• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Song of Dragons... and Dungeons. (IC Thread)

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Garath slices his sword downward, a tight angle, due to it being attached to Ale, however, Garath managed to slice it straight off, killing it in the process.

Initiative Ends

Durnan glanced down the pit and shrugged, resting his greatsword on the ground, turning to face the party, "You fought well." He said before moving back behind the counter, hanging his sword up on the wall once more.
Some of the patrons who were stayed behind came out of hiding and began to clap and cheer.

But out of the crowd came a man, a large smile on his face, he walked up to the party, taking off his hat and bending into a low bow.
"Volothamp, Geddarm, chronicler, wizard, and celebrity, At your service."
He looked at each party member,
"You all seem like an able lot, maybe you can help me, come, come, let's find a table to talk, shall we?"
Volothamp turned his attention toward Cassandra and bowed once more, "And you and I can speak of why you are here, I apologize for the tardiness, princess."

He led them all to a newly opened booth, and waited for everyone to get settled before speaking once more.
Volothamp strokes his mustache, adjusts his floppy hat, and tightens his scarf,
"I trust some of you've noted the violence in our fair city these past tendays. I haven't seen so much blood since my last visit to Baldur's Gate! But now I fear I have misplaced a friend amid this odious malevolence."
Volothamp's voice went from having an air of charm and mystery, to devolving into tearful sincerity,
"My friend's name is Floon Blagmaar. He's got more beauty the brains, and I worry he took a bad way home a couple of nights ago an was kidnapped... Or worse. If you agree to track him down with all due haste, I can offer you ten dragons (Gold) apiece now, and I can give you each ten times that when you find Floon. May I prevail upon you in my hour of need?"
Volothamp practically started begging near the end of the plea, pulling gold coins out of his pouch and laying them upon the table, looking up at each of the party.​

Garath takes a moment to clean his blade before sliding it back into its sheath. Proper care of one's equipment is important, after all. Next, he looks to Ale and asks, "How badly are you injured? I have some minor talent in healing that might be able to aid you. No need to worry; I've done it before."

If Ale accepts his offer, Garath will gladly perform a Lay on Hands to restore up to 5 hit points of damage done.

Then, there is the offer of work from Volothamp. Not only will that help pay his room and board, it may turn out that there is a person in need of rescue. With a deep rumble in his throat, he says, "The gold is much appreciated, but I do have some questions. What if we find that your friend is no longer among the living, and all we can do is provide proof of his death? Also, I would need to know how to identify this Floon so as to know whom to rescue."

Volothamp turned his gaze upward toward the large minotaur, he gulped before speaking,
"The hope is that he isn't dead... But if he is truly dead, then I will still give payment as promised."
He let out a sigh before straightening up,
"Of course, I would give you all the information I know if you were to accept my offer! I wouldn't leave you without my support!"​

Cassandra Arkane
ccadfe4f10498a2c1670b5dab0a4629b09dfbab3_hq.gif

Interactions: Volo ( Human Error Human Error ) and Everyone else.

Mentions: Everyone at the table.

Although her spell didn’t had the strength she had hoped for, oil was spilled all over the troll and her fire ultimately killed him, one way or another. Then the minotaur killed the stirge with impeccable precision, the crowd cheered and she smiled. Then Volo finally appeared and at his mention of his tardiness she just nodded, at least she had a good time fighting that monster and practicing her spells. She took a seat next to Durand and listened to Volo’s plea and offer. It wasn’t exactly exciting but it was a start in her road to prove herself as a deserving ruler.

The princess considered it for a moment after hearing the questions of the Minotaur and then replied at Volo. ”As you must know already, I don’t need money, Mr. Geddarm. However, we will help you as you requested. If you feel the necessity of repay us somehow I would like something that can only be made by a great wizard, such as yourself, nothing else.” Magic is invaluable, unlike money, so why waste this chance? After all, the life of his friend should be priceless too. She gives a look around, analyzing everyone for a moment, they did such a great job taking down the enemies before but they aren’t hers to take care of. ”I only speak for myself and Durand of course, everyone else is free to do and bargain as they please.”
Code by Neo Alice ©

Eyes widening as he saw the longsword flying towards him, Ale just barely managed to get his neck out of harm's way as the Stirge stuck to his shoulder was cut in half. Blood splattering towards him, Ale closed his eyes as his face was coated in the blood of the Stirge. Grimacing, Ale wiped his eyes of the blood with the palms of his hands before flicking the red substance to the floor. Cringing as he grabbed a table cloth to dab at his face, Ale took a moment to wallow in self-pity.

