• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A new start(Ebony Rose)

Gr1mmReaper2020

Soul Reaper
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
From the diary of Melody Helen Jones:

He found me last week.. That brute that... I have to uproot my life AGAIN to get away from him... My aunt Jannette offered me to live with her in America and I accepted but only because I can't uproot my parents lives over a problem that has nothing to do with them. They want to understand why I have to go but they don't know the full story and I don't want them to. The things that monster did to me and threatened to do them, especially my sister Allie, if anyone found out has me as worried as it does pissed off. I have to protect them even if they don't fully understand WHY things are as bad as they are. I can only hope that he doesn't find me again...

Goodbye Canada, hello America here I come....

Melody sighed as she pulled on her hoody and hat while glancing at the clock. With her recent move and failed attempts at making friends she wasn't really thrilled with the prospects ahead of her. Escaping a controlling ex, not even an ex she wanted to have with her suppressing her desires for other women so not to earn the ire of her religious conservative family, was somewhat worth it but the people in here in America were so different from back home in Canada. They were far ruder and short tempered than the people back home. That went without saying the American's around her were more or less slightly more accepting of people with same sex desires while still persecuting them for the same religious conservative reason with far more zeal. "Auntie, I'm off!" she called out grabbing her skateboard. She half heard the response of 'Be careful!' as the door slammed shut.

Throwing her board down she took a few running steps before leaning her weight onto the deck. The disapproving looks aimed her where shrugged off mentally. It wasn't like she was the only girl that skateboarded in the city of New York. Back home was a different story, there were far fewer, but that was neither here nor there. Arriving at the entrance to her new college campus she rolled to a stop before stepping off the board and slamming her foot on the back of the skate deck bringing it into her hand. "Well, here goes nothing Mel... Hopefully it goes better here than your attempts the last few weeks" she said to herself.

After finding her way to the registrar's office with the help of a kind young woman and getting her schedule and papers she was off to try finding her first period class: English 101.

(Appearance is accurate save she doesn't have the skull wristband or the mark under her right eye)

001.jpg

Vio popped her gum as she walked the halls, carrying her bag over one shoulder while some sort of side pocket hung from her belt, securely buttoned shut. The flame haired outcast had a certain something to her that was confident almost to pure cockiness. Even the staff made sure to step out of her way as if they could be risking being verbally blown.

“Go to college he says. Do something other than the fighting he says.” She grumbled, once again loudly popping the minty yet fruity chew in her mouth. “Cerberus, I’m going to beat your arse.”

((Like to think she wears colored contacts due to her reputation))

Attachments

• A9475095-6F93-47A6-919C-9906A2B5E770.png
    A9475095-6F93-47A6-919C-9906A2B5E770.png
    215 KB · Views: 7
Melody sighed as she blew a few strands of hair from her face. "What is it with this building..." The annoyance was clear in her voice ashe glared at the map in front of her face. She was so caught up in her annoyance that she didn't see the person in front of her. Slamming into a body she was surprised as she fell back onto her butt. "Ow..." she groaned with rubbing the side of her butt. Picking up her scattered papers she finally noticed that she had bumped into someone. A pretty if not slightly weirdly, by 'normal' standards, girl seeming to be muttering threats of some sort to someone under her breath. "U-uh..." Clearing her throat she pushed herself back to her feet, "Sorry... I wasn't looking where I was going... Are you ok?" she asked kicking her feet shyly. Just her luck to run into, physically so, a pretty girl and make herself look like a fool. "I-I got to get to class! Sorry again!" She rushed off blushing deeply wishing to disappear.

Vio barely was able to say she was just fine before the other girl vanished. She shook her head somewhat before noticing that a few papers she knew weren’t hers. Picking them up, red eyes scanned over the words before following towards the direction so she could return them. Having one’s schedule and copy of receipts probably would be nice.

