• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
"But you got upset at me when I tried to help... You were mad at me..." Xeria still couldn't forget that blank look on Kuroi's face, the aura of menace that rose up when Xeria realised her clever plan turned out to be neither clever or a plan. The picture was beginning to become a lot clearer, and the truth of mistaken intent and misinterpreted actions had taken ahold. But that still didn't explain Xeria's extreme reaction that whole night and this morning.

"You were going to hurt me... if I wasn't being a good girl..."
As Xeria spoke, Kuroi moved from rubbing her back to brushing through her disheveled hair with her hands, slowly cleaning up the mess of knots that had returned after just one terrible day with care. Her hands froze, however, on Xeria's last words, a shake running through Kuroi's body and her brushing only resuming a few moments later. "Xeria." Kuroi took a few breaths before saying anything, making sure nothing ill-thought passed through her mouth. She brushed away strands of hair covering Xeria's ear, leaning close over the witch's head that had found its way to her lap.

For all the thinking she wanted to say she was doing, the words were already etched into her mind from the very beginning. "I would die before I hurt you." She spoke the words quietly, feeling disappointed that she had already failed to live up to them in a literal fashion. "From the moment we first saw each other, I made that commitment. I sleep against the wall as punishment for almost hurting you, once. I will not allow the same mistake again." Kuroi's fingers played with a short strand of hair near Xeria's neck as she spoke. "Nothing will change that. I do not make promises lightly."

"... Do you understand?"

"Xeria." Kuroi took a few breaths before saying anything, making sure nothing ill-thought passed through her mouth. She brushed away strands of hair covering Xeria's ear, leaning close over the witch's head that had found its way to her lap.

For all the thinking she wanted to say she was doing, the words were already etched into her mind from the very beginning. "I would die before I hurt you." She spoke the words quietly, feeling disappointed that she had already failed to live up to them in a literal fashion. "From the moment we first saw each other, I made that commitment. I sleep against the wall as punishment for almost hurting you, once. I will not allow the same mistake again." Kuroi's fingers played with a short strand of hair near Xeria's neck as she spoke. "Nothing will change that. I do not make promises lightly."

"... Do you understand?"

"..."

Xeria at first couldn't respond, stunned into a complete stupor by the conviction in Kuroi's otherwise plain tone. But then stupor gave way to awe... and comfort. The fear that she had was oddly beginning to melt away as Kuroi reaffirmed her commitment to Xeria, slowly erasing the fear that had just conquered the Witch minutes before. That gentle warmth of her hand stroking her hair was equal parts soothing and sedating, coaxing Xeria out of her proverbial shell little by little.

There was one tiny problem though: Kuroi was unintentionally muddling her own message by being so darn close to Xeria's face. The Witch could feel her Summon's breath against her hair and ear, and the feeling of her fingers making curls and loops with strands of her hair; Xeria didn't know if she should've felt the strange ease from Kuroi's clarification and promise, or embarrassed and extremely confused by the casual fact that Kuroi was a little too close.

It wasn't enough to shake Xeria back into hiding though; Kuroi had pulled her Summoner out for good...

"... I understand."

... well, for the most part anyways.

Xeria at first couldn't respond, stunned into a complete stupor by the conviction in Kuroi's otherwise plain tone. But then stupor gave way to awe... and comfort. The fear that she had was oddly beginning to melt away as Kuroi reaffirmed her commitment to Xeria, slowly erasing the fear that had just conquered the Witch minutes before. That gentle warmth of her hand stroking her hair was equal parts soothing and sedating, coaxing Xeria out of her proverbial shell little by little.

"... I understand."
“Good.” Kuroi patted Xeria on the shoulder, lifting her face and shifting herself just a little to encourage Xeria to get up. “There’s a lot of things I wanted to say, but I think they can wait now. Are you feeling better? Do you think you can eat, get dressed, and go to class?” Kuroi was worried about how well Xeria was doing now that she seemed to be a bit more responsive, but Kuroi definitely would benefit if the witch somehow made a miraculous turnaround and would be able to take care of herself for a while.