Looking up to the minotaur, whom he had to take a step back and strain his neck to look in the eye, Ale gave a shrug with one shoulder as he tore the Stirge's stinger from his shoulder. Painful, but he didn't want that thing lodged in there any longer.

"Be my guest...sir?" Ale said with a shrug, tossing the stinger into the pit before presenting his shoulder to the giant.

Taken aback by the offer presented by Volo, Ale said "ten gold pieces now, a hundred when we get back? To fetch a fellow you only suspect is missing?". Scoffing, Ale eyed the man suspiciously. "There must be a catch," Ale said, scrutinizing Volo. "But, fortunately for you, I don't give a damn. When do we start?" Ale asked, taking a seat.

Volo rubbed the back of his neck when she mentioned more magical payment,
"You and I can speak of that type of payment afterward, when we are speaking about why your family came to me in the first place, princess. But I would like to get my friend out of trouble first, if possible."
He glanced over to Ale and just nodded,
"As long as we are all in agreement, I will tell you what I know."

Neo Alice Neo Alice Sherwood Sherwood Togy Togy
Information That Volo Knows
Volo describes Floon as a handsome human male in his early 30's with wavy red-blonde hair.
He was dressed in princely grab when Volo last saw him.
Two nights ago, before Floon disappeared, he and Volo were drinking and merrymaking at the Skewered Dragon, a dark, bawdy tavern in the dock Ward.
Volo recommends that you guys start your search there. If you didn't already have an idea.
You also all get 10 gold pieces. Ella will take the 10 gold, Durand wouldn't take any, due to Cassandra declining the payment.

After his explanation, Volo takes another glance at the entire party,
"If I can be of any more service, please don't hesitate to ask, I wish you luck, friends."
Volo tips his hat and begins to walk away toward the bar, to speak with Durnan.

Ella seemed to be lost in thought after Volo walked away, staring at her empty mug, saying nothing, her head resting on her hand.

Durand looks around at the party, then toward Cassandra, "I suppose there is no reason to wait, yes? Even the storm outside has weakened."​

Cassandra Arkane
tumblr_miclaayl4Z1qhrxsqo1_500.gif

Interactions: Ale ( Togy Togy ), Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood ), Elle, Volo & Durand ( Human Error Human Error )

Mentions: -

Cassandra stood up and put her hands on the table. ”I guess this means we are working together, again.” She said, looking over the pit where moments ago they had fought a troll and stirges for some reason. ”You are all capable people, so I trust you will do a good job.” She looks at the guy who dealt the most damage to the troll, he was still covered in blood. She made a little gesture towards him and whispered a few words, casting Prestidigitation to clean some of the most visible bloodstains from his clothes. ”I believe presentations are in order. I’m Cassandra Arkane, Princess of The High Ice.” It was futile to hide it, since Volo declared her royalty by now. ”This man at my side is my retainer, Durand Achtuo.” She looks at the other three. ”Which one of you is more familiar with the city? We’ll need to check out that tavern and…” The girl moved towards Volo one more time, there was a piece of vital information still missing.

The princess knew she had to be discrete so when she was close enough she kept a low tone. ”Where does your friend live? We might need to check out his house as well. If it turns out he was kidnapped they might have ransacked the place and left a clue, it’s worth checking it out.”

Code by Neo Alice ©

"If introductions are in order, then I shall go next. I am Garath, paladin of Torm, at your service." He offers up a bow to the assembled group. "I look forward to getting to know all of you better."

Neo Alice Neo Alice
Cassandra
Volo turned his head to look at her, "My dear, I couldn't tell you that... Not that I wont tell you, I don't know where he lives."
He shrugged, "He stayed at the tavern after I had left, so I assume he got more drunk than I had that night."

