• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Sword to Wield with a Broken Hilt IC

Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Alterne Ember

Life is a pure flame, we live by an invisible sun within us.​

It was very obvious that Edelmira was moved by the gesture. The girls efforts of covering the show of emotion proved futile as covering ones face to hide from a blind person isn't exactly the best course of action. Alterne held her tongue though, thinking it wiser to believe Edelmira's words instead of questioning the girls actions. "I know." A candid smile flashed to Edelmira. "I... think you very skilled. I mean that, too. I, um, breakfast will be ready soon. When you see fit, I hope to see you downstairs." The blindfolded girl gave a final nod to the other girl before turning and heading for the stairs.

On her way to the stairs Alterne was stopped by chatter in a side room. She was still nervous about the group she found herself surrounded with but after a week of cohabitation she felt much more comfortable. Not to mention the fact many of them saved her from the cold embrace of death. Speaking of, "H-Hackel." Alterne nodded to the man. "Whos awake?" Alterne shuffled in beside the warrior, claws clutched nervously together at her waist. "Whos... um whats going on today?" Alterne was still getting used to the group, and not being able to see them really made knowing what was going on difficult. The voice in her head wasn't exactly there to always tell her what to do for every potential social situation.

AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Idea Idea seasonedcat seasonedcat Goonfire Goonfire

Anselm swallowed back thickly nodding without saying anything from Sitra's words, his gaze downcast as he frowned. What if they all decided to quit, having seen how useless he was they finally decided that maybe everyone was right about the so called former Hilt's brother. Maybe they realized that his stupid idea of a quest had barely any planning and was falling apart from the moment that it all started. Maybe he was already too late in hurting others with his foolish ideas.

his downward spiral of thoughts was thrown out of loop by the strange smelling dish placed before him. Anselm's first reaction of course was for his face to scrunch up in discomfort before he cleared it up with a cough, offering a forced smile to Sitra. By the twin gods this is worse than he thought. Poking at the meat with a roughly made wooden fork Anselm swallowed back disgust yet again,

"so what exactly did you say this was again...?"

at the sudden voice behind him Anselm instinctively flinched, turning around quickly to see who it was only to let out a cry of pain as he gripped his shoulder. He curled in on himself, huffing out breaths as pain washed over him. He offered the ex-blade a small laugh before speaking, "of course I am, only a flesh wound after all... just moved too fast..." he chuckled out, his voice slightly wet with pain as he did his best to push it back and offer the other a smile.

Anselm glanced up from his position at a new voice, his breathing evening out slightly as he caught sight of the blind girl, "not much, just... uh, enjoying breakfast." he offered another glance at the mystery meat on his place as he offered the blind girl a simple shrug before regretting it and wincing at the movement and swearing under his breath. This kitchen was getting crowded quickly and Anselm could feel a small amount of dread filling his stomach as he conversed with the others.

Idea Idea Firelie Firelie Goonfire Goonfire

• Sitra
    012da7c6f2acc355361665c370226c9e.jpg

"Oh, it's breakfast."

I nodded rather vehemently at Anselm's question and turned around to get cleaning (I wasn't sure how long I could keep that poker face and betray there was more to say... like the animal the meat came from). The pot was, of course, still rather hot though, and there was little more than rags to provide any sort of cleaning. Ordinarily I think maybe people would use water from some river nearby or something along those lines, but I don't think even if we had more it'd be good to use to clean pots. It's not like there wasn't enough to go around, but... let's just say if I used that well water the pots wouldn't end up clean anyway. And food was really lacking on top of that. I wondered if Anselm was eating yet...

On second thought, maybe I should elaborate a little further on my earlier answer.

"I mean, it's not late enough for lunch, and besides it's also your first meal after waking up today, isn't it? So it's breakfast! No worries, I was taught how to catch it properly, before... you know... that whole thing that happened."

Armor guy's arrival was a blessing of sorts. Even I could tell the Hilt's mood was already dropping again, so what better to have as a side to this breakfast than a nice helping of a distraction? I had to wonder why Anselm lied about his wounds so much though. Earlier he had been shaking, barely able to stay standing. He was out cold back at the church too. Well, there were a lot of things I didn't get evidently, so I guess this was just another one? It might be a big mistake to mention it, so I better just wait to see if someone else caught onto it and see what they would do then.

"Good morning! Yeah, he just got up. I made him come down and get some breakfast. A g- a meal is important to start the day." I gave the armor guy a little wave. Just then, the little scaled girl arrived as well, asking who had woken up and causing me to blush a little as I remembered the embarrassment I'd just retold. Then it hit me. "Oh, that's right, we were just talking about what everyone has been doing while he was asleep. What have you been doing? I wasn't really sure what to tell him since I didn't really see much of you. I mean, I don't I wouldn't normally see much of you either, but wasn't just because of the armor these past few days... "

I couldn't help chuckling a little bit at my own joke, but I got ahold of myself soon enough.

