• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic A Purpose Under Heaven - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Hey boss person, is the duo i made in or are we waiting for the approval votes.
welian welian

Also is anyone else starting in europe?
@whoever

TheForce TheForce Europe is not where I imagine BOOP was manufactured, but anything is possible. =)

Okay, a cheerful thought strayed across my mind involving BOOP - I've changed its drones from looking like cool-but-standard sci-fi style drones to being little red "Mini-me" BOOPs in Guardian mode! Plus, I added in a little "fail-safe" concerning these drones for AI BOOP that might come in handy someday. All only available with Weli's approval, of course. =)

TheForce TheForce Question about Walter & Gregory (great names!)? If they already have their own faction and are in command of it, then... either the rest of us join said faction or... we don't have a chance of all starting out in the same faction (if that's what folks want to do). Is this your intention or is the Queen's Guard a "sub-faction" of some kind?

Okay, a cheerful thought strayed across my mind involving BOOP - I've changed its drones from looking like cool-but-standard sci-fi style drones to being little red "Mini-me" BOOPs in Guardian mode! Plus, I added in a little "fail-safe" concerning these drones for AI BOOP that might come in handy someday. All only available with Weli's approval, of course. =)

TheForce TheForce Question about Walter & Gregory (great names!)? If they already have their own faction and are in command of it, then... either the rest of us join said faction or... we don't have a chance of all starting out in the same faction (if that's what folks want to do). Is this your intention or is the Queen's Guard a "sub-faction" of some kind?
The queens guard…are basically groupies. i wouldn’t exactly call them a faction more like they were lucky chaps that found a map to a robot. The leaders were douchbags who wanted to basically subjugate the world and they were vaporized via giant sword. The rest look at the Duo as if they were gods and basically just follow them around.

Ah, that explains much! Thanks for taking the time! =)

Hey, I have a bunch of online assignments to knock out before class on Monday, so I won't be super active today. That being said, if I hypothetically approved all characters, what would you need in order to start posting?

welian welian Preferably? Who, What, When, and Where.

Who - Are all of our characters together? That would be simpler. Any NPCs around?

What - What, if anything, is going on around us when we come in to play? Is there an event? Are things quiet or exciting?

When - In the dark of night or bright and early sunshine or something in between?

Where - What is the setting around us? Are we on a listing aircraft carrier that ran aground? A desolate prairie with a nearby gas station? A festival with Brother Todd at the head of it? Why do I remember something about a battlefield?

Why and How I think our purely optional. But basically, especially the start of a fun game,what's best is an atmosphere with a situation.

I think you mentioned something about wanting us to be like D&D players in a tavern chatting together? Did human beings reactivate us or was it that solar flare you mentioned?

I'm not saying you need to write all this out; just just what you want us to know. Just as long as you, the GM, has a solid grasp of what's going on.

Have fun with it without making it too brief or too long. But that's just my take. =)

Good luck with your online assignments today, Weli! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Last edited:
I'm gonna begin writing my character now, but since I'm new to this site, how exactly do I copy the formatting code and where do I post it to seek approval before putting it in the character thread?

Okay, okay, one more day - I have the second half of my accounting exam today, and then marketing and microeconomics exams tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon, I should be free to continue working on this thread, and then we will finally - FINALLY be able to get started.

Senhara Senhara M Mr Phoebius Since you both asked about BBCode, here it is:

[bg=transparent; max-width: 550px; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; color: currentcolor;][h]Character Name[/h]
[tabs][tab=Overview]A short (50 to 100 words) description of your character.[/tab]

[tab=Details]Full name: Character's full name or model

Appearance: A written description of your character's appearance. Pictures are optional.

Age: Your character's age (since manufacture date or birth) in years

Size: For robots only.

Faction: See Lore thread for supplementary information.[/tab]

[tab=Abilities]Up to four weapons or abilities your character possesses.

Ability 1: A sentence or two describing this skill or ability.

Ability 2: A sentence or two describing this skill or ability.

Ability 3: A sentence or two describing this skill or ability.

Ability 4: A sentence or two describing this skill or ability.[/tab]

[tab=Biography]Personality: A short to medium description of your character's personality. If nothing else, two positive and two negative traits and examples of those traits in action.

Background: Describe your character's backstory. It can be as short as the overview, but any more than 500 words and I will personally go to your house and unplug your keyboard.[/tab][/tabs][/bg]

If the BBCode gives you any trouble, just skip it and post and unformatted sheet, it's not the end of the world.

