• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Sword to Wield with a Broken Hilt IC

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Finally? You've clearly never visited Rhas." Faenor grit his teeth as the blade patched him up. "Or is your only interaction with mages on the field of battle, or when you and Scabbards persecute them? I know at least ten mages back home who only use their magic to make farming easier. Five others who work their magic to aid in hunting so their towns can stock up for the winter months. Pyromancers who create roaring hearth fires for the less favored to stay warm in the cold of night. Geomancers who create stable tunnels for miners to avoid deaths that greedy owners would've saw as a reasonable risk for their own gain." Faenor fixed Borre with... Not a hateful gaze, but one full of disappointment. A human wants to lecture him about mages and ruining lives? He's lived well over a century now, possibly even a century longer than the one before him now.

"You want to talk about innocents killed in the crossfire? How about we begin with the non-humans who are killed by Blades purely off the allegations of being a Mage? Want to confirm the rumors I've heard about the Scabbards and their so called Mage reformation? Oh, the nightmarish tales whispered amongst the Rebellion of what will happen to them if they're captured by your lot." He allowed more venom to come through as his gaze hardened. "As if your soldiers are any better. The bastards won't leave us alone. We merely wish to be allowed to use a gift we have, and we're being threatened with death for existence. Is it any wonder our soldiers would want your ilk dead? You corner an animal, don't be surprised when it fights back. Much is the same for a person."

Once he was bandaged up, he pushed himself to stand, swaying slightly under his own weight. He had more to say, and sitting idly by wouldn't help the impact of it. Bloodstains peeking out from where he's been bandaged, soaked into his clothes. "Young mages? Don't care who dies? Get over yourself and your preconceptions, Blade. If I were in the business of sending the young and uninformed to their death, do you think I'd be here? Why would I, Romulus Faenor, Scion of House Fae of Rhas put his life in danger? Why would I not send some random Mage to aid the Hilt, in the stead of one of the trusted advisors of Algar Theano? If I cared not for who died, why would I put my life on the line, doing what I could to protect a town of people I've never spoken to? Is that the actions of a monster to you? One who had every potential chance to hide away behind luxury and position, choosing to be front and center? Are you so blind, that you can't see the simple fact that there are Mages willing to stand with the Hilt, but oddly no Blades? Who, in the name of the Twins, do you think you are to judge the organization to which I belong, when yours abandons their duties to the Hilt?" As Yona began her rant, he'd allow himself to slump back on the hay, closing his eyes as he forced himself to calm. Yeah... Bit too much on the emotions side of things. His companion can argue or yell till her face turned blue, he got out what he wanted to say. He didn't even bother to see who was crying. He didn't care. He wasn't one to comfort anyone.

Interaction: seasonedcat seasonedcat

Mentions: AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa CasualTea CasualTea

Tiria & Siv

8rlmuqvoebh41.jpgSiv sensed the shift in the air long before the sound of the portal snapped through the air. He lifted his head, eye glinting in the unholy light that swarmed the sky. Seeing this, Tiria followed his gaze, frowning at the cut in the sky. She found herself stepping towards the stable window, ignoring the bickering of the mages and Borre for a moment. A sickening fascination overcame her as she watched the tear in reality twitch, as if yawning hungrily, then finally shut with a snap.

"It's gone?" Tiria sputtered, feeling a wave of relief wash over her. She sat on a nearby crate, suddenly feeling the cold and exhaustion grip her. Siv brushed up against her and she absentmindedly rubbed his ears while she tried to process what she just saw. A tear had closed. Did this mean all this madness could be stopped?

It was the voice of Yona that snapped her back to the present argument. The more the two mages spoke the more she could feel the anger bubbling in her blood, rising up like a white hot tide. This half dressed harlot was speaking about mage rights as if they were just some harmless

"Buggar off will you? Going off about 'rights' and acting like mages aren't unnatural freaks and monsters. Because that's all you are, and will ever be. Monsters that prey on the weak and vulnerable unless they're locked up" Tiria growled, narrowing her eyes until her pupils were like catlike slits. "D'you even know how your conductors are made? Like, really made? You think your poor mages in the prisons are tortured?"

Tiria let out a bitter scoff. "Funny you don't talk about magic harvesting. How your lot rip the life essence out of screaming beasts, keep em chained and flayed to harvest their bits while still alive. Oh sure some like to use herbs and dry bones, but that won't really cut it, does it. Not for the real spells. No, you need it fresh, don't you? You need the lives of bigger and better creatures, and if you can't find them, well I'm sure a few missing people will do. You're all just animals, really. Abusing your demonic power over others and sucking the life out of the world until there's nothing left."

"Way I see it, there's not a single difference between you-"
she kicked at the corpse of the monster, causing it to roll over with a slump into the mud, "-and these monsters. One just likes to play pretend"

Tiria's shoulders were tense, her fists clenched at her sides and an intense glint in the glare she shot at the both of them. There was not a single doubt in the world that if she had the power or the skill, she would gladly kill the two mages in front of her. But she couldn't. All she could do was glare and bite with words. Her breathing was heavy from the anger, and it almost looked like she was going to throw herself at Faenor, but instead she stomped towards the exit of the stables.

Borre could keep the horse from dying. Right now she needed to be as far away from these monsters as possible. She didn't stop to comfort Eldemira, but on her way out she gave her a glare. "Grow up, will you? Crying doesn't solve anything, and it's not like anyone gives a damn anyway..."

"Come on, Siv."
She said, though Siv was already behind her, trotting with only the slightest of limps.

• Sitra
    012da7c6f2acc355361665c370226c9e.jpg

Even as the scabbard girl ran to the stables, I was left dumfounded and looking at the sky. It seemed to have just... stopped, with nothing but that shriek to tell us why. The few minutes of a notable absence of monsters was also odd, but then there had to be some end to them, right? My snail of a mind just couldn't help but picture me hurrying towards the church, and getting laughed at for being so worried after we won. Was it normal for those things in the sky to just up and disappear like that? Did it mean something, was it like a cloud going away after the rain or more like a door being shut after all the guests walked in? My feet rocked a bit back and forth as I mused, but nope, I couldn't think of anything, and I doubted any idea I did have was a good one. But going back having done nothing would be plain embarrassing, and there might still be danger for me to help them with. Either way, just being there and doing nothing was started to make itch a bit.

..........​

"What happened there?" As I approached the church I began to notice the smoke rising in the air. There was also a growing permeating heat that contrasted with the previous cold of a night in the rain. The church's decadent state became apparent as it came into view. The fire and smoke and how it all looked so broken, it was like something exploded, something huge! Did they do that? Did the creature they were fighting? Whatever the answer, it was clear the monster at the church was far tougher than anything in those herds the rest of us were fending off. A hint of guilt tinged my chest. I had my own concerns to worry about, but I should have been there. I should have known better than to do the things I always did. This was not going to be the same kind of travelling I had been doing so far, of course it wouldn't! The growing heat was stinging in the wounds I got, but they surely had their fare share of them as well. I just hoped they were alright. Indeed I should hav-

"No no no no no no." I said, shaking my head and then rubbing my temples. "What are you even thinking? No way that's true. They are fine, you'll see! The leader is that hilt-thingie he's gotta have some super secret super cool magic or something, and that guy in the helmet seemed like he'd make a pretty tough guard too, didn't he? What's there to even worry about? They are fine. They are absolutely fine. Why would I even hurry? Well, cause I wanna go see for myself of course! I wanna go see the results of their great, flawless victory over whatever thing they were fighting, and then I'm gonna go back and tell everyone about it!"

I forced a chuckle, and finally arrived at the doorstep of the burning building. I found myself gulping down some air, gripping one of the swords I produced, and then making my way inside, covering by mouth with a glove to keep out the smoke.

"Anselm? Helmet guy? You in here?" I shouted, eyes brightening as the relief washed over me like a warm bucket of water in the winter, seeing the two of them next to each other, both still moving. They were... a little less than fine by all appearances, but they certainly were nothing like that mound of charred flesh on the ground over yonder. It's foul smell festered in nose, so I honestly didn't want to get any closer, but my desire to speak with the two of them was stronger. I found my smile brightening again. "Hey hey! This is where you were? Is the fighting over? Well, I mean, I can SEE it is over... assuming that thing is... well, anyway, I guess I'm a bit late haha... Faenor and the hor- Yona, Tiria and her dog have grouped near the stables, so we're all safe? I think? Well, it's not like I really know how these things work anyway hahaha... Wait, wasn't there another person with you? Faenor, Yona, Tiria, Sitra, Anselm, helmet, doggo..."