"And you, I think you were worried about something, right? You seemed to be thinking really hard uh..."

I got up and walked towards the smaller girl, crouching down near her. Touching was probably a no-go, didn't want to accidentally scare her and I sure would be scared if something suddenly touched me while I was in the dark, but I think getting a little closer should be fine, right? And maybe help make it clear I was talking to her.

"What was your name again? I think I forgot. Sorry about that."

I gave her an apologetic smile.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interacting With: seasonedcat seasonedcat Firelie Firelie Goonfire Goonfire
Mentions: N/A
Might Also Want to Read: N/A​

Last edited:
As always, Siv drank up the attention, rolling onto his back in demand of belly rubs. It irritated Tiria at how social he was, especially when she was trying to be distant from a bunch of soon-to-be-dead people.

Tira scrunched up her face at Borre's explanation, trying her hardest to determine if he was serious in his claims of sacrificing a knight's title for this. Sure, she had grown up on stories about chivalrous knights risking it all for the greater good. In fact, she had wanted to be one back when she was younger and stupid. As she found out the hard way those stories were just that; make belief.

It was then that Borre mentioned a gift. The suspicious look on Tiria's face evaporated in an instant, leaving a genuine look of surprise. Better yet, it was a weapon. Tira stood on the tips of her toes, trying to see what Borre was talking about before he turned around. Even Siv was curious, padding in front of Tiria to sniff Borre's hand as he reached for the dagger.

Tiria took the weapon in her hands gently, as if she were holding a baby bird. Her eyes were wide as she curiously slid the blade from its sheath, awed by how it glinted in the light. The only thing that made her look away was the keyword of magic. Her yellow eye looked up at Borre, "This can really cut magic?"

Dark thoughts swirled in her head and a smile snuck its way onto her face. She looked down at her weapon, her gift, and slid it back into its intricate sheath. She didn't want to lull herself into thinking knight's were heroes again, but then again Borre wasn't a knight. Maybe she could trust him.

Tiria nodded her head, still stunned. "Teach me how to fight? Y-yeah I'd like that!"

Her head swiveled when she heard another voice, one she knew belonged to Hackle. She grinned in excitement, knowing full well what sort of style the warrior preferred. "You bet!"

Oddly enough, the weapon seemed to have completely cast away Tiria's grumpiness. It was more than that though... it had given a renewed sense of hope.

She fastened the dagger to her belt then knelt down to rub Siv's ears, shaking his head affectionately. "Here that, buddy? Next time those monsters come back I'm gonna turn them into pork chops. Well fight them together boy, just like old times."

She stood up again, remembering that Borre was still there. Coughing into her hand, she stared at the ground when she said, "Oh and Borre… I uh... thanks…"
seasonedcat seasonedcat Goonfire Goonfire

Of course he put effort into expressing interest. It's rude to have someone open up about their past, only for you to stonewall them by not giving an iota of a damn. Considering the whole saving his life thing, he couldn't exactly be rude now, could he? However, he'd say nothing as she seemed to process his whole thinking out loud over the reasons her parents may have had.

However, he did begin to reconsider his being polite and kind when she began to laugh as he explained his connector's name and a bit about himself. Even if it seemed to brighten her mood visibly, he wasn't exactly happy with being a laughing stock. Especially if he opened up a bit about himself and his thought process! If he hadn't been busy finishing his cup of tea, he'd perhaps scolded her for chuckling at his reasoning. Probably a good thing he didn't though, given she did apologize.

"Of course I put a lot of thought into naming it. All of my life centered around being a great mage, so many years spent honing my skill before I got my hands on this connector. It'd be a disservice to my own spent time, to carelessly name what I rely upon." He'd set his cup down, now empty. "Even if the reasons for the name are, admittedly... Maybe a bit childish given the age I was when naming it."

"Hmm..."
Faenor hummed, thinking. "Sentience." He spoke the word slowly, just trying to test it out. Interesting choice. Given the magic he saw, it could perhaps vaguely connect? He saw lightning, and although a bit of a blur perhaps he saw her create something? Lightning and creation... Is that not in a way, a method of creating sentience? Not to mention opening the eyes of a Blade to the life and struggles of a Mage? "Well, it's certainly fitting. Whether it is merely a placeholder, or the name you choose to keep, I'd say it's reasonably thought out and suitable for the magic you employ."

