• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion a suggestion for the site involving profile pictures

AniMANIA7983

Axolotl be back
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I posted this in discussion before so I thought I might as well make it a suggestion

Ok, so this site is cool, so i thought of something that would make it even cooler.

ive noticed that some profile pictures look better in light and others better in dark, so what if the site had the ability to have 2 profile pictures that people could view in those different settings if one so wanted.

Like an example would be, light theme profile picture: a cute little drawing of a bee; dark theme picture: a wolf howling at the moon.

If they just set one it would show as both until they go into setting and change the other.

I don't know how complex it would be for the code, but id like to think it is as simple as a else if operation.

The problem I see with this, while being a nice idea, is that maybe a handful of people would use it, at most, even if it was possible to implement which I am not sure it is. This is because people don't habitually switch between dark and light mode and don't really concern themselves with other's existence most of the time. You will often see that people new to coding for instance just assume that what they are viewing in their own mode is a universal experience, not worrying for instance about the fact the text changes between modes.

Add to that, that most RPN users rarely change pictures. To some extent some user's whole identities on the site become over time associated (not dependent, but in some ways represented by) with their profile pictures. So changing the profile picture would be something that you personally wouldn't get to see most of the time, having to go through the hassle of finding a picture that works for each of the modes (or one for both), and in turn diminuishing the value of the profile picture to them.

What I'm trying to say is to most people the idea probably wouldn't affect what they do at all, or would just pose a new problem due to their sense of responsibility to the newfound option. Of course, the idea itself is neat and to those few who would want to make use of it it might be quite a brilliant idea. However, the effort it might take to set up just doesn't seem worth it to me. Then again, my own understanding of the coding of these things is pretty limited, but I wanted to bring this into consideration.

AniMANIA7983 AniMANIA7983 Profile pictures are a subjective aesthetic and what you may consider looks good in light theme someone may prefer in dark theme. That being said the software doesn't support this kind of option at this time and I am unaware if an addon has been created for such a function since most addons are demand based. So higher demand the developers will consider coding for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back