I began counting with my fingers. Yup, I could have sworn there was someone missing.

"I'm sure there was at least one more person. Did they get hurt? Are they just somewhere else in town?"

My eyes scoured the room trying to spot if the alleged missing person was here, and wouldn't you know it, but there she was. A small child with scales and a tail, wounded and lying by one of the walls. I hesitated for a moment, since as I was about to shout out her name it dawned on me I didn't even know enough for a nickname, so instead I just found myself suddenly running towards her. I tossed my sword aside and knelt next to her.

"Hey, are you alright? No, of course she can't answer, what am I, stupid? Yes, but that's not the point, uh, what do I do?" What would she do? I pulled the girl closed to my knees so at least her head wouldn't be on the ground and poked her a bit. "Hello? Uh, what do I do, what do I do?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interacting With: seasonedcat seasonedcat Goonfire Goonfire Firelie Firelie
Mentions: Juju Juju CasualTea CasualTea The True Plague The True Plague
Might Also Want to Read: N/A​

Hackel coughed, crimson droplets staining the fabric obscuring his face. “You’re not… going to die,” he wheezed. “… Not here.” He ignored his own wounds to apply pressure to Anselm’s. Rummaging through his pack revealed a wet spot. The bounty hunter’s flask of strong liquor had cracked from the impact against the altar and leaked onto his other supplies. Had other items not absorbed the bulk of the impact, that glass would have shattered completely.

Splashing the wound with his remaining alcohol and utilizing a set of simple cloth bandages, he worked quickly to disinfect and bind the Hilt’s wounds—as tightly as he could manage. With his minimal survival essentials, this was the best he could do. Stopping the bleeding was essential, at this point. As he finished his attempt, his vision blurred and doubled slightly. For a mere, fleeting second, he could see his son’s visage in place of Anselm’s features.

Footsteps… Hackel shook out of his blood loss-induced stupor when he realized help was on the way… until it wasn’t. The bounty hunter furrowed his hidden brow as the long-winded girl barged in and debated aloud what to do. This wasn’t helpful, and the warrior grew impatient. An agitated growl erupted from him. “GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF,” he commanded her, a near-roar fading into another pitiful cough that made his chest quiver. His clenched fist unfurled to press on his own wound. “Save him. I’ve got… the girl.” There was great urgency behind his demands; he saw Alterne had merely suffered a flesh wound. It didn’t measure up to the deep, life-threatening gouges Anselm sustained defending her. He knew she would be fine, despite that and the side effects of her eldritch artifacts.

seasonedcat seasonedcat Idea Idea Firelie Firelie

• Sitra

I nearly jumped in place while I attempted to wake up the unconscious girl with reptilian features, after the man in the helmet suddenly roared at me. Nearly forgetting I'd pulled the child onto me I shot a wide-eyed glance right at him.

"R-right! I thought you were carrying him, sorry! I-I'll just..." I gave the small girl one last poke, before slowly lowering her back onto the floor. I gave the man a look, partially as if to ask to look after her, and partially just to confirm from his face if I wasn't messing up... which really was done more out of habit than anything, considering there was no way I could see his face given what he wore over it.

I then hurried to Anselm's side His wounds were probably far more serious than I'd realized.. Thankfully, I at least had some idea of what to do with a wounded person, as opposed to a fragile child that had been rendered unconscious. My first thought was that I could try to use some healing magic, but mine wasn't strong enough to do anything significant to wounds as bad as Anselm's seemed to be. It was then that I remembered:

"The horses!" My head perked up as the thought came to me. I looked at helmet guy. "Back in the stables, the horses had our supplies with them! If we get the two of them there, we could use those, I think! Faenor and uh Hona, uh, was it Yorna, anyways they are there too, and this other blade person who helped us, maybe they know how to help more!"

Having said that, I got on one knee next to Anselm.

"May I?" I asked. If he allowed it. I would have one of my arms reaching to go under his legs and the other below his upper back. They would tremble, all of my limbs, as I struggled to lift him up from the ground. It would be too much for me to carry him all the way to the stables like that, so I would have to put him down, and take out my connector, only then would I try again.

"Vea, nye marquet colo atsa." I would say (if the gesture of taking out the connector didn't change his mind), a small gust seeming to cycle between my arm and under the body of the Hilt, pushing him up just enough to make it viable for me to carry him. I worried a little, but such a small spell, of a kind I'd casted before today even, shouldn't really be such a danger.

Interacting With: seasonedcat seasonedcat Goonfire Goonfire Firelie Firelie
Mentions: CasualTea CasualTea The True Plague The True Plague

Act II

Respite in a Field of Endless Strife

Warm wind, muffled voices. A language she couldn't comprehend, from individuals she couldn't understand. Bare toes nestled between warm grains of shifting sand. Around her, a sea of grey blobs. Strange shapes danced in her vision, like the inane scribbles of a bored child, dancing and shifting in a pattern less, chaotic motion. Behind them, a sea of red rose up into the sky, Spiraling towers smooshed together like puzzle pieces, each dancing to its own tune, drifting back and forth to its own whims. She reached out only to be met with an invisible surface, a cold wall that separated her from the bizarre scene before her. She pushed and the image rippled like water disturbed by a thrown rock. She pushed harder, and her hand melted through the wall and into the scene. She stopped a moment, then pushed forward. Her forearm reached through, then the rest of her arm, and then...

Alterne Ember

Upon coming to consciousness Alterne was greeted by a cacophony of pain and chaos across her body. Her wrist stung in a way that those blood-suckling ivory shackles could make them sting, her neck and chest felt like they were on fire, her ankle felt like it had been ripped off entirely, a delirious buzz swamped her every fiber, something hot oozed out of her throbbing ears. The worst of it though was the horrible ringing, oh the ringing. It pierced her skull and ripped through her mind. Each attempt at something as simple as thought was drowned out by the horrid, unyielding buzz. Just as it drowned out her thoughts it also robbed the blind girl of her most important sense, her hearing. Alterne struggled her way into a sitting position, at least she thought she did. She could hardly tell what she was doing to herself, every action felt like an impossible struggle to push through invisible goop in some wretched primordial soup. She wasn't alone in her sense deprived state as some muffled noise echoed through the endless ringing that swallowed Alterne's mind. Without the ability to so much as think, Alterne could do nothing more than act on her knee-jerk reactions.

"WHERE ARE YOU?" The girl screamed, her voice strained and pathetic. "WHERE..." She reached shackled hands upwards and turned her blood-covered face up with them. "HELP ME! I CAN'T..." She sobbed desperately, clawing desperately at nothing. Alterne pushed back with her feet, unable to get more than a couple of inches away from the approaching Hackel. "DE-DELIVER ME..." Alterne strained to reach upwards further with open palms. "I...I'M SORRY!" She cried as her pleas turned to a desperate apology. "I...I... For-" A sudden coughing fit came over the girl as her voice began to give out from all the screaming she has done over the past battle. She sobbed quietly as the coughing fit came and went, Alterne slumped onto her side in defeat her pleading having been replaced by a weak, breathy sobbing. Beside the blood-spattered girl, most of which was not her own, her bag of trinkets lay despondently on it's side and further off her bell still lay in the sludge left behind by the now defeated beast. It's connecting chain was the only thing visible, snaking out and a short ways in the groups direction.
--
MENTIONS: Idea Idea Goonfire Goonfire seasonedcat seasonedcat