As he poured himself a second cup of tea, his ears twitched a bit. He swears he can hear the others faintly. Perhaps they're all up and talking for once? Maybe he'll check it out once this cup of tea is done... Maybe he could bring the cup of tea with him? "It sounds like our companions are finally waking up. Should we see if they're talking of our next move from here, or would you rather stay back here?" Small sip of tea, just watching.

CasualTea CasualTea

Of course he put effort into expressing interest. It's rude to have someone open up about their past, only for you to stonewall them by not giving an iota of a damn. Considering the whole saving his life thing, he couldn't exactly be rude now, could he? However, he'd say nothing as she seemed to process his whole thinking out loud over the reasons her parents may have had.

However, he did begin to reconsider his being polite and kind when she began to laugh as he explained his connector's name and a bit about himself. Even if it seemed to brighten her mood visibly, he wasn't exactly happy with being a laughing stock. Especially if he opened up a bit about himself and his thought process! If he hadn't been busy finishing his cup of tea, he'd perhaps scolded her for chuckling at his reasoning. Probably a good thing he didn't though, given she did apologize.

"Of course I put a lot of thought into naming it. All of my life centered around being a great mage, so many years spent honing my skill before I got my hands on this connector. It'd be a disservice to my own spent time, to carelessly name what I rely upon." He'd set his cup down, now empty. "Even if the reasons for the name are, admittedly... Maybe a bit childish given the age I was when naming it."

"Hmm..."
Faenor hummed, thinking. "Sentience." He spoke the word slowly, just trying to test it out. Interesting choice. Given the magic he saw, it could perhaps vaguely connect? He saw lightning, and although a bit of a blur perhaps he saw her create something? Lightning and creation... Is that not in a way, a method of creating sentience? Not to mention opening the eyes of a Blade to the life and struggles of a Mage? "Well, it's certainly fitting. Whether it is merely a placeholder, or the name you choose to keep, I'd say it's reasonably thought out and suitable for the magic you employ."

As he poured himself a second cup of tea, his ears twitched a bit. He swears he can hear the others faintly. Perhaps they're all up and talking for once? Maybe he'll check it out once this cup of tea is done... Maybe he could bring the cup of tea with him? "It sounds like our companions are finally waking up. Should we see if they're talking of our next move from here, or would you rather stay back here?" Small sip of tea, just watching.

CasualTea CasualTea
Yona could hear them too. Their comrades were awake, walking around and about. However, she'd doubt that they would be talking of their next move. Who immediately wakes up and starts planning their move without any breakfast? She could even smell the food from there. Even if the smell was a little questionable, she could still smell that meat was cooking. But it wasn't enticing her very well, so she would pass on the idea of joining them for breakfast. The tea that Faenor offered was more than enough for breakfast today. She was also a little disturbed by that faint but familiar smell of the kind of meat that was being used.

"Er... I believe I can smell someone's cooking from here. However, I don't think it's a rather pleasant meal, considering there is something foul about it. I'd actually much prefer some more of your tea today. I trust that you're using ingredients that would much be approved by gourmet enthusiasts. But the smell of the food... is something I can remember when I was just a child on the streets in Penari, hanging near shanty towns." She said as she began putting her cup of tea closer to her nose to mask away the smell. "A very desperate sort of breakfast they seem to be having, I must say..."

She continued to hide her nose in the fragrance of the tea. You could tell she was really trying to discard that questionable smell. While cooked food is always great, but there has to be a line of what you should be cooking with. If what she believes the food being made out of is correct, she'd rather fight another wave of monsters than eat a disgusting rat dish. As someone who traveled around, experiencing different types of cultures and ate all sorts of foods, rat dishes is what she's seen people become terribly ill from. It wouldn't be too much to say that it was the most unsanitary. She would never eat it even if it was prepared by a royal chef.

Thinking about it all now seemed to have sour her mood and would keep to the cup of tea she had left, its fragrance and taste saving her from dwelling deeper into an abstract type of Hell. She wouldn't wish this sort of thing onto any other person. Not even the little thief girl. In fact, she'd rather them just have a normal cup of tea. She remembered hearing about it being a sort of breakfast somewhere. A cigar and tea? Sounds a bit right. At least, they could start the day on a good start. She looked up at Faenor with a look that just make her seem like she's pitying the person who is currently having that meal.
"I think I'll stay here a bit longer, the smell of the food is making me a little ill. Perhaps you could get them to try your tea too? It may boost morale in most if they were to have something decent and delicious." She said, nearly pleading. She thinks it would be a nice idea to give them a pot of tea as well, but it depends on Faenor. It's his tea, his ingredients and his magic. She couldn't sell him out to them like serving him on a silver platter. It was his choice if he wanted to help them or not. Even so, perhaps it may earn some points with the Hilt? Regardless of his current conditions.