“Good.” Kuroi patted Xeria on the shoulder, lifting her face and shifting herself just a little to encourage Xeria to get up. “There’s a lot of things I wanted to say, but I think they can wait now. Are you feeling better? Do you think you can eat, get dressed, and go to class?” Kuroi was worried about how well Xeria was doing now that she seemed to be a bit more responsive, but Kuroi definitely would benefit if the witch somehow made a miraculous turnaround and would be able to take care of herself for a while.

It didn't take Xeria too long to give Kuroi an answer. "... Yeah... I think I'm okay now..." With more life returning to Xeria's eyes and skin, the Witch slowly got got up into a proper sitting pose in front of Kuroi. She'd have to do a lot to clean and refresh herself, but Xeria was going to handle that on her own like she always had pre-Kuroi. The bit of grooming Kuroi had managed had tamed a bit of her unruly mess, though not really enough for anyone to consider it "presentable." So it was the first thing Xeria took care of, running her fingers through to disentangle her hair before properly running it through with a hairbrush.

Her nightdress was wrinkled to high hell and nowhere near decent enough, but Xeria could easily just cover up with her coat, so she quickly threw it on along with her hat. The loafers she'd put on as she'd leave.

Overall... It wasn't horrible. Her hair was still considerably greyed and dull unlike it's typical blinding whiteness, and her skin, while still unhealthily pale, had just enough color that nobody would mistake her for a ghost. She still had a ways to go though, and it was easy to forget that Xeria basically had as much sleep as Kuroi had. But with the revitalization that came with Kuroi and Xeria breaking down last night's wall between them (that Xeria put up no less), put enough life back in her to at least survive the day.

"... Thank you, Kuroi."

Her nightdress was wrinkled to high hell and nowhere near decent enough, but Xeria could easily just cover up with her coat, so she quickly threw it on along with her hat. The loafers she'd put on as she'd leave.

Overall... It wasn't horrible. Her hair was still considerably greyed and dull unlike it's typical blinding whiteness, and her skin, while still unhealthily pale, had just enough color that nobody would mistake her for a ghost. She still had a ways to go though, and it was easy to forget that Xeria basically had as much sleep as Kuroi had. But with the revitalization that came with Kuroi and Xeria breaking down last night's wall between them (that Xeria put up no less), put enough life back in her to at least survive the day.

"... Thank you, Kuroi."
Kuroi wanted to retort about Xeria not properly clothing herself, or remind her to eat since she wasn't doing that in Kuroi's sight line, but it was difficult to keep her eyes open at this point and things were already a little hazy for her. Her body leaned left toward the pillow as she waved goodbye to Xeria, the fine-tuned balance of bare minimum that her body functioned off of having been destroyed by the last twenty four or so hours. Equally destroyed were the plans she had had for the day if Xeria did not need her for classes, but those were not time sensitive so she settled for telling herself she could visit and explore tomorrow.

No longer in a mood to maintain appearances, she slipped under the covers without even noticing if the door had shut yet, feverish breathing calming just a little bit as she finally got to the follow up rest that she needed.

Time skip in progress... Please be patient~

FBjAVtdWEAE6s2g.jpg

The King's Academy - Pendragon Mess Hall
Fourth day of Serpent, 493 NE

The morning classes Xeria had were rather pleasant in that she hadn't been called out for the bags under her eyes or her overall lack of hygiene. In fact, the fellow Witches and Wizards that shared classes with her didn't even seem interested in interacting with her, for better or for worse. Although she found it a tad disappointing that her classes were starting off with only reviews of what she already knew, it meant that she could breeze through demonstrations and discussions with supreme ease... Lack of sleep notwitstanding.

Afternoon Tea was one of those few quirks of Junoan culture wholly unique to the kingdom and its denizens; a small meal of tea, sandwiches, scones, and cakes that was once exclusive to the upper classes, but eventually bled into being an activity enjoyed by the entirety of Juno. The Academy was chaotic and busy during when even a fraction of the Academy flooded its many mess halls scattered throughout; the sea of wide-brimmed hats and long coats lent to a suffocating atmosphere of hustle and bustle as students, staff, and everyone else in between walked past one another in bids to find suitable spots to relax and chatter with friends.