Borre rubbed his temples with his bloodied fingers as he finished. He was hardly on the side for people against mages, he didn't agree with the slaughter of anyone. But no matter what, he had seen the destruction they had caused, the ones they clearly don't look back on as they thump their chests, the same way Blades did. Nothing was as it should be, the organization he wanted to join was nothing like it should be, but the mages were none of the better.
1649695394698.png
"I never said I agreed with what blades did, I know first hand the horrors they can do," his face softened for a moment before returning to his normal look, "but conflict, destruction of others without a second thought, what the mage rebellion has done has shown them to be no better than the blades. The only difference is anyone can pick up a sword to try and defend against another's sword, there isn't much one can pick up to defend against fire. I want to believe in your cause, I always have, but the way that the mage rebellion has shown itself has done little to prove anything but that our fears aren't far from the truth. If you care so much about the innocents who don't use magic and are pacifists, maybe you should have tried to use that as your leading argument instead of slaughtering people with the very magic they were afraid of."

as he spoke he cleaned up, as much the mages liked to deny it, there was no reason as to why not be on edge around them. They hold the ability to destroy so much without much efforts, most people fear those who had weapons. The only difference is that mages always had their weapons, they could hide them so easily, they could destroy so much more than a person with a sword could. They have not shown restraint, they have not shown pacifism. All they have shown is that they are exactly the monsters everyone feared them to be. They gave no trust so why would the people give any back to them?

the little stable lady had good points before she walked off, however the sobbing child who ran in distracted him as he rushed forward to her and gently went to hold the side of her upper arms if she let him, "shhhh little one its okay, you are safe now." he spoke to her softly as he quickly checked her over for injuries. She must have been a priest in training from the church here, or maybe a friend of the stable hand at how they seemed to recognize each other. He offered her a soft smile, "I will keep you safe do not worry, it's my duty as a blade." he gently patted her head on instinct, hopefully receiving a different reaction than he had earlier from the stable hand.
The True Plague The True Plague CasualTea CasualTea AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Juju Juju
---
Anselm could hear muffled noises from wherever he was, deep in some sort of water where light was too weak to penetrate. His eyes couldn't open and he could feel himself drift farther down as the noises began to drift farther and farther away.
1649695360326.png
⚠️TW| nongraphic sexual assault |just a flashback, don't need to read⚠️

soon he found himself sitting in a familiar garden, the breeze blowing through his hair in a way that always seemed to comfort him. The garden was always well kept, servants spending their days working on it, having left as the sun began to disappear, shadows echoing through the vines.

the scent of dirt and flowers filled his nose as he stretched his arms, taking another sip of the pungent liquid in his metal flask as he closed his eyes and laid down on the grass. The sound of familiar footsteps filled his ears as he tensed, calling out in a playful tone at them, "Susanna you know you are horrible at sneaking up on people, those heels aren't good for that purpose." he sat up just as she sat down next to him, catching his lips in hers. He tensed, the usual grip of pain filling his chest when she did this. He stilled himself, allowing her to kiss him deeply before she moved away for a breath. She then just stared at him, a look of pain in her face.

"I know, I know, I said I wouldn't drink again in the house but-"

"I'm sorry Anselm."

"huh?" he blinked at her, confused. What had Miss perfect ever done wrong. His mind screamed many things at him at what she had done wrong to him but he brushed that away.

"They will help you, they will fix you and then we will be able to be together like the brothers made us to be." Anselm shifted away from him,

"Susanna what did you do?" he spoke, fear gripping his voice as he began to shake. She promised she wouldn't, she promised.

"You are tainted but they can help, how could I leave you to suffer like that?" she gently held his face but he shoved her away from him aggressively,

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?" he screamed at her, his breathing shaking as he struggled to think. The sounds of guards footsteps could be heard as he stood up to try and run if he could before she threw herself on him, trying to stop him from running, "SUSANNA LET GO OF ME!" he shoved her hard, her falling onto the ground, hitting her head as blood fell from her forehead, he froze. Hurting the Hilt was a crime of treason. "I didn't mean to Sansanna-" he began before he was grabbed by many hands, the guards pinning him to the ground, the dirt going into his teeth as he could hear his sister's panicked voice in the distance as he began to drift farther away from the scene. He knew what story events came next, and he would rather drown then relive those.

⚠️|TW end|⚠️

Sitra managed to hold up the replacement hilt, his underweight body aiding her in lifting him. The small gusts of wind seemed to work better than expected as if they too wanted to help, unknowingly to the people around his unconscious body was the slight glow from something on Anselm's belt as she used this magic. Even still, a wave of heat seemed to wash over her, burning in her core like a small flame that was far too close to ones insides. The wind seemed to cause it to spread inside her, no doubt a backlash at her use of multiple magics. It burned her channels lightly, she would live but it would hurt to use magic for a little while.
Idea Idea Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
With the Hilt secured for carrying, Hackel moved to Alterne. She seemed even lighter than Anselm, so it would be easier to lift her in his state. He did so, scooping up the girl in his bloodstained arms.

Both Hackel and Sitra seemed ready to move. The former had been abrasive previously, so he offered a simple “Thank you,” and a motion with his head, indicating for her to come along. The stables would be a bit of a walk, so kept a brisk pace. At one point early on, he slowed awkwardly and swayed. His own blood loss weighed on him more and more. The world spun if he didn’t steady himself well enough.

The morning light also revealed the true horrors of the night before. Blood and gore painted the streets sickening hues of crimson. The bodies of humans and charred remains of demons were strewn about chaotically. The bounty hunter could hear the cries of the handful of survivors—not of terror, but mourning. The scene made him wonder what could’ve been done to prevent this, yet no solution came to mind; one would need clairvoyance to answer such a question.

seasonedcat seasonedcat Idea Idea Firelie Firelie

"And how were we to lead with such an argument?" Faenor scowled at Borre, opening his eyes again despite how much he wanted to drift off for a nap. "You think a Mage is born, knowing how to control his powers? Ignoring that all it takes is one bad apple to sour the reception of a group, how do we explain the fact that not everyone has perfect control of their abilities? I've practiced for a century, and I still make minor errors in control that lead to damages. We don't even have the benefit of the Blades, who are a very specific group. Anyone can take up a sword and commit a tragedy, and the Blades can disavow it as one of their own. One Mage goes out of control, and the Rebellion catches the outrage whether they're aligned with us or a rogue Mage."

Turning his gaze to Tiria, he'd merely scoff. "Of course I know how my conductor is made. My gloves are drenched in the blood of a red dragon. We work with groups throughout the kingdoms to collect materials from beasts that are plaguing villages and cities. Am I now responsible for the bad apples in those groups too? Should I also be blamed if my tailor turns out to be a serial killer in his spare time? We hire them for a service. They collect monsters that can be made into conductors, we provide payment for the materials. What they do besides what we pay for, is on them, not us. Last I checked, it wasn't exactly in their statements they're harvesting people..." He trailed off on that one, hand upon his chin. He's not actually visited any of the camps these people actually set up in. He's just had the middlemen meet for payment and drop off materials. Surely they wouldn't lie to him, or others in the Rebellion. Surely must be lies.

As Tiria ran off, much like she did in the battle to be a useless rodent, Faenor decided to at the very least meditate for now. He can't exactly sleep in case they have to leave town. He pulled himself into more of a seated position, arms resting upon his knees. However, he had one last thing to say. "Thank you, Blade, for the medical assistance rendered." He wasn't an ungrateful sot. They may argue, and be on opposing sides, but he still had manners. Now if they could get the crying girl to shut up, he could meditate in peace.

Interacts with: Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat
Mentions: AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa
Also there in this scene: CasualTea CasualTea

9au8XWi.png
The relief Edelmira felt at arriving to her friends quickly diminished as they exchanged words with one another. First came an agitated accusation of mages from the unfamiliar face: Borre. It initially flew over Mira's head, as her mind still wrangled itself inside out. What she couldn't ignore, though, was the sword woman's blatantly provocative response. She discussed the Blades and Scabbards, the latter being the group Mira's own family was part of. She dragged them through the mud, accusing said groups of unspeakable things, just as Borre did the mages.

Mira could look past that, too; the same girl, Yona, wrapped her around her arms. Her voice came soothing, a stark contrast to the harshness earlier.

The provoking did not end there, however. Edelmira perked her head up, sensing something amiss despite the chaos of tonight seemingly coming to a close. Faenor rattle on with the Blade for who-knows-what. The things he said—they weren't pleasant to hear. Mira felt herself squirm amid her crying, trying to block out his mentions of needless death. Death, death, death; she'd had more than enough of death for one day, when would he stop?