Purr Purr
  • Who: I would like ALL or as AS MANY player characters to be in the same general area at the beginning of the RP. One possible explanation that I am considering (to account for our British bot, especially) is that many of the player characters were in battle together and therefore all were conveniently within a few miles of each other when the Great Sleep happened. Or, you were all effectively dumped into a mass grave junkyard.
  • What/When/Where: It will (ostensibly) be a quiet spring morning, interrupted by the clanging of a plow on your back - I do know how some of you enjoy getting plowed. Some of you may be waking up under slightly different circumstances, but in theory you should all be within about two hours of what USED to be Detroit, and waking up - if not all at the same time - within a few days of each other.
  • Why: Because there would be no story if we did not accept that somehow there is a world where giant robots were thrown offline, and then reactivated a thousand years later, to struggle to determine their purpose and the ending of their war.
  • How: Well, you see, the core of the Earth is a large molten blob of iron that spin. This creates an electromagnetic field around our planet, which combined with the stratified layers of our atmosphere, creates a protective layer that - BECAUSE SUN SPOT WENT FWOOSH AND ALL THE GARAGE OPENERS RESET, AND THEN KYLE RAIDED AREA 51 FOR ALIEN WAIFUS.
  • Alien waifus: status unknown.

So much to read in this thread. Makes me miss Discord all over again.

I'm going to restate my impression of what this RP is and what it's going to be like, and hope Welian can correct my impression if I've gotten it wrong. :)

A thousand years ago, a variety of sentient robots were doing a variety of things in a war tipping ever closer to disaster. Some robots were built for military purposes and so other countries built their own military robots. Some of those military robots (and maybe other non-military robots) went rogue and those had to be fought with giant robots too. Eventually, someone hit the nuclear button and those who could fled to the stars while those humans left behind had to pick up the pieces. All that nuclear activity (or maybe someone just kicked off a bunch of anti-robot EMPs) knocked out a bunch of robots including those played by us.

A thousand years later, a freak solar flare or electrical storm or something creates the right conditions to jumpstart a bunch of robots. For the sake of proximity RP, we're playing robots who woke up near Detroit I think and so presumably had reason to be in the general area before the EMP went off.

There's no modern faction resembling any 'faction' our robots could have arguably belonged to. There's no United States anymore, so any American military robots no longer have an effective chain of command. Is your robot a giant construction shovel or a human-sized miner/scavenger/medical unit? Are you playing a domestic cleaning robot like a Roomba or (and I'm astonished no one's thought of this yet) a near-human seeming 'personal companion'? None of the corporations that manufactured any of our robots survived, nor did our original owners/drivers/whoever.

Our robots are waking up in an unrecognizable world and trying to figure out what to do about it. The factions of humans around us are, at least initially, unknown to us. Maybe that gives us all a reason to work together, because at least our robots all have a similar shared history given where they came from.

Despite playing a transformable military fighter craft, I'm not expecting combat to be this game's default. If and when it breaks out, our individual robots may vastly overpower human opposition but the infrastructure that produced us is gone so damage taken and wear-and-tear will increasingly be incrementally field-repaired jury-rigged patch jobs done by those robots with the knowledge, but lacking the hugely consumable-driven high-manufacturing society we were never meant to be apart from. My robot has an incredibly awesome cannon that is going to be a somewhat-less-awesome club once she runs out of ammo, because I have no confidence in finding more (maybe getting someone to make more for her but that'll be down the road, will require RP, making connections, teaching skills and helping them build tools to build tools to build her ammo).

Mood and vibe wise, I'm feeling a mix of anime mecha, The Last of Us (but with less zombies), the Fallout games (but with way less surviving technology) with a dose of Studio Ghibli thrown into the mix (reflecting the wonder humans will have of us, and we will have of them).

If this is actually going to be all anime mecha robot combat all the time, I can probably roll with that but that's not at all what I picked up in the interest check.

Which is a long winded way of me saying "Everyone should make a robot and a backstory that works for them and it doesn't have to necessarily agree with anyone else's, because we're all strangers in a strange land here". If you want to plan anything with anyone else, plan on making a robot that's going to value and want to be around other thousand year old robots and you should be good, no matter the purpose you were made for.

So much to read in this thread. Makes me miss Discord all over again.

I'm going to restate my impression of what this RP is and what it's going to be like, and hope Welian can correct my impression if I've gotten it wrong. :)

A thousand years ago, a variety of sentient robots were doing a variety of things in a war tipping ever closer to disaster. Some robots were built for military purposes and so other countries built their own military robots. Some of those military robots (and maybe other non-military robots) went rogue and those had to be fought with giant robots too. Eventually, someone hit the nuclear button and those who could fled to the stars while those humans left behind had to pick up the pieces. All that nuclear activity (or maybe someone just kicked off a bunch of anti-robot EMPs) knocked out a bunch of robots including those played by us.

A thousand years later, a freak solar flare or electrical storm or something creates the right conditions to jumpstart a bunch of robots. For the sake of proximity RP, we're playing robots who woke up near Detroit I think and so presumably had reason to be in the general area before the EMP went off.

