• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Song of Dragons... and Dungeons. (IC Thread)

Characters
Here
Other
Here

Human Error

*Insert Incoherent Screeching Here*
To set the setting.
It is the first snowfall of a predicted hard Winter in Waterdeep.
The snow already being a few inches thick, a biting cold wind piercing through clothing and armor, The chill causing even your bones to start to freeze over.
It is hard to see clearly in front of you, and the howling winds cause for a difficult time telling what is what.
However.
As if to lighten your day, the laughs and the cheers can be heard up ahead, the esteemed Yawning Portal was just up ahead, a place of adventurers, and more importantly, a place of Warmth.

The Yawning Portal is a famous inn and tavern located in the Castle Ward of Waterdeep.
The place is a stone building with several chimneys poking out of the slate roof, all billowing smoke into the Winter Storm.
Inside, most of the floor is taken up by the tavern's common room, which contains a 40-foot-diameter open well, when peering down into the well, all you would see is darkness (Even with darkvision).
A rope-and-pulley mechanism is stationed here, used to lower adventurers into the well and hoist them out.

There WILL be Sidekicks, for which i will figure out rules for and I will play.

You each have your different reasons for being here, as I will start out.

Garath
You haven't been in Waterdeep for very long, but the time you have been here has been rather pleasant, a stark contrast to the welcomes you normally receive
You found yourself being drawn into the Yawning Portal inn, whether it be for a room to stay in, to speak with others, or purely to drink.
Regardless of reason, you have quickly become one of the many adventurers that hold this place in high regard, as well has having to gotten to know the Innkeeper, Durnan, a little more.
The ex-adventurer had quickly taken a liking to you, as you generally (Because of your HUGE stature) keep a decent order of the place by mere presence alone. Because of this, he ends up giving you free food and drink as you stay here, as payment for "Keeping the Peace".

You are probably sitting in one of the booths, enjoying yourself a meal, as whatever plans you had today get blow away by the harsh winter winds outside.
The, rather pathetic, bard on stage playing his lute, pretty horribly, gives a nice(?) tune to listen to as you eat.
But something interrupts your "Quiet" meal. A woman, her long black hair tied messily behind her head, a shortbow wrapped around her upper body, a dark grey cloak wrapped around herself as she shakes some snow off of her. She invites herself into your booth as she gives you a toothy smile, a playful look in her strange crimson eyes.
This woman was Ella Shihlor, a young human (About 22 years of age) who had gotten to this town not much sooner than you did, she had quickly taken an interest to you and took most every chance she could to speak with you, generally listening to your stories, more than telling her own, but what you do know of her, she tends to keep a good watch of crime that goes on in the city, not taking to kindly with it either.
"Hey there, Big guy!" she started, waving at a employee to come over, "Did you get snowed in too? Isn't much I can really do out there, in this blasted winter."

Cassandra Arkane
You have just arrived in Waterdeep, your family had gotten a summons from a legendary traveler and storyteller, Volothamp Geddarm, to help him with a task that he preferred to keep secret, at least until her met in person.
Wanting to prove yourself, you took on the task to meet with Volothamp on your families behalf.
Accompanied by your retainer, Durand Achtuo, a Human Man (About 25) wearing your families crest on his chest and as a cloak over his shoulders, A greatsword covered and strapped to his back.
Durand has always had a strong sense of justice, and prides himself in it, as well as he has been known to be... Overprotective and defensive.
So as you drew nearer to the Yawning Portal in Waterdeep, as that is the meeting place you were told by Volothamp, Durand had kept suggesting you to take his cloak, despite the Winter being your element.

As you enter into the Yawning Portal, the comforting wave of warmth hits you, as well as the scent of food and drink, the louds sounds of drunkards yelling and people conversing.
You scan the Tavern, but you see no immediate sign of the man you are supposed to meet.
Durand brushes some of the snow off of himself, taking a moment for his eyes to adjust to the light before speaking towards you,
"Do you see him, milady?"