Melody scolded herself for her inattention to her surroundings. She didn't have friends to begin with, not for a lack of trying, but now she probably made a really cute girl think she was some sort of airheaded klutz. Finding her English 101 class she slunk in at the last minute before a bell rang. Internally she couldn't help a scoff at that. What were they in, junior high? This was college, you shouldn't need a bell to tell you that classes have begun or ended. The only available seat was at the back and that made her sigh softly. Why were the fates against her by having the last seat available all the way in the back of the lecture hall by a window? It was like the universe was punishing her ever since her decision to flee Canada for her own safety and that of her family. Throughout the class she couldn't help half dozing off to the professors droning voice. It being the first day of classes meant that there wasn't going to be any work to do so she could afford to doodle without paying too much attention. She'd read the syllabus beforehand so it wasn't like she was missing too much.

The end of class came and when she searched for her schedule she panicked momentarily. It wasn't there! She could've sworn she had picked up all of her papers after bumping into the cute girl from earlier! She could return to the registrar and get another copy but she suspected it would cost her.. "Guess I'm not eating lunch today" she said to herself with a sigh. Shoving everything in her messenger bag, everything but her schedule and some convenience store snack receipts was there, she began to trudge through the hallways dejectedly. She hoped that she didn't run into anyone else since once was enough and she was mortified enough about embarrassing herself in front of a cute girl.

Last edited:
Vio managed to locate the girl from earlier, noticing her dejected expression. “I found your stuff though had to get first period knocked out .” She held them out to the other female, a paper clip conveniently preventing another loss. She gave a oddly nice smile despite likely intimidating those who came into contact that lit up her eyes just enough to hint her personality might not be so bad.

Melody almost let out a startled yelp at suddenly coming face to face with the girl from earlier. God she was going to probably laugh at her for being a total klutz and- The smile sent her way made her blush as she timidly took the clipped papers back. She hadn't thought that... Shaking her head mentally she forced her eyes to meet the red eyes of the other girl. Despite her seeming aura of arrogance, she'd been around enough arrogant people to know the aura anywhere, there was something of a tiny semblance of what could be kindness in her red eyes. Well, whatever color they actually were since no one naturally had red eyes unless they were albino and this girl was certainly not an albino. "Thanks... I uh... I'm a little new around here" she said with a nervous laugh as she scratched at her cheek. Oh goodness, she was rambling again and making a fool of herself probably. "You uh, wouldn't happen to know where the Freshman Bio lab is would you?" she asked shoving her receipts in her pocket while clutching her schedule a little too tight in her hand. God, she must really be painting herself as new as she was if her accent hadn't done that whens she first ran into the girl in front of her and apologized.

“Don’t sweat it. Actually have it next myself for some reason.” Vio admitted, looking over her own schedule. “Cerberus was supposed to tell them that I didn’t want to take anything not related to the empire.” She looked irritated in a sort of entertaining way, much like watching siblings bickering. “I forget my manners though. Name’s Vio, infamously titled the Alley Queen. You?” She asked, finding herself rather liking the cutie in front of her.

"Cerberus? How is a dog supposed to know what you're not wanting to take?" Melody asked without thinking. Then after a moment her blush darkened. She must sound so entirely dumb since obviously a dog hadn't organized the other girls classes or did the enrollment. Despite her growing embarrassment and wanting to hide away for the rest of eternity, watching the irritation flit across Vio's face was a tiny bit amusing. When the second part of the girls introduction came across her brows furrowed. "Alley Queen? Never heard of you. I'm new to the country" she said, her lip twitched down nearing into a light momentary frown. "What empire if you don't mind my asking? Oh, I'm Melody. So uh, I guess its best if we walk to class together than huh? You seem to have a better grasp of your way around than I do."

“Sounds reasonable. I’ll doodle you a map of the general layout so you can get better familiar.” Vio laughed at her confusion, trying to picture the image herself. “Bloody brilliant. Oh yeah, I’ll so tell him about this one. Cerberus is a dude that I consider my right hand, but he’s also the leader of a special group that are called the Hounds.” She explained, showing an understanding rather than judgment that revealed her laughter was from genuine humor. “Ah, I um...” She trailed off, gesturing they go into an empty room labeled for staff before she was going to explain. “In here. I’ll just tell anyone who says anything that I don’t like discussing business in public.”

