge and giving Mariam a friendly wave before heading out the door.

She headed in the direction of the college, the slowly shrinking apple in one hand, the other holding the strap of her bag. A neighborhood kid waved enthusiastically and Aria turned and waved back as she walked. The only problem was turning the corner. Instead of continuing on, she slammed right into someone, falling to the frozen ground.

“Hey watch where you’re-“the masculine voice stopped abruptly as Aria looked up. It was the blonde from the week before.

“Hey! Chase right?” She smiled as she got up. “funny running into you! You heading to the university too?” she asked in a chipper tone.

“None of your business” the cranky young man started to walk away. Aria was a bit surprised.

“Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?” she asked in a somewhat playful tone, following him since that was the direction of the university.

“Does it matter?” he said quietly, and obviously irritated.

“sorry.” She stayed silent, however unable to leave him since she was headed in the same direction as he was. The silence was heavy, almost suffocating. Aria couldn’t take the awkward feeling of quiet.

“So it seems like you really are headed towards the university. What are you studying?” she asked politely, wondering why he was acting so cold.

“Music” he said bluntly.

“That seems nice, you should show me sometime, what do you play?” she asked. She was glad he was talking now.

“We’re here” he said coldly. The university campus sprawled out in front of them, old and almost ornate.

“I’m going for culinary could you maybe-“Aria was interrupted when Chase jerked a thumb right in front of her face, pointing towards the eastern building of the university. “er, thanks?” she waved as he turned away. What a cranky guy. Aria chose not to think anything of it; she didn’t even know him so she was in no position to judge.

“Hey! Aria, right? My name is Stella, nice to meet you!” Aria turned as a girl around her age greeted her.

“yes, Aria Sylvana. Nice to meet you too Stella.” Aria smiled, shaking the girls hand. Stella shared both the class they were currently leaving, and the one previous. She was in the culinary program like Aria, however with less home experimenting experience. She had pin straight hair the color of caramel, grey eyes and lightly freckled cheeks.

“I didn’t see you around last semester, I assume youre new here? If you have time before your next class would you like to going me for lunch?” Stella chattered as they headed towards the campus cafeteria.

“Yes, I am new.” Aria was a bit surprised at how forward she was, but was also grateful. “I would love to join you for lunch.” She mirrored Stellas bright smile. She couldn’t help but think Stella had a nice smile.

“I like your smile Aria, it’s so honest!” Stella complimented.

“Funny, I was just thinking you have a nice smile too!” Aria replied, followed by the two of them laughing together.

They shared an oddly normal lunch together, and parted for their last classes. Afterwards, Aria found herself pensive as she walked home. Stella had been forward and friendly, and Aria was incredibly surprised at the immediate bond they had formed. Perhaps tomorrow things would be different? It was probably one of those ‘caught in the moment’ things. No one was that friendly.

Aria continued to rack her brain until her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a guitar. A melancholy tune drifted through the cold winter air and Aria stopped to listen a moment. She headed in the direction of the sound, spotting Chase sitting under a tree in a nearby park. The park was empty aside from the melody strummed out on the old acoustic guitar propped on the blondes lap. His back was to her, but as she approached he stopped playing and turned his head towards her.

“Well looks like someone’s got good ears.” Aria said with a smile. Chase started packing up his guitar, a scowl on his face. “Don’t stop playing because of me, I can leave.” She said apologetically.

“I’m done anyway.” He said coldly.

“You know, you don’t have to be so angry. I never did anything!” she gave him a stern look, and then softened her expression, “You’re pretty talented with your guitar. What was then name of that song?”

“Doesn’t have one.” He slung his guitar over his shoulder.

Aria was a bit surprised by this, “you wrote it yourself?” she assumed. She figured if it didn’t have a name he must’ve written it himself.

Chase flinched at this. He hadn’t written the song, however it was something he had played from the heart. “Look, don’t take it personally, but I don’t really care to talk. If you will excuse me, I’m heading home, so I would appreciate if didn’t stalk me.”

“Fine, sorry.” A was a bit taken aback, but decided not to push her luck. “See you later!” she flashed him a friendly smile before going on her way as well. His expression never changed, instead it remained nearly emotionless.

When Aria returned home she sat at her desk in her room and thought about Chase and Stella. Stella was one of the friendliest people she had ever met, and Chase was just the opposite. Chase must’ve had reasons for his cold behavior, and Stella... well maybe she was just a naturally friendly person.

After spending an hour or two on university homework Aria sat down to a pleasant evening meal with her foster parents. She quite liked her home life; however she hadn’t spoken much with Mariam and Tom. She still had a lingering hesitancy to create bonds. What would happen at the end of the year? The future was too vague for her to let herself be carefree.