Togy Togy Sherwood Sherwood
Party
Ella snapped back to attention, "Huh? Oh! I'm Ella Shihlor!"
She looked toward Cassandra as she walked away, about to speak before closing her mouth once more.
She looked toward Garath, talking in a hushed voice, "I was just thinking, if the Skewered Dragon is at the Dock Ward, then my assumption is that it is that tavern I had heard about before, the one that is run by the Zhentarim."
(Intelligence (History) Check from all at table.)
Ale: 9
Garath: 17

Ale hasn't heard much about the Zhentarim except for name, and they aren't openly talked about, at least not often.
Garath has probably heard of the Zhentarim from Ella,
The Zhentarim is a shadow organization that trades mercenaries and goods for profit, they are not afraid of doing shady things to get what they want, and what they want, is political power in Waterdeep.

Cassandra Arkane

Interactions: Ale ( Togy Togy ), Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood ), Elle, Volo & Durand ( Human Error Human Error )

The princess’s left eyebrow rises at his response, how come a historian doesn’t know where their dear friend lives? You would think such a basic information would come up eventually at some point, or at least that he has the means to discover it by himself. Is it possible there’s something else beneath this request she hasn’t yet figured out? Well, maybe she was being a bit paranoid but it’s never bad to be cautious. ”I see… well, we’ll be in our way then.” She walks towards the table once again, without sitting this time. ”Pleasantries exchanged? Good, then we can move on gentlemen, and woman, this guy is not going to find himself. Who is leading the way?” Before she left the table she had already made the question, surely by now there was an answer.
Code by Neo Alice ©

Feeling the thick, sticky substance leaving his face and clothes, Ale nodded graciously. Smiling slightly, he felt he was in a much better mood already. "Thank you. Both of you. I appreciate the help" Ale said as he stood up from his chair. "Just call me Ale. I'm familiar with this city, I'd think. I've been here for around 4 months at this point and I haven't been stabbed in a dark alley just yet, so I must be doing something right" Ale said. Walking towards the exit, Ale shrugged on his pack as he opened the door to leave.

"Oh, and Durnan? Do you think that counted as the girl winning back there?" Ale asked, hopeful as he craned his neck to look at the man across the room.

Last edited:
Garath lets out a chuckle. "Why do you care, friend Ale? Did you have some money on the outcome of the fight? Either way, we are burning the candlelight. Let us begin our search."

(Cassandra Rolls Insight: 21.)
You can see right through him, yet you don't sense any malice, you believe him to be genuine in his responses and pleas. He just wants to make sure his friend is okay.

Durnan raised a hand to wave them off, "I'll take it off your tab, Ale!" He pointed at him and smiled, before they stepped out into the winter day.
The sun has made it's way out, making it more comfortable out, walking through the city, it was still rather cold, but nothing the group couldn't handle.

Neo Alice Neo Alice Sherwood Sherwood Togy Togy
Party
As the party makes their way to the dock ward, you take the free time to get to know each other better, and what each other can do (I can share the sidekicks NPC sheets if you want them.).

As the party makes it to the dock ward, you can understand Ellas distain for this part of the city quite well.
Tall, densely packed tenements leave most of the neighborhood in shadow at ground level. Most of the streetlamps have had their glass smashed and their candles stolen, and the smells of salt air and excrement linger as you pass by rows of run-down buildings.
However, one nearby shop stands out from the others. It has a deep purple facade, and in its window hangs a stuffed beholder. Above the door hangs a sign whose elaborate letters spell out "Old Xoblob Shop."
Will you check it out? Or will you pass and make your way to The Skewered Dragon?

Ella would make it a point to note, that you could stop at the shop and ask if they have seen Floon, or that they could keep going, they aren't too far from the tavern now.

Also, Ale doesn't know much about this shop, you tend to stay clear of the Dock Ward.

Garath suggests, "We should check around to see if anyone has seen Floon. At the worst, we are out a few minutes of time, and at best, we may be able to get a lead on his location."

"Don't bother with the Xolbo- I mean, zabl- the purple store. Has to be a tourist trap, no god-given store worth its salt would be that hard to pronounce" Ale said, observing the general area.