There's no modern faction resembling any 'faction' our robots could have arguably belonged to. There's no United States anymore, so any American military robots no longer have an effective chain of command. Is your robot a giant construction shovel or a human-sized miner/scavenger/medical unit? Are you playing a domestic cleaning robot like a Roomba or (and I'm astonished no one's thought of this yet) a near-human seeming 'personal companion'? None of the corporations that manufactured any of our robots survived, nor did our original owners/drivers/whoever.

Our robots are waking up in an unrecognizable world and trying to figure out what to do about it. The factions of humans around us are, at least initially, unknown to us. Maybe that gives us all a reason to work together, because at least our robots all have a similar shared history given where they came from.

Despite playing a transformable military fighter craft, I'm not expecting combat to be this game's default. If and when it breaks out, our individual robots may vastly overpower human opposition but the infrastructure that produced us is gone so damage taken and wear-and-tear will increasingly be incrementally field-repaired jury-rigged patch jobs done by those robots with the knowledge, but lacking the hugely consumable-driven high-manufacturing society we were never meant to be apart from. My robot has an incredibly awesome cannon that is going to be a somewhat-less-awesome club once she runs out of ammo, because I have no confidence in finding more (maybe getting someone to make more for her but that'll be down the road, will require RP, making connections, teaching skills and helping them build tools to build tools to build her ammo).

Mood and vibe wise, I'm feeling a mix of anime mecha, The Last of Us (but with less zombies), the Fallout games (but with way less surviving technology) with a dose of Studio Ghibli thrown into the mix (reflecting the wonder humans will have of us, and we will have of them).

If this is actually going to be all anime mecha robot combat all the time, I can probably roll with that but that's not at all what I picked up in the interest check.

Which is a long winded way of me saying "Everyone should make a robot and a backstory that works for them and it doesn't have to necessarily agree with anyone else's, because we're all strangers in a strange land here". If you want to plan anything with anyone else, plan on making a robot that's going to value and want to be around other thousand year old robots and you should be good, no matter the purpose you were made for.
That reminds me that i need to have Walter and Gregory find a way across the pond. Perhaps they had their faction weld together a buncha boat parts…perhaps Walters metal grinding turbines can let him swim decently-ish. Or alternatively i could have them wander through the arctic and down through Canada.

That reminds me that i need to have Walter and Gregory find a way across the pond. Perhaps they had their faction weld together a buncha boat parts…perhaps Walters metal grinding turbines can let him swim decently-ish. Or alternatively i could have them wander through the arctic and down through Canada.
TheForce TheForce How about 1,000 years ago, your robots had strong reason to come to Detroit and we were all EMPed together?

Perhaps all of our mecha were on the same side, a side that is now looong gone?

Epiphany Epiphany Very constructive post there! I'm with you! =)

Quickly, between assignments -

One, Epi is picking up what I am laying down. Good girl.

Two, England and the USA have been allies for a very long time, I would not be surprised with Walter and Greg were deployed in the USA to fight alongside allies at the Giga Naptime.

Three, it's much easier for me as a GM to keep track of all questions from players when conversation is on the same platform as the RP itself.

Four, what the FUCK is the double-declining depreciation accounting method and am I suppose to credit accumulation and debit expense or vice versa, someone come save me.

Half Life is more fun. See attached video. =)

"Half Life Fun!"

Damafaud Damafaud
Age: About 1,000 years, but James isn't sure exactly how old. When do you start counting years?
1. Who is James?

2. Did you want to add Michael to the Character name?

Highly amusing! Well done! =)

Last edited:
1. Who is James?

2. Did you want to add Michael to the Character name?

Highly amusing! Well done! =)
I MEANT MICHAEL

His name was James Smith but it wasn't as fun to say as Michael so I decide on Michael

Also thank you, I completely intend it that way xD

God, just imagine how pretentious a Rolls-Royce robot would be.
Rolls-Royce Robot - "We will get along just fine - as long as you keep in mind that I'm better than you."

Damafaud Damafaud It just so happens that BOOP is dusty and weathered and yes - could use a new paint job after 1,000 years of inactivity! Perhaps BOOP and Michael (like Michelangelo) can work out a deal? =)

Last edited:
Epiphany Epiphany Heya Pips! Just wanted to tell you that, once again, I'm totally with you in your line of thinking. If this is going to be a long-term game, then I really think it should be about our Characters, not just any one of us but those of us who want to stay and work as a group.

Take the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example. What good are they alone? To be fair, pretty good. But together? Cowabunga-awesome, baby!

But in my experience, that all starts from having strong foundations. And that means strong Characters. So far, I think we've got a few. =)

Second test down, y'all. I've got my microeconomics test on long-run supply curves and equilibrium in 3 hours, and then I'm done, and we can ACTUALLY roleplay.

Zahzi Zahzi Bravo with TOR-X's Character sheet! Sold! *throws cash and credit cards at the screen* I want to be the first kid on my block to own one of these babies! Get yours today! Woo! =)

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back