Experiences A Personal Frustation for Romance in 1x1 Roleplay

Ranix Aurus

Languishing in Progress
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello, this is somewhat a rambling and a desperation.

I mainly lurked around the 1x1 scene because it's easier to formulate a plot when it's just two players. Even if the plot changed overtime due to each players introducing new ideas, it's still manageable rather than having 10 person adding details to the roleplay with their differing style and ideas. So for that reason, I also tend to lurk around the interest check.

Frankly, the kind of interest check that I rarely take interest is something akin to

Character A is a something something, Character B is a something something, in a situation. Will A/B fall in love with the other or will the romance fail due to event?​

...Honestly, what's with that plot? Is there even a plot at all? In my opinion, there is no significance at all whether A fell in love or not fell in love with B, or the other way around. It's not like after they fell in love, the world is ending or something. It's just an emotional state, rarely ever an important part in life. The world still need saving from the big bad, the conflicts still need to be solved, in my opinion these kind of thing should be the driving force of a plot, instead of "will they, won't they" pull-and-lure of a soap opera.

I'm not really good in explaining this, so I apologize if it's confusing and/or improper. It's just a personal rant of mine.

If anything I'd like to know if there's a valid point in having this kind of plot as the driving force behind the RP? Perhaps I'm being unfair here since I'm honestly not familiar with romance in general. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Of course there is a plot. The plot is that the ultimate goal, of the story, is to find the development of the relationship between the characters and their work around of the specific event. It´s more a slice-of-life styled plot, but it is in fact, a plot. Is it a good plot? That depends on the specifics that you blanked.

Personally, a good romance to me is a complementary of the overall scheme, there to both enhance and be enhanced by whatever is the main plot. However, if the romance IS the main plot, then it should be interacting with the setting and even more deeply with the characters than otherwise. Pacing is an extremely important matter, as romance is only as strong as it feels organic.

My short answer - Have you ever read a romance novel?

My long answer - basically it's a romance novel. Like literally that is essentially the plot to virtually every romance novel ever written. Some are better written than others of course but they all have exactly that plot.

Now the reason as to why people roleplay romance? I can only hazard a guess based on what I have observed as personally I find romance in roleplays boring myself.

Reason A - people like romance novels/romance stories. It is a powerhouse of a genre in books, tv, movies, etc for a reason. People just flat out enjoy this kind of story and want to see it rehashed in as many mediums as possible.

Reason B - ( and this is more specific to roleplay in particular ) Escapism and Wish-Fullfillment. The person seeking this kind of roleplay wants to live out a fantays of theirs involving ( usually ) them either being the object of adoration but their ideal person OR them pursuing their ideal person in an idealized situation without fear of rejection.

Reason C - ( the ugly side ) The Other Meaning of Roleplay. This is not like a universal thing but it is something to watch out for in this kind of genre. Where people mistake roleplay as less of collaborative story-telling and more of some kind of excuse to live out their fetishes/fantasies online. These people are super easy to spot thank god. Basically if they don't acknowledge there are characters involved and treat it like it's you as a person fulfilling their needs than I'd hit the back button fast. ( unless your into that kind of stuff, no judgment )

I'm someone who likes to incorporate multiple genres and elements in my stories. That being said while I like to add romance to my roleplays, I don't like it to be the main focus of the story. I find with examples like the one the OP included can become very stale quickly. But, I suppose it comes down to personal preference.

Actually on a re-read Ranix Aurus Ranix Aurus you answered your own question. These Roleplays are intentionally designed to essentially be the written version of soap operas. So basically if you like soap operas you'll like these kind of Roleplays. If you don't like soap operas you'll probably not like them.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy ah...I see.

Yeah...I guess that's it haha. I hate soap opera. Not to say that all soap opera is bad, no, I know some quality things are always out there. I just so fed up with the cheap-quality stuff they shoved on me in my country's television programs (we had batman and gundam in one same episode. In a soap opera with medieval kingdom setting. A freaking gundam)

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy ah...I see.

Yeah...I guess that's it haha. I hate soap opera. Not to say that all soap opera is bad, no, I know some quality things are always out there. I just so fed up with the cheap-quality stuff they shoved on me in my country's television programs (we had batman and gundam in one same episode. In a soap opera with medieval kingdom setting. A freaking gundam)

lol I don't mind them in general - I pretty much read harlequin romance novels three a day for years. Which is why I recognize the genre so easily and why it doesn't bother me.

I just find it boring to roleplay because it tends to focus solely on one persons narrative. Like the story almost always involves around what specific person wants ( not like in a bad way just wish fulfillment is kinda personal ya know ) and that bores me.

Not saying the genre is bad just that I never got anything out of it.

Benefit not EVERYONE wants romance in 1x1 even though it feels like it sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back