Xeria never really understood the reason for a fourth mealtime when Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper already sufficed and filled the stomach, but who was she to complain about more sweets? Such was the situation that the Witch found herself when she squeezed her way out of the Mess Hall, a small plates of cakes and scones in one hand, a warm teacup in the other. She didn't intend on enjoying the tea and cakes by her lonesome, but rather began her trek back to her room to check on Kuroi.

She hadn't much opportunity to check on her Summon when Lunch came and went. Only a cursory peek into her room told her that the Japanese girl was still catching up on sleep, and after fixing the covers and leaving behind a light meal of cut fruits and bread, returned to attending classes and generally living the student lifestyle. By now though, Kuroi had to be awake, if she wasn't waking up already. Xeria only had one final class to attend right after tea, and the plan on seeing if Kuroi was interested in going to the bathhouse that evening was formulating. Maybe Xeria could find a way to make up for everything that happened...

Kuroi stirred awake shortly after Xeria left a small lunch platter in the room, not wanting to get up while the witch was still around on the off chance that she started doing something silly like blaming herself for waking Kuroi up. The summon languidly brought slices of fruit and bread to her mouth, holding each piece close to her mouth with both hands like a squirrel. With nobody around and no plans for the day as she wasn't sure how much time she had left before Xeria was done with classes, she took her time slowly snacking and relaxing, her body fully slackened for the first time since coming to this world as she only heard silence.

After finishing her meal Kuroi sat still as a statue, only blinking and breathing as small signs of life. Her body went to attention each time she heard footsteps or other small sounds through the halls outside and bellow, but nothing happened and she would go back to her relaxed state when she heard whatever individual made the noise leaving.

This continued for an hour or two before Xeria returned, Kuroi finally getting up on hearing the footsteps she recognized in the hall outside. Before Xeria could even try to knock or open the door, Kuroi had opened it herself, stepping aside to let Xeria in. Her head tilted to the side a little seeing the plate of sweets and cup of tea that Xeria was carrying, unsure why food was around so soon after lunch, but did not question it since Xeria may have simply gotten hungry. "Are you done with classes?" Kuroi had to ask, and realized that she should make sure she knew what her summoner's schedule would be before she made plans for tomorrow.

Before Xeria could even try to knock or open the door, Kuroi had opened it herself, stepping aside to let Xeria in. Her head tilted to the side a little seeing the plate of sweets and cup of tea that Xeria was carrying, unsure why food was around so soon after lunch, but did not question it since Xeria may have simply gotten hungry. "Are you done with classes?" Kuroi had to ask, and realized that she should make sure she knew what her summoner's schedule would be before she made plans for tomorrow.

Xeria responded with a quick shake of her head no, not knowing that her oversized hat shuffled around to give the sight of it being a second behind its wearer. "I still have one more class after this, but this's a small afternoon break to let everyone recover a bit before the last class and any activities afterwards." The tea wafted a rich floral aroma as Xeria had set it down by the nightstand. "I thought that since I only got you some fruits and bread for dinner earlier, I'd get you something sweeter until Supper later tonight. And uh..."

Suddenly the topic of bathing got awkward for the Witch, who normally wouldn't have batted an eye at the prospect of relaxation. Maybe it was because of how Kuroi didn't seem comfortable with Juno's bathing culture and how it was so different to her homeland's, but it had been hard to miss the signs of "not quite feeling right" despite her best effort. Xeria wanted to give her summon a better experience. "Well, I was thinking that a spell in the bathhouse would do us some good after everything. We hadn't really gotten an opportunity yesterday..."

Kuroi was slightly confused by this practice of an afternoon small meal, but that was not what caught her attention. "Sweeter? The fruits are very sweet, though." She was not totally unfamiliar with the concept of cakes and sweets, but most were things for the high-class samurai and daimyo. Even with trade happening with the strange foreigners who carried so many new wares, the rumored foods they brought with them were a long way from being spread among her people in an accessible manner.

Since it seemed Xeria would be staying for a few minutes in this break time, Kuroi sat back on the bed, indicating for the apprentice witch to take a seat as well and rest her legs. Kuroi did not touch the sweets just yet, as she was unclear how much was for her. The plate had perhaps too much for her to eat, but there was confusingly only one cup of tea. "A bath?" Kuroi, predictably, did not have much of a perceivable reaction, regardless of Xeria's concerns. "That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a culture of bathing there every day?" Kuroi was slightly curious as the way Xeria spoke gave that impression, but as a traveler that never spent much time in any city she could not imagine such luxury.

