• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic A New Home (Colonization RP)

Archie

Not even my final form
Supporter
Fermi's paradox. Those are two words scientist back on earth used to describe a strange problem - since humans started listening for alien radio signals, we hadn't found any. This great question would get an answer, but it wasn't the one we wanted.

It was August of 2227. Mars had been terraformed, Venus's gas had been dispersed to the point at which it was habitable too. Huge underwater cities existed in Titan, discovering the vast ecosystem of marine animals below Titan's ice. Humanity discovered warp technologies, and could move huge distances across our corner of the galaxy. Archer-5 and Chengliu-9, the first warp-equipped manned missions, had been trying to find alien civilization for 10 years. Humans reminisced back to sci-fi shows that imagined a glorious mission of exploration and diplomacy.

BURST_PROJECTOR.jpg_w=360&fm=jpg

What they got was different. Archer-5 found a civilization, built by tripod aliens called the Ma'tak - who instantly shot it out of the sky. World leaders panicked. All the superpowers immediately scrambled to commission space defense forces. Scientists finally got their answer to the Fermi Paradox. According to the Drake Equation, there should have been millions of species in this galaxy. Why, after 10 years of warp travel, did Archer-5 and Chengliu-9, not find a single lifeform? Because they realized, the Drake Equation didn't consider war.

Across the vast distances of space, where radio signals take not seconds, but millenia, to arrive at their destination, communication is only possible by warp ship - which is equally slow. With such slow communications, finding out about alien races' intentions is impossible. Slow communications bred fear, and fear bred aggression. In this situation, the only races that survived first contact were the most paranoid and aggressive - those who struck first and wiped out all other intelligent life they knew of. The Ma'tak were such a race.

After 10 years, the fleets of the Atlantic Federation, Eurasian Union, and the Celestial Republic of East Asia combined numbered over 5,000 ships. Humanity thought it was safe, that it would win a great space battle against the enemy. Instead, Ma'tak technology reached a level beyond what we could imagine. They had contained a concentrated antimatter weapon in a single ball of fluid, and warped it outside Earth orbit. As soon as it hit Earth's atmosphere, it reacted with the hydrogen, and exploded, destroying home as we knew it.

5aa2f1aec6e980060a8b45eb-750-396.jpg

The human fleet knew it was in danger. Abandoning Mars and Venus to their fate, the admirals of the three superpowers ordered their fleets in different directions, looking to settle worlds. Those that refused were killed in mutiny by their own men.

The people of Mars were alone. Divided into colonies of the three superpowers for ages, they had to come together. Through a lottery, each colonial nation picked an equal number to board the ships that remained, and settle a new colony across the galaxy.

hqdefault.jpg

You are one of the lucky 1% of the Martian colonists who were chosen, and have set off on a warp-capable space station. After a year of travelling, the navigation officer announced an interesting discovery - an earthlike world has been detected, and landfall will take place in a week. However, not all is well in the new civilization. East Asia, Eurasia, and Atlantia had been fighting for a century, and all their governments had degraded into oppressive military dictatorships. Members of the three militaries are feuding with one another over who should control the new planet, and whether Humanity should divide or unite under one roof. Their reign is also opposed by the civilian majority aboard the ship, who resent the continuation of the old ways in the new civilization.

DA63556D210230DC6B3F2396811C0DB8FA7A52A5

But there is one problem that complicates them all. The planet has intelligent life, and they are far more alike to humans than the Ma'tak. The society on the planet is in a Medieval condition, and the ship's leaders need to decide on a course of action. Should humanity wipe them out? Build a new society with them? Pose as Gods to rule over them? Enslave them completely? Will contact with the aliens spread diseases that could wipe out both races? Will humanity create a new way, or prove to be just as paranoid as the Ma'tak?

In this RP, you can play as both aliens on the planet and humans on the ship. I'd love to have some people help me flesh out the back story both of Earth and the planet.

Let me know below or in PM if you're interested or have any suggestions!

I saw the words 'Fermi's paradox' when I moused over this and clicked on it so quickly, the sound woke my cat up....

I especially love the idea of the planet's current population being 'less advanced' than the humans! It's always the aliens who are the futuristic, technologically savvy ones but in this case, humans are the aliens which I think is a fun twist on the standard take.

(It could also be cool to explore how the planet's inhabitants don't quite line up with what humanity presumes to be 'medieval', both because this is a unique species/society that may have developed quite differently, and because humanity doesn't tend to be great at understanding- or remembering- the minutiae of history!)

I would definitely be interested! Were you thinking of doing this here on the site or offsite somewhere?

I saw the words 'Fermi's paradox' when I moused over this and clicked on it so quickly, the sound woke my cat up....

I especially love the idea of the planet's current population being 'less advanced' than the humans! It's always the aliens who are the futuristic, technologically savvy ones but in this case, humans are the aliens which I think is a fun twist on the standard take.