When Vio erupted in laughter Melody cringed a little inside. At least she was until the brief explanation. What kind of empire could need a guy to operate a special group called the Hounds? What kind of empire necessitated someone like Vio in it to need a title like Alley Queen? Was it illegal? Was she talking to a criminal? A million thoughts swirled through her mind at the speed of light til she saw the motion of Vio's hand toward a door marked employee only. "You don't have to tell me, it's fine. If it puts you on the spot I'd rather not press. My parents did teach me right in that regard about not invading peoples privacy and all that jazz." Good manners and respect for other people were the only good things her conservative nutty religious asshole parents taught her. The eyes questioningly looking at them made her squirm a little. While some of the boys were looking at her for physical looks, she wasn't blind to that, and some of the girls were glaring at her for reasons unknown, she did see a fair few looks shot to Vio questioningly. Not just regular questioning looks but like a silent question was being asked about someone or someone. 'Maybe its me' she thought chewing her lip unconsciously, a habit she'd been trying to kill for the better part of five years despite the numerous people telling her it was cute on her. Did Vio have a boyfriend or girlfriend that she didn't know about and now had to worry about coming to beat her up for what LOOKED like her hitting on the other girl? She didn't know but she made a motion with her hand for them to head to the lab, she really didn't like how these people kept looking at her and then to Vio.

Vio nodded, leading her to the next class though stayed close enough for talking quietly so no one else could hear. “I control the underground of this state pretty much. Black market, gangs, whatever shady stuff people do and outright illegal activity I’m the one that they have to answer to.” She commented, being mindful enough to play songs to further mask the conversation. “That’s my empire, and Cerberus is my most trusted friend. The Hounds are all very dangerous criminals who have no trouble with killing or other distasteful tasks. No idea what reason they’re loyal to me to such a degree. Maybe even thy have a soft side.”

The outright admission that the empire Vio had referred to was a vast criminal one that spanned the whole state, she had her doubts that someone her age could control the entirety of anything that large, gave her immediate mental pause even as her body kept moving. This could be very good or very bad depending on what side of Vio she was on. On one hand she could have, a maybe friend?, someone to help her with any problems should hell break loose and her ex somehow find her. On the other hand, if Vio DID control such a large network of criminals and killers - until she saw proof she'd be dubious- and she somehow slighted the other girl in such a way to inspire rage she could just as easily be dead herself. Not that she ever said anything bad about people or did anything bad to others but it was the principle of the conclusion that mattered. "If you already have such a profitable 'business' " she hoped she didn't sound judgy since she was rather attached to living "why are you here? Surely there are far more important things for you to manage than college essays and some guy trying to.." She shook her head killing the sentence midway. "I mean, someone like you obvious has to have someone that can't be happy with you being ogled like fresh prime rib." Yes, nice save she thought patting herself on the back. Flattery and deflection to cover up what she nearly said. God it was going to be hard being around so many beautiful young women, admittedly Vio was a beauty herself in her own light, and trying to keep herself from hitting on them. She'd need to sort out a way to suppress her urges again though this time it wouldn't be to not be scorned but not drive away potential friends. Which was what she wanted more than anything right now, even more than the desire to indulge in a relationship with another woman; to be held, kissed so gently and cherished like she was the ultimate gift in their life... Everything that she never got with him. "Everyone has a soft side" she said with a sigh. It wasn't wrong but not everyone had the luxury to indulge in what their soft side yearned for.

"Nice of you to join us ladies."

Melody sighed again. "I apologize professor, I'm still fairly new to the city and this country. Vio here was assisting me to keep from getting more lost than I already was" she said.

"Don't let it happen again. Street rat, you sit in the front row where I can keep an eye on you."

Melody frowned deeply finding the rude and disrespectful way the man spoke to Vio grating her nerves. Higher education was an equalizer for everyone, not a way to laud a position of authority over your perceived inferiors. She tilted her head toward a pair of seat at the front, the only two available.