Mira buried her face into her arms. Another voice joined the escalating argument, a familiar one at that. Not that Mira chose to think the speaker was her "only real friend" in this adventure. Mages... unnatural freaks... monsters... They weren't monsters... Monsters were the things that destroyed the village!

A glimmer of hope shone on Edelmira glanced up to see Tiria making her way over. Even through her relentless tears, she could make out the thief girl. They were close in age and one of the first people Mira spoke to; the young Scabbard considered her a friend. No way was she behind the scathing voice from before. She reached a hand out to the girl. "Tiria—!"

"Grow up, will you? Crying doesn't solve anything, and it's not like anyone gives a damn anyway..."

Mira's hand retracted, and she quieted as though someone went up and slapped her. What did I do wrong? Everything that Tiria said earlier... was it because of me...? Does she know I use magic...? Is being a mage that horrible?

Borre had noticed Mira as well, and went over to comfort her much like Yona. This time, however, the Scabbard didn't even seem to notice. Her eyes remained wide, staring at the ground empty. The only movement she showed after was a flinch once Faenor began speaking his winded rebuttal. Mira went through... whatever the past few hours were—she had no idea how to describe them; she'd never experienced anything like it—why were they all bickering over useless things? Was she the one not normal? Were the dead people a familiar sight outside in the world?

The tears flowed out again. Then her dry sobs. This time, she rose to her feet, escaping the grasps of Borre and Yona. She took the oar—her connector—using what mana she had left to entrap everyone in a bubble: Faenor, Borre, Yona, Tiria...

The bubbles emerged abruptly, rapidly encasing each of them. Only Edelmira stood untouched. Face drenched in tears and shriveled up with horror, sadness, and anger all combined, she glanced around everybody briefly.

"SHUT UP!" Her throat strained. Mira bent over as she shouted, forcing all air out from her lungs. "What are you all doing?!" Her breathing collapsed into shortened and jagged quivers. "Those p-people. People! Are dead! People are dying! They're screaming! I didn't even know people could scream like that!" Her sobbing began to mix in with the yelling; she couldn't even see anyone's faces at this point.

"Instead you're all pointing fingers and arguing over non-important things—who cares if they're a Blade or a Mage?!" Mira pointed outside the barn. "There are people m-missing their bottom halves... I never thought they could look so... so..." Now her huffing and sniffling interrupted each word. "Th-They looked so scared... Their eyes, their... Their eyes..." The face of the cadaver returned to mind. She could see it every time she blinked, and it never went away. It scared her. "We need to help them..."

Finally, the bubbles all popped simultaneously, splashing into a puddle beneath everyone's feet. Edelmira stumbled away, the only thing holding herself being her arms in a self-hug. She wanted to go out and help everyone like she'd just reprimanded, but only exhaustion remained after her anger. "Why do none of you care..." Her crying, save for the occasional hiccup, went quiet. Tears still ran down her face, but she lacked any more energy to sob as uncontrollably as had earlier.

Edelmira fell beside a stable wall, curling up alone.

Faenor had almost managed some form of concentration and peace, when the universe decided to remind him that he may not have nice things. As if outside forces wished to kick dirt in his face for daring to step out of his usual comfort zone and sphere of influence to do something that he figured would be a well calculated gamble. After all, why shouldn't he have stayed home, enjoyed the wine and scenery of his forest home.

It started with the crying turning into ugly sobbing. That disgusting, dry sob of one who clearly is broken by what's going on. He's heard it once or twice, usually after one has lost much. He's even caused such sobs once or twice in his life, he's sure of it. Then it turned to a bubble around him. He visibly flinched as it encased him.

He was a pyromancer. He staked his life upon his flames, and found the roar of a raging inferno comforting. For a hydromancer to encase HIM in a bubble, was an outrage. The fragile calm he had managed was shattered as anger stirred again. Who, in the absolute fuck, in the name of the Twins, was this brat to lecture him? This, presumably sheltered girl who had no idea of real life wanted to lecture him about this? As if he didn't know those people were dead or dying? As if he didn't know what he'd see if he went out there. He may never have been an operative out in a battlefield, but he's seen remains of those who returned. He could envision the scenes of carnage that have unfolded.

As her sniffling and huffing began to stall her words, he shakily pushed himself to stand once more, gloves smoking from where they touched the bubble. If she hadn't released the bubble when she did, he'd have hurt himself to forcefully pop his bubble. "Do you think you're helping the dead and dying by giving us a fucking lecture? Do you think somehow we don't know the people of this town have died and are dying?" It was slow, but he began to move towards Edelmira, stomping through the puddles pooling on the ground.

"There's not a damn fucking thing we can do to help them at this point. Maybe the Blade can go render medical aid to any survivors who aren't critical, but he's not a Scabbard! Me and Yona have depleted our reserves just to hold back the waves of monsters from further harming the survivors! The fuck am I meant to do? Maybe I can stagger at them and they can laugh at the injured Elf." Finally, he was over her, and he crouched, golden eyes gleaming in the dimness of the stables.

"People are going to die. This isn't some feel good mission from the fairytales. We're seeking to fix this problem, that's why Anselm has sought to gather people for a quest. We can't break down over every single broken egg. They're going to be broken, they're going to be afraid, and worst of all, we won't be able to save them all, or help. You want to see them aided? Get out there, and fucking do your part then. I didn't see you standing against the waves of monsters swarming from the tear. You did crowd control so that you and the other two could get to the Church. Based on how you're reacting, I'd be willing to guess you ran from there in fear of the grim reality of this world. So rectify it, go out there, and render aid to those you think you can save. However," He'd narrow his eyes, gloves sparking and smoking as he pressed them against his legs as he stood back up.

"Do not presume to speak to me or anyone else about if we care or how we act. It's clear you're in over your head, and it's time to sink or swim. I cared enough to put my life on the line, and put my all into trying to limit casualties by drawing the majority of the horde down upon me and Yona so that some may survive. If you care so much, go out there, and actually fucking do something about it, you sniveling brat." He turned... And he decided to hobble his way out of the stable. It's a bad idea for a pyromancer to lose control inside of a building with hay in it. Do you know how flammable hay is? He slammed the ruined remains of the door behind him, his handprint scorched into the weakened wood. He's going to wait outside until he calmed down enough to not have to worry about burning the building down.

Interacts with: AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa
Mentions: CasualTea CasualTea seasonedcat seasonedcat

As the events around her unfolded, she didn't really listen in on the conversations that carried on. Even the thief's continuation of anti-mage against the Scabbard who even knew her name: Tiria. That's the only thing she caught onto before she began listening to the other voices around her before she was forced into a bubble and had already let go of the Scabbard girl. Even though she had fought all night with Faenor, exterminating the hordes and not getting any time to sleep and was only allowed just some small rest with no peace, the Scabbard girl's shout pierced through and made her wake up again.

As she listened to the Scabbard girl, wondering why she was trying to comfort her in the first place despite saying all that about Scabbards, she began to ponder her standing as what Faenor considered her as a spellsword. Obviously, her values and traditions as a Blade had blurred along with her unconditional association with mages were a mess. But everything that made sense to her was just that lives were definitely lost and those that remained are dwindling. Regrettably, she did accidentally kill some of the villagers with her uncontrolled powers, but at this point, where would they run to if they had survived? They travelled a long way since the check point. Those that survived may have already been hunted down by straggling monsters that decided to leave the village to prey on the runners in the open. No one was meant to survive today.

Her attitude that wanted to try and console the little girl had dissolved back to her usual behavior from Dral. She spoke as if lives could be saved during the time the group sat in the stables and bickered. Obviously, that just isn't so. And with the bubbles popping, Faenor spoke his mind which also aligned quite right with Yona's. As he continued to speak, she stood up and watched. Her gaze was cold as if apathetic to the girl's silent tears. Soon, Faenor had made his way out of the building before he would have burned it down.

Out of concern of her own safety and to get away from the Blade, the scabbard and the one little shit with her bitch that absolutely despises mages down to the core, she also began making her way out to join Faenor. On her way out, she spoke. Not to anyone specifically, but generally. "...If only we had breakfast." And with that, she pushed the stable door open and closed it behind her.