"Ale" Nilsen
You have been a commoner in Waterdeep for a while now, getting your Odd jobs here and there.
Most of your jobs come from the Yawning Portal, whether it's healing a drunk after a bar fight, or somebody comes in with a problem, you've learned to go with the flow of Waterdeep, knowing that the longer you stay in this city, the more opportunities will arise.
For whatever reason you have to be at the Yawning Portal, you are there, probably to shelter from the horrible weather outside, or maybe it's to get drunk as you wait for the next job, whatever the reason, you are there.
Durnan, the innkeeper and ex-adventurer, notices you walking about, waves you over and sets a mug of ale on the counter, speaking to you in his gruff tone,
"And what is the Man of the North up to today, eh?​

Last edited:
Cassandra Arkane
8725b7dec5e4e2f2bde02b3a460236f5eb5b5e6a_hq.gif

Interactions: Durand & Durnan ( Human Error Human Error )

Mentions:

As they walked in the middle of the ice storm Cassandra couldn’t help but to feel a bit nostalgic, after all this weather is typical of her home. She took the time to politely decline Durand’s offers time and time again, not just because she’s perfectly comfortable with the cold but because he is a human peasant that can use every advantage he can muster if he’s to survive and be of use to her. ”Oh, it’s not necessary. As you know my birthright is to rule The High Ice, if I were to allow a small breeze like this to bother me I would fail as a princess.” She smiled away his worries, taking a little moment to appreciate his physique.

gilgamesh-fate-zero-gif-6.gif

The rest of the journey was uneventful, which made Durand’s presence a bit unnecessary as she had suspected. Nothing she could do about it though, her parents had appointed him to keep her safe even if this was supposed to be her journey to become a better ruler in the future. His sword might come in handy at some point but in the meantime she’ll have to settle with his good-looking face. She tried to look inside the Inn for Volo but felt her efforts would be wasted, instead she approached to the counter where typically the Innkeeper should be while replying to Durand’s inquiry. ”I don’t see him but I believe there’s someone who might.” Her silvery white hair shines as the snowflakes that fell on it catch warmth and light, melting in a sparkling fashion. This comes in handy since she pretends to persuade the Innkeeper to tell her the information she needs. With a kind smile and a sweet voice she asks to the man, ”Greetings, we have an appointment with Mr. Volothamp Geddarm, would you be so kind to tell me if he has arrived yet?” batting her eyelashes delicately.
Code by Neo Alice ©

Last edited:
Garath smiles at the sudden appearance of Ella Shihlor and waves for her to join him. "Ah, the cold is biting, but I've dealt with worse in my apprenticeship. At least here I'm not hauling cords of firewood for the lords of the Keep I trained with." He shifts a bit in his seat, the holy symbol of Torm hanging around his neck, shining in the firelight. "Is there any trouble in the town you need a strong arm to help deal with? There are times that I feel my talents are going to naught, just sitting here waiting for the storm to end."

Cassandra and Ale
The Innkeeper raised an eyebrow as he saw the Princess enter the tavern, he knew by the way she carried herself that she wasn't like the rest of these adventurers.
Durnan leaned against the bar and motioned with his head toward the Aasimar,
"Get a good look at this one, Ale, they are normally the troublesome types..."
Durnan smirked before moving over to an open spot, allowing Cassandra to speak with him.

At the mention of Volothamps name, Durnan was taken aback slightly,
"Volo? Here?"
The innkeeper took a moment to look around, taking more time to look at the spots that were the most noisy.
Durnan shrugged and shook his head,
"Don't look like it, lass. But you sure are welcome to make yourself comfortable while you wait for the man."