Aria yawned as she sat in her first class the next morning. She was still adjusting to early rising. She caught a smile from Stella on the way out, and waved.

“morning.” She said in a groggy tone.

“Don’t fall asleep in class” Stella said with a chuckle.

“I’ll try not to” Aria gave a hesitant smile.

“Something the matter?” Stella asked as they walked to their next class in the science wing of the university. They shared a general chemistry class, and they were supposed to do a lab that day.

“Not really, just tired.” Aria said, only half lying. Stella appeared to accept it with a shrug. “Stella, do you know a guy named Chase by any chance? Blonde hair, blue eyes, bad attitude?” Aria asked out of curiosity.

“Of course, it seems like everyone know Chase. Why do you ask?” Stella answered.

“Just curious. He is a little...odd.”

“Odd isn’t really the word I would choose.” Stella commented. “I would say he is more like...distant. He avoids people as much as he can and he makes it so that others want to avoid him too.”

“Everyone? None of the girls try to get him to open up? I mean...he is pretty attractive.” Aria pointed out with a honestly curious expression. She was sure that girls must be attracted to his looks upon first meeting him.

“They use to. During the fall semester when everyone was new, lots of girls approached him. Even I tried to talk to him; however he would have none of it. He would reply with short, blunt, and even cold statements until he was left alone.” Stella elaborated.

“That seems so lonely.” Aria said quietly.

“It does, however most people just thought he wanted to be left alone. Nobody really tried to figure out why he is such a loner.” Stella had a pensive look about her. “I tried several times to befriend him however he resisted and tried to drive me away like he did the others.”

Aria was a bit puzzled, but figured he must have his reasons. “Well, he has never had to deal with me before, so I think I will give it a shot.” She smiled again.

Stella smiled and nodded, as they grabbed their materials for lab. While Aria said she wanted to help Chase, she wasn’t even sure how to think of Stella still. What would happen when she had to leave? Did she really want to make friendships that she would have to end?

The lab was simple and went by quickly, as well as her next class and lunch. As Stella approached her once again she felt her questions continue to multiply.

“Something the matter Aria?” Stella asked as they walked towards the exit.

“Not really.” Aria responded.

“We may have only just met, but that doesn’t mean I can’t tell when you’re bothered. I’m pretty good at reading people.” Stella said, raising an eyebrow.

“Just a bit... hesitant.” Aria shrugged, not being specific.

“Making friends is not pulling teeth Aria, just be yourself, the people who matter most won’t care if you’re a little goofy or clumsy, and they will still love you no matter what happens in the future.” Stella reassured as she put a hand on Arias shoulder.

The future... I shouldn’t worry, should I? If I do then there is no point to coming to this town and having this wonderful opportunity.

“Thanks, I didn’t even tell you what I was hesitant about and you hit it spot on.” Aria chuckled.

“I told you I’m good at reading people, besides, you seem hesitant when you talk to me, so when you actually said the word hesitant, I knew that must be what you were referring to.”

“wow, we’ve used the word hesitant so much it’s starting to sound weird.” As Aria said this they both laughed, and it seemed like some sort of barrier between them had been shattered. Aria decided she wasn’t going to worry about time, and was going to live moment by moment. There had to be a reason she was still here, and she would definitely find it

Tuesday January 7th, 2012, Progress Journal

After a couple days of school I’ve decided not to worry about the future. Ironic since college is ALL about the future. As for me, the present is what matters, and the future of a possible cranky friend.

Ch. 3 The First Miracle, A Blossoming Friendship.

Aria stretched her arms as she walked towards the modest little church she had agreed to attend with Tom and Mariam this sunny Sunday morning. The church was tucked in a hill on the eastern side of town, which happened to be almost entirely made of similar hills. As they entered Aria found the church to be quite cozy. Everyone was friendly, greeting her and welcoming her, introducing themselves and whatnot. After a few moments of meet and greet Aria spotted a familiar face and immediately walked over.

“Stella! You didn’t tell me you attend church.” She said with a smile.

“well now, you didn’t mention such a thing either! Where have you been all these Sundays?” Stella replied.

“ive been busy adjusting to life in this town, exploring and such. Ive had a pretty busy schedule.” Aria shrugged. Over a month had passed since she moved to her new home. Not only had she quickly found a friend in Stella, but a family and even an interesting goal as well.

“well I hope to see you here more often.” Stella said as the crowd in the lobby began to shrink. “Looks like Sunday school is going to start soon. I can show you to the college and career class.” She offered giving a small wave to her parents as they headed to their own class.

