• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A slice of Life Dungeon crawl...

ZeiruliousMakavar

The Archon of Madness
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So, as the name of the thread, once again I have a bit of an unorthodox idea for an RP. This one is a little more concrete than the previous one, but will still be a fair bit of an open-ended Slice of Life RP.

So, a bit of background, first, this will be a full high-fantasy RP-world, so any fantasy race will be allowed in the rp, no matter the source. (Want to use your level 40 Tiefling thief? Go right ahead. Want to play as an enigmatic Tenko-Kitsune? Go right ahead.) While I say this, in the interest of fairness, I will not actually be allowing any race that lore-wise in their source material, are at or near Mary Sue levels of overpowered.

Secondly, dungeons are slightly different in this RP than the normal RPG/Fantasy dungeons you see. How so? There is no enigmatic "Demon Lord" race that rules over a dungeon. There is no "Demon King" lauding over all dungeons and using them as basses to take over the world. Anyone may become a Dungeon Master. Simply put, in this world, there are two vast organizations that run both ends of Dungeoneering. The classic Adventurers Guild, and the Dungeon Master's Association.

The Adventurer's Guild functions as you would expect. It is a hub for people to gather around and take quests for random things, and to drop off any loot found in any Dungeon set up near that guild. The Dungeon Master's Association, however, is rather special. Anyone may join, even Adventurers, but when you join, you're sent to other pre-existing dungeons as a paid intern. (For reasons that are explained in a bit, you're paid by the Association, not the Dungeon Master.) In order to go from a simple Intern to a Dungeon Master, you must find, or create, a Dungeon Stone, a mystical artifact that acts as the Heart of the Dungeon Zone. Stealing a stone, or trying to take over the dungeon you intern at are both considered Illegal acts by most countries of the world.

Dungeon Zones, or where a Dungeon exists, are special Pocket Dimensions controlled completely by the Dungeon Master in charge of maintaining the Dungeon Stone. These Zones can be just about anything. From your simple stereotypical RPG Dungeon to massive Onsen/Tavern complexes, Anything and everything is possible inside a Dungeon Zone. To do this, the Dungeon Master must collect a special resource through the dungeon. Mana is seen differently in this world. Mana is an etherial energy still, but it is mostly used by Dungeons. Simply by entering a dungeon a person "Pays" a portion of their Mana to the Dungeon Stone. This, in turn, is used by the Dungeon Master to maintain the dungeon, by either expanding or upgrading rooms/facilities, or most importantly, paying anyone directly employed by the dungeon.

For many of the magical/ethereal races, Mana is a food source. That is to say, they become attracted to dungeons due to the collection and concentration of Mana because of the Dungeon Stones. While many of them, such as Kitsune and Cubis, that posses physical bodies can sustain themselves on more physical things, and can therefore also become Adventurers, Mana still is more efficient sustenance for them. The Dungeon Master themselves, due to the influences of the Dungeon Stones, no longer need sustenance at all, as their existence becomes tied to the existence of their dungeons. Because of these factors, certain agreements took place between the Dungeon Master's Association and the Adventurers Guild. The most important of which is that no Mystical "Dungeon Race" that can be considered sentient, once again, such as Kitsune and Cubis, will be attacked by Adventurers outside a Dungeon. So long as they work for a Dungeon that follows the Regulations and works legally. (Not registering a dungeon with the Dungeon Master's Association and attempting a hostile take over and using your dungeon as a military base would be acts considered against regulations and working illegally respectively.)

Lastly, "killing" inside a dungeon, functions differently than "killing" normally. (Ie, outside the dungeon) When a "Monster" (Someone employed by the dungeon) is killed they revive at the Dungeon Stone after some time. (More time passes based on the Ranking of said monster. It takes vastly more time to revive a Sentient Monster than it does a "Beast" monster.) If an Adventurer dies, weather by a trap of getting killed, they are revived outside the Dungeon Zone after 30 minutes regardless of how skilled they are.

On recruiting "Monsters" like I said, "Monsters" are paid via Mana by way of the Dungeon Stone. (Sentient Monsters can manifest this Mana as a physical currency outside of Dungeons.) However, the more powerful and higher-ranked Monsters would require more Mana as payment. That is to say, a simple slime or Skeleton would require less Mana to maintain than a High ranking Succubus, or a Tenko. The more popular a dungeon is, the more likely it will attract higher-ranked Monsters. Both Succubi and Tenko, are special cases, however. Respectively, Succubi and Tenko's are considered "Messengers of the Devils" and "Messengers of the Gods." While it is unknown if Devils or Gods exist, Both Succubi and Tenkos are highly sought after by Dungeon Masters and are considered by most as the final Test of becoming a true Dungeon Master. (The first of which is participating in the "Dungeon Games" a year after you open your first dungeon.)

The Dungeon Games, are an annual competition run by the Dungeon Master's Association as a friendly competition to see where the best Dungeons are. Simply put, from the months of March to November, Dungeon Masters who have had at least one Dungeon open for a year or more, can hirer Adventurer parties to "Raid" other Dungeons. Each successful Dungeon Raid counts as a point. The Dungeon with the highest number of points wins that years competition. (You can not lose points by getting Raided. Only earn points by Raiding.) Dungeons older than 300 years can not participate in the Dungeon Games, so you must have a Dungeon at least 1-year-old, and at most 299 years old.