(It could also be cool to explore how the planet's inhabitants don't quite line up with what humanity presumes to be 'medieval', both because this is a unique species/society that may have developed quite differently, and because humanity doesn't tend to be great at understanding- or remembering- the minutiae of history!)

I would definitely be interested! Were you thinking of doing this here on the site or offsite somewhere?

That would be a great idea - I haven't worked out what the aliens would be like yet, so the more creative we can get the better.

Definitely onsite

Ah, the unfortunate truth that science fiction avoids for the most part. Any civilization with warp capability has access to the ultimate WMD, though it appears that neither the humans nor the
Ma'tak have chosen/thought to use it. Anyway, the last time we worked together things went unfortunately sideways despite a good background and storyline. Not your fault there Archie Archie , so I'm willing to throw my hat into the ring for another go. Are we going to be determining things like Class of star, planetary makeup/gravity/etc., system makeup, planetary biology/biodiversity/evolution for our Medieval (by evolution, or by choice/design) aliens?

Tarmagon Tarmagon yeah for sure, I definitely wanted the aliens to be more "human like" than the Ma'tak who didn't even have 3 legs to add a moral dimension to the story - like, what are the humans going to do - but their society could be a whole other picture, and completely different to how humans organize themselves.

Archie Archie So, human-like only in that have 'human' characteristics like identifiable emotions, or humanoid in form but definitely not human.

That’s good to know, I can definitely understand why people might prefer doing stuff off-site for whatever reason, but I’m still relatively new to RPNation and am most comfortable here for now!

I love thinking about fictional aliens and societies, because I get to pick and choose cool parts of biology and history and try to make something make sense :closed eyes open smile:

Here’s some brainstorms I’ve got on possible alien concepts:

• I love the theory (even though it’s prol not true!) that prehistoric creatures were large due to the different atmosphere, so maybe our aliens are humanoid in appearance when viewed from up above and the colonists don’t quite realize that the scale is off, and the aliens are actual about a third to a half size bigger than them.
    • I like this because size can be intimidating and even with their weapons and technology, it would fun to see the colonists be literally ‘looked down on’
    • If they do decide to get along, colonists could not use structures that are too small for them, but could exist in those too large
    • How do the aliens maintain their frames? Hollow bones? More extensive lung-type systems? Does their size make them stronger or weaker? If weaker, what innovations have they created to manage larger structures, or are those few and far between?

• Owl eyes- Owls have ‘tubes’ instead of ‘balls’ which I think would be a neat alien trait, and inherently make their expressions more difficult to interpret by humans since they cannot move their eyes inside their heads.
    • Owls are best at seeing at night and in dim light, so what is the ‘light’ situation on this planet? How far is it from the sun? If it is similar to earth in its night/day patterns, how does the species adapt to this? To they tend to live more nocturnally, resting in the shadow of mountains and working/hunting in the more open areas once it is darker out?
    • Owls have good binocular vision and great distance vision, but are not so great at seeing up close. Would a species who can’t see things at arms distance very well have bothered developing a written language or script? Maybe they have a tactile script like braille or something carved into thin wood, or maybe they have been able to develop a way to record sound instead of images. What does their art look/sound/feel like?
    • Can they move their necks the way owls can? If not, how have they compensated for the limitations of only being able to see directly in front of them? Maybe their society is strongly cooperative because of this, and places a high value on large group structures in order to protect themselves.

• Physical variances in ages, genders, and sub-species
    • Metamorphosis is pretty cool in general but it could also be a great source of conflict between the colonists and the aliens. I would never guess a caterpillar was the same species as a moth or vice versa, and the colonists could easily assume that those large, purplish blobs that the aliens keep in fenced in areas and regularly feed and tend to are livestock similar to cows. And depending on how long that assumption lasts or how it is revealed that the colonists are mistaken, the fact that those large blobs are actually the alien’s children or elders could go very badly indeed
      • This could def. be accomplished through things beyond a species that does metamorphosis. Maybe there actually are two sentient, distinct species on the planet? Or what the humans took to be a species with sexual trimorphism is actually a dimorphic species and the ‘differences’ they were perceiving between the aliens they had met had absolutely nothing to do with reproduction at all.

I love speculating but I feel like I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit- The planet in front of the spaceship maybe? Not sure that metaphor works, but whatever!

What were you imagining the relationship between the military ships and the civilian ships might be like- Obviously they seem to have different political agendas, but are they in communication with one another, either through communication channels or because they are traveling closely enough to send shuttles back and forth? Do the civilians feel that having the military with them to approach this new planet is a positive thing (because they can and will protect them from threats), or a negative thing (because they think the military will muck it up, or may be just as much a threat to citizens as any aliens)? Is there any government or authority system that exists outside the militaries?

I'd like to join.

How do the aliens differ from humans in appearance? I'd like to know for face-claim's sake so I don't post an image that isn't in line with the alien species as you see them.

Last edited:
Interested heavily. Oh and are humans advanced enough for cybernetics or synthetic biological additions?

Typical humans. Playing with forces they can't control. Definitely interested in playing the aliens. Tired of humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back