Aria eagerly followed, listening to a motivating lesson on purpose and the future. She couldn’t help but think about what it would be like to be able to believe in the future, to plan and to grow. Most people took time for granted, but Aria couldn’t do that, not after what she had been through. As she thought about this she ran her hand gently along her left arm where her bone was, feeling that spot, remembering the sling, the sting of a needle and nausea that followed the treatment.

“Aria, earth to Aria it’s time to head to the sanctuary!” Stella put a gentle hand on Arias shoulder.

“oh sorry, I just zoned out for a second.” Arias hand slipped away from her arm as she gave a weak smile.

“You ok? You look a little sick.” Stella gave a concerned glance as they stood from the beanbag chairs in the college student little room in the back of the church.

“just…remembering things, it’s not important, really its fine.” Aria tried to give a reassuring nod.

“well, if something’s wrong I hope you will tell me.” Her friend gave a comforting smile as they entered the sanctuary and sat together between their parents/guardians.

The sanctuary wasn’t what she thought it would be. There were modestly comfortable chairs instead of pews, and no stained glass or organ, just a few windows, some stage lighting and a modest band setting with a piano, bass and acoustic guitar and drums.

The music started, and what Aria assumed to be worship was also not what she expected. The music was upbeat, had a pop or rock feel, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. As they listened and sang, Aria tried to join in and follow the lyrics displayed on the projector they used.

After a few songs, donations and the sermon, everyone rose in a light chatter as the church began to empty itself. Stella gave Arias arm a tug and led her out towards the parking lot.

“you seemed to enjoy yourself, did you like the music?” Stella asked.

“very much so, it was a lot more upbeat then I expected.” Aria said with a nod, “saved for the fact that it was worship, it would be hard to tell that music like that is Christian!”

“well then I have a treat for you, come over to my place today and we can listen to some of my CDs.” Stella suggested.

Aria nodded, waving to Tom and Mariam and pointing towards Stellas families car. The two of them nodded and proceeded to leave without her. She and Stella got settled in and made the short journey to her house. Aria was surprised to see that it was only a few blocks from where she lived.

“lets go, we haven’t got all day!” Stella said as they headed towards the house. Aria gave a small chuckle at the remark, as she was trying to imagine how time flowed for Stella, who had likely not experienced the same white walled, stale smelling, sterile prison she had for almost 5 years.

Once they got up to Stellas room she went to fiddle with her Ipod, placing it in a dock and turning on some music. The two of them listened and chatted, had some snacks and watched the time pass. The two of them had already agreed that Aria would stay the night and head of to the college with Stella in the morning. They discussed their classes as an upbeat tune came on, Aria listened and was immediately taken in by the lyrics.

Hello my friend

I remember when you were

So alive with your wide eyes to the light

Then the light that you had when your heart was stolen

Now you say that it ain’t worth stayin’

You wanna run but you're hesitatin

I’m talkin’ to me

Don’t let the lights go down

Don’t let the fire burn out

Cause somewhere, somebody needs a reason to believe

Why don’t you rise up now?

Don’t be afraid to stand out

that’s how the lost get found

The lost get found!

“Stella, this song, what’s it called and who is I by?” Aria asked as it continued to play.

“The Lost get Found by Britt Nicole, you like it?” Stella gave a tired yawn.

“It’s fantastic! I have to get the CD for this.” Aria said with a nod.

“glad you like it, but we should get to bed so we don’t fall asleep with our faces in our chem. projects” Stella chuckled.

Aria arranged a pillow and some blankets on the floor and Stella switched off the music. Aria pulled out her journal and wrote an entry using the light from her phone so that Stella could turn of the light and sleep. Aria flipped the little book closed and stored her pen in the spiral spine, a content sigh passing her lips and floating about the darkened room. She had time, she didn’t know exactly how much, but she would make the most of it, she couldn’t let her light be put out that easily after all.

Progress Journal, Sunday, February 3
rd, 2012.

It seems I’ve been motivated by some new kinds of music, perhaps church will be a good thing for me, who knows, God may have something planned for my time here.

Ch. 4 Valentines Surprises

“Hey Aria, do want to go shopping today?” Stella asked as they exited the university.

“Sure, I need to get some chocolate anyway, Valentines is almost here!”Aria smiled. She was looking forward to giving out chocolate, something she wasn’t able to do before. Lately all she could think about was how sweet life was outside of the four walls she once called home.

“Right! I almost forgot about that, there’s actually a friend I wanted to give chocolates to, he’s a pretty sweet guy.”A light pink rose to her cheeks as she said this.