Once more, she stood with Faenor. Despite her first impression of him, he spoke in a way that Yona had aligned in her days in the syndicate. He knew how the world worked and knew how this mission will go. Getting her first taste of combat against the monsters made her conclude that some of them might not return the same way they departed. Maybe not even return at all.

She leaned against the wall of the stables and pretty much hung out outside with Faenor, just to make sure he's going to be right as rain after awhile. Also to make sure that he doesn't start another fire. She's already pretty dirty from the ash and blood from the battle prior and she decided to stick with Faenor because well, he's a mage. To the people in the stables, it seemed like she was more of a mage than a blade. She was silent however so as to not piss off Faenor more. Instead, she just took this time to inspect her sword and surveillance their immediate surroundings. She then started to see the bodies of some of the villagers now that the sun shined. She observed the motionless bodies and the occasional twitch of a body in reaction to crows picking at their remains. One of the villagers was still alive, but she only watched their last moments as they took their last breath and joined the others. After awhile, it was concluded: they're all gone.

She let out a breath in disappointment. Not about the party. She wanted to see at least one person alive and in condition to continue their lives in some way. She didn't see anything of the sort. Nothing could be saved. She wasn't going to blame anyone about this. Sure, she could blame the blades whose duty is to protect the people but... Not like it'll matter. It's not like they will be put on trial by them and then sentenced by a system. They don't have the time nor energy. Well, maybe they do but not the care. All she wondered now was where was their next stop. If this village was abandoned by the other blades and subject to utter destruction in the wake of monsters from a hell hole spawn, the deeper they go they probably will only find ruin and vacancy of life.

She just looked up at the dull sky despite the sun lighting up their day with whatever weak rays it had. She was reminded that this will be another dark journey for her.

Last edited:
the sun rose on a new day, the birds did not chirp and the grass withered in a black state but the dew from the rain still hugged the blades as the sky cleared and appeared to be a clear day coming. As light shone through windows and pounced off puddles dark red splotches in the earth turning as black as the grass as it began to dry, soaking into the already dead earth.

it was quiet, far too quiet for this small town, the bodies that lined the street did not move, the piles of bodies old and rotting under a simple tarp of cloth could now be seen and smelled easier as the sun illuminated it. Sitting near the church the pile of bodies had been stored, not being able to be buried during the hard times. The pile had not been undisturbed however, some tarp ripped off, the old rotting blood splattered as some beast had torn into it after not being able to find any living beings.

it seemed that there were no survivors left inside the town at least, if there were any they would have had to escaped, may that have been before or during the carnage. Even as the sky cleared and the sun rose, not once did the blades come to check on the town. No one came, it seems like there wouldn't be anyone coming ever again to this tiny town.

despite the horrors that had just occurred in this town, it was the only place for your party to stay. Your party would need some time to recover as there are several injured among the group. Hackel's small party had managed to locate the only other life forms in the village, Borre quickly looking after Anselm the second they got there, a dark shadow cast over his face as he did so. He then also helped Alterne and Hackel with their wounds after. Anselm had managed to survive his wounds that night and now it was up to the rest of the party to lick their physical and mental wounds from this fight.
---
TIME SKIP (1 week)
Anselm had managed to wake up three days ago, and despite Borre insisting he see an actual doctor in town now that he could travel, he refused, brushing it off and saying he was fine. There was no doubt tension in this group after the events that transpired a week ago, some would require a few more things than time to heal. However, time was not in your favor, and Anselm had informed everyone shortly after he woke up they would be leaving soon.

it was now the day Anselm had said they would be leaving, the party had managed to save all their horses and supplies during the fight, something close to a miracle during the events. They were all packed up and could set out within the hour, wherever the group had been during this week was up to them, maybe some didn't even want to leave.

Borre had been the one setting up the supplies for the journey, with the groups horses and his own he now sat stroking the recovering horses muzzle, she had refused to be taken back to the city, she wanted to stay with the group and the little girl who had saved her. She also seemed to like Borre, but even so she kept glancing around as if looking for Tira.

Anselm on the other hand had been in the house they had first been sent to stay in, having gained his own room due to his treatment from Borre. He now was shaking, sweating through his pale skin as he practically heaved on the bed. He had tried to stand up for the first time since he woke up. When he had staggered out of bed (something he insisted doing himself), he had stumbled, his injured shoulder slamming into the wall as he tried to catch himself.

he was struggling to try and catch his breath as he shook, black spots dancing on his vision. He gripped the bedside table, grinding his teeth together has he heaved himself up once more, ignoring the swimming in his head and the ache that spread through his entire body. He took one step, pressing against the wall with his shoulder with each step as he slowly made his way over to the door. He wondered if everyone else was okay after the events.
Juju Juju The True Plague The True Plague Goonfire Goonfire CasualTea CasualTea Idea Idea AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Firelie Firelie

Last edited:

Alterne Ember

The Sun-in-Splendour, the Hour who once ruled the Mansus, was known to walk in the Orchard, before his terrible division. Sometimes his remnants walk here still - sometimes I see the chilly radiance of the Meniscate through the trees, or the chillier radiance of the Sun-in-Rags. Were they to come upon me, it might be my end, but to see them in the distance is a gift of insight.​

Alterne spent that cold, bloody night in a stressed, tired stupor. She didn't last long for consciousness that night and spent the night first with head hung on Hackel's shoulder then later in one of the many vacant beds in town. Alterne spent the first few nights after the battle asleep and burning up. The burn marks that had glowed that terrible night were still visible, burned into the nape of the young girls neck. For four nights she lay bedridden, tossing and turning and occasionally sputtering up foul black liquid. She woke up the fifth day of their stay, bewildered and frightened as ever. She spent that day locked away in the room she slept in, only feeling comfortable to rejoin the group on the sixth day. She spent most of her time either off mumbling to herself or hiding behind Hackel's shadow. She had grown a much deeper trust in the man now that he has saved her life on multiple occasions. He was one of the three people that had directed her out of harms way whenever her guiding light had failed her. On the morning of the seventh day she headed for the room in which Edelmira stayed. The girl seemed to be in dire straits, and Alterne owed the girl everything for saving Alterne's life on that faithful night. She would have to thank Anselm as well as Hackel, but they seemed far more busy. And scary. It took Alterne every fiber in her being, but she mustered the courage to rap on the door of the other girls temporary lodgings. She stood in front of the door awkwardly, fiddling with her now freshly cleaned claws, head tilted down to the floor as she waited in agonizing anticipation for what came next.​

• Sitra

"Y-you're most welcome!" I immediately replied to the helmet guy's thanks with a typical smile, though the words did struggle a bit to come out with the effort I was making to carry the Hilt, plus that weird sting I got from the spell. It wasn't entirely unfamiliar to me, though I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was either. Something did eventually come to mind, and I could only hope I was mistaken. Aaah, but no use thinking about those things! I would find out sooner or later anyway, for now, just focus on the task at hand, focus! I walked behind him as he indicated for him to come with him, readying myself for a potential need to try to support him too as it seemed his body was wobbling from (I assumed) bloodloss or simple exhaustion from time to time.

The blade who gave me a help getting into the tables earlier was ready to receive two new patients. Maybe he was some kind of doctor? He seemed good at this sort of stuff. Not that I knew what good or bad at it really looked like. Back where I was from you either used magic or you thought not even that was needed. Hehe. I guess, come to think of it, there was something mom was bad at after all. But part of me felt a little weary with even a little chuckle like that, under an atmosphere this heavy. It only took a few glances at how everyone was acting to realize I probably didn't want to ask what happened while I was gone.

....................................​

While I had my fair share of wounds, fortunately they weren't the overly serious type. Some here or there would likely end up making a scar, but I could live with that, as soon enough I felt recovered enough to try to do some more things. Magic was right there on top of the list, but there was something of a burning sensation inside as I attempted to use a spell, making me flinch and causing the whole thing to fall apart before it really began. In a way it was good it ended so early, after all the chance to do something actually bad for you only grew the deeper into the spell you were when it failed. Another upside was that this much pain was bearable if I really needed to use magic, though it probably wouldn't be a good idea to rely on it for a while.

