• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A World Without Humanity (Medieval Fantasy Interest Check)

Basically...

Gnolls are divided in two main "races": The Akasa Gnolls are mostly nomadic, with several tribes that rotate through the seasons between the arid and the mountainous areas, and the Sunika Gnolls, with more structured settlements on plain areas. They are mostly hunters, but the Sunika Gnolls developed a simple farming rotation of grains and vegetables, both for consumption and trade. Gnolls have faint shamanistic ties, with a settlement/tribe having at least one herbalist/shaman that acts as a doctor.

I can elaborate more on the idea , but this is the basics.

That can work too, especially the Sunika. The Akasa would move farther away, towards colder regions.

Hm... well, giving it some thought, they'd have to be on another continent if that's the case. Savannahs aren't a natural part of where the batfolk reside. Hm, I suppose I should work on developing the continents a bit more... Gabe Gabe

Last edited:
omg I'm so down for non-human creatures, and I'm digging the restrictions I'm hearing from this thread so far. Er, i mean, that sounds weird, but like y'all are actually collaborating instead of just coming up with your own character the end goodbye. I like that -v-

ANYWAY, I'm not sure how much of this is supposed to be player made species vs OP made species, but I'm down for either. I tend to create more quadrupedal creatures than not, and they usually aren't built to have technological societies like human(oid fantasy thingy) society... They're more built as animals than "people", if that make sense. But!! I love building cultures and traditions and whatnot, so I can totally fish up something for this, even if it's a fresh design!

I should uh, compile my creature art to show y'all the kind of stuff I tend to go for ._. That would be a good idea.... hold on.....

Edit: WILD these be creatures Yeah :v Also, how do you feel about a dinosaur race?

Last edited:
Gasmeros Gasmeros This is interesting. There's nothing saying quadrupeds can't develop advanced society but I personally prefer bipeds, or things capable of using their forelimbs as a human might be able to. And, I mean, I have a race of bat people with snake eyes and horns. Dinosaurs should be fine, maybe.

P.S. Spotted Imps make me think of Hobs, little short batfolk that dwell underground or are mostly-subterranean. It's the short stature, you see. Hobs tend to only be about three or one feet tall.

Gasmeros Gasmeros This is interesting. There's nothing saying quadrupeds can't develop advanced society but I personally prefer bipeds, or things capable of using their forelimbs as a human might be able to. And, I mean, I have a race of bat people with snake eyes and horns. Dinosaurs should be fine, maybe.

P.S. Spotted Imps make me think of Hobs, little short batfolk that dwell underground or are mostly-subterranean. It's the short stature, you see. Hobs tend to only be about three or one feet tall.

Y'know, it might be interesting to include a culture of intelligent species that doesn't really have technology or permanent structures. A species that is intelligent and can speak just fine, but is perfectly adapted to survive in the wild without tools and tech... It's definitely wouldn't have to be a spotlight species, but it would be interesting to explore that way of life.

On the dinosaur note, have your ever heard of Dinotopia? It's a work of fiction which features a society of dinos and people; some dinos are simply mounts or work assistants, but some are smart enough to be scholars and such. If I made a dino race, I'd probably choose some kind of raptor dino that's similar to the raptors in Dinotopia.

Lol I'm digging your bat people so far.

I'd be interested, and I have no real preference for any type of monster, I can run with what you'd prefer.
I do have a minotaur, or a gryphon? Or something straight from imagination.

I'm certainly interested, would valravns be a viable monster type? Maybe they have a nomadic society where they move to lands suffering from war and or famine to feed on the dead?

iijora iijora SilverFlight SilverFlight Gasmeros Gasmeros Gabe Gabe Radio_Rat66.6 Radio_Rat66.6 Abyss Abyss Orikanyo Orikanyo Gryphtaur Gryphtaur The Pattern The Pattern
Good Lord, folks. I haven't gotten my own shit together yet and I'm getting all of these interested folk. Just, wow.

Er, there's a lot going on as of the moment, and with all of these various race requests and what have you, it's starting to feel a bit overwhelming. Hm... Give me some time, my friends. Whenever I make a world, I attempt to make everything as sensible as possible. All these requests are, in some ways, complicating that process.

I suppose I'll need to set up a framework of rules in regards to races and possibilities?

P.S. Sorry if I haven't gotten to any of y'all, it's difficult keeping up with certain things.

iijora iijora SilverFlight SilverFlight Gasmeros Gasmeros Gabe Gabe Radio_Rat66.6 Radio_Rat66.6 Abyss Abyss Orikanyo Orikanyo Gryphtaur Gryphtaur The Pattern The Pattern
Good Lord, folks. I haven't gotten my own shit together yet and I'm getting all of these interested folk. Just, wow.

Er, there's a lot going on as of the moment, and with all of these various race requests and what have you, it's starting to feel a bit overwhelming. Hm... Give me some time, my friends. Whenever I make a world, I attempt to make everything as sensible as possible. All these requests are, in some ways, complicating that process.

I suppose I'll need to set up a framework of rules in regards to races and possibilities?

P.S. Sorry if I haven't gotten to any of y'all, it's difficult keeping up with certain things.
Lol no worries. I'll take whatever's least complicated XD

Oi, you know what? I can leave Hobs and Hobbos out of this universe and, instead, go with Gremlins. That is, for an underground civilization.