Last edited:
Anselm relaxed a little as he sat amidst the comforting conversations around him. This was far different from mornings at his 'home' and talk far kinder than the mornings in taverns or on the roadside. It almost made him forget the whole thing that is happening. Almost. Glancing out the window he sadly gazed at the rising sun. Letting out a painful sigh, offering a small wince at the action, before turning to the group.

"I hate to interrupt our lovely, uh, 'breakfast', but the time to go is rapidly approaching, I suggest you all pack up if you haven't already and make your way to the stables so we can set off." he glanced around the group, "does anyone know where the other three are? The small one with the dog, and the two mages. If one of you could remind them we need to leave, that would be great." he offered as he stood up, sucking in a deep breath as the pain made his stomach swim, closing his eyes for a moment as he waited for it to leave.

after a moment Anselm regained his composure, proceeding slow steps forward as he moved to return to his room so that he could grab the last of his belongings that he hadn't placed on his person. This led to slow and awkward steps up the stairs, stopping every now and then as another wave of pain went through his body. As much as this stop of rest was much needed for the group, it was also not somewhere they could stay forever, they had a quest after all.

Firelie Firelie Idea Idea Goonfire Goonfire
---
Borre offered the young girl a small smile, moving his hand to give her a head pat before remembering her reaction the other day and deciding against it. He instead moved it up to scratch the back of his head, "it's no issue at all, we all have to start somewhere." he then proceeded to glance up at the sky, checking the time, "I'd say we are set to take off pretty soon, are the two of you ready to set off?"

he added, giving the horse another pat as he said that. He had prepped most of the horses earlier on the order of Anselm, though personal belongings would still need to add to the horses. How far would their journey take them? How many more would be injured? Anselm was already injured, could they really make it through another night like last night when they were now down another person? What if it got worse? Borre hoped he could protect Tira and Siv and the rest of them, he hoped that he was strong enough.
Juju Juju
--
The True Plague The True Plague CasualTea CasualTea (vibe check for AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa as well)

Faenor never stated he thought they didnt have breakfast. Merely questioned if they were planning their next move. Who wouldn't plan their next move over breakfast? It wastes as little daylight as possible, meaning you've got more time to travel before the dark settles in. Simply makes sense even to his noble sensibility. Though that same sensibility is currently what blinds him to the origin of the current scent. Rats were for cats, not people after all.

"Yes, it does seem like one of our companions are cooking..." He'd hum, thinking. Let's see, who could it be? He could write off the thief, the lizard, and the small noble. Not likely the noble could cook, the thief probably never has seen a kitchen aside from stealing from one. The lizard? He's willing to bet a single coin it eats even its meat raw. The Hilt? Possible, not likely but possible. The Blade? Potentially? He's never seen a Blade cook, but that doesn't mean they can't... That one brute? Eh... Maybe? Either him or Sitra. "Though I can't really detect anything necessarily foul about the meal from here. Sure, not of a quality I'd accept at home, but one does have to lower their expectations on the move, yes?" He's not even going to bother addressing the quality of his ingredients. Obviously he'd drink quality tea, even when traveling. Even if it'd taste better at home...

"Hmm..." On one hand, extra points with the Hilt assuming the Hilt enjoys the tea. On the other... That little thief may try stealing his tea cups. Sure, this is a travel set, but still! It's the principle of the matter. Is it worth the risk of losing a cup? What if the Hilt is somehow allergic to tea? Not the weirdest thing he's heard of...

"Well, if you're so certain they're having a desperate meal, perhaps it'd do me well to ensure they've got at least something of quality to pair it with." Carefully, he'd begin to pick up his pot and cup. Now, this will be difficult to manage... How will he bring the extra cups for everyone else? The lad, at the end of the day, only has two hands. Well... Unless... "Given it's your idea for me to offer them my tea, you can help by bringing along the cups." He didn't exactly ask. It was more just informing her if she wants this good deed to pass, she must assist. He is not making multiple trips to do this. Who knows, perhaps she'll elaborate on this alleged disgusting smell. Honestly, humans... So weird.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of if Faenor received assistance bringing the cups along or not, Faenor would in fact enter the kitchen, casually drinking from his cup of tea. Although perhaps disinterested, his gaze would pass over those present. Let's see, Sitra... The lizard... The brute...? Seems he must have just missed Anselm. Damn it. That's the entire point of him going to the kitchen... No matter. Chin up, you can still salvage this. It looks worse if he doesn't offer just because Anselm wasn't there.

