Journal A new hire at work is annoying me

I work retail at a great company, and I really enjoy it. Honestly, most of us are using this place as either a job while we're in college or as a retirement job. Our work culture centers around teamwork and work-life balance. If we can't do something for whatever reason, we alert one another.

I end up close my department with two new hires. Our manager asked two of us to stock for another department in the back because it was slow. The new hire who was left out on the floor went off to shop around the rest of the store without radioing either of us in the back, and when a customer came to our department, someone else radioed me. The wandering new hire only slunk back over to the department after she saw me helping the customer.

When I asked her why didn't she alert us that she was stepping away, she just shrugged and said that no one was there. She then proceeded to text on her phone for the rest of the shift, out on the floor.

Even if there were no customers, we need someone on the floor. She could have tidied up the displays or put out more stock onto pegs. Honestly, I don't mind covering a coworker when they want to shop. I just need to know that is what they are doing.

P.s. She didn't opt to do stocking because it would be hurt her shoulder. Though I would have done it because I could have my phone out without getting into trouble.

I work in a deli and this summer they hired a new lady to replace someone who had recently quit. The first time I worked with her I wasn’t even there for five minutes when I watched her reach into the raw chicken bucket and proceed to pull the chicken out without gloves on not only is that a serious eww I don’t remember her really washing her hands afterwards. She was also kind of an unpleasant person, she’d swear like a sailor in front of customers, got snappy with one of the other girls (who was like the sweetest person ever), and to top it all off a month into the job she pulled the no call no show and didn’t come into work. My coworkers had to send me the S.O.S. Because she wasn’t answering her phone and I had to go into work on my days off not once, not twice, but three times because of her. The next time I saw her she was slinking in to grab her paycheck and then immediately left.

Last edited:
I work in a deli and this summer they hired a new lady to replace someone who had recently quit. The first time I worked with her I wasn’t even there for five minutes when I watched her reach into the raw chicken bucket and proceed to pull the chicken out without gloves on not only is that a serious eww I don’t remember her really washing her hands afterwards. She was also kind of an unpleasant person, she’d swear like a sailor in front of customers, got snappy with one of the other girls (who was like the sweetest person ever), and to top it all off a month into the job she pulled the no call no show and didn’t come into work. My coworkers had to send me the S.O.S. Because she wasn’t answering her phone and I had to go into work on my days of not once, not twice, but three times because of her. The next time I saw her she was slinking in to grab her paycheck and then immediately left.
That is terrible.

Another new hire irked me yesterday. This new hire only stocks and hasn't been trained for any of the front-facing departments yet. A customer asks her for help, so she brings the customer across the store, away from the department the item is located, past other employees who were asking if they could help the customer, and asks me to help the customer.

I explain to the customer that I cannot leave my department since I am the only one there at the moment. I radio someone more knowledgable about the kind of product he is looking for to meet him in my department and walk him over to the item. The new hire then starts to complain to me about how the customer doesn't know what he is talking about. IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMER! I tell her to go back to work and that I have this under control. I apologize to the customer about her behavior and chat with him until the coworker I called for walks ups and takes over.

I hope that if management decides to keep this new hire, she just gets stuck in the back forever and is never allowed on the sales floor again.

(Side Note: The customer was super polite and knew what kind of item he would like. He also knew he doesn't know what he doesn't know, so he asked some really relevant questions. I have no clue why the new hire went off the rails about him.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back