“Well aren’t you cute?” Aria teased. “but hey, good luck to you, you will have to introduce me sometime.”Stella gave a nod, and the two of them hopped into her car and headed to the mall.

They shopped around, mostly looking until they got to the candy shop. Aria picked up several different types of chocolate and a pick girt bag with hearts on it.

“Yikes! That’s a lot of chocolate Aria.” Stella said with a curious look.

“Well, I’m just going to carry this bag around and give chocolates to everyone.” Arias expression gave no hint of joking around.

“I never thought of that before! I’m sure people would appreciate that!”Stella replied with a small nod.

“I just thought that there are lots of people who don’t really receive valentines at school, or anywhere, so I wanted to be the one to help them” Aria gave a very sincere smile, “I was in that position once.”

“You have quite the noble heart Aria.” Stella gave her a pat on the back as they headed out of the mall. “But I just have to ask, do you have a job? I’ve never known you to say you’re working, but you seem have a lot of money.”

“oh that... my parents...” Aria gave a small frown, “I don’t really want to talk about that right now.”

“Not Tom and Mariam I’m guessing. I’m sorry I brought it up, you can tell me about your parents when you’re ready.”Stella gave an apologetic glance. It was no secret that Aria was being fostered, Tom and Mariam were very active in the community and well known, so when Aria appeared in their lives everyone knew she wasn’t biologically related. Neither of her foster parents had siblings after all.

Valentines Day rolled around, an active Thursday at the university. Aria had made it halfway through her day, the chocolate from her bag nearly gone. She had received many warm thanks for her gifts, even some hugs. Her own heart felt light, nothing made her happier then the thankful reactions that came from those she gave chocolates to.

“Just a salad thanks, I’ve eaten a lot of chocolate today, so I need to have some balance.” Aria said to the woman in the university cafateria. She gave thanks, leaving a piece of chocolate on the counter after paying for her food. As she looked for a seat she spotted a familiar mop of blonde hair.

“Hey! Mind if I keep you company?” she asked sitting across from him.

“Yes I do actually.”Chase looked more sour than usual.

“So I take it you don’t like Valentines Day?” Aria asked, “Do you not get chocolates?”she gave a curious look.

“What business is that of yours?” he scowled from the very depths of his icy blue eyes, “maybe I just don’t accept chocolates because I don’t want any.”Aria was slightly taken aback, but remained as she was.

“Well why the heck not? Whether someone intends to ask you out or just be charitable, it’s all free chocolate right?” she gave a small smirk. “It’s not every day you get free chocolate. It’s not like I’m confessing my undying love for you or anything.”Aria said, chuckling.

“I don’t really care it’s just chocolate, now can’t you just leave me alone?”He asked in a sharp tone. Aria opened her mouth to protest, but instead gave him a small smile and nodded.

“Sure thing, I hope you have a nice Valentines Chase” She said as she stood up. She left a small, blue, see-through package of chocolates on the table as she picked up her bowl of salad and made her way to the outside part of the cafateria. She gave away a few pieces of chocolate to some of the students milling about around the tables before sitting down and enjoying her meal. She glanced at Chase through one of the windows, seeing him stuff the crinkled package of sweets into his sweater pocket before leaving for whatever class he may have had. She smiled, so he took them after all. It was a small victory, but a victory none the less.

“Did he really accept them?” Stella asked, her grey eyes filled with surprise.

“Well he stuffed them in his pocket, so I’m not sure, for all I know he could’ve thrown them away after he left.” Aria answered with a shrug.

“That is still pretty surprising.” Stella pointed out as they approached her house. “Well, I guess I will see you later.” She said with a wave. Aria waved as well, waiting toll her friend was through the door before moving on towards her own house.

As she rounded a corner she spotted Chase, and backed up. She peeked around the fence of the corner house she was just about to pass as the crabby blonde pulled a foil wrapped, chocolate heart from his pocket. He removed the foil and popped the chocolate into his mouth, his usual scowling expression shifting to something a bit more flat, and almost soft. Aria couldn’t help but smile at this development, it seemed the cold hearted young man had a soft spot for more than just music, he had a sweet tooth as well. One step at a time, slow and steady does win the race after all. Aria thought with a light chuckle, knowing that she still had a long journey ahead of her.

Progress Journal: Thursday, February 14th, 2012,

Today turned out better than I thought. It seems that Valentines doesn’t always have to be about true love, but any sort of love and happiness you want to share with others. For now I think teaching someone to smile would be a worthwhile goal, so that what I’m working towards first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back