I could only sigh and move on to the next thing on the list: Horses. I asked around for some help, since I didn't really get how the whole thing with them worked, but somehow it didn't feel like the type of situation where next time we travelled with them I could just have someone make the horse move for me like on the way to this town... even though I probably would still need help nomatter what I did... Uh, well, if if I put in the effort it would work out somehow! Yes, of course it would! It wasn't like I had some other way of doing anything useful, aside from a little sword swinging here and there for practice, so I ended up going to the horses every day and climbing onto a gentler one (though it did seem like I mercifully escaped getting kicked by a hair's breath a couple of times hehehe... ).

It was about a week after the whole thing had ended, and I was just meandering about, carrying some stuff, when a sudden bumping noise caused me to nearly jump in place and turn in its direction. That was the house Anselm was resting in, wasn't it? I had to wonder if everything was alright there. He was pretty injured back then, I could only hope I didn't make any of it worse when I carried him back.

"I guess I'm still half-expecting the sky to rip open any moment ever, aren't I?" I couldn't help chuckling to myself. Well, dwelling on what happened wouldn't help anyone. The only way to see if things were alright - and to help if they weren't - was to go and have look at it myself. Seeing how there wasn't really anybody around, the door probably wasn't even locked either. I put down what I was carrying and headed inside.

"Anselm? How're your wounds?"

Interacting With: seasonedcat seasonedcat
Mentions: Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
As the injured Anselm, and the Church Group approached the stable, Faenor had decided his presence wasn't needed anymore. Mostly because he knew, that if he was pushed any further, he'd likely do something he'd regret. Can't act out in front of the Hilt now, even if that's pointless. They'll likely spill the beans on how he's acted, and he'll be lectured by someone else who doesn't fucking know what they're talking about. First that Blade, whomst spoke to him about how Mages act as if he didn't know. Then the noble brat whom wished to lecture him about how he doesn't seem to care. Of fucking course he cares.

Deciding he wanted more space to avoid any more judgement, he decided to be the first to return to the house they had started the night in, so that he could return to the room he had laid claim on... Man, what a shame they had never gotten to actually sleep. Now that the adrenaline from experiencing a life or death situation was wearing off, he kind of wanted to sleep. However, he had things to do. For example, changing out of his bloodstained silken shirt, and changing into a brighter shade of green silk shirt, going from a subdued emerald to a brilliant jade. Yes, he packed nearly exclusively green shirts to wear under his red and gold robes. As he shuffled through his items though, a rather daunting realization slowly formed. "... Where are my socks?"

Once his items were gathered, sans socks... He moved out of the room with the queen sized bed. Instead, he decided to lodge himself in the room he had previously used to look out into the garden and meditate. It was much more suitable to him. Close enough to outside that if someone bothered him, he could just walk out, just out of the way enough that it's unlikely the others would bother him. After all, there's an entire village out there, why would they come to him?

It would be in this manner, that Faenor would pass the week of rest. If he wasn't getting the coverings of his wounds changed or cleaned, he was back there looking into the garden. Perhaps he'd engage with conversation with one of his party members whomst wandered back there to find him, or maybe he'd be chilling outside in the garden, meditating amongst the wilted and deprived flora. What was he meditating about?

Well, to be frank, he was meditating on if he wished to stick around in this group. Let's list the pros and cons here, shall we? So, cons. Well, biggest con is the actual con amongst them, the thief. Vitriolic hatred of mages was about all he's gotten from her, and also his precious socks were stolen. Besides the ones he left in the pack with the horse he rode. She wasn't worth the breath to debate with, being a stupid human child who didn't know better, and definitely wasn't worth the potential knife in his back.

He's not really interacted with the man whose cape was splattered with blood, but that's usually a bad sign if that's the first impression. He'll mark that man under Con. He also didn't know much about the brat who tried to lecture him, besides the fact he agrees with his initial opinion of her. Naive.

Honestly, Anselm could go either way, namely because the Hilt had been much too injured to actually lecture him at the time. Fuck it, let's lump Borre in there, he had no good opinion of the Blade, only a neutral one. On one hand, Blade. On the other, helped him with his wounds despite clearly being a Mage. It's a give and take. The lizard is a lizard. It exists. It's existence doesn't ruin or improve his experience thus far.

Pros? Well, let's see. Yona had stuck with him during the waves of enemies the night the monsters struck. She even helped protect him on multiple occasions that night. So despite being a human spellsword, she was okay. Also, she owed him a drink in her own words. She can't go on the con list until he gets that drink to decide how poor her taste is.

Sitra was Sitra. He couldn't exactly find himself mad at her, nor could he find reason to care much. She knew magic, and he considered that a plus. Her manners were questionably existent, which was kind of a given, given she didn't seem to have much experience with nobles. All in all, like... Maybe a 6/10 in terms of how much he could tolerate a person. Just barely above the middle just barely makes her a pro to sticking around.

Oh right, the main pro of sticking with this. If he could navigate this to its end, he'll be able to most likely use the bond forged with Anselm to bring himself further along in his goals, and potentially achieve that which none in the past have done before. Actual peace between Blade and Mage, so that Mages can finally live without the worry of being executed for existing.

Exactly one week after that night, Faenor found himself watching as Yona continued her weird task she set for herself. Burying the dead. He never understood that to be honest. They're dead. Why not leave the carcasses to the animals, or to be reclaimed by nature on their own?

Interaction: CasualTea CasualTea
Mentions: Look, this has been a long rambling post. He thought about everyone, so everyone should be mentioned, I'm just too tired to try to remember every name over rambling right here.

When the injured group from the church came out and headed towards the stables to regroup, she noticed Faenor head off somewhere else to avoid more nuisances. Fair enough. She'd probably go do something else of her own. Now was a time of rest for the party, but to her? A slight guilt was felt. In her initial fight during that night, she let her power go out of control. With that, it consequence that she would also kill villagers. So now she felt it was her responsibility to do one final deed for the village. A proper burial of each and every last body she could find. So she immediately set off for that task.

The way she located the bodies move them were all by hand and just her merely walking around, but you could tell she was scanning every pathway a villager could be and in every room of each building. Those who were in still attached to its head would be set outside the village to have their own hole and stone pile over them. She would take small stones from the rubble of the village buildings which was quite a chore, but this ceremony had to be done as best as she could. With the severed limbs that she couldn't associate an owner to, she would instead pile them up in a mound to burn later. Even though she could've just had a wagon and piled the bodies and parts onto it, she just felt it wasn't respectful to those individuals. At least with carrying them herself, she could feel some sort of atonement.

She would continue this task without sleep for a few days, pass out near the cemetery site after she had found all the bodies and parts she could find on the fourth day, start burying them in their holes individually and piling stones over their graves and get some actual sleep for the night.

It was the day that the party would depart and so, she had to finish this small ceremony, no matter the cost. She finished burying and piling their stones over their graves and began leaving a small flower, laying them on top of their grave in front of the pile of stones. She doused the pile of parts and limbs separated from their owners with flammable liquids like alcohol she found in one of the buildings' basements and lit it ablaze with a couple of matches. Now, she was standing just at the boarder of the village looking over the neatly organized graves that were in dress and file as a pile of flesh burned brightly behind all of it. She had prepared a paper lantern the night before and was ready to commence a ceremony that she had participated in with her Blade comrades back in Penari. Due to her being the only one who set this all up, she also has to be the one to proceed it.

"The same clear moon as in Qin times, same passes as in Han." She began, singing a long and in tune line as she raised the paper lantern, holding it out in front of her, soon beginning her second line. "Men came from thousands of miles, their return ne'er ever began." She would then carry the small torch in the same manner, lighting the bottom of the lantern. "If only that Flying General, of Longcheng fame, were here...!" Her voice boomed with emotion and in volume as she released the lantern and then stabbed the bottom of the torch into the ground with force, causing her to take a knee just in front of the torch. The flame's heat brushing passed her as she gave pause. "No hostile horses dare cross --- the border of Mount Yinshan." She sung as if she was in pain soon soothing out into a beautiful tone, a contrary from the previous line which was almost warrior-like as she slowly stood back up and watched the lantern fly away.