“Really Professor Davidson, not today. I’ve had a bad enough week without your attitude added too.” Vio sighed, getting into one of the desks. She didn’t bother writing notes but instead apparently used a small recorder. “You have a lovely set of twin girls though. It’s good my Hounds was able to prevent them from becoming traffickers’ victims you know?” She commented, looking at him thoughtfully. “It just makes you burn doesn’t it? I just had to make one phone call and you couldn’t even get a lead working with police.”

Melody didn't say a word at the miniature pissing match between Vio and the bio professor. While she vaguely recalled the cops and FBI busting a huge human trafficking ring, seeing the professors hands clench tightly enough that a piece of chalk shattered into many smaller ones worried her. Vio was playing with fire and the girl wasn't even flinching. Against what her self-preservation instincts were telling her, she pinched the other girl to steal her attention away from the red faced professor. Against her own pride she whipped out her puppy dog eyes silently begging Vio to shut the hell up. Already she'd gotten a fair amount of people far too curious if she was in some sort of relationship with Vio, the curse of having really, but having professors actively HATING Vio could ruin her academically just for being right now in the girls sphere of association. Not that she was trying to be purely selfish either, the other girl had been kind to her so far when she brushed off or merely ogled by everyone else and she was everything BUT ungrateful.

The professor glared harshly at the bane of his life in this city. While the street rat was right, the street rat also cost him custody of his daughters because she couldn't control her own scum soldiers from acting on their depravities.

The lesson flew by peppered by snide expressions and glares aimed at her & Vio. More than once she had to pinch the other girl to hopefully keep her from saying anything worse. Apologetic looks were sent, probably not helping people thinking she was in a relationship of sorts with Vio that was only making her anxieties worse Vio had an actual partner who might here this, every time she did pinch the other but trying to keep some semblance of peace on the first day seemed to be the best idea. "Sorry about in there" she said with an apologetic attempt at a smile. On many young women like her, cute at the least and beautiful in a way that was uniquely her but she thought it to be purely flattery, it could be seen as teasing or attractive with the intent of an ulterior motive but not with her; with her it was purely apologetic. "Rising to the bait of other people, especially those with authority in academia, is wasted effort. People like him look for reasons to take you down in the only way they have power to do so. I don't what you want to call this" she waved a hand through the air between them "but I'm saying this to look out for your success. This isn't the street. You aren't queen here. You have to make calculated steps to topple a goliath."

Vio ruffled her hair with something resembling perhaps affection or a type of warmth not shown to others, smiling at her with a look that showed exhaustion beyond her years. “You’re really a wonderful, kindhearted person to worry about me. I don’t care what these people do though. It’s not going to make a difference in the business or how they look at it either.” She commented, dropping her bag on the floor so she could lean against the wall. Several scars became visible as her clothes shifted, the fabric revealing mostly faint badges of battles yet a couple were not as easy to miss. “Sometimes wish people would look though. This empire I live for, the reflection I have now. If only someone cared enough to ask.” She muttered as she shook her head, giving a glimpse of what had to be a very nasty scar on her chest.

The ruffle of her hair had Melody pouting internally since her hair was already wild enough most of the time, today being a miraculous exception. The tiredness in Vio's voice made her frown as her eyes caught on some old scars dotting the other girls skin, particularly what looked like a gnarly one peeking through the slightly exposed neck of her shirt. "Some people might be afraid that asking would result in them getting hurt for it. Others.... People like me, they may not simply ask because it seems to weigh on you quite a bit. There's so much weight the human soul can take, reliving the past anguish for others to understand.. That ultimately hurts the person trying to make people understand the who, what, when, where, why and how. We might not be friends officIally but if you want to talk, I'll listen. No judgement, no condemnation or ridicule; I'll just listen. Everyone needs someone they can rely on to vent even if it's a stranger." Her words were soft spoken as she reached down and squeezed down on Vio's hand comfortingly for a moment. "I had to leave my family and country to escape not only a control freak ex that my highly religious conservative parents forced me to date but the majority of my equally hjghly religious nut bag conservative relatives just to keep them safe from him. Not all survivor tales need to be spoken of. Sometimes just knowing there are people around that can relate to the pain even if its such a minute degree helps so much more hurting yourself more by reliving the past." Deciding to take the risk, though she thought she was ultimately going to regret it later if the student body got it around their whispers, she leaned over and kissed Vio's cheek softly for only just a moment. "I'll see you around" she said pulling back with the softest and most gentle look in her eyes before making her way toward her next class, the sign clearly hung a fair bit down the hall.