To start off, I'm looking for people that will play around five characters beach on both sides. That is, 10 characters in total (Not Ten players mind you.) So five adventurers and five Dungeon Masters/Monsters. (While normally I will limit people from having only 2 characters at once, to avoid the inevitable spam of Dungeon Masters, if you create a Dungeon Master character, I will require you to also create a Sentient Monster which will not be counted as your second character, should you choose to make an Adventurer as well. This requirement/clause is only active if you have a Dungeon Master character AND an Adventurer character. If you don't hae both, than you can't make more than two characters, at the start of the RP.)

Would anyone be interested in an RP in such a setting? (Feel free to ask about anything I may have missed.)

Interested!!! Seems like a novel and unique take on the dnd trope

Of course! While the RP isn't exactly going to be a Dice Game, there definitely will be elements of DnD in the game. (I may even say DnD/Pathfinder-styled Dice battles will happen if things reach a point where battles could happen.)

In any case I’d be happy to join along. I’m interested to see where you will take this concept! I hope it garners a lot of attention!!!

So, like Dungeon Meshi, of sorts? Although the "creating a dungeon" isn't on the manga...

Questions:
-What about "evil" in the world? Is there any? I know that it's a Slice of Life, but what's the end goal of the adventurers/dungeon masters?
-How does each part accrue wealth?
-What's the relationship between the Dungeon Masters and the Adventurers? Do they antagonize each other? What do the Dungeon Master's Association gain from providing a platform to these Masters?
-How do you create/find a Dungeon Stone?
-How do you create a Dungeon? Do you use the stone anywhere and create it, or you find a structure to base it upon? Is it a demiplane or it's located on the Material Plane?

I'll ask more if I have more, but I'm extremely interested in playing both sides!

So, like Dungeon Meshi, of sorts? Although the "creating a dungeon" isn't on the manga...

Questions:
-What about "evil" in the world? Is there any? I know that it's a Slice of Life, but what's the end goal of the adventurers/dungeon masters?
-How does each part accrue wealth?
-What's the relationship between the Dungeon Masters and the Adventurers? Do they antagonize each other? What do the Dungeon Master's Association gain from providing a platform to these Masters?
-How do you create/find a Dungeon Stone?
-How do you create a Dungeon? Do you use the stone anywhere and create it, or you find a structure to base it upon? Is it a demiplane or it's located on the Material Plane?

I'll ask more if I have more, but I'm extremely interested in playing both sides!

1. Technically, there is no evil. Since it works knowing this beforehand, as most Dungeon Masters, and even some Adventurers would know it anyway, but the last "Real" Dungeon Master ala "Demon King" style, is the head of the Dungeon Master's Association. A long enough time ago, long enough that it's even been a few generations for the long-lived Elves of the world, was his last and final attempt at the stereotypical "I will take over the world." campaign. Instead of retreating to the world of Devils/Demons, he formed a mutually beneficial agreement with Adventurers, due to the discovery of the Dungeon Stones.

There isn't exactly an end goal for either side because of this. Since there is no real threat, beyond Adventurers or Dungeon Masters that work outside their respective purviews, most people have started seeing being either as "Get rich quick" professions. Adventuring, because going in dungeons is no longer life-threatening, and Dungeon Masters, because as explained, people who work directly at a dungeon, both the Masters and sentient "Monsters" can manifest the mana they personally collected as a physical currency outside the dungeon, for whatever country they reside in. However, since it's actually harder to earn money than many thinks, most either drop out or turn to illegal means.

2. As already explained, Dungeon Masters earn wealth simply by having a dungeon. The more people who visit, the more mana you can collect. Adventurers earn wealth by taking jobs or by entering a dungeon. If the can go through a dungeon, collect artifacts, and escape, they keep said artifacts and can sell them.

3. Outside of dungeons, there is a mutual understanding of "I don't know you." between Dungeon Masters (And any Sentient Monsters that work for them) and Adventurers. Inside Dungeons, are another thing. It depends on the nature of the Dungeon, as each dungeon is subject to the whims of the Master like said before, they can be anything from something you'd raid, to something you'd relax in.

The Association is more like a collection of people who gather, to make sure none of the others are doing anything fishy. Hence, why each Dungeon master with a Dungeon older than one year, is required to visit the local Dungeon Master's Association office for his area for monthly meetings. Those only with dungeons under 1-year-old, are exempt from this, and those only with dungeons under 5, can miss at most 5 meetings a year. (Each office is also a dungeon, which is how the Association maintains itself.)

4. Dungeon stones can be found anywhere there is a natural high-concentration of Mana, so deep inside ancient forests, or in long-abandoned dungeons.
EDIT: Oh, since I initially forgot this part, just like expanding a Dungeon, if you gather enough mana, you can will a dungeon stone into existence at any pre-existing Dungeon Stones.

5. You will the entrance into existance. Outside, it can look like anything, but must clearly be a dungeon entrance, so nothing like "A cardboard box." You WANT people to visit. And yes, like I said, inside, they are pocket dimensions. Think the TARDIS from Doctor Who.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back