She took a brief moment of silence to say some additional prayers and requests to be forgiven in her mind before she finally turned around and walked away from the grave site. She staggered a little when she noticed Faenor had been standing there, watching her. How long was he standing there for? To him, it must've looked weird to see her do something like this. She almost caught stage fright because this was usually done by a group not an individual. She forced a breath out before walking towards Faenor. At first, she didn't say anything when she stood in front of him. It took a bit of silence to recollect herself from her small trance from the ceremony she performed. "...Thank you for letting me finish. The ceremony, I mean. It was... Something I participated in back in Penari when a squadron returned with heavy losses. It's the least I could do for the village." She said. "I know you think it might be weird since they're being claimed by the Earth anyway, but with this at least... They can hopefully depart from this world knowing that someone took care of them. Y'know, to show that at least we still validate their deaths." She left out the fact she felt like this was her atonement since Faenor probably wouldn't really care about that. He probably didn't care about what she had just said. She didn't really have the energy to fight back or anything though. She was quite tired and not in the best of spirits. "...Sorry if I sounded like that scabbard girl. What I'm doing isn't really because of her. It just felt right."

Now, Faenor would not admit to it... but he did have a reason to come out here to witness this ceremony. Even if he did not understand the first thing about proper funeral rites, or why other kingdoms thought it better to put the body underground instead of leaving it exposed to the elements to be reclaimed by nature. He himself harbored a bit of guilt, a guilt that his meditation never really got rid of. After all, he was the one who got out of control with his fire. Perhaps he only burned buildings... Unlikely though. He couldn't get it out of his head. The thought he had killed innocents that night due to a miscalculation in strength.

Thus, he forced himself to join her for this final day. These weren't the rites or actions he knew of... But that's to be expected. Elves lived for an absurdly long time if they're not killed, and given the region he grew up in, they weren't exactly hunted. Sure, he attended funerals of those who crossed him and didn't get the memo quick enough... But those were games of politics. To ensure what remained of the family either bent the knee or burnt out. So this... This was arguably, dare he say, nice?

No like, genuinely. Kinda nice. He had no idea what relevance or importance the song she sang had, but it wasn't poorly sang. Sure, she was no songbird or bard, but she at least could hold a tune, even when she clearly got emotional. Kudos. A song, then a moment of silence for the departed. Humans and their rites were weird, but he supposed this had its own charm. It was no feast in the honor of the dead, nor was it a solemn reflection on the life of the departed. No long winded ramble on the newfound freedom of the spirit from the corpse of the dead. It was simple, perhaps a bit impersonal from some looks of it.

Know what's not as simple and nice? The fact she simply stood there in front of him, not saying anything. Kind of awkward to just look at a bloke without saying anything, y'know? Especially since he was nearly an entire foot taller than her, so he had to look down. "There is no need to thank me. Even if they're not rites similar to those I've experienced, I can tell when something deserves to be finished." He'd speak softly, out of respect for the dead. It had been a bit relieving to have time to think as she sang. To let go of his guilt, knowing that what could be done for them had been done for them. "And of course I think it weird. That doesn't take away from the rites, it's just... Different from how my kind treat death. Not mages, but Elves. I've not seen much of the Death Rites of other races, or even of other cultures." Yeah, he wouldn't have cared if she thought this was necessary for atonement. He was, after all, atoning in his own way.

"There isn't a need to apologize. The difference between you, and that scabbard girl, is that you understand why you're doing this. You understand the purpose of rites for the dead, whereas she'd likely try to hold some grandiose funeral to honor each and every one of them. You've chosen a practical method, over the fairytale-esque motif." He'd turned, staring towards the house they started in a week ago. "Come, it's perhaps best we return to the others. Best not to linger amongst death, lest he comes for you next." Personally, he wanted to go have a cup of tea and meditate in the garden. Not deal with his seemingly depressed comrade here. Maybe he'd offer her a cup? Then again, he'd not want her to get the wrong idea, so perhaps not.

Interaction: CasualTea CasualTea

Edelmira.png

#B1E1CB
Interacting:
Firelie Firelie

9au8XWi.png
Surrounded by people, yet alone. It was entirely new feeling to Edelmira, and lasting through the week, she'd become a lot less lively and quieter as she sheepishly moved around her friends—all of which she now felt totally unsure if they still liked her or not. Her presence in the group became brief each day, opting to spend more time alone in her temporary lodging than being in the same room as Faenor or Yona.

She was the one who yelled at them... maybe it was all her fault. Maybe she should apologize—but the sights of utter destruction in the village made her fall quiet each time.

For hours on end, she paced the prison-like walls of her staying. She tossed and turned in bed, occasionally crying, then sulking in silence. Many times she felt sick; many times the corpse's face flashed into mind.

The monotonously torturous routine only found an interruption in a light knocking of her door. Not that the event made Edelmira feel any better. In fact, her stomach twisted and knotted as she sat up in bed to stare at the entrance. Was Faenor here to yell at her again...? Was it Hackel, who she left for dead...? Maybe she should just stay quiet until they went away; let them think she wasn't here... To keep running away, instead of facing them head on...

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see whoever it was... just this once.

Mira unlatched the door, opening a slight crack to see who was there. And, much to her relief, it wasn't any of the scarier people she was expecting, but the younger Alterne! Though the girl's powers were admittedly terrifying to witness, and the way she chanted each spell... Mira shook her head gently to herself. Just looking at Alterne and the way she propped herself up was disarming enough. "Alterne...?" Mira called out meekly—a lot meeker than she thought her voice would come out.

The door creaked open fully to reveal Mira, who unbeknownst to herself, appeared very unkempt in contrast to the usually tidy way she liked to present herself. She kept her hands holding each other in front of her chest, nervously meeting eyes with the other girl. "Did you need something...?"

"Alright. Let's." She said a bit exhaustedly as she soon started to try and act like her usual self. Probably on the more reserved side now that they were being active again. Though, now she'd have to face the others again. Ever since she started collecting the dead and assorting them out herself, the other members left her alone to do just that. Each their own reason to as well. Now that she's done, she has to face them again and interact with them. Most of which would probably come out as negative. Hopefully, they just don't say anything to her. She wouldn't mind getting a glare from the thief because she hated any degree of mage. It'd be nice if she could ignore her in some way or another. She just hoped that nothing of her possession was stolen or any other party members' in that manner. She didn't feel like sitting through that type of bullshit.

As she followed Faenor back to the house, she looked around aimlessly. She couldn't help that there was something she missed like one of the dead or a lingering monster. However, the only dead she saw were some remnants of the monsters the party had slain. She let out a breath, trying to let go of that responsibility since it was already done. Whatever she missed, that's just unfortunate. She just walked alongside Faenor, who she started noticing how tall he really was. She was taken aback a little bit but since he was an elf, she started to wonder how old he was. How much shit had he seen in his life.

Now she started thinking about her other party members. Especially Alterne, Sitra and the scabbard girl. Hackel and Anselm were probably in that list of people she thought about too. She just wondered how they are now that it has been a week since that hellish night. Sigh... She probably needed more rest, but there just isn't time anymore.

Alterne Ember

Scarlet is the colour of heat. Mercury holds one key to an ultimate dissolution.

Alterne practiced the speech she was to recite to Edelmira at least a dozen of times over the passing week. She thought she had it down to a tee but now that she was standing there in front of the other girl Alterne struggled to pull her thoughts together. An awkward silence hung over the two as Alterne stood silently, mouth flapping silently as she tried to find the right words. Alterne suddenly shoved a closed fist forward, revealing a clutched amulet. The crude visage of a sun conveyed through simple shapes revealed itself carved into the surface of a dazzling amber covered gemstone. The small gemstone glittered with an almost unnatural intensity against the soft glow of the morning sun that intruded on the two girls through the modest windows of the abandoned estate. "Here!" Alterne yapped nervously, an octave higher than she meant.
ezgif-2-4d46a8189a.jpg
"S-sorry." She apologized instinctively. "It's for last week. Were it not for you, I would be, well, g-gone." Alterne dropped the amulet in the other girls palm, or at least she hoped she did. It was hard to tell for the blind girl. "Even..." Alterne stopped and took a moment, still struggling to properly articulate herself. "Even after this, I am indebted, to you. Without you both Anslem and I would be dead by now. Truly, thank you." Alterne let out a relieved breath as she finished, stepping back and holding clawed hands together at her chest. "That is all. Th-thank you. You um, are yo- h-how are you feeling?"

AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa

Anselm's breath was ragged as a cold sweat began to drip off of his forehead for exertion. His good shoulder may have been holding all his weight with the help of the wall, but the throb that got irritated with each step send his head swimming and threatening him to fall.

they had to keep going, and they didn't have time for Anselm to be pathetic. He had to do something, anything at all to help them. At least he could walk, with each step he was less worthless. He just had to keep on pressing forward, keep on going.

Anselm froze at the sound of the door opening, immediately heaving himself onto his shaky feet as he wiped his forehead. He tried to force his breathing to quiet, refusing his lungs from heaving as he hoped he wasn't shaky too bad,

"a-ah hello....uh, I don't think I ever... got your name..." he trailed of awkwardly, the only name he really knew was Faenor and Hackels due to their infamous nature, as well as Borre from him introducing himself during his recovery. Had he really forgotten to introduce himself to his team and get their names back. How stupid could he be? His sister wouldn't have made this mistake.

he shivered at thinking of her, a dream of old memories from earlier still made him uneasy. He to Sitra probably looked like shit. He may have changed his clothing to a fresh pair but they were far from neat, haphazardly thrown on, his hair a mess from sleep and still stuck to his sweaty skin in some places. His skin was paler than normal, something shocking due to his already pale nature. Tremors ran through his hands, which he shoved behind himself to hide it. His body swayed a little as he stood, uneasy as it had been thrown suddenly on two feet. The bandage on his cheek from the top half of the slash was the only 'clean' part about him, having been changed by Borre earlier. He just hoped she didn't notice how pathetic he was, a weak smile on his face.
Idea Idea

• Sitra

Now, sure, I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I would even go as far as to say, maybe my smarts were just a teeny tiny bit below average. Not that I felt all that much need to change that, thinking about stuff too much was hard and it could take you to nasty places, to learn things that were better left not known. Even someone like me could tell Anselm was attempting to hide something though, with the way he hid his shaking hands and trying to talk to me normally looking like he could barely stay standing. I was pretty sure I told him my name when we first met too, but I wasn't about to try to dig up anybody's memories. Instead, it took me a moment to consider whether it would be a good idea to call him out on the bluff. Then, I smiled.

"Aaaah, sorry about that! I guess it must've slipped my mind or something." I gave him an apologetic chuckle, and my hands instinctively reached out for his, but I pulled them back, and they instead ended up gesturing to illustrate what I said next. "My name is Sitra! I can swing a sword about well enough to become a guard and I can use a bit of magic... Normally, anyways. Hehe. I guess I couldn't really show it off last time since we were caught off guard and all that, and whatever you were fighting at that Church was dealt with by the time I managed to arrive, hehe..."

I guess when I put it like that, it was a bit awkward to say. And that's without the possibility he might collapse any time now, but I just couldn't see anyone who was trying to walk around in that state reacting well to me pointing that out.

"Uh, well, in any case, it's nice to work with you! Hopefully I'll get to next time. Uhm... good thing your wounds are ok?" Except they probably weren't. Had he even eaten anything this whole time? Where was he going? Ah! There was an idea! I leaned in a bit closer. "Hmmm... You do look a bit tired though. Did you not rest well? Oh, maybe you just need breakfast!"

This way he had an excuse he could use for whatever he wanted to hide. Good thing I went for a bit of hunting during our recovery time, albeit seldom. We did have our rations, but it was good to get more food (I could still remember the times I went hungry because I didn't try to get more supplies when I first started travelling), and as it happened I had been talking about how to with a hunter before the whole sky-breaking incident. I wondered where that man was now, I hadn't since the whole thing unfolded. Did he manage to escape? Was he just another body in the rubble?

I didn't want to go see or ask. I didn't want to be sure.

I grinned at Anselm and tried gesturing to indicate I wanted him to lean on my shoulder.

"Come to think of it, I did carry you back that time, but I guess you were kind of passed out? I guess I can show off a bit of my usefulness now, even if you are half-asleep this time too haha. Come on, I'll help you to a chair so you can recover your strength. I'll go get the breakfast after that, too. We don't exactly seem to have a feast around these parts, but hunger is the best friend of taste, right?"

Interacting With: seasonedcat seasonedcat
Mentions: N/A

Faenor, for the most part, tried to maintain a respect for the quiet that had settled over them as they walked. Sure, he didn't exactly care if they spoke or not, but it was... Kind of awkward. He watches her bury bodies, they have a short back and forth, and then... Nothing. Some may argue this was clearly supposed to be some moment or something. Perhaps one of his addled minded cousins who spent too much of their time indulging in the romantic drivel they called literature would argue this was some bond forming moment. Tch, as if. What a ridiculous and absurd idea! As if he, Romulus Faenor, Scion of the House Fae, a House which has been built on tradition, would dare lower himself to such a level!

Still... He won't lie, this was getting extremely awkward. There's only so long one can spend saying nothing, as you walked side by side with another saying nothing, through a destroyed village. This would be so much easier if this was the thief, the brat, or even the likely psychopathic murderer. He at least hated them. If it were the Hilt, the Lizard, or the Blade he'd at least somewhat be able to justify not saying a word. However, it just had to be the one he had fought side by side with that night. The one who saved him. Bah. Fucking... Stupid socialization and the need to discuss things with others.

"You know Yona, I feel I have to ask." He began suddenly, not bothering to look towards her. "Why have you decided to stick with this group? You weren't paid to. Arguably, you've already been put into great danger. I can imagine the task of laying all of those people to rest with proper rites has been mentally draining. What's keeping you around?" If he had pockets, he'd probably have his hands in them. Instead, his arms were folded neatly behind his back, hands on his elbows. Staring ahead as they made their way back to the occupied manor they called base. "Is it that you believe in Anselm? Feel you owe something to someone? Simply nothing better to do?" Was he being too direct in his questioning? Perhaps. However, he finds it easier to distract someone from one issue, by being brazen about something else. Perhaps, he also wanted to know if he was losing one of the few he felt he could at least trust here. She's at least proven she won't leave him for dead to save herself.

CasualTea CasualTea

Yona didn't mind the quiet. Hell, her mind was still distracted by other things and was just following Faenor in an unfocused state. It wasn't until he started speaking that her focus came back. With Faenor's questions, they made sense. Why was she still there? She could leave any moment and no one would really miss her from the group. She could almost imagine Alterne wondering where she had gone, same with Sitra. Hardly. There were a variety of reasons. Guiding Alterne and Sitra on horse riding trips was one of them, but it's a pretty weak reason. Anyone else can do it. Hackel could probably just put both of them on a horse and lead them both while he carried the little brat of a thief. So Faenor does have a point, like he always does. Why?

"...Perhaps atonement? Not for the village, for other things in my life that happened. Maybe fighting for a future? The peace between Blades and mages, setting up a world for the next generation of people. A live training ground for me to hone my skills and actually go full out?" She then chuckled. "That's most of the reasons I can come up with the top of my head. I did originally stay so I can have some questions answered from the Hilt. But I don't think he'll have the answers I'm looking for. Because they are already being answered by others. The way Blades and Mages interact... I sort of get it now."

She soon let out a breath as she stretched her arms up and put them behind her head as she looked up at the dull sky. "Plus, I've got nowhere else to go. I mean, I could go back to Dral and continue working with the syndicate. But I just left there. I'm merely just a wandering drifter who traveled all the way from Penari who took the long way to get to Opal. Looking back, I could've probably just hid the body if only I kept my cool when I was younger. But instead, I decided to run away." She said before she let down her arms at her sides. She looked at her sword that was sheathed and gripped it softly, as if reminiscing for a mere moment. "...I definitely do regret not saying my farewells to my... family. We aren't related by blood, but we were trained together and worked like one." She then faced forward.

"Perhaps after we succeed in this expedition, Anslem can help back me up just so I can meet them again and reveal that I was a daughter of two mages and sort of am one myself. I don't need them to approve of me, I just want them to accept that I've definitely strayed off the path they walked long ago. It also wouldn't hurt to see what they were up to all these years." She then looked over at Faenor, wanting to return the question to him. However, she can already guess why he was here. So instead, she'd rather ask something else. Perhaps it'd be too personal a question, but she was curious nonetheless. "What about you? What you thinking of doing once this is all over?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back