I don't want to load you down too terribly much further, but perhaps something along the lines of an illithid/mind flayer? I'm well aware that such a character would be considered a danger by many seeing as they must feed on sentient beings like orks and gremlins to survive, though some war parties and other groups that often see combat (and would thus be able to feed an illithid without sacrificing themselves) may value them for their advanced strategic and tactical capabilities.
Edit: Disregard all that. Just consider this a note of interest. XD

In the original lore - you know, the stuff I started off with? - there were going to be "Tholbolds," which would be aquatic batfolk that dwelled in the Thales, a series of oceanic trenches and "underwater islands." In essence, my own form of Atlantis. Perhaps I could take Illithids and do something with them, instead of Tholbolds.

Fun fact: Tholbolds' underwater mounts would have been giant snakes.

So, to sum it up, you want some form of Eldritch tentacle humanoid monster? Ishtarran Ishtarran

I could make them angels of Her Grace, the deity of the Kobolds. Or, I could make them 'demigods,' or 'avatars,' or the 'chosen.'

[Edit]: Oh, yeah, that's also a thing. The Kobolds worship an eldritch goddess.

Last edited:
Hmm, if I made Illithids into what I mentioned before, I'd have difficulty maintaining the LowFantasy I wish to achieve, possibly... Hmm, no, no. It doesn't have to be too difficult.

Hmm, if I made Illithids into what I mentioned before, I'd have difficulty maintaining the LowFantasy I wish to achieve, possibly... Hmm, no, no. It doesn't have to be too difficult.
Eldritch tentacle monster like an illithid or a young aboleth, yes. ^3^

Not an actual demigod (that would be silly, at least with me playing it), though it could be interesting if the Kobolds worshipped such a species, given their natural intellect and ability to sway weak willed adversaries. Telepathy is perhaps questionable, though it isn't impossible for real world creatures to detect, interpret, or perhaps even remotely interfere with another's brainwaves. Their brains and bodies would have to be specialized for it, though... and now that I think about it, both of the base creatures I mentioned are. XD

Edit: If you do choose to swap out the Tholbolds, illithids and their variants all the way. An aboleth just wouldn't work. Sure it's more telepathically powerful and doesn't have the same dietary limits, but they're massive (bigger than ogres and trolls massive) and EXTREMELY slow on land. Maybe the eldritch goddess of the Kobolds is actually an aboleth and they think illithids are its angels (why would either bother to correct them anyway? Free minions and food is a great deal.) Maybe a ulitharid would be considered an archangel. Lol
21819980_122048878455273_1435578078360240128_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ishtarran Ishtarran
I WAS JUST LOOKING UP SOME ILLITHID ART AND THAT CAME UP!!!

Illithids and other eldritch creatures wouldn't be traditional D&D things. The Kobolds already have a set of angels, or a partial set, for their eldritch goddess. You have Beholders, which are headless cyclopes with powerful psychic abilities they utilize for telepathic communications and modifying their CQC techniques. And to anoint other angels known as Watchers.

Er, the hierarchy of authority goes as such: The Lady(God), Gazers(Arch Angels), Beholders("Commanding Angels"), Guardians(Anointed Watchers), Watchers. That's what I had, so far.

Perhaps Illithids could be our Dragonborns? Love their tentacle momma so much they made themselves like her. What they thought she was, anyway. I don't know. That might take out the "low fantasy" part. :thinkthonk:

Hm, Illithids and eldritch creatures really would be difficult to include without breaking the system I had in place. At least, that's if they're a playable race. The world is still largely medieval, and magic is not at all prevalent or at least known by the common folk. The chance of the world meeting a hidden civilization of super-intelligent NEETs is slim. But, the same can be said with Gremlins, which would have been the ancient 'ancestors' of Kobolds, mutated through a magical fuck-up wrought by their own hands.

Ishtarran Ishtarran
I WAS JUST LOOKING UP SOME ILLITHID ART AND THAT CAME UP!!!

Illithids and other eldritch creatures wouldn't be traditional D&D things. The Kobolds already have a set of angels, or a partial set, for their eldritch goddess. You have Beholders, which are headless cyclopes with powerful psychic abilities they utilize for telepathic communications and modifying their CQC techniques. And to anoint other angels known as Watchers.

Er, the hierarchy of authority goes as such: The Lady(God), Gazers(Arch Angels), Beholders("Commanding Angels"), Guardians(Anointed Watchers), Watchers. That's what I had, so far.

Perhaps Illithids could be our Dragonborns? Love their tentacle momma so much they made themselves like her. What they thought she was, anyway. I don't know. That might take out the "low fantasy" part. :thinkthonk:
You did say magic exists, though it's a rare soft system phenomenon. It could be that a magical event created the illithids in a similar manner, but they aren't inherently magical creatures. Modern illithids despise magic anyway, thinking themselves "above" it. Could work. :P

Ishtarran Ishtarran I actually have it fairly defined at this point. Let me get a copy/paste of a convo I was working on. Well, screenshots, rather. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/419734535656177674/493207783538163718/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/419734535656177674/493208056436621322/unknown.png
Now, this might be subject to change in the future, but I find it to be a damn good basis.

And that is true. Illithids are psychotic. I mean psychic.
Let's be honest, both. It's both...

... well, more like neurotic sociopaths in most cases, but close enough.

I like that basis. It's vague as to the what, but clearly establishes the how. Thus nigh any being with a soul has the potential to manifest it, but it's so rare as to be practically nonexistent in the known society of most if not all species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back