Garath
Ella kept her cloak tightly around her, still warming up from the outside, shaking her head with a exasperated sigh,
"Nothing that I know of, just the typical mugging and stealing that is far too common."
She then looked toward the minotaur and laughed a bit,
"But you would be my first choice for muscle. Who better than a holy man of Torm?"
Her eyes glanced toward the Princess who walked in, she looked way out of place for what was the usual patrons here.
She shook some thoughts out of her head as her eyes changed to a particularly noisy corner of the tavern, a female half-orc and 5 humans sitting at a table, they seemed to be arguing.​

Last edited:
Ale was, ironically, more of a wine man himself. Walking into the tavern with hunched shoulders and a tired expression, Ale had immediately taken his place in front of Durnan at the bar. Giving a nod of thanks and a smile of appreciation to the barman, Ale graciously took the mug of ale in front of him. Without further pleasantries, Ale downed the entire mug in a single swig. He'd never liked the fruity taste that came with ale, but the way it burned his throat mirrored wine enough for him not to notice. He'd taken today as one of his weekly church visits, and had it been a long one. What had been a simple sermon had quickly devolved into a 12-hour talk of philosophy.

Watching the white-haired lady talk to Durnan, who he could assume was of higher status judging by their manservant and clothes, Ale's brows creased in confusion.

"Who's Volo?" Ale asked in a quiet tone, leaning across the bar towards Durnan while also presenting his mug for a refill.

Cassandra Arkane
tumblr_miclaayl4Z1qhrxsqo1_500.gif

Interactions: Durnan & Durand( Human Error Human Error )

Mentions: Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood )

A few looks didn’t made her uncomfortable, obviously she wasn’t here on official royal matters so her identity wasn’t really important at the moment but she knew there was no way she could look and act like a commoner so she didn’t made any efforts to hide her royal demeanor. She took a seat on the counter, she wasn’t going to reject the man’s hospitality. ”I appreciate your kindness,” She looks around one more time, trying unsuccessfully to spot Volo once again. ”I suppose the storm might have slowed him down? That’s usual around here, right?” Back in her kingdom where everything is covered by ice and snow never stops falling from the sky systems are in place to keep everything running smoothly while also taking full advantage of the weather. It’s not surprise that in places with less constant weathers such precautions are not yet developed.

Suddenly after scanning the room that second time something odd came into consideration, there was a huge creature sitting in one of the booths with a regular looking human. ”Is that a Minotaur? Indoors?” Her eyes go back to the Innkeeper, not scared but actually quite excited. ”Waterdeep is full of wonders isn’t it?” No one ever told her of Minotaurs capable of civility so finding one happily sitting on a booth was shocking. ”Do you want something to drink Durand?” She addressed her guard now, he had to be in optimal conditions. ”Self-care is important too, you know? You could catch a cold if you’re not careful.” Peasants must be taken care of, otherwise they could get sick and die, especially someone like Durand that always puts everyone else first. Having her only peasant in here die because of this little cool breeze would be disgraceful.
Code by Neo Alice ©

Garath glances over at the very out of place woman and her retainer as they walk in, noting that he does catch their eyes as they head to the bar. No real surprise; he does stand out a bit from the crowd, especially since there are so few minotaur paladins of Torm in the world. Then, he grins over at Ella. "If you need any extra muscle to help out with trouble, I'm your man." He continues to eye the woman watching him, until the loud arguing at the corner table draws his attention.

With a nod of his head towards the loud table, he says, "I wonder what has them all riled up."

Ale and Cassandra
Durnam tapped his fingers against the bar top, grabbing the mug from in front of Ale, shaking it slightly, as if a way of asking if he wanted more,
"It would make sense why you wouldn't know him well," Durnam started, "He is a very successful adventurer and storyteller, just finished his 'greatest piece yet!' something called, Volo's Guide to monsters."
Durnam let out a chuckle before speaking again, "If you want my opinion, I can't say the man has bad intentions, but he is a man of embellishment. Not a liar, just similar."
Durnam turned his focus toward Cassandra, "The minotaur? He's new here, he's a bit scary to look at, but I'm about to turn down somebody who doesn't cause trouble. In fact it's the opposite."
Durnam filled up a mug and slid it in front of Durand after she asked him if he wanted something.
Durand was a bit hesitant, glancing at Cassandra before grabbing the mug and beginning to drink it.
"Thank you, sir." Durand said plainly, nodding to Durnam in acknowledgement.

Garath
Ella let out a sigh before nodding to the barmaid that gave her the drink,
"I don't know, but It's getting quite annoying."