What she didn't see were three buff dudes with tattoos around hers and Vio's age stop near the girl. "She giving you trouble boss?"

"You want us to deal with her?"

Vio shook her head, chuckling somewhat softly as she slipped a hand into one pocket to pull out a deck of cards. Shuffling them thoughtfully, the red head drew up the queen of hearts and the ace of clubs seemingly at random. “I like her. Good kid and a good heart.” She answered, a glint entering her gaze that showed her growing excitement. “Spread word that I don’t consider this ex of hers welcome in our house. The abusive bastard is seen, deliver his sorry arse directly to my office so I can enjoy a short chat before he’s dealt with.” She ordered with quiet authority before the deck vanished back into her pocket. “On another note, I do want you boys to remind those football idiots that they need to stop harassing girls who aren’t interested in their pants. I am one more arse grab away from breaking bones.”

The three guys shared a look at their bosses sudden excitement. They knew their boss was partial to certain tastes and the fact this new girl, this girl who wasn't even american, seemed rather odd. Sure they'd seen her chase after another woman once or twice but those time had been someone the boss knew for an extended period of time prior. This new girl though, no one knew her from joe smo off the street. Neverthe less the guys shrugged their shoulders. The bosses business was the bosses business, she knew how to take care of herself. "If you want this dirt bag kept an eye out for, do you want someone watching her too?" the smallest of the bunch, ironically nicknamed Big Mack, asked scratching at his neck.

"Oi, the boss already said what she wants done. Don't assume nothin else" the leader of the trio scoffed smacking the other guy upside the head. "We'll get on it boss. Trash night has become every night of the week."

Down the hall Melody froze as a chill went down her spine. What the source of the chill was she didn't know but it wasn't one that frightened her surprisingly. What that meant for her she didn't know but she did chance a final look back at Vio spotting her talking to some buff and tattooed guys and chanced the faintest smile at her. Whatever it was the girl had spoken to the guys about seemed to excite her and for that she was at least glad. Tired and weary beyond her years didn't sit well on a beautiful young woman like Vio. Disappearing into her next class she lost sight of the redhead. Vio could take care of herself, the scars on her body proved that, so she could safely toss out that the girl would be in an unpleasant situation she couldn't handle.

Last edited:
“I’ll have Camilla handle making sure she’s not harmed by the ruffians. She’s antsy from being out of the action lately. This will let the chameleon distract herself until she’s needed specifically.” Vio answered, knowing she couldn’t be too careful with her soft spots. However it could very easily turn out to be one sided infatuation. “Though I must thank you for reminding me of a particular... arrangement I’m not liking right now. Get yourselves to class but don’t forget to handle what you were told to do. I’ll be in a faculty meeting for a few hours unfortunately.” In other words, someone who made a deal with the underground empire screwed up badly enough that she was going to ruin the poor soul.

OOC: apologies in advance if his thoughts sound like godmodding, given the npc is close to Vio I thought his thoughts could be used to add to background drama

The leader of the trio cocked an eyebrow at the declaration. Camilla 'The Chameleon' Ramirez wasn't someone to take lightly nor was she easily found unless she wanted to be found or Vio ordered her presence. Between Camilla's stealth abilities and seamless talent of blending into any crowd made her a fearsome opponent to be had & a far more fearsome ally to behold at your side. It was certainly speaking to the level of interest that Vio had for this foreign girl. "A word if I could be so bold" he said motioning for the other two scatter to their classes. "Vio, I helped your build and network this empire but I have to say this as your friend and not your advisor- try not to fall in love with this girl. I love you as my sister in all-but-blood and my friend. I don't want to see your heart get broken again after that bitch Rachael stomped all over it like it was some toy for her to destroy at her leisure" he said once the other guys were gone. "Take my words and listen or don't but I only mean to protect your heart and our shared interests. Think it over before you do anything that you might regret or just might hurt you in the end. You don't know her and she doesn't know you. Even if she does come to like you there's no way to guarantee she would stick by you when she sees the monsters we truly are. Even if we are monsters of a just cause." With everything said he parted ways with Vio and a pat on the shoulder, the barest hint of a cursive tattoo reading Cerberus showing against the back of his hand. He hoped Vio gave what he said a good think on. As much of a badass as she was, as tough as Vio was, there was a part of her he knew that was still wanting to love and be loved back but had trouble trusting in that department. The Hounds protect the interests of the underworld but protecting the one holding the reigns was his job.