"Extra cups should be along in a moment. Would anyone like some jasmine tea? Should still be warm." He tried for a pleasant tone, though who knows if he could actually manage it. Let's just see if any of these uncultured humans can appreciate good tea...

CasualTea CasualTea Firelie Firelie Goonfire Goonfire Idea Idea

As the day grew ripe, the group gathered their belongings, returning to the stables as they were prepared to set out. With the newly acquired wounds, the travel grew more difficult, the horses jolting and aggravating wounds with each step. The group pressed on, and the life of the land seems to be completely gone now. All vegetation turned black, and not even the soil seemed to hold any moisture.

many days stretched out before them as they battled an increasing amount of monsters. The group set up camp when the sun went down and set up in the morning, taking turns guarding and watching for monsters that would approach the camp. As they set out each day, they grew closer to their destination. There were no more people to save as they grew closer to the source; towns were abandoned no more citizens were left alive. Not even corpses remained, having been picked clean in most places.

---- TIME SKIP(around a month)---
The group pressed forward another day; wounds were healed, now becoming mere scars. In the distance, they could see the towering building of Twin Swords Meet. The somber sky did not spill any rain in the last month but stayed fat, unwilling to spill water onto the cursed land. As the group closed the distance, the silent unanswered question still remained. How many monsters would be at the source? What awaited them as they pressed forward? No answer came. The only way to find out would be when they finally made it.
Juju Juju The True Plague The True Plague CasualTea CasualTea Firelie Firelie Goonfire Goonfire Idea Idea

Faenor couldn't help the small sigh from escaping him. It was just... A tad disappointing, in all honesty. After all, he didn't have enough time to share his tea that day. By the time Anselm had came back down, it was time to go. Which also lead to Faenor practically drinking the rest of his pot of tea by himself on the way to the back of the commandeered house. What? Expected him to toss out some decent tea? That'd be stupid. Sadly, no time to clean it even with it empty but... Well, he'll just have to use the same type of tea again.

It took mere minutes for Faenor to have the tea set and its associated items packed back up. Mostly because he also had to wait for Yona to be done with the cup he poured for her before he had left the room. Thankfully, that proved to be hardly an obstacle to his getting ready. Everything said and done, he had hefted his various things he had taken from the stable to ensure that thief didn't get her grubby hands on them, and returned them to the stable to get it reunited with his beast of burden. Idly, he wondered if he should name the horse? Like... He's not been told if it had a name. There's a good chance they both die on this venture... Why not name the horse? Ah... But what to name it?

Now that? That's a question that haunted him for the first week of their travel. Sure, he still fought when monsters approached the camp, and did his best when on guard duty to stay focused... But well... There was so much time when on the road that chatter just couldn't pass all that time. Not even accounting for when they'd stop to let the horses eat, or drink, or when they'd stop to do the same. During those times, he'd oft find himself wondering. Sure, he could just... Name it Horse. Nothing stops him from doing so. It just felt so lame though. It carries a notable fire sorcerer, on a mission with the Hilt for the Brothers' sake! He can't just name it Horse.

On the seventh day though, as he sat besides a dying fire, an answer struck him. Where there is fire, there is smoke. His horse shall be named Smoke! Albeit, in the Elven tongue. Last thing he needs is to be mocked for the somewhat childish name he had chosen for his steed. Nonetheless, from then on others may hear him refer to 'Osp' on their travels. Maybe the one or two who might know Elven will know what it means. Who cares? He's named his travel companion, and he thinks it fits just fine!

Nevertheless, the next three weeks after naming his horse were rather uneventful. He did much the same as he did that first week. Rode upon Osp, ate with his fellow travellers when they stopped, meditated before bed when not on guard duty. Sure, there were encounters with monsters here and there. Not all of them exactly clean operations, but nothing major in terms of injuries. Only thing he'd call unusual would be the sky. It's been holding water for a month now! Just burst already damn it! He didn't want another fight in the rain. He had to put more effort in just to maintain his average results when the rain combats his flames...

Speaking of the sky, Faenor had been keeping watch of it. After all, the clouds kept him from knowing a good estimate of time. Maybe they've been travelling all day? Perhaps it is time for them to rest again? "Hmm... Tell me, does anyone think we'll make it there today?" Regardless of if there was some idle chatter between his fellow riders today, or melancholic silence, Faenor chose to break in with a question. He's not exactly travelled distances this long before, and still is developing his ability to estimate travel time. "Or shall we rest another night with our destination in sight?"

seasonedcat seasonedcat Juju Juju CasualTea CasualTea Firelie Firelie Goonfire Goonfire Idea Idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back