ALL
The sounds of gamblers yelling and the off-key strumming of the young bard were quickly taken over by the group in the corner,
"Ya pig! Like killin' me mates, does ya?"
Then the seven-foot-tall Half-orc is hit by a wild, swinging punch from a male human whose shaved head is covered with eye-shaped tattoos. Four other humans stand behind him, ready to jump into the fray. The half-orc cracks her knuckles, roars, and leaps at the tattooed figure.
But before you can see if blood is drawn, a crowd of spectators clusters around the brawl.

I will roll initiative for all the players, if you do not want join the fray, then don't
You would have to push through the crowd to get to the fight inside, before that, you can't see anything.
Ella will be pushing through, Durand will wait for orders, although itching to stop it.

Initiative Order
Ella - 16
Garath - 14
Drunk Humans - 5
Ale - 4
Durand - 4
Cassandra - 2
Half-Orc - 2

(We will see how this works, this is a learning experience for myself, so we will see how orderly this plays out. I'm sorry if this turns into a mess. )

Ella - Ella lets go of her drink and slides out of the booth, running to the crowd and shouldering her way through. You hear, through the shouts and hollers, Ella yell, "C'mon! Get offa him!"

Sherwood Sherwood You're up.

Cassandra Arkane
WetSlightArcticwolf-small.gif

Interactions: Durnan & Durand( Human Error Human Error )

Mentions: -

Cassandra smiled widely after seeing him taking his drink, peasants must comply for their own safety, good boy! But then one of the noises rose from the pool of acoustic contamination within the Inn, her eyes darted towards the source and people were gathering around what appeared to be a fight. ”Oh! My first ‘Bar brawl’! Lead the way Durand.” She raises her left hand signaling towards the crowd, obviously the man had to disperse it himself since she’s well aware that her capabilities are useful only at long range, not to mention it’s beneath her to do such a menial task.

Her voice was directed at the Innkeeper ”Don’t worry my good man, we’ll take care of it.” and then she stood up from her seat, waiting for Durand to move and then move behind him after he starts to make a path for her. Meanwhile she whispered to her peasant in order to keep her words secret. ”Just keep in mind this isn’t exactly law-abiding behavior, even if we just stun them, don’t mention it to Mother nor Father and don’t get caught by the City Watch neither.” Easy enough, right? What could ever go wrong?
Code by Neo Alice ©

Cassandra
Durand gave her a surprised look when she got excited about a bar fight, he opened his mouth to speak before shutting it once more and moving toward the crowd, pushing and shoving people out of the way, to make room for Cassandra.
Durnam just gave her a weird look and just nodded, "Right... You do that, lass."

As Durand pushed his way into the ring of people, you see the Half-Orc (AC: 11 - HP: 32) atop of a nearly beaten human (AC: 12 - HP: 3)
The four other humans (AC: 12 - HP 11) are getting ready to tackle the Half-Orc.
All while Ella is attempting to pull the Half-Orc off of the man, to no avail.

Durand glances back at Cassandra before looking back toward the fray and getting himself ready to charge in.

(Okay NOW Initiative is in play, now that we can see the scene and the numbers.)

"2 silver pieces says she wins," Ale said as he brought a fresh mug of ale to his lips. Meanwhile, a confused drunk on the barstool next to him searched for their drink.

With a low growl, Garath rises up and heads for the fight, aiming to help Ella break it up. In a loud voice, he yells out, "Alright! That's enough! Break it up before you end up killing someone!" He uses his size and his great strength to push his way forward through the crowd.

The minotaur, pushing through the crowd and grabbing the Half-Orc by the arm, (STR check: 22) and pulling the Half-Orc away from the humans,
Basically pulling the Half-orc to stand up, Garath put the 7-foot-tall Half-orc to shame as the minotaur towered over her.

The humans were a bit hesitant, seeing the minotaur, but the bald man (AC: 12 - HP: 3) on the ground got up, and in a blind rage, rushed at the Half-Orc for some revenge.
Throwing a punch at her direction, however the Half-Orc (AC: 11 - HP: 32) was able to dodge it this time.
Two of the other humans (AC: 12 - HP: 11) rushed in and grabbed a hold of the half-orc, grappling her.
The other two humans eyed the minotaur in case he tried anything, hoping he didn't.