The next couple of classes came and went with little fanfare. A few times she nearly got lost but a few people were kind enough to awkwardly point her the right way. A couple of times she thought she saw Vio in the halls but felt a little disappointed when it actually wasn't her. She couldn't explain why she was disappointed but she was. Finding her way to the main campus cafeteria area she grabbed something light to snack on before finding an empty bench under the shade. Some people passed and gave her a slight wave, ones she returned with a tiny awkward smile, yet no one tried to stop and talk to her. Shaking her head in defeat she ate her salad and tossed the container away. "Might as well finish the day out and get home" she muttered to herself finding her way back to the east building where her fist class. Maybe she'd catch another glimpse of Vio?

Last edited:
Vio sighed tiredly at the exit, having finally finished speaking with teachers to catch up on anything along with other business. Luckily the principal excused her as she was busy during the time but now she really just wanted to return to the abandoned appartment building she called home sweet home. While her empire stayed situated in the lower floors, the young woman had made the top floor somewhat suitable to live in. It was amazing the difference a bit of electricity and running water could make.

Melody was about to exit the main building as her last class just ended when she spotted Vio. A small smile did pull at her lips though she wasn't quite sure why. "Hey" she said shifting her bag a little. The absence of the other had been upsetting for a reason she'd spent most of the day trying to figure out. Maybe it had to do with them both being survivors of hard circumstance, maybe it wasn't but there was something about Vio she couldn't deny. "I was going to go get something to eat and a cup of coffee, you want to join me?" she asked grinding the toe of her shoe shyly against the ground. If she had to pin it down to anything she'd say that there was a sort of animal magnetism about Vio. She was beautiful, that was undeniable, and she suspected in the back of her mind that the universe might be trying to tell her something. Shaking the thought away mentally she offered her arm. "I know this cute little cafe not to far away. If you got stuff to do I understand."

Vio turned towards the female when she began speaking, a slight smile that was becoming apparent as her usual expression appearing. “Sounds fun. Certainly better than just going back to the living space and all.” She commented, yet another odd phrasing being used. “Aw, it’s adorable how shy you keep being with me.” She chuckled, unable to resist teasing as she took the offered arm. “I about want to make you my little cuddle buddy just to see more.”

Melody raised an eyebrow a little at Vio's choice of words to describe where she lived. It sounded like such a detached way to describe where you live, like it wasn't really a place she wanted to be but it was a roof over her head. When she felt the arm around her own and heard the tease she felt an atomic blush stain her cheeks. The thought of being held that close to the other girl was an enticing mental image but ultimately an embarrassing one to. Her sister had described her as a clingy cuddly person and while it wasn't a bad thing for couples, her and Vio were NOT a couple. The only reliable sound to escape her lips was a low embarrassed squeak before tugging the other girl away quickly as she felt a malicious glare being aimed at her from somewhere nearby.

The walk to the cafe took maybe five minutes but all along the way she heard some people make comments about how cute a couple they were. Such comments only made her blush darken and unconsciously try to hide her face in Vio's shoulder. It didn't help the image and only made some women fawn over how adorable it was for her to be so loving with her 'girlfriend'. When they made it to the little hole in the wall cafe she couldn't have been happier for the shady shop. Hesitantly she took her arm back as the loud but friendly cafe owners voice echoed out welcoming them. "I'll have my normal Mr. Hale" she said taking a seat at the counter. "I didn't see you after Bio, where were you all day?" she asked glancing over to Vio and making a motion of her head for her to take a nearby stool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back