Cassandra Arkane

Interactions: Ale ( Togy Togy ), Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood ), Elle & Durand ( Human Error Human Error )

Cassandra was relieved to know the man was sincere so she just followed the rest until they arrived at their current location. She stays quiet for a moment and after hearing her options she replies to the cleric. ”Are you that naïve? If it is a tourist trap wouldn’t the name be more simple and easy to remember in the first place? Besides…” She looks around, specifically at all the vandalism. ”Why do you think this place isn’t targeted like the rest? They are either paying for protection, which gives us a advantage to bargain information or they are the ones terrorizing the neighborhood, which would grant us some prestige if we defeat them.” Top strategizing from the princess, years of royal training coming afloat. ”We shall take the time to check this place first, then we’ll go to the tavern.”

It wasn’t a question, because she wasn’t providing a conversation or a room for rebutal. ”And of course, we are to stay together at all times, we have enough kidnapped people already.” She starts walking towards the purple shop but of course the door was to be open by Durand, not herself.

Code by Neo Alice ©

"Cynical. The word you were looking for was cynical. Big difference from naivety" Ale muttered, following after the princess. He was just going with the flow at this point, having no real intention of going off on his own or taking lead for the little quest. "One gets conned daily, the other's smart enough not to give something the benefit of the doubt," Ale said to no one as he peered around the shop.

Durand followed behind Cassandra, rushing forward to open the door for her, "I will stay out here, milady, and keep lookout."
Ella spoke up to add to that , "And I will keep him company! Looks like a smaller shop anyway, no need to crowd it!" She gave a smile before turning to look out toward the docks.

In The Shop
A cloud of lavender-scented purple smoke trails out of the shop's door as you peer inside. Every wall is painted purple, and every dusty knickknack on the shelves is dyed a deep violet. The hairless old gnome sitting cross-legged on the counter wears plum-colored robes. His cheeks are decorated with nine purple face-painted eyes.
The gnome lowers a pipe and exhales a cloud of lavender smoke before raising a hand.

"Hail and well met! Come browse the shelves of the most curious curiosity shop in the world!"

(History Check: Ale: 7, Cassandra: 8, Garath: 18)

The tattoos on the mans head resembles that of the human man who picked a fight with the half-orc at the bar.
Garath knows about what the markings are,
They are the tattoos of somebody who is loyal to the Xanathars guild.
It would be up to him to convey that information if he wishes.

(History Check: Garath: 6)

Although, you don't know too much about the Xanathars guild, mayhaps Ella or Volo would know?

"It's a tourist trap" Ale blurted out immediately, absolute assurance in his tone.

Cassandra Arkane
tumblr_m6o0o2wsmg1rsxn5po1_500.gif

Interactions: Ale ( Togy Togy ), Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood ), Elle, Gnome & Durand ( Human Error Human Error )

The princess nods at Durand and the human girl, at least they’ll keep an eye on each other. Whether they’ll be able to protect them or not it’s yet to be seen, entering the shop the main shocking aspect is the color. It’s funny how peasants that have acquired a bit of wealth think they have the right to wear the color of royalty and furthermore tarnish it by using it for everything around them. ”Purple is for royalty, dear, not middle management.” She thought as she walked around the place and smiled softly. There were quite a few strange things in the shelves worth looking indeed. Especially the gnome that owns the place, the tattoos in his head resemble the ones in the human that attacked the Half-Orc earlier in the Yawning Portal, maybe it would become an important fact eventually. ”As I said before, you are naïve, Ale, even if you wish to think otherwise.” She whispered softly at the cleric before focusing in the attendant. ”Thank you my good man! We will.” She spoke in a more eloquent and polite tone to the gnome.

She then moved around the store, probably the man would be more inclined to help them if she bought something. Cassandra wasn’t really going to buy something in specific until she saw it, a gorgeous dragon shaped diamond that was labeled as a “lump of coal”. She grabbed it with her left hand, inspecting it further; it was clearly a diamond not coal. It was a curious thing, well if the object was advertised as a lump of coal maybe it would be cheaper. However, it wasn’t enough to her, probably the man would not think much of it and the whole purpose of the buy would be wasted.