Ale
Togy Togy
(Perception Check: 21)
In your case, you actually hear a low grumble and some thuds coming from the hole in the middle of the tavern.

If you were to check it out, its pretty difficult to see it, but you can see some type of large figure climbing up the sides of the hole. About 30 ft down, right at the edge of the dim light.
If you do not check it, it remains a mystery, but you still hear it.​

Ale, with the practiced vigilance of a man that didn't have two shits to give, made out the growling coming from the hole almost immediately despite the roaring of the drunken crowd a few feet away. Cautiously stepping forward and peering into the pit, Ale stared for a good few seconds before turning to Durnan.

"Durnan? Is this a feature?" Ale asked nervously.

Last edited:
Durnan raised an eyebrow and walked over to the pit, taking a moment for his eyes to adjust before his eyes widened, he then turned to the crowd and yelled out,
"Troll!"
With that being said, Durnan slid over his countertop and started shuffling some things around, looking for something.

Durand: Durand was prepared to jump into the fight, but once he heard the word 'Troll', he turned back and instinctively drew his greatsword, stepping in between Cassandra and the hole, deciding this was more important than a bar fight.

The rest of the patrons of the tavern went into a panic and began either flooding up the stairs or leaving the building entirely.
The troll would reach the surface in a matter of seconds.

"That's a no then?" Ale asked, eyes trailing after Durnan as the man hopped over the bar. He watched as the bar-goers ran for their lives, trampling each other as they made their way out of the bar. His eyes longed for the exit, but he forced himself to stay. He couldn't just leave Durnan to pick up the mess himself.

Cassandra Arkane
original.gif

Interactions: -

Mentions: -

Cassandra was going to blast some butt with her fire bolts but apparently something more urgent took place, Durand covered her from the opposite side when the innkeeper shouted ‘Troll’ and everyone started to run away from the place. Obviously she wasn’t going anywhere, she turned around and got sure she was within 119 feet from the pit, then she got ready by casting Fire Bolt. So while chanting ”Drakkan Celesfire.” her hands formed a wing shaped pattern in the air as part of the casting and she kept concentrating in the spell, she would cast it as soon as the troll was on sight and hostile so she kept her left hand raised towards the pit.

Code by Neo Alice ©

Initiative
Ella: 16
Garath: 14
Durnan: 11
Stirge: 10
Humans: Have left the Initiative
Troll: 5
Ale: 4
Durand: 4
Cassandra: 2
Half-Orc: Have left the initiative

Both the Half-Orc and the humans have left the tavern, not wanting to be here for the Troll problem.

The Initiative is now on Ella, as Cassandra Readies a firebolt for her turn, in which goes off once the trolls makes it's way to the top of the pit.
However, the Fire Bolt (9 on the Attack Roll) does not land, instead hitting one of the Nine Stirges that came up attached to the troll.
Feeling the heat of the tavern, 5 of the stirges flee back into the pit, one dies from the fire bolt and 3 more stay, looking at the new tasty morsels they can feed on.
Durnan retrieves his greatsword from behind the counter, and slides back over to join the fray, shouting at anyone who would listen,
"Deal with the stirges first! Then light the troll on fire once it's down!"

Troll (AC: 15 - HP: 44/84)
3 Stirges (AC: 14 - HP: 2)

Top of Initiative
Ella:
She takes a quick look around and runs up the stairs, jumping over a railing and balancing on one of the rafters above the pit, laying down and beginning to untie one of the hanging lanterns from up there.

Sherwood Sherwood Garath has the Initiative!​

With a sharp motion, Garath readies his sword and shield, ready to go into combat. Assuming that I have an action left after readying my weapons, I'll go ahead and strike one of the Stirges.

+7 to hit, doing 1d8+5 with a successful strike.
Hit Points: 13
Armor Class: 18
Initiative: +1

Armor and Weapons
Longsword
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d8+5 Slashing, Martial, Versatile

Horn Gore
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d6+5 Piercing

Javelin, x5
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d6+5, Range 30ft/120ft, Piercing, Thrown

Chain Mail: +6 AC
Stealth Disadvantage

Shield: +2 AC

(There was a brief moment in between your last action and the troll actually getting to the top of the pit, so you had time to draw your weapons.)
Garath quickly charges in and expertly slashes through one of the Stirges, both halves of it splattering to the ground.

Durnan: Durnan rushes into the troll, cleaving into the troll twice, missing two times, for a total of 19 damage to the troll.

Stirge: The Stirges will attack Ale and Garath, one penetrating Ale, attaching itself to him (5 Piercing Damage to Ale, and It is now attached to you.) And the other unable to pierce through Garaths armor.

Troll: Enraged, it launches itself at Durnan, only connecting a single claw attack on him. As well as some of it's wounds fade.

Troll (AC: 15 - HP: 35/84)
2 Stirges (AC: 14 - HP: 2)

Togy Togy Ale has the Initiative!​

Ale let out a grunt as the Stirge latched itself onto him. It was latched onto his shoulder, having cleaved through his skin. Well, he wasn't dead yet, so it must not have hit anything important. He'd worry about it later. Meanwhile, a few feet away, the troll clawed at his favorite bartender. Irritation pricked at him. Well, now he had to jump into action. He couldn't just leave Durnan hanging.

Mustering what little idiotic bravery he had, Ale charged forwards and threw a punch at the troll, casting inflict wounds when flesh struck flesh.

As Ale struck the troll, the troll let out a roar as the necrotic power flowed through it's body. (28 points of damage. Out of fucking 30. Damn.)

Durand: He will listen to the Innkeepers advice, and let loose against a stirge, swinging his greatsword at the one left in the air, He cleaves straight through it with enough force to send the other halves splattering against the wall. (He Crit for 23 damage.)

Troll (AC: 15 - HP: 7/84)
Stirge (AC: 14 - HP: 2)
Attached to Ale.

Neo Alice Neo Alice Cassandra has the initiative!​

Cassandra Arkane
e57ed5c81a415f552acaf6be2ebaa438.gif

Interactions: -

Mentions: @Tygo (Ale) Durran ( Human Error Human Error )

The princess was a bit surprised when her attack missed horribly, luckily it hit another enemy and made a large number of them run away so she could pretend like it was all part of her plan. She wasn’t about to follow orders from the Innkeeper, especially since she already took care of the majority of stirges in a way or another. The troll seemed to take a good amount of damage from the last punch made from the guy with the stirge attached to him, it would certainly be a waste to miss this opportunity.

Since the boy had proved to be capable of defending himself, she focused on the Troll ahead. ”Drakkan Celesfire!” She chanted loud and clear while her hands formed a wing shaped pattern in the air as part of the casting of Fire Bolt. From her hands a white arcane mote of fire that resembled the figure of the head of a white dragon hurled towards the monster, hopefully this time the spell would hit directly on the target and not another minion.
Code by Neo Alice ©

As the Fire Bolt shot out, the fire bolt lands, splashing against the skin of the troll. (15 to Attack, 5 Fire damage to the troll)

Ella: Ella finally release the latch holding the lantern in place, tossing it downward at the troll, landing spot on the trolls head, the impact only proved to annoy the troll, however, the oil of the lantern covered most of the trolls body, instantly igniting once it touched the fire from the previous fireball.
The troll let out a roar before falling to a knee, then limply falling backward into the pit.

Stirge (AC: 14 - HP: 2) Attached to Ale.

Sherwood Sherwood Garath has Initiative!​

With the threat of the troll ended (at least for now), Garath focuses on the last Stirge. With a powerful swing of his longsword, he tries to kill it.
Hit Points: 13
Armor Class: 18
Initiative: +1

Armor and Weapons
Longsword
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d8+5 Slashing, Martial, Versatile

Horn Gore
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d6+5 Piercing

Javelin, x5
To Hit: +7, Damage: 1d6+5, Range 30ft/120ft, Piercing, Thrown

Chain Mail: +6 AC
Stealth Disadvantage