Kuroi was slightly confused by this practice of an afternoon small meal, but that was not what caught her attention. "Sweeter? The fruits are very sweet, though." She was not totally unfamiliar with the concept of cakes and sweets, but most were things for the high-class samurai and daimyo. Even with trade happening with the strange foreigners who carried so many new wares, the rumored foods they brought with them were a long way from being spread among her people in an accessible manner.

Since it seemed Xeria would be staying for a few minutes in this break time, Kuroi sat back on the bed, indicating for the apprentice witch to take a seat as well and rest her legs. Kuroi did not touch the sweets just yet, as she was unclear how much was for her. The plate had perhaps too much for her to eat, but there was confusingly only one cup of tea. "A bath?" Kuroi, predictably, did not have much of a perceivable reaction, regardless of Xeria's concerns. "That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a culture of bathing there every day?" Kuroi was slightly curious as the way Xeria spoke gave that impression, but as a traveler that never spent much time in any city she could not imagine such luxury.

"Mmhm." The bobbing of her hat exaggerated Xeria's small nod as she continued. "Every day if you can, every other day if you're a busy person. It's how we cool down and refresh after a long day, after all." Xeria quietly passed the teacup and platter over to Kuroi. "We don't have many natural springs in Juno, so we compensate with all these public bathhouses. They're great places to wash up, socialize, and even exercise if you're so inclined. It's our little getaway from the nuances of everyday life and its labours." It was only dawning that Xeria had only gotten the one teacup for Kuroi to enjoy, although the amount of scones and sandwiches on the larger platter was clearly meant for them both. Thankfully nothing looked heavy or filling at initial glance, just simple treats that was more meant to accompany the tea than be enjoyed by their lonesome.

"Also... I get the feeling that you never got a proper first impression of the bathhouse... So I want to do it properly this time! Maybe it's nothing like you're used to, but I can try to make it better!"

Last edited:
"Mmhm." The bobbing of her hat exaggerated Xeria's small nod as she continued. "Every day if you can, every other day if you're a busy person. It's how we cool down and refresh after a long day, after all." Xeria quietly passed the teacup and platter over to Kuroi. "We don't have many natural springs in Juno, so we compensate with all these public bathhouses. They're great places to wash up, socialize, and even exercise if you're so inclined. It's our little getaway from the nuances of everyday life and its labours." It was only dawning that Xeria had only gotten the one teacup for Kuroi to enjoy, although the amount of scones and sandwiches on the larger platter was clearly meant for them both. Thankfully nothing looked heavy or filling at initial glance, just simple treats that was more meant to accompany the tea than be enjoyed by their lonesome.

"Also... I get the feeling that you never got a proper first impression of the bathhouse... So I want to do it properly this time! Maybe it's nothing like you're used to, but I can try to make it better!"
Kuroi listened with her gaze drifting occasionally back to the plate and cup that Xeria had brought in, her body subtly swaying side to side on the soft bed as the fledgling witch kept talking. As Xeria declared her earnest intent for the bathhouse, though, Kuroi gave her a look that lasted a few seconds, and waited a few seconds longer after she had started looking off at the wall or something, before replying with a light shake of her head, eyes closed. "Please do not feel depressed if you cannot. My discomfort with it is at a very base level I do not think you would understand or could reasonably address." Kuroi called the intention of Xeria's proposal with unnerving accuracy, and her atonal voice did not aid in her attempt to cushion Xeria for being 'let down easy'.

Kuroi, finally ceasing her movements, pointed lightly at the refreshments that Xeria had brought. "Um, are these for me?" She restored eye contact for her topic change, her legs crossing and uncrossing over the edge of the bed.

"Please do not feel depressed if you cannot. My discomfort with it is at a very base level I do not think you would understand or could reasonably address." Kuroi called the intention of Xeria's proposal with unnerving accuracy, and her atonal voice did not aid in her attempt to cushion Xeria for being 'let down easy'.