She kept the diamond, she would still buy it but she needed something else to buy as well. Then a single divination card peeked her interest, it was titled ‘The Empress’ and it depicted a white haired girl with red eyes in it with features that resemble her own. Furthermore it had her family Coat of Arms in it, a white dragon surrounded by pearls, silver and gold in a black background. Curious thing to find here, she grabbed the card as well and continued her walk. One last thing made her heart skip a beat, a vial filled with a crimson red liquid. She could feel it in her bones, it was dragon blood, specifically which type she couldn’t say but it was from a dragon.

She took the vial and the rest of her pickings and stood at the counter, in order to speak to the gnome. ”How much for all of these?” If needed she would persuade the gnome to give her a huge discount, she wasn’t new to the art of bargaining for goods.
Code by Neo Alice ©

a27d27a27b809ef92f814f2276606a2e.png

Garath is less interested in the wares of the shopkeeper than he is keeping aware of the surroundings to make sure that they are all safe. He is also quite content to allow Cassandra to do the talking, expecting that this noblewoman would have a better chance to get information on this Floon than he would.

Neo Alice Neo Alice
Cassandra
The gnomes gazed followed the princess as she moved around the shop, his eyebrow raised at the sight of her grabbing the lump of coal (And yes, to everyone else, that dragon diamond she picked up, does look like a lump of coal)
The gnomes stood up on the counter as Cassandra approached him, taking some time to look at what she wanted to buy,
"Ah! All good choices, my dear! It would be 10 dragons (gold) for the whole of it!"

(Cassandra makes a persuasion check to lower price: 8)

Last edited:
Cassandra Arkane
6HBwy.gif

Interactions: Ale ( Togy Togy ), Garath ( Sherwood Sherwood ), Gnome ( Human Error Human Error )

After hearing the price, the princess nods and searches for the coins inside of one of her pockets. She grabs ten coins, without worrying to check if they are gold or not since she only carries gold pieces, and puts them gently in the counter. ”There you go, 10 dragons, thank you very much.” She gives him a little wink with her left eye and store the trinkets in her pockets, luckily the vial had a safe lid that only opened if intended so no spilling would be happening soon.

Cassandra looks around to the other guys. ”Are you guys getting something or should we go?” Since they had a little money to spare it would make sense, then again probably they were anxious to get the rest of the payment from their employer. With that in mind she turns to the gnome once again and smiles at him. ”That remains me of something, did you perhaps saw young and attractive fellow wander around here?” She extends her left hand and makes intricate movements with it on top of the desk as if drawing. ”Pikto: Floon Blagmaar.” After finishing the incantation, she gives a little tap with her index finger at the center of the imaginary drawing and the image comes to life, the details explained by Volo such as age, clothing and hair color would be present but other unknown details were left blank. Still it was better than just describing someone, this way the gnome could actually remember more accurately if he saw someone with these characteristics around the shop.

Hopefully the gnome would be easy enough to read, she expected to avoid any violent measures but… she does have a giant Minotaur at her disposal right now, when is she getting another chance to use it? Well, she will worry about torture and interrogations tactics later, if the gnome lies.

Code by Neo Alice ©

Neo Alice Neo Alice
Cassandra
(Rolls a 22 for persuasion)
The gnome greedily took your coin before waving you off, only for you to return to speak with him.
He thought for a moment as he stared at the image of Floon that she created,
"Hrm, I do remember seeing him before, he was with another man that looked quite like him! And wore the same clothing too!"
The gnome reached behind thecounther and pulled out a bag and dropped his newly found coins in it, setting it back down,
"The two of them were jumped outside my shop by some rough-looking men in black. I think there were 4... No, 5 attackers! I've never seen any of them, but I did see a black tattoo of a winged snake on one of their necks.

Sherwood Sherwood Togy Togy
(History Check from all who can hear:
Cassandra: 10
Ale: 6
Garath: 3
)
Sadly, None of you recognize the description of the symbol.

Garath shakes his head in sadness. "It is a shame that such atrocities can be committed in a city such as this one. I know little of this region; is there anything you can tell us about the symbol you saw tattooed on the attackers? Is it anything you have seen before, or heard about?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back