The line that Xeria's mouth curled into was indicative of her displeasure at being called out, but it didn't stop her from pushing on. "It still won't stop me from trying, Kuroi. If I can make you feel even a tiny bit at home here, then I'll try; it's the least I can do." Her unerring determination for Kuroi was something to commend, although many would say it was misplaced.

Kuroi, finally ceasing her movements, pointed lightly at the refreshments that Xeria had brought. "Um, are these for me?" She restored eye contact for her topic change, her legs crossing and uncrossing over the edge of the bed.

"Oh all this?" Xeria had pointed to the platter and tea she had brought in. "Well, you missed breakfast today, and the food I brought in earlier wasn't very fulfilling, so I thought I should get something while I had the chance. It's not much, and it might not even be stuff you'd like, but y'know..." Xeria was doing a terrible job at subtlety, her intention of trying to mend bridges with Kuroi being plain for even a blind and deaf person. "I feel like I've been an emotional and mental burden on you..."

"Oh all this?" Xeria had pointed to the platter and tea she had brought in. "Well, you missed breakfast today, and the food I brought in earlier wasn't very fulfilling, so I thought I should get something while I had the chance. It's not much, and it might not even be stuff you'd like, but y'know..." Xeria was doing a terrible job at subtlety, her intention of trying to mend bridges with Kuroi being plain for even a blind and deaf person. "I feel like I've been an emotional and mental burden on you..."
Kuroi slowly blinked, looking at Xeria with a blank stare. "I see. Lunch was plenty though? And this is too much." A little bit ago, when Xeria had handed her the platter and cup, Kuroi had been troubled by her hands being occupied so she had made room on the platter for the cup and set it to the side on the bed, not having easy access to the bedside table. Now, without her looking as if it had a mind of its own, her right hand reached back to grab the plate, handed it off to her left hand, and in a moment space opened up between the two where she set the food down. "It'd be a waste not to eat it, though. Would you help?" A small sandwich was brought to her lips after she spoke, taking a nibble of the unfamiliar food with no reaction, remaining still as she continued to take very small bites of the sandwich she had grabbed.

She did cast a sidelong glance to Xeria, though, watching to see if the apprentice witch would take her up on the offer. The cup of mystery liquid remained untouched for the moment, Kuroi not taking the initiative to test the oddly covered beverage.

Kuroi slowly blinked, looking at Xeria with a blank stare. "I see. Lunch was plenty though? And this is too much." A little bit ago, when Xeria had handed her the platter and cup, Kuroi had been troubled by her hands being occupied so she had made room on the platter for the cup and set it to the side on the bed, not having easy access to the bedside table. Now, without her looking as if it had a mind of its own, her right hand reached back to grab the plate, handed it off to her left hand, and in a moment space opened up between the two where she set the food down. "It'd be a waste not to eat it, though. Would you help?" A small sandwich was brought to her lips after she spoke, taking a nibble of the unfamiliar food with no reaction, remaining still as she continued to take very small bites of the sandwich she had grabbed.

She did cast a sidelong glance to Xeria, though, watching to see if the apprentice witch would take her up on the offer. The cup of mystery liquid remained untouched for the moment, Kuroi not taking the initiative to test the oddly covered beverage.

"Well, that was the plan so... I'd be happy to help!" Despite the initial enthusiasm in her voice, Xeria was notably subdued when she began taking from the platter to eat, which was not at all how she was when they last ate at the mess hall. The Witch hadn't been afraid to happily munch down on a small hill of food when they last ate together, but here she was politely making tiny nibbles out of the biscuit she had in her hand. Xeria hadn't touched the tea since it was supposed to be for Kuroi, and didn't seem to budge even as the tea began to cool.

The two continued to eat in silence until the platter was devoid of it's sweets. Xeria understandably had to eat the majority when Kuroi politely refused to take any more; the former felt a little upset that Kuroi looked so intent on fasting (when in reality Xeria is just a massive glutton who doesn't get fat). What else could Xeria do; if Kuroi didn't want to eat much then she didn't want to, simple as that. It wasn't like Xeria had the power or will to force-feed Kuroi anyways...

"I already said, but it's only one more class before I'm done for the day." The finished platter was in Xeria's hands as she stood up from the bed. "You don't have to stay cooped up in here; I should be back in an hour, and then we can go get cleaned up and rest in the